InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Blood ❯ Feelings ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha does not belong to me, he is property of Rumiko Takahashi. The characters created within belong to her as well, except for a few random characters that may pop in this chapter. Enjoy! And…this chapter is a bit…lime-ish? *blushes* Laz does NOT write lemons, and this is as bad as she gets, folks.

Shared Blood

Chapter Nine

By: Lazuli

lazulidreamer@yahoo.com

It was dark…Kagome peered all around her, but there seemed no way to penetrate the inky blackness that was slowly swallowing her up. She reached for Inuyasha in the darkness, but she couldn't grasp onto him. She was bodiless, floating, not able to make contact with anything. She felt the overwhelming sadness that usually came with tears, but even the feeling of her own tears was denied to her. She was alone-lost, and she didn't know why or how.

"Inuyasha!" There…sound! Her voice penetrated the darkness, but she flinched when the words seemed to bounce back at her, cutting her. She only wanted him, her mate, Inuyasha.

Inuyasha blinked his eyes sleepily, wondering what possessed him to wake up in the middle of the night. He glanced over at the ticking alarm clock, and groaned. It was three in the morning. He looked at Kagome sleeping beside him, and he was suddenly more awake. She seemed like she was peacefully sleeping…but…for some reason he knew *something* was wrong. He gently touched her shoulder, but she curled into a ball at his touch, and he winced. Was she regretting already her choice to be his mate?

She suddenly whimpered in fear, and Inuyasha's ears perked up. She was…scared! Having a nightmare. He gently cradled her in his arms, rocking her gently, hoping he would calm her down from this…whatever she was experiencing. His lips gently kissed her forehead, and she moved under his touch, her eyes opening wide. She immediately grabbed onto his shoulders, sobbing into his chest.

"Shh…Kagome." He pressed his lips to the top of her head, holding her tightly against him. "Mate…what's wrong?" The only answer he received was more sobs, and she just shook her head against him. He finally pulled away to look into her tear filled eyes, and he gently wiped the stray drops of water from her face.

"Love…?" He questioned softly. "I'm here for you. I'm not going to leave." Apparently it was the right thing to say, for the sobs stopped choking her chest, and she just let the tears run down her face. He gently kissed the tears away, trailing his lips across her face, making sure that he didn't leave any moisture to fall.

He let his lips brush across hers in a tender caress, feeling her arms loosen their death grip on him and hold him more gently, leaning into the loving kiss. He slowly deepened it, one hand moving up to cradle to back of her head, pushing it slightly closer to his. He let instinct guide him while he comforted his mate-letting her know how much he loved her-needed her with him.

She responded to him, and he felt warm inside from her gentle touch on him, delicate fingers stroking his ears, like they did last night. He pulled away slightly, smiling softly down at Kagome. Their first night together as mates…he was surprised when Kagome pressed her lips to his again, but he didn't waste anytime returning her kisses, hands moving down her sides to cradle her back and lower her to the bed beneath them.

"Kagome…" He was surprised at how his voice came out, and he knew that he couldn't live without her. He kissed her with more fervor, and was soon lost within her again, being closer to her than he ever thought possible. He gently kissed down her neck, trailing his kisses to the sensitive spot behind her ears, hearing her soft sighs in response. She looked up at him with longing, and he caressed her face one more time before losing himself to the love she gave to him.

Waking up slowly, Kagome turned towards the warmth in the bed beside her. Inuyasha had his arms wrapped around her, and his face was slack with sleep. She smiled, incredibly happy. Inuyasha-no longer her master, but her mate. She could hardly believe that he loved her-even though she was human…and a miko.

"Don't worry about that Kagome." Kagome started when Inuyasha's sleepy voice penetrated her thoughts, and she looked down to see him staring up at her. "I love you, and it doesn't matter if you are a human. You're Kagome."

Kagome blushed, feeling the truth of what he was saying. She delicately fingered the ring she wore, and closed her eyes in speculation. The Empress said that it bound them together, heart and soul-their emotions were bound together as well. She couldn't hide anything from him, and she didn't want to.

She snuggled further into the warmth Inuyasha supplied, content to just relax. She felt better than she had in ages, and she wondered if it was because of her mating with Inuyasha or the fact that she knew she was completely safe now. She didn't have to worry about anything anymore.

"Mmm… Kagome-we can't stay in here all day." Inuyasha murmured into her hair.

Her grip tightened around him, though. "Don't want to get up, Inuyasha. It's warm here with you." She yawned slightly and grumped when he suddenly moved away from her. "Where are you going, Inuyasha?"

Grinning at her, he tapped the end of her nose. "Mated or not, Kagome-I still need to take care of business in the morning." Kagome's face turned bright red at that, and she could have sworn she heard his laughter in her head as he shut the bathroom door.

Kagome looked out the window at the snow lightly falling, and wondered about her brother-for the first time since she had been taken by Inuyasha. The only member of her family that had been left after her mother died, and she had completely forgotten about him.

"Kagome? What are you thinking about?" Kagome whirled around, seeing Inuyasha looking at her strangely, his eyes concerned as they met with hers. He knew that something was wrong with her-he felt it, as it had felt her fear last night.

She didn't answer for a moment, just looked sad. "I…I have a brother-his name is Souta, and he goes to one of the schools. I remember thinking about him when I left school that day I met you. I hadn't seen him since he was six years old, and then taken to the school, but I think about him sometimes. He was my only family."

Inuyasha's eyes widened suddenly at her quiet voice, and he pulled her towards him. He never knew how lonely she was-how alone she had been. She was his mate, but he didn't know anything about her. He could share her emotions and thoughts, but her past wasn't know to him…and he wanted it to be. He wanted to know everything about her.

He picked her up in his arms, ignoring her protests, and settled in bed again, keeping his arms wrapped around her, nuzzling her neck.

"Why don't you tell me about him?" He asked softly. "We hardly know anything about each other…and although we are already mated…I want to know *about* my mate-"

She twisted in his arms to look up at him, confused. "But, Inuyasha…you said to leave that all behind me. I'm sorry that I spoke about Souta. It's not a big deal." She smiled up at him lovingly. "With you-I'm fine. I don't need to worry about my old life."

He shushed her with his lips pressed to hers gently, and smiled when he moved away. "I want to know, Kagome. You're the only one…the only one who doesn't mind what I am…" He buried his face in her hair, breathing in deeply. "You don't know how lonely it was for me, beloved…"

She looked up at him, shocked, but held him close to her, reveling in the feeling of how close he was to her, the love and comfort she felt from him, and his need to feel her arms around him.

"I think I can understand, Inuyasha…a lot of the girls at school talked about the hanyou Inuyasha that wasn't accepted by the youkai-I felt so bad for you…I wished that I could meet you…" She blushed, and he smiled, stroking her hair.

"You felt sorry for me, eh? I remember you being all caring the first day I found you were a miko. You shocked the hell out of me, this slave girl not only caring for her master, but saving his life."

She smiled. "You saved mine when you didn't have to. You…you cared for me enough at the time that you didn't let me die. That reminds me-how did you save me from that poison?"

Looking down at her, he smirked. "You never figured it out?" He tilted her chin up, kissing her hard enough until she tasted blood. She winced away from him, staring in shock. She felt a tingle of power run through her though, and understood. He gave her blood… something that was unheard of from a youkai master-so that she would live.

"Why?" She asked softly. "Not that I'm complaining…but you saved my life so many times."

"You were mine, Kagome. I wasn't about to have anyone harm you-plus…I don't think I really knew it at the time, but-I cared for you then. I didn't want to lose the one person I could relate with. I'd be lonely without you."

She nodded in agreement, turning around slightly so that she could lean up and kiss him, loving the feel of his lips-never wanting it to end. He responded to her quickly, but pulled away after a moment, amusement in his eyes.

"As lovely as your kisses are, Kagome-I did ask you about your past. Can't you share with me?" His eyes looked down at her, the amusement gone and he looked almost hurt.

"I…" She looked away from him, ashamed. "It's not that! Inuyasha…it's just that my life wasn't very interesting…it was hard…and-I didn't have anyone like I do now…like I have you. I don't want to think about that."

He frowned. "I'm sure you had other friends beside that bitch, didn't you? Tell me about them."

She sighed, and pulled away from him slightly. "There were some girls at the school that I knew. Yuka, and Emi. Emi was attacked a few days before I met you. Her and Yuka were really close-but Yuka lived at the school and Emi was at an deserted ice cream stand-it was too easy for youkai to pick her up. Yuka found her daypack, with blood on it. I never got too close to anyone because of stuff like that."

"Can you tell me about your mother? How it was for you in the schools?" His voice was unsure, knowing that Kagome cared for her mother very much before she was killed.

"My mother and I lived in an actual shrine right after Souta was born and she was killed. She cooked for me, scrounged around for what little food could be found, and tried to get me into the schools without raising undue attention on herself. Then when Souta was five, she came back one day, and me that she found a place in the school for Souta and me. She told the school that I had miko powers-I thought she was lying at the time just to get me in. That was the last time I ever saw Souta."

Her smile was sad. "I went back to visit my mother every chance I got-I was loving the school, though, and stayed there more often than not. Every time I crept out though, it was to bring my mother food. I got caught a few times, but they weren't so harsh then-I was still allowed to stay at the school. One day, though, when I went to visit her, I found the shrine burned down and my mother being dragged off with a youkai. When it spotted me, it smirked at me, and killed her before my eyes."

Inuyasha looked at Kagome carefully as she told her past to him. Her voice was so dead sounding-like she had just put what had happened in the back of her mind, and told the story like it happened to another person. He kissed her temple softly.

"I'm sorry, Kagome. I didn't mean for you to relate such a painful experience." She shook her head at him.

"It was a long time ago, Inuyasha. I was nine years old, and time heals. " She smiled weakly at him. "It's taken this long for the pain to fade away, and for the memory to become dim. Anyway, after that, I didn't have anyone, but I began skipping school more to help other humans that weren't in the schools, and that's where I met Unmei-" Her voice trailed off, and she shrugged. "You know the rest."

He sighed. "You were always alone…like me. We're not alone anymore, Kagome, you know that, right? I'll *always* be here for you, as long as you never leave me."

Kagome looked at him curiously. It was as if he was almost desperate for her to be there with him, as if he needed her more than she needed him. She smiled, and snuggled against him, just content to stay in bed with him, to not move, but stomach chose that moment to rumble loudly, and he snickered at that.

"Hungry?" He asked, trying not to laugh too hard. "We did have a lot of exercise…" She blushed at that, but she nodded nevertheless, untangling herself from his embrace.

"Hmm…I am hungry." She lowered her head, it not being so easy to get out of how she had been acting for so long. He tilted her chin up and dragged her out of bed with him.

"We'll get some lunch sent up to us then, ne? Unless you want to sit with my family again?" His eyebrow rose questioningly. She shook her head firmly. Grinning at that, he walked out the door. "I'll be right back then, okay?" She nodded and kissed him as he was going out the door. He let his lips move over hers, one arm wrapping around him, pulling her close to him. After a few moments of this, he pulled away.

"I told you I liked your kisses, girl. Don't distract me so much though…" He whispered. She smirked at him, and caressed his cheek, longing clearly on her face.

"Don't be too long, Inuyasha." He nodded and squeezed her hand gently before closing the door behind him.

Kagome sat on the bed, arms around her body, wondering what was wrong with her. When had she gotten so dependent on someone? She *needed* Inuyasha near her, for some reason. She put one hand over her heart, tears coming to her eyes over the pure emotion that she felt for him. This wasn't like her-she never loved anyone this much, not even the love for family was like this. It hurt when he wasn't near.

He was suddenly in front of her, a worried expression on his face. "Kagome…" His hands cupped her face gently. "I think we need to talk my mother, okay? I'll stay with you this time." He said, his tone serious and she nodded, feeling better already now that he was there, holding her, comforting her.

"It's alright now, Inuyasha." She gave him a tentative smile. He shook his head.

"This isn't normal, Kagome…I feel…I *need* you with me! I…I have to ask Mother about this." His eyes were dark, and she agreed with him. While it could help them-knowing what each other's emotions were-it was horribly painful right now.

The Empress looked at the newly mated couple, her eyes serious. "I suppose I should tell you about those rings you are wearing."

The glare her son dealt her forced her to suppress her laughter. He wasn't used to having his emotions broadcasted to anyone, and *hated* the feeling of needing anyone. She supposed Kagome felt the same-but the way she grew up made her refrain from visibly showing her displeasure.

"Those rings are made with youkai and miko power, and contain the blood of you and Kagome. You wear her ring, and she wears yours. By the power in the ceremony and the mating, the rings were 'activated' letting you know what the other is feeling, if they are in danger or in need of their mate. It's painful now because you have just mated-and your bond is very strong. The more time you spend together right now, the easier it will be for separation."

Inuyasha nodded, but he didn't look too put out from the idea of having to stay near Kagome. Kagome looked startled, and a little sad, and turned to Inuyasha.

"I'm sorry that I'm constricting you, Inuyasha. I…I just…" His hand arm went around her, and he laid his head on hers, totally forgetting that his mother was even in the room.

"You didn't, Kagome. I wanted you near me as much as you want me near you." His grip tightened around her, and she smiled softly at him.

"Really?" She asked, her eyes searching out his. "You don't mind…?" She asked. He shook his head.

"What did I just say? Mou…stupid girl. I don't have anywhere important to go. I want to spend it with you."

She grinned. "If I remember correctly, Inuyasha-don't you still have school? I doubt your mother will let you completely disregard it." Kagome had not forgotten the Empress was in the room with them, and he shrugged.

"You know, Inuyasha-Kagome is right. For now, though-you can stay with her until the bond is strong enough. Then-back to school. Unless you prefer home schooling for the remainder of your school career?"

His eyes narrowed. "Does that mean you teaching me?" He asked slowly. His mother nodded. He looked at Kagome, then back at his mother, seeming to seriously contemplate the matter.

"Ah, hell…as long as I know Kagome's safe…I'll stay here." He muttered. "You finally win about teaching me at home." He smirked suddenly. "Although it took to the end of my senior year to do it."

She smiled. "Then its settled. You two-I order you to stay near each other as much as possible. You're going to need that bond to be as strong as possible."

Inuyasha stared at his mother. "You keep on saying that, Mother. What is going on that you aren't telling us?"

"I can't say, Inuyasha. I just know…" She paused, shaking her head reflectively. "If I find out more, I will tell you. I just know that you and Kagome need each other more than ever now. Treasure everything that you have."

Kagome's eyes betrayed her uneasiness, and she reflected back on the dream she had that morning that had scared her so much that Inuyasha woke up with the force of her fear. The main thing that stood out in her mind was that Inuyasha wasn't there in her dream…that she was all alone. She shuddered-hoping that it wasn't going to be true.

She bowed to the Empress, though, her lifted her chin up and hugged her gently. "You are my daughter now, Kagome. You don't have to act so formal with me." She smiled at her, and Kagome nodded, dumbfounded.

"Go back now, and spend all your time together. I'll have someone send your meals up. I'm very serious about this, children."

Inuyasha and Kagome nodded in unison, and he smiled at his mother before dragging Kagome back off to the bedroom where they could simply just *be* together…and not worry about any outside influences.

He immediately pulled her into his arms as he sat in the large stuffed chair in the corner of his room, his arms going around her. What his mother said didn't sit well with him at all-he didn't want to lose his Kagome. His mother hinted all about it, though. He hugged her tight to him, nuzzling her neck gently, stroking her hair. She seemed content just to be in his arms.

They had not even been mated for a full day, and this dark omen hung over their heads that they would not always have each other. Her arms went around his waist, and they seemed closer than ever. He couldn't lose her…if it meant never leaving her side…he wouldn't lose the one person who loved him, cared for him-he didn't realize the bond could be so intense that the loss would certainly kill him.

There was a knocking on the door, and a second later the door opened quietly, a small girl walked in, holding an oversized tray in her hands. Kagome got up from Inuyasha, taking the tray from the girl.

"Thank you. I take it this is our lunch?" She asked quietly. A quick nod, and there was slight awe in the girl's expression.

"You're like the Empress, aren't you?" She asked, her voice quiet. "You're Inuyasha-sama's mate." Kagome blushed but nodded.

"I am his mate, my name's Kagome. What's yours?" She asked.

"Rin." Came the quiet reply, and Kagome smiled. "Thank you, Rin-chan for bringing our meal up." Rin looked shocked that someone higher than her was *thanking* her for doing a normal task. The slaves in this household were treated better than most, but they were still treated like slaves-

She bowed to Kagome and Inuyasha and made her way quickly out of the room, shutting the door gently after her. Kagome looked mystified, then sad.

"Well, Inuyasha-let's eat." She smiled brightly at him, and he settled beside her, lifting the lid from the bowls of the steaming rice, miso soup, and broiled fish. He picked up a piece of the sliced fish and popped a piece quickly into her mouth.

She looked up him surprised before getting the idea. She giggled to herself at how silly they must look…sappy, and besotted with each other. She shrugged mentally, not caring at that point. She let Inuyasha feed her as she fed him. She felt content…

Later

"Inuyasha…are you sure its okay for us to be going out? Your mother won't be pleased!" Kagome struggled to keep up with Inuyasha, who looked a little irritated at something.

"Feh…I'm sick of being cooped up, Kagome. Aren't you? As long as we stick together, we'll be fine." He smiled at her, and waited for her. "Come on, get on my back. I want to get through this crowd a little quicker, and I know a shortcut."

She got on his back, gripping his shoulders tightly as he suddenly jumped upwards, and landed easily on the top of a building. "Less crowds, ne, Kagome?" He grinned at her expression as he made his way from rooftop to rooftop, her hair flying backwards.

"This is wonderful, Inuyasha-sama. Where are we going?" She asked, hoping he would hear her over the rushing wind.

"We're going to visit the lecherous cousin of mine. I want you to meet Sango. I think you'd get along quite well."

Kagome ducked as the knife sailed over her head, thudding into the wall. "You betrayer! You…worthless bitch!" Kagome ran, scared of this Sango that she was supposed to get along with. She didn't realize that Sango was the former leader of the rebel group with the humans before she was captured. And she wanted Kagome dead.

"I'm not betraying anyone, you moron! I was never in the groups, I only helped certain people who didn't have food! I never fought, and never wanted to fight against the youkai! You've got it all wrong!"

Sango snorted. "You may not have been a fighter, but you became his concubine willingly. I can see it all over you. At least I haven't stopped that low yet."

Kagome rolled her eyes. "Aren't you happy to reap the benefits of being with Miroku, though? My god, Sango, you're stronger, faster, and almost impossible to kill. Plus you're warm, fed, and safe! You don't have to work yourself to death, and Miroku cares for you! You're treated so well that the other slaves in this household are probably to envious to see!"

"What would you know about it?" She muttered. "You don't know me. I've never slept with that pervert. He only gropes me. I'm strong because I've trained to be that way.

Kagome held back Sango's wrist easily, amazed at her own strength. Apparently being Inuyasha's mate gave her more strength that it did Sango-and she never trained herself like she did. "I know because a girl tried to kill me because I was in your position! It hasn't been that long ago, either!"

Sango sniffled. "At least he cares you, and doesn't paw you like some cheap toy." She muttered. The sad tone left her voice instantly, and Kagome wondered if she had imagined it being there in the first place.

"I'm still going to rip you apart." She snarled, and launched herself at Kagome again, and was knocked backwards by a strong hand. She looked up dazedly at Miroku, who was frowning at her.

"Jealous, Sango? It's not good to attack my cousin's mate. You know that you can die for it, even if she's just a human."

Sango looked away. "She's no more human than I am." She muttered. Miroku's words sank in a minute later. "She's his *mate*?" She squeaked, and looked at Kagome with more disfavor than before.

"Yes, she is his mate, higher than you, and if I didn't like you so much, Sango, you could be killed for what you tried to do."

Kagome shook her head violently. She didn't want to be responsible for something like that. Kikyo's disappearance lay heavily on her mind still, and she didn't want something like that to happen again. Inuyasha had told her that she was killed-and it was because she had been almost killed.

"Miroku-sama…please don't hurt her. She…" Miroku looked at her curiously.

"She tried to kill you, and you still want her to live? You're strange, Kagome. Even most humans wouldn't hesitate to kill her."

She stood up shakily, still shaking her head, giving Miroku a weird smile. "I'm not human or youkai, though, Miroku-sama."

He raised his eyebrows. "True, true…you realize the importance of that, don't you? You're an outcast." He looked carefully at her for her reaction, but she just shrugged.

"No more than I was before."

Inuyasha had been watching everything, and he smiled when Kagome didn't cry or turn away from Miroku's blunt statement of her being an outcast. She looked towards where he was hiding, and motioned him to come out into the open, beside her. She still looked lonely, and he swore inwardly. Maybe they'd never grow out of that…but he was determined to make sure that he took care of his mate while she was with him.

Darkness…what was this darkness? Kagome felt ill, and she tried to swim upwards toward the light she knew was there. Her head was throbbing, and she knew she wasn't dead. She reached for Inuyasha, and his presence seemed very faint…so far away from her. Where was she?

Kagome's eyes opened slowly to see a strangely dressed human leaning over her, his face concerned. When she blinked at him, his face broke out into a relieved smile.

"Good, you're awake. I was afraid that the gas killed you. It was awfully strong…it shouldn't have affected you so much. It was designed for that youkai you were with."

Kagome's eyes opened wide, and she frantically tried to move, but her limbs still felt too weak-she couldn't move out of her prone position. She glared venomously at the human that admitted to taking her mate.

"What have you done with him?" She asked, her voice low and filled with anger. He blinked.

"Why, I've saved you from him. You're in Shippou-sama's household, now, and I'll take good care of you. You don't have to worry anymore."

Kagome closed her eyes, trying to analyze what she could do-thinking calmly when all she wanted to do was beat the boy senseless and get back to Inuyasha. She swallowed the tears that tried to force their way to the surface, knowing she had to be strong.

She sat up slowly, and took in her surroundings. She was in a tiny room, and she knew that she was in trouble. The very air felt suppressing, and the boy kept on giving her strange, concerned looks, and she felt uneasy by the way he was looking at her-something in his eyes unnerved her.

"I'm Hojo by the way. I brought you here until you've recovered from the poison. Don't worry, no youkai can enter here."

She shook her head. No wonder she felt sick-this place was designed to keep youkai out, and she was no longer human. Hojo was unintentionally going to kill her by keeping her here. She had to escape. Not just to get back to Inuyasha-which she wanted to do desperately-but to save her own life.