InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shared Blood ❯ Disguise and Truth ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This was originally going to be the last chapter, but since I found a way to drag it out a little more-c'mon, y'all don't want this to end yet, do you? ^.^ Don't worry, the next chapter is already in the works, and once I finish it, it'll be posted. It should be the last. ^.^ Inuyasha does not belong to me, but this story is wholly my own. Thanks goes to my imouto, Stef-chan, and to Kayla, who both have been very diligent in pre-reading this, and wanting more. Thanks also goes to those who have reviewed thus far. It means a lot to see that this has generated such good feedback.

Shared Blood

Chapter Sixteen

By: Lazuli

lazulidreamer@yahoo.com

Kagome's eyes widened as she looked up at the person she ran into and her heart almost stopped. "You…" She whispered.

~~

Shiru sighed softly, picking up the strewn materials in her son's room. He hadn't changed much from his old life-was still messy and too lazy to clean up after himself. She bit her lip as she picked up the pile of dirty laundry. He was worse than usual, though-ever since he figured Kagome could be alive, he was searching for her everywhere…but obligations of this life stinted his searches a great deal, and she wondered if he would find her anytime soon. It had been three weeks since this new life started for all of them. Some of them remembered the truth, some didn't. Her own mate was not aware of the change, and Shiru didn't have the heart to tell him.

She missed Kagome's presence…she changed her son so much…and while Inuyasha wasn't reverting back to his old self, he was getting withdrawn and bitter. She missed her happier son…when he was relaxed, smiling, and protective over his mate. She closed her eyes, almost able to see the two together again.

~~

Sango rolled her eyes and brushed off her uniform, one hand steadying Kagome. "Long time, no see." She said calmly as Kagome tried to recover herself. "How have you been, Kagome?"

"S-Sango?" Kagome finally got out. The tall girl nodded, her black hair swinging casually from the high ponytail. "How are you here?" She asked. It couldn't be the same Sango. Yuka and her mother weren't the same. She must've known Sango from before, although no part of her memories supplied information to confirm this.

"I don't really know, Kagome. You and Inuyasha set this up, didn't you?" Sango didn't look angry with her anymore. She looked…grateful. "Gods, what…a thing to do!" She muttered. "You two gave up each other for this?" At Sango's questioning look, Kagome nodded, tears in her eyes.

"It's been so hard, Sango…" Kagome whispered.

Sango sighed. "I wish I could say the same, but Miroku follows me around like he still owns me." She rolled her eyes. "I'm not his slave anymore." She said proudly.

Kagome nodded, grinning, but then a wave of nausea washed over her, and she gave Sango a weak smile. "I'll be right back." She muttered, and dashed off towards the bathroom.

Sango rubbed her eyes. One moment Kagome was there, and the next moment she was gone. Walking casually towards the bathrooms, she leaned against the wall, waiting for Kagome to emerge.

She came out a few minutes later, her face pale. Sango raised an eyebrow. "Kagome…are you okay?" She asked. "You really don't look so well. Is it because you are away from Inuyasha?" Her voice was soft.

Kagome shook her head. "It's not that… the pain…with Inuyasha…is different." Her voice was low. "This is…I feel really sick to my stomach."

Sango's eyes widened in realization. She didn't think something like that could be possible, but…"Kagome…" She said slowly. "Do you think its possible you might be pregnant?"

Kagome's eyes widened as she stared at Sango, one hand going to her stomach. "How can that be?" She whispered. "I can't be pregnant…I mean…" Her voice trailed off uncertainly.

Sango rolled her eyes. "Nothing else about you has changed after you mated with Inuyasha, has it?" She asked. At Kagome's nod, Sango went on. "If you and him made a baby before you reversed everything, then why would that life be denied, hmm?"

Kagome nodded weakly, then gasped as a wave of pain washed over her. She went to her knees, clutching her side, tears in her eyes. That pain…it wasn't from her-it was from outside herself…Inuyasha! Her mind cried. She felt him…she reached out, unaware of the concerned look Sango was giving her, kneeling by side. She was only lost in her own mind as she passed out.

~~

Miroku ran a hand through his hair, exhausted. He didn't realize how hard it would be to find one person in the city of Tokyo. And Inuyasha could not even BE in Tokyo. He could be in the country. He didn't know. It wasn't as if there was a last name to go by-Inuyasha was always Inuyasha. What was he going to ask? "Have you seen a boy around seventeen years of age with silver white hair and dog ears?" They'd hunt him down, and kill him. Miroku already figured out that youkai weren't really welcomed in this world, and that the ones remaining were carefully hidden-wearing disguises of all kinds. Kitsune magic was prominent in the city.

"Inuyasha, where ARE you?" He muttered, rubbing his eyes tiredly. He wanted to tell his cousin that he found Kagome-it seemed to be a recurring theme to find his cousins mate when he was away from her. Especially when he knew the two would need each other very soon.

~~

Inuyasha glared fiercely at the playground outside, wondering why he had to stay in this stupid school when all he wanted to do was look for Kagome. He knew that half of this school was full of youkai's in disguise. He never smelled so many people using kitsune magic before-or more complicated spells that they wore around them. He was surprised that no one had found them out…he was just glad he wasn't found out yet-he didn't enjoy the thought of being hunted-if word got out that he was a hanyou, neither the youkai or humans would accept him. Or let him live for that matter.

A noise behind him made him turn around, and he looked into the familiar brown eyes of Kikyou, and sighed. Apparently this girl was after him or something. He wished that he could toss her out the window behind him-he forcefully reminded himself that this wasn't the same girl that tried to kill Kagome.

"Oh, Inuyasha…are you taking me to the Sakura festival?" Kikyou blinked her eyes innocently at him, and he suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. Why would he take this twit to something like that? Didn't the girl take the hint that he didn't want her around? Wouldn't even want her around even if he *didn't* think of her as that other self of hers?

"No, Kikyou." He said patiently. "I have someone else." He looked at her calmly. "I'm sure there are plenty of other guys that would like to go with you." He turned around again, tryin to trace Kagome with his mind. There had to be some link between them still. He refused to believe that all connections were gone. Something had to be left.

"No, Inuyasha. I don't think that you understand." Inuyasha's head snapped around at Kikyou's tone of voice. "You are going to go with me, or lots of people are going to find out that secret of yours."

Her smile was knowing, and Inuyasha eyed her warily. "What do you mean, girl?" He asked cautiously. She couldn't know what he was-only a miko could sense that.

"What you are…Inuyasha. Your name makes it rather obvious, don't you think?" Her voice was taunting, as she stepped closer to him. "Where are the ears, Inuyasha-sama?"

Inuyasha hid his surprise, regarding her carefully. "Why the -sama, Kikyo?" He asked quietly. "I'm certainly not your better. We're equals, aren't we?"

Kikyou laughed. "Not always!" She laughed. "I remember you-of course I remember you. I wanted to be your personal slave. I wanted the position you chose that dimwit for. Instead you had me killed…oh, I remember you well, Inuyasha. Now I hold this above you…"

"You backstabbing bitch!" He growled out. Why did this moron have to be born near him, instead of his mate. He jumped off the ledge, pushing past her. "I don't really care about what you're talking about, girl." He bit out. "I'm going to go home, so I can find my mate."

Kikyou shook her head, a smirk gracing her face. "Your mate?" She questioned. "You actually think something like that carries over?" She stepped closer to Inuyasha, her eyes carefully checking the hallway. When none appeared, she turned back to him, one hand going to his face, caressing the cheek. He snarled at her, and moved to jerk away from her. Her iron grip on his arms prevented him from moving, and suddenly he felt fear…

A few minutes later, fire raced through his veins as he was slammed directly with miko power. He fell to his knees, feeling like he was getting burned from the inside out. He bit back his cry of pain, and instead glared at Kikyou, managing to lash out at her with one hand. She jumped away from him, but her hate still danced in her eyes.

"I once loved you, Inuyasha…" She said softly. "But…now I'm going to make sure you die."

~~

Sango looked at Kagome worriedly. "Kagome?" Her friend had fallen to the floor, her face blank. Now her eyes were open, and held fury in them.

"He's hurt." She bit out, her anger moving through her voice until it was an almost tangible force. She sat up without assistance, fury blazing in her gray-blue eyes. "I'm going to *kill* whoever hurt him." Unknown to her, a low growl formed in her throat, startling Sango.

"Kagome…calm down, please!" Sango pleaded. She was afraid that she was going to tear the school apart to get at her mate. Kagome wasn't listening, and her expression was void of emotion except fury. "Kagome! It's not good for your baby!"

Her face draining of all color, Kagome took a shuddering breath. "You're right." She said dully. "Inuyasha…" Her voice came out in a broken whisper. Her hands clenched at her sides. "I know he is here now." She said softly. "I can feel him again…he's been hurt, badly."

Biting her lip, Sango gently touched her shoulder. "I'll help you find him, Kagome. Don't worry." Kagome suddenly collapsed bonelessly underneath her, and Sango tried to grab her as she fell to the floor. "Kagome! Kagome!"

~~

Inuyasha closed his eyes in pain. He was losing consciousness fast, and he struggled to keep awake. Kikyou's eyes were blank, and he was scared for himself…he knew that if he let Kikyou kill him, he would *never* see Kagome again. Finally, the pain overwhelmed him as he fell to the ground.

~~~

Kagome looked around her surroundings. They were familiar, and her eyes immediately began searching for the one person that shared it with her. Her heart started beating fast, and she had flashes of pain running through her as well as intense joy. She was going to go crazy if she didn't see her mate soon, when she knew he was nearby.

"Inuyasha!" Her voice seemed muffled by the darkness surrounding her, but she didn't give up. She started walking towards his presence. She had to find him soon. She started walking with her eyes closed, heightening the sensation of *him.* Running into something, she opened her eyes to look into Inuyasha's.

She didn't have a chance to breath or respond before his arms were wrapped around her body, pulling her to him, his lips fiercely claiming her own. She returned the kiss just as quickly, and was glad that there was not the need for breathing in the dimension, that they could hold each other for as long as needed. She finally broke away though, her face inches from his, her arms tight around his body.

"Kagome…" His rough voice sounded on her ears, and she stared up at him, unbelieving that he was actually here, that her arms were so tightly wrapped around him. She leaned up, nuzzling his neck.

"I've missed you, mate." She whispered. "It's hell without you…but you're here." She pulled away for a moment. "How are you here?" She asked. "I thought you would have died…in the past…" Her eyes were bright with unshed tears.

Inuyasha smirked. "You think I'd leave you alone here? You know how weird of a time it is?" He asked. "There are tons of youkai about, but we're hidden-we have to disguise ourselves." He looked worried, and Kagome felt the emotion transmit over to her.

"I felt something." She said slowly. "Who hurt you?" She demanded. "Who hurt *my* mate?" Her tone was low with anger, directed towards the one who touched Inuyasha. Her mate winced, and she frowned at him. "Tell me."

"It's Kikyou." He murmered. "She's a miko, apparently…and she packs quite a punch…" His voice drifted off. "Makes me glad I never made you that angry." He grinned at her, trying to relieve some of the tension.

Sighing, she leaned against him again. "I want to be back with you." She whispered. "You remember that well house I used to live at?" She asked. At Inuyasha's nod, she continued. "It's not just that anymore. There's a house and a shrine and everything." Her voice was quiet. "My mother is still alive, and my grandfather…Souta doesn't hate me. It's a family-but…" Her lip trembled. "I don't want it! I want you."

He stroked her hair. "Shh, love…I know." He kissed the top of her head. "Now that I know where you are-I'm coming for you. You're mine…" He winced again. "As long as that bitch doesn't get me first."

Kagome's eyes narrowed. "I won't let her, Inuyasha." She said fiercely. "You're mine-like I'm yours." Her expression was serious as she cupped his face tenderly. "I don't want anyone to hurt you-remember? I said I'd protect you, too."

He nodded. "My family…we live out in the country." He whispered. "I go to this…school…Midori Academy." He made a face. "It's so ridiculous. I don't need to be there-the stuff we are taught is stupid."

Kagome laughed. "I'm sure." She said dryly. "I don't want to leave you." She whispered. "I want to stay here forever." Inuyasha shook his head.

"We have to find each other, Kagome. So I can hold you in my arms for real." Kagome nodded.

"Inuyasha…also…" Her voice dropped down lower. "I…I think I'm pregnant." She whispered. "You're going to be a father." Her face was happy looking up at him, and his eyes widened.

"Father?" He stared at her. "Our child?" He hugged her again, this time gentler, wary of the new life within her.

"Gods, Kagome…come to me, soon…" He kissed her again, and poured his emotion into the kiss, his lips tracing gently over hers, then moving to her cheeks, softly kissing the skin there. She sighed and leaned up to his touch, arms wrapped around his neck, to pull herself as close to him as possible.

He gently pulled away from her, his eyes serious. "We have to find each other, Kagome. This gives us hope." He frowned, and seemed to be concentrating on something-his intent was obvious when he started to fade in her arms.

"Inuyasha! Don't go yet!" Kagome clung to him, crying. "I still…" He put a gentle finger to her lips, quieting her.

"We're going to meet soon, right?" He asked, smiling. "Don't worry so much." He vanished completely, and Kagome found herself staring into Sango's concerned eyes.

"I know where he is." She said. Sango's eyes widened. "I need to get out of here…he needs me, now."

~~

Kagome's mother looked up in shock at her daughter running up the steps to the house in bounds…almost like she was flying up the stairs in her haste to get to the house. Something about her daughter had been bothering her since that day she had seen her tearing her room apart-but now things were getting even stranger. It was about time she asked some questions.

She stood in front of her daughter, her expression determined. Kagome stopped dead, and stared at her mother, a strange expression on her face…resignation? As if she knew that this day would come.

"Mother…" Kagome's voice was low, and there was something hidden in the tone that made her shiver. "I can't…I can't talk to you now. I have to go somewhere. Please." Her eyes were pleading, and the desperation lurking in the back of them made her falter, but she firmed up her mouth. She wanted an explanation now.

"Now, Kagome. In the house. I need to talk to you." Kagome sighed, and gave in, following her mother to the house.

~~

"Kagome…" She looked up at the sound of her voice, her eyes narrowed. She didn't want to be here…she needed to be with Inuyasha. "I demand some explanations. You've been keeping something from me. What is it? Are you pregnant or something?"

Kagome's eyes widened, and she snickered. "Well, that's part of it." She muttered. She ignored the shocked look her mother gave her.

"You're pregnant?" She exclaimed, and Kagome shrugged lightly, her eyes unconcerned over her mother's anger.

"I think I am." She said softly. "I can't tell yet, but it seems that I could be." She tilted her head. "Tell me, Mother-have you noticed any other changes about me?" Her hands were folded demurely in her lap, and she looked up at her mother with a slight smirk.

Her mother glanced at the hands, and her eyes widened. On the tips of the fingers weren't regular nails…they were sharpened claws. Now that she had noticed that difference-she wasn't sure how she missed it before-she began to notice other changes.

Her daughter's facial structure was more pointed…making her look more mature. The pupils of her eyes had an almost unnoticeable slitted appearance, and her whole body structure seemed different from the sixteen year old girl that she had seen a few weeks ago. She was almost a different person-and that scared her.

"Who are you?" Kagome was amused at her mother's response. Not 'what happened to you' but 'who are you.' It was strangely fitting.

"I'm your daughter…but I'm not your daughter." She finally said. "I…I guess that I've lived this life, with you, going to school normally. But what I remember the most…is a different life. One that changed me into what you see."

She held up her left hand to show her mother the ring on it. "I was mated in that life-and that is where I am going now-to him. He's hurt, and needs me." Her eyes were bright with tears. "He's a part of me."

"Mated?" Her mother's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Don't you mean marriage, Kagome? The proper word is marriage."

Kagome shrugged. "It wasn't a human marriage." She said. "My mate is a youkai."

"A youkai!" Looking ill, her mother regarded Kagome with a slight trace of fear. "You're a youkai?" She asked.

Kagome shook her head. "Not really…I have youkai blood because of mating with Inuyasha…our bond melded us together, and he gave me his blood so that I could survive." She didn't tell her mother that she was his concubine at first. She wasn't sure how much shock her mother could handle.

"Mother…I will tell you more later. For now, let me go to him. Please." Her eyes were once again pleading, and her mother finally nodded her consent, her mind on other matters. Kagome smiled gratefully at her, and was suddenly gone from the room, only to appear a few moments later wearing red jacket belted over her school uniform.

"I'll be back." She said quietly. "Don't worry about me." Then she was gone again.

~~

Inuyasha shoved Kikyou away from him, his eyes narrowed in pain and anger. After meeting with Kagome-he felt refreshed. Her touch gave him back the strength he needed to fight Kikyou, who sent hell-bent on ending his life.

He paused in the fight, his nose twitching as a familiar scent washed over him. He would recognize it anymore, and he was rewarded when a familiar figure in a red robe and dark hair appeared. He grinned. Apparently that crossed over, too.

His eyes softened, and he ignored Kikyou as Kagome walked up to him, smiling gently. "So you found your way back to me, eh?" He asked, grinning. She nodded and threw herself into his arms, glad to have them around her again, her senses telling her that it was him-even though he looked like a human.

"So why the funny look, Inuyasha?" She asked quietly. She looked around, and saw Kikyou staring at her. She jumped slightly, stunned at the girl appearing again.

"Don't tell me that you are thinking of defying me?" Kikyou questioned, stepping closer to Kagome and Inuyasha. "You are unholy…you deserve to be purified, to have the taint of evil taken away from you."

Kagome backed into Inuyasha, her eyes wide with fear for a moment, then she stood up straight and glared at the girl in front of her, her eyes narrowed in irritation.

"I don't need your purification, Kikyou." She said softly, the tone hiding her annoyance at the one that stood in front of her. "I am just fine as I am. You're the one that deserves to be purified. Your hate is coming off of you in waves."

Kikyou smirked. "I am a miko, you are not. You're nothing but a worthless youkai…can't you see that you are evil? Just accept it."

The crowd that was slowly forming around them gasped in unison, glaring at Kagome with fear-filled eyes, and a few stood watching with amusement at the proceedings. "Kill the youkai." There was a murmur that ran through the crowd, and Kagome understood why Inuyasha looked so human-it was because of this. Just what type of world had they created?