InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifice ❯ Toga's little girl ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
 
 
It took awhile, but eventually the girl in Toga's arms stopped crying. Her tears had been painful, tearing, and as worried as they made the returned taiyoukai, they enraged him as well. Her family back across the well had thought her dead, had been told she was dead. Instead of being angered that she was back, that she was alive, they should've been joyful. He set the girl on her feet next to him and stood up beside her.
 
“Come little one,” he spoke to her in soft, soothing tones. “I'll take you to your mate.”
 
“Are you…”Kagome trailed off as she looked at her hands that she held folded in front of her. “Are you mad?” she asked softly.
 
“Yes,” he said and watched as she looked up at him with wide frightened eyes. “But not at you,” he said gently as he tucked her hair behind her ear.
 
Toga kissed her forehead before lifting her bag in one hand and letting her take his other arm.
 
“Tell me about my son,” he asked softly as he led her back through the wild grasses.
 
“Inuyasha?” Kagome asked as she turned her tear stained face up to his.
 
“I have been told that you are the one who knows him best,” he said with a gently smile.
 
Kagome gave a thoughtful hum and a soft giggle. She looked up at the cerulean blue sky decorated with fluffy white clouds.
 
“He's rough, irritating, foolish,” her voice had begun to grow into a soft growl and Toga was hard pressed not to laugh. “Infuriating, arrogant and completely irrational…but he's also the sweetest, kindest person I've ever known. Don't ever tell him that though, I don't think he'd like it too much,” she gave a soft giggle as she smiled wistfully. “He's beautiful in ways that the physical world can't even begin to comprehend. He's thoughtful, caring, valiant. He's a good, strong warrior. He's honorable, even at times when you think it shouldn't matter. He's smart,” she smiled brightly up at Toga. “So very, very smart. Sometimes he's like Shippou; in the way that they both know that sometimes, the direct path isn't always the best path. I swear, those little deviants can cause more trouble than you'd think possible.”
 
Kagome giggled suddenly and nearly laughed full out. Toga looked at the girl curiously, what could she be thinking?
 
“Did Inuyasha tell you what he's doing today?” she asked Toga.
 
“No,” he said with a frown. “Should he have?”
 
“He's building a house,” Kagome smiled brightly, proudly. “The village here, they've come to accept him, a lot. During the winter, he goes out and he hunts for the families that don't have any luck hunting. The families where the husband has died - he checks in on those left behind, the wives and children. He likes to think that I don't know about that - but I do.” She hummed softly in happy pride. “The house he's building today…One of the villagers, their son got married and his wife is pregnant. He asked Inuyasha to help him build a house and so that's what he's doing.”
 
“I think I should like to see this,” Toga smiled and followed his younger son's scent until they came upon him and a few humans building a rather large house.
 
It was no hut either. The house Inuyasha was helping to build was sturdy, the supports made from four tall, large oak trunks. The house had two levels. Each floor was made from hard wood flat boards with mud and moss in between for insulation and long slim boards on top. The walls were much the same. There were windows, and actual doors, not just bamboo curtains.
 
“Fine craftsmanship my son,” Toga called up to the hanyou perched on the roof.
 
Inuyasha looked down and saw his father and his mate standing on the ground below watching him. A blush rose quickly to his cheeks and he turned around quickly to secure the other flat board in place.
 
“He's also shy,” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“Feh!” was heard from the hanyou, though his back was still turned.
 
Kagome giggled heartily. “Really shy,” she amended.
 
“Look out!” they heard one of the village men yell and saw Inuyasha loosing his grip on the flat board he had been trying to secure.
 
The large, heavy board slid away and the hanyou realized only too late that burying his claws into it was not such a wonderful idea as the weight and momentum of the board pulled him down too. Toga dropped the bag he'd been carrying, the youkai and Kagome quickly raced to the rear of the house where the fallen hanyou lay.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome cried out in worry as she ran to his side and fell to her knees beside him. “Inuyasha,” she called his name again as she lifted his head carefully to lie in her lap.
 
“I'm ok Kagome,” the hanyou said with a soft chuckle. “Just got the air knocked out of me,” he said as he sat up and embraced his worried mate. “See? I'm fine,” he said and chuckled more when she started brushing her hands over him looking for any damage. “I'm fine,” he said again and pulled her in for another hug. “But you're not, you smell of tears,” he said but the girl wouldn't answer, she only buried her face in the side of his neck and held onto him tightly.
 
“I'll finish attaching that board,” Toga assured his son. “I don't think she'll be letting go of you anytime soon.”
 
Toga grasped the board by the holes made into the top edge of it and with the help of the village men, got it and himself onto the roof. He covered the moss and dirt insulation with the board and then discovered the rather ingenious way his son had been attaching it to the roof. The opposite roof board, already in place, was braided along the edge with rope to the bearing wall of the house and then nailed and secured to the outer two tree trunk supports with a crude cement. Kagome was right, his son was indeed intelligent.
 
Toga carefully and quickly secured the board he held in place and then leapt down to where his son was still being fussed over by Kagome. The girl seemed overly concerned as she held his right hand and it was then Toga noticed that two of his son's claws had been broken.
 
“Pup, lesson number one, never bury your claws in something like that,” Toga said as he helped them both to stand. “Kagome,” the girl looked up at him, her bottom lip drawn between her teeth. “May I borrow your locket for a while?” Kagome nodded and removed the necklace. “I will keep it safe, I promise,” he said to her as he put it in the folds of his haori. “Take your mate home,” he said to his son as he walked away.
 
“Wait, where are you going?” Inuyasha asked as he led Kagome, his arm around her waist the girl tucked into his side.
 
“I have some matters of importance to attend to,” he said cryptically before moving away once more. “She needs rest Inuyasha,” he advised his son.
 
 
 
 
Toga looked down the well that sat alone among the wild grasses. He'd seen Kagome and his son go in and come out. Something told him that if held onto Kagome locket it would allow him through as well. He stood silent as he removed the necklace from his haori and wrapped the chin around his fist, the small gold heart hanging down.
 
“Let me through little trinket,” he said to the locket as he jumped into the well. “Thank you,” he sighed as he found himself wrapped in the energies and lights of the time slip.
 
The proud youkai leapt gracefully out of the well and walked slowly into the late afternoon light. The sun was looking as though it may set soon, but still though not for a while yet. He tread silently into the house, his hand pausing on the door for a moment before opening it silently. The smells of the city had been bad and offensively intense, but inside they were far more bearable - welcoming even.
 
A startled gasp tore him from his musings and the youkai looked to his left, coming face to face with a woman that reminded him much of Kagome. This must be her mother, the inuyoukai thought as he studied her silently.
 
“Who-who are you?” the woman asked in a voice that was nervous though welcoming.
 
“I apologize for my intrusion into your home,” he said regally gifting her with a bow of his head. “My name is Toga. I am Inuyasha's father. There is one we need to speak of, someone I've come to think of as my little girl. She is your daughter, Kagome.”
 
 
 
 
 
Nearly an hour later, the woman sat with him at the kitchen table both drinking cups of fragrant tea spiced with sake. The woman raised her hand to cover her mouth, her eyes wide, tears pooling within their dark depths quickly.
 
“M-my baby,” her voice was trembling, her breath shuddering. “She's -she's alive?”
 
“Yes,” Toga answered her calmly, though she could hear the anger he still felt. “Kagome returned here to this place early this morning. When she crossed back over she was in tears. She said that someone - male - had thrown her out. I had come with the intent to confront this person.”
 
“Male? Thrown her out?” she questioned confusedly before her thoughts suddenly cleared and a rage so fierce it could nearly be held fell over her features. “FATHER GET IN HERE NOW!” she bellowed as the force of her anger caused her porcelain cup to shatter as she set it down too hard.
 
She was shaking with fury as she stood from the table and moved away, Toga moving to stand near her for fear she may physically attack the man. He was right to be cautious, he found, as he had to restrain her when the elder human entered and she reached out to presumably belt him with her fist. Toga held the trembling woman, her rage turning her face a rosy red.
 
“You need not shout,” the man said and then looked upon the youkai with wide owlish eyes. “Remove your hands from my daughter this instant you demon!”
 
“I will not,” he said as smoothly and coolly as his elder son would have. “My restraint is the only thing keeping you from harm right now elder.”
 
“Me?!” jii-chan asked incredibly. “Why should I need protection from her?”
 
“My baby girl is alive and you tried to keep her from me,” the woman in Toga's arms growled as the tears she had tried to keep at bay spilled silently down her cheeks.
 
The youkai holding her grew concerned at her tears though his face betrayed nothing he began purring softly. The soft rumbling in his chest soothed her with both the feel and the sound of his purring, and though it didn't quell her tears, it did calm her rage.
 
“That damn fool girl has-”
 
“Shut up!” the woman shouted. “She's my daughter. Mine! How dare you try to keep her from me.”
 
“Mom?” Souta questioned as he walked in on the precarious situation. “What's going on?”
 
“Kagome's alive,” she said to her son.
 
“Nee-san?” he questioned, his eyes wide with cautious hope.
 
 
 
 
“Let us all through little trinket,” Toga once again asked the locket for safe passage as he held the woman and boy to his sides and jumped through the magic well.
 
The trinket granted him his request and gave them safe passage through the time slip. Both humans gasped when he lifted them with a single bound out of the deep well and into the tall sun yellow and emerald green grasses that feathered their calves.
 
“Come,” he said simply. “I shall take you to her.”
 
He kept both close to his side as he walked with them through the darkness back to the village. It was vividly apparent when Kagome's mother first laid eyes on her daughter, the girl stepping out of the hut to take in the night air. The woman gasped and then called her daughter's name in a happy shout as she let go of the youkai next to her and sped toward her precious daughter.
 
“Mamma!” Kagome called out as she heard the woman's voice, her mate and his brother coming out of the hut after her.
 
“Kagome-neesan!” Souta cried out as he too ran toward her.
 
“Souta!” the girl cried out and ran toward them.
 
Toga couldn't help but laugh as the three humans ran into one another and knocked each other down into a pile of squirming, tightly embracing bodies. The human pack, so happy to be reunited, held onto each other tightly as they cried and laughed. The youkai nodded to his son as the hanyou came toward him and gave back the locket he had borrowed from Kagome.
 
“So that's what you needed it for,” Inuyasha said in wonder. “Kagome told me hat happened. It doesn't surprise me that the old bastard would do something like this to her.”
 
“Why is he upset so?” the youkai questioned his son.
 
“He doesn't approve of Kagome being around youkai or hanyou. If you ask me though, I think he's jealous that the attention's being taken away from him. He was the one with all the stories before, but now Kagome is living them.”
 
“Foolish. Completely foolish.”
 
“We should get them inside,” Sesshoumaru said as he stood next to his father and brother. “It is turning cold quickly, there will be rain tonight.”
 
“Yes, so it seems,” Toga said and he and his sons gathered the humans and helped them inside.