InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Chapter 43: Battle begins ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 43

A/N: Hi guys! Sorry for the long delay but life has been happening in a big way. Tons of work, a daughter starting college, a car wreck: life has been hectic. And it doesn’t help that this new computer I have has decided to be glitchy (or bitchy, you chose the adjective). Plus, I’ve been having writer’s block. sigh I know where I want to go but I am having trouble getting there. I love writing but sometimes it can be such a royal pain in the butt. I’ll admit it; there are times that I almost wish that I had never started. Keyword - almost! Fortunately, you guys make it worth the time and effort. Now, on to my version of the Inuyasha universe. (Rumiko Takahashi has knocked everything out of whack since I started this story, so now it is almost AU. But it’s MY AU! HAHAHAHAHA!) And, as usual, she still owns it and isn’t returning the phone calls on offers to buy.

Interlude

Inutaro’s frustration mounted as he ran. He desperately wished to follow his father and uncle to help save his sister. But, he had been given a direct order by his father who he had promised to obey.

“I don’t know why my lord didn’t take me with him instead of that hanyou.”

Inutaro winced at the sound of THAT voice. IT didn’t help his frustration in the least. ‘Gods, father! I can understand getting the girl to safety.’ He glanced down at the girl in his arms. ‘But, why did you and Uncle saddle me with…’

“Can’t you go any faster?”

‘…this whining toad!’ He growled at the annoyance on his back. “If you think you can go any faster, feel free to get off!” Inutaro looked down at the road and doubled his effort at more speed. ‘The sooner I get there, the sooner I can get rid of him and go after Takara!’

Suddenly, he heard a noise that brought him up short in the road. ‘Horses galloping this direction.’ He knelt and put Rin on the ground and let Jaken clamber off his back. “Stay behind me!”

Jaken opened his mouth to protest, but the words died in his throat as a dozen horsemen came around a curve in the road. He quickly grounded his staff and prepared to defend Rin if the horsemen got past Inutaro.

Inutaro stepped out in front of the girl and the toad, giving himself distance to move when the wind hit him in the face. His face lit up in a wide grin as he lifted his hand in greeting. “Daremo!” he bellowed, just before Kirara nearly landed in his lap.

“Damn!” he swore, as he leapt backwards. He had his sword half drawn in surprise before he realized whom it was who startled him. Breathing hard, he glared at the firecat who seemed to be grinning at him. “You did that on purpose.” he accused.

“Inutaro!” Kagome called his name as she leapt from Kirara’s back. “You’ve got Rin. But, where’s Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru, and Takara?”

“Indeed,” stated Miroku, as he and Sango dismounted Kirara. “Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru are not fighting, are they?”

Inutaro only shook his head no as he waited until everyone had gathered around so that he would only have to tell his story once. “Takara was taken from Lord Sesshoumaru by some woman named Kagura. “ He noted the quick intake of breath from Kagome, Sango, and Miroku. “Inuyasha and Lord Sesshoumaru have gone after her to get her back. They sent me back to Lord Tanaka’s with Rin and Jaken to keep Rin safe. I am then to guide you to where Kagura has gone so that you can face Naraku.”

“They know where he is!?” The group said in startled unison.

“How did they get that information?” Sango questioned.

Inutaro smirked. “Lord Sesshoumaru was most persuasive towards one of the bodyguards that the demoness Kagura left behind.”

Miroku rubbed the back of his neck as he smiled grimly. “Yes,” he said, “I can believe that.”

“Now that I’ve found you, I can send Rin and Jaken on with two of Daremo’s men and then we can go to meet Lord Sesshoumaru and father.”

Jaken began sputtering. “B, b,b,but I wish to return to my Lord’s side. He will want his most trusted vassal with him.”

Inutaro took a certain amount of pleasure in his next words. “Your Lord ordered you to stay with the girl, Rin. Do you really want to disobey him?”

Jaken paled. “N,n,n,no! Of course not!” Jaken turned back to walk over to Rin’s side. “Why do I always get baby sitting duty?” he whined, in self pity as everyone else sighed in relief that they were not going to have to put up with the little toad demon.

Daremo motioned for two of his men to join the diminutive demon and the girl. “Keep them safe. Escort them back to Lord Tanaka.” The two men nodded and rode over to their charges, each leaning over and giving them a hand up to be seated behind them.

As they set out, Rin squealed happily. Jaken was not so enthusiastic. “I still hate horses,” he groaned as they passed over the hill and out of sight.

Inutaro paused just long enough to make sure that his duty had been fulfilled. Quickly, he turned and set off in that leaping run that characterized his father’s way of travel. “Hurry!” he called over his shoulder. “Follow me!”

The others quickly remounted. “After him, Kirara!” Sango shouted as they leapt into the air.

Daremo motioned for his remaining men to follow the quickly moving hanyou and firecat.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 8888888888888888888888888888

Sesshoumaru scanned the courtyard, watching all of Naraku’s forces as they gathered for their attack. Quickly, he made a decision. Before Inuyasha knew what was happening, Sesshoumaru reached over his shoulder with his muzzle and grabbed Inuyasha’s firerat hakama, then snapped his head around and flung Inuyasha at the roof of the building that Naraku had just come out of! ‘Find Takara!’ was all he growled before launching himself at his enemies.

Inuyasha flipped himself in mid-air to land feet first on the roof of the building. “Damn you, Sesshoumaru!” he shouted, as he prepared himself to leap into battle at his brothers side.

Sesshoumaru looked up from where he had bitten one of the ookami in half. ‘No, brother!’ he growled as he spun in place, dislodging some of the wolf demons that had leapt onto his back. ‘Find my mate!’

Inuyasha gave a fierce growl of his own and then swung Tessaiga at the roof beneath his feet to make a hole. With one last look at his brother, he dropped down into the darkness below.

Sesshoumaru grinned a savage dog’s grin as he gave his full attention to the annoyances that were attacking him. Spinning with surprising agility for a three legged dog, he threw more of the wolves from his back and sides. Since Inuyasha was safe in the building, Sesshoumaru let his poison saliva build and started drooling it over his enemies. Several barely had time to scream before it dissolved them. ‘This will soon be over.’ he thought with satisfaction as the drool started to become a cloud of poison fog.

The fog barely had time to begin its work before a sudden gust of wind dissipated it.

“Now, now, my lord!” came a mocking voice from overhead. Kagura floated into view. “You didn’t think that we would make it that easy for you, now did you?” She brought her fan up and snapped it downward. “Dance of the dragons!”

Sesshoumaru moved to dodge the multiple whirlwinds coming at him. This was one of the disadvantages to this form. While it had great power and offensive capability, it was handicapped by its size. As with anything, the larger the size, the better the target. And, unfortunately, he was just too big a target. The whirlwinds blasted him into the air to land on his side, skidding for many yards, destroying some of the remaining buildings.

The ookami quickly took advantage of this and swarmed over him, biting and clawing. Kana wasted no time in sending her controlled soldiers into the fray as well, hacking and slashing at the downed inuyoukai.

Naraku smiled as he watched his minions flow over the demon lord. Soon the great Sesshoumaru would be a part of him and nothing would stand in his way.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 888888888888888888888888

Inuyasha made his way down into the darkness. Naraku’s stench filled his nose as he tracked Takara’s scent making him want to gag. “Can’t smell anything!” he complained aloud. “Gods, Naraku stinks!” Still, he could barely make out Takara’s scent and was slowly following it. Suddenly her scent became very strong just outside a heavy door. “Takara?” he called questioningly as he paused outside the door.

From inside he heard a muffled “Inuyasha?” and then a stronger scream of “Inuyasha! Help me!”

That was all he needed to hear. He flexed his claws. “Sankontessou!” The door shattered under his attack. He rushed into the room to be greeted with the sight of Takara shackled to the far wall. “Takara!” he shouted, and then noticed the state of undress that she was in. He reddened and quickly averted his gaze. “Let’s get you out of here. Sesshoumaru might need my help.” He slashed the bonds holding her arms and then shrugged out of his firerat top. “Here.”

Takara took the top gratefully. “Thank you, Inuyasha. Let’s get out of here. I want to see Sesshoumaru.”

Inuyasha nodded and started to turn when he heard a whisper of sound behind him, just before he felt a sharp pain in his back and saw the point of Kohaku’s chain sickle come out of his upper chest below his left shoulder. As he fell to his knees, he felt Kohaku yank on the chain and retrieve his weapon. Driven by instinct, he dived to one side just in time to avoid most of the downward slash by Kohaku. Most, but not all. The blade cut down between Inuyasha and Tessaiga, removing the sword from its master. Inuyasha landed heavily on his back, griping his shoulder. Kohaku appeared from out of nowhere to stand over him with that dead look on his face. He lifted his chain sickle with no emotion.

“Inuyasha!” was all Takara had time to scream before the blade descended.

A/N: Aahhh! The sweet sound of people screaming in frustration, music to my ears. laughs maniacally Let loose the hounds of war! Just wait, the next chapter is going to be even better. Sorry that this one took so long. I developed severe writers block over the first part of this chapter. I considered leaving it out, but felt that it was needed to explain the quick appearance of the rest of the gang. The next chapter will be done sometime in the next 3 weeks since I have been planning this battle for over a year now. I’m going to do a chapter of ‘Catalyst’ before I write out the battle. Just remember, good things come to those who wait. Later, Fyrloche.