InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Seven Circles of Hell ❯ The Sixth Circle: Part One ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Sixth Circle

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

The rhythmic dripping of rain into a small puddle of water that lay not too far away was enough to arouse the sleeping girl, bringing her from the deepest sleep she'd ever experienced. Her eyelids were still heavy, and her mind could not distinguish dream from reality. During the split second longer that Kagome was unable to grasp reality, she was happy. She thought that she was camping like she used to, with Shippo snuggled next to her inside the sleeping bag.

She thought that Inuyasha was alive.

When reality struck, a searing pain tore through her heart, and she was on the verge of tears. Yes, Inuyasha was really gone. And what of the others? What happened to Sango and Miroku? Were they okay? The last time she'd seen them, they'd both been injured by Naraku. Miroku had foolishly used his wind tunnel again and sucked in the poisonous insects. He had been taken down almost instantly.

Sango on the other hand had made it through the battle as far as Kagome knew. But, Kagome thought bitterly, she didn't have her poison mask with her when Naraku used his smoke attack. On the other hand--Kagome raised her eyebrows and shifted her glance from the left corners of her eyes to the right, tilting her head slightly as her eyes moved--the last time I shot at Naraku with my arrow, I rendered the fumes harmless. So for all I know, both Sango and Miroku are still alive. Shippo should be okay because we left him with Kaede.

Kagome's face fell. But how will he take the news about Inuyasha?

A raindrop fell smack dab in the middle of the camper's forehead, which she took as a sign that she should get a move on. As she stood, she clutched the Tetsusaiga close to her heart, and she could almost swear that the sword was in pain.

Maybe it's sad, Kagome reflected. The sword knows these things. Maybe it misses its master. I miss its master, too.

Kagome groaned as she reached the edge of the forest she'd camped in for the night. Rain was pouring from the sky. Not only did she have to walk in this weather, she was lost. And she felt hopeless.

As little as she wanted to hear a pep talk at this point, she boosted herself with one anyway. It can always be worse. It can always be worse.

"It can ALWAYS, ALWAYS be worse!" she shouted, trying to convince herself to believe what she was saying, although, to her, now, it didn't seem true at all.

This reincarnation of the priestess Kikyo continued to trek through the rain, not caring what effects her acts might have on her later. Sickness be damned, she thought.

The rain wouldn't stop, not even for a moment. It was almost as if the heavens were trying to beat down on her for having destroyed another. Yesterday, the hills were steep and the roads were long. Today, the hills were steeper and the roads were longer, and to put icing on the bittersweet cake, the paths were nothing but mud. What this teenage girl wouldn't give to be back in her own time with an umbrella, walking on cement sidewalks.

Or better yet, in bed, just waking up, so I can convince myself that this was all a dream. Kagome hugged the Tetsusaiga closer. I'm becoming so bitter in such a short amount of time. Of course I'm bitter, spoke a daeker voice that hid deep inside Kagome's mind. I've just lost someone very important to me. And I'll never get him back.

Shouldn't I be exhausted by now? Or is it I just don't care anymore?

The young woman had been walking for hours now, sinking into her own thoughts, allowing herself to be dragged down into a deep state of depression. The only thing that perhaps lightened the girl's mood was the bridge she found to the other side of the river.

It looked safe enough, about as sturdy as any other bridge in the feudal era that she'd crossed over. Stepping up to the edge of the rickety old bridge, Kagome glanced down to the waters below. With all the rain that was falling, the river was rising, and the currents were moving faster. If she fell down now, she would surely be killed. Kagome stared down at the rushing water below, thinking for a moment, then pulled herself back to reality and began to cross the bridge. She was careful to watch her step, for the rain made the bridge slippery. The bridge was crossed without incident.

The rain was lighter on the other side, which perhaps was a good sign. Clutching Tetsusaiga with both hands, Kagome trudged uphill, and in what seemed like eternity, found herself on familiar ground. The land she was walking through was close to the village.