InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sayonara, Kanashi Houshi ❯ Hitori to Kanashi ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sayonara, Kanashi Houshi

(Goodbye, Sad Monk)

By Golden-sama

Rated: PG-13, for Mild Language, Violence, and Miroku's usual habits

Summary: Miroku discover he has only one week to live before his Kazanna devours him. How will he live his last week alive? Read it! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll get to read one dam' good story. So what are you waiting for?

Chapter Three

Hitori to Kanashi

(Alone and Sad)

When Akiko's eyes opened next, she found herself in a small, dark room. The walls were made from stone, and covered in moss and strange stains that looked almost like blood. She could feel the cold metal claps on her arms and legs. She noticed that the bruises and cuts on her body had stopped bleeding; it must have been hours since she was caught. Yet there was little good news. She was naked, tied up in a strange dungeon, and she had no clue where she was or how to, or even if she could escape.

"Where were you taking Kohaku?"

She lifted her head up to see a tall white baboon. No, it was someone wearing baboon skin. A demon. It was the youkai that had chased her. She didn't speak.

"Very well. Kagura, find out for me, will you?"

The white baboon walked away, and a young girl with short dark hair took his place. She had a twisted smile on her face and Akiko knew that it meant trouble.


"You really should tell me, this will hurt like hell."

Kagura was holding a whip. Akiko knew it would indeed hurt, but she would not break Tsune-sama's trust. She would never break the trust of her beloved Tsune-sama.

"Have it your way." Kagura said.

-------------

He could feel water washing over his battered body, and it was stinging his cuts and scars. Kohaku lifted himself to his knees, but his arms gave way and he fell back down again. The eleven-year old was lying in a stream. The same stream he had fallen into when he fell from the mountain.

He was covered in blood, and his entire body hurt. He should have been dead, but the Shikon Shard was still embedded in his back, and it had stopped death from taking him. It had not, however, stopped the bruises and the pain.

"Ane…"

Kohaku wanted to stay there. He wanted to die there. He knew now. He knew everything. He knew what happened, what he did, what he was. He was a monster. A murderer.

Suddenly Kohaku heard footsteps. They were drawing closer. From the sounds of it, it was two people. Both of them were small, perhaps his age or younger. That or they were a pair of small youkai that could eat him.

"Hurry Jaken-sama! Rin wants to find a good fishing spot!"

Kohaku could hear voices now. He raised his head as much as he could and to his surprise he saw a young girl running his direction. He knew her. It was Rin. He had meet her a few times in the past.

"Waiiiit! Riiiiin!"

Behind her was Jaken, running after her as he usual did now. Kohaku wondered if they would help them. He wondered if they even saw them. Rin was getting closer, closer, she was --

"Uff!"

Rin had tripped right over Kohaku and fallen into the shallow stream. Jaken screamed, afraid that she was hurt, which would not please Sesshoumaru. But Rin pulled herself up a moment later, no more than a small cut on her cheek. She looked over and saw what she tripped on. Who she tripped on.


"Kohaku!"

Spotting his condition, she quickly moved over towards him and pushed him over onto his back. Kohaku peered up at the younger girl, and saw the concern in her face.

`Why is she so concerned?' Kohaku thought. `I tried to kill her before. Why does she care? Why should anyone care?'

"Riiiiiin!"

Jaken had now joined them. He blinked and opened his mouth in a gaggling noise when he realized who Kohaku was.


"Jaken-sama." Rin asked, poking the small youkai in his stomach.

"Hmm? Ah, Rin!"

"Go get Rin some herbs! I want to help Kohaku!"

Kohaku didn't speak, he just lay there. It looked like he'd survive after all. He cursed his luck.

"What? Don't you order me around Rin! We're supposed to be catching fish! Besides, this one isn't even one of our--"

"Jaken."

The toad stopped speaking at once. He turned around at once and stared at Sesshoumaru. How that youkai could sneak up on the two of them was beyond Jaken. Of course he was Sesshoumaru-sama. He was the best youkai in the world.

"Y-y-yes Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"Go get Rin her herbs."

Jaken couldn't believe what he was hearing. But it was not a good idea to argue with Sesshoumaru-sama.

"Y-yes, right away Sesshoumaru-sama!"

Kohaku stared up at Sesshoumaru. He didn't know what the demon would do with him, but much to his surprise, Sesshoumaru just began to walk away. He stopped and looked over his shoulder at Rin.

"Do not leave this place. Aun will stay with you while Jaken is gone. Stay here and behave."

"Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama!" Rin said at once. The elegant Youkai continued to walk away. Kohaku just closed his eyes.

------------

Sango's had slept a dreamless sleep the night before. She had hoped for as much. For she was afraid to dream, afraid of what she may dream about. Who she may dream about. Never in her life had Sango been as afraid as she was now. Afraid that she'd lose Miroku as she had lost everyone else she ever loved.

And when she opened her eyes in the morning, a small pink flower was sitting next to her. She looked at it and her eyes filled with tears, for she knew exactly what happened.

"Houshi-sama…"

On the other side of the room, Inuyasha watched the brown haired girl as she lay there and broke down. Losing the last person she had loved. Losing the last bit of her life. The dog-demon sighed, but he knew it was for the best. Personally he had lost all hope of saving Miroku's life, just like Miroku had. And he knew that it was better if he died far away from Sango. Or course they'd be following the monk in a matter of minutes as soon as Sango composed herself. And pretty much --

Inuyasha's thinking was interrupted, however, by Kagome. She was hugging him, and crying into his shoulder. At first he couldn't understand why. It was Sango who should be sad.


"Hey. Why are you crying? Did you have a think for Miroku too?"

"Inuyasha, you're a real baka. You know that?" Kagome said without lifting her head from the hug.

"What do you mean I'm a baka!? You stupid bi--"

And then she kissed him. And Inuyasha shut up. He allowed himself to melt into Kagome's kiss, before he truly realized what was happening. When she broke away she retuned to hugging him and burring her head in his shoulder. It had been a long time since Kagome had kissed him. Not since that time in Kaguya's castle when Inuyasha had become a mindless killing machine and she had broken the spell.


"Sango-chan." Kagome said, breaking away from Inuyasha and moved over to her friend. "We should go look for him."

"No." Sango said. "No Kagome-chan. I, I don't think I can go look for him."

"But Sango, you have to." Kagome said. "You can't just let him go like this! What's wrong with you Sango-chan! We can still save him!"

"That's right." Myoga said from where he was sitting atop Kirara's head. The small yellow cat scratched at the flea, but he jumped onto Shippou's tail.

"Sango-chan." Kagome said, staring her friend in the eyes. "You can't just let the person you love walk away like this. You have to find him, and help him."

Sango closed her eyes and nodded. "Alright Kagome." She spoke so quietly even Inuyasha's ears had a hard time picking it up. "Let's go save him."

------------

"Miroku-dono?"

Haichi was now flying. He had transformed and was carrying the young monk. The only problem was Haichi had only been giving a direction to fly in, no destination.


"No we're not there yet Haichi. I'll let you know."

Miroku was lying on his back. He was still sweating badly, and the pain in his body, especially his right arm, was still horrible. They weren't far now. Far from the place where his father had died. Miroku pushed himself up into a sitting position and looked down as they flew over.

"Otou-san, Sayonara."

And then Miroku lied down again. He was in such pain. Not the pain that burned his body, but the agony that pierced his heart. He knew he would never see Sango again. And that hurt him. It hurt him worse than any pain from Naraku's curse.

Suddenly Miroku looked over the side and realized that they were here.

"Haichi, stop. Drop me off at that tavern."

Haichi didn't understand why Miroku wanted to be dropped off at this tavern, but he did as his master said. He landed and transformed back into a raccoon.

"Goodbye Haichi, I'll miss you." The monk said. He shook the raccoon's hand and then turned and headed towards the tavern. Haichi shook his head and decided that Miroku had gone crazy, and perhaps it was time he went after Inuyasha.

`What were you thinking Haichi!? Miroku's lost all hope for life, hurry up and go find his friends!'

And so Haichi transformed and took off, trying to undo the mistake he had unknowingly done. And as he did Miroku entered the tavern.

"Ah, Houshi, can I help you?" The tavern owner said.

"There is a ominous cloud hanging over your tavern. I can drive out the youkai for you."

-------------

Kirara was flying fast; upon her back were Sango and Shippou. They were making good time. Not far below on the ground Inuyasha was running at a feverous pace, Kagome on his back, and Myoga on his ear.


Inuyasha and Kirara both were following the smell of Miroku and Haichi, which had gone this way. Inuyasha had known since last night that Miroku had left, but he didn't think it would be this hard to pick up a trail.

"Damnit." Inuyasha growled. "Between that rain and the fact that they flew most of the way I'm having a real hard time."

Inuyasha stopped running, and Kirara landed not far away. Sango hadn't spoken much since they left Kaede's village. Not that anyone could blame her. Kagome climbed off Inuyasha's back and sighed. It didn't look good.

"We shouldn't have come." Sango said, taking them by surprise. "We should have left him alone."

"Now don't start that again." Inuyasha snapped. "We both know that we did the right thing following him. Now just stop --"

Suddenly Inuyasha's speaking ended, and he lifted his face up to the sky and began to sniff the air. He smelled something.

"Is it Miroku?" Shippou asked as he stared up at the red robed demon.

"Feh, you wish." Inuyasha said as his hand moved down to Tetsusaiga. Inuyasha's eyes moved around the surrounding woods, they were thick and green, with trunks of rich brown and dirt of the same. And coming through those woods was a smell Inuyasha knew well. And yet then a second scent caught the demon's attention, and he cursed to himself.


"What is it?" Kagome asked, now a bit afraid. "Naraku?"

"Worse." Inuyasha said.

"Hey, Inukoro. What's your dumb ass doing out here?"

Kouga was leaning against a tree; as usual he and Inuyasha had started off the meeting with arguing.

"Kouga-kun!" Kagome said in surprise. "I thought it was something bad, Inuyasha, that wasn't funny making us worry!"

"Shut up baka." Inuyasha said to Kagome. It was then she realized he hadn't even looked at Kouga. And it was then that she noticed Kouga, while taking time to insult Inuyasha, was peering off into the same patch of forest that Inuyasha was.

Then before Kagome knew what was happening something burst from the trees, it was a large demon, its skin was a putrid green and it had a shell like a beetle. Two large pincer claws were protruding out of its head. She'd seen youkai that were much more horrible than this one, but something about the way both Inuyasha and Kouga were paying more attention to it than to each other told her this was no ordinary beetle youkai.

"Feh, are you the best Naraku can do?" Inuyasha growled, he flipped Tetsusaiga out of its scabbard and leapt into the air, bringing the Tetsusaiga down crushingly hard on its head. And even as he did, Kouga leapt forward and kicked the beetle in its stomach, breaking through the skin and letting a glob of green liquid fall out.

"I didn't need your help wimpy wolf!" Inuyasha growled.

"And I don't need you to interfere, Inukoro!" The wolf retorted.

Kagome sighed and suddenly became very angry.


"Inuyasha, we're supposed to be looking for Miroku! We don't have time for you to fight with Kouga! Now come on!"

Inuyasha shot one last venomous glance at Kouga and then sighed.

"You're right Kagome. Listen, Sango, sorry about that I wasn't --"

Inuyasha stopped talking; it occurred to him for the first time that Sango was being even quieter than she had been before. Turning around Inuyasha cursed loudly, spotting Shippou and Kirara, both lying on the ground unconscious, and Sango missing.

"Sango-chan!?" Kagome called.

"Kagome-san." Kouga was suddenly at her side, clasping her hands inside his own. "I will find your friend for you, because I love you."

Inuyasha was fuming mad and began to shout: "We don't need help from baka wolf trash like you!"

"I was helping my woman, not you Inukoro."

"Why you!"

"Oswari."

While Inuyasha was on the ground, unconscious and in pain, Kagome turned to Kouga.

"Please Kouga-kun; I'd appreciate your help. But you have to understand I'm not your woman and -"


"Then I will help you Kagome dearest. And you, Inukoro, you protect my bride a little while longer, ok?"

And with that Kouga was running off at an incredible speed. His wolf pack as well as his two comrades appeared just as he was running off.

"Oh Kouga, do you ever wait for us?" They said as they ran off following him. The waved to Kagome as they did, and she shook her head and went over to help Shippou and Kirara.

"I hate wolves." Inuyasha growled.

-------------

"Hai, Hai, Hai, Hai, Hai!!!!"

"Hey Sashimi, what's wrong with that houshi?"

The tavern run by Sashimi is a popular one in its own small village. Yet earlier on this particular day a monk had appeared, he had quickly exorcized a youkai from the tavern, and then he had sat down to have a cup of sake.

"Ah, Izumo! It's amazing, I never seen someone drink that much sake."

Miroku was drunk. Of course he had less than six days to live, so he had decided that spending one of them drunker than hell wasn't so bad. Of course now he was sitting on a pillow, drinking bottle after bottle of the strongest sake in the village.

"Miroku?"

Izumo was the chief gardener of lord Tsune-sama, whose vanilla scented castle and village wasn't far away. Izumo had been sent by Tsune-sama to find a miko called Kikyo who was supposed to be very skilled at healing people, and now they had decided to spend the night at this tavern. Kikyo was worried because she needed to find her soul snatchers soon, she was feeling queasy, but she'd wait till Izumo was asleep to go to them.

Now however, she spotted that monk, Miroku, one of Inuyasha's friends. He was at this tavern and he was drunk.

"You know that houshi, Kikyo-sama?" Izumo asked.

"Yes. Did he come here with a group of people and a hanyou?" Kikyo asked the taverns owner. The man shook his head.


"He was alone when he came in here."

Kikyo knew that was odd, it was not like any of Inuyasha's friends to be alone.

"Izumo." Kikyo said. "You go on ahead to your lord and tell him I will be there soon. I wish to speak with this houshi."

"But Kikyo-sama, he is drunk." Izumo said.

"I know some herbal remedies for that." Kikyo responded. "Please, respect my wishes Izumo."

"Of course, Miko-sama." Izumo set off towards Tsune-sama's castle, which was still a distance away. Kikyo had a couple of the bar owner's sons carry the now unconscious monk out to the fields behind the tavern, then she bid them to leave her be.

After treating Miroku with some herbs, Kikyo went down to the riverbed and found her soul snatchers with a fresh supply of life for her. By the time she had taken her fill and returned, Miroku was just starting to wake up.

"Houshi."

Miroku's eyes were still unfocused, and the hangover wasn't helping. He knew something was off, because he could feel that he had only slept less than an hour.


"Ehhh… Kikyo?"

Miroku looked up at the dead girl who stood over him and sighed. He had hoped to become drunk and sleep, instead he had found Inuyasha's little love interest.

"Why isn't Inuyasha with you?" The miko asked, her lifeless eyes peering over Miroku. When she looked into his eyes, she could feel death creeping over him. She knew what death felt like, for it was constantly with her.

"You are dying…" Kikyo said gently.

"And you are dead." The houshi responded inaudibly. "Please let me go back to the wine."

Kikyo shook her head. "No. Tell me what happened."

Kikyo's voice was filled with both sympathy and command. And so Miroku, knowing he couldn't get out of it, told her the whole story. Kagura, the orb, Myoga's explanation, how he had left the others in the rainy night, everything.

And when he was done, Kikyo nodded. "Very well. Get your things."

"What?" Miroku was confused by this. "Why?"

Kikyo had already began to walk away, but she turned back around. "Because you're coming with me. I'm on my way into one of Naraku's traps. Perhaps we'll find this blue eye on the way."

And once more Kikyo began to walk away, until Miroku stopped her again.

"Why are you doing this? Aiding me?"

Kikyo turned her head. "You are not my enemy, nor are you my friend. You are a person in need of aid, and I am a miko. It is my duty."

"Is it that, or because I am Inuyasha's friend?" The houshi asked once more.


"If you keep asking questions." Kikyo said, and her voice was now icy. "Then I'll leave you here to get drunk and die."

---------------

Sango didn't know where she was, or how she had gotten there. It was some kind of cavern, which was all she could tell from sight. The walls were dark and there was no light of any kind. She could feel blood trickling down the back of her neck, but she didn't care.

She looked around, but her Hiraikotsu had been left with Kirara when she was knocked out and dragged off. She could partially remember it now. She was watching Inuyasha and Kouga argue, while she herself was worried about Houshi-sama. It was then that she felt a sharp pain in her back, and she the last thing she saw before she fainted was Shippou and Kirara being knocked out as well.

It was then that the young youkai taijiya heard a low, rumbling growl from behind her.

"Sssso, you're awake. Thatssss good. Very good. Come a little closssser."

Sango turned her head to the dark tunnels of the cave, the direction in which she had heard the voice. It was still impossible to see, but somewhere in the distance she saw two tiny yellow pinpoints, like eyes in the far away blackness.

Her thoughts turned back to Miroku, wherever he was.

"Houshi-sama." She said to herself. "Onegai hairu."

----------------------------

Author's Notes

Well, there's chapter three for you. I'm actually starting on four right now, so I may have it up very soon. I hope you all enjoyed this, and will enjoy the next one.

^^

Onegai hairu - Please, I beg you, live long.

Inukoro = "Mutt face", Kouga enjoys calling Inuyasha this.

Ane = A word for sister

Ja ne (See you later)

~ Golden-sama