InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Lives ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Second Lives
Three

Kagome felt a eerie familiarity as they advanced on the cave, seeing InuYasha leading the way and Setsuna and Mutsumi at her side. The two women weren’t the same as Sango and Miroku, but they felt similar and that was a comfort to her, along with the flashlights and other gear they had salvaged from the camp. But unlike past trips there was a ominous air about the place, as if something frightening were about to happen again.

The opening of the cave was a bit smoother than Kagome remembered, the stones having been scoured by centuries of wind and rain. Within was dark but off in the distance there was a light, a eerie glow coming from somewhere in the depths of the earth.

“No musty smell,” Setsuna noted quietly, “the air’s fresh?”

Mutsumi looked around them eagerly, her eyes taking in all the details. “Do you see that carving?” she pointed, “It’s consistent with the warring states period....”

“Yeah, so?” InuYasha huffed.

“It’s a warning,” Mutsumi frowned as she bent forward to read, “do not break the seals, or disaster will befall you.”

“That’s pretty clear,” Kagome winced, guessing that the earlier archeological team had likely done just that.

“Could you check if I read it correctly, Miss Kagome?” Mutsumi asked from where she knelt by the inscription.

“Sure, I....” Kagome stepped forward and bent a bit, only to feel Mutsumi pat her ass!

“Oooh, nice....” she purred, Mutsumi smirking slightly.

“Mutsumi!” Setsuna smacked her across the head as a blushing Kagome leapt back.

“Letch!” Kagome yelped, her cheeks fiery red.

“Sorry,” Mutsumi got up, winking, “I just couldn’t resist.”

“You’d better resist,” InuYasha growled, the white haired dog-demon advancing on her dangerously “or I’ll....”

Setsuna sighed even as she said, “She didn’t mean it, sir.” She gave Mutsumi a look, “Besides, I’ll take care of punishing her later.”

Kagome almost laughed at how pale Mutsumi went at that threat. Clearing her throat she said, “We should get moving.”

Soon they reached the petrified form of Midoriko and the fused demon Magatsushi, both Setsuna and Mutsumi gazing in awe at the figure. They went around as the path continued, going deeper into the ground as the eerie light grew brighter.

“She’s beautiful,” Setsuna was heard to whisper, “but so sad, too.”

The tunnel began to widen as they heard noises up ahead, the skittering of claws on stone providing a disturbing counterpart to the voices. Gesturing them to be silent InuYasha led them closer, eventually peering around a tunnel opening into a larger chamber.

They looked human at first glance, but the way they moved was almost alien, their eyes shining as they stood in front of the end of the tunnel. Where the rock cracked a green light shone forth, reminding one of decaying flesh and rotting plants, the opposite of life giving. As the light pulsed it congealed, eventually forming a small, demonic creature that crawled away to wait with others of it’s time.

“We must crack the barrier more,” the taller, lanky figure hissed like a snake, “this is taking too long.”

“Show me how to do it without being consumed,” the female answered, her form almost catlike as she peered at the rift, “we can’t touch it, it never would have even opened up without those fool humans.”

Kagome sighed sadly as their thoughts were confirmed, giving a sympathetic glance to Setsuna and Mutsumi. ‘I wonder if they’re still...?’ she thought.

“We’ve got to stop them before they make too many more of those things,” InuYasha growled to the others quietly as they ducked away from the demons, “are you ready?”

“I think so,” Kagome agreed, “got a plan?”

“Kagome and I can deal with the smaller demons,” Setsuna surprised them by saying confidently, “InuYasha, you go after the leaders.”

InuYasha thought about it then nodded reluctantly, “That makes some sense.”

Mutsumi was frowning thoughtfully, “Try to lead them away from the rift. I think I saw fragments of scrolls and ropes nearby, it might be the remnants of a spell of some kind.”

“Can you put it back together?” Kagome asked her.

“I can try,” Mutsumi said honestly.

“Then let’s do this,” Kagome took a deep breath, unslinging her bow from her back and notching a arrow.

InuYasha lead the charge with a snarling cry as Kagome fired arrows, sending them into the writhing mass of stunned young demons. With a grunt Setsuna sent the bone boomerang flying, scything through the stunned beasts as it returned swiftly to her hands.

“Why are you doing this?” the thin demon cringed from one of InuYasha’s blows, “You’re like we are!”

“I don’t think so,” InuYasha said as his attacks forced them away from the rift.

Mutsumi crept forward, staff in hand then swiftly began sorting through the torn pieces, putting them together like a jigsaw puzzle. Her tongue stuck out between her teeth as she worked, seemingly oblivious to the chaos around her.

Arrows shimmering with spiritual energy Kagome dispatched the last of the demons, then turned as she watched InuYasha fight. ‘There’s no opening,’ she thought with some frustration, ‘I can’t fire without hitting InuYasha!’

Setsuna looked equally frustrated, then gasped as InuYasha disemboweled a demon with a single swipe of his claws. The tall one staggered back, clutching his stomach, then as InuYasha turned to face the woman Setsuna instinctively threw, a single blow from her massive weapon putting the creature out of it’s pain.

“Kagome,” Mutsumi called, “I need your help.”

Reluctantly turning from the battle Kagome hurried over, but hesitated once she was near. “Watch the hands,” she warned.

“Awww,” Mutsumi sighed. She gestured to the papers arrayed in front of her, “I think I’ve reassembled the wards, but they need to be repaired.”

“Ah....” Kagome hesitated, wracking her thoughts as she tried to think of what to do. “All right,” she marshaled her spiritual power, a faint glow building around her, “let’s try....”

“No!” the cat woman yelped as it leapt to stop them only to be clobbered by Setsuna even as InuYasha swiped at her exposed back.

With a burst of power Kagome channeled her spiritual power into the broken seals, triggering them once more. Swirling in midair they swept over the oozing crack in the cave, shutting the flow of otherworldly energy down and sealing it up once more. The eerie light faded swiftly, the final demon fleeing as they tried to get the flashlights working once more.

“That was... incredible,” Mutsumi admitted as they emerged once more into the daylight, the ominous feeling that had hung over the site now gone.

“And strange,” Setsuna conceded as the older woman gave Kagome a piercing look. Thoughtfully she said as she hefted the massive boomerang, “It shouldn’t have been possible for me to master this so quickly....”

“Well...,” Kagome smiled weakly.

Mutsumi nodded as she also looked at InuYasha and Kagome, “And while I know my stuff, this was a bit beyond me. How did this all happen?”

Kagome smiled weakly, “Ah....”

InuYasha got tired of that pretty quickly and said, “It’s because you’re both reincarnates.”

Both Setsuna and Mutsumi looked at him in surprise, “What?!”

Kagome glared at InuYasha as she sighed, “It’s a long story.”

End

Notes: This may not be the ABSOLUTE end, as I find the idea of these two characters continuing to show up in the InuYasha verse amusing. We’ll see if I have another good story idea with them.