InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quadrangle ❯ Provoking the Miko ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: Hmmm…. *reads reviews” … I hate Kikyou… kill Kikyou… make her suffer… You guys don't seem to like her that much. You know, there are worse things than dieing…
 
Thanks to all for reading and review my drivel!
 
FFnet: Media; Forgotten Angel - good to see you again! Don't worry, she'll get hers; LastRitez; swirling eyes; Athenaea - thanks!; Tora Delerium; Anime Lady PIMP; Neisha; Sessysmate
 
MMorg: gothic hanyou - yeah, thinking things through is not one of Inuyasha's strong points
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any character created by Rumiko Takahashi
 
Chapter 2 - Provoking the Miko
 
Kagome groaned and rolled over, trying to shield her face from the bright morning sun. Why was it that no matter where she chose to sleep and how dense the forest canopy, a ray of sun managed to hit her in her face? It couldn't hit her somewhere else? A muffled protest and small flailing feet forced her to uncurl and release the angry red ball of fluff.
 
“I'm sorry, Shippo,” she mumbled, sitting up rubbing her eyes with her balled fists.
 
“Feh,” the kit huffed, burrowing back into the sleeping roll.
 
Kagome smiled at his Inuyasha-like response and glanced around for the hanyou. For the last couple of nights, he's stuck around, much to her delight. Perhaps Kikyou had sent him packing. A girl could hope, couldn't she?
 
She spotted him in the tree above her, staring down at her with a strange smirk. It had been two full days since he'd made his careless wish but she still couldn't get used to the range of emotion that flowed across the ex-demon lord's face. She had supposed that his face was immobile, like a woman who'd had one too many face-lifts, but that apparently wasn't the case. Each expression fitted his graceful features with a breathtaking beauty.
 
She blushed, realizing that she was admiring Sesshomaru. `No, no, it's okay. I'm admiring Inuyasha, not Sesshomaru.' But no matter how she rationalized it, she had to admit he was good-looking, the kind of guy one would find on a poster her in school friends' bedrooms. She recalled a poster that Eri had bought recently, a muscled hunk wearing nothing but a pair of cut-off shorts, and blushed harder, not even wanting to go where this train of thought was leading her.
 
“What are you staring at, wench?” Inuyasha snapped down at her.
 
Kagome jumped guiltily. “Nothing, Inuyasha. Did you sleep well?”
 
“Who could, with you snoring like a troll?”
 
“I don't snore!”
 
“The fuck you don't!”
 
“Inuyasha!”
 
Sesshomaru cut in, the harshness of his borrowed voice at odds with the formality of his speech, “You will refrain from using such language around Rin.”
 
Ignoring him, Inuyasha continued, “You snore so fucking loud they could hear you in the next village.”
 
“Osuwari!” Inuyasha's smirk spread across his face into a wide grin as his brother was thrown to the ground. “Inuyasha, you did that on purpose!” Kagome stomped her foot in anger, then hurried over to Sesshomaru's prone form. She had to stop saying that word; Sesshomaru did not have a sense of humor about the subduing spell, or anything else for that matter.
 
She kneeled next to the demon lord, worrying her lip with her teeth. This wasn't the first time that Inuyasha had provoked her into sitting his brother; she was sure that he found some kind of perverse pleasure in it. “I'm sorry! I know I say this a lot, but I really mean it.” His hanyou ears were flattened against his head, a growl vibrating against the soft soil of the forest floor. “Please don't be angry with me.”
 
Rin sat next to Kagome, peering down at her idol with concern. “My lord, Rin is sure that Kagome-sama did not mean it.”
 
Kagome nodded vigorously and clasped her hands under her chin. “I… I promise I'll make it up to you.”
 
“You may start by removing these beads,” he said coldly as he picked himself up off the ground, resisting the urge to wrench the accursed thing from his neck. He'd tried that already and had ended up with burnt palms.
 
Inuyasha shouted from his perch in the tree, “Ha! I had to wear it, now you gotta!”
 
Kagome looked up at him pleadingly from her position on the ground. “Now, Sesshomaru-sama, I explained why I can't do that.”
 
“Yes,” he said bitterly, “because when we are returned to our bodies, you want the beads to be in place. But we are no closer to a solution than we were two days ago.”
 
“I know,” she whispered, staring at her hands in her lap. It was true; she had no idea how to fix this. She still wore the lifeless jewel around her neck; the cold stone against her skin was somehow comforting. Inuyasha had scoffed at her but she just couldn't give it up, not after everything they'd done to get it.
 
She'd fibbed a little about her reasoning for removing the beads. They were her connection to Inuyasha, and she was afraid that once that link was broken, he really would be lost to her. As long as he wore them, he would come back to her, at least in order for her to take them off. In all fairness, she should take the beads from Sesshomaru and put them on Inuyasha, but she doubted the he'd sit still for that.
 
“Breakfast!” Sango called out cheerfully from the campfire. Shippo's head appeared from underneath her sleeping bag, blinking sleepily. He spied Rin clambering to her feet to get her porridge and wrinkled his nose, his green eyes flashing. Though he didn't really like the gloppy stuff, he sure wasn't going to let the girl eat it all. With a flick of his puffy read tail, he scampered over to where Sango was scooping porridge into bowls. Inuyasha jumped out of the tree with an undignified whoop. Even Jaken tottered toward the food with a minimal amount of grumbling.
 
“Won't you join us, Sesshomaru-sama?” Kagome asked quietly as she climbed to her feet.
 
“I do not eat human food,” he replied, turning away from the rambunctious sounds of breakfast being served and eaten.
 
She sighed heavily. He hadn't eaten or slept since he had joined their group, which was beginning to worry her. Sure, Inuyasha didn't sleep much, but he was always eating. If the demon lord didn't swallow his pride and take care of his body, he would soon find that it wouldn't work like it should. She supposed that she'd have to let him figure it out for himself, but her heart ached to see anyone suffer, even Sesshomaru. “Are you sure?”
 
He nodded once and walked over to Ah-Un. After a cursory glance over the dragon's wounds, he sneaked a glance at the girl out of the corner of his eyes. Why she would care about whether he ate or not mystified him. He did not consider himself their ally; their current arrangement was by necessity only and when things returned to normal, they would become enemies once again. But she tended to him as if he were a part of their group, one of her friends.
 
His ears twitched as her voice rose in frustration; Inuyasha was once again upsetting her with idle insults. Recognizing the tone, he knew that she would soon holler out the hated word and humiliate him. This would not do.
 
His lips curled back in a snarl as he picked up several smooth stones and lobbed one at his brother, eyes glowing with satisfaction when he yelped in pain.
 
“Ow! Whaddya do that for?” Inuyasha whirled toward his half-brother, rubbing the lump on his head.
 
“You are provoking the miko. I suggest that you stop.”
 
“Or you'll what?” Inuyasha growled, eyes beginning to bleed red.
 
Sesshomaru fought against the urge to growl back and answer the challenge with his claws. No wonder his brother was such a violent idiot; his blood was wild. With enormous effort, he kept his heart rate steady and his face expressionless, the only signs of his struggle visible in his pinned ears and clenched fists.
 
“As much as I hate to say it, he's right, Inuyasha. You've been picking on Kagome for the last two days. Give it a rest, already,” Sango wagged the serving spoon at him, one hand planted on her hip.
 
“Why are you taking his side?” he demanded of the taijiya, awkwardly trying to cross his arms over his chest before he remembered that he only had the one.
 
“I'm not taking anyone's side, I'm just telling you to lay off. You, too!” she sent a speaking glare to the monk, whose hand had crept uncomfortably close to her rear.
 
He gave her an innocent look and took a dish from the pile next to her. “My dear Sango, I was merely-“
 
“Save it.”
 
Inuyasha huffed and plopped down next to Shippo, snatching the kit's bowl and downing the contents. Shippo yowled loudly and ran to Kagome. She cuddled him, and then got him a new bowl of porridge, promising him a piece of candy after breakfast. The little kit dried his tears and finished his breakfast in her lap.
 
`What has gotten into Inuyasha?' she wondered. He had always been gruff with the kit, but lately he was aggressive and downright mean! He was as bad as when Kouga came around. Was this some kind of male dog thing? She didn't know, but by kami, she was tired of it. As Shippo unwrapped the lollipop she had produced from her backpack, she scooted him off her lap and approached Sesshomaru as he tended to his dragon.
 
“Uh, Sesshomaru-sama? Thanks for sticking up for me.” She scuffed the toe of her shoe in the dirt, her hands clasped behind her back.
 
“This Sesshomaru does not require gratitude from a human. I simply did not wish you to say that again.”
 
Kagome blushed. Yes, she had been about to say it; Inuyasha made her so mad sometimes! “Well, thanks anyway. Here, let me do that.” She knelt next to him, loosening the bandage on the dragon's side, careful to not pull on his scales, and applied ointment to the deep gash in his side. Ah-Un relaxed under her nimble fingers, whuffling when she replaced the bandage and gave him a tender pat. “I think he's well enough to travel.”
 
“Indeed.”
 
“Yep! You'll be just fine, won't you?” she directed this last comment to the head that nudged her arm gently. She grinned and stroked his scaly nose.
 
“What are they eating?” Sesshomaru asked suddenly.
 
“Huh?” Kagome followed his gaze to Rin, Shippo, and the lollipop that Rin was pulling out of her mouth and handing back to Shippo. She jumped to her feet and hurried over to them. “Guys, that's not sanitary! Why don't I get you your own lollipop, Rin?”
 
XxxxxxxxX
 
Inuyasha stomped at the head of the group, fuming. She had thanked him. Thanked his brother. That had not been his intention! Why couldn't she just shoot at him like she used to? `Because she's kind-hearted,' his conscious reminded him. `The same reason she's put up with you for so long.' The fact was that he didn't like Kagome paying attention to any male except him, and that feeling had increased tenfold since he'd been thrown into this body. Even her contact with Shippo bothered him. He wanted to drag the kit away from her, shake him, and make him understand that Kagome was HIS!
 
Flinching, Inuyasha imagined the sitting he'd receive if Kagome could hear that thought, but he couldn't deny that his blood sang a song of possession when it came to the girl. And to see her attending to his brother, an alpha male who challenged his authority… well, he'd do anything in his power to see him humiliated, even if it meant irritating Kagome. She'd get over it, like she always did.
 
His mood blackened as his mind wandered to his agreement with Kikyou, yet another betrayal of the girl in his thoughts. She'd promised to look into reversing the spell and had told him to meet her on the night of the new moon, which was now only five days away. At first he'd been hesitant; that was the night that his demon blood receded, leaving him a mere mortal. But he wasn't a hanyou anymore; his brother would be submitted to that particular torture. That thought lightened his heart and he grinned, cracking his knuckles as he pictured his brother as a weak human.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome's quiet voice started him and he glanced down at her. She smiled tentatively.
 
“Yeah, what is it?” he asked gruffly, secretly pleased that she'd joined him. Walking close to him, she had to hurry to keep up with his long strides and he slowed his pace in deference to her.
 
“I thought you might want some company. You don't mind, do you?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“It's just that we haven't been getting along very well lately and, well, you've been acting strangely and I thought we could talk about it.”
 
“I ain't been acting strange. Something's wrong with your brains.” Her face fell as soon as the words were out of his mouth and he looked away, mildly ashamed for upsetting her. When he sensed her begin to pull away, he scrambled to smooth things over. Damn girls and their need to talk about everything.
 
“I'm all… outta sorts. Everything's changed.” He huffed, knowing he wasn't making a lot of sense but unable to describe it any better.
 
Kagome nodded as if she understood. “It's the demon blood, right?” At his nod, she gave him an intensely questioning look. “Do you like it? Being a full demon, I mean?”
 
“That's a stupid question: of course I like it. I just wish I weren't in that bastard's body,” Inuyasha snapped. It was true for the most part: he like the heightened senses, increased strength, and the heady rush of power through his veins. However, he didn't like the foreign instincts with which he didn't know what to do. As a hanyou, his human blood had tempered some of the more animalistic urges.
 
Kagome was scowling again; she hated being called stupid, even if it was indirectly. Crossing her arms over her chest, she thought of the few tender moments she had had with him and how long it had been since they'd shared one. Which led her mind to the awkwardness at hand: Naraku was dead; the jewel was powerless; once they had returned Inuyasha and Sesshomaru to their proper forms, what then? How could she ever know his feelings if he wouldn't talk to her?
 
XxxxxxxxX
 
The sounds of merriment and laughter filtered through the walls of rough wooden hut, reminding the companions of their recent victory, though no one felt like celebrating. Firelight caressed their faces, etching deep lines in Kaede's skin and throwing into sharp relief the cloudiness of her remaining eye. The humans sat around the fire, Shippo curled in Kagome's lap. Inuyasha sat with his back against the wall and his legs crossed, staring wistfully at Tetsusaiga. Normally, the sword would lean against his shoulder but he couldn't touch it; he'd already tried. Sesshomaru stood apart from the group, calmly at ease and feigning disinterest in the conversation but in truth, he listened carefully to ever word said.
 
“Are you sure?” Kagome asked doubtfully, staring at the empty jewel in her hand. “It looks pretty harmless to me.”
 
“Aye, the fact that it still remains on this earth is proof. The Shikon no Tama is merely dormant and still could pose a threat if brought back to life,” Kaede admonished her.
 
“But Kikyou said that by wishing on it, the jewel would be purified.”
 
“My sister believed that a selfless and pure wish would purify it. Not a careless mistake,” she cast a narrow glance at Inuyasha, who snorted and looked away.
 
“Can it, ya old bag. I don't need you scolding me, too,” he grouched back.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome protested, twisting around and placing a small hand on his arm. He sulked but quieted. “Kaede, what should we do?”
 
“I know not, my child, other than to keep it safe. It will not attract demons like before, but if it falls into the wrong hands…” Kagome's eyes widened as the miko trailed off and she hid the jewel in her blouse.
 
“Could it be used to reverse this travesty?” Sesshomaru spoke from the shadows of the doorway for the first time.
 
All heads turned toward him and Kaede frowned. “Ye mean wish yourselves back, milord? I suppose, but I doubt that the jewel would grant a second wish from the same person. Ye would have to learn to use the power of the jewel without wishing, and that is a dangerous path indeed.”
 
Sesshomaru crossed his arms over his chest; cold eyes glowing and silver ears flicking in irritation. “Do you dare insinuate that this Sesshomaru is not up to the task?”
 
Kaede refused to be intimidated, “Milord, I do nothing but warn ye that the jewel's power can be insidious and evil, even when the user has the best of intentions.”
 
“We hear your warning, Lady Kaede, and will take heed. We will use the jewel only as a last resort,” Miroku stated solemnly.
 
“Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?” Sango asked. “We don't even know how to bring the jewel back to its full power!”
 
Raising her voice slightly, Kaede moved the subject away from the jewel. “Ye would do well to find the Yama-dera monastery in the highest crags of the northern mountains. The monks there have spent their lives delving the mystery of the soul.”
 
Miroku nodded, “I have considered that place, but wanted to get your opinion first, Lady Kaede, before mentioning it to the group. They do not take kindly to demons, but we may be able to convince them to help us.”
 
“I think it is your best chance to undo this magic.”
 
Silence descended on the hut as each was absorbed into his or her own thoughts. Kagome pressed a hand to her chest over the cold lump of the tama and gazed sadly at Inuyasha, tracing the magenta stripes on his cheek with her eyes. She felt partially responsible for his predicament… if only she hadn't handed him the jewel when she had. There was no reason for him to have had it at that time and she knew he could be careless. She should have given to him right before she left for her own time.
 
She sighed heavily, remembering their earlier argument about the well. Kagome had wanted to test it to see if had closed. Inuyasha had flat out refused to let her try.
 
“No fucking way! What if you can't get back?” he'd almost yelled in her face.
 
“But my family-“
 
“Can wait! We need you here to fix this!”
 
“You had no problem letting me go home a week ago,” she snapped, then immediately regretted her words. He stared at her, expression clouding with hurt. Finally, he'd turned away, looking off into the distance.
 
“Keh. You're not going, and that's final.”
 
Kagome hadn't had the heart to argue; who knew that Sesshomaru could have puppy-dog eyes? Maybe it was the hanyou inside that had brought them out. Regardless, he'd been distant with her since and could have given his brother a run for his money in cold stares.
 
Breaking the silence with a sharp clap of his hands, Miroku stood. “We are missing our own victory celebration. Come, my dear Sango, have a drink with me,” he tugged on the taijiya's hand.
 
“I don't know…” she blushed but allowed him to lead her out of the hut.
 
Gently nudging Shippo awake, Kagome transferred the kit to her shoulder and got to her feet, dusting off her short pleated skirt and heading toward the door.
 
“Where do you think you're going, wench?” Inuyasha eyed her narrowly.
 
“To join the party?” she paused with her hand on the reed mat that served as a door. “You know, the one they're throwing in our honor?”
 
His glower intensified but he got off the floor, following her to the doorway. “Just don't get any funny ideas about going through the well.”