InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Twelve ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Okay, this is going to be the longest note I ever write, so in exchange, the next one will be verrry short, I promise. Lately, I've had the worst luck, with our septic tank, and we also had an exterminator come because my friend and I thought we were being bitten by something. I went to my doctor today to get something for itching, and he told me I had 'Molluscum Contagiosum.' It's a viral skin infection, a lot like chicken pox, but the bumps are really tiny. The bad part is, each little bump has to be frozen with liquid nitrogen, and this has to be done three or four times in two or three week intervals until no more bumps come up. So, I spend nearly two hours today getting poked with a little stick and having my skin frozen off, and each little place is eventually going to blister and peel off. As of right now, I have about 20 blisters, and another 200 spots that look and feel like cigarette burns. The point of all this is that I was having the world's biggest pity party when I got home. (And our bathroom flooded again.) But then, I checked my mail, and I wanted to give everyone who's been reviewing a really big thank you. It makes my day, especially today when I really needed it. And especially since I now have my very first fanart, which is SO COOL! (*hugs sogi*) I actually did a little dance in my chair over it, but I had to stop, because it hurt. XD Oh yeah, and I don't own Inuyasha. Thanks again, guys!

*******

"Second Chances" October Fall

*******

Kagome tried to ignore the noise from across the hall as she studied the recipe book in front of her. She's been invited to Sango and Miroku's Thanksgiving dinner, and she wanted to make something special to take over. Inuyasha had taken her grocery shopping earlier in the day, and she'd bought all the things for three different dishes, but she couldn't decide on just one. "I guess I could make all of them," she mumbled to herself.

"Hey, Kagome." She looked up to her open door to see Inuyasha there. "Do you care if we run an extension cord through here?" he asked.

"That's fine," she told him, returning her attention to the book as Inuyasha crossed the room with the long, orange cord, plugging it into the outlet.

"Are you still reading that thing?" he asked, approaching the table.

"Yeah."

"Well, I think you should make the pie."

"Of course you do. What are you taking over there?"

"Cheetos."

Kagome's jaw dropped. "You're not serious."

"Why not? Cheetos are food!"

Kagome shook her head. "You're hopeless," she sighed.

Inuyasha shrugged. "Well, Miroku and Sango are on their way, so we'll be practicing in a little bit."

"Okay. I'll be over in a second."

As Inuyasha left the room, Kagome smiled, closing her book. Life had definitely become more interesting in the past few weeks. Kouga hadn't shown up again, but he was still calling, and Kagome had learned not to answer any unfamiliar numbers. It also seemed like the second floor of Savvy's building had become one apartment instead of two. If Inuyasha had something to do in his own place, he made Kagome keep her door open, and he did the same, just in case Kouga tried to attempt any climbing from Kagome's side of the building. Most of the time, however, Inuyasha was on her couch, watching T.V., writing, or sleeping. He'd leave when he woke up, and left to shower, and that was usually the only time she had alone before they both went downstairs for work. She really didn't mind it, though, and especially enjoyed the time after their shifts, when they would sit and talk, ignoring the television completely. Usually they only discussed work, but sometimes Inuyasha would tell her stories of the things he'd seen and done, and she'd been shocked to learn he was over two hundred years old. She'd also told her own stories of her home at the shrine.

Hearing footsteps in the hall, Kagome looked up to see Sango appear in the doorway, along with Rin. "I brought a stowaway," Sango said with a smile.

"Are you going out with us tonight?" Kagome asked as she stood to embrace Rin.

"Hells, yes," Rin replied once they parted. "Sesshy's got some huge, important case he's working on. He wants to get it done before the wedding, but I've been bored to tears!" Her eyes lit up. "Oh, yeah. Are you coming to the wedding?"

Kagome blinked. "When is it?"

"Next Sunday."

"What? I don't have anything to wear! I'll have to buy a dress, and probably new shoes, and--"

Rin waved her off, shaking her head. "It's not going to be really formal. Sesshoumaru wants to keep it as quiet as possible. If the media found out, they'd show up in droves."

"Oh. Well, okay."

The three of them winced as a sudden shriek from an amplifier sounded from across the hall. "I guess it's time for practice!" Sango needlessly announced.

Crossing the hall, the girls found seats on the couch, which had been pushed up against the wall, and watched the band go over several songs before stopping to tune. "Inuyasha, do you want to practice the new song?" Miroku asked.

"I guess we could," he replied, flipping through his notebook to find the lyrics.

"We're actually going to play that?" Nathan, the guitarist, asked. He looked as if he couldn't believe either of them.

"Oh, come on," Miroku said with a grin. "Inuyasha worked very hard on it." Kagome wondered exactly what was going on as she saw Inuyasha strike Miroku with a threatening glare. This only seemed to encourage him, however. "What's the matter, Inuyasha? You didn't tell Kagome you finally finished her 'happy' song?"

Kagome felt a brush creep up her face, but it was nothing compared to Inuyasha's flaming red cheeks. "Just play the fucking thing," he grumbled, grabbing the microphone off the stand.

Nathan started the song, with Inuyasha coming in only moments later.

"I'm sick of second chancesCigarettes turn to ashesI'm standing under street signsTo know the places I've been my whole lifeI watch the hours pass usAnother one burns to ashesI'm waiting for your phone callTo come and save me so you can break my fall"I will stand outside, wait for you to come find meI will keep on my light by my bed till you get homeAnd I won't sleep tonight, till you get homeI won't sleep tonight, till you get home"My bed light's burning brighterBoiled like a boxed in fighterYou've got me fighting pillowsMy eyes just won't close till you're at my sideThe hours slip to morningI see the sun coming upI'm turning off the TVI'm watching faster than you gave up on me"I will stand outside, wait for you to come find meI will keep on my light by my bed till you get homeAnd I won't sleep tonight, till you get homeI won't sleep tonight, till you get home"I got your letters that you sent to meAnd it feels like summerBut your far away from meWhen I need you here"I will stand outside, wait for you to come find meI will keep on my light by my bed till you get homeAnd I won't sleep tonight, till you get homeI won't sleep tonight, till you get home..."

As the song came to a close, Rin and Sango clapped merrily, both grinning like jackals as they exchanged furtive smiles. Kagome clapped quietly as well, hoping she wasn't showing just how the song had effected her.

Inuyasha paid no attention the applause, looking angry again as he told the others what he wanted to go over next.

"I'm going to smoke," Sango said, standing up.

"I'm coming," Rin sang, pulling Kagome up from the couch as well.

Once they were outside in the parking lot, Rin and Sango let out the giggled they'd been holding in, and Kagome looked at them in bewilderment. "What's so funny?"

Sango stopped laughing, lighting her cigarette. "It's just that Inuyasha was so embarrassed," she explained. "I have never seen him so red."

"Well, I thought it was a great song," Kagome replied. "I don't see why he was so upset."

Rin rolled her eyes. "Duh, Kagome! He didn't want you to know it was for you!"

Kagome's brow furrowed. "Why wouldn't he? I thought it was, um... sweet."

Sango sighed, but she was still smiling. "Exactly. It was sweet." She paushed, exhaling smoke. "He likes you."

"...What?" Kagome laughed nervously.

"Don't try to deny it," Rin said. "That was by far the weirdest moment I've had in a long while. Inuyasha does not write things like that. Even when he was with Kikyou, any song he wrote about her was--"

"Psychotic?" Sango offered.

"A little, yeah."

"You guys are nuts," Kagome told them. "He only wrote it because I asked him to!"

"Okay," Sango replied pleasantly.

"Sure," Rin said.

(*)(*)(*)

Inuyasha called a break to the practice, and went to the window to check on the girls. He hadn't told Kagome, but he'd caught the trace of Kouga's scent nearby more than once, and he didn't believe in being too careful. Sango was putting out her cigarette in the gravel, however, and he watched as the girls disappeared back into the building. He caught Kagome's eye as she filed back into the living room behind Rin and Sango, but she quickly looked away, her cheeks pinking. Inuyasha forced back an annoyed growl; there was absolutely no telling what those girls had said to her. He could tell they were up to no good by the smiles on their faces.

After another hour, the practice ended, and Nathan, Seth, and Miroku loaded their equipment up, hauling it downstairs. "See you guys tonight!" Sango called as she followed the boys out.

Kagome looked to Inuyasha. "Well, I'm going to go get ready." She stopped in the doorway. "Oh, I liked the song, by the way."

Inuyasha nearly sighed with relief. It seemed Kagome had not read too much into the words of the song, unlike his other so-called friends. "Thanks. It was a challenge."

She smiled. "Well, give me half an hour, and then I'll make some dinner before we leave, okay?"

"You don't gotta do that."

"I want to," she told him, and left before he could argue with her about it.

Walking into her bedroom, Kagome began going through her closet for something to wear. She'd bought quite a few new outfits with her tip money, and decided to wear a skirt, since she hardly ever did while she was working. It was a long, black sheath skirt, slit up each side to just above the knee, and with that, she paired a plum-colored tank top.

Going to the bathroom, Kagome put on a small amount of make-up, and wished she could think of something quick to do to her hair. She never considered cutting it, but sometimes she tired of wearing it down. Well, it's not like I'm trying to impress anyone, she told herself, thinking back to the conversation she'd had with Rin and Sango. She knew they had to be wrong about Inuyasha; he hadn't even hinted that he was interested in her. She had to admit, though, it would be embarrassing if it were the truth. In the past few weeks, she'd become increasingly comfortable around him, doing things that she never would have done around any guy she'd ever dated or even liked. Blushing as she thought of the papaya face mask she'd worn while watching television the night before, she shook her head. Why am I worrying? They've got me all worked up over nothing, is all. She quickly resolved not to think about it anymore, and brushed her hair before going to the kitchen to start dinner. She wasn't putting her shoes on until she absolutely had to; they were the ones Rin had bought her for Halloween, and she knew firsthand how much they could hurt.

While she was browning the beef for the stir fry, she heard Inuyasha enter, and then the sound of an undisguised snort. "Why are you wearing that?"

She turned to see a strange expression on his face. "What do you mean? Does it look bad?"

"Well... no. It's just that's it's November."

She smiled, rolling her eyes. "That's what coats are for, silly." She turned back to the stove. "You look nice."

Inuyasha looked down to his long-sleeved black t-shirt and jeans, his brow furrowing. He didn't look any different than he did any other day. He crossed his arms, feeling uncomfortable once more. Should he tell her she looked nice? He didn't think he could manage to after the earlier embarrassment he'd been put through. She didn't seem to be waiting for him to reply, though, so he let it go.

After dinner, Kagome put her shoes on, and grabbed her black wool coat from her closet before her and Inuyasha made the long drive to the club. Traffic was insane, but she was grateful for it. If Inuyasha wasn't stuck behind a car, he was usually scaring the life out of her.

Parking very far from their destination, Kagome and Inuyasha had to walk the rest of the way, and Kagome shivered beneath her coat, drawing a look from Inuyasha. "Told you," he muttered.

"Hush. We'll be there soon enough, and I bet it's burning up in there."

When they finally reached the club, Miroku was outside waiting for them, and they followed him inside, paying the ridiculous cover charge before finding seats at the table Sango and Rin had managed to grab. Kagome couldn't believe how packed the place was; there was barely even standing room, and the throb of music made it hard to hear anything else. A server came by, and Sango requested watermelon vodka shots for herself and Rin. "Did you want anything?" Inuyasha asked Kagome, leaning close so she could hear him.

"No, I think I've had my fill of drinking for a little while," she replied with a smile. Inuyasha nodded in agreement, and was going to ask her if she wanted a soda instead when Sango and Rin pulled her up from her seat, dragging her away towards the dance floor. Kagome was shaking her head in protest the whole time, and Inuyasha bit back a laugh.

"Kagome's looking nice tonight," Miroku commented after several minutes, his eyes trained on the dance floor where Sango and Rin were still trying to convince Kagome to dance.

"Yeah," Inuyasha replied casually. He planned to play it safe on the subject of Kagome from now on, especially around his lecherous friend.

"Isn't that what she wore to our show?"

Not realizing he was stepping directly into a trap, Inuaysha snorted. "No, that was completely different."

"Ah, so you're noticing these things? I wonder what that could mean?"

Inuyasha blinked in confusion, and then scowled. "It doesn't mean anything!" he said, feeling frustrated that Miroku had managed to pull one over on him. "It's just different, that's all."

"Oh. I only remembered because I spent the better portion of that night admiring her legs. It wasn't the same for you?"

Inuyasha sighed. "No. And I'm sure Sango would love to know what you spend your time doing."

Miroku tilted his head slightly. "Actually, it was Sango that mentioned it to me."

"Figures. You turned her into a pervert, too."

"Not at all. In Sango's line of work, some things are bound to grab her attention. She was only telling me what a hit Kagome would be if she decided to work the stage instead of the floor."

Inuyasha couldn't stop the growl that welled up in his throat, but tried to mask it by coughing. "Kagome wouldn't do that," he said, attempting to sound calmer than he felt at the idea of Kagome becoming a stripper.

"No, she probably wouldn't," Miroku agreed. "Still, it'd be something to see."

Inuyasha didn't reply, but his eyes scanned the floor, finding Kagome, who was dancing half-heartedly between Rin and Sango, and although she was smiling, she looked like she'd rather be having a root canal. He wondered if she felt anything like he did in places like this; like the world had suddenly become too small. Inuyasha had never cared for large crowds, and it wasn't only because of the sounds and smells that overwhelmed his heightened senses. He'd been brought up in a different time and environment, and he'd also been completely alone for over half of his lifetime. When Sesshoumaru had found him decades ago, and they'd traveled to America, it had taken Inuyasha years to adjust to a world where he was constantly surrounded by humans. Kagome seemed just as overwhelmed at the moment, and although he knew it couldn't be for the same reasons, he felt sympathetic towards her.

Leaving Miroku at the table, Inuyasha slowly made his way through the mass of people until he reached the girls. "Inuyasha, did you come to dance?" Rin asked, her brown eyes twinkling with mischief.

"No, I came to ask Kagome if she knows how to play pool," he replied, not missing the look of gratitude that passed over her face.

"Why didn't you ask Miroku to play?" Sango asked.

"Because he stinks at it."

"I'll play," Kagome spoke up, letting Inuyasha lead her off the polished floor and through the crowd to the billiards room, which was almost completely deserted. "Thank you," she told him as she sank into a large leather chair.

"No problem. So, do you know how to play?"

Kagome grinned. "I don't have a clue," she admitted.

Inuyasha found himself smiling back. "Well, I guess it's time you learn. Grab a stick." Kagome chose a cue from the wall while Inuyasha paid the attendant and brought a tray of pool balls to the table, racking them up. "We're going to play eight ball," he told her, placing the cue ball at the end of the table. "The rules are pretty easy." He lined up the shot, striking the cue ball, and Kagome watched as it hit the others, sending them across the table, and causing one to disappear into the corner pocket. "Okay, I got the three in, which means I'm solids, and you're stripes."

"And what's that mean? That I have to get all the stripes in?"

"Right," he replied. "There's a little more to it than that, though. The point of the game is to sink the eight ball before the other person, but you have to sink it last. If either one of us does it before then, we lose the game."

"Alright. So, is it my turn yet?"

"Nope. I got a ball in, which means I get to go again. You only get a turn if I miss."

Kagome pouted. "Alright."

Inuyasha lined up his next shot, but it missed, banking off the side. "Okay, now it's your turn."

Kagome surveyed the table, a serious look on her face before bending over the table and aiming at the cue ball, which she missed entirely. Blushing, she back away from the table. "I guess it's harder than it looks," she mumbled.

Inuyasha couldn't help the chuckle that escaped him. "You're not doing it right."

"I figured that much out," she replied dryly.

He came up beside her. "Watch me," he told her, positioning himself for his next shot. Kagome tried mirroring his stance. "Okay, first of all, your hand's wrong." He stood up straight, putting his cue aside, and Kagome bit back a gasp as his hand lit on her elbow, bending it slightly. After that, he moved to her hand, positioning it in a better way. "You have to use this hand to steady the cue, or your shot will go wild. Also, you need to aim for the center of the cue ball. Most of the time, anyway." Kagome nodded, trying to calm her fraying nerves as Inuyasha took his next shot. He sunk two more balls before Kagome moved to the table for her turn. Striking the cue ball, the cue slid to the side, barely moving the white ball, and Kagome stomped her foot in frustration.

"Calm down," Inuyasha laughed as he returned the cue ball to where it had been. "You just didn't hit it hard enough."

"I don't like this game!" she whined.

"Here, get ready again," he told her, and once she positioned herself, Inuyasha came up behind her, and Kagome's eyes widened as he placed his hand around hers. Did he not know how wrong their position was? If she moved back at all, she'd be touching... stuff she shouldn't be. She felt her face burning, and hoped he wouldn't see.

Inuyasha actually didn't realize the compromising position at all, not until the scent of Kagome's hair tantalized his nose, reminding him of an exotic flower. After that, it hit him with perfect clarity, and he back away slightly, hoping she wouldn't notice.

After helping Kagome execute the shot, he stepped away from her, letting out a shaky breath, and when his turn came, he completely missed his shot, causing Kagome to smile victoriously. "That doesn't mean you're winning," he reminded her.

"You never know," she replied before taking her shot, which banked and sank into the corner pocket, obviously a result of luck and nothing more. "See? I'm already catching up to you."

"Yeah, well--" He stopped in mid-sentence, his eyes darting out towards the bar.

"What is it?" Kagome asked, watching Inuyasha raise his nose to the air.

He sat his cue on the table. "I'll be back," he told her, quickly leaving the room.

Kagome watched as Inuyasha was lost in the crowd, and wondered what he had smelled. Had Kouga followed them? Or was it something else?

She was growing incredibly impatient, as well as worried, when Inuyasha returned ten minutes later. He handed her coat to her, which she'd left at the table, and began gathering the pool balls, taking them up to the attendant.

"Inuyasha, what's going on?" Kagome asked as he finally approached her.

He looked reluctant to reply. "I've gotta take you home."

"Why? What happened?"

He grimaced. "I think Kikyou's in trouble."

*******

serendith- Thanks very much!

cccaaatttyyyy- Thanks!

c.penny- Well, considering I won't be leaving the house much for the next few weeks at least, I should be updating quite often!

mikogirl- Thanks for the review!

sogi- I'm weak for Chevelles, so I couldn't help it. Oh, and I loooooove the pictures! Can I post them on my website I'm working on? I wanted to ask you first.

inuyashaloverr- I'm blushing.

badgirl093- Yeah, I looked up that band, and I'm pretty sure I know exactly what song you were talking about. Too bad I couldn't find any to download though, because the lyrics were hilarious!

xXDarkLadyXx- Well, I will give no clues as to the dating thing, but his ears are definitely cute.

Melzilla- I'm itching to see this picture, heehee. But I can definitely wait, because I know what it's like to have half finished drawings laying around. I have about 30, lol. And another dozen at least they I plan to do, and haven't even started on. Most of them are sketches for this story, because there's some funny material. I'll get around to it one day. Maybe.

Nikkie23534- Thanks!

The goddess Rhiannon- So.... you love it? *giggles* Thanks, I'm glad you like.

Angel 4 life- Great!

White Luna- Haha, UFC does rock.

savii- I love getting woots.

Simply a Lady- Thank you very much, and I think the picture is awesome, too.

inu4me- Being up all night is something I'm very used to. (I've had 3 hours of sleep in two days.) Thanks for the review!

HENDYCANDY- Thank you!

Kawii-Love- Thanks!

Lil Pix- Thanks, I'm glad I found where this story was going again, lol.

ShaylaBlade- Haha. Sure, you're not. (Just kidding.)

sublimetrickster- Thanks for all the help. On the grammar, I have the same problem as a lot of people, which is simply: I rush. I write most of the chapters in long hand, and I type them up too fast without looking at what I'm doing. As for the action scene (hides)... I HATE WRITING ACTION! I'm so horrible at it, but I do plan on going back and revising at some point. Thanks for your help.

eien_ni_kawaii- Thanks!