InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Blood ❯ Destiny ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Laz wanders in, rubbing her eyes tiredly* Well, minna-san, its 12:30 in the morning, its been a long day, and my room mate needs sleep. *cheesy grin* I have however, typed my butt off today, to give you all a treat! Whoo-chapter 13! Aren't you glad? I'm sorry that I haven't updated in awhile, but the new semester has just started, and I have a load of classes. I'm sorry if I don't update as often. This page is chapter is 20 pages long. ^__^;; I've been busy? As usual, I couldn't have written this chapter without the help of my imouto, Steffie-chan, and with help of Ely-chan as well. Stef has been a great help with this, her encouragement and ideas keeping the story going strong. Inuyasha does not belong to me! Hah! You thought after all this time I bought it?! Rumiko Takahashi still owns the series, but I do make all claims to this story. Thank you, and enjoy!

Shared Blood

Chapter Thirteen

By: Lazuli

lazulidreamer@yahoo.com

"I don't need any help eating, Inuyasha." Kagome glared at her mate as he scooped up some rice with his chopsticks and lifted it towards her mouth.

"Feh! You can't even sit up without support, Kagome." She was still weak from the time she spent as a slave, and the beating she had gotten before she was rescued. Her body was trying to heal itself, but the process was making her tired, and she felt more weak than usual.

"So? It doesn't mean you need to feed..." She was cut off when Inuyasha chose that moment to shove the food in her mouth, effectively quieting her and feeding her at the same time. She chewed the rice sullenly, angry that he got away with it, and then grabbed the chopsticks from him.

"I can *feed* myself, Inuyasha." She held the chopsticks awkwardly, her hands shaking. She hated the fact that she was so weak, and she ignored the trembling in her hands so that she could prove to Inuyasha that she was getting better. She spilled most of the rice back into the bowl, but a few grains stuck to the chopsticks, and she put those into her mouth. "See?" She asked. "It might take me a little longer, but I can do it."

He took the chopsticks back from her gently, and smiled. "I know, Kagome...but--let me take care of you, please?" He put down the chopsticks to cup her face in his hands. "I'm so worried about you, Kagome--I can't face losing you again, and I want you to get strong as soon as possible. Just let me do this."

She gulped, her eyes meeting his. "I...I don't want to seem weak in front of you, Inuyasha." She lowered her gaze. "I want to be strong...and I can't even do a simple act like eating."

He tilted her chin back up, looking at her seriously. "You almost died. You're trying to heal from wounds that would have normally killed you, and you're still changing because of our bond...it's going to make you weak, and for a few days, you *have* to lean on someone else."

She sighed. "I know you're right, but it's so hard to do that. I mean...I'm alive, and I can move..."

"Barely." He snorted. She glared at him and continued.

"I just don't want to burden you, Inuyasha. You're mate should be strong." Her eyes filled with tears as she realized that she told him one of her fears...that he wouldn't want her for his mate if she was weak...not being able to help herself.

His arms wrapped around her, pulling her to him, the bowl of rice forgotten. Laying his chin on top of her head, he tried to reassure her with just holding her that he loved her, and didn't care that she was weak now. She was his mate...his love. He spoke quietly into her hair.

"I blame myself, Kagome, that you're this way. I couldn't protect you when you needed it--you got taken when you're with me. I was the weak one, not being able to take care of my mate."

His guilt over the situation overwhelmed him still, and it was hard to convince that fact that he was good enough for her. If he couldn't protect her, than what type of mate was he?

He felt her arms come up around him, holding him as tightly as he held her, just her presence radiating comfort. She lifted her head to look at him briefly, before letting her lips caress his, her thoughts reaching his mind.

*I trusted you always.* Her voice within his mind was soft, gentle. *I never blamed you, it was something that overpowered the both of us. I love you, and need you with me. If that means me giving up my pride so you can take care of me, I'll do that.*

He pulled away from the kiss, smiling gently, and stroked her cheek. "I'm glad, Kagome." He kissed her briefly again, before picking up the chopsticks again.

"Now let's continue, hmm?" She made a face at him, but didn't protest this time, just letting him feed her.

**

Kagome turned over in bed, trying to get to sleep. She thought she was doing better, but she was apparently more hurt than she thought. Her body still ached, and she couldn't find a comfortable position. She had dimmed the link between her and Inuyasha so that his sleep wouldn't be disrupted.

She closed her eyes, trying to relax her body enough to let her drift off. It seemed to work, and she felt herself relaxing enough, and she let her grip loosen on the waking world.

Dream

Kagome whirled around, her eyes wide with disbelief. It was her Mother…but she was dead! She was killed so long ago…her eyes filled with tears as she crept closer to her mother, wishing that she could talk to her. Would she fade away as so many of her daydreams did when she was younger?

Her mother turned toward her, though, smiling, and waving Kagome over to her. Kagome walked over slowly in confusion, but not wanting to question this opportunity.

"Kagome, come here. I have a favor to ask you." Kagome nodded, and her mother took her into the shrine house…this house that wasn't torn up…it was in one piece, and had furniture in it like a youkai's house would. Kagome heard a weird sound, and turned to see her brother Souta playing at a TV. What was going on?

"I want you to take care of Souta for me. I'm concerned for him-I don't think he's going to be well taken care of for the rest of his life-make sure he'll be safe, Kagome?" Her mother's voice was pleading, and Kagome wondered vaguely if her mother knew she was dead.

Her mother gave her a sad smile. "You know I miss you not being at home, Kagome. You spend so much time with that boy…" Her voice ended in a sigh. "I suppose its for the best. I know you love him."

Kagome hugged her mother fiercely, not understand why this conversation was taking place, but glad for this chance to see her mother-even if it was the last chance that she would ever get.

End Dream

**

"Are you sure about this, Inuyasha?" Kagome asked quietly, her eyes flicking up briefly to meet his. They were nearing the Hon-to school, where Souta was still enrolled. After she told him about her dream, he decided to take her to see his brother.

"You're safe now. This time nothing will happen to you." His voice was firm with his belief, and Kagome smiled at the possessive tone. She knew that he would let himself be killed before anything would happen to her.

"You're letting me see my brother, though. Why?" She asked. "You told me that I shouldn't think about my human ties at all, Inuyasha." Her tone was questioning as she looked back at him again.

Sighing, he paused in front of the steps to the school, turning to her. He cupped her face gently, gazing at her sadly.

"Kagome, a lot that I said then isn't important. I was being a selfish bastard-I didn't realize at the time that you still had family left, that you might want to see them. You can do almost anything that you want, Kagome-I just want you to have this chance to see your brother."

Kagome smiled happily at Inuyasha, and kissed him on the mouth softly. "Thank you for this chance, Inuyasha. I doubt that Souta remembers me, but at least I can see him one more time."

He held onto her tightly, and he didn't hesitate going into the human school with her. He obviously didn't want to let her out of his sight for a minute, and she didn't blame him. She didn't want to be away from him either. They had hardly separated at all since she came back from Shippou's.

"I am Principal Tsukiro, and may I ask why you are here?" Kagome looked up in surprise at the small, balding man in front of her. He seemed to be fixing her with an accusatory look, as if she should be either next door in the girl's school, or with a youkai. He seemed to not notice Inuyasha-wait…where *was* Inuyasha? She looked around swiftly, and saw him out of the corner of her eye-he was still near her, but he was going to let her spend this time with Souta alone…

She frowned. The idiot…she just may have *wanted* to introduce Souta to her mate. She realized the man in front of her was still waiting impatiently for her answer, and she kept in mind that she didn't have to be scared of him. He couldn't order her to the Kon-to school, or order a youkai to take her. She smiled instead, and held out a delicate hand for him to shake.

"I'm here to see my brother, Higurashi Souta. What room is he staying in?" Her voice was quiet, but she made sure that her request would be met…he couldn't miss the underlying demand in her voice.

He didn't miss it, and in fact bristled at her tone. He glared at her, raising his eyes to met hers. "I don't know what you are talking about, young lady. I suggest that you either go back to the girls school next door, or to an obviously unobservant master. I shall call him up myself, and have him come to get his runaway slave."

He moved as if to go to his office, but Kagome's hand shot out, gripping his shoulder. She smirked at his surprise. "I don't think you quite understood me. I would like to see my brother. My name is Kagome." She looked at him carefully. Still no recognition in his dull brown eyes. "Inuyasha's mate?" She questioned.

That got a reaction out of him. He started as if had been burned, and stared at her with wide eyes. "I…I see. I am so sorry, Kagome-sama. I'll lead you to him right away." He scurried ahead of her, throwing back fear-filled glances as if she were a youkai and was going to attack him while his back was turned.

She felt Inuyasha following her silently, not letting her leave his line of vision. She shook her head. *Why are you all the way back there? Come up here with me.* She asked, but she sensed negation from him.

*No, Kagome. I'm going to make sure you are safe, but this is your time with your family.* The tone in his sending was sad, and Kagome glared at him mentally.

*You baka! You're my family, too. I wouldn't want to leave you out, and I'm not about to, either. Get up here with me, Inuyasha. If anything, you'll scare the crap out of that man by showing up so suddenly.*

She could practically see his grin. *Yeah, I could do that, couldn't I? All right, but only for you, love.* His voice was softer, and without much warning, he was walking beside her, and she had the satisfaction of seeing the pompous man nearly jump out of his skin at the sight of Inuyasha suddenly beside her.

"Inuyasha-sama! When did you get here?" He asked. Inuyasha smirked. "I've been here the whole time, Tsukiro. I'm glad to see that you are treating my mate with the respect that she deserves."

Tsukiro nodded, and Inuyasha grinned at Kagome once the man turned around again. She shook her head at him, and intertwined her fingers with his as she clasped his hand. *Behave* She told him, and he gave her wide, innocent eyes in response.

She rolled her eyes at him, but was still smiling, until Tsukiro stopped in front of a small door, talking and muffled laughter heard from the inside. Tsukiro acted as if he didn't hear anything, but Kagome could heard conversation quite clearly. She wished she could recognize her brother's voice, and she bit her lip in worry. Would he even know her?

Inuyasha grip on her hand tightened, and she smiled up at him gratefully as they walked into the room together after Tsukiro.

Kagome's eyes searched out the boys in the room, wondering if she'd be able to find Souta. It had been so many years since she had seen him last…he had to have changed a lot since then. He was only six the last time she saw him, and now he had to be twelve or thirteen. It was a long time-she wouldn't be surprised if she didn't recognize him.

She heard the whispers, though…low voices of the boys that were disdainful of her presence, of who she was and who her mate was. They didn't know their names, but they knew when a youkai visited the schools, it was to pick up a new kid to be trained as a slave.

Tsukiro stepped forward to a teenager-ish looking boy, dark hair falling forward in his face. "You, Higurashi-you're to go with Inuyasha-sama and his mate." Souta's eyes widened with fear for a brief second, then his face hardened as he nodded. Kagome let Tsukiro lead them to a small room that stank of fear…she swallowed nervously, and wished that she knew the outcome of this.

Inuyasha glanced down at Kagome, her nervousness practically coming off of her in waves. He let his eyes skim over the boy sitting sullenly in front of them, and he knew him to be related to Kagome. Their hair and facial expressions were much the same, and their scents were similar, too.

Souta wasted no time either. After Tsukiro was out of the room, he glared at the two in front of him. "So what do you want me for? I haven't been causing any trouble. I should be here for a couple more years at least."

Kagome looked hesitantly at Souta. "I know you probably don't remember me, but I'm your older sister-Kagome. We're not here to take you away at all…"

Inuyasha chose that moment to speak up, his rough voice making Souta start. "In fact, kid-Kagome wanted you to stay here for as long as you need to. You can become a teacher here."

Souta's eyes widened, and he snorted in disbelief. "Why should I trust you? Or have you make me think you're my sister? Kagome died with my mother."

Kagome's shook her head fiercely. "I did *not* die with Mama! You know that. I don't know what they have been telling you…I've been at the Kon-to school up until I was sixteen…and for the past eight months, I've been living with Inuyasha."

"You can't be my sister. She wasn't a youkai. You're obviously not human. I can feel it." His dark eyes stared into hers, and Kagome realized that she couldn't have been the only one in her family that possessed miko powers. Souta obviously had latent powers…

"Souta, I haven't *always* been like this…Inuyasha was my Master for about six months." Kagome was silent, knowing Souta would pick up the rest on his own. He wasn't a stupid boy-

"You're sleeping with him? He made you his wife or something like that?" His voice was bitter, and Kagome winced. She didn't expect her reunion with Souta to be like this, but she wasn't ashamed of Inuyasha.

"He's my mate." She said calmly. "Your brother in law." Her eyes pleaded with Souta to understand. "I love him, Souta."

Souta wasn't understanding. "I can't understand, Kagome. I don't care if you say that you're my sister. None of my family…nobody with miko powers would associate with a youkai willingly…marry him. I don't know who you are…" He stood up, as if he were the one conducting the interview and was announcing the end of it.

Inuyasha appraised him with a cool look. "You're a moron. Your sister was more appreciative of what she was given when she was first my slave. She could've have killed me-was ordered to kill her master if she ever had one-but she didn't. She understood her good fortune."

Souta glared at him. "What good fortune? To lose her dignity? To work for some youkai? She's a human being! At one time that meant respect! We used to have dignity at one time, and she chose to throw it all away! Ignoring her born heritage!"

Souta's face was getting red with his anger, and Inuyasha watched Kagome's expression turn more and more inward at Souta ranted on.

She finally stood up, her eyes betraying none of her emotion. Inuyasha could feel the mental exhaustion from her though, and he wanted to get her out of here before she collapsed. He didn't know what he was thinking to take her to her brother so soon afterward…he should have known something like this would happen.

"Kagome…" He started. She shook her head at him, her smile a little strained.

"In a moment, Inuyasha." She turned towards Souta. "I know why you feel this way, Souta. I'm going to make sure that you don't become a slave, though. Don't worry about disgracing yourself." Her tone was curt, and she looked up at Inuyasha.

"I want to go home now, Inuyasha." He nodded and glared at the young boy one more time before walking back out of the room with Kagome. Neither of them saw the wistful look that Souta gave them as the door shut behind them.

**

"I can't believe that!" Inuyasha fumed to himself as they got back to his room. That Kagome's brother would treat her in such a way…his eyes narrowed. After everything…

"Inuyasha…it's okay. I understand. In my dream my mother asked me to take care of Souta…she never said that'd he'd accept me for what I became-" Her voice trailed off sadly. "I don't regret a single thing that I've done since I've been here with you, Inuyasha. I would give up my family to be with you."

Inuyasha's eyes softened as he looked at her, knowing that she was still holding inside the pain of her brother's rejection of her…but there was a determination and strength there as well that told him she wasn't going to let it get her down.

"Let's go talk to your mother now, Inuyasha. I'm sure that she wanted to speak to us the other day…but…" She shrugged. She knew that she was still weak-but it wasn't so bad if she didn't admit it aloud. She let Inuyasha lead her down the hall to his mother's room.

Kagome yawned, rubbing her eyes tiredly. She leaned against Inuyasha, who looked down at the exhausted girl in his arms. She wasn't completely healed yet, and he pulled her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her. She snuggled against him, her head resting on his chest.

"Mother, is this really the time for this? I don't think Kagome can stay awake to hear every detail."

Shiru looked at the dark circles under Kagome's eyes and agreed with Inuyasha. Kagome still looked exhausted, and perhaps right now wasn't the right time to tell them any of their story. Kagome needed to rest more before she could say anything.

She sighed softly, and stood up, signaling Inuyasha to do the same. He rose easily with Kagome still in his arms, her arms wrapped loosely around his neck.

"Put her to bed, Inuyasha. You, too. Both of you still need to rest after what you went through."

"Feh. I'm fine, Mother. Kagome's the one who needs rest." Even as he spoke, he yawned widely, and he grinned sheepishly. "Maybe I do need some sleep."

Shiru nodded firmly. "Yes, you do. Just because you have Kagome back with you does not mean your bond has lessened any. You still feel her body's exhaustion, just as if it was you. You need to be well rested, so she is well rested. I'll speak with you more on this later, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha nodded, carrying Kagome back to their home, holding her tightly as she curled up next to him as they fell asleep together.

**

Shiru looked at the couple before her, her expression grave. Kagome was finally well enough that she could take in the information, and Shiru didn't want to wait any longer in the telling. It was too important to leave unsaid.

"Kagome, Inuyasha...I think it is time I told you about a jewel that is called the Shikon no Tama."

Inuyasha's hold around Kagome tightened, as he looked at his mother. "Is it more of that destiny crap, Mother?" He asked. "I don't want Kagome involved in it. She's still not well enough." His voice was softer as he continued. "I'm not going to let her get hurt."

Shiru shook her head. "You will not have to worry about that, Inuyasha. Not yet at least. Just listen to what I have to tell you. It starts in a world where humans are free, and the youkai are forgotten into legend."

"I am going to tell you of a young girl that guarded half of a powerful jewel, called the Shikon no Tama. She lived in a world unlike this one…humans were not slaves for the youkai-the youkai themselves had practically melted into nothingness. They stayed hidden, only kept alive by the legends and myths that stemmed from their lives."

Kagome looked at her curiously. "A world where youkai aren't our owners?" She shook her head. "I can't see it."

Inuyasha sighed. "Mother told me that it wasn't supposed to be this way…skip all the stuff about her life, Mother. Just start on how her 'legend' started."

Shiru glared at her son. "Inuyasha, her life is important as well…but…" She let out her breath softly. "It can wait. The important part is her role in how she and her lover brought the Shikon no Tama together. First though, how she met Inuyasha."

Inuyasha and Kagome stared at Shiru, both sets of eyes wide in shock. She smiled at them. "Are you more interested now? Let me tell you Kagome and Inuyasha's story."

"Kagome came home from school one day, sensing that something was going to happen that day…"

**

Walking slowly into her room, the house silent, Kagome set down her bag gently on her bed as she went to her window that overlooked the entire shrine area. Frowning, she peered over at the well shrine. Something was there-something that dealt with what she had been dreaming about recently, about the jewel that was inside her.

Deciding her leave her homework untouched for the moment, she crept quietly down the stairs, trying to avoid her grandfather completely so that he wouldn't corner her with more legends. She had too much on her mind…She was having so many dreams lately…more frequently than she used to, and they were becoming more detailed-of an end of the world-terror and unhappiness. Youkai, that were once legends, now fully in power, with the human race enslaved. And…it was up to her to prevent this. She shook her head though as if to rid herself of the thoughts, and made her way quietly to the well.

She pushed open the sliding door leading into the well house, and sighed. There was nothing here…it was only her imagination playing tricks on her. Still…she tiptoed closer to the well itself, deciding to go with the impulse of actually going inside of it. The well was uncovered for once, and she peered into the darkness, seeing nothing there.

She climbed over the rim of the well, climbing down the wooden ladder to the bottom. Once she reached the end, she realized that she needed to get more sleep, or stop studying so hard. There wasn't anything threatening, or anything at all. Only hard packed dirt that was probably older than the shrine itself.

She sighed and went to reach for the ladder, and was surprised to see that it wasn't there. She blinked in shock. What? How did it vanish? Something her grandfather told her about the well flew through her mind, and she groaned. It couldn't be true…it sounded so…so…

"This well is very old, Kagome. It goes back many centuries. It would eat the bones of anything evil that passed through there, and those that were good were rewarded with something that they never knew existed, but was what their heart desired all along."

She shook her head, muttering under her breath. She looked upward and saw a dazzling blue sky above her, untainted with any smog. She rubbed her eyes, but it really was daytime out there, and there was no shrine.

Seeing no way out of the well, she decided to call out to *anyone* who could be out there that could possibly toss down a rope to her at least. She didn't want to stay in the well all day.

"Hello? Is anyone there? I'm in this well, and I don't know how to get out of here…" She called out a few more times, then slumped down, when no one came near. She would just have to wait.

Inuyasha muttered angrily under his breath as he heard the human's voice. Was she *trying* to attract every youkai in the area? It was like screaming 'Here I am! Eat me!' at the top of her lungs. He snorted, and decided to investigate. How she ever got stuck at the bottom of the well was a mystery…anything that went in that well didn't come back out of it…he'd seen youkai bones tossed in there, and vanish moments later.

He leapt easily to the rim of the well, peering in at the girl leaning against the side, arms crossed, eyes closed. She was dressed strangely. He never saw anyone in that type of outfit before. It was white and green, the kimono reaching her knees. He saw bare legs, and he gulped, never seeing so much of a female before.

Her arms were at least decently covered, the white part of the material covering everything. He shook his head. Only a whore would get trapped in the well…but even they wore more than this girl did!

She sensed his presence almost immediately though, and his scrutiny of her was cut short as she opened blue gray eyes to stare into his own, her arms falling to her sides in shock. She shook her head slowly, as if to clear it, then grinned up at him.

"Are you going to get me out of here, or are you going to stare at me all day?" Her voice was amused as she spoke, and he blinked in surprise.

"Uh…yeah…" He said, and jumped into the well, smirking when she started at his sudden closeness to her.

"C'mon, girl…get on my back so you can get out of here." She nodded, and crept cautiously onto his back, not even questioning the strangeness of the request. He leapt up easily to the top, letting her slide off when he landed on the grass.

"Thank you…" She turned to him, smiling, but he still saw the confusion in her eyes and stance, and her eyes searched his as if she would find something there. It was starting to annoy him.

"Didn't anyone ever tell you its not polite to stare at people?" He asked, his voice angry. Her eyes grew wider, and she blushed.

"I didn't mean to! Gomen nasai…" She bowed quickly. "It's just…" She paused, biting her lip, regarding him, or debating just how to say what was in her mind.

He rolled his eyes. "Spit it out girl. It can't be that remarkable."

She laughed. "It is, you…" She sighed. "Look…you have *something* in you, don't you? You know what I'm talking about." Her eyes met his, and he swallowed. How did this girl…this stranger know his secret?

Kagome saw that this strange boy knew exactly what she was referring to. She felt the power from him…it matched the one that lived inside her, and she felt drawn to him-the half of the jewel that lay inside of her called to the half that *his* soul created.

What did it mean? She looked at him, seeing the shock cross his features, then anger. He glared at her, shaking his head angrily.

"I don't know what you're talking about, girl." He finally muttered. "I do know that you can't stay here, though-I'm going to take you to Kaede in the village. She'll know what to do with you."

Kagome nodded. If he didn't want to admit it…he wouldn't. At least he was going to take her somewhere that might be able to help her out somewhat.

Kaede peered at the young girl in front of her, her miko powers sensing what lay inside the child. Her eyes were solemn as she scrutinized Kagome, and she felt a wave of self pity come over her for who and what this girl was. Looking over at Inuyasha leaning against one wall, she shook her head. She had known about Inuyasha for a long time…and now he brought this girl to her, who held the other half of something powerful within her.

"Child, do you know?" She asked quietly, her expression more calm outwardly than what she was feeling on the inside.

Kagome nodded. "Of course I do. I dream about it, I can feel it within me, and I know what will happen if…" She swallowed. "If anything ever happens to it."

Kaede fixed her gaze on her. "Or if that power you hold is completed…and you are killed." She kept her voice straight forward, to make sure Kagome was fully aware of what responsibility she held. Being so close to Inuyasha…she could feel the power vibrate between the two already.

Kagome paled a little, and her eyes flicked over to Inuyasha. "I know…" She whispered. "My dreams touched on that, too." She offered a weak smile. "I never thought it would happen, though…"

Inuyasha snorted. "Nothing's happened yet, girl. I refuse to be connected to some weak human. Who cares if you have something that I have, huh? It doesn't make a difference."

Kagome winced. He obviously felt *nothing* between them…she wondered vaguely if she was imagining it all. She probably was. She put that to the back of her mind to focus on Kaede, who was asking her a question.

"Where do you come from, Kagome-san?" Kagome looked at the ground nervously. How to explain that she came from another time?

She smiled faintly. "I'm from Tokyo, Japan…1997." She finally whispered. Whether they believe her or not was their own choice.

Kaede's eyebrow rose slightly, the only indication of her surprise. "Inuyasha found you in the well, didn't he? Did you travel through that to get to here?"

She nodded, biting her lip. "If you don't mind…I'd like to go home. I don't really belong here." Another glance at Inuyasha.

Kaede nodded. "It is a mysterious thing that you traveled here in the first place, but let us return you to your homeland tomorrow. It's getting dark, and I am sure you must be hungry." She gave the young girl an encouraging smile, and Kagome smiled back, relaxing again.

"Thank you." Inuyasha snorted, sitting with his back against the wall as his eyes were intent on Kagome.

**

Inuyasha rolled his eyes at his mother. "This is getting boring, Mother. Does this have a purpose?"

Kagome poked him in the side, glaring at him. *You shouldn't be so rude to your mother, Inuyasha. She's telling us this for a reason.* She reached up to caress his ears, hoping to relax him, but he flushed, and held her hands tightly in his own.

"Not while my mother is watching." He mumbled. He saw his mother trying to suppress laughter, and he glared at her, raising one eyebrow. "What's so funny?" He asked.

Shiru shook her head as she hid her smile in her cup of tea. "Like Father, like son." She said demurely, and Kagome looked between Shiru and Inuyasha. She made a mental note to ask Inuyasha later *what* that meant.

Inuyasha coughed, trying to regain his composure. He went back on the topic of the legend. "We really don't need to hear every single detail, Mother. Can we just get to the important parts?"

Shiru shook her head at the impatience of her son. "You're hopeless, Inuyasha. Why did Kagome ever marry you?" She smiled at him gently to let him know that her words were not serious, and he grinned back.

"I know, Mother. Just…well…you said that Kagome and Inuyasha were lovers…if he didn't want to be around her, how'd they fall in love?"

Kagome looked at Inuyasha in surprise. She would have asked that question, but didn't think that Inuyasha would. It was like him in a way, though. Getting straight to the point.

Shiru looked towards Kagome, ignoring her son. "Are you tired, dear? Do you need anything?" Kagome started.

"No, no…I'm just fine. I want to hear more of the story. And…" She blushed slightly. Her voice shy. "I would like to hear how they fell in love as well."

Shiru glared at them mockingly. "Children these days. All impatience. Not waiting to hear the whole story." She took another sip of tea, and started again.

"Kagome managed to find her way home, but she did not stay there for very long. She visited the past frequently, and each time she visited, she grew closer to Inuyasha. She hated to go home, and her time was becoming more foreign to her than the past."

**

Kagome flopped against her pillows, closing her eyes in exhaustion. She had so much on her mind…with all the events that happened while she was in the past with Inuyasha. He'd warmed up considerably since she first met him, and she rolled over on her side, staring out the window. She just came home, and missed him already.

"How do I really feel about him?" She murmured to herself. It was so strange. She had known Inuyasha such a short time, but already she wanted to be with him. She wondered if it was because of the jewel that they each held a part of-she frowned. She didn't like that idea anymore

than Inuyasha did. It was undeniable, though, that there was *something* there. She wondered if Inuyasha actually did feel anything like she did, but didn't say anything.

A tapping at her door made her look up, and her mother cautiously pushed the door open, poking her head in. "Kagome?" Her mother's voice was quiet as she saw her daughter staring out the window.

"Hai, Mama?" Kagome's voice sounded strange, and she didn't move her gaze from the well house area. She wondered if her mother realized how much she was drifting away from her family at this point. She felt more at home with Inuyasha-even if he wouldn't admit it.

"Kagome, I'm worried about you. You're so far away from us lately…even when you're here. What's happening to you?"

Kagome finally looked at her mother. "I'm…" She broke off, unsure how to continue. "I feel that I don't belong here, Mama. That…" She stopped in mid-sentence, whirling around to look out the window again. A tall, white-haired figure was walking slowly out of the well house. Kagome threw her mother an apologetic look as she ran down the stairs to meet Inuyasha.

"Kagome…" Her mother shook her head as her daughter freely ran to the demon Inuyasha.

"Inuyasha! What are you doing here?" Kagome was far from being unhappy, but she was surprised. Inuyasha hadn't visited her world all that often-he said it was hard to breathe there.

"Feh. I need a reason now? I just came to see when you were coming back." He smirked at her. "Kaede wants you to tell her more about this time, and stuff, I guess."

Kagome's eyes dropped for a moment. "Oh." She didn't really expect him to admit that he wanted to see her…and she wouldn't *tell* him that she could almost feel his emotions as clearly as her own. He'd probably get pissed about that and avoid her for weeks, muttering things about privacy and stupid humans.

He looked embarrassed. "I know that you just got back and all…but…when are you coming back?" Her eyes widened, and she smiled at him.

"Soon, Inuyasha." She looked longingly toward the well that allowed her to slip through two different times, to see the man that she knew that she loved…She made up her mind, walking ahead of Inuyasha to the well house.

"Maybe now." She called out to him, grinning, and climbed into the well before he could stop her.

Inuyasha froze for a moment when he hit the bottom of the well. He knew there was something wrong, and he leapt to the forest floor in a few seconds, to see Kagome being dragged away by a youkai. The youkai smirked at him, her snake like eyes full of amusement.

"You want her back? She is yours, I take it." Inuyasha's eyes narrowed, and he looked towards Kagome to see how she was doing. She didn't look faint or even scared. She looked confident at Inuyasha, and he grinned inwardly at the anger that was directed towards the youkai.

"Let her go." He said softly, his voice dangerous. "She is with me." The snake youkai laughed, and lifted the girl in her arms.

"I think not, hanyou. I will take care of her…" Her high pitched voice was cut short when her head was blown off her body, scattering into dust. The rest of the body soon collapsed, leaving Kagome on the ground, safe.

Inuyasha ran toward her, not believing what he had just seen. The youkai had evaporated before his very eyes. He stared at Kagome, and pulled her into his embrace, resting his face in her hair.

"Don't *ever* do anything that stupid again!" He muttered. He pulled away from her to glare down into her eyes. "That was so stupid! You could've been killed."

Her eyes met his, and he was surprised by the happiness there as she wound her arms around his neck.

"I'm so glad you care, Inuyasha."

**

Inuyasha yawned. "So…she used her miko power on a stupid youkai. What does this have to do with anything?"

Kagome glared at him. "Will you be quiet? Haven't you been listening at all to your mother?" She rolled her eyes.

He grinned at her. "Hmph. You're getting *your* spunk back. Yeah, I've been listening to her. "

"Then understand…that was the first time that Inuyasha actually acted like he really cared about her." Kagome turned to Shiru. "Is that where the first parts of the bond really started to form the jewel between the two?" She asked.

Shiru nodded approvingly at Kagome, and frowned at Inuyasha. "At least someone is paying attention to what I've been telling you both. Because of that, Kagome and Inuyasha become closer-much closer than before. Their relationship developed to a point where they did not want to be away from each other-much like when you and Kagome were first mated."

Inuyasha's eyes widened in realization. "Mother…are you telling me that if mine and Kagome's bond develops completely, then we're going to form that stupid jewel?" He asked.

Shiru shook her head. "Yours and Kagome's bond is steadier-you mated, and the bond has had time to develop. Kagome and Inuyasha of the past didn't have the chance to develop their bond the way you did. It was painful for them to be apart for very long, and even Inuyasha couldn't deny the fact that they were connected."

She paused to take a breath, and let some of her words sink in.

"Staying in the past had its on problems, though. Inuyasha was not the only youkai who was in love with Kagome. There was another youkai-a full wolf youkai by the name of Kouga. He wanted to claim Kagome as his own, and hated Inuyasha with a passion for having Kagome near him all the time. He didn't know the reason why they were together, but he knew he'd find someway to get Kagome…"

Inuyasha snorted. "As if Inuyasha'd ever let some wimpy wolf take his woman." Kagome rolled her eyes at the possessive attitude Inuyasha had, then giggled.

"Anyways, go on Shiru, please." Shiru nodded. "There came the day though when Kagome admitted her strongest feelings to Inuyasha, though, and the bond was finally formed to the highest point…and at the verge of snapping…"

**

"Inuyasha?" The hanyou looked up at his name being called, and saw Kagome standing before him, her gray blue eyes staring at the ground.

"What Kagome?" He kept his tone gentle…he sensed something coming to a head with their 'relationship.' As much as he wanted to deny it, he realized that there was no getting around that Kagome and him were bound tighter than he could've ever imagined.

"Inuyasha…I have to tell you this. And please don't interrupt me." Her eyes met his, and he felt his own widen with shock at the unshed tears in her eyes.

"Okay, Kagome." She kept her eyes riveted on his, as if gaining courage by looking at the amber depths, and starting speaking slowly, and his heart ached at the emotion that was in every syllable of the words.

"I guess to get right to it, I love you." She swallowed nervously, and looked away, a blush staining her cheeks. "I've felt connected to you since the first day you pulled me out of the well…and…I've grown to love you." A few tears spilled down her cheeks, and he longed to go to her, and caress her face, wiping the tears away, but he told her that he wouldn't interrupt her.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm going to shatter if I'm not with you…just break apart into a million pieces. I love you so much its tearing me apart…each time I see a youkai come near, I think you're going to get killed…my nightmares get worse every night, and they mainly involve losing you…"

She wasn't even bothering to rub at the tears herself anymore-she just let them run in salty rivers down her face, as she hiccupped slightly with the force of her emotion.

"I want to be with, Inuyasha. Forever. I know a guy is supposed to say that to the girl…but I don't care right now." She sniffled, and faced him again, her eyes rimmed with red. "Please?" The last word came out in a broken whisper, and he went to her, cupping her wet face gently in his hands.

He brushed away the remaining tears, and still didn't speak as he moved one hand to stroke her hair and moved the other around her waist to pull her to him. Without giving it too much thought, he let his lips brush over hers once, twice, gently, and then the third time felt her respond to his gentle caress. It was the first time for him to kiss anyone, and he followed his instincts.

He lightly feathered kisses over her face, her cheekbones and her eyelids that had fluttered closed when he first kissed her. He kissed the tip of her face, and then trailed his kisses to lightly touch behind her ear.

"Inuyasha…" Kagome's voice was soft-breathy, and he felt himself pull to her more, but this time it wasn't painful. This time it felt right to be holding her, instead of pushing away what he felt-to actually be doing what he had wanted to do for so long.

Pulling her tighter into him, he pressed his lips against hers harder, feeling them open under the gentle pressure. He felt a new wave of emotion washing over him…desire, love…need. All of it was overwhelming-but right. He couldn't describe it, but it was almost as if him and Kagome were melding together, hearts beating together as one heart. He felt complete.

He felt her hands move to his hair, tangling her hands in it, pulling him closer to her. He didn't mind the prolonged contact, and continued to kiss her lips, her face, and trailed kisses down her neck where he pressed his lips against the beating pulse that was there. He took a few moments to catch his breath, and simply waited for the emotions to settle themselves.

He became aware of Kagome shaking in his arms, and he glanced down at her, making sure she was okay. She smiled at him, her eyes over bright. "So I take it that's a yes?" He laughed and hugged her, nodding.
"It's a yes."

Kagome had a strange expression on her face as she stared at Shiru. "I…I can almost see that…so clearly." She put one hand to her heart and stared at Inuyasha. "It's so real…"

Shiru sighed. "I know…I'm sorry, Kagome. I…maybe I should wait to tell you the last part…" Her eyes regarded Kagome's confused ones, but Kagome shook her head firmly, letting Inuyasha pull her into his lap once more.

"I know its almost at the end. Tell us, please." She said firmly, and Inuyasha nodded his head above her. He could feel Kagome's distress, and got flashes from his mother was telling him as well. He tried to push away his faint sense of unease. It was like he knew what was coming as well.

Shiru nodded. "Very well. Kagome and Inuyasha became lovers-mates after that. The only time she went back home was to tell her parents that she was staying in the past, and 'not to worry' over her. She knew things were coming to a close with what her dreams had foretold her long ago, and she wanted to be with Inuyasha every moment that was offered to her."

Kagome nodded slowly, her eyes intent on Shiru. "I think…" Her voice trailed off. She *knew*…but she didn't want to voice it out loud.

"At the point in their relationship that was most crucial to them…where their emotions were at their highest, the jewel separated from their bodies, and formed the complete Shikon no Tama. They found out why the youkai always attacked them to destroy the jewel…once the complete jewel was formed by two people of a complete and pure bond, the jewel had the power to suppress youkai everyone. The jewel's power did not leave anyone out-and youkai everywhere were furious at what happened to them."

Kagome spoke up, her voice almost a monotone. "They were attacked…the youkai wanted to get ride of the bearers of the jewel…thinking that if the protectors were gone, then they would have the jewel for their own power. So in the middle of the night, they were killed."

Inuyasha's eyes were pained as he picked up the thread. "Kagome was killed first…Inuyasha was powerless to stop it-he was constrained himself by another youkai, and all his strength could not rip him away from the youkai's grip. The one that killed Kagome was a hanyou by the name of Naraku-the jewel did not affect his as badly, and he was able to kill Kagome. The jewel split apart again-Kagome's soul taking her half of the jewel with her. Inuyasha's soul had become so intertwined with Kagome's by that time, that he couldn't hold the strain of keeping half of the jewel outside of his soul-or living without his mate. He killed Naraku before he died-but he took the jewel with him, the same as Kagome."

Shiru looked at the agony on her children's faces…this was the reason why she had wanted to wait to tell this story to them…to work up with little scenes so that they would not be overwhelmed by the sudden emotion of their last lives…

She finished telling what happened afterward. "After the jewel vanished, the youkai were free again-and angry and what had happened to them-the leader of them was Kouga-who blamed the humans for the destiny that happened to Kagome. He started to kill humans-and then started overruling them…that was when humans became slaves to the youkai."

Kagome shuddered. "And we're supposed to *correct* this?" She asked, her voice disbelieving. Shiru nodded.

"You and Inuyasha can do this together… you are the reborn Kagome and Inuyasha from the Sengoku Jidai…its up to you to restore our world."

Inuyasha looked tired. "I…I can't help but understand and believe what you told us, Mother…but…may we have time to think about this?"

Shiru nodded. "Of course. I expect the best out of you, Inuyasha. I trust the son that I raised." She smiled at Kagome, who gave her a weak smile in response. She looked as stunned as Inuyasha as she stood up on shaky legs.

"Thank you for everything, Shiru…I want to think about this as well." Although my mind is already made up…it was from the start.

Inuyasha pulled her with him as they went back to his room. They both bowed to Shiru, before leaving her alone with her thoughts as they went to deal with theirs.