InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifice ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

And here is more of the lovely Sacrifice! ^_^ More romance for all of you that have been pushing for it! Thanks goes to Ookami-chan for her inspiration with her wonderful story. ^^ Rumiko Takahashi owns Inuyasha, not I. ^_^

Sacrifice

Chapter Five

By: Lazuli

lazulidreamer@yahoo.com

Kagome stared at the same walls that she had been trapped in before in blank amazement. She couldn't believe that Inuyasha would leave her here. After what he had said… the way he had acted and how possessive he had been earlier-he had now left her alone with a group of people that feared her and wanted her dead.

She kept her knees tucked up underneath her chin and tried not to cry as she felt the overwhelming loneliness stretch over her again. She missed being in Inuyasha's home, knowing that he was just in the room next to hers. Now she was in a hut that had several men guarding the outside of it, and women inside that stared at her with outright fear and barely concealed disgust.

"We are only letting you in the comfort of this home because of Inuyasha." The woman farthest away from Kagome spoke harshly. "If it was not for the threat that he hung above our heads, you would not be living at all."

"You shouldn't bother." Kagome's voice was angry. "With the way you're treating me now, it's not much different from being locked in a shed full of hostile animals. I doubt he'll be happy at that." She felt faintly surprised herself that she was speaking for Inuyasha so carelessly. She didn't have any real claims to him-but only her and Inuyasha knew that it was all pretend. Although why he went along with something so ludicrous was beyond her.

Another woman paled, but most of those gathered there looked angrily at her, several backing away as if they expected her to bring more evil upon them with her too-true words. "You will not speak your curses here." Kikyou spat out. "Keep your mouth shut if you don't want us to shut you outside with no food. Inuyasha wanted you to stay in the village-he never said that you had to stay in my home."

Kagome snorted and stood up carefully, brushing non-existent dirt off of her clothes. "Fine, then. I'd be much happier out in the woods then with you old bats."

She gathered her dignity around her and left the hut, ignoring the men that tried to stop here. "You cover me with blood and Inuyasha won't be happy." She warned. She felt almost heady with the power that she held in her hands at the moment. Inuyasha would hear of her words later and be angry with her-but for now it was good to have the upper hand. She hadn't felt so confident in a long time.

**

Her wandering took her up the extravagant stairs that were still there in her time, and as she walked up them, she felt a wave of homesickness come over her, but not as strong as before. If anything, it had dimmed almost to the point of a fond memory, and the loss of Inuyasha and his comfortable dwelling hurt more.

She looked at the small temple on the top of the stairs, and she sighed softly. Soon this would become a home-the village below erased in time and a street there and other building would fill the emptiness. What would happen to Inuyasha's home? To Inuyasha himself? Youkai didn't exist in her time-she had been truthful in telling Inuyasha they were only legend, that none existed. She didn't want that anymore-she truly missed Inuyasha and his rough, but caring ways. To be away from this village, their rigid lifestyle and fears of something that was trivial. It was strange how one that was so outcasted himself would be so accepting of a person who looked like the people that cast him out.

There was a sudden thump beside her and suddenly she was looking into concerned eyes. A tiny hand held out a bowl of some thick stew, which Kagome took gratefully along with the chopsticks by the same hand.

"My sister thinks you're evil." A solemn voice said, and Kagome was surprised that it was Kaede, the younger sister of Kikyou that was sitting next to her, completely without any of the fear that the older woman of the village showed.

"I have blue eyes and mated to a youkai." Kagome's voice was partly amused, partly annoyed. "Doesn't that make me evil?" She countered.

"You're not mated to him." Kaede said casually, staring at Kagome. "You don't act like you are. You're still human and you feel pure. You're not tainted at all."

Kagome made a face and ate some stew quickly to prevent herself from forming a nasty reply. She was only a child, after all.

Kaede saw the look on her face and quickly corrected herself. "I mean that… you haven't been touched…by a man." A blush spread over her face, signifying how embarrassed she was at having to practically spell out her meaning to Kagome. Kagome blushed as well and stared down at the stew as if it could lighten her blushes.

"I can't see why you don't go to your home village, though. They would treat you nicer than we would hear or some youkai would. Why do you trust him? He left you here." Kaede's dark eyes looked into hers, making her look much older than the eight years she actually was.

"I don't have a home anymore." Kagome said quietly. "I don't have any family to take care of me. My grandfather, Mother, and brother all died a week before I came here."

Kaede's eyes were sad and she touched Kagome's arm gently. Another difference between the child and the adult-the child wasn't afraid to touch, the adults were. It seemed the young of the community had a better chance of surviving than the adults. "I'm sorry…" She said softly. "You lost everything and we were all mean to you…" Almost to Kagome's delight, there was a hint of shame in the young girl's voice.

This is what type of person I've become? I'm actually pleased that this girl is ashamed for what she did… and it wasn't even her who did it!

"It's not your fault, Kaede. You're the one who was nice enough to bring me dinner." She put the empty bowl and chopsticks aside and smiled at her. "You're very brave and kind."

Kaede made a face and hopped up. "I'm not like them." She gestured to the villagers down below. "I actually can use the brain the gods gave me. You're nice and I hope you'll be happy again."

Kagome watched her move down the steps easily, holding the bowl and chopsticks in her hands, humming under her breath. Maybe with at least one person on my side here, it wouldn't be so bad…

**

Those hopeful thoughts stayed that way. She didn't see any manifestation of them outside her mind. She wasn't ever beaten outright, but little shoves into buildings and low tables quickly had her sides bruised and ankles constantly twisted. The food was meager and with the work she had to do…

Inuyasha didn't have me doing this much, and he said I was his servant! These women treat me like I'm their personal slave. Even the pigs are eating better than I am.

And Inuyasha never showed to take her away from all of this. Kagome was really starting to believe that he wanted her here, that his words of before were just words and not of any concern. Kikyou was especially starting to believe it, and didn't waste any time taunting Kagome about it. It was like the golden opportunity for the miko.

"So your mate isn't coming back for you. Maybe he wanted you to be the village drudge." Kikyou smiled nastily and poked at Kagome with the tip of her bow. "It seems that he really isn't all that concerned about you. I'm sorry, but a whore doesn't make you his mate. You were good for a temporary bed warmer, and that's it."

Kagome didn't hesitate reaching back and slapping the woman across the face. "How dare you even suggest that?" She hissed out. "Even your little sister has better eyes than you." Gesturing to herself, she glared at Kikyou. "Kaede knows that he hasn't even touched me in that way!"

Kikyou's expression turned amused. "I'm sure. Kaede is just a child. You trust the words of a child over a grown miko? You can't deny it."

"I trust a child that has shown me kindness." She said softly. "Again, more kindness than the villagers here, much kinder than a woman that is said to dedicate herself to the gods, but cannot extend a kind hand to a girl in torment, who is suffering."

Kikyou didn't look as if she cared. Her face resumed its bored, haughty look quickly. "You are outside the realm of the gods."

"And that's why I was never interested in you, Kikyou." Both women turned around at the sound of the unexpected voice intruding into their conversation, but had different reactions when they saw who it was. Kagome's face lit up happily at seeing the red-clad youkai in front of her, while Kikyou paled a whiter shade than the top of her robes.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome didn't hesitate in hugging the one truly familiar person to her, and told herself that she would worry about the consequences of her actions later. For now-Let's hope that he goes along with it. It would look really bad to break our cover now…

Inuyasha gave a response that shocked her. He lifted her in his arms before having his mouth descend on hers. She gasped in surprise at his action before her eyes closed and she tentatively returned the kiss, her sole experience in kissing being the three kisses that only he had given her. This was an entirely new dimension from those and she could only weakly follow it.

He finally set her down, taking a deep breath, a small smile on his face. "I'm sorry I was away so long." He whispered and she couldn't help returning the smile as she regained her own breath from the unexpected kiss. Kikyou's jaw looked like it was about to fall off, and some of the villagers had already appeared when Inuyasha had been originally spotted in the village. It seemed they were a sensation.

**

Kagome looked up at Inuyasha when they were alone. He decided to rest at the village-'just to annoy them' before heading back to his home. "Why were you away so long?" She asked quietly. "I know it's not any of my business…but I was worried." Her eyes turned down to her lap. She was too embarrassed to keep his gaze for long.

"You were worried that I was going to leave you here alone?" He asked, his voice soft, reaching only to her ears and nothing to the night beyond. His hands touched her face gently. "Kagome…I said that you were my mate. Even if we aren't true mates, you're at least pack to me-and I missed having you around once I left here. It's been lonely."

Her eyes met his in surprise, and he was grinning sheepishly. "I guess it's strange for me… I was always alone after my mother died, but now I want you there. You don't belong here, Kagome."

She snorted and gave him an ironic look. "I know that." She said with a gesture towards the village." He shook his head and took his hands in his. "I meant here, in this world, Kagome." His eyes were dark. "I've listened to you while you slept and I hear how you talk about your life before you came here-and I want to bring you back there."

He wasn't expecting the horrified look on her face. "No… no, Inuyasha." Her expression turned sad. "There's nothing for me there anymore. My family isn't there…I have only you…" She blushed but kept her gaze steady. "Can't I … please stay with you?" She whispered.

His eyes turned surprised and then softened. "Yeah, you can hang around for awhile longer." He teased. "I rather like having you around." He tilted her face back towards his, the smile still on his face. "And I rather like kissing and holding you. You're better than a pillow."

Kagome made an indignant noise at his comparison before it was cut short by his lips on hers. She quickly gave into it, leaning into his body as her arms tentatively crept around his neck to pull him closer.

He was all too happy to oblige and the kiss prolonged and turned into something deeper and more tender than she had received before. Her breath came out in a soft sigh when he pulled away, and she instinctively laid her head on his chest. Inuyasha nuzzled her gently and the two sat in companionable silence as the moon rose high over the horizon.

**

Kagome was surprised as she settled back into the routine with Inuyasha. It was like she was made for this and she had never left. She cooked the rice again, experimenting with the meat that Inuyasha caught and the vegetables that were sold to those not fortunate enough be growing their own. Her cooking skills had gotten much better-even Inuyasha had to admit that he could keep her around for more than just her kisses.

I'm still afraid that he's going to get tired of me. We're still not mates-I wonder if he senses my uneasiness? I'm still so young, and even living with him so closely is not something that I've done before. He still sleeps by himself, and again-I wonder how much that is his own desire to do so, and how much is his kindness to give me time. I'm afraid of the answer.

Things were also changing in the village. Kagome kept closed mouthed about what many of the villagers had done to her, but she wasn't aware that Inuyasha had kept a close eye on the village to watch out for her safety. There were several attacks a week now, and all seemed to be clambering for what had been a previously hidden artifact within the village. A jewel called the Shikon no Tama.

"So why is this thing so important?" Kagome asked as she finished setting aside the folded laundry. "It just seems like an ordinary magic artifact. Does it even work?"

Inuyasha snorted and raised an ironic eyebrow at her. "You still haven't been here long enough to realize what type of power that thing holds?" He shook his head, stirring up the embers of the fire, watching the sparks fly. "It's a very powerful jewel that helps youkai-gives them unbelievable power and strength." He looked down at the dying embers, his voice quieter. "It would have the power to change blood from half blooded to full blooded-"

Kagome understand what he was saying perfectly. "Do you want the jewel, Inuyasha?" She looked curiously at him. "You're accepted and respected by many people even without it." She touched his hand lightly and gave him a tentative smile. "You wouldn't be you if it was used. I rather like having this cute ears to tug." She demonstrated by a teasing yank and gave him a wide grin.

He growled playfully and pounced on her, pinning her to the ground. "But don't you want me to be stronger to protect you?" He touched her face lightly. "It can grant wishes. If you wanted to be with your family again, it could grant that wish." His gaze was steady and unfaltering as he looked into her confused blue eyes.

"Inuyasha… I told you already that there isn't anything for me back there. I don't want to give up you-" Her expression turned wistful. "Meeting you and having you take care of me is the best thing that happened to me…ever. It's like I belong with you."

Inuyasha's expression softened and a beautiful smile spread over his face as he looked down at her, before pulling her up and into his embrace. "I'm glad." He whispered. "I want you to stay here. Didn't I tell you that I didn't want to give you up? But I wanted you to be happy, first."

Her head tucked into his chest and she relaxed completely, hands reaching up to touch his face lightly. "I am happy with you." There were no more words needed and she reached up to kiss him. She hadn't tired of the feeling of his lips on hers, and instead wanted ever more of it, the sensations different each time he kissed her, growing more in intensity and feeling as if he sensed the change within her to stay. His arms wrapped around her completely and he growled low in his chest as the kiss changed from protective to possessive, tender to harsh and taking. It was a long moment before they finally pulled away from each other. "Sleep beside me tonight?" He asked hopefully. "I want to hold you before I fall asleep."

Kagome nodded and brushed over his lips. "I like that idea…" She wrinkled her nose and teased him once more. "I'm softer than the pillow."

He made a face and lifted her in his arms. "I don't want to think of you like a pillow, more like a stuffed animal." He said softly. "That was I can hold you close to my heart before I go to sleep instead of waiting for dreams."

Kagome was shocked at the unexpected words, and her eyes were soft as they settled on the futon together, Inuyasha turning her in his arms so that they were comfortably situated and surrounded by each other's warmth. His soft breathing lulled her into peacefulness, and all she knew was his body behind her, arms gently holding her around the waist and close to his heart. It was only a few moments before her eyes closed completely and she was lost in her own dreams-of love and family-dreams of their future and her past.