InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Possession ❯ Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Possession 06
 
 
Ten Years Earlier
 
 
"Inuyasha!"
 
A flash of red and white. "I see it, Kagome," he yelled. "Stay where you are!"
 
She didn't listen to him; she should have listened to him. "I'm not letting you go alone!"
 
He spun around. "Naraku is mine," he said harshly, gripping the sword with both hands.
 
She planted her hands on her hips and glared him into submission. "I'm going with you, you need me! Without me you won't find the jewel and if you don't find the jewel you won't find Naraku. So quit arguing with me."
 
Inuyasha growled, but she knew she'd already won't the fight. Stamping over to her, he turned his back and crouched. "Get on my back then," he said sullenly. "At least if I'm carrying you, I can still protect you. Just don't pull my hair, okay?"
 
"Deal." Kagome slung her bow over her shoulder and leaned into him, letting Inuyasha boost her into the position most comfortable for him. Her hands clenched in his red haori and she leaned over his shoulder and gave him a faint smile. It was the first smile of hers he'd seen in days and she thought she saw his eyes lighten a bit, although he didn't smile back. But he held her gaze soberly and reached up to touch the back of one her hands with warm fingers.
 
"We'll get him, I swear to you. This is where it ends."
 
oOo
 
It had been a week since Sango and Miroku had died. Kagome hadn't stopped crying until they'd returned to Kaede's village with Miroku's body. Sango's body...there was no body; nothing survived the pit of fire that she had dove into. Kagome wondered if the demon slayer had caught Kohaku before the flames engulfed them. She wondered if they'd had a chance to say goodbye before they died. Even more, she wondered how her friend had managed to convince Kirara to make that heroic and suicidal leap.
 
She guessed that their bond was so strong that the fire-cat would have done anything for Sango; even die herself if it meant a chance of saving the boy they both loved so much.
 
She'd cried all the way back to the village, but she found herself unable to do so when they laid Miroku's remains to rest. He'd opened the wind tunnel for one last time; Kagome supposed that he'd expected to be sucked inside his own cursed void. Like his father, he said. It was only fitting. She had to wonder what he'd say about the manner of his death and decided that he'd be pleased that his life hadn't ended by Naraku's curse. Instead he'd died as he tried to suck molten lava into his palm to save Sango and Kohaku from their fiery death.
 
And the wind tunnel had closed. Kagome didn't know if it was Naraku's doing or just that the void itself had issues with absorbing so much heat and molten rock. In either case, Miroku had died almost instantly, never knowing that he'd failed to save Sango and probably never knowing that he paid for his attempt with his life.
 
The ground had shook and Kagome screamed when she saw the young monk thrown into the sky. When they'd found his corpse hours later, Kagome had shuddered and buried her face in Inuyasha's chest, shaking so hard she thought her teeth might rattle loose. Miroku's arm and side were charred into a grisly mass of blackened flesh but his face remained untouched in death. And strangely enough, he was smiling, as if he knew that Sango was waiting for him somewhere and they would not be parted for long.
 
He'd not regret a single moment of how he'd lived and he'd not regret trying to save Sango and Kohaku. Thinking of that kept her from sobbing hysterically, or it might have been simple exhaustion. She was too tired to grieve more than she already had, her eyes were red and puffy, but they remained dry.
 
Inuyasha didn't comment on that fact, like he didn't comment on a lot of things. Kagome decided it was his way of dealing with their deaths and decided to let him be. To be honest, she was a little too traumatized herself to offer comfort for anyone else. She knew he was going after Naraku again, she knew that he wouldn't rest, would barely eat or sleep now, until the abomination had been destroyed.
 
She'd seen the look in his eyes. It scared the hell out of her.
 
She caught herself thinking of going home. It wouldn't be fair to Shippou, or at least that's what she told herself. She just wanted to get away, escape from the heartrending, soul numbing grief that filled all her waking hours. Kagome knew she looked like hell; she'd barely brushed her hair or taken care of herself since it had happened.
 
Her mother would notice her condition and question her about it. More and more of the last year, returning home in some stage of weariness or defeat, her mother had watched her closely, concern lighting in her eyes.
 
"I'm worried about you, Kagome."
 
I know, Mama. You should be. "Oh, there's nothing wrong with me that a little more sleep won't cure."
 
"Kagome, tell me what's been happening. You're so pale, so thin. And you hardly ever smile."
 
There's nothing to smile about, Mama. There's too much death on the other side of the well. "I'm fine, I just need to a catch up on my sleep."
 
Tonight was the night of the new moon. She wondered if Inuyasha would find it any easier to grieve if he was in his human form. She knew he wouldn't sleep, did he ever anymore? Silently, not wanting to awake Kaede and Shippou, she slipped out of her bedroll and went outside.
 
The hard packed earth of the village felt cool under her feet and looking up, Kagome could count a thousand stars. The sky was so clear it looked like glass, endless and vast, unconcerned with the lives and deaths of those mortals beneath it. She wondered if at night Inuyasha counted the stars, named them. Kagome had never asked him what he thought of on those long wakeful nights or if he found solace in the solitude of darkness.
 
"Inuyasha," she called softly from the edge of the forest.
 
"I'm here," he answered, slipping from the branch of a tree. Idly, she wondered if he always made sure to get into the tree before sunset on his moonless nights, it being so much easier to climb when he had claws.
 
"Why don't you come stay at Kaede's with me?" she asked, hating the idea of leaving him out here all alone.
 
"I'm not comfortable inside, not when I'm like this. I just want to be alone."
 
Alone, that was just like him. "You can't keep punishing yourself, Inuyasha. There was nothing you could have done."
 
"I know. There was nothing I could have done. Nothing." His voice was flat, cheerless. Kagome studied his shadowy outline, wishing she could see his face. Dark hair trailed like night over his shoulders, his face a pale blur against the darkness. She heard the guilt and self-loathing in his voice and sighed.
 
"It wasn't your fault."
 
"So you keep telling me. Or are you just telling it to yourself?"
 
She wanted to scream at him but she really didn't have the energy. Slowly, she went to him, her hand reaching up to touch his face. He flinched away, not wanting her to reach him but her fingers brushed his cheek anyway. And came back wet.
 
"You're crying," she said, dumbstruck. Inuyasha didn't show emotions like grief.
 
"I ain't crying. Get that stupid idea out of your head, Kagome. I don't cry."
 
Tears were welling in her eyes again, she'd thought that she'd exhausted her supply, but it seemed that her heart could still wrench painfully even inside the numbness of her despair. Her shoulders started to shake convulsively and she buried her face in her hands. He might be able to deny himself the release of emotion, but she was just human and couldn't fight it any longer.
 
His hands touched her shoulders awkwardly. "Don't," he said, his voice broken and pained. "Don't cry anymore, Kagome. I...I can't stand it when you cry."
 
She pushed forward when he said that, her hands reaching out for his chest in the darkness. She couldn't see him well enough to do more than guess at the location of his mouth, but she made a dive for it anyway. Her teeth clashed against his, scraping painfully. It wasn't much of a kiss, but Inuyasha stood quite still as her hands moved up to the sides of his face so she could guide the next.
 
This time it worked out better, her lips found his, soft and moist. And he responded, hesitant and unsure, like he didn't know how to react, but was afraid to push her away.
 
Kagome pressed her body into his and slipped her tongue between his lips, trying to part his clenched jaws. She wasn't experienced at this and let her own instincts guide her when she caressed the sides of his face in a silent plea for acceptance.
 
Obediently, he let his jaw relax and didn't protest as she kissed him. She explored his taste, running the tip of her tongue over his teeth and wondering what it felt like for him when his fangs retracted on his human nights. Now he wasn't a half demon, he was just a vulnerable young man that she passionately wanted to kiss and comfort.
 
His hands slowly drifted to her waist, resting lightly on the swell of her hips and his fingers curled into the small of her back. Against her belly, she knew that he was having a physical reaction to her kiss and her heart leaped up inside her chest at the thought.
 
She sank to her knees, her hands fisted in his sleeves so that he'd have no choice but to follow her. It made sense; they could comfort each other in a different way. She knew he needed her, needed her to validate something that he doubted, needed her to be the piece to complete his puzzle. Kagome wanted that, had for some time, but always held back, unsure and afraid of rejection.
 
She told herself that he needed to come to her in his own way, in his own time. Nothing could force a stubborn hanyou, beating him over the head with a stick wouldn't make him able to admit that he wanted her, needed her the same way she needed him.
 
It seemed like he'd forgotten how to resist and Kagome was delighted. Laying flat on her back with him on top of her and hands going places she only dreamed, Inuyasha continued to kiss her, both of them getting better at it with practice. His mouth was hungry with exploration now, it seemed like he wanted to map the inside of her mouth with his tongue. She opened herself wide to him, exploring him in turn and making soft mewling sounds from the back of her throat.
 
Daring now, bold as brass, she let her hands wander where they wanted, finding places that she'd always brushed against and never gone further even though her fingertips burned with curiosity. She wanted him to know that it was all right, she was still here, would always be and wiggled herself just enough to get her hand under his body and reach for the stiffness that ground against her thigh.
 
His reaction was unpredicted. Instead of responding to her overtures, her invitation, he gasped against her lips and pulled away like her soft human fingers had burned him right through the red fire rat fur. She sat up, staring at him, or at least staring at the dark, clenched form beside her.
 
"Inuyasha," she asked, her voice trembling. "W...what did I..."
 
"Don't touch me like that," he said, his voice sounding congested and bitter. "You shouldn't touch me like that, it's not right. I'm...I'm sorry, I lost control of myself. I didn't mean to go that far. I'm sorry."
 
Her breath came out in a soft exhale that was almost a whimper. "I wanted you to," she said, reached out and finding his knee. Her fingers kneaded the hard muscle of his thigh and she pulled herself up so that she could sit closely beside him. "Inuyasha, I love you. I want you to know that, I've loved you forever it seems. Please, let me be there for you, I want this."
 
"I don't deserve your love," he said, his voice sounding distant now, like he'd already run a million miles away from her. She wanted to scream at him, she wanted to throttle him for being so stubborn and stupid and wonderful all at the same time. And she wanted to kick him for saying stupid things like that. As usual, she put her own frustration on hold and reached out to try to understand him.
 
"Why don't you deserve it? Don't you think that I'm capable of deciding who I love, who I want to be with? It's always been you."
 
He sat there so long and so quietly that she nearly gave up hope that he'd answer her. "I failed them. I should have saved Sango and Miroku; I should have been stronger, faster. I failed them and I'll probably fail you too. You should go home, find someone who's more like you to be with. "
 
She pulled her knees up and locked her arms around them, thinking hard before she answered. "Now you're just being ridiculous. You didn't fail them, you did all you could, and you nearly killed yourself too. Inuyasha, you can't blame yourself for everything."
He stirred, she heard him move restless against the grass. "I was too slow," he breathed. "I was too busy worrying about getting at Naraku, I should have seen that he'd use Kohaku to buy himself time to escape. If I'd been a little faster, a little stronger, maybe I would have stopped him. A full demon would have been able to stop him."
 
"Inuyasha..."
 
"No!" he burst out. "Don't you fucking get it? Even Tessaiga doesn't make up for the fact that I'm not a real youkai. If I didn't have that sword I'd be just a pathetic hanyou trying to fight against that monster. The only reason I'm not dead is because that blade was made from my father's fang and he was a real demon, a true youkai like I will never be. I might as well have left it in his grave."
 
"You can't mean that," she cried, grabbing his hands. "You've done amazing things, you've always done everything you could. Don't say things like that when you know, deep in your heart, you know they aren't true!"
 
"Save it," he muttered. "You can't possibly understand."
 
He was right about that, Kagome thought. She couldn't understand how it felt for him to always walk outside, never part of one or the other. Not human, not demon, not anything. It was unfair and wrong and massively untrue, but Kagome knew her words weren't going to reach him. He'd blame himself now because others had always blamed him and that was how it was. Carefully, she pulled herself closer, ignoring his little murmur of protest when she settled in his lap.
 
"I don't need to understand," she whispered, her arms tight around his chest. "Just let me be there for you."
 
She heard him sigh into her hair as his arms locked around hers in a grip so tight it almost hurt.
 
"I will hold you to that promise."
 
oOo
 
Catching scent of Naraku, nothing would have stopped him. Kagome hung on for dearest life, letting the silky white hair whip across her face hard enough to leave welts on her cheeks. Her knees clenched on either side of his hips so hard that the muscles of her thighs ached from it. They'd been pursuing Naraku for so long that it seemed timeless; it seemed like a story that would never end. She guessed that she really didn't believe it would ever end, somehow her and Inuyasha would stay like this forever, always running, never stopping.
 
She didn't know when she'd lost the ability to fear for herself. She was only scared for Inuyasha. Strong as he was, he was not immortal and he could be hurt. Kagome should know, she'd wrapped enough of those wounds. She told herself she was doing this because Naraku was something that had to be stopped, she couldn't let the jewel that she herself had shattered become a force for his malice. It was time to put an end to it.
 
Kagome told herself that her reasons were noble; her ability to see the shards and her spiritual power of purification meant something. They meant that she could take back what was broken, gain peace for those lives that had been destroyed. She did it for Kohaku, she did it for Sango, she did it for Miroku, but she was lying to herself. She only fought for Inuyasha, the way he only fought for her. Together at least, they made a completion of their own tiny jewel. Purity. Youkai. Everything that stood between.
 
She'd left Shippou back in the village, ignoring the kitsune's protests that he too wanted revenge for their slain friends. That he could fight, that he could protect her. “No, not this time,” she said to him with a smile. “This time I'm going to know you're safe with Kaede and when I come back, I'd better hear that you behaved yourself.”
 
Shippou would have followed her anyway; she knew that not even Kaede would be able to keep the active young fox from trying to go after them. It made her palms sweat when she saw the stubborn set of his jaw and the glitter of defiance in his green eyes. She couldn't lose Shippou as well, but she didn't know how to make him understand.
 
"I'm coming with you!" the fox shouted.
 
"No, you ain't," Inuyasha snapped. Kagome sighed and got ready to say the word. Inuyasha's bullying of Shippou got on her nerves, even if the kitsune did deserve it most of the time. They squabbled like two little kids fighting for her attention and she was about to intervene when Inuyasha did something unexpected.
 
He dropped to his knees, still towering over little Shippou but the significance of him getting down to the fox's level wasn't lost. "Shippou," he said in a quiet, serious tone she'd rarely heard from him. "I want you to come with us."
 
Kagome blinked. “What?”
 
Shippou seemed to echo her confusion. "Huh? Why?"
 
"Because you're good in a fight," the hanyou said bluntly. "You've always been tough and you've never backed down. You don't even back down to me and I can pound the snot out of you whenever I want."
 
"I'd like to see you try it," Shippou growled, raising his tiny fists. Kagome had to hide a smile behind her hand but Inuyasha never looked more serious.
 
"Yeah, you would, but as much as I want you by my side in this fight, I can't let you do it." Inuyasha rested his elbow on his knee and looked very solemn. "Shippou, you listen to me. This is going to be bad; Naraku has all of the jewel shards. All he needs is a priestess to bind them. I only know three people that could do that."
 
Three? Kagome's brows flexed in a frown, she didn't know what kind of game Inuyasha was playing but it had certainly captured Shippou's attention. And hers, she wanted to know where he was going with this.
 
So did the fox. "You're trying to trick me," the young kitsune accused, shaking a fist at the hanyou. "You know Kagome is the only person who can..."
 
"And Kikyou," Inuyasha supplied.
 
Kagome flushed and bit down on her lips. Of course, Kikyou could do what she could do; Inuyasha probably thought that she could do it better. But even after everything they'd been through, losing the last shard to Naraku, seeing Sango and Miroku die, they hadn't seen so much as a stray soul collector. She rather thought that if Naraku had destroyed Kikyou he wouldn't have hesitated to taunt them about it. She was just...gone.
 
Somewhere out there, maybe alive, maybe just a small pile of remains in a shallow grave. They knew Kikyou had been badly hurt in a confrontation with Naraku's demons; she would have been destroyed if her soul collectors hadn't borne her away. And then...nothing. It had been weeks since even a whisper of the priestess had been heard.
 
"You said three," Kagome murmured, resting her hand on Inuyasha's shoulder.
 
Inuyasha nodded. "You and me might not survive this, Kagome. If Kikyou were still alive, she'd never submit to Naraku. No more than you would."
 
She hated it when he compared them, but she kept her mouth shut and nodded once to agree with his words. He'd probably prefer that Kikyou was the one going into this battle with him. After all, she was the jewel's true protector; she was the one who'd sacrificed herself to keep it safe.
 
All Kagome could be in that regard was second, the copy of the real priestess and a copy of her spiritual powers. The original never got scared, never allowed herself to put her feelings above her duty. Kagome knew she was weak like that, she couldn't help it. She cared too much.
 
Shippou scratched his head, thinking hard. Then his face lit up. "Kaede-sama," he said happily. "She's number three!"
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow when Inuyasha gave a sharp nod of his head. As far as she knew, Kaede didn't have her sister's power, but that didn't mean she was completely powerless. She'd never considered it before, but yes, Kaede was a priestess, one with years more real life experience than either her or Kikyou. She was the one who'd taught Kagome everything she knew about herbs and healing, setting an example for them all of what a real priestess should be.
 
Shippou's ears pricked up as Inuyasha spoke. "If worst comes to worst, both Kagome and Kikyou might die. They'd rather die than help Naraku complete the jewel. If we're killed, who will protect Kaede from him? Who will be around to keep the jewel from being made whole again? Only a strong, full demon can do that, Shippou. Say you won't let us down."
 
The tiny fox drew himself up proudly. "I won't let you down, I will protect Kaede-sama with my life. And I won't have stop Naraku from getting to her, because you're going to stop him yourself. You're both coming back."
 
Kagome still felt tears prickling in her eyes at Shippou's brave statement, at Inuyasha's sly deception in keeping the kitsune from following them, possibly to his death. She didn't think she could live with losing another friend.
 
"That was a nice thing you did," she whispered into his ear when they left.
 
"Keh. Had to do something to keep that runt from getting in my way."
 
She rested her elbows on his back as he ran. "Yes, but you didn't have to make him feel good about it. Giving him a purpose like protecting Kaede was a wonderful idea. I didn't know that you were capable of being so sneaky."
 
Inuyasha glanced back over his shoulder. He studied her face for a moment, obviously thinking hard about what he was going to say. "You'd be surprised what I'm capable of. But in this case, I didn't have to be sneaky. It's the absolute truth. If you or Kikyou won't help him, Naraku will come after Kaede as a last resort. I mean to make sure that he doesn't get what he wants."
 
 
Present Day
 
 
"What are you doing here?" Kagome shouted, fury rising in her tone. She shoved Scott's hands away from her viciously, blind anger filling her body. She'd been terrified a minute ago, scared of what might have happened if that well hadn't been exactly the way she'd left it so many years before. It was part relief of that fact that made her shout at him now, part that and an overwhelming anger that he'd followed her all the way to Japan.
 
"I didn't mean to sneak up on you," he protested, backing away from her. "I...I just wanted to talk to you, Kagome. You wouldn't return my calls, what was I supposed to do?"
 
"You were supposed to leave me alone," she snarled, almost feral in her anger. "Don't you get it? We aren't married anymore!"
 
Scott's shoulders sagged and he stuffed his hands in the pockets of his jacket. She'd bought him that jacket last year for his birthday. It was expensive, the leather was soft and buttery, and the dark brown suede of the collar almost perfectly matched his hair.
 
Actually, she'd paid for the jacket, but she hadn't picked it out. Grace had done the shopping and also made her excuses when she'd stood up her husband for his birthday dinner, giving the excuse that she was called into a last minute consultation with a very important client. It hadn't been a lie, Grace never lied if she could help it, but what Kagome and that client were doing couldn't exactly have been called a consultation.
 
She hadn't even remembered it was Scott's birthday until the last minute and called her secretary to give the excuses to her husband instead of doing it herself, considering that she was propped up on her desk with another man's face between her thighs at the time.
 
Now that memory made her want to shudder and she convulsively gripped her upper arms as she hugged herself. She'd started divorce proceedings the very next day, appalled at herself and what her marriage had become. Scott deserved better, she never should have married him, wouldn't have in the first place only...he'd asked her with something sweet and innocent in his eyes and Kagome badly wanted to be part of something good again.
 
"You shouldn't have come here," she said, and instantly loathed herself for the harshness of her tone. He brought out the worst in her and it wasn't even his fault. Scott just stood there, looking at her with those deep blue eyes that had once reminded her of a cursed monk.
 
Now they only served to remind her of everything he wasn't, never could be. He was the kind of handsome that turned heads, tall with dark hair falling boyishly into his eyes, a muscular, athletic build and a perfect white smile. Trophy husband? Kagome shook her head and tried to deny it.
 
She honestly didn't hate Scott; she hated the way she acted when she was with him. She hated that he made her shrill and cruel with his stupid bumbling love of her and his forgiveness for things that no self-respecting man should ever forgive.
 
Scott looked at his feet, his shoulders still hunched like he was protecting something fragile in his chest. "I was sorry to hear about your grandfather."
 
Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. "How did you know about jii-chan?"
 
"I checked your credit card statements online," he said softly. "You never change your passwords. Once I figured out you'd bought a ticket to Japan, I called your service and pretended to be an old friend who wanted to know where to send a memorial, when they gave me the shrine's address here in Tokyo it wasn't hard to figure out."
 
She felt her back stiffening in anger. "As soon as I get back to Hawaii, I'm putting through that restraining order," she told him in a voice as harsh and venomous as she could manage. "There are laws against stalking your ex-wife like this."
 
"I just wanted to be there for you," Scott protested. His hand reached out and caressed her arm. "Please, Kagome," he said, his voice growing rough and intense, like it did when she knew he wanted her. "Let's go inside and talk about this. We don't need to be married; you can still see whomever you want. I just want to be part of your life, whatever you'll give me."
 
Kagome felt herself relenting, this what how it always went for them. She'd rip him apart like a viper and he'd crawl back, begging her for more until she felt so guilty that she gave in. The only time she let him have sex with her was when she felt particularly horrible about what she'd done. He loved her and she was a vicious bitch who treated him like garbage. Then she'd castigate herself for being such a monster and apologize for her cruelty by letting him touch her and pleasure her the way he wanted.
 
It was a sick and disturbing relationship, it was unhealthy as all hell. She didn't know what she'd done or how she'd turned a sweet natured guy into someone that craved her abuse as much as he craved her affection.
 
"No, Scott," she said, pushing him away. He'd moved a little closer and started to kiss her neck and the skin that was exposed when she let her bathrobe hang open. His palm was against her breast now, caressing her through the delicate silk nightgown. She didn't respond, she felt like ice was between her legs and her heart had frozen over in despair.
 
Everything wrong about what she'd done to her life was symbolized in her marriage to Scott, everything she'd never wanted to be. She wanted to be happy again, she wanted to feel the way she'd felt when she was fifteen. And Scott wouldn't give her what she needed, just like all her other illicit lovers hadn't been the answer either.
 
His mouth burned against her throat and she shoved him hard. "I said no, goddamnit! What's wrong with you, don't you get it? It's over. I'm doing this for your sake as well as mine. Find another woman, make her happy, and let her make you happy. Just...leave me alone, all right? That's what I really need from you right now. Just leave me alone."
 
She wished she could see his face; all she could see was shadows of darkness where she knew his eyes and mouth were. "Are you sure that's what you really want?" he asked and his voice had changed, become quiet and flat. She'd never heard him use that tone before.
 
"I'm sure," Kagome said, her voice echoing with the quiet strength that had made it possible for her to survive.
 
Scott didn't answer her and Kagome felt a chill go up her back. Was he finally going to show some kind of will? Was he going to scream at her or attack her, maybe even strike her? She steeled herself for a blow that would come out of the darkness, her fist clenching the dying flashlight. She deserved to be hit, had deserved it for some time now. That was fine, she could handle it. And she could give back what she took, at least until he came to his senses and realized what he was doing.
 
He didn't strike her and she waited. "Scott?" she said at last. "You need to leave, I won't call the police this time but it has to end, Scott. For both of us, this has to end."
 
"I agree." She'd never heard him sound so resolved, so firm. It confused her and she wondered again why he'd never shown that side of himself. Slapping the flashlight again, she shone it into his face. His face was utterly blank, expressionless, and his eyes were hidden dark pools. Something about it made the hair stand up on the back of her neck.
 
"Scott," she whispered.
 
He shifted and something hard pressed into her stomach and Kagome dropped her flashlight. Where did he get the gun, her mind asked frantically. He couldn't have brought it with him on the plane. He didn't speak more than a few words of Japanese and the likelihood of a foreigner being able to obtain a gun in Tokyo in such a short time was next to nothing if not impossible.
 
He must have planned it, she realized. Realized with a chill that Scott had no intention of letting their divorce be amicable.
 
"I didn't want to do this, Kagome," he said, his voice turning soft and gentle again. "I just can't stand not being with you. You understand, right?"
 
She shook her head, her hair whipping around her. "No, I don't understand. You're crazy, you came here to kill me or you wouldn't have that gun."
 
She felt him smile, felt it without touching him. "Did you ever love me?" he wanted to know, sounding wistful.
 
"Of course," she lied. "I loved you very much. I still love you, Scott. We can work this out, you're right, I need you to be..."
 
"Shhh," he whispered, his hand reaching out to touch her face. She tried not to flinch. "You don't have to lie. I know you didn't love me. Not like...not like you loved him. The one who hurt you first."
 
She was shaking; she was going to be sick she was so scared. "I don't know what you're talking about."
 
One breath, two breaths. She took a step back. She had to get the barrel of the gun out of her belly, she had to get away from him now. "You don't have to do this, Scott."
 
She heard him gasp, heard the rustle of the jacket she'd given him when he raised his arm and knew he was aiming for her head. Kagome cried out and turned away as he fired. She felt the bullet rip into her skin, a blossom of pain, a stab of guilt. Her legs crashed into the side of the well and she toppled over, too terrorized to even scream.
 
Kagome thought that it was appropriate that she die at the bottom of this well. It was the place her life ended, it was the place her life began. In the back of her mind, Kagome had always thought of it as a womb, letting her be born again and again, reality changing and breaking and turning every time she took that leap.
 
She knew she could die. She knew she could be reborn. She was really kind of tired of it all.