InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Blood ❯ The Outside World ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha and all its characters do not belong to me. Unmei is my own created character, though, and not one that belongs in the Inuyasha universe. Please read and enjoy!

Shared Blood

Chapter Three

By: Lazuli

lazulidreamer@yahoo.com

Kagome pulled on her old school uniform, sighing. Inuyasha said that he wanted to go out today, and she was supposed to come with him. Why he wanted to bring his slave along was beyond her, but she supposed that he must have some sort of reason for it. She turned to the small mirror in the bathroom and winced. She looked terrible. She knew that her uniform couldn't have been in the best of shape after Yura attacked her, but she didn't think it was in shreds, either. It looked like someone took a sharp knife to it.

"Oi, girl! Hurry up and get out of there. You're taking forever!" Kagome slowly walked out of the room, staring at the ground. His eyes widened when he saw her, and she grinned ironically to herself. She finally managed to shock Inuyasha, even if it was unintentional.

"I'm ready to go, Inuyasha-sama." She whispered, wondering what he was going to do. Would he want to bring her with him now? She looked like trash, and she was sure that he didn't want to flaunt that around.

"Stay right there." He muttered. "I'll be right back. You look like someone dragged you out of the sewers." Kagome hid her smile. She could stay here and do nothing like usual. He would go out on his own, and he wouldn't bother with her-like usual.

She stood in the middle of the room, wondering if he was even going to come back for her. She was surprised when she heard him stomping down the hallway, and her eyes widened when he threw something at her. It felt soft-and smelled clean. She looked down at a clean dress, and bowed slightly to Inuyasha.

"Arigato gozimasu, Inuyasha-sama. I'll put this on right away." She left the room to change again, and marveled at the feel of the soft cloth against her skin. She had never worn anything so nice before. It was amazing, and even if it didn't fit perfectly. She stared at herself in the mirror, and was surprised at the nice-looking figure that stared back at her.

"Feh! You're taking even longer than before. I didn't give you that so you could stare at yourself. Get the hell out of there so we can get going." Kagome was startled by Inuyasha's rough voice, and made her way quickly out of the tiny room.

He didn't even glance at her, but just started walking out of the room. She followed him quietly. Even if Inuyasha owned her, he was letting her have fresh air again. She hadn't been outside since her last day at the Kon-to school, and she was looking forward to feeling the sunlight warm her face. She would almost feel free again.

Inuyasha stared at the girl walking beside him. She was quiet today-he wondered if the poison that she had almost died from addled her brains any. She didn't need to be as stupid as the rest of the slaves in his household. Like he cared about her. He was still angry that he could've been the one that almost died from that poison. He didn't know what that girl had been thinking, poisoning the food. He could have eaten it-he smirked. He was glad that the bitch was dead. No one tried to kill him and lived to tell about it.

"Oi, girl. We're stopping here." She looked up in surprise at him, but just nodded. He rolled his eyes. It was more interesting when she argued and yelled at him. He supposed that she couldn't do it on the street…there were too many youkai eager to kill a disobedient, mouthy slave-girl. She knew the rules better than he did. She smiled at him slowly, and he blinked in surprise, wondering what she was up to.

She didn't do anything at that time, just followed him meekly into the store, and he sighed. What had he gotten himself into, taking a human slave? He saw the other youkai in the store staring at him and the girl, and he glared at them, hearing their muffled comments about him.

"Damn hanyou…coming in here. I don't care if he is Inutaiko's son. He's a miserable half-breed…and with a human slave too. He thinks that it's acceptable? He's giving us a bad image…"

"I agree. He's going to be just like his father, choosing a human as his mate. Look at her…you can tell by the way she's dressed that she's his concubine."

Laughter. "He belongs with a human. Perhaps to him it's not a vile act. Doesn't he turn human once a month? He probably likes them-I'm sure that she's hot in bed, though. That's all humans are good for…working and sleeping with."

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. "At least something will sleep with me. I heard that you had to drug your partner before she would look at your ugly face, you hairless wonder."

Manten's eyes narrowed in anger, and he got up, only to have Hiten put a restraining hand on his shoulder. "Don't bother wasting your anger over that half-breed, Manten. It's not worth it."

Manten's eyes were still angry, and he shook off his brother's hand. "I'll make sure that he keeps that trap of his shut. No one insults me like that." He snarled and leapt up, opening his mouth to blast Inuyasha, who just yawned and held up Tetsuaiga.

Kagome watched in amazement as the lightning split both ways, completely deflected by the sword. Inuyasha jumped over Manten's head, leaving Kagome to shriek and run out of the way from the lightning.

She took a couple of deep breaths, wondering if Inuyasha meant to get her killed out here. She watched as Manten and Hiten teamed up to fight Inuyasha, who was unaware of the double-teaming. Searching the room with her eyes, she found a bow and a quiver of arrows lying next to a fascinated youkai, and grabbed them quickly, wondering if she could actually use the ancient weapons.

She clumsily set the arrow to the bow, and drew back as far it would reach, aiming for the elder brother, who's back was turned to hers. She released the arrow, closing her eyes. She wasn't sure why she was saving her owner-but it seemed almost instinctive. She would probably get a worse owner if Inuyasha died-and would be if she were lucky. She might be killed just because he died.

Hearing one scream of pain, and another of outrage, she opened her eyes to see Hiten falling to the ground, and was still. Manten's eyes were wide with shock as he stared at the place that his elder brother had fallen, and he turned to Kagome, eyes blood red with anger.

"You stupid human bitch…you killed him." Inuyasha was staring at Kagome in shock, and the room had gone completely silent, everyone staring at the three who were fighting.

Kagome backed away in fear, clutching the bow and arrow to her, trembling. She was going to die. She had saved Inuyasha, but she was going to die. She didn't even know how she did it. How could one simple arrow kill a youkai?

"You…you're one of those damn humans that can kill youkai, aren't you? Why are there any of you dangers left? I should blast you to pieces right now!" He opened his mouth to release the lightning, but it was cut short by a sword slicing through him, him falling to the ground in two pieces. Everyone stared at the dead youkai on the ground, and then turned to look at Inuyasha.

"This is what happens when you threaten me, you bastards." He sheathed his sword, and glared at the motionless crowd. He yanked Kagome roughly up, practically dragging her out the door. She was still clutching the bow and arrow to her side as they left the building.

"Stupid bitch! You could have really gotten killed in there! What the hell were you thinking? You didn't tell me you were a miko! You're kind should have been all destroyed! Why the hell are you alive?"

Kagome rolled her eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about, Inuyasha-sama. If you wanted me dead so badly, you could have let that oversized moron fry me, or let me die from the poison."

He glared at her, unable to think of a good enough comeback for that one. She had a point, and he cursed. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to have an intelligent slave. He settled with grabbing her arm again, yanking her along with him.

"C'mon. We're going to go to one of your nasty human shops. I need something for my mother, and that's the best place to get it."

Kagome stared at him. She forgot…with him being a hanyou, his mother *was* a human…a former slave and concubine of Inuyasha's father. She blushed suddenly at that one youkai's comment about her…and Inuyasha's reply. She couldn't be…

She hid her face and pointed down the street. "When I had some money, Inuyasha-sama, I would go to Unmei's shop. She had some pretty clothing and some other odds and ends. Maybe she'll like the stuff there."

Inuyasha snorted. "If its something you could afford, I doubt it would be good enough for my mother." He followed her directions to the shop; well aware of the stares he was getting being in the human side of town. Eyes watched him fearfully from broken windows, and he didn't miss the glares that were directed at Kagome, and his sensitive ears caught the word 'whore' more than once.

Kagome was silent beside him, and she pushed open the door to one of the nicer looking buildings in the area, and Inuyasha found himself in a small, dim shop, stuffed with clothes, books, toys, jewelry…it seemed to have everything, and he was amazed that the humans had something like this.

Kagome turned to him with an ironic smile. "It's *all* we have, Inuyasha-sama. I'm sure you can find something useful in here." She turned at a small noise in the back of the shop, and a small, dark haired girl came out, who seemed even younger than Kagome.

"Kagome-chan…" She smiled briefly, then her violet eyes took in Inuyasha, and she frowned. "Who is this, Kagome? Are you with them now? Betraying us by bringing a youkai into our side of town?"

Kagome shook her head. "This is my master, Inuyasha-sama. We are going shopping. He agreed to buy something at your store after I told him how marvelous it was." Her quiet voice was sincere, but Unmei rolled her eyes.

"Whatever, Kagome. Just buy something and get that youkai out of my store." She glared at Inuyasha, who stiffened beside Kagome. He raised his claws threatening at her, but Unmei just smiled and aimed a crossbow at him.

"I wouldn't try it, bastard. I have excellent aim. I run this shop, and I don't stand for youkai coming and kidnapping then killing my friends and family. Buy something to make fun of, and get out."

Inuyasha snarled, and Kagome smiled. "We're a bit protective over what freedom we have, Inuyasha-sama. I wouldn't test Unmei." She led him toward the back of the store, towards the nicest and most expensive of the items that Unmei had for sale.

Unmei watched Kagome and Inuyasha walk out of the store after they bought a silk kimono, her eyes filled with betrayal. She shoved the youkai's money in the old cash register, hands trembling.

"Don't ever bother coming back here, Kagome. I'll make sure we never accept you back."

Inuyasha left Kagome in his bedroom while he went to his mother, and she lay against her pillows, holding back the imminent tears. Those names that both the youkai and the humans called her. A whore…a concubine…was that what she really was? She must've have been blind and stupid not to realize what it meant to be spending all her time in Inuyasha's room, only doing small things for him, and never doing the menial chores that the other slaves did everyday. Why he was so angry that she was trying to do other work.

She would never fit in with the youkai…even if she was Inuyasha's concubine, and it was because she was his concubine that she would never be able to be with her own kind again. The look in Unmei's eyes…Kagome closed her own eyes in pain. She wondered if this was how Inuyasha felt in a way. Not accepted by either race because he was both.

She froze. Inuyasha…she recalled all that they said about him. It must have hurt him, even though he didn't say anything. The youkai looked at him as if he was lower than she was, because he was a mixed breed. Their looks after she had…killed…Hiten. There was an almost grudging respect in there…a human that had the 'old' power to destroy youkai with an arrow…she remembered tales of the miko that could blast a youkai to pieces with a single touch. Did she really stem from that line?

"I swear, Mother…she killed one of the Kaminari brothers with a holy arrow. I saw it with my own eyes. She saved my life by firing it. I never saw anything like it before."

His mother looked thoughtful, and she smiled at him. "It seems as if you got a bonus with the slave you rescued, Inuyasha. She can be very useful. Your secret is safe with me."

Inuyasha nodded gratefully, and got up slowly from where he was eating dinner with his mother. He wasn't sure why he wanted to protect her. She had saved his life, though, by killing that other youkai. If the other youkai hadn't been so afraid of the miko in the room, they would have killed just because. He had to protect her from that.

Kagome looked up quickly when Inuyasha came into the room, staring at her strangely. "What?" She asked defensively, not liking the look he was giving her. He frowned, making her fall silent.

"Are you really a miko, girl? I won't find you trying to kill me in the night, will I?" She rolled her eyes.

"I saved your life, Inuyasha-sama. I won't be killing you. Why would I do something so stupid as killing my owner?" She smirked at him. "Or do I have a reason to kill you, Inuyasha-sama?"

His eyes widened. "Feh. You couldn't get near me." She shook her head, changing the subject.

"Inuyasha…has it always been that way for you?" She asked quietly. "The things they said about you?" Her voice was soft, and he was astounded by the caring tone in her voice. A human…his damn *slave* no less, was concerned about what was said about him and how he felt about it? What was wrong with her?

"It's none of your damn business." He muttered. He felt a tentative touch on his arms, and he looked down at surprise at Kagome.

"I'm serious, Inuyasha. What they said…it must have hurt. Even if you don't want to say it to anyone else, you can trust me. At least use me for some purpose, Inuyasha-sama…even as a confidante. I have no one to tell…"

Her eyes turned away for a moment, but not before he saw the flash of hurt in them. He remembered the humans that they saw earlier that day, and he suddenly understood. "Hmph. Me and you are more alike than I thought, girl." He muttered, and sighed. "Yeah, it annoys me. The morons can't keep their mouths shut. No one cares that he mated with a human…we do it all the time…" He looked away from Kagome, blushing, and then continued.

"It was the fact that he married her…and kept me as his son. Usually when the concubine has the misfortune to get pregnant, she's killed and the baby is raised as a slave. Sometimes…I wonder…"

His voice trailed off, and he stared at the floor. "Damn it, why am I telling all of this to a slave?" He muttered.

"This slave is your concubine, and I think that she understands." Her eyes stared into his, and he gulped. He saw understanding there, and he swore inwardly. She knew now…he wasn't surprised that she knew. Not after his loud comment to his 'friends' in the store.

"Don't think that it changes anything. I'm not like my father. I'm not going to mate with a human." She took a deep breath and put one hand to his cheek.

"I know it doesn't change a thing, Inuyasha-sama. I just wanted to let you know that someone was there for you. As you said, we have a lot in common. A human isn't very appealing to a youkai, but you can't forget that you *are* half-human."

He stared at her in surprise, feeling the warmth from her hand penetrate his cheek. He took her chin between his thumb and index finger, studying her, noticing her quickened breathing. He smirked at her, and released her.

"Stupid girl. I can never forget that I'm half human. You best remember that you'd *never* be seen as a human again if I claimed you. Don't tempt me."

She stared at him in shock, but smiled. "You would never do such a thing with a human. You can't fool me that way." She pulled away from him, going to change out of the dress so that someone could wash it and give it back to his mother. It wasn't as if she could wear something like this everyday. She felt his hand on her wrist, and she stopped, surprised.

"Inuyasha-sama?" His grip tightened on her wrist, and a smirk tilted the corner of his mouth. "Are you alright, Inuyasha-sama?" His other hand traced her cheek lightly, and she felt her face warm at his touch.

"Don't be so sure, girl." With that, he let her go, and she quickly scurried to the bathroom, grabbing her pajamas as she left the room.