InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pure As Snow ❯ Let Sleeping Beauties Lie ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6
Let Sleeping Beauties Lie
 
Darkness was all that met Kagome's eyes when the door was swung open. Kaede slowly entered the room, her arms searching for something just inside the doorway. The sound of rock striking rock startled Kagome as a tiny spark ignited the wick of a lantern. Holding the light aloft, Kaede turned and beckoned for Kagome to follow her.
 
Kagome almost choked on the lump in her throat. `This is too strange. I feel like I should be carrying a legendary sword or something.' She couldn't help but laugh at herself, `What am I thinking? That only happens in fairytales.'
 
“Kagome?” Kaede's questioning voice jolted the girl. Shaking her head to get rid of her foolishness and slight fear, Kagome stepped over the threshold. She was surprised when, instead of stepping onto more wood floor, her feet encountered something soft yet prickly. Peering down in the weak light, she saw that she was standing barefoot in partially dry grass. `Strange choice of flooring.'
 
The door closing behind her caused her to jump and twirl around. She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that Kaede was still in the room with her. `Easy, girl. Don't want anyone to think you're paranoid of being locked up in a room or anything.'
 
Glancing around her revealed almost nothing about the room. Lantern light only reached about five feet in front of the two women and the room was at least twenty feet in length. `Wait. Was that a flicker of something towards the back? It seemed…silver-ish.'
 
A hand on her shoulder brought Kagome's attention back to the old woman behind her. Answering the unvoiced question in the girl's eyes, Kaede spoke softly, almost reverently, “I will explain all of this in a moment.” A quick nod was Kagome`s response.
 
Kaede sighed and shuffled past Kagome, taking the light with her. Crossing to the back of the room, Kagome stumbled over something lying on the ground. Examination showed that it was a root. She now knew where the gigantic tree was part of the house. The lack of floor made sense now. The roots of the tree, which spread themselves throughout the ground, would not have been…comfortable if wooden planks had covered them over. `I wonder how sunlight get in here. I didn't notice any windows when I was outside earlier.'
 
A creak to the right of her indicated where Kaede had gone. Kagome watched as the old woman reached the right-most wall and a rope hanging from the ceiling. A tug on the rope answered the problem of how sunlight entered the room. Two shutters shifted open, uncovering skylights, flooding the enclosed space with sunshine. Blinking her eyelids rapidly re-accustomed Kagome to the brightness of the early afternoon. When dots were no longer dancing across her vision, Kagome brought her attention to the back wall, where she was sure she would see the tree imbedded in a wall.
 
`Oh. My. God.'
 
Well, there was the tree, exactly where she expected it to be. The thing she didn't expect was what was on the tree its self.
 
`A boy.' A boy dressed head-to-toe in brilliant red with long, silver (`That was what the light reflected off of.') hair was leaning against the trunk. Kagome approached slowly, as if afraid to disturb the young man. When she was standing a few feet from him, she noticed his eyes were closed and he seemed to be sleeping. `Maybe not sleeping,' she thought as she examined the body.
 
She was now convinced that the boy was dead, due to the arrow protruding from the left side of his chest. `How sad. He looks so peaceful.' Because Kagome had been gazing into his face, it took her a moment to notice the other odd thing about the poor dead boy. His ears. They were not where they were supposed to be, on the side of his face. Instead, they were perched on top of his head. And of course they couldn't have been normal human ears. No, they had to be the most adorable puppy dog-ears Kagome had ever seen.
 
Her hands were already reaching for the furry appendages before Kagome knew what she was doing. She paused for moment, wondering if what she wanted to do would be considered inappropriate. `Undoubtedly, but does it really matter? He won't know the difference.' Resolved, her hands completed their journey and stroked the boy's ears.
 
`So soft. And surprisingly warm, too.' Satisfying herself with a few more tweaks, Kagome dropped her arms to her side and turned her back to the tree.
 
“Almost irresistible, aren't they?” Kagome jumped at least two feet into the air, having totally forgotten about Kaede. She blushed heavily and tried to stammer an apology until Kaede's kind chuckle let the girl know everything was forgiven. “I cannot blame you, child. For when he is asleep thusly, is the only time when anyone may touch his ears.”
 
Kagome blinked, “Asleep? I thought he was dead. The arrow…”
 
A raised palm cut the girl off mid-sentence. “I shall explain. Please sit.” Kaede kneeled stiffly in front of the tree and motioned for Kagome to do the same. Once seated, the old woman began her tale.
 
“A long time ago, fifty years to be precise, there was a powerful priestess named Kikyo. She was beautiful, kind, and blessed with immense spiritual prowess and a pure heart. She was loved by her village and respected by all of those who met her.
 
“Because of her strength and purity, Kikyo had been entrusted with the guarding of a jewel of great power, the Shikon no Tama.” On an impulse, Kagome reached into the pocket where she had stuffed the white marble from before. Kaede smiled gently and nodded when Kagome presented the jewel to her.
 
“The Shikon no Tama, which you now hold, was created centuries ago by the priestess, Midoriko. Due to all the death and violence caused by the wars of that era, the youkai were getting stronger and much more dangerous. Monks and priestesses were highly prized as combatants and were continuously called upon to subdue the demons. However, Midoriko was the only one capable of purifying youkai souls, and her strength was such that she could purify ten youkai with a single arrow. Naturally, her abilities made her the most feared and hated of all and the demons soon devised a plan to dispose of her. Several hundreds of demons sought out a human vessel in which to create the ultimate youkai. They found a man who was enamored with Midoriko, corrupted his lust-filled heart, and merged with his soul. The monster that was created fought Midoriko for seven days and seven nights until sinking its teeth into her. With the last of her strength, Midoriko captured the youkai's soul within her own heart and thrust both of their souls out of her body. The souls solidified into the Shikon no Tama. From that day forth, the power of the Jewel has needed to be balanced. If an evil person or demon holds it, the Jewel is corrupted and swayed by negativity. If held by a pure-hearted one, the Jewel is purified.”
 
Kagome gulped nervously and licked her lips, “So what you're saying is that this jewel,” her hand opened and closed around the jewel convulsively, “is an amplifier for good or evil intentions.”
 
With a grim expression set on her face, Kaede nodded, “Precisely. It is more inclined towards evil, due to the number of youkai souls used to create the monster, but it can only be properly used by one of purest heart.”
 
Kagome shook her head in an effort to believe the old woman's words. “It's too hard to accept now. Please finish the story of Kikyo.”
 
“Very well.” Kaede shifted on her knees for a moment before continuing, “Because of the Jewel's aura, many youkai and black-hearted humans were drawn to the village, in hopes of stealing the power for themselves. Kikyo was able to defend against all, save one.
 
“One day a young hanyou arrived in the forest, following rumors of the Shikon no Tama. He attacked Kikyo. However, instead of killing him straight away, the priestess spared his life, several times in a row, in fact. Every time he would attack, Kikyo would simply pin him down with arrows through his clothing. After several days of this, they finally reached an agreement, where the hanyou would help the priestess protect the Jewel from those who would misuse its power. As time wore on, the two eventually fell in love.
 
“Unfortunately, it was not to last. No one knows exactly how the rift between the two lovers came about, only the outcome. The hanyou attacked the village and stole the Jewel from its resting place in the shrine. Moments later, Kikyo emerged from the forest, gravely wounded. With her remaining strength, she fired a spelled arrow, trapping the hanyou to this very tree. Soon after, she died, but not before she revealed the details of the spell.”
 
Here, Kaede paused, closing her eye. Kagome was on the edge of her seat, so to speak, waiting to hear about the spell. A couple of moments passed before her curiosity got the better of her.
 
“Kaede-baachan, you have to tell me the rest.” She grasped the old woman's shoulders, “I must know what happened.”
 
Kaede opened her eye and smiled at the young girl. Her expression was sad, yet grateful, as if she'd been waiting a long time for something to happen and it finally had. Her withered hand reached up to rest on Kagome's cheek. When she spoke, her voice was laden with repressed emotions.
 
“Kagome. You are such a sweet child, as to be worried about what has happened in the past.” Straightening her bent frame, Kaede took a deep breath. All the tension that had filled her was released with her exhalation. “Before I continue, I must clarify something. There was only one person whom Kikyo trusted with the information of the spell. Her younger sister, who was training to be a priestess like her elder sibling.”
 
Kagome wilted slightly at the knowledge. “Does that mean I have to go find this younger sister for the rest of the story?”
 
A shocked look appeared on the old woman's face. “Gods, no. I was merely stating that only one person knows of this spell.”
 
Confused, Kagome stuttered, “T-then wh…”
 
“I am her younger sister,” Kaede explained.
 
“Oh.”
 
Kaede laughed at the dumbfounded expression Kagome sported. “Do not worry, child. I shall reveal all to you.” Sobering somewhat at thoughts of the priestess and the hanyou, Kaede resumed where she had left off, “Kikyo was a forgiving person. So when she set the spell, she placed an opportunity at redemption within it. The hanyou was to sleep for at least fifty years. After these fifty years passed, One would come who was pure of heart and able to pass three tests laid down by Kikyo herself. The first test would be if the One could see past the barrier which rendered both tree and hanyou invisible.”
 
Kagome brightened a bit. `One down.'
 
“The second test would be if, when handed the Shikon no Tama, the One could turn the Jewel a white as pure as snow.”
 
`Two down,' she grinned.
 
“The third and final test will be to see if the One can pull the arrow from Inuyasha's chest, thus freeing him.”
 
Kagome's grin wavered, “Is that his name? Inuyasha?”
 
Kaede nodded, “Aye, child. His father was a great inu-youkai, who ruled the West. His mother was a princess of the land and a great beauty.”
 
Kagome fixed her eyes onto the boy seemingly forgotten in all the excitement. `Inuyasha. It suits him.' Realizing what she had thought, Kagome blushed wildly. `How can I know what suits him or not. For all I know, he could be a sniveling little brat.' But still, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was right. She stood and brought herself closer to examine the strange looking hanyou-boy, Inuyasha.
 
Her eyes roamed over the hanyou's form, trying to find anything that might reveal a part of his personality. His long hair, now that she looked more closely, was not as silver as she first thought. It was closer to white, with a few silver highlights. Two locks of hair were situated over his shoulders, perfect for playing with or tucking behind ears, if one had ears in the right spot that is. The remainder of the silver-white mass reached to past his waist and than some. `He's got to have a hell of a time brushing all of that. Maybe he'd let me do it for him. No, bad `Gome. Let's not go there. You've already molested his ears.' A quick glance at said ears almost had the girl squealing in delight. `Must. Control. Impulse. To rub.'
 
In an attempt to control herself, Kagome decided to study his face. `He looks so young. He can't be much older than me.' The hanyou's face was even and masculine. Black eyebrows winged themselves over his closed eyes. `I wonder what color they are.' His cheekbones were high enough to give him a fine toned look, but not high enough to make him feminine. His nose was a little wide, almost like someone had squished or broken it when he was younger. His lips… Kagome paused and just stared at his mouth. `I wonder if they're as soft as they look.' She felt herself leaning forward, but caught herself before she could do anything too embarrassing.
 
Kagome felt the blush overtaking her normal skin tone. `I have really got to get a hold of myself.' Slapping herself lightly on overheated cheeks, she took a step back. Her gaze wandered done to the body below the face.
 
Red. It was everywhere. His haori was red, his hakama were red, even his… no, his under kimono was a cream color. Kagome watched his chest, looking for a sign of breathing. `No bre…wait, no. Ah, there!' A subtle rise and fall of chest was present, but wouldn't be noticed if one wasn't staring intently. Which Kagome was now doing, although she wasn't paying attention to his breathing. She was examining the smooth muscles that were running just below the surface of the hanyou's shirts. The boy was lean, yet well muscled. Kagome supposed that his arms would as well sculpted as the tiny bit of flesh she could see at the vee of the under kimono. She really couldn't imagine how the rest of his body might look, due to the fact that his clothes were so baggy. Long sleeves covered his hands down to almost the fingertips. Kagome frowned slightly as she noticed the length of his nails. “Like claws.`
 
The waist of the hakama pulled in the bottom of the haori, accenting a trim waist, but obscuring everything else as the pants belled out and downwards. The fabric was gathered at the ankles, probably so he wouldn't trip on the legs. His feet were bare and looked as if he had never worn a pair of shoes in his life.
 
Her initial once-over complete, Kagome decided to go through the process a couple more times. The hanyou was perfect. Well, physically at least. The only mar that Kagome could see was the arrow that penetrated Inuyasha's chest, right where his heart was. That and the fact that she still didn't know what color his eyes were. `They've got to be something exotic, like the deepest blue possible or something.'
 
Kagome stared into the hanyou's face once more. She was so occupied with her perusal that she didn't hear Kaede step up behind her.
 
“Kagome.”
 
“ACK!” The poor girl leapt a mile into the air. She whirled around to face the older woman, “Kaede-baachan, don't scare me like that.” She placed her hand over her hand in an attempt to quell the pounding. “Hey, question. How can he be breathing if his heart's been used as a pincushion?”
 
Kaede shrugged, “One of the many things I don't know. Perhaps part of the spell.”
 
Kagome turned back towards the hanyou, frowning. “That just doesn't seem right. If he's breathing, his heart should be beating.” She stepped forward till she was toe-to-toe with him. She reached her hand up until the arrow was between the gap of her thumb and forefinger, fingertips hovering but not touching fabric. Swallowing her indecision, Kagome placed her hand upon his chest.
 
Nothing at first. Then slowly, softly, Kagome felt a beat coming from Inuyasha's heart. One, pause, pause, pause. Two, pause, pause. Three, pause. Four. Five. Her heart was accelerating along with his, beating a staccato against her ribs. Moments passed and the beating only grew stronger, until it was reverberating throughout her entire body.
 
Kagome barely heard Kaede's soft gasp of wonder she was concentrating so hard on keeping her hand where it was on his chest, just below the arrow. She was amazed at the feeling of power running through both her and the hanyou, pulsing in time with their hearts.
 
Suddenly the desire to grasp the arrow just above her hand swept through Kagome. She was hard pressed to do anything but obey, so she simply wrapped her fingers around the slender shaft.
 
No sooner had she touched it, did the arrow disappear in a burst of blue-ish light. Kagome was left holding nothing as the pulsing energy surrounding her dissipated. Wondering what was going on, she lifted her face to the only one who could give her some clue. Inuyasha.
 
His eyes were still closed, but his expression was no longer one of peaceful slumber. His brow was furrowing and his nose wrinkling. `He's waking up!' Kagome thought in wonder. `I can finally see what color his eyes are.'
 
With as close as she was, Kagome could see his eyes moving underneath the lids, searching, wondering why it was so dark. Slowly, his lashes fluttered partially open, closed again, up to half, closed, than fully open.
 
`Gold. His eyes are gold.' Close enough to the truth. They were more of a honey-brown, backlit by sunshine. They were amber, melted done to liquid form. They were a brilliant orange with more than a hint of yellow. They were all these and more. In short, Kagome liked his eyes.
 
Until they locked onto her.
 
The action of his eyes and the emotions behind the golden irises was telling and intense. First, blinking, lost and unsure as to where he was. Second, darting in confusion, as he tried to answer the question by himself. Third, when he finally looked down at Kagome, wide in surprise and alarm. And Last… Last was narrowed in anger. Anger and betrayal.
 
She shrank away from the now furious hanyou in front of her, as he opened his beautiful mouth to flash deadly fangs and snarl heatedly,
 
“Kikyo, you BITCH!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
 
A/N: WooHoo! 2 chapters in a day. I really like this chapter and I hope you do too. Enjoy!
 
Reminder. Questions, comment, etc. please review or e-mail to me.
 
Remember. Inuyasha will be tied up for my own personal use. As soon as Takahashi-sama puts him up for auction on e-bay. (back, you evil bidding harpies, back, I say!)