InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Promises To Keep - Chapter 2 ❯ Promises To Keep - Chapter 2 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Promises To Keep - Chapter 2
Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any part of InuYasha. I just like to play with the characters. I should further say that I originally wrote this as a gift!fic for doggieearlover and it is meant to be a continuation of her story, obviously called “Promises To Keep.” She has been kind enough to give me permission to publish it here. I would heartily recommend that you read her story first…and any of her other stories, too!
 
 
Kagome looked around the small clearing that lay before Goshinboku, formally acknowledging her friends on behalf of both herself and her newly-intended. InuYasha was off to the side of the clearing, doing something he didn't normally do: thinking. And it was painfully obvious to the young miko that the effort was giving her hanyou a headache.
 
It hadn't helped that Kaede had insisted on the priestess garb Kagome was wearing. Laughing and carrying on as they had since Naraku's defeat just wouldn't do, according to the old miko. Ceremony would keep everyone focused on the seriousness of the task at hand. And so Kagome had found herself dressed as a miko for the occasion.
 
She remembered the first time she had been dressed this way…how Kaede had lent her the miko outfit of her dead sister to wear while her own clothes dried…and how she had been shocked when InuYasha had demanded she take the clothes off! Although she hadn't yet thought of InuYasha as anything more than someone she'd rather have as a friend than an enemy, once she got over her initial shock, it had been her first clue that the hanyou had not really gotten over Kikyou…despite his protestations that he didn't care what had happened to her, and even that he was glad she was dead.
 
And Kikyou had been human, and a miko…and InuYasha had loved her.
 
When InuYasha saw Kagome in her miko outfit, she had seen the look in the hanyou's eyes and had rushed to apologize…but InuYasha had stopped her from babbling and had asked her a simple question: if her mother had remarried, would her mother have forgotten her father? Kagome had gotten the point. And when she asked if InuYasha wanted her to take the outfit off right away, it had helped when he whispered in her ear that he'd want her to take everything off later.
 
She giggled at the thought, earning her a stern look from the elder miko.
 
All the Inutachi were present…Sango, Miroku, Shippou and Kirara. Kouga and Ayame had come for the wishing on the Shikon no Tama. And even the normally aloof Sesshomaru was in attendance. Doubtless, the Great Lord of the Western Lands was curious what his “worthless” brother would come up with, although these days the term, “worthless,” was used as a sort of running joke between the two brothers. Kagome figured it might take thm another century or two to really warm up to each other…if they didn't slip into old habits and kill each other at some point along the way. She wished she could be there to see the two brothers finally getting along…but sighed as she realized she'd probably be dust by then. She glanced over to where Rin sat on Ah-Un. Jaken stood beside the two-headed dragon, holding his two-headed staff. The imp did his best to maintain his disapproving expression, but it was clear to Kagome that the retainer had grown genuinely fond of the girl and had even softened (a little) towards other humans.
 
Kaede, as the eldest priestess present, presided over the ceremony. Secretly, the elder miko wasn't sure if she agreed with Kagome's decision to allow InuYasha to make the wish on the jewel. The hanyou could be rash, and it wouldn't do to have him muck things up simply because he wanted to get the whole thing over.
 
Kagome observed the old miko's dour expression as Kaede watched InuYasha. The young miko well understood the her concern. Kagome, too, knew InuYasha was nothing if not impulsive. Nor could he be counted on for subtlety. Yet Kagome had faith that InuYasha would say the right thing.
 
She thought back to the trip home to tell her family of their plans.
 
 
************ Flashback ************
 
 
“You're sure?”
 
“Yes, Mama,” said Kagome as she and InuYasha sat, hand in hand.
 
“Keh! Of course we're sure.”
 
Kagome spun around to InuYasha and tears of pride came to her eyes. “Yes, mama, we really are sure.” She continued looking into the hanyou's eyes with undisguised emotion. She really hadn't expected him to say anything, but what he had said was perfect.
 
“I can see you two are determined,” said Mama Higurashi as she broke into a smile. “Well, it's about time.”
 
“Mama?” Despite her mother's words, Kagome's gaze remained fixed on InuYasha…so much so that the poor hanyou was beginning to turn a bright shade of red.
 
“Have you thought about baby names?”
 
Kagome's attention snapped to her mother. “Mama!” She looked back to InuYasha, but the hanyou seemed lost in reverie, a stupid grin on his face.
 
 
************ End Flashback ************
 
 
“Huh?” Kagome looked down when she heard the second thump.
 
Jaken looked up at her, scowling, while holding forth his staff. “M'lord asks when the ceremony will begin.”
 
For a brief moment, Kagome considered purifying the toad-like creature, but decided against it. She supposed the Great Lord of the Western Lands would take umbrage at her turning his obsequious servant into a pile of ash on the forest floor. Rin would probably miss him, too. The young miko put it down as one of those things you thought about doing, but never did. “I'm sure InuYasha will be ready soon.”
 
“Feh!” InuYasha stepped up beside Kagome and looked down at his brother's servant. “You can tell that arrogant asshole that I'm ready now.”
 
“You are?” blurted Kagome.
 
InuYasha waited until the little toad had turned and left to deliver his message and then whispered into Kagome's ear, “Actually, I haven't a clue what to wish for.”
 
Kagome swore she could feel her eyes crossing. “But you just told your brother's servant that you are ready…and we both know how patient Sesshomaru is.”
 
There came the loud sound of a slap from across the clearing. Both miko and hanyou, as well as everyone else, looked over to where the monk was sprawled on the ground, another red handprint on his face.
 
InuYasha grinned. “Oi! Miroku! You can stop molesting Sango now. She's already pregnant!”
 
Everyone looked first at InuYasha, and then at Sango and Miroku.
 
The monk called out groggily, “And how do you know that, InuYasha?”
 
The hanyou tapped his nose. “Youkai senses.”
 
This resulted in several things. First Sango, who moments before had decked Miroku, was now all over him, covering the bewildered monk with kisses. Second, Jaken was (to no avail) trying to keep Rin from watching the “disgusting humans.” Third, Kaede was trying to get everyone's attention back to the matter at hand. And fourth, Sesshoumaru was staring at his brother while laying his own finger along his nose…as if to say, “you could smell that?”
 
Taking it all in, Kagome, arms akimbo, glared at InuYasha and asked, “Is Sango really pregnant?”
 
The hanyou shrugged. “Hell if I know…probably, the way they've been going at it…but even if she ain't, it got everyone off our backs.”
 
“You know, I haven't sat you in a long time.”
 
By this time, Kaede was finally succeeding in restoring a semblance of order. “Would ye all be quiet and remember our purpose in being here?” She paused till everyone became semi-serious again, although the occasional snigger from Miroku, followed by the thud of Sango's elbow and the explosion of the monk's breath, didn't help matters. “InuYasha has decided on his wish and now it is time to purify the sacred jewel.” The old miko turned to the hanyou and declared (with trepidation) that he should “make the wish.”
 
“Ka-Kagome?”
 
“I have faith in you, InuYasha.” In truth, Kagome did have faith in InuYasha. She had perfect faith that he meant well. She was just a little worried that his wish might not be worded quite the right way. And as she looked at the love of her life, she worried about the stress they had all put on him.
 
“Awww, Kagome! I just want you to always be fucking happy with me!”
 
For the briefest instant, everyone stared incredulously at the hanyou.
 
There was a pulse from the jewel.
 
And it was no more.
 
 
************************
 
 
Kagome paused as she put away some of her kimonos. It was true that she had servants to take care of these mundane chores, but she still liked to do some things for herself. Besides, some of the kimonos had scenes woven into them that reminded her of some of her adventures with InuYasha. Of course the servants thought all the scenes were fanciful, but she knew better.
 
The years had been cruel, and kind. It had been difficult to lose their good friends, Sango and Miroku, but they still kept close to their descendants, with whom the truth behind the story of the hanyou and the miko was a family secret. And she and InuYasha had their own children, grandchildren and great…
 
Sometimes she forgot how many “greats” there were, but there were a lot. It turned out that her miko side and his youkai side tended to cancel each other out, so most of their children were “normal” humans, but you never knew. Genetics and spiritual powers had a strange way of combining, sometimes.
 
She finished putting away her kimonos and stepped outside to look over the bay. There. If she remembered her history right, there was where the American, Commodore Matthew Perry, would sail up to present Japan with letters from President Fillmore asking for friendly relations between the two nations. The Treaty of Kana…Kanagawa, she thought, would be signed the following year.
 
Soon she would have to concern herself with how she and InuYasha would remain safe throughout the coming wars. She sighed. World War One wouldn't be that hard, but World War Two might be difficult. Yeah, moving away from Japan might make sense, but she didn't really want to spend time in an American internment camp. “Maybe Canada,” she thought. Getting Sesshoumaru to leave Japan would be difficult. Maybe she could just warn him to avoid Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
 
While she mulled all this over, she felt arms encircle her and a kiss on the back of her neck.
 
“Surprise.”
 
“I knew you were there.”
 
“Keh. How?”
 
She turned in his arms, and tapped her nose. “Miko senses.”
 
“Feh!”
 
She began covering his neck with kisses. “Just as I can sense what you want to do now.”
 
The hanyou sniffed. “And I, you.”
 
Kagome play-smacked him and smiled. “Is it that obvious?”
 
 
************************
 
 
Hours later, Kagome stretched languorously over her mate. “That…was wonderful.”
 
“You never tire of it?”
 
“Nope.” She giggled. “Hey, you made the wish.”
 
“Yeah, that you'd always be...”
 
Kagome put her finger over her mate's lips. “You don't have to say it,” she giggled. After a pause, she continued. “You know, InuYasha. I've been thinking. It's only about a hundred and fifty years till we're back to my time again.
 
“Uh-huh?” The hanyou had started nuzzling her neck again.
 
“Mama's really going to be surprised.”
 
“Keh. I suppose she will be. We've already made her a great-great-great-great…”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
“OWW!” The hanyou rubbed his arm where his mate had shocked him.
 
“Just remember, I've still got my miko powers.”
 
“Yeah, yeah.” InuYasha reached for Kagome as if he was going to tickle her and then stopped, looking pensive. “Know what I just thought of?”
 
“What?”
 
“I mean, considering you still look the same and all…”
 
“Yes?”
 
“When we get back to your time again, do you think you'll have to go to high school?”
 
 
*********finis*********