InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Protective love ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rin-chan sat on a flat part of the big rock she had chosen as a good waiting place. The sun was setting - the sun had emerged from behind the black clouds when the Shikon Jewel was purified. Rin was hungry and tired and sad, and she longed to see her Sesshoumaru-sama. More than anything she wanted to go to him, but she could not leave auntie Kagome. Rin sniffled and crawled once more over to Kagomes cold body. She would never ever wake up, Rin knew that, but she wanted to stay just in case. Perhaps auntie Kagomes soul was still here somewhere, those things was so hard to know. But if so, Rin wouldn't leave her. She embraced Kagome in a vain efford to make her warm at least.
 
“I'm here, auntie Kagome. Rin will not leave you. Rin will ask Sesshoumaru-sama to heal you when he comes. Sesshoumaru-sama can do anything. He will come soon, and Rin won't leave you.”
 
The group found them in this position when they reached the rock several hours later. Inuyasha screamed “Kagome!” and Jaken screamed “Rin!”, but it was Sesshoumaru who reached the girls first. With emotionless face he kneeled by Rins side and tapped her back. Rin woke up, turned and with a scream of joy she leapt into Sesshoumarus lap and hugged him. No one dared to move as Sesshoumaru slowly folded his right arm in a careful embrace and closed his eyes, holding Rin to his chest. Then he opened his eyes again and rose with Rin in the safe cradle of his arm. Miroku, Sango, Shippou and Kirara quickly leaped forward to Kagome.
 
“Kagome, Kagome!”
 
“Are you alive? Kagome!”
 
But there was no breath, no heartbeat. No Kagome. Rin-chan turned to Sesshoumaru, tears in her eyes.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, can you bring her life back? Auntie Kagome protected Rin, Rin wasn't harmed at all. And Rin stayed with auntie Kagome all the time. So please, Sesshoumaru-sama?”
 
Sesshoumaru had felt his usual calm return as soon as Rin had embraced him and was now as distant and cool as ever. He knew very well it was too late; the creatures of the underworld had long gone taken what was left of Kagomes soul. And yet he put Rin down and drew Tenseiga. Miroku and the others backed away at his actions. Sesshoumaru held his sword above Kagomes body. There were no creatures of the underworld there, but he saw a strange pink light surrounding Kagomes body. Sesshoumaru looked closer. What was this?
 
Sesshoumaru sheated Tenseiga.
 
“This Sesshoumaru cannot revive someone who hasn't died.”
 
That remark gained him everyones attention. Kaede came stumbling on eager feet, a hope in her only eye. Inuyasha however remained where he was. Where he stood, he couldn't see Kagomes features clear. As long as he stood there, that body could belong to someone else. That was all he knew and all he allowed himself to think about.
 
“Is Kagome alive?”
 
Kaedes voice was filled with emotions. Sesshoumaru closed his eyes in concentration.
 
“The miko is clustered within herself. She needs to be waken, but this Sesshoumaru is not the one to do it.”
 
With that, he turned around and began to walk away.
 
“Jaken! Rin! With me.”
 
“Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama!”
 
The odd trio left the rock without any farewells. Rin was still concerned, but her Sesshoumaru-sama had left good instructions and she was sure everything would be alright.
 
Kaede and Miroku let their senses touch mind with Kagome. As if hit by lightning, they raised their heads.
 
“It's true.”
 
“Kagome is still in there.”
 
This made Shippou and Sango to burst into tears of joy, but Kaede got clumsily on her feet and walked over to Inuyasha. This was not an easy matter.
 
“Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyashas ears went flat at Kaedes voice. He knew what she was going to say and he did not want to hear it. He did not want to hear that another loved one was dead. He did not want to see her body.
 
“Inuyasha, listen. Kagome is alive.”
 
This pierced Inuyashas heart, filling it with a mindless hope despite grieve. He snapped his head up.
 
“Alive?”
 
“Yes. But she is sealed within herself. Somehow, Kagome had the strength to protect her soul for being used by the Shikon Jewel. She's still there, inside her body.”
 
“Then wake her!”
 
Inuyasha looked over at the sight where his friends were, wondering why they didn't wake Kagome up if that was all that was needed. Kaede gathered her courage.
 
“We cannot do that, Inuyasha. Only you can wake her up. And I am not eniterly sure even you can.”
 
“Whaddya mean? How shall I wake her up?”
“First you must understand the depths of Kagomes love. It was used to complete the task, and yet it's all still there. Her love even protected her soul from leaving her dead body.”
 
Kaede sighed and faced the ground.
 
“It's the love she feels for you, Inuyasha. It won't let her go, because she so desperately wants to be with you.”
 
Inuyashas heart raced in his chest. Kagome loved him? But she had never said that! She had never told him, although he sometimes had seen signs that indicated it could be so. But how to be sure if she never told him? Memories emerged from Inuyashas mind as if to defy him.
 
// Kikyo and I share one feeling. The desire to see Inuyasha again. //
// You know, I like you the way you are. As a hanyou. //
(( Of cause I cried for you. I thought you were going to die! //
// Souta! It will be ok, Inuyasha is here now! //
// Inuyasha. //
// Inuyasha. //
// Inuyasha! //
 
From the puddle of memories rose the time Kagome had kissed him to stop him from transforming. When she had been standing in acid to keep him focused and pure. All the times she had brought ramen for him - and the times she had been cooking her own food, with lesser success. When she had been letting him sleep in her bed, staying on the floor herself. All the times she had held her tear back when he ran off to Kikyo, trying to be understanding about it. Big things, small things, all now seen in the right light tokens of her love. Inuyasha realised Kaede could be right. He had only not been aware of it. His voice was hoarse when he spoke.
 
“How do I wake her up?”
 
“You must meet her love with one equal in strength and pureness.”
 
Inuyasha winced and stared at Kaede, who shook her shoulders and left him to go to the others.
 
“That's why I'm unsure you'll be able to do it”, she murmured. “Your heart has been filled with two mixed loves for too long now.”