InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Punishment ❯ Chapter 8: Shippo ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 8: Shippo
 
“Inuyasha?” Shippo looked up with his large, green eyes, at Inuyasha who had been pacing the floor of Kaede's hut for the past hour.
 
Inuyasha had thought Shippo asleep, and only held the kitsune in his arms while he walked because it gave him a sense of calm, a sense that he had something to protect, like the feeling he always had had with Kagome near.
 
Shippo let out a small sigh, “What happened?”
 
“With what?” the question had come out more harsh than he had meant.
 
“With Kagome…the day before, when you…”
 
“Keh, I thought Miroku already told you all about it?”
 
“Not everything, he missed the last part, the reason she ran away.”
 
“It's not important.” Inuyasha resumed his pacing.
 
Shippo shrugged and nuzzled back into Inuyasha's chest.
 
“It is important, Inuyasha. Kagome's been gone for a long time now.” Miroku strode in the hut.
 
“What, you think it's my fault, don't you! I didn't do a fucking thing, you hear me!” Inuyasha shouted.
 
“No one is saying you did, Inuyasha, but maybe you could track her down and bring her back. Kagome could get hurt wandering alone.” Sango walked in and stood next to Miroku.
 
“I don't even want to pick up her scent anymore! I don't want to be reminded that it isn't…” Inuyasha trailed off and looked dejectedly at the floor.
 
“Isn't what?” Sango prodded.
 
“Smells wrong…isn't Kagome.” Shippo muttered sleepily.
 
Inuyasha looked down surprised; he had thought that Shippo had not noticed the subtle change in Kagome's scent. Shippo had never said anything before. But many things began to make more sense, the way Shippo would prefer to be held by Inuyasha, how he wanted to sleep with Inuyasha rather than Kagome.
 
These things and more only helped to further progress Kagome's depression.
 
“How has it changed, perhaps this is a clue to what is wrong.”
 
“It hasn't changed, really. That's why I'm surprised the kid noticed it. The air is just stale, it's a stale smell, there's just something missing…” Inuyasha was talking to himself more than anyone; he had contemplated this change in scent since Kagome had come out of the well that last time.
 
“Well, what is missing?” Miroku was eager to continue.
 
“If I fucking knew, don't you think I would have put it back already?” Inuyasha lashed back.
 
“Inuyasha, we're only…”
 
“I don't care what you're only doing; get the fuck out so I can sleep!” Miroku looked outside; the sun was just beginning to set.
 
Miroku and Sango, not wanting to endure the wrath of an enraged Inuyasha, quietly left without another word. Inuyasha sat against a wall, facing the door, and leaned his head against the wood. Shippo stirred in his arms and he looked down. The kit was fully asleep.
 
Inuyasha brushed a few stray hairs from Shippo's eyes; the kitsune relaxed and adopted a serene expression. Looking at the kitsune sleep, it reminded him of Kagome. How Kagome would be so patient with the child, even when the kitsune wouldn't always be easy.
 
In the beginning Shippo had a hard time adjusting to his new life. Kagome was always willing to help, but Shippo was still a youkai, and he had his pride as such. It was hard for him to abandon his pride and allow a human to care for him.
 
“Get away from me Kagome! I can do it myself!” Shippo yelled as Kagome helped the kitsune with his clothes.
 
“Shippo, it wont hurt you to let me help you, will it?” Kagome finished dressing Shippo and carried him out to where the rest of the group was waiting.
 
“Feh!” Shippo did a fairly good impression of Inuyasha.
 
“Are we ready yet; I'm tired of all this stalling.” Inuyasha grumbled.
 
“I think so, I've just given Shippo his bath…and I've told mama I'd be gone a couple of days…so yeah, we're good.” Kagome passed Shippo over to Inuyasha as she shouldered her massive backpack.
 
Once they were out past the village, Shippo started fidgeting in Inuyasha's arms. “Inuyasha, can I sit on your shoulder?” Shippo asked.
 
“I…”
 
“No.” Kagome interrupted Inuyasha.
 
“Please, Inuyasha?” Shippo whined, his large eyes gazing up at Inuyasha, breaking his resolve.
 
“Well…”
 
“No.” Kagome interrupted again, “It's too dangerous, Shippo. You can't hold on to Inuyasha like you were able to before.”
 
“I could hold onto…” Inuyasha began before…
 
“I said no, Inuyasha!” Inuyasha looked down at Shippo.
 
The hanyou's gaze said only `sorry' to the kit, it offered no condolences or solutions. This made Shippo angry.
 
“Why bother saving your life if this is how you treat me.” Shippo grumbled.
 
Inuyasha almost dropped Shippo from shock. He had never heard the child say something so spiteful towards the one who took care of him. Kagome apparently never had either. Her lips formed into a thin line and she walked faster, leading the group. Inuyasha could scent the salty smell of fresh tears.
 
That night everyone except Shippo and Kagome were sitting around a small fire, gazing into the mesmerizing flames. Inuyasha's ears perked, he was listening intently to the soft voices carried to him on the wind.
 
“I'm sorry I said those things, Kagome. I didn't really mean them.”
 
“I know you didn't, Shippo. And I'm sorry as well.”
 
“You don't have anything to be sorry for, Kagome”
 
“Yes, Shippo. I'm sorry I was so stern with you earlier. And you're right, there are some things you can do on your own, I guess I was just being foolish.”
 
“No, I'm glad you do those things for me, Kagome. It's just that…sometimes…” Shippo sighed, how could he ever say what he wanted to say?
 
“Sometimes it feels as if you're not a real youkai anymore?” Kagome guessed.
 
Shippo's mouth hung open, how was it that she had guessed what he had been feeling?
 
Kagome laughed and put her finger under Shippo's chin to close his mouth, “Inuyasha gave me some hints, he thought you might be feeling a bit…embarrassed.”
 
“I'm sorry Kagome; I had no right to feel that way.” Shippo averted his eyes from Kagome's warm gaze.
 
“No, Shippo; you have every right to feel that way. What Naraku took away from you is more than any one of us has had to suffer through.”
 
“Thank you, Kagome.”
 
“No problem, Shippo. Shall we join the others now?”
 
Shippo nodded his head in approval. “Kagome?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“…I love you, Kagome.”
 
“I love you too, Shippo.”
 
Inuyasha never once resented Shippo for causing the changes in Kagome. The hanyou had smelled the change in scent immediately after she had come out of the well, which was when things had begun to go wrong; Kagome withdrew, seeing only Shippo and Inuyasha some days. After a while she refused to see even them.
 
Inuyasha's ears perked up as he scented Kagome. He saw her walk right past the hut he shared with Shippo, not turning to them once. He also smelled salty tears on her, wherever she had been. She had been crying for a very long time.
 
Miroku and Sango caught up with Kagome just past Inuyasha's line of view. He heard the entire confrontation.
 
“Kagome! We have been looking all over for you! Where have you been?” Sango said.
 
“Um…nowhere” Kagome tried to pass but Miroku stopped her.
 
“Kagome, why have you been crying, what is wrong?”
 
“Nothing, nothing is wrong…” Kagome wiped her eyes on the sleeve of her shirt.
 
“Kagome, please, we're your friends.” Sango approached her, but Kagome backed away.
 
“I don't really…feel like talking right now, you guys.” Kagome looked away from their stares.
 
“Kagome. We will need to talk eventually.”
 
“Why, why do we have to talk when there is nothing to talk about?”
 
“Kagome…Kagome, they are gone, you cannot mourn forever.”
 
Kagome caught her breath at Miroku's statement, `They know…but how could they? How could they know that I can't…that I am…'
 
“How did you know?” Kagome asked softly, in a clipped tone.
 
“What?” Sango approached Kagome again, “What do you mean, Kagome?”
 
“Who told you she was gone?” Kagome demanded, grabbing the front of Miroku's robes and shaking him.
 
“Kagome, calm down!” Miroku tried to get himself away from Kagome, but failed.
 
“No! How do you know that she is gone?” Kagome shouted.
 
“Who, who is gone Kagome?” Sango pressed.
 
“Oh, you…I'm…I'm sorry. I need to go now.” Kagome walked off, devoid of any emotion.
 
The sudden change shocked everyone, when Kagome had hold of Miroku she was so much like her old self, so vibrant, so alive. But that life sunk back down again, and all they were left with was a sulking shell, a weak imitation of what used to be Kagome.
 
“Wait, Kagome!” Inuyasha ran out of the hut and towards Kagome with Shippo still in his arms.
 
“I don't have anything else I want to say, Inuyasha.” Kagome kept on walking.
 
“Kagome, just listen to me, will `ya?” Inuyasha stood in front of Kagome, barring her path.
 
“Shippo…” Kagome's eyes fell on the lame kitsune.
 
“Yes, Kagome, Shippo; it's Shippo. You remember.”
 
Kagome nodded her head, trying to resist the tears that welled up in her eyes at the sight of Shippo.
 
“Than why can't you remember how you used to love him, you used to care for him and he loved you. Why can't you remember?” Shippo had been awake to hear the argument between Sango, Miroku and Kagome; he was awake now, though he pretended to be asleep.
 
“I can't…I just can't, okay!” The tears in Kagome's eyes streamed down her face as she tried to run away, but Inuyasha wouldn't let her.
 
“Kagome…Kagome! Why can't you remember how you used to love me?” Kagome stopped struggling and looked up to Inuyasha.
 
The hanyou had truth in his eyes. Kagome embraced Inuyasha, Shippo being squished in between them. But Shippo didn't mind, this was exactly where he wanted to be. He wouldn't trade this moment for the world.
 
“So, kid. I guess Kagome's back, huh?” Inuyasha had known the fox spirit was not asleep.
 
Shippo smiled.
 
 
 
A/N
Sorry it's been so long; actually it's only been about a week, but sorry anyway.
Thank you to the one person so far who has reviewed.
I know this story may perhaps seem a bit unorthodox at times,
But you may grow to like it in the future. *Hint, hint*
Okay, than…that's about all I have to say.
Later.