InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reunion ❯ Chapter 45: Battles end ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 45

A/N: Hi. Sorry to be gone so long, but I have had a LOT of emotional struggles going on in my life and I have not been able to concentrate on this, or any other, story. Long story short: my wife went through a breast cancer scare. Multiple mammograms, sonograms, and a biopsy later resulted in a benign fibrous tumor. Very nerve wrecking. But, she is fine and I’m back. Now, to end this battle.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes were fixated on the woman in the inuyoukai’s jaws. He watched, not breathing as the large akita lowered its head, dropped the woman on the ground, and then butted her with its muzzle. The growl of rage that had begun to build up suddenly stilled as the woman stood and gently patted the inu on the side of its muzzle before turning and running towards Sesshoumaru. The taiyoukai leapt forward to put himself between Takara and both Naraku and the inu youkai. He sniffed to identify this newcomer, unwilling to believe the obvious.

Kagome had no such problems. “Inuyasha!” she screamed as she ran towards the giant akita, fearing that he has been lost to his youkai while marveling at this transformation. She never imagined that he could become a full inuyoukai like Sesshoumaru. She skidded to a stop when he turned to look at her and growled softly.

“Stay back!” came the guttural command from the inu youkai, shocking her with the realization that his mind was still in control. He turned his attention back to the motionless spider. “Time to die, Naraku!”

Naraku was in a state of shock. He had held back when the new inuyoukai had arrived with Takara in its jaws, thinking that Sesshoumaru would turn his attention to this new youkai that had apparently slain his mate. Like the spider he was, he was going to wait until the right moment to attack and subdue the taiyoukai so that he could absorb him at his leisure. The development that Takara was still alive was bad enough, but to discover that this new youkai was Inuyasha was unbelievable --- and unsettling. Naraku watched as the younger inuyoukai laid back his ears and went into a stalking crouch with his tail sticking out straight behind him and his fangs bared in a snarl. He realized that a larger and more experienced inuyoukai was beginning the same kind of dance on the opposite side of him. His wide set, multiple eyes gave him excellent peripheral vision. This allowed him to maneuver so that he was always exactly between his opponents and could watch them both, but that was about all the advantage that he had. He skittered back and forth, turning slightly more towards one and then the other. His enemies were beginning to harass him from one side, then the other, darting in and snapping at his legs.

The first arrow decided him. Kagome shot at him and scored a hit on his body, blowing out a large chunk. It missed his head only because he had turned to snap at Sesshoumaru who had bitten at one of his legs. He knew that he would not be so lucky again. ‘That damned miko is too good a shot now!’ he thought. Desperate times called for desperate measures. Quickly, he drew a deep breath and expelled a large cloud of miasma. Using the cloud as cover, he dove at the more inexperienced fighter, attempting to sink his fangs into Inuyasha. He didn’t get in the bite but he did mange to bowl Inuyasha off his feet.

With a yelp, Inuyasha turned the fall into a roll, coming to his feet with a snarl. He leapt at his hated enemy, landing on Naraku’s back and sinking his fangs to the root where the head joined the body. With his jaws locked in a firm bite, Inuyasha began to shake his head back and forth violently, trying to rip the head off.

Sesshoumaru used the distraction to attack the spider relatively unopposed. Caught up in his rage, he would crush a leg in his powerful jaws and then give a hard jerk to rip it loose from the body.

Sango would not be denied. She swept in on the right side, urging Kirara in closer as she swept off the legs from that side with Hiraikotsu.

Miroku, who was riding behind Sango to help provide cover, peppered Naraku’s body with sutras as they passed.

Daremo and his men decided that it would be wiser to stay back and let those who were best qualified to fight demons do their job. They did decide to remain close to the Lady Kagome to provide her with cover in case any of Naraku’s minions decided to go after her.

Ginta and Hakkaku were standing guard over Takara who was trying to treat a struggling Inutaro. He was ignoring his wound and trying to get back into the battle. She was having none of it. “Quit that! I’m not going to let you up!”

“I’ve got to help them!” protested Inutaro.

“You’ve got to lie still!” Takara ordered. “Taro, you’re wounded and I’m not letting you fight unless there is no other choice.” She looked over at the combatants, watching her lord with pride. “Besides, they look like they’re handling things.”

The object of her pride was preparing to join his brother on the back of the giant spider so that they could rend it apart. Naraku had other ideas. Before Sesshoumaru could move, tentacles shot out of the stubs of Naraku’s legs to wrap around the taiyoukai. At the same time, the spiders back suddenly softened and gave way to the mass of the younger inuyoukai that was on it. Tendrils of flesh leapt up to ensnare Inuyasha as the spider’s form dissolved into a cancerous looking blob. A large projection appeared between the brothers, taking on the form of Naraku’s head and upper torso.

Naraku laughed and began to gloat. “The two of you should have known better than to match wits with me! Now both of you shall become a part of me, making me unstoppable!”

Sesshoumaru quickly growled at Inuyasha in inuyoukai so that Naraku wouldn’t understand him. “Transform and slip out of his tentacles!”

Inuyasha nodded his understanding and began to shrink rapidly, trying to loosen the grip that Naraku had on him. Sesshoumaru was doing the same. Both growled in frustration as the fleshy bonds tightened with them as they shrank. They lashed out with their claws, but the flesh kept regenerating itself as fast as they damaged it.

Naraku laughed at their efforts and began to pull against them to absorb them when a puzzled look came over his face just before his body exploded.

Kagome had poured her miko energy into that arrow, desperate to save Inuyasha. She fell to her knees, gasping with the effort that it had taken. Her spirits lifted to see her hanyou break free of Naraku, and then plummeted to see that she had not killed him.

Naraku’s head and upper chest were still intact and hovering above the shattered mess of his body. Kirara swept in with Sango and Miroku. Miroku threw sutras at the disembodied head that stopped short of their goal, hitting a barrier. “It’s no good!” he shouted. “He’s drawing on the Shikon to power his shield. I can’t get through!”

Unnoticed, a figure rose from the ground behind them.

Inuyasha reached for his Tessaiga, only to remember that he didn’t have it with him. It was still in the ruins of the dungeon that he had found Takara in. “Damn!” he roared. “We need the red Tessaiga!” He turned towards the ruin of the building to see a figure standing at the top of the rubble.

“Inuyasha!” the figure shouted. It lifted a sword above its head. “Take your Tessaiga and kill that bastard!” With that last word, Kohaku threw the sword with the last of his strength, collapsing as the Tessaiga spun through the air to be caught by the hilt by its master.

“Kohaku!” Sango screamed.

“Go on!” Miroku told Sango. “See to your brother. We’ll take care of Naraku!”

Sango nodded and guided Kirara down lower to the ground before swinging her leg over and dropping off to run to her brother’s side. Miroku quickly guided Kirara back up to get near Naraku.

Inuyasha twirled Tessaiga over his head, slinging off the scabbard and transforming the mighty fang. With a running leap, he launched himself at Naraku. “Red Tessaiga!” he screamed as he channeled all of his hatred and rage into the strike, shattering the barrier.

“Sesshoumaru! He’s yours!” With that shout, Inuyasha left the dark hanyou to his brother so that Sesshoumaru could claim his vengeance. He landed next to Kagome and scooped her up, holding her close as he turned to watch his brother.

The taiyoukai needed no urging. His eyes narrowed as he leapt at the creature that had caused him so much pain. Drawing back his hand, he summoned up his poison at the strongest that he could and thrust his claws through the face that he hated so much. For a moment, time seemed to stand still as Sesshoumaru’s poison began to dissolve the face of Naraku. Sesshoumaru almost smiled to see the look of agony that contorted what was left of that face. Inside the skull, something hard and mostly round brushed his hand. He quickly grasped the Shikon no Tama and tore it from Naraku. He turned his impassive gaze to Kirara and her passenger. “Finish it, monk.” he ordered flatly as he dropped to earth.

Miroku grimly unwrapped his hand. “Kazana!” he said softly, knowing that this would be the last time that he would ever use it. He pulled in the remains of Naraku before they had a chance to more than begin reforming. As the head entered the kazana, Miroku got a brief glimpse at the remaining eye of his hated enemy. The satisfaction of seeing the horror in that eye as it was swept to its fate helped him when the pain hit as the kazana closed.

Kirara heard his gasp as the pain began and decided that she needed to take him to her mistress. Quickly, she landed beside Sango, who was holding Kohaku’s head in her lap. Sango’s head spun to look at Miroku as he groaned in pain while holding his arm. “Miroku!” she called, her voice and visage anguished as she was torn between her brother and the monk.

Miroku all but fell off Kirara, sweating and holding his arm. “It’s alright, Sango.” he reassured her, through clenched teeth. “I will be alright. Stay with your brother.”

“But…” she started to protest.

“No buts, I’m fine.” He groaned as he leaned back against Kirara. He began to flex his hand. “See, the pain is subsiding.” Slowly, he unwrapped the sealing rosary from his hand and removed his glove, turning his palm towards his face. Slowly, he closed his hand into a fist, bowed his head, and said a prayer of thanksgiving. Then he raised his head, smiled, opened his hand, and turned his palm towards Sango. “I’m finally free.” he said softly.

Sango smiled through her tears and nodded before turning her attention back to her brother. Gently, she brushed a stray loche of hair from his forehead. “You’re finally free, too.” she whispered as she held him.

Sesshoumaru had long since landed and had watched the end of the murderer of his mate and pup. The two sides of his personality watched in silence until the last of Naraku had been devoured by the monk’s kazana. ‘You are avenged, my family.’ Emotion and Ration said together before fading out. Her scent came to him before her presence and then she was there, standing next to him. In silence, he put his arm around her and pulled her to him.

Takara looked up into his face and smiled. “My Lord,” she murmured.

Sesshoumaru looked into her eyes and, with a slight upturn of his lips, replied “My Lady” before bending his head to kiss her deeply. As the kiss broke, he softly growled. “Mate.”

Takara’s eyes were bright when she returned the growl, “Mate.”

“Aaahheemm!” came a voice from behind them that caused them both to turn. There was Inuyasha, grinning like an idiot, and Kagome, who had the decency to blush.

Sesshoumaru cocked his eyebrow at his brother. “You have something to say, little brother?”

If anything, Inuyasha’s grin got bigger. “Nope. Not a thing.” He cocked his head to the side. “As a matter of fact, I was thinking that you had a pretty good idea there.” And before Kagome could react, Inuyasha spun on her and brought her in for a kiss of their own.

Sesshoumaru smirked and actually chuckled a little. “Why, Inuyasha? I never thought that you would follow my example in anything.”

Inuyasha broke the kiss and scowled at his brother. “Don’t get used to it. We still have some issues between us.”

Kagome shook her head slightly to clear it from the affects of the kiss. “Please don’t start anything now. Naraku is gone and we have our lives back. Let‘s not get into another war.”

“Inuyasha is correct,” Sesshoumaru said. “We do have issues between us that need to be resolved.” He looked at his brother. “But I believe that we can resolve them. We have not been a family for too long.” Sesshoumaru enjoyed the look of surprise on Inuyasha’s face and decided to add to it. “I believe,” he said, holding out his hand towards Kagome, “that this belongs to you.” He dropped the Shikon no Tama into her hands.

Kagome held the jewel and stared at its blackness. Her brow furrowed in concentration and the jewel’s color shifted, becoming a lustrous pink. She blinked as she relaxed and then turned to Sesshoumaru. “Thank you, Lord Sesshoumaru.” She bowed.

“You are welcome….. Little sister.”

A/N: Finally done. I know that some of you are very irate with me. I understand completely and apologize for the long delay but Murphy has moved into my life and things have been very hectic. sigh That’s life for you. I tell you, it feels like I’m living in a soap opera or something. And it just goes to prove the old adage that truth is stranger than fiction. Later, Fyrloche.