InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quadrangle ❯ Returning a Favor ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 5 - Returning a Favor
 
“Kagome!”
 
“Kagome, where are you?”
 
“Kago-ME!”
 
“Damn it Shippo, when did she leave?” Sango asked, frustration lacing her voice and making it harsher than she'd intended.
 
Shippo clung to Rin, sobbing into her chest. “Sh-she went f-for a bath in the m-m-middle of the ni-ight.” Rin hugged the little kit tighter, her own eyes unnaturally moist and her chin dimpled and quivering. She cast Sesshomaru a watery glance and he walked to stand next to her, not touching but close enough to lend her his support.
 
“Surely she can't still be there?” Miroku wondered aloud, his eyes straining to see through the thick forest in the pre-dawn gloom. “She's probably with Inuyasha.”
 
“She was at the spring when last I saw her,” Sesshomaru stated quietly.
 
“That was hours ago! It's not like her to simply disappear, even with Inuyasha!” Sango snapped. “I'm checking it out.” She stomped over to the pile of weapons, pulling Hiraikotsu from underneath two swords… wait a sec…
 
“Shit,” she swore vehemently, slinging the enormous boomerang onto her back with more force than necessary.
 
Miroku's head snapped around, startled to hear such language from her. “Lady Sango?”
 
“Tokijin and Tenseiga are gone.”
 
Sesshomaru hastened to her side, scanning the ground for his missing blades. Tetsusaiga and Sango's short sword lay side-by-side, but there others were nowhere to be seen or felt. “Inuyasha is the only one who could have taken Tokijin and not be overwhelmed by its demonic aura.” Crouching down, he raised Tetsusaiga from the ground, holding it almost gingerly.
 
Sango sighed heavily; this did not bode well for her friends. “Take it, Sesshomaru-sama. We may need it.”
 
The group tore up the path, Shippo and Rin riding Kirara so that they could keep up. Shippo was still sniffling miserably into Rin's kimono. The little girl felt so badly for the kit; she had her Sesshomaru-sama, but Kagome-sama was Shippo's guardian and now she was missing. Though no one had said so, Rin knew that they feared for the woman's life. It saddened Rin; she like the kind woman who treated her like she was one of her own, instead of like the village women who had shoed her away from their children and homes. In the time they'd been traveling together, a deep bond had formed between the kit and child, more than just kinship of two former orphans. Cooing softly and rocking the kitsune, Rin silently promised him that he wouldn't be left alone like she had been.
 
“She is here,” Sesshomaru broke through the hushed sounds of heavy breathing, “but her scent is tainted.”
 
Shippo wailed mournfully and sprang out of Rin's arms. Rin slid off the firecat's back and raced after him, her short legs pumping to keep up with him. Sango and Miroku followed closely behind.
 
Sesshomaru scented the air again, as if another breath would change the unmistakable odor of his poison corroding flesh. A shrill scream split the air, forcing his body into motion. He could never ignore her scream. Already knowing what he'd find, he glided down the path toward the hysterical group of humans, his heart strangely heavy. She was brave and honorable, for a human female, and did not deserve the painful death that awaited her.
 
“Shippo, give her room to breathe,” Sango choked around the lump in her throat as she pulled Kagome's still form from the water. At first, she'd been afraid that the girl had drowned and washed up on the bank, but she still breathed shallowly; only her cheek and hand been in the water. Rolling her onto her back, Sango discovered the real reason for her friend's pallor and chilled skin: five long, black lines ran down her throat to her chest, where they stopped at small punctures. The flesh surrounding the lines and punctures was red and swollen, oozing a thick, dark green substance that seemed to hiss and bubble. Tiny red branches spread from her wounds, crawling up her face and over her chest. Sango knew youkai poison when she saw it.
 
Miroku lowered his head solemnly in prayer, two fingers held in front of his face. He too, had seen the effects of youkai poison, and it had never ended prettily.
 
Pulling a rag out of Kagome's bulging yellow backpack, Sango dipped the cloth in the water and dabbed at the wound, hissing and jerking her hand away as the poison ate at the cloth. Kagome did not stir.
 
“How could this happen?” the taijiya's broken question rasped in her throat as she struggled against tears.
 
“It is my poison, but it does not seem deliberate,” Sesshomaru stated indifferently, though the banked fire in his eyes and gentle hand he placed on Rin's shoulder betrayed him. The child leaned into him, having gathered up the hysterical kitsune and rocking him slowly.
 
Truly, it was a marvel that the miko had lasted this long; most humans would have died within an hour, even with superficial scratches such as these. That she lived was a testament to the power that lay within her. Again, he cursed his brother's blindness and stupidity to treat such a one with carelessness, though he was beginning to understand that she was not only the source of his brother's strength, but the binding that held together their motley group.
 
“But that's impossible! Inuyasha would never hurt Kagome,” Sango shook her head frantically, as if denying the obvious would somehow make it not true.
 
Sesshomaru raised a black eyebrow into silver bangs, “Do you imply that I don't know the scent of my own poison, human?”
 
“Even you aren't infallible, you pompous-“
 
Miroku broke in quickly, “Lady Sango, help me find Kagome's medicine box. There must be something in there that can counter-act the poison.”
 
Sesshomaru fixed him with a disdainful eye. “She will die. No human can survive my poison.” Rin jerked slightly under his hand and he almost flinched, his callous words ringing in his ears. Or maybe it was the sound of the kitsune's caterwauling.
 
 
“Sango, the jewel…” Miroku leaned down and brushed his fingertips over a thin welt that traced around Kagome's neck but did not seem to be infected, the imprint of tiny links still visible in the skin.
 
Cursing under her breath, Sango slipped a finger under the girl's collar, hoping to find the chain on which she'd strung the Shikon no Tama. “He took he jewel? I don't understand.” Sango stared up at Miroku with misty eyes, her faced lined with worry.
 
“Neither do I, Lady Sango, but I think we must assume that Inuyasha is not in his right mind. We must find help for her, and quickly.”
 
XxxxxxxxX
 
Running with smooth, long strides down the rocky path that branched from the main road and away from the Yama-dera monastery, Sesshomaru wondered which god he had angered to suffer such indignity. To think that this Sesshomaru could be reduced to a packhorse for a human… well, it was unthinkable. His lip twisted without his permission as the girl on his back moaned softly in her delirium and he reflexively softened his knees so that his steps would not jar her.
 
All of the humans rode a youkai: Miroku and Shippo on Kirara, Rin and Sango on Ah-Un. They had insisted that he carry Kagome, citing a multitude of ridiculous reasons, but it had been Rin's puffy red eyes, of course, that had sealed the deal. However, it wasn't as unpleasant as he'd first imagined; his back had fully healed and she was as light as she was small. In fact, her warm form pressed against his back, deceivingly hard muscles tensing in the throws of infection, soft curves molding to his body, felt unnervingly comfortable.
 
“I see lights up ahead,” Miroku called out, pointing forward with his staff. Kirara roared and churned the air with her fiery paws, gaining speed. Following obediently, Ah-Un picked up his pace, leaving Sesshomaru in the proverbial dust. Launching into a flying leap, Sesshomaru scowled inwardly. A race against time, yes, but in the end, it would all be for nothing.
 
Miroku landed first, rousing the last of the late-sleepers with his shouts for the village miko, Ah-Un close behind him. Rapidly approaching middle age, the miko strode toward the ruckus as Sesshomaru trotted toward the group, steadying Kagome with strong arms under her thighs.
 
“Who are you and why do you bring youkai into our village?” she asked sternly, bow and arrows held at the ready. Black hair shot with gray and pulled back into a long tail, she stood with her back straight, spiritual power snapping in her dark eyes.
 
“We beg your forgiveness, Lady, but our friend has been poisoned and does not have much time. We seek aid and your healing arts,” Miroku bowed low. Terse whispers punctuated with angry shouts rippled through the quickly growing crowd.
 
“Please! These youkai are friends and won't hurt you! Will you help us?” Sango extended her hands in entreaty, pleading with the hard-eyed miko.
 
Frowning for several long moments, she finally relented. “Show me your friend.”
 
Sesshomaru stepped forward; shifting the girl from his back to his arms so that the deadly spread of the toxin was easily seen. The miko gasped and recoiled reflexively, eyes straying to Sesshomaru's dog-ears to Ah-Un and the kitsune cradled in the arms of Rin, to Kirara's cat form. She'd heard of an odd group of companions who traveled the land collecting jewel shards and destroying evil youkai. One member of the group was rumored to be a powerful miko, she recalled, and cautiously approached the sick girl. Reaching out with her aura, she probed the girl and confirmed her suspicions.
 
“You, monk, take the girl and follow me,” she snapped, “though there isn't much that can be done.” Sesshomaru transferred the girl to Miroku's arms and watched as the small group tailed the miko into her hut. Shippo scampered after them, leaping onto Sango's shoulder just before she disappeared behind the rice mat covering the entrance.
 
Rin slid off of Ah-Un's back, sniffling loudly. “Sesshomaru-sama, please don't let Kagome-sama die. Rin has Sesshomaru-sama but Shippo would have no one.”
 
“Why do you care, Rin?” he asked, genuinely curious.
 
The girl dropped her head, pondering the questing while twisting her fingers into a knot, a habit she'd picked up from the miko dying in yonder hut. After a long moment, she answered, “Because Shippo is Rin's friend… and Kagome-sama was kind to Rin.” Her hands stilled and she whispered softly to herself, though Sesshomaru's ears were still able to hear it: “She was kind to me.”
 
Sesshomaru stared down at his young charge, seeing in her soft brown eyes the shadow of her parents' deaths. Why was she with him? He had not been kind when they met, he injured and immobile, she a mute urchin trying to nurse him to health with mushrooms and river trout. How many faceless humans had he killed over the centuries, never giving a second thought to their petty lives; such considerations were beneath him. Yet, the wants and well being of one little human girl could move him.
 
It was Rin who had gotten him into this; if he'd killed the dragon, as he should have, his brother's foolish wish would not have been made. He would have to refuse the girl this request. He steeled himself for her disappointment, readying an explanation for why the little miko was beyond help.
 
“I won't let her die, Rin,” came out instead. He blinked, opening his mouth as if to retract the words, but there was no unsaying them. The sudden light that gleamed from Rin's upturned face, the shine of hope and joy in her eyes, the sparkle of her teeth bared in a brilliant grin made his heart lurch. Had he been immune to that smile as himself? No, he decided, but it was the human blood that prompted these physical reactions. Would he ever be able to look at her again in the same cold light when returned to his own body? He had his doubts and realized with a start that he didn't want to.
 
Her smile… it was too fleeting a thing to take for granted; would be dust in a short span of years. Kagome's smile was just as bright, reflecting in her eyes and glowing from her soul. He'd never before met a human who loved so freely or accepted human, hanyou, and youkai on equal terms. She had crawled under his skin when he'd been at his most vulnerable, he mused, but couldn't bring himself to mind.
 
Settling a hand on dark head of his ward, he nodded once and headed toward the hut and the hushed, tense voices.
 
Through the gap between the woven door covering and the doorframe, Kagome was visible lying on crude mat and covered with an old kimono. Her skin was graying, deep shadows smudged around her eyes and under he cheekbones, her raven hair limp, dull, and damp with sweat. Black fingers of poisoned blood were creeping over her cheeks, wicked vines rooting and burrowing into the life that fought so valiantly against their grasp. Her heart fluttered weakly against her ribcage, too fast and irregular. He could almost feel the soft patter of her heartbeat against his hand like the broken wings of a bird…
 
He'd been young, but not too young to know that might was right and life was cruel, even for royalty. His mother was dead, murdered in a fit of jealousy by her consort, who had promptly been disemboweled by his grieving father. Ignored and forgotten, he had retreated into himself, preferring to spend time alone in the garden than amongst the fury and despair of the court, or, worse yet, the pitying looks of the servants.
 
Wrapped in his despondency, he hadn't noticed the sharp tang of blood until it was almost upon him, falling from the sky and landing in his upturned hand. A torn, broken bundle of feathers, it shuddered and twitched, its wings tickling the skin of his palm in its macabre dance with death. He'd watched it struggle against twisted wings, its tiny beak opening wide to gasp in each breath, beady black eyes glassy with pain, and he'd known that he could easily end its suffering, simply by closing his hand. Instead, he'd let death run its course, forced himself to stared impassively as the thrashing grew less in earnest and the pauses where it lay still grew longer until finally it just… died.
 
As image of the dead bird superimposed itself on Kagome, a cold, sharp blade began to twist in his stomach, a feeling he hardly remembered and didn't dare name. Miko or not, her human frailty was getting the better of her and she would die just as painfully as the bird, just as meaninglessly as his mother. He didn't want that to happen.
 
There was a slim chance she could be saved, but only if his half-brother had inherited the poison antidote from their father. Inuyasha was not a poison bearing youkai, but his claws and blood did have magical properties. It was not inconceivable. What was unbelievable was that he'd consider attempting this with a female that did not belong to him and a human, no less.
 
Pushing aside the mat that covered the entrance, Sesshomaru stepped into the crude little structure, suppressing the distaste he felt for his surroundings. ”My, how the mighty have fallen,' he thought to himself, his narrowed eyes scanning over the single room, rough wooden floor, and rice straw pallet that served as the miko's bed.
 
The miko scowled up at him, speaking quietly but sternly, “Demon, you were not given permission to enter.”
 
“This Sesshomaru does not need your permission, human.” Only his eyes moved, sliding over to capture her in twin pools of cold flame. She blanched but held her ground, though her next comment was cut off my Miroku, trying to mollify both demon lord and miko.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama, we are a guest in this village and I'm sure that Lady Akina did not intend insult.”
 
The monk was right; they were guests, which meant that he could not kill the insolent human outright. However, if ever they were to meet outside the village, he would show her just how little he needed her permission with the business end of Tetsusaiga.
 
Sango shivered when she felt the flare of his demonic aura, saw his ears twitch and his fingers crawl to the hilt of his sword. She knew that stance; Inuyasha got twitchy like that whenever he was contemplating injury on someone. Clearing her throat nervously, she broke the mounting tension. “Was there something you wanted, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
His body jerked and she took the full brunt of his gaze. `Almost like being hit with my own weapon,' she mused, maintaining eye contact only by grace of long years of training and battle.
 
“I am taking the miko,” he stated, the fire in his molten gold eyes abruptly banked. “Not you, human,” he snapped at the Akina's outraged gasp.
 
“You're not taking her anywhere! She needs medical attention.” Sango shot to her feet.
 
“Which is exactly what she will receive; the only thing that may possibly spare her life and even that is not a sure thing.”
 
Sango gave him a narrow, suspicious look. “You said that no human could survive your poison.”
 
He stifled a sigh; what the human did not realize, and probably had no way of knowing, was that this kind of `medical attention' was usually only shared between mates but he was not inclined to go into details. “There is a slight possibility that she can be saved, but it requires privacy.”
 
“What does that mean?”
 
“If you waste time arguing, then her death will be on your head.”
 
“What is it to you? You don't care if she dies!”
 
“The life of a mortal does not concern this Sesshomaru. I am simply returning a favor.” Without further ado, he lifted the girl into his arms, kimono and all, and strode out of the hut. He was airborne moments later, his eyes searching for a suitable place.
 
XxxxxxxxX
 
“What ails you, Inuyasha?” Kikyou asked quietly, sensing the tension in his body as she leaned against his chest, his arm stiff around her shoulders.
 
“Nothing,” he lied quickly, though he couldn't get the image of Kagome with Sesshomaru out of his mind. What had he done to her? Why had she let him? His imagination played out several scenarios of the two in each other's arms, each more ridiculous than the last, but they tormented the beast that clawed at his insides and chewed on his heart. It was so much worse than when she'd defended Kouga for the first time; that she'd seek comfort from his brother, the man he despised almost as much as Naraku, was a slap in the face.
 
`How is what you're doing any different than what she did?' he conscience nagged at him, its insidious voice momentarily overriding that of his jealousy.
 
`It's totally different!'
 
`How?'
 
`It's… it's Kikyou,' he argued silently, tightening his arm around the undead miko and resting his chin on the top of her head. He ignored the unconvinced grunt of his conscience, wishing it would shut up and leave him alone.
 
“I should be getting back to the others,” he said finally, pulling away from her.
 
Kikyou frowned, warily taking a step away form him, her hand wrapping around the Shikon no Tama hanging from her neck on its silver chain. “Are you so eager to return to my reincarnation?”
 
“No! I just…” want to keep an eye on my brother, make sure he keeps his filthy hands off of Kagome. Hell if was going to say that to Kikyou. “…I've been gone awhile. I need to tell them why I took it.” He gestured to the jewel that Kikyou still grasped as if it were a lifeline.
 
She cocked her head, her eyes narrowing as a calculating expression claimed her cold features. “She gave it to you willingly without knowing why?” she asked, knowing by his uncomfortable squirm that it wasn't the case. She really couldn't have planned this any better; the hanyou had sealed his fate with his own actions. “Inuyasha, do you think they will welcome you after you stole the jewel and come back empty-handed?”
 
“Keh. Of course they will-“
 
“You are youkai, hated and distrusted by humans. Those you call friends will easily become your enemies, simply because you are not like them. They will never trust you like they trust each other.”
 
“Kagome trusts me!”
 
Was he really this dense or was this show of loyalty a way for him to deny reality? Either way, it was annoying. “And when you tell her to whom you have given the jewel?”
 
He shook his head, “You underestimate my friends, Kikyou.”
 
He really was that dense. Her next shot was low and dirty, aiming for vital organs. “I see: your promises to me mean less than to you than your promises to her. I mean less, I who died for you.” He tried to interrupt, but she cut him with a wave of her hand. “If that is the case, then go.” She turned her back on him and had taken two steps away when his arm wrapped around her shoulders.
 
“No, Kikyou, I'm sorry. You were first, you'll always be first.” He buried his nose in her hair, blocking from his mind the musty, ever present odor of clay that clung to her.
 
`Liar', his inner voice spoke up.
 
`I'm not lying, Kikyou was first.'
 
`But what about Kagome?'
 
Inuyasha couldn't answer. Can't I have them both? He'd once asked Miroku. The answer was the same now as it had been then: no, he would have to choose. How could he do that, though? It wasn't even fair to ask it of him. His heart belonged to both in different ways; he knew that a future with Kikyou was limited but she had died for him! He couldn't ignore that! And Kagome lived for him, loved him…
 
“Inuyasha, will you come with me to restore the jewel?” she asked, knowing that she'd won for now. He may change his mind later, but it would be too late; he would be hers and Kagome would no longer be competition. She moved into him, splaying her fingers against his armored chest.
 
He nodded slowly, his eyes never straying from her face. She looked so lost, so fragile; he couldn't leave her alone to do such a dangerous task, and when the jewel was returned to full power, she would be a target for any and all youkai in the area. He would protect her once again, the maiden of the jewel, as he had over fifty years ago. Now he was glad that he had taken his brother's swords; he'd done it on a spiteful whim, amazed by how oblivious his human friends had been to his presence. He'd need them.
 
Kagome would understand. When he came back and explained why he'd taken the jewel and disappeared, she would forgive him.