InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Chapter 41: A Common Foe ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 41

A/N: It’s great to be back! Sorry for the extended absence but life has been interesting of late. My computer started crashing on a regular basis and wouldn’t let me save my work to disk. I finally got a new computer so I can start writing again! yeah!! I have a daughter graduating from high school, so there are many distractions involved there. I was in a wreck. No major injuries, but I found out that the roof of my truck doesn’t feel good when it impacts the top of my head! Ended up with a three day headache, probably not much different than a bad hangover. (Wouldn’t know, never been drunk.) I’m a little bummed. I watched Inuyasha 3 and found out that he is about 200 years old. Granted, my storyline isn’t strictly canon, but this revelation blows my idea out of the water. sigh Oh, well…. Now, on to the story. As usual, I don’t own Inuyasha. Of course, all bets are off if I win the lottery.

“TAKARA!”

The echoes of Sesshoumaru’s scream died away as he stared at the spot where Kagura had disappeared with the beautiful hanyou. A growl begun deep in his chest and built as his rage built. He could feel his face begin to lengthen as his transformation into his true demonic form began.

“Lord Sesshoumaru?” came a small voice from his side.

He felt his rage and his transformation retreat as his eyes snapped to the source of the voice. Rin had come running after him as he had tried to stop Kagura from taking Takara. She had stopped beside him and was looking at him with concern in her eyes.

“Are you alright, milord?”

Sesshoumaru took a deep breath and returned his gaze to the distance that had swallowed Kagura’s feather. “I am unhurt, Rin.”

“But you’re unhappy and angry.”

Sesshoumaru glanced at his adopted daughter and quirked an eyebrow. The child had always been sensitive to his feelings.

“I must follow them.” ‘I have to get Takara back.’ was his unspoken thought.

“Why did the lady take Takara? I thought she was our friend. Was she jealous? She wanted you to be her boyfriend, didn‘t she?”

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow again. “It is more complex than that.”

Rin sighed and rolled her eyes. “Grownups!” she muttered.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Sesshoumaru almost smiled at the child. A groan startled him out of his amusement. He turned to see one of the soldiers that he had revived begin to try and sit up. Swiftly, he did something that he rarely did. He bent and gathered Rin up in his arm. “It is not safe for you here. I must take you to safety before I can recover Takara.” Inwardly fretting over the delay and wishing for someway to insure the girl’s safety, he had not even made it to the edge of the field when the wind brought the scent of an answer to his nose. Moments later, Inuyasha, with Jaken on his back, and Inutaro came out of the forest and made a bee line to him as soon as they saw him.

“Where is my sister?” bellowed Inutaro, as he skidded to stop in front of Sesshoumaru. He began to draw his sword. “Tell me!”

He suddenly found himself on the ground, pinned by a very angry taiyoukai. Sesshoumaru had dropped Rin and launched himself at the young hanyou before Inuyasha could react. “DO NOT question me about my mate as if I would harm her! She has been taken and I will get her back!”

“Mate!?” exclaimed Inuyasha. “You didn’t waste any time did you?”

Sesshoumaru turned his head and glared at his brother with a growl. “That is not your concern.” He stood, removing his hand from Inutaro’s throat. “It is just as well that you are here. Kagura has taken Takara to her master. He will probably use her as a hostage against my helping you to defeat him.” Something in the look that passed between Inuyasha and the toad demon that had hopped off Inuyasha’s back made the taiyoukai uneasy. “There is something that you know that is cause for concern?”

Inuyasha drew a deep breath. “Aniki.” he began.

Sesshoumaru grew cold. He knew that there was no way that Inuyasha would call him that unless it was dire news.

“I have something to tell you that is difficult.” continued Inuyasha. “Jaken told us of your mate and her fate.”

Sesshoumaru turned a cold glare at his vassal. Jaken shrank beneath that cold gaze. “I’m sorry, my lord. Please forgive me.”

“Sesshoumaru!” Inuyasha called out to get his brother’s attention. “Aniki, I’m sorry but I have to tell you that Onigumo is still alive.”

Sesshoumaru’s eyes widened in shock. “That is not possible.” he declared in a flat voice. “He could not still be alive.”

“He’s very much alive.” spat Inuyasha, in a hate filled voice. “You’ve met him.”

“Impossible!”

“Aniki, he made a deal with a horde of demons and became Naraku.”

Sesshoumaru became a statue. He did not blink. He did not breath. He made no move of any type that you could see, until Inuyasha noticed the blood and venom dripping from his clenched hand. Without warning, he began to laugh.

Inuyasha knew his stoic brother well enough that Sesshoumaru’s first reaction was not unexpected. His second reaction caught him off guard. There was no joy in that laugh. It was cold, bitter, almost maniacal in its intensity as it started out low and built until he threw his head back in a full throated scream of agony and rage.

Jaken cowered behind Inuyasha. He feared that his lord had lost his sanity. “My lord, please!” he whispered, begging his lord and master to fight off the insanity.

The scream died out and left Sesshoumaru panting. Slowly he brought his head back down until he was leveling his eyes with Inuyasha’s. Something unspoken traveled between the brothers, neither knowing exactly what. Was it sympathy, empathy, or some other type of emotion that only family can share in a time of grief? Even they didn’t know, only that it was something. Sesshoumaru nodded to his brother. “My thanks, outoto. This Sesshoumaru is in your debt.”

Inuyasha’s eyes widened in shock. That was the last term he ever expected to be called by his brother.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes went to the toad demon who had come out from behind Inuyasha. “Jaken. You are to take Rin to safety. Take her back to Lord Tanaka’s.” His eyes turned once more to the direction that Kagura had been going. “It is time to finish this, once and for all.”

“Now wait just one minute, Sesshoumaru!” protested Inuyasha. “I’ll admit that you have a claim on Naraku’s ass but so do the rest of my pack. We’ve hunted him too long to not be in on the kill.”

Sesshoumaru leveled a cold gaze at his brother. “I need no help in killing that filthy bastard.” he stated evenly. As Inuyasha looked ready to explode, he continued. “However, only a complete fool goes into battle with no allies. I will accept your help.” He pointed a finger at Inuyasha. “Know this, the killing blow is mine.”

Inuyasha merely looked at him and then drew Tessaiga. He tested the edge with his thumb. “Feh! I ain’t making any promises on that, Sesshoumaru. That bastard has gotten away too many times to pick who gets the last shot in.” He cocked an eyebrow at his brother. “You got any idea where that bastard is?”

Sesshoumaru turned his back to Inuyasha. “No, I do not. But these men that were following Kagura’s orders might.”

Inuyasha smirked. “I was wondering where all the bodies had come from. What happened?”

“That is not important at this time.” Sesshoumaru stated as he made his way towards one of the men who had just sat up with a groan. “Finding Naraku’s location is.” He bent and grabbed the groaning man by the throat. “You have died once today.” he said, as he pulled the man to his feet. “Unless you wish to do so again, you will tell me where Naraku is located.”

The soldier tried to stare into Sesshoumaru’s eyes in defiance, but the cold indifference in those eyes was more than he could handle. “I do not know this Naraku, demon!” he blustered.

Sesshoumaru’s grip on the man’s throat tightened. As the soldiers eyes began to bulge, Sesshoumaru growled. “I do not have time for your ignorance. Who sent you with the wind demoness, Kagura?”

“She was …. demon?” the man gasped out. “But … master not Naraku!”

Inuyasha stepped up beside his brother. “Naraku probably possessed some poor sap and now these soldiers think that they are following the orders of their lord.”

“No!” came the strangled protest from the soldier. “I know …. Lord. Can’t be!”

Sesshoumaru tilted his head to the side. “You do not sound convinced that he is not possessed. Tell us who your lord is, if you value your life.”

The soldier summoned up the courage to look into Sesshoumaru’s eyes. “My life is my lord’s.” he gasped. “I will not betray him.”

Sesshoumaru’s eyes narrowed in anger and he began to crush the mans throat. A hand on his arm stopped him. “You dare to interrupt?” he snarled at his brother.

“Feh! Killing him won’t get us anywhere.” He looked at the soldier who was beginning to turn blue. “Look, you don’t want to serve a bastard like Naraku. He has no honor and that would taint your own. Tell us who your lord is and where he is located and we will check him out. If he is Naraku, we’ll kill him. If he isn’t, we’ll leave him alone. Fair enough.”

Sesshoumaru loosened his grip enough for the man to regain his breath and speak. “How do I know that I can trust you, hanyou?”

Before Inuyasha could reply, Sesshoumaru shook the man. “This hanyou is the second son of the great Inutaisho. He does not lie.”

The soldier digested this information and came to a decision. “You swear not to harm my lord if he is not this Naraku you seek?”

“Hai.”

“Then his name is Lord Kagowaki. His castle is north of here.”

Sesshoumaru unceremoniously dropped the man. “Kagura took Takara in that direction, as well.” He glared at Jaken. “You have your orders, Jaken.”

“Hai, my lord.” Jaken put an arm around Rin. “Come Rin.”

Inuyasha looked at Inutaro. “Go with them. Keep them safe.”

“I want to rescue my sister.” protested Inutaro.

“You will do as I say!“ ordered Inuyasha. “Do you know where this Lord Kagowaki lives?”

“Hai.”

“Then get the others. Come to the castle. They need to be there for our revenge.” He sighed. “I would tell you to leave Kagome behind but she won’t stay.”

Inutaro turned, picked up Jaken and Rin, and took off.

“Put your hand on my shoulder.” Sesshoumaru ordered Inuyasha. When Inuyasha had done so Sesshoumaru exerted his will and took flight. ’I’m coming, Takara.’

A/N: Ye, gods! That took forever! Okay, I know that this is not up to standard but the next one will be. By the way, thanks to all the people who took time to review this story while I have been away. Also, thank you to the people who have read and reviewed the two one-shots that I posted in the last month. I’m glad that you enjoyed them. Next up is Naraku with Takara. So long, Fyrloche.