InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Rock and Love ❯ Inside the Mind ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rock and Love

Chapter 4

Inside the Mind


those notes you wrote me

I've kept them all
I've given a lot of thought of how

To write you back this fall
with every single letter

And every single word
there will be a hidden message

About a boy who loves a girl

Boxcar Racer - There is

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Mama! Mama! I wanna be just like Daddy!" A seven-year-old Kagome cried while tugging on her mom's shirt.

"You do, do you? Well I bet you will be the best there ever was!" Her mother laughed back.

She looked over to her husband who was loading his amps, cords, and guitar into the back of his pick-up truck. Kagome and her pregnant mom stood there, watching him. He was done quick enough and returned to his wife and child.

"Kagome," He said kneeling down. "I want you to have this, it's been very lucky to me in the past, and I'm giving it to you for your future. It may become a use to you." He handed her a black guitar pick with initials in red on it. KH-Kai Higurashi, his own name.

"The initials stand for me, but they are much like yours. Think of it as your name, okay sweetie?" Kagome took the pick with big eyes and immediately jumped into her father.

"Fanks daddy! I love you!" She cried as she wrapped her arms around him.

"I love you too dear." He said into her smooth hair. She pulled back and faced her dad.

"I told mommy that I want to be just like you when I'm all growed up!" She said smiling brilliantly at him.

"That's great, and you'll be the best out there. You know why?" He asked poking her in the belly.

"Why daddy?" She giggled.

"Because you have my blood, the blood of a musician. No matter what anyone says you will always be talented."

"Yes daddy." He took in the beautiful smiling face of his younger daughter before he had to say goodbye. He kissed her on the forehead and gave her one last hug before he turned to his wife. Kagome let him go, seeing that he wanted to see his wife. He turned and faced her, as well as placing a hand on her large belly.

"I'm so sorry to do this to you it's just that-" He began, looking away from her stare.

"Shh…this is your dream and you will live it out. Our baby, whether it be a boy or a girl, will be waiting for you when you get back. Inside or out of me." She said with a laugh. She placed a kiss on his lips before giving him one of her smiles.

"Go and play your show. Show them who you are, and what you came to do." She said placing a hand on his face. He couldn't help but kiss his wife once more; she was just too much of an angel to be his. He leaned down and kissed her belly before giving them both each one last hug.

"Goodbye, I love you both." He said while turning away and heading to his truck. "I'll call you tonight!"

"Have fun dear!' Her mom called out before he waved to them and headed down the street.

"BYE DADDY!" Kagome yelled running down the stairs after him.

Soon a 7-year-old Kagome turned into a 14-year old girl, standing in her black pants, accompanied by a dark purple tank top. Her hair was straightened and she wore some black eye shadow to tint her lids. She was looking around her living room with a mischievous grin.

Then a boy came bounding into the room-Souta. He seemed around 6 or 7 judging by his height and lack of speech. He wore a big smile on his face and was headed straight for the couch, which was behind her. She watched him fly onto the couch, and then climb on her back. She opened her eyes wide before adjusting her scowl into a smile. She hooked her arms around the backs of his knees and started to jog around the living room, both laughing madly.

The phone rang, but neither of them seemed aware of it. Then Kagome's mom rushed out of the kitchen to answer it. She told them to stop running around before they broke something, and right away they planted themselves on the couch. Her mom picked up the phone while still holding a glass that she had been drying.

"Hello, Higurashi residence." She said cheerfully.

"Yes this is his wife, what's the problem?"

That's when her face fell and all the colour was gone. The glass in her hand dropped to the ground and shattered at her feet, but she didn't care. She sat down in the chair, shaking slightly. Her eyes glazed over and brimmed with tears. One of her hands raised shakily to her mouth, covering a gasp. Then the phone slid from her grasp, and she was stuck staring forwards. Kagome didn't like the look that her mom had suddenly got and rushed to her side, telling Souta to stay on the couch.

"Mamma?" She asked taking her cold hands in her own. "Mamma what's wrong?"

Her mom's gaze traveled from over Kagome's head to her eyes, and the moment Kagome looked into them, they seemed almost dead to the world. She swallowed and then said in a whisper almost too silent to hear:

"He's gone."

"Who's gone mamma? Is it grandpa?" She asked curiously.

She stared into her mother's eyes, thinking of the possibilities of what could've happened, but only a few things came to mind, none that she would want to happen.

"Mamma…is it daddy? Is he alright?" She asked, her voice wavered only slightly.

She nodded slowly.

"He was in an accident." She said quietly before bursting into tears. Kagome pulled her mom into an embrace, trying to give warmth to her cold body. Her figure shook with violent sobs and the tears dampened Kagome's hair and shirt. Her eyes watered slightly and her heart broke into several pieces, but only one tear escaped the wall of strength, only one tear that she let shed for her father. She loved him, but she knew that he wouldn't want to see her cry, ever.

Then slowly Kagome was left standing alone, waiting alongside a road. It wasn't one she recognized, but none the less familiar. She stood there in silence, waiting for someone to come by so she could hitch a ride, that's when a car came down the road, a pick up to be exact. But that wasn't the only thing that appeared, a woman looking cold with a hood over her face stood there with her thumb out, hitchhiking.

"Excuse me, do you know where we are?" She asked the woman, but no answer came.

The truck got closer, and the woman still kept her face hidden. Then the truck slowed down and pulled to a stop in front of her. The window rolled down and a familiar face peering out the window, her father.

"Hey, where are you heading?" He asked, trying to get a look at her face.

"Anywhere, just away." She replied, her voice carrying a tone that said that she was bitter.

"I can drop you off at the nearest gas station if you'd like?" He offered.

"Thanks." She said picking up her bag. She opened the door and climbed in, Kagome couldn't do much but follow as the door was held open before she got inside the truck. It was a tight squeeze, and she knew that neither could see nor hear her somehow. She just sat there, looking from her father to the woman next to her.

He started up the car again and they were traveling along silently. Not a word was exchanged between the two, but she could cast glances over his way once in a while. It made Kagome feel a little worried that something was going to happen.

Then in one quick motion, the woman pulled out a sharp blade from her sleeve and rammed it into the temple on the side of his head. No scream was uttered from his lips, only from Kagome. The car swerved until it hit a tree to the side of the road. The impact wasn't hard, but it was enough to make you a little stunned. The woman pulled back her blade, wiping it on his shirt. The blood poured from his head, and it only pleased the woman.

She pulled back her hood partially, and Kagome had a partial view of her face. She had a dark visage from the lack of light, and a head full of black hair. Her eyes were dark and just looking into them made her shiver. An evil grin spread across the woman's face as she tucked away her blade and reached over for his wallet. Silent tears formed in her eyes and she was crying out for her dad.

The image disappeared until she saw the woman yet again pushing the truck over the cliff and her father was in there. She screamed so loud that it woke her up and out of the dream. She was sweating beyond belief and she was shaking.

"Daddy." She whispered out loud. She glanced around her room, and it was still the same that she knew. Her music had been turned off and she was still wearing her clothes that she had worn earlier. Her clock told her that it was a little after 4 in the morning, which didn't sit too well with her.

She pressed a hand to her forehead, trying to forget the dream that she just had. This wasn't her first time having this dream. So she did the only thing that she knew to do. She untangled herself from her blankets and crawled out of bed. She got down on her hands and knees and reached under her mattress. She felt around until her hand landed on a notebook, coiled with metal at the sides.

She flipped open to the first page, and saw the pick taped down to the paper. It was the very same pick that her father had given to her the very day he went to go play his big concert, the concert that would make him big. Kagome traced a finger along it, her eyes brimming with tears as she looked down at it, remembering her father all too well.

She turned the page, breaking away from the emotional bond between itself and her. Flipping through pages of songs, poems, and just confessions put together, she came across a blank page. She reached around her floor until her hand landed on a pen, her favorite ballpoint pen that she loved writing with. She suddenly realized that she couldn't see, being woken up from her slumber and all, and turned on her lamp on her side table.

She had to shield her eyes until she could see properly, when the tiny dots the danced before her vision disappeared. She looked down at the blank paper, not really thinking of anything but the dream that she had just dreamt. Then as she placed her pen on the paper, ideas just sprang into life and her hand flew across the paper, writing down what she was thinking.

You're changing before my very eyes

And I'm hearing none of your good-byes

And you left me all alone

And you left me with no emotion shown

I remember you standing at my door

And I remember you saying life's a bore

And I remember you telling me how you loved me so

I remember how you left me feeling so low

You said that you'd never lie

And I told you that I would never cry

But promises were meant to be broken

And some things weren't meant to be spoken

And there's something that you never knew

I never really did like you

We would walk through the park hand in hand

I would lean on you when I couldn't stand

And we laughed together under the stars

And we danced in the light of the cars

And I remember our first kiss

And I remember you saying that it was pure bliss

But you left me all alone

And you left me with no emotion shown

You said that you'd never lie

And I told you that I would never cry

But promises were meant to be broken

And some things weren't meant to be spoken

And there's something that you never knew

I never really did like you

Now you're back asking for me to take you back

But brains is the only thing that you lack

So turn on your heel and go away

And don't try to bother me any other day

Because you and me are truly done

And now a new phase of my life has begun

You said that you'd never lie

I told you that I would never cry

But promises were meant to be broken

And some things weren't meant to be spoken

And there was one thing you never knew

I never really did like you

You said that you'd never lie

I told you that I would never cry

But promises were meant to be broken

And some things weren't meant to be spoken

And there was one thing you never knew

I never really did like you

And you crossed your heart, and hoped to die

But you broke that rule so bye-bye

Kagome read over what she had written and a faint smile came across her face. Whenever she was down, this was her way to relieve anything that was making her feel not like her usual self. She stuffed it back under her mattress and decided to go back to bed. She jumped into bed and before she turned out her lamp, she looked over at the picture of her side table. It was her mom, dad, a baby Souta in her mother's arms with a smiling Kagome being held by her father.

"Goodnight daddy." She whispered

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Morning came and a loud honking noise rang throughout Inuyasha's ears. He slammed his pillow over his head trying to block the noise out, but the noise wouldn't cease. He growled as he opened his eyes to a blurry room. He brought up a hand and rubbed his eyes vigorously, trying to get his sight back. His room was still dark, as usual, and Sesshoumaru hadn't tried to wake him up yet. Inuyasha was starting to get suspicious. The honking noise sounded again and Inuyasha sprung up, going to see who the hell was waking him up from his beauty sleep.

He stomped down the stairs in his deep red boxers and his tousled hair, daring the person to honk again. And then they did. Inuyasha growled as he threw open his front door and for a split second he shielded his sun from his eyes, placing a hand over his sight. That's when he heard laughter. He looked over to the black car sitting in his driveway. It was an all right looking car, a black Acura, with only two doors and flip-back seats. In the driver's seat laughing his ass off was a red faced Miroku. His eyes were slits he looked like he was going to suffocate himself. In the passenger seat was Sango who was looking very bewildered at the moment.

"Inu-Inuyasha my man!" Miroku managed to spit out. "Nice choice of undergarments, but I think that you should get fully dressed before I piss myself!"

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He asked confused.

"I, we came to pick you up in my new ride! My old man wouldn't pay child support, so he bribed me by giving me this so it's all mine! Now go get dressed so we can hurry up and go to school."

"FINE!" He roared turning back inside his house. He saw Sesshoumaru standing in the doorway to his study with his glasses sitting on the edge of his nose. He had an amused look on his face and an open book in his hands. Inuyasha glared at him as he jumped up the stairs, wanting to get ready before Miroku sent Sango up to get him.

He flicked on his music and lights, and right away `The Taste of Ink' by The Used came on. He picked up some clothing off of the floor and shoved them on before he grabbed his bag and headed for school. He had decided on a pair of dickies shorts with a black leather belt with stars on it. He had on a red dickies shirt to match and he had his black ATTICUS hat on to top it all off. As for accessories, he had his earphones to his disc man around his neck, a black leather band on his left wrist that had a bunch of red and white words scribbled all over it.

When he got outside Sango was leaning against the side of the car with the door open and the seat back. She was wearing a pair of high black socks, around the knee, and a pair of red and white `old school' sneakers. She had on a schoolgirl skirt, red and blue plaid, but ripped it at the bottom so it looked more `punk'. She had on a belt that was merely black material with metal hoops hanging off of them. She supported a black spaghetti strap with a long sleeve black mesh shirt over it. She had some rips in the spaghetti strap that revealed some cleavage and some belly. The ends of the mesh shirt turned into gloves, except with no fingers. Her nails were blood red with black dots on them and they looked deadly.

Her hair was tied in one long braid going down her back and around her neck she had a simple silver chain. She didn't wear much makeup, but had on some eyeliner to accent her eyes.

"Hop in." She said motioning to the open car door. He didn't reply, but got in the car as ordered. He sat behind Miroku, not trusting Sango too much at the moment. Right away Sango pushed back the seat and got in, and Miroku started the car.

"Okay, now one more stop then its school!" Miroku said, but it only received him a fist in the arm from Sango. "Hey, I'm driving. You wanna die?"

"Keep your eyes on the road Miroku and try to drive sanely please. Then maybe I won't die!" She said reaching over to the stereo and turning it up. The song that came on was `Nowhere Kids' by Smile Empty Soul, and right away Inuyasha knew that he already liked these people. They sat in silence, or as much silence you get with blasting music and the three occupants singing along at their own loudness. Then when Miroku pulled in front of stairs, Sango hopped out and disappeared up them.

"She's just going to get Kagome." Miroku reassured him.

"Alright." He said simply.

Miroku looked Inuyasha over in the rear view mirror before turning around to face him.

"Lighten up dude! I'm not going to eat you!" Miroku exclaimed as he saw how tense Inuyasha was being.

"Like you could." He mumbled.

"Dude, now that you're a part of this band now, you're officially one of us. We're all friends and that's how we do it. So don't be so you know when you're with us. Be yourself, or else Kagome might unleash her wrath on you." He chuckled.

"What do you mean `wrath'?" Inuyasha eyes him.

"Oh you know, Kagome is one of those violent type. I can't see why Kouga liked her anyway, and although Sango is quite strong, and very powerful no matter what, she can't beat the `wrath' of Kagome." He said shuddering at the thought.

"Thanks for the warning."

"No problem there buddy!" He said giving him a wink.

"Dude, turn this song up." Inuyasha said motioning to the stereo. He turned up the song as he turned around. It was `On My Mind' by Powderfinger.

Just as the song went into the first verse, Kagome and Sango jumped the stairs and landed on the ground. Kagome was wearing a pair of baggy camo shorts and a dark green tank top with fake dirt smudges on them. She had her skate shoes on and she had her hair tied in a low ponytail at the back, twirling onto the side to rest on her shoulder. She had on some aviators and a camo mesh hat. On her left she had a single sleeve of camo that stopped around her elbow and wrapped around her hand like a fingerless glove. On her right she had a strap of beige shoelace wrapped in a criss-cross fashion along her whole arm.

Inuyasha yanked his bag off of the seat and made room for Kagome. The seat flipped forward and Kagome jumped in beside him. She flashed him a smile before she looked back up to Miroku.

"Hey `Roku! I love this song! Turn it up!" She said as she did up her seatbelt.

"Can't no more, Inuyasha already requested it be turned up, and this is it's max until I get those speakers I've been dying for built in." He said speeding away to school.

"So Kag, did you talk to `him' yet?" Sango asked from the front.

"Yeah, well I guess we did. Didn't accomplish much though."

"Did he tell you why he did what he did?"

"Not really, he said he didn't want to tell me. He said that just cause of the whole `band' thing doesn't mean that we shouldn't still you know."

"And?"

"And I told him that I'd tell him when he told me. Then I said see you around school and skated off."

"Ah I see. Been thinking a lot?" She asked Kagome with a smile.

"Ye- hey. What are you trying to get me to say?" She accused her friend.

"Oh nothing, nothing at all." She said turning away with a smile.

She started to laugh as she caught a glance of what Kagome looked like in the side mirror. Inuyasha looked at Sango, clearly confused before turning his attention back to the road. The music hadn't been turned down, and now some old Guns N' Roses were playing `Welcome to the Jungle'.

Kagome looked over at him and observed what he was wearing.

"I take it you like your music?" She asked laughing at him.

"Does it matter?"

"Not really, just wondering. You might get caught if you listen to it in class you know."

"I'm not afraid, don't worry. If I get in trouble, I'll find my way around it-unlike yourself." He said before turning his attention back to the scenery passing by him.

"Whatever." She said before doing the same. Miroku pulled into the parking lot behind the school-reserved for students only-in no time at all.

"And we're here, with only minutes to spare!" He exclaimed. Sango flipped her seat forward again and both Kagome and Inuyasha exited the car. The four of them walked into the school, talking about the latest music that they'd heard. Inuyasha barely had much to say, busy wondering about certain things.

It seemed as if all eyes stared their way as they walked down to the 100th floor, which was where all of their lockers were located. All except Inuyasha, he didn't quite have one. He kept his eyes focused on where he was going while he listened to what the students were whispering about. They were whispering about them, and how they were freaks. Anger started to boil inside of him and he felt like tearing this whole place apart.

"Inuyasha? Earth to Inuyasha." Kagome said waving a hand in front of his face.

"Huh?" He said stupidly, his rage subsiding.

"I said let's go to my locker so you can grab your stuff? Alright?" She said still walking.

"Yeah sorry."

"So did you get your times table yet?" She asked him while opening her locker.

"Nah, probably going to stop by the office now."

"Well then I suggest you wait a few minutes and I'll join you." She chuckled.

"What do you mean?" He asked staring at her clearly confused.

"I tend to-how do you say this-get a little carried away with my temper. All because of one stupid whore." She said narrowing her eyes while looking down the hall. Inuyasha's eyes traveled to a girl who was walking down towards them. It was the exact girl who wouldn't let him go get his bike the other day. She was wearing a short skirt that showed some of her ass and she wore a shirt that looked way too small for her. Her boobs were practically bulging out of the shirt, and she wore her hair in high ponytail again and too much makeup. Everyone stared at her with a look in their eyes that told him that everyone admired her.

"Oh god not her again." Inuyasha said rolling his eyes.

"You've met Kikyou before?" She asked curiously.

"Yeah, yesterday after school. Blocked my way and tried to get me to go out with her. Finally I got her to move aside though, then ran into some trouble." He said thinking back.

"You have my sympathy." She laughed as she turned back to her locker.

"Thanks, but I think I'll need more than that, more like a tranquilizer gun or-" He said, but Kikyou came along and cut him off.

"Hello there tall, dark, and handsome. Hey there slut. What is she doing here anyway? Is she trying to steal you away from me darling?" She said batting her eyelashes.

"Uh no." He said turning away.

"This is my locker whore, so back off. And he ain't yours so back the fuck off before I do some serious damage, like yesterday!" She said handing Inuyasha his books.

"That was nothing but a scratch." She said waving it off.

"Now dear, why don't you tell this girl to go away and then we can go do something fun."

"Or not, how about you go away? I think that the farm needs another pig, run along home Suey!" He said making a farmer's impression with the last word. She laughed it off, pretending that he hadn't said anything offensive. She clung onto his arm and started to rub herself against his leg. Inuyasha froze at the sudden movement that she was making and his eyes almost bulged out of his head. Kagome's eyebrow started to twitch behind her aviators, and before she could stop herself she slammed her locker closed.

"Get. The. Fuck. Off. Of. Him." She growled at Kikyou through clenched teeth.

She glared at Kagome, not clearly seeing the rage in her eyes.

"No, I like him!" She said in an airhead tone.

That's when Kagome lost it. She kicked Kikyou in the stomach only to send her flying off of him. She came back forward and Kagome threw a punch at her, giving her a might-fine shiner. She fell to the ground holding her eye, and her groupies right away came to her side. IT was humiliation 1021 for Kikyou. She locked her locker and then grabbed Inuyasha's arm.

"C'mon, let's go to the office." She said in a deadly tone as she dragged him along.

"Kagome 1, Kikyou nothing." Inuyasha chuckled under his breath as he let her drag him.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .