InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Rewards and Sacrifices ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: Nope. Don’t own it. Oh well. Oh, and there is a major hunk of the first part of the chapter missing. If you want to read it please go to A Single Spark or Mediaminer.org to read the complete version of the chapter.


Chapter Twenty-Six: Rewards and Sacrifices


To use her, to rut with her in her moment of weakness would shatter her trust in me...


To take something so precious, knowing that someday-one day- I would only leave her would have been less of me...


That night I dreamed, of what I cannot remember. These dreams, they wound from one to another, the first barely ending before the next began. It was senseless, yet I could feel something. Something hovered just below the surface.


Something wanted to be known.


Something...had gone wrong...


Deep below the surface, trapped in the dark, foreboding labyrinth of it’s enchantment, golden eyes opened...


And the inu stirred...


(I)


‘This...cannot be good...’


He lay frozen, confused as to where he could be. Sunlight merrily beamed in his face and he blinked before glancing away. He returned to the blank white surface ahead of him, his eyes narrowed slightly and a slight huff escaping from deep in his throat.


‘This is not the forest,’ he determined. ‘So where am...’ Realization hit him suddenly and he reeled, a slight sense of what could only be panic setting over his massive form. ‘I changed here,’ he realized with a mental groan. ‘But how? The pain would have awakened me. How did I not awaken?’ He sat up quickly and noticed right away that his perspective of the world was a bit off. He scratched his arm thoughtfully and paused at what felt like fingernails scratching his skin.


Sesshoumaru looked down slowly, unsteadily, and watched as claw-less fingers spread out and flexed in the early morning light. A slow hand over his face revealed thin eyebrows, sharp nose, and lips-human lips. He blinked slowly, a lifetime’s worth of befuddlement flashing in his light orbs, and dared to glance down at the rest of himself. His torso, chiseled, pale and hairless, came before he threw back the covers, revealing legs that were still encased in the royal blue hakamas from the night before.


‘I...do not understand,’ Sesshoumaru said to himself as one of his big toes twitched reflexively. ‘Had I changed here, would I not be stuck as an inu? Why am I still human?’ He pondered for what felt like hours, his thoughts miles away while his body tensed in anticipation.


‘It is that woman’s spell,’ he inwardly snarled in disgust. ‘It should be expected that something would go wrong with it. What in the world has she done?’ He thought over it a bit more before coming to a decision.


‘Of what can I do?’ he asked himself and glanced out of the window on his side of the bed. ‘There is none that can explain this but the miko and I cannot interrogate her until I am in my canine form. I would suppose that I should enjoy this while I can and spend the rest of the day on-guard. Surely there is something that can be do-‘


Sesshoumaru looked up at a sudden ringing, the sharp pitches abusive to his sensitive ears, and glanced over when the bed began to shift.


()


‘What the. . .what is that?’


Kagome grunted into her pillow, her aggravation at being interrupted during such a wonderful dream loud to her ears as a cellphone began to ring. She remained on her stomach, her eyes closed as she fished around her nightstand for the offensive piece of tech. She patted over her own phone, her fingertips gliding over the rhinestone Hello Kitty sticker on the back, and grasped the vibrating, loud and annoying bit of machinery. She attempted to flip it open, another grunt of aggravation issued at its noncompliance, and remembered that Souta’s phone slid open. She tried it and it worked, the noise finally stopped as she raised the phone to her ear.


“H-um.”


“Um...” came the confused voice on the other end. “Hello?”


Another moan from her part, this one sounding less human and more like an overzealous actor a bad zombie movie. The caller sighed and tried a different approach.


“Um... forgive me for disturbing you at such an hour. My name is Myoug-“


“Myouga?” Kagome mumbled her first word of the day sleepily, her arm bracing her upper half off the bed as she winced at the offending sunlight. “Good morning. How are you?”


“Kagome-san?” came his surprised voice. “Kagome-san, is it you?”


“Yeah, it’s me,” Kagome giggled, her eyes still closed. “How are you?”


“I’m fine my dear,” Myouga answered with a laugh of his own. “These old bones are a bit weary, but nothing I can’t handle.”


“That’s good,” Kagome answered politely. “Is there anything I can do for you?”


“Well yes.” Myouga cleared his throat nervously, then asked, “Is Taisho-san anywhere around?”


“Taishou-san?” Kagome repeated in bewilderment. “Um...” ‘Taishou-san...oh yeah! Sesshoumaru...wait a sec!’ She opened her eyes and glanced around the room, looking first toward her bathroom door before flipping over. Her mouth fell open, her features round in surprise as he gazed down at her.


Sesshoumaru mentally smirked when she stared, her mouth opening and closing like a fish before reaching for the phone. “It is for me, is it not?” She nodded and handed it over at his gesture. He mouthed a quick, “Excuse me,” before standing up and walking out of the room, unaware of her rapt attention as he glided down the hallway toward one of the other bedrooms


()


“Myouga, what is-“


“SESSHOUMARU-SAMA! THANK GOODNESS WE FOUND YOU!!! INUYASHA-SAMA HAS-!”


Sesshoumaru snatched the phone away from his ear immediately, the sudden bells ringing deep in their canals stingily painful. He snapped his teeth at the receiver without thought and was relieved when Myouga fell silent. “Now begin: This time quieter. I am less than displeased with this interruption.”


()

Kagome sat up and peered out into the rest of the house before rubbing her hand along the sheets beside her. They were pleasantly warm and she grinned like a goof in spite of herself. ‘He stayed with me,’ she thought as her grin became wider. ‘All night long...and he’s still here!’ She clapped her hands happily, then blushed at herself and quickly sat on the offending appendages. She gaped at the sudden breeze that dusted along her chest and looked down. She found the haori she wore last night fully open, her bra winking in the early light in the room, and gaped.


“What the-what the heck happened to my clothes?!”


()


“No, Myouga, there is no change,” Sesshoumaru assured the little flea man. “I am still ‘afflicted’.”


“But Sesshoumaru-sama,” Myouga began while Sesshoumaru glanced out of the blinds. The dark PT Cruiser remained where it was parked behind Kagome’s little Beetle, the tiny car with the bright blue flames a glittering reminiscent of it’s owners eyes. “Are you sure? Perhaps you were discovered.”


“I have considered that option and it is not possible.”


“Sesshoumaru-sama, are you sure?” A subtle growl was his answer, the guttural utterance enough reason for the little flea to decide to change the subject.


()


“Oh. My. GOD! What happened?” Kagome patted herself over quickly, her hands going over her shirt, her bra and her underwear. She breathed a sigh of relief at finding everything intact and returned to the matter at hand. She couldn’t help the giddy rush that overwhelmed her and she laughed, the sound elated and carefree, and flopped back onto the bed with one of her pillows over her face to muffle the sound.


()


Sesshoumaru glanced up at the sudden burst of glee, and glanced curiously looked toward the master bedroom. He smirked in masculine arrogance, having guessed the purpose of such an outburst and answered Myouga’s question. “No, not until sometime tonight. Whatever it is will wait until then.”


“But what will you do this afternoon?” Myouga wondered. “Would you like any help?”


“Help is not necessary,” Sesshoumaru replied. “I will call you when I am on my way.”


“Yes Sesshoumaru-sama.” Sesshoumaru hung up without another word and returned the phone to the small duffle bag at his feet. “Now,” he said with a mischievous glint in his hazel orbs. “To find out just what was so amusing...” He returned to Kagome’s bedroom just as she sat up, the bemused smile on her lips brighter than the sun itself.


“Just what is so funny, little one?” he asked and was answered by a light dusting of pink on her cheeks. “I too would appreciate a laugh at this time of morning.”


“Um, it’s nothing,” Kagome muttered bashfully, eyes that were fastened on his well built abs tearing away to stare at the bedsheets below her. “Good morning, by the way.”


“To you as well,” Sesshoumaru replied and leaned against the bedroom’s threshold. He crossed his arms over his chest and waited, for what he wasn’t certain but he was sure that whatever it was it would be interesting.


Kagome picked at the edge of the dark sheets in her hand, the tiny thread that had come unraveled now longer and frazzled like her nerves. Sesshoumaru made her nervous, but not a bad, untrustworthy kind of nervous. She was afraid of what she would do to him, this arrogant specimen of perfection that managed to land his way into her apartment. . . and her heart.

‘I don’t know if I love him or not,’ she reasoned as she continued to pick. ‘But I do care about him...I care about him a lot. I’m just so afraid that I’ll do something to make him leave-‘ She huffed at herself then, a nearly silent ‘hmnh!’ that left her companion more than a little curious.


‘I may like him, but I wouldn’t change myself for him,’ she thought with a smile. ‘If he likes me, then he’ll have to like me for me. Still, I like having him around like this...Speaking of which-‘


“Ask,” came Sesshoumaru’s deep rumbling from between the wooden frames. “As you would say, ‘The suspense is killing me’.”


“You are such a jerk,” Kagome laughed and tossed one of her pillows at him. He dodged it easily, the dark pillow sailing past him into the hallway to land with a cushy thump. “I’m not going to ask until you apologize.” She waited eagerly, her arms crossed and her fingers tapping against her forearms while he stood there and watched her. She huffed, rolled her eyes and said, “I’m not going to get one, am I?”


“Ask your question.”


“Fine. Um...” With her question remembered, her shyness returned and she gazed back down at her lap. “You stayed with me?”


“I did not leave,” Sesshoumaru answered truthfully. His ears twitched at the sudden thudding in them and he crossed the room to sit down beside her. “What is it?” he asked once he tipped her face to his.


“Normally you’re gone when I wake up,” Kagome answered and glanced toward the bathroom door. ‘Anything to get away from those eyes...they could see into your soul.’


“Then you wish for me to take my leav-“


“NO!” Kagome interrupted suddenly, her hands quickly flying to her mouth when he winced. “I’m so sorry Sesshoumaru! I didn’t mean to scream like that. It’s just that...”


“Just what?” he asked at her pause. “What is it?”


“Um...well, when I woke up, I kinda found myself-“ She gestured down at herself, and her open haori. She quickly closed it and blushed furiously. “And I was kinda wondering-well, you know-since it’s supposed to hurt and all that-“


“You remain untouched.”


Relief flooded through her in a great rush and it was only the grace of good sense that kept her from fainting in his arms. “Well,” she said after she collected herself. “That’s a bit of a relief.”

“I believe I have been insulted.”


“What?” Kagome squeaked, a bit bewildered by his sudden change of mood. “Why?”


“That you have so little trust in me, to believe that I would take advantage of you in such a state. I may be an opportunist, Kagome, but I am not-“


“No, that’s not what I meant at all!” She replied and reached across his lap to grasp his hand. “I just meant that-darn it Sesshoumaru!” She huffed when he tried to stand up, grabbed his right hand and pinned it behind her. She scooted into his lap before he could protest and waited until they were nose to nose before she continued.


“I woke up this morning with my clothes missing you jerk!” she said and gave his nose a push with her own. “What was I supposed to think?!”


“That someone removed them,” was his nonchalant response.


“Well duh!”


“And,” Sesshoumaru continued with a shake of his dark head. “Placed you in your bed so you could sleep unencumbered.”


“Du-Oh,” Kagome replied as the wind rushed out of her proverbial sails. “That’s what happened?”


‘Not exactly,’ Sesshoumaru responded to himself. ‘However, that was my intent.’


Kagome took his silence as a positive response and gasped, her hands flying to her face to cover her embarrassment. “Oh God, Sesshoumaru,” she said from behind her hands. “I’m so sorry. You must think I’m so ungrateful.”


“Not at all,” Sesshoumaru replied and rubbed her back when she hugged him. meager attempts at a tight squeeze warmed him, the warmth instantly missed when she pulled back. She touched her forehead to his, her arms still draped around his neck while her fingers played in his hair. “Worry little over my ‘hurt feelings’. You had a concern that was addressed. Now. . .to what do I owe the pleasure of you placed where you are?”


“Huh?” Kagome looked down and flushed again. “I just can’t stop embarrassing myself in front of you, can I?”


“It is my rugged good looks and masculine charm.”


She laughed him, her head shaking in disbelief as she rolled her eyes at him.


“You are so-“ She stopped and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, the left one first then the right before pressing her lips to his. Kagome jumped when he kissed her back, his mouth slanting over hers and his fingertips cradling the back of her head. She relaxed in his hold with a soft sigh as her cyan orbs drifted shut. She trusted him completely, his control over their exchange soothing if not enticing. She touched an ear and grinned when it twitched.


“You’re ticklish,” she whispered while he traced along her jawline. “Who would have thought the ‘great lord’ would be ticklish.”


Sesshoumaru mentally rolled his eyes, the sense of deja vu sudden but not unexpected. He nudged her head to the side gently and used his nose to trace slight circles along her soft, perfumed skin before allowing his tongue to dance along his imaginary lines. He smirked when she shivered and repeated himself, this time slow enough to enjoy her every sound of appreciation. He returned to her lips, his tongue teasing hers into joining him. Kagome participated eagerly if not shyly, her hands fisted tightly in his hair as her legs held steady to his hips.


Sesshoumaru winced but otherwise ignored the pinch of his hair being pulled. ‘Though I prefer her sober participation,’ he thought as he glided his hand along her side to the small of her back. ‘This nervousness is uncomfortable.’ He caressed her back gently, his intentions to comfort and assure her into relaxing. Kagome scooted closer to him in response. Her legs slid farther around him, her knees spread on opposite sides of him as a new twist began to form in her scent.


She should have been scared, Kagome remembered thinking somewhere in the far reaches of her mind, but she couldn’t bring herself to be. Sesshoumaru held her with such comfort that it was easy for her to forget about her past and experience everything he had to offer. His embrace was calm, slow and passionate, as if he had all the time in the world and intended to spend every second with her. He encouraged her past her inexperience and didn’t lose patience at her sudden bouts of shyness. Calloused fingertips grazed her heated skin and she shivered, her heavy moan escaping from their sealed lips.


A dark brow quirked curiously and Sesshoumaru opened his eyes when she reached back and grasped his hand. Their fingers threaded together tightly, her palm pressed to the back of his hand as she sealed his tightly against her skin. She brought his hand up slowly, his heated palm brushing past her stomach toward her ribs. He cupped her breast with her encouragement, her fingers sliding from his hand to his shoulder after giving his hand a confidant pat. Sesshoumaru was surprised, though it didn’t show on his features, and decided to reward her confidence.


A gentle squeeze, a soft caress, and she whimpered, her back arching as the arousal in her scent spiked. It was heady and strong, light in innocence, and highly intoxicating to his recovered senses. His thumb rubbed over lace and satin, the fabric warm in his grasp as a light flush bloomed against her cheeks. His hands went no further than her bindings, his palms and fingertips reveling in her softness. Her moans and gasps of pleasure were like notes on a page and his attentions the only musician that could create the music she so desired.


Sesshoumaru soon grew curious (but not bored) and decided to explore further, his senses tuned in to her every breath as his fingertips began to travel farther south. They ventured slowly, following the curve of Kagome’s breast toward her stomach. His fingernails scratched her heated skin carefully and he smirked when she giggled. Large hands grasped the outside of her thighs and tugged her closer. Kagome’s forehead came to rest against his shoulder, her breath dancing against his neck as she held on to him to keep steady.


Sesshoumaru’s hands were everywhere, and though the haze Kagome blushed, uncertain as to what to do. She wanted to touch him but didn’t know where to start or if he even wanted her to. She jumped, a tiny squeak of uncertainty escaping her parted lips when his thumb caressed the silk of her panties. He stopped but didn’t pull back, golden orbs fixated on her face as she blushed and looked away.


Sesshoumaru whispered her name and frowned when she continued to look aside, her blush darkening to envy the reddest of roses. He grasped her chin gently and brought her face to his, cyan connecting with a gold that glittered in the morning sun.


“I will not hurt you,” he promised innocent wide orbs. “I will stop if it is what you wish but I will not hurt you.” His voice, low and husky with want, further cut through the fog that his ministrations created. She blinked as if in slow motion and frowned thoughtfully.


‘Her fear is dissipating,’ Sesshoumaru noted while he allowed her to think. ‘Thank the gods for that.’ Her scent during his influence was additively sweet, with notes of spice that sparked with every pass of his fingers. Her fear, offensive and unexpected, had been a sensory wallop on his nose and he couldn’t help the mental whine that sliced through his high.


“Kagome?”



“Um...&# 8221;


“You may keep these on,” he offered a boon, his thumb again savoring the warm, slick fabric at her core. Kagome huffed quietly at his arrogance but considered his offer.


‘If you can call it that. . .males and their egos...’


Still, what could be the harm in continuing? Sesshoumaru had yet to hurt her, had gone far past hurting her to give her something she never thought she would experience. His touch was amazing, almost as if he somehow knew what would send her spiraling. He paid attention to her and was concerned, genuinely concerned for her and her wishes. She felt wanted, cared for, and desired, not used only to be tossed aside. She looked up and found him waiting, his hands pressed steady as hooded orbs gazed into her own.



“I. . .” she began, unsure as to what to say. “I. . .don’t know what to do.” He smiled down at her, his first true one since their meeting and kissed her forehead.


“Do what you will,” he replied softly. “You cannot hurt this Sesshoumaru.”


“I know that you jerk. I was just-“ She gasped, complaint forgotten when his thumb brushed against her again, this time directly over the dark curls of her jewel. She was blinded, not knowing if her eyes had closed or her sight had been robbed from her as wave after wave tossed her into a pleasure so intense it left her breathless and weak in the knees. . .


Good thing there was someone else supporting her weight.


Rounded human ears twitched at her every whimper and Sesshoumaru took in a sharp breath of his own when her lips found purchase at his shoulder. Her nails dug into his back desperately, her tongue lavishing the strong muscle underneath his pale skin with every stroke. Every little noise she made was maddening, each whimper and groan of desire sparking from his ears to his sex in a white hot electric current. He was painfully hard beneath her, his body sensitized to the point where the simple brush of her eyelashes was erotic. Sesshoumaru’s attraction to his little woman was strong, stronger than anything he’d ever known ant it was sheer willpower that held him to his promise.


Kagome cried out suddenly, her back ramrod straight as she lost herself in her completion. Her teeth, once so gentle and teasing, bit down with a force he didn’t know she had. It surprised him into nearly losing himself along with her, unaware of the sudden flash of pink that darkened his eyes as he calmed down.


“Well,” Sesshoumaru began, his hand drawing away from her soaked panties to caress her thighs once again. “Are you still with me?”


Her laugh was his answer as she looked up at him, a tiny droplet of his blood staining her lips a dark crimson . “You should come with a warning label,” Kagome replied and licked her lips. Sesshoumaru repressed a groan of his own as the little pink muscle darted out and he kissed her again, their lips sealed while their tongues danced between them.


“There is more...” he offered once they parted. Kagome blinked, surprised, as he gently pressed her back to the bed.


“And you could show me?”


Sesshoumaru smirked, then kissed her bellybutton. “Perhaps-“ He blinked and Kagome blushed when her stomach, long forgotten about until now, growled with the intensity of a beast on the prowl.


“Oh God,” she groaned, her hands over her face in embarrassment while Sesshoumaru’s chuckle filled the room. “How embarrassing. Why do these things keep happening?”


“I do not know little miko,” he replied and stood up. “But perhaps we should feed that monster first.” He picked her up before she could reply, her long legs wrapped firmly around his narrow hips and her dark hair swirling around them as her laugher filled the room and the stairway beyond.



(II)


Noontime found the pair taking a leisurely walk through the park near Kagome’s townhouse. To Sesshoumaru everything seemed new during the daylight hours, hours he normally spent no higher than Kagome’s waist. With his added height and sharpened senses he found that he could appreciate what little nature still existed on Tokyo’s suburban west side. The chattering of squirrels, fresh from their winter’s sleep, sounded brightly in his ears. Birds flew overhead, their chirping welcome to spring touched his supernatural hearing. His environment was a sudden orchestra of sights, sounds and scents and he couldn’t help but feel a bit appreciative.

But just a bit though.


Wouldn’t want Hell to freeze over or anything.


Kagome bounced along ahead of him, bright cobalt orbs sparkling as she stole glances over her shoulder at her companion. His gait was steady and calm, far from her excited bounces and skips, his dark suit contrasting greatly with the sparkling afternoon. The park was already crowded, though not as badly as it would be once school let out. Businessmen, elderly people and joggers all milled past them, a couple of them glancing up and smiling at Kagome when she waved.


“Sesshoumaru?” she called out as she turned around. Hazel eyes, lightened to an amber in the sunlight, found her instantly, their intensity startling once he gave her his undivided attention.


‘Such thoughts cannot be healthy,’ Sesshoumaru reprimanded himself as he focused, not on her face, but on her legs as she pirouetted to him. They were long and lean, like the legs of a dancer, and memories of those gorgeous legs wrapped around his hips sent a tremor of excitement racing through his ever-changing blood.


Kagome blushed at the sudden heat in his gaze and looked away bashfully, her fingers tugging at the hemline of her sweater as she remembered this morning. She’d never allowed a man to touch her the way he had and honestly couldn’t regret it. He was. . .well, wonderful and thinking about it left her feeling a bit weak in the knees.



Sesshoumaru watched as her blush spread, first up into her hairline before traveling further south, deep underneath the short sleeved knit that hugged the curves and dips of her upper body. ‘And what a beautiful little body it is,’ he remarked with a mischievous smirk. ‘Graceful neck, lovely arms, voluptuous, pert breasts and legs that any youkai female would envy-No!’ He mentally shook away his amorous thoughts and focused on the matter at hand, being Kagome as she wavered in front of him. He reached out quickly, grasped her elbows and pulled her into his broad chest.


“My, my,” he teased as her blush only darkened. “You seemed to have lost your footing, little miko. What appears to be the trouble?”


He chuckled at her groan and set her to rights, waiting patiently for her to regain her composure before smirking. “I have had many women fall for this Sesshoumaru, but never literally.”


“You are such a jerk,” Kagome growled and wacked his upper arm. He chuckled again and smiled when she covered her face with her hand, her fingers splayed helplessly across her face.


“You wanted something dear miko,” he purred once his amusement subsided. “What was it?”


‘Dear miko?’ Kagome blinked in surprise. ‘Oh, um...’


“Kagome. I am waiting.”

“Patience is a virtue Sesshoumaru,” she remarked with a coy smile. He nodded thoughtfully, his eyes closing briefly before glancing back at her.


“So it is,” he replied as he took the first of many steps toward a nearby bench. “It is not, however, one that this Sesshoumaru is interested in.”


“I’m going to clock him,” Kagome growled to herself. “I’m so going to-oh forget it. Do you want any ice cream Your Majesty?”


“Ice cream?” She stopped at his quirked brow and nodded.


“Yeah, ice cream. You know, frozen cow juice. Ice cream.”


“I do not see how I can refuse,” Sesshoumaru remarked dryly. “After such a tempting description.”


“Oh come on, it’s my treat.” She waved her tiny yellow clutch threateningly. “So what kind do you want? I know you’re allergic to chocolate so what else?” She waited for about four seconds, then threw up her hands and walked away, mumbling something about difficult men and their machismo complexes.


‘Such a funny little human,’ Sesshoumaru silently remarked as he watched her make a beeline for the nearest ice cream cart. The sunlight danced off of the tiny yellow flower buds imprinted on the fabric of her skirt, the swirl of the mostly white material caressing her skin. ‘One that is sure to drive this Sesshoumaru insane, no matter what form I take.’ He glanced up and watched the clouds drift by overhead, his thoughts a million miles away as Kagome returned with the ice cream.


She held a cone in each hand, one that was green tea (since he drank so much of it) and the other a new kind the vendor let her sample. She bought a cone of it almost instantly, the sudden hit of chocolate hidden deceptively by it’s snow white form.


‘White chocolate custard,’ she said to herself as she gave the cone a happy lick. ‘This stuff could be addictive. Now where is h-‘ She stopped, mesmerized, and watched while Sesshoumaru remained unaware, his eyes focused on the clouds above. Hazel orbs drifted with the movement of certain clouds and he seemed at peace, almost happy.


‘Could he ever look at me like that?’ she wondered as she too glanced up at the sky. ‘I know that he might not want to get married again, but maybe. . .just mayb-‘


“Is that mine?”


Kagome jumped, her frozen treats nearly taking a tumble in the process, and gasped for breath, her heartbeat racing at his sudden intrusion on her thoughts. She opened her eyes and found him sitting down, his hand on the free space beside him, his head cocked lazily to the side as he watched and waited.

‘He’s always waiting on me,’ Kagome said to herself as she sat down. ‘Always patient. . .’


She passed the green cone over shyly, her eyes locked to his as she motioned for him to take it.


‘Always attentive. . .’


He reached out slowly, that same maddingly sexy smirk on his lips.


‘Always arrogant. . .’


His fingers caressed hers, the long, strong digits tender and expressive as his other hand stroked her cheek.


‘I believe. . .I might just love him. . .’


His lips touched hers and she was lost, the afternoon and the ice cream forgotten as she pressed her lips to his.


(III)


Kagome sat on her couch, her feet tucked underneath her, and glanced out the window at the darkening sky. She sighed, her eyes closing briefly before turning back to the tv. A gentle smile bloomed on her lips as she reminisced over the day. ‘I can’t believe he spent all day with me,’ she thought happily. ‘I’m sure he had something else to do...which is why he’s leaving in a few minutes.’ Her smile faded and she looked up as the downstairs bathroom door opened and Sesshoumaru stepped out, his fingers at the knot of his tie.


He stopped when he caught her staring and smirked, his smirk widening at the blush that instantly appeared on her cheeks.


“Are you sure you have to go?” Kagome asked and stood up. She stepped into his embrace easily, gentle sapphire orbs drifting closed as she listened to his steady heartbeat. “I mean, I understand if you do but-“


“I do not wish to,” he said and paused so she could look up at him. “However, there are things my brother and I should discuss.”


“Oh, I see.” She returned her head to his chest and sighed, her breath dancing past the buttons of his shirt to touch his skin. “Then I guess I’ll see you next month?”


He pressed his lips to the crown of her head and nodded. “Of this you can be assured.” She released him and made the slow walk toward her front door. She opened it and, before he could step through it’s threshold, pressed a quick kiss to the corner of his mouth. She blushed again and accepted his goodbye before watching him leave down her cobblestone walkway.

‘It is becoming increasingly harder to leave this creature,’ Sesshoumaru mused as he unlocked the car door and sat down at the driver’s seat. ‘Surely this train of thought, and behavior, is dangerous. It would only lead to her disfortune. Still...’ He glanced back, golden eyes regretful as Kagome waved from the other side of her screen door.


‘Still nothing. The decision has been made.’ He started the car and drove away, leaving Kagome to sigh before closing her heavy wooden door.


“I miss him already,” she whined to herself as she flopped down onto the sofa. She sat there and allowed the tv to entertain itself, her thoughts far away when she noticed something.


“Hey,” she said and sat up. “Where’s Chance? I haven’t seen him since yesterday.” She called for him, then pouted and said,


“Hmmm. . .that’s weird. How long has he been gone?”


(End chapter)


SF :Yeah, this chapter is kinda short but-


Sango: There’s lots of fluff, right Kagome?


Kagome: (blush)


Miroku: And lots of...other things, ne Sesshoumaru-sama?


Sesshou: (grrrrrr)


SF: Oh stop that. You know you like this story. The both of you like this story.


Sesshou: You, crossed one, are truly insane.


SF: Is that a new nickname? Wow, I’m touched.


Shippou: (from offstage) Can I come in now?


SF: Sure.


Shippou: Can I do the summary too?

Inu-chan: Hey! Damnit, I wanna-


SF: Sure buddy. Go ahead.


Inu-chan: It’s not fair! Why does she always bend to that little whelp?!


Kagome: Inuyasha, be nice. Shush.


Shippou: (bouncing over to the TV) OK, let’s get this started!


Summary: The aftereffects of Kagome’s day shine for the world to see, though the reason why isn’t as obvious. Shippou notices a change as well, both in Kagome and his grandmother. A cry for help is refused but not without an alternative.


Next Chapter: Chapter Twenty-Seven: Ch-ch-ch-changes