InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Lives ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Second Lives
Two

The look on InuYasha’s face was priceless as the white haired boy looked at her in surprise. “Reincarnated?” he repeated.

Kagome nodded as they walked through the forest towards the bone well, the black haired young woman’s return route home to the twenty first century. “Both Sango and Miroku,” she told him, “but they’re both women.”

InuYasha looked amused by the thought as the half wolf demon helped hoist her up on the wooden edge of the well, “Is the other Miroku a letch too?”

“Pretty much,” Kagome agreed as she remembered how the dark haired woman had discretely groped her teacher’s ass.

“Well, good luck,” InuYasha took a step backward, “see you in about a day?”

“If not sooner,” Kagome agreed as she leapt down into the well.

There was always a feeling of vertigo as Kagome fell down at first, then the directions seemingly reversed as she rose up into the well of her own time period. She reached the top and clambered out, looking up as the shrine’s pet cat gave her a amused look from where Buyo sat on the walkway around the well building.

The sun was shining as Kagome headed out of the building towards her house, weary but eagerly awaiting the possibility of a warm bath and one of her mother’s dinners. “I’m home,” she called as she entered, slipping her shoes off.

“Thank goodness you’re home,” her mother exclaimed as she hurried in and hugged her, “I was worried the demons....”

“Demons?!” Kagome’s eyes widened.

“Come on,” her grim faced mother lead her through the house to the room with the TV, “it’s on all the stations.”

Kagome watched in shock as a grim faced newspaper reporter talked about a monster attack, the slaughtering of archeologists and fires in a nearby town, the very same town that Kagome had recently visited on a school trip. “The creatures who can only be called demons,” the reporter said, “appear to have emerged from a cave nearby the archeological site. The army and police are investigating, and asking residents to stay calm and remain in their homes.”

“They’re not going to be able to do anything,” Kagome muttered to herself, frowning fiercely. ‘Is this connected to the Jewel of Four Souls?’ she wondered, ‘Or some legacy from Sango’s village of monster hunters?’

Grandfather looked at her from where he sat nearby, “You intend to go help?”

Kagome sighed, already tired but also determined, “I don’t see any other choice.” She turned back to the entrance as she murmured, “But I’m going to need some help.”

Several hours and a harrowing bus trip later InuYasha sighed as they got off the bus, grumbling, “I still think you should have just let me smack that lady.”

“Why did I even think taking you on the bus was a good idea?” Kagome sighed, shaking her head in resignation.

Going back down the well and convincing InuYasha to come help had been the easy part, getting them to the ruins of Sango’s village had been torture. On the other hand there was no way they could cycle there, and no magical means of getting there presented itself.

Adjusting the baseball cap that concealed his dog-like ears InuYasha sniffed the air. “Youkai,” he said grimly, “I can smell them.”

“Then let’s head to the village,” Kagome said as they set out, carefully hoisting the bow case over her shoulder. Since first traveling to the past she had reluctantly begun mastering the bow, and while not an expert she had become reasonably skilled with it.

The trip through town felt oddly surreal to Kagome, remembering the pristine modern town and seeing the now burning wreckage, the gory remains of monestrous creatures still laying in the street as the city recovered their dead.

“Where were the demon hunters?” InuYasha wondered as they moved to the edge of town and out to the archeological site.
“We don’t have them any more,” Kagome said patiently, “just army and police.”

“Well,” InuYasha noted as they picked their way through the now badly damaged site towards the main camp, “your army and police don’t seem to do a very good job.”

Kagome was tempted to yell sit at him, but he had a point. They weaved through the pits at the archeological site, heading towards the mountain behind the village where the legendary priestess had defeated the army of demons, and in the process accidentally created the Jewel of Four Souls.

Off in the distance they heard a rumble, then Kagome’s eyes widened as she saw the far away shapes emerging. Slinging the bow case from her back she pulled out the weapon as she warned her companion, “They’re coming!”

“Good,” InuYasha gave a feral smile as they hurried forward to meet them. Drawing a bit of his own blood to coat his claws he yelled. “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!” Swiping his claws he sent blades of energized blood to tear through the demons, staggering them even as Kagome’s arrows zipped by into other targets.

‘There’s not too many,’ Kagome thought with relief as she drew and fired, sending arrows inscribed with harms into the demons. Her eyes widened as a familiar shape ripped through the air, then gasped as a massive bone boomerang tore through demons like paper.

“Sango?!” InuYasha blurted out in surprise as his eyes followed the boomerang’s path down, then blinked as two familiar but different figures appeared on a rise. ‘Kagome’s right.’ he thought wryly, ‘they DO look alike.’

Dr. Setsuna Coral caught the boomerang awkwardly but with a growing ease, as if each tile she did it old memories and skills returned to her. Her long black hair was tied back in a pony-tail while her jeans and leather jacket provided mobility and some degree of armor too.

Beside her Mutsumi Yuhino wielded a improvised staff, the taller young woman a bit battered but still unbowed by the conflict. Her black clothes were dusty and her face smudged with dirt, but she still managed a roguish charm even as she flattened any of the demons that got near. It wasn’t long before the demons retreated, and panting they headed towards where Kagome and InuYasha were.

“Miss Hhigurashi,” Setsuna said thoughtfully as the two groups met, “why am I not surprised to find you here?”

“Ma’am,” Kagome smiled back a bit sheepishly, “it’s a bit of a long story.”

“I bet it is,” Mutsumi agreed, looking at InuYasha with raised eyebrows as he noticed the young man’s dog ears and other odd traits.

“We don’t have time for this,” InuYasha said curtly, “where did these things come from and do you know why?”

Setsuna gave InuYasha a look but answered, “Shortly before the... things attacked, we sent a team in to explore the caves.”

Kagome frowned as she looked at InuYasha and asked, “Do you think something was sealed in the cave?”

“It would fit,” InuYasha nodded slightly. He smiled a bit too eagerly, “We’ll need to go in there and re-seal it.”

“We’re coming with you,” Setsuna said firmly.

“Oh no you’re not,” InuYasha said rudely, “I’ll have a hard enough time just protecting Kagome much less....”

“Protecting?” Kagome growled, “SIT, boy!” With a startled cry the necklace of sacred beads InuYasha wore drove him head first into the turf. Looking up at Setsuna Kagome simply asked her, “Why?”

Setsuna hesitated, “Well, two reasons. Firstly, that is a historical treasure trove, and Mutsumi can at least witness it. Secondly, some of my associates may have unleashed the demons, it seems we have a responsibility to help stop them.”

“Besides,” Mutsumi added, “one of my areas of interest is ancient Japanese folklore. You might need me to help restore whatever sealed the demons up.”

“It’ll be dangerous,” Kagome cautioned.

Setsuna hefted the bone boomerang that had once belonged to Sango, her past self, as she answered, “I think we can manage.”

To be continued....