InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Psyche ❯ IV. If a well should come between us. ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Psyche

Author: Sutoresu

Summary: Alternate Universe // When the beauty of the young maiden, Kagome, becomes greater than that of the fabled Kikyo, the spirit sends a half-demon to exterminate her. But, what happens when her pure beauty is strong enough to warm the hanyou?

Disclaimer: I own neither the characters of Inuyasha, nor the Roman myth of Psyche & Cupid. If you can see the parallels between the two stories, I applaud you. If not, please enjoy my interpretations presented here within as cheap entertainment.

. IV. If a well should come between us

.

It had been such a strange dream.  Some dog-demon type creature had stood on her windowsill before plummeting to the ground.  In her daze, she had even thought that she had seen an imprint of his body on the ground below where he had landed.  But of course it was only a dream; though, as strange as it was, it had seemed so real to her.

Despite the heaviness of the previous day’s revelation, Kagome allowed herself a small smile.  A demon trying to enter her room only to be defeated by a window?  Not even in her grandfather’s stories.

She shook off the last vestiges of her slumber before rolling over and reaching for her robe.  Curiously, the garment was not folded on her dresser where she had left it after her nightly bath  – it was crumpled and tossed at the foot of her bed.  She gave the robe a quick appraising look before shrugging it onto her shoulders.  What did it matter really if her robe had been mislaid?  She would be lucky if she was home that night to don the familiar fabric.

Kagome tied the robe’s sash before rising from her bed and walking over to the open window.  She lowered the glass pane, too distracted to notice the muddy footprints scattered on the ledge.  Once the window was closed, she crossed her arms over her chest before heading off to find her family.  “I am not going to that well,” she promised herself firmly.  “No way…” & . & . &

“I can’t believe you got me to come to this stupid well,” Kagome muttered.  Sitting beside the ancient well, her mother behind her, she blurted out her annoyance for the fourth time that afternoon.  How had her mother succeeded in dragging her out of the house again?

Mrs. Higurashi smiled at her daughter as she continued to weave a garland of flowers into Kagome’s raven hair.  “I’m sure you’ll understand when you’re older, dear.”  Her expression, bemused with a hint of maternal patience, barely changed as she continued at her task.  She was used to Kagome’s tantrums – her daughter could have put up a stronger fight that morning, and for her lack of resistance, she was grateful.  Maybe a small part of Kagome was interested to see what the day would bring?

“Yeah, if the monster doesn’t devour me first,” Kagome replied, under her breath, before reaching her hand up to the crown of her head.  Her fingers searched through the strands until they felt the silky texture of the flowers.  She grimaced.  “Tell me again, Mama, why you’re putting these ridiculous flowers into my hair?”

Her mother swatted her hand away.  Then again, maybe not, she thought with a smile.  When Kagome drew her hand back and placed it in her lap, Mrs. Higurashi explained her intent not for the first time.  “Well, the priestess felt that today would be the day that the prophecy came true.  If so, don’t you want to look nice for your prospective husband?”

“Not if he’s a monster,” Kagome muttered.  Her mother gave her hair a quick tug to indicate that she had heard her mutterings – and that she didn’t appreciate them.  Understanding the message, Kagome changed the subject.  “Speaking of the prophecy,” she began, pausing in time to catch her mother’s sigh before she reached for another flower, “I get to go home tonight if no mo— nobody shows up, right?”  It was with such understanding that Kagome had willingly left the cottage that morning.

Mrs. Higurashi nodded, choosing to ignore Kagome’s repeated references to a “monster”.  “When your grandfather and I spoke with the priestess this morning, it was agreed that should the prophecy be fulfilled, it would occur the first time you approach the well—“

“But I’ve visited this well thousands of time before,” Kagome interrupted.

Her mother sighed.  “Let me finish, dear.”

“Sorry, Mama.”

“As I was saying, Lady Kaede believes that your destiny would only follow its course once you were aware of it,” she said as she finished her weaving of Kagome’s hair.  She pulled herself to her knees and crawled around to face her daughter and admire her handiwork.  The flowers were offset by Kagome’s expression; her dainty mouth was formed in a frown.  Mrs. Higurashi sighed again.  “If it happens that the prophecy remains unfulfilled by sundown, I will return to bring you back home.”

Kagome’s head jerked up.  Her frown slid off her face and was replaced by a look of surprise.  “You’re not staying here with me?”

Her mother shook her head.  “I’m sorry, dear, but I can’t.  I promised your grandfather that I would keep watch over the cottage while he helped Lady Kaede out of the village,” she answered, awarding her daughter a comforting smile before drawing herself to her feet and brushing the grass from her knees.  Nothing in the prophecy referred to Kagome’s death so she wasn’t too worried. 

Kagome wasn’t worried either – but she was annoyed.  Not only did she have to sit by a well all day waiting for some sort of half-breed, but she had to do it alone?  A scowl crossed her delicate features but faded when her mother bent down and placed a kiss atop her head.  “I’ll see you at sundown, Kagome,” her mother said before absently patting the top of Kagome’s hair.

Kagome squirmed under her mother’s touch as an idea struck her.  If her mother left her alone at the well, she would have no idea if she, too, remained by its side.  “Yes, Mama,” she replied, already planning where she would spend the day.  Maybe she would find Hojou and apologize for her behavior from the day before.

Mrs. Higurashi began to walk away and head back to her family’s cottage but paused after only a few steps.  “Kagome, dear,” she said, turning around to face her daughter, “please make sure you stay by this well and don’t wander off.”

Kagome assumed an all too innocent expression.  She stretched her legs out from under her simple white kimono and leaned back against the ancient, wooden structure.  “Of course, Mama.”

Her mother searched her face intently for a moment.  When she saw no hint of deception hidden in Kagome’s grey eyes, she nodded and began to walk away again.  Within minutes, the trees of the forest absorbed her form and Kagome was alone.

She tucked her legs under her kimono and readjusted her position against the well, trying to get comfortable.  When a protruding piece of the well scratched her back, not deep enough to cause pain but rough enough for a trickle of crimson to stain her virginal dress, Kagome jerked away from the structure.  She blew up a stray lock of her ebony hair.  This is going to be a long day. & . & . &

For the countless time that afternoon, Inuyasha paced back and forth in the front of Lady Kikyou’s shrine.  Torn between yelling for the spirit, or tearing down the shrine dedicated to her memory, he had haunted the shrine since returning after failing in his mission the night before.

He crouched down on the ground, just outside the door, before kicking dirt on top of the cursed bow and arrow.  Stupid Kikyou, he thought spitefully, she knew that I wouldn’t be able to hurt someone with her face.  She probably just wanted to remind me what control she has over me…

Furious, Inuyasha turned his frustration towards a nearby tree.  Raising his claws up high, he struck at the offending fauna.  With a crash, the trunk splintered and the treetop fell.

He smirked as much of his anger fled with his strike.  Now if only Kikyou was standing before him, he might feel all the better.

Baka, he berated himself, readying himself for a second hit.  If he wasn’t able to shoot an arrow at a Kikyou look-alike, he sure wouldn’t be able to harm the spirit herself.

As the image of Kikyou flashed before his eyes, Inuyasha turned his head upright.  While she had wasted no time in explaining what his mission was on Earth, she had neglected to inform him how to return to the Spirit Plane.

He could, he supposed, call for Kikyou.  In the vicinity of her shrine, it was quite possible that she would appear at the sound of her name.   But his pride stood in the way; after the way she tricked him he was hesitant to call on her for help.

Or, of course, he could stay on Earth.  Though many things had changed over the course of the fifty years that he had been dead, the food was as delicious as ever.  He would enjoy himself…

Yet, after the embarrassing failure of the night before, he had struggled to his feet and raced back to the shrine.  He wasn’t sure if Kikyou would be waiting for him, having seen his inability to shoot the girl in her mirror.  He had assumed that she had seen it all; why else would he have fallen at the humiliating command?  Surely the girl with Kikyou’s face didn’t possess equal spiritual power?

But Kikyou had not been there, waiting.  Instead, he had spent the rest of that night, and the whole of the next day, waiting for her to come to him.  And, though he waited for her just outside the shrine, he refused to go inside and call for her. 

Feh, I might as well…

It was just prior to sunset when Inuyasha gave up.  He had decided to finally enter the shrine and invoke Kikyou when a distinct scent caught his attention: fear.

Inhaling deeply, Inuyasha located the source of the scent.  Curiosity got the better of the hanyou and he began to sprint towards the source – the underlying scent, just below the dominant stench of terror, tingled his senses as if he was familiar with the possessor.  But, as he had only been back on Earth for less than a day, that was highly unlikely.

He drew closer, his nose guiding his trail.  With every step, the presence of another scent invaded his senses.  It was faint, yes – almost as if someone was intentionally masking their own aura – but not hidden well enough that Inuyasha’s nose would not detect it at close range.  This scent, however, was not only familiar to him – he had never forgotten the foul smell.

His only response was to run faster. & . & . &

Lying flat on her side, next to the well, Kagome stared at the slow path of the sun.  She pressed against the ground, stretching her limbs, waiting for the sun to finally set.  She didn’t care if her pristine kimono became muddied or stained by the grass nor did she worry that her intended would be offended by her disheveled state.  It was near time for the sun to disappear for another night.  Her mother would return for her shortly.

A loud crash came from outside of the forest.  Curiosity peaked, she thought about getting up to investigate the noise, but shook her head.  She told her mother she wouldn’t leave the side of the well, after all.

Sitting up slightly, resting on her elbows, Kagome wished the sun to sink even further, even quicker.  It was only then beginning in its descent.  At least it wouldn’t be that much longer until her mother came to retrieve her.  Oh Mama…

“I told her that the prophecy wasn’t about me,” she muttered out loud, half in annoyance, half in relief.  While she was relieved that there was no sign of a half-breed monster coming to claim her, did she really have to spend the entire day by herself, sitting next to an ancient well?

“Higurashi?”

She froze at the low, seductive timbre.  Afraid to lift her head as a figure entered the clearing, Kagome tried to recognize the voice.  It was familiar, yes, but it wasn’t her mother. 

Kagome slowly rolled over, revealing a long smudge down the side of her kimono.  Once she was flat on her back, she sat up and peered at the silhouette against the setting sun.  She used her slender hand to shield against the bright sun rays before recognizing her guest.  “Hojou?  What are you doing here?” she asked, puzzled.  After their fight from the day before, Kagome assumed it would be her that apologized first.

Hojou, his ever-present smile plastered charmingly on his handsome face, sauntered over to Kagome.  He leaned over and extended his hand, offering to help her to stand.

Kagome accepted his hand.  His strong pull had her on her feet in a moment.  But she was not to be dissuaded from her earlier question.  Once she was steady, she asked again, “What are you doing here?”

Hojou shrugged, still smiling.  Kagome felt her right arm move with the motion of his shoulder.  He still held her hand clasped tightly in his own.  She tried discreetly to pull her hand back, but it didn’t work.  Instead, Hojou’s grip tightened.

Kagome’s confusion increased as annoyance caused her to yank harder on her hand.  “Hojou,” she said, through clenched teeth, “please let go of my hand.”  As neither had apologized for the day prior, Kagome understood them to still be in an argument.  In that case, Hojou had no reason to be holding her any longer than necessary – as it was this was totally unlike him.

He let go of her hand, but his smile stayed in place.  Kagome pulled her hand back, rubbing it gently.  The force of Hojou’s grip had left red marks on her porcelain skin.  She caught his eyes raking over her hand and promptly dropped it.  “What is the matter with you, Hojou?” she snapped, taking a step away from him.  The hungry look in his eye did not dissipate; it increased as his gaze traveled up and down.

“Hojou?” he mocked, in a near-perfect mimic of her own high voice.

The sound sent chills up her spine.  Her eyes look around him to see that the sun was still inching slowly downward.  Where was her mother? 

Hojou caught her eyes looking beyond him and scowled.  “Look at me, Kagome.”

Kagome did as she was told.  The harsh tone of his voice dictated that she not refuse his demand.  But, when she met his gaze, she noted that there was something different about him.  His eyes, once brown, were now crimson.

She jerked away from his stare.  Crimson?  Slowly, Kagome turned her head back to verify what she had just seen.  But, before she met his eyes, a haze outlining his form caught her attention.  Suddenly the old priestess’s words came rushing back to her: Ye have the most powerful spiritual aura I have ever felt.  Could such powers be coming to light at this moment?  Is that what she is noticing about Hojou – his own aura?

Or…

Kagome’s thoughts were interrupted when Hojou placed his hand on her cheek.  She flinched under the weight of his touch.  She tried to move her head back, but he seemed content to leave his hand in place, chuckling as he did so.

In the pit of her stomach, Kagome felt a knot begin to form.  Focusing on the clenching tightness she raised her hands to lay them on Hojou’s outstretched arm.  “Let…go…” she said before pushing down.

With the force of her shove, a pinkish explosion erupted from her hands.  Hojou dropped to his knees, clutching his now burned hand with his good one.  His crimson eyes seemed to shine like freshly spilled blood as he squirmed at her feet.

Kagome looked down at her hands, bathed in the faint pink aura that had been the cause of the explosion.  As the aura diminished, she turned her gaze on Hojou.  “Are you al—what is that?”  She pointed down at his arm.  The haze she had spied moments earlier was much stronger as if trying to repair the damage caused by the blast.

Hojou’s response was to laugh hollowly.  “This was not the way I was going to tell you of your destiny, Kagome, but you left me no choice…”  Careful not to put weight on his injured arm, Hojou pulled himself to his feet.  Then, taking two steps back, he shook his right hand once.

She watched in amazement as the haze she noticed spread across his features, almost shimmering against the sunset.  The pulse pounded even louder before a single crack filled the forest.  With that crack, the illusion that had been surrounding the young man fell to the grass and he followed suit.

Kagome made to run forward and help him but found she could not move her feet.  Horrified, she looked down upon her friend.  But, he wasn’t the Hojou she knew.  As he slowly brought himself back to his feet, grinning down at the maiden, Kagome knew she had been deceived.

The figure had long dark hair and was much taller than Hojou had been.  His eyes were the deep crimson she had viewed earlier.  His clothes were much fancier and his grin hid little of his nasty intentions.  He began to come toward her.

Kagome hurriedly stepped away from him, fear welling up inside of her.  She kept moving away until she backed against the well.  When she saw that she had nowhere else to go, Kagome faced the man.  “Who…who… who are you?” she whispered, trying to stay him from his pursuit of her.

He paused for a moment, and Kagome thought that she had been mildly successful.  If she could keep him away from her until her mother came, she should be alright.

However, the man seemed to have a different idea in mind.  He looked down at Kagome, pressed against the well in a most provocative position, and laughed.  Neither the gentle laugh she associated with Hojou, nor the hollow laugh she heard before.  This laugh scared her more than anything else.

He was the monster...