InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradigm Shift ❯ Perspectives ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Paradigm Shift

Chapter Three: Perspectives

The noise was deafening as it echoed through the air. Sesshomaru had easily blocked the determined swing of the much lager weapon, despite its size. Not half as deafening as the shrill scream that left Kagome's lungs.

"INUYASHA!" She screamed his name and reached one arm out toward where the hanyou was sliding roughly across the terrain, having been propelled backward by the force of Sesshomaru's counter swing.

Inuyasha sprung from the dirt easily as he heard her voice. He heard the urgency in her tone and nothing else, and then he saw Kouga standing by Sesshomaru's side. The little logic that he could have used to understand what was going on before him fled in an instant in the swirling mix of that urgent scream, the blow that had flung him out of reach, and the sight of the wolf poised for battle.

Feet pounded quickly over the grass as he lunged again. Inuyasha's swing barely missed Kouga as he saw the approaching slash of Tetsusaiga and buckled his knees in a crouch.

"We trusted you, wolf! I TRUSTED YOU! I trusted you with her and you took her to him!?"

A brief snarl left Sesshomaru in his offense at the implication that he was suddenly regarded as an enemy once more. He sheathed his sword regardless of it. Kouga had no time to reply as he spent his energy on dodging Inuyasha's attacks.

'this situation is spiraling further and further out of control and getting more and more surreal.' Kagome thought as she watched the scene in rising horror. Sesshomaru's claws began to glow with a bright green flare as he raised them to intensify the fight.

"No! Stop!" She yelled.

Either none of them heard her over the sounds of their struggle, or none of them were willing to listen. Rin's head turned from her chest to watch the proceedings with wide eyes. As she watched Sesshomaru's knees bend in preparation to meet Inuyasha in the air, desperation clawed at her throat and tears once more stung at her eyes. She clutched the precious child in her arms closer to her and covered the girl's ears as she drew in a breath so deep that it made her lungs ache.

"INUYASHA! SIT!"

The sight of a streak of red and white plummeting from high in the air to the ground below him made her want to shut her eyes, but she couldn't. She stared in an exhausted half-in-shock state as the impact brought a massive thud with it.

Even as Kagome became aware of her rapid breaths, and the thought that she might be beginning to hyperventilate crept somewhere in the back of her mind, she took in the sight of the aftermath. She gave a flinch at the damage that was caused by Inuyasha's impact. She watched Kouga; with one hand across his ribs and the other covering his mouth in mirth. Sesshomaru's impassive gaze at them both, passing quickly as he turned to her. She could almost imagine him lifting a sculpted eyebrow at her in humor, though he was too far away for her to make out a clear expression on his face. Rin's shoulders shook in her grasp, and as Ah-Un landed once more and began walking toward the trio, there was an unmistakeable swish to and fro of his tail.

His gait was smooth and unconcerned as Sesshomaru turned his back on the others and made his way to Kagome, Rin, and Ah-Un. He came near enough to the two atop the dragon that Kagome felt the brush of cool silk along her thigh and knee. She gave a small shudder at the sensation in her state of heightened senses from the adrenaline.

Their lips parted at the same moment and closed in unison in the next.

Her smile was strained but genuine, knowing that he would wait for her to speak first. She reached timid fingers out to him and a whispered "Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru." Left her. The title was foreign on her tongue, but she could see the approval of it in small lightening of the shade of his eyes. Unbidden, the thought of how expressive his eyes were and how similar that was to Inuyasha.. and how that seemed st startling somehow, that he could be similar in any way to his half-brother in such a personal way; so different from just a similarity of the color in their eyes or the color of their hair. That slight shift in color, just a shade lighter than the typical deep gold of Sesshomaru's eyes made her feel like she's glimpsed some well-hidden secret that he kept; a secret that spoke of what might lay inside of him- the same way that Inuyasha's eyes betrayed his emotions, his heart… his soul to her so often. She blinked and the moment was broken. "And I'm sorry about Inuyasha." She said in a louder, but ragged voice.

Kagome still held Rin in her arms, and her head flipped back and to between Kagome and Sesshomaru as the silence stretched. She slid her far leg over Ah-Uh's back, thankful that her modesty was preserved by the child in her arms. She could feel the fabric of her uniform skirt bunch precariously around her thighs, sliding far too high on her flesh than she was comfortable with at this proximity to Sesshomaru. She could still feel the caress of silk sliding over her skin as she repositioned herself with both legs before his chest.

She was also hyper-aware that though her undergarments and more personal areas may be covered by Rin's small presence; her little body also left her in a position that felt just as, if not more, exposed. Legs spread to accommodate the girl, and knees now pressed softly into the chest of the man before her. Unbidden, she felt her face flush and her ears heat at the sight she must present to him. Her breath caught in her throat as he reached forward and slid his large, clawed hand very briefly across the top of her hip, over the small of her back, and to her other side. He gripped her waist tightly and pulled her flush to that hard expanse where her knees were just moments ago; the quick slide of the leather saddle burned the back of her thighs as the sweat on them made her legs stick to the saddle. She barely registered that in her surprise.

He jostled her once to adjust his hold, and gripped her thigh now, Rin cradled between them as he finished dragging them off of Ah-Un's Back. The entire process and the intimate touches that were used sent a spark of something shooting straight through her as Sesshomaru crouched down and her feet touched the ground. She lowered Rin out of her arms moments after, giving a small cough into a fist against her lips as she broke eye contact. When he spoke, she couldn't face him again as she heard his slow intake of air near her, knowing that he could smell the effect he had wrought from her traitorous body.

"You have no need to apologize for my errant half-brother, nor do you have need to thank me, yet again, for anything."

With her face still directed toward where Kouga was now sitting on the field, waiting for Inuyasha to move, she fought another shudder at the undertones that came with the octave drop in his voice. Her eyebrows drew together and she forced her head up to look at him, nearly backing up a step at the intensity in his face.

"For Rin. Thank you for Rin. For trusting me to keep her safe." She paused and bit at her lip. "It means a lot to me that you would." And her eyes left his face again.

"It was- He hesitated, needing to choose the right words to impart his message accurately. "It is indisputable that you protect fiercely, Kagome." The sound of her name on his lips for the second time made her breath hitch. She wondered if it felt as foreign in his mouth as his title had felt in hers. Then the flush in her face deepened as her hormones attempted her to be distracted by the fact that she was thinking of his mouth at all. "I have experienced first-hand your fierce nature when you are determined to protect someone." The near miss of an arrow shooting by his ear flashed before her eyes and she grinned.

"I guess you have, huh?" She was unprepared for the rise in the volume of his voice as he called, "Rin" firmly. The girl halted immediately at his call. "Do not go any closer." Rin had been only a dozen steps from them, walking in the direction of Kouga's bored interest with Inuyasha's still prone form.

He turned from Kagome and walked to Rin's side. She thought she may have heard a whisper of you are welcome as he did so, but she thought that it could have easily have been her imagination. With the moment gone, whatever it had been, she moved in the same direction and passed the pair, coming to sit by Kouga as he watched Inuyasha.

She grimaced as she looked at the hanyou. His face had turned, cheek resting on the ground, but otherwise hadn't moved from where he had hit the earth. His eyes bore into her with a furious expression. He finally rolled over onto his back and sat up, facing away from them.

"You wanna tell me what the hell is going on?"

"I told you that I would tell Sesshomaru what happened after he left, myself!"

Inuyasha spun on the ground to face her.

"You didn't have to let the wolf attack me and then carry you off somewhere! What was I supposed to think!"

"He does it all the time Inuyasha! He's never hurt me before! Why would he start now!? Why can't you just use your brain for once and think before you start swinging weapons around!? Idiot."

He only glowered at her.

"It was important!"

"You couldn't have known that!"

"She could, actually. She asked me about it." Kouga interrupted.

"Stay out of it!" Inuyasha yelled back."

"Leave him alone, Inuyasha! UGH! Just! You! SIT!"

The force was much smaller this time, but it didn't stop Kouga from snickering at the second faceful of dirt that Inuyasha was getting. The mirth only made her bristle further as she balled her fists at her side and turned from them.

Rin was still a ways off, her and Ah-Un sitting on the grass, the dragon looking quite content with the small scratches on both of his snouts. Sesshomaru had just stepped up to take a post on her other side, eyes passing over first her, then Kouga, and landing on Inuyasha.

"You would have withheld information that could mean the outbreak of an uprising in my lands?"

Inuyasha huffed.

"How utterly thoughtless of you, Inuyasha. I doubt you even took a moment to think of what the actions and words of the Panther Tribe could have meant. For all we know, it may even be stirrings of intent to war with my lands."

"If it's all that damn serious, then why are you still here?"

Kagome could hear the clatter of stones as Kouga kicked his foot out across the dirt before standing. When she looked, his face was drawn again, and a glare was directed at Inuyasha.

"Jaken is fit enough to carry the warning to my lands. Measures will be taken to prepare heightened defenses."

The silence after that was almost tangible. Sesshomaru turned and gestured for Rin and Ah-Un to approach now that he was sure there would not be another clash between himself and Inuyasha for now.

"We will be accompanying your little band." He declared.

An indignant look at his back from Inuyasha.

"What do you-

"I will be as well." Kouga spoke up.

Inuyasha gaped at them both.

"What do you mean you're coming with us!? Like hell you are! Either of you!"

"Inuyasha….sit" And Kagome closed her eyes.

"We should go back to the village and find the others, check on the villagers too…" She suggested. Kouga gave a nod, and Sesshomaru a hum of agreement.