InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Seen from afar ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
Seen from afar
 
“No!”
“Kagome-sama, how can that be true?”
“Don't you believe in Kagome-chan, Houshi-sama?”
“Why Sango, of course I do, but - “
“It's ok Sango-chan. It DOES sound rather silly from this time's point of view. The moon is often linked to demons here, I guess...like Kaguya-hime or Usagi no Tsukino... but humans really HAVE been on the moon! Or, not yet, but they will be.”
“But why would they want to go there, Kagome?”
 
Inuyasha pretended not to listen to what his friends were discussing. He lay on his side, his eyes closed to block out the firelight and one hand lazily scratching his fire-rat clad chest. His perked ears ached to twitch, but he made sure to keep them rigid. A minor tilt of one ear would give away his interest on the topic to Kagome and he did not feel like doing that just now. Showing interest would lead to him being forced to participate, and he knew from experience he would learn a lot more by listening than discussing.
 
“Look at the moon and the stars, Shippou-chan. They are beautiful, aren't they?” Kagome asked.
“Yeah?”
“Well, some humans aren't content with just gazing at beauty from afar. They want to go close, to touch and feel the beauty.”
“Oh, how I know it!” Miroku said and inched his hand towards Sango's rear.
 
Sango punched him half-heartedly, unwilling to be distracted.
 
“Was the moon as beautiful in close-up, Kagome-chan?”
“No, it turned out it wasn't. But they found out that the Earth looks as beautiful from the moon as the moon looks beautiful from the Earth. In fact, some of them said that sight alone was worth the hardship of going to the moon.”
“So the beauty they sought wasn't here, but instead they found a new beauty in their own home when seeing it from a distance”, Miroku mused.
 
Shippou made a happy sound and stated:
 
“Just like you then, Kagome! Haven't you said yourself that being here have made you revalue the benefits of your home?”
 
Inuyasha focused on laying perfectly still despite the tension in his body and mind while Shippou ranted away.
 
“Like with your ninja bag of tricks! Using them here have made your realise how good they really are, haven't you? And you always talk about your soft bed and running water too! Being here helped you see that, didn' it?”
“Shippou-chan!” Sango interrupted.
 
The kitsune yokai might have a point, but there was no way the hanyou's mood would be good come days with thoughts like that in his head. True enough, Inuyasha had already knitted his eyebrows and a scowl began to show on his face.
 
Everyone knew Inuyasha did NOT like to think of Kagome going to or being in her time, and he straight out hated the thought of her wanting to stay there. And if his now wildly twitching ears was a trustworthy indication, he was fuming inside because of what Shippou said. His outburst was propably just seconds away when -
 
“Actually, in that case it's more like the other way around.”
 
Inuyasha perked his ears up again by the sound of Kagome's calm voice. Normally when she tried to cover up one of Shippou's blunt remarks, she would sound rushed and stress the words. Now she even allowed a few seconds of silence before continuing:
 
“I've red and learnt about the Feaudal Era since I was a child. I red about all the battles, the political changes, the hardships. I thought I knew how it used to be -how it would be in this time. But coming here...”
 
Kagome paused and Inuyasha had to open his eyes to watch her. She sat with her arms around her bended knees, slightly slumped forward. The fire illuminated her half-lidded eyes and her gentle smile. She looked as if she was reminicing something very dear and for a moment, Inuyasha felt as if they were sharing a private conversation due to the intimacy her posture led on.
 
“Coming here, I learnt I had been very wrong in my believes. I didn't know the air would be so clean. I didn't know the people would be just like back home: some bad, some good, mostly simply struggling on in life and finding joy despite all the hardships. I didn't know the land could be so vivid, so lively and so beautiful and so full of wonders.”
 
Kagome turned her gaze towards first Kirara, then Shippou, then Inuyasha.
 
“And I didn't know about yokai or hanyous. I didn't even know they existed.”
 
Inuyasha felt a blush creep up his cheeks when Kagome let her gaze linger on him a little too long before turning back to Shippou to sum up:
 
“Coming here did indeed make me see the benefits of my time clearer, but also the errors of it. We think we know so much, but we don't. And there's worse. The pollution in the air, the electricity that dims out the starlight, the time we sometimes waste away on things that are really not that important...”
“Like school!” Inuyasha bit out.
 
Kagome glared at him briefly but let the remark slip. She did not continue and a silence fell over camp. Sango pondered what had been said.
 
“I really can't sum up what this conversation has taught us... it follows so many tracks.”
 
Miroku smiled towards her before he leaned back and setteled himself in a comfortable position.
 
“Perhaps it is just time to admire the beautiful moon and leave all thoughts for later?”
 
Everyone silently agreed and tilted their heads upwards, gazing at the nearly full moon looming above them - save for one. Inuyasha's eyes were secretly fixed on a beautiful face illuminated by firey flames, his own eyes thoughtful.
 
Humans had gone to the moon in order to see if it was as beautiful when seeing it close up. It hadn't been, but from there the Earth had been more beautiful to them. Kagome had thought the Feudal Era to be a terrifying time, or so it seemed, but she'd been pleasently surprised and her home fell short in some aspects in comparation. Could that mean....?
 
 
 
 
 
The end!
 
 
 
(A/N: I often get requests to continue my one-shots, but these small moments as I call them is my speciality. Development from there is not my departement. If people want more, anyone's free to use my text as a base and continue, as long as I get some credit for the work I've done. I would like for people to review. Even a short comment like “well, this was useless” is worth something to me. Then I know at least. Thank you.)