InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity ❯ Purity ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Purity
One-shot
By: Kicnlus_inuforeva
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha; I just bend the characters to my evil will. Thank you, Takahashi-san for creating such amazing characters.
 
It was over. Naraku defeated. The jewel whole once more. Their quest - complete. None of them could believe it.
Miroku had taken to staring at his hand, unable to fully comprehend that his Kazaana was gone.
Sango was more talkative, and spent most of her time with Kohaku, who had been revived by Tenseiga. None of them knew why, but all of them were secretly grateful to Sesshoumaru.
Kagome was even more joyous, but a kind of secret passion lay within her. Her eyes shone with love's light and her face held hope.
Inuyasha had gone silent. A sort of enlightenment came upon him, but he seemed weary, and tired. It seemed odd to him. This was his life quest - over at seventeen. He never yelled anymore. He seldom spoke at all.
Kagome wondered about him often. What would he do now? Kikyou was at rest. Forever. To her, Inuyasha seemed almost lost. He had nothing to avenge, no love to follow, no journey to complete. But one thing weighed her flying spirit down.
Never to Kagome had the idea of going home brought tears to her eyes and pain to her heart.
She thought her time was up in the land she loved so much. But it wouldn't be just the scenery Kagome would miss.
Inuyasha.
How could she leave him forever?
She loved him.
Something else was confusing Kagome.
How do you purify the jewel?
Was it even possible?
Kaede didn't know how to purify it. Kagome almost didn't want to purify the Shikon no Tama. She thought it was her last task.
But worrying was for later - until then, the sun was shining, and her renewed love of life sang in her heart. Smiling, she set off for a walk.
Inuyasha watched her go. She didn't know that he had been watching her for a long time now. Inuyasha knew Kagome had to leave soon. The thought made his heart grow heavy with an unknown emotion.
He didn't know exactly when he had come to care for Kagome so much - all he knew was that if she did leave forever he would never be happy again.
Inuyasha was feeling sad lately - he wasn't completely sure of the reason. Naraku was dead. The jewel was whole. The quest finished.
Isn't that what he wanted? No, he realized.
True, he wanted Naraku dead, Kikyou avenged.
But he wanted Kagome.
With this last thought, Inuyasha fell into a deep sleep.
~
Kagome decided to sit down. She needed a break. Leaning against a tree, Kagome began to dream…
~*~*~*~*~
Inuyasha didn't know where he was. The only that kept him from running was sudden scent that his nose loved. Kagome was with him.
“Kagome?” he said, looking at her, but she seemed different. Her emotions were so easy to read. She was wondrous, incredulous…but always pulsing with the beauty of life. He wondered if he was as out in the open with his feelings.
It would explain the shocked and worried expression on her face.
“Inu…yasha?” she whispered, eyes wide.
Kagome had never seen him so forlorn, so wistful, so depressed. What was going on here?
Inuyasha sighed, jolting her out of her ponderings. “Are we...dreaming?” he said.
“I…don't know.” Kagome replied, unsure.
Suddenly another figure appeared. They stared in wonder as the proud form of Midoriko smiled at them. She began to speak.
“You have done well.” She began.
“Naraku is gone and jewel is complete once more. But neither of you are happy. I can tell you why.”
Inuyasha and Kagome glanced at each other, flushed a little bit and looked back to the miko.
“Kagome - I'm not going to say why you don't wish to go home. I'll leave that to you. But that must be explained, or it will be too late for both of you.”
Kagome trembled, suddenly fearful.
“Inuyasha - you are miserable. Your duty is done. Naraku is gone. Kikyou is avenged. But the fact remains - you never wanted to be alone. Soon, if you let them, Sango will go back to her village with Kohaku, Miroku will stay with Mushiin, and Kagome will leave your time forever. I will not say which is most important to you, but if you don't say something, once more, you will lose them all.”
The pain on Inuyasha's face was almost unbearable for Kagome to watch.
“Why are you telling us this?” she said in a shaky voice.
“I give you the chance to be happy. All I say is this - purify the jewel and you will understand.” Midoriko beamed at them, the essence of delight.
“But how?” Inuyasha burst out.
“Pray. The two of you, with the jewel. Praying will help you with your lives.”
Neither of them understood completely, but there was no time to ask.
The dream was over.
Inuyasha and Kagome both woke up and set off to find each other.
They nearly collided in the middle of the forest.
“Was that…for real?” Kagome whispered, staring up at him.
Inuyasha thought for a moment. “Yeah.” He finally said.
“Should we try and purify the jewel?” she asked.
His face got a little sad at this, but he nodded anyway, and sat down.
Kagome kneeled, placing the jewel between them.
She looked up to see that Inuyasha's eyes were closed, and followed suit.
They both knew they weren't dreaming, yet Kagome swore there was another presence, not Midoriko, asking them questions.
“Answer me this.” It said to Kagome. “What is your deepest desire?”
Kagome thought about it. “I guess I want the jewel to be pur - no.” she cut herself off. “To be with Inuyasha…if I could be with him I wouldn't ask anything more!” she finished with a sort of desperate fierceness.
Kagome knew it was satisfied, and it left. She was happy - she prayed.
The voice then went to Inuyasha.
“Answer me this.” It began once more. “What is your deepest desire?”
Normally Inuyasha would've shouted, but he wasn't himself.
“Do you know, I've been asking myself the same question, and it don't get me any answers that way.” He said instead.
Instead of answering, the voice showed him Kagome. She was kneeling still, head down and hands clasped, feverishly praying.
She looked up and saw Inuyasha. Her eyes danced with delight.
“Inuyasha! Did you answer its question?”
He shook his head, and she grew thoughtful.
She stood up, and walked over to him. He was still just sitting there.
Kagome sat next to him, and leaned her head on his shoulder, which made him redden slightly.
“It helped me you know. I wish I could help you the same way.” She murmured softly.
Realization hit the Hanyou very hard just then.
Kagome.
She cared for him.
He cared for her.
Kagome would be the one he missed most.
“Kagome…” he whispered, a little shakily.
“Yeah?” she looked up at him, smiling.
“I…I…I think I know the answer.”
She beamed, the biggest smile he had ever seen breaking out on her features, lighting her face up to the point where she seemed almost angelic.
Something on his face softened as well, looking down at her like that.
Inuyasha imagined seeing that smile every day.
Something in his heart sang with hope.
Then another possibility came upon him.
What if Kagome left? After all, her family lived there.
She belonged there.
His face paled and grew afraid.
Suddenly, he couldn't stand it any longer.
He reached down to grab her wrist, and pulled her towards him.
“Inu…yasha?” she said, from somewhere on his shoulder.
Kagome suddenly felt confident, there in his arms.
“Do you want to know what my wish was?” she whispered.
“A-alright.” He replied, voice cracking a little.
She snuggled down into his warmth, saying softly, “To be with you forever.”
He stiffened at this.
Kagome looked up at Inuyasha, who was staring down at her. As if on a sudden impulse, he reached up to tilt her chin up, and leaned down to gently kiss her.
The girl nearly gasped, but chose instead to open her mouth and put her hands on his head to bring him closer.
Sheer bliss.
The jewel glowed for a moment, unnoticed, then disappeared.
Purified.
Sango and Miroku, walking by, noticed the two of them and stopped.
Miroku laughed softly, and Sango smiled. Both were happy their friends could be together at last.
Lifetimes after, Inuyasha and Kagome finally pulled apart.
Inuyasha said nothing, just pulled her a little closer into his arms.
No words needed to be said.
“Is this it then? The true end?” Kagome finally murmured, content either way.
“The end of Naraku,” he said. “The beginning of us.”
 
Author's Notes…
 
This is in no way something to promote praying or something. I just used that because priestesses…and priestesses pray…I think…so yeah. There are no subconscious messages telling you to convert to Christianity or something.
 
Basically I wrote this a long time ago, but never posted it up…and the voice, the voice that was asking them questions, that was the combined souls of the jewel. In case you didn't quite understand.
Um yes…if you want, check out my other fanfictions…
 
Thank you for reading. Please review.