InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Before the Morning Meal ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.
 
Chapter 13 - Before the Morning Meal
 
 
“Hisoka, what were you thinking? You probably scared her off now!” Yoshikazu scowled at his younger brother before turning away to continue dressing. They had congregated after a quick wash to speak on what had just occurred.
 
“I'm…I'm sorry, Yoshi! I didn't mean to say it, really! It just slipped out!” Hisoka was nearly in tears at the thought of having chased away the one that he and his brothers wanted as their mother.
 
“Don't be so hard on him, Yosh. It was an honest mistake. You know we all wanted to ask that. Besides, I don't think it scared her off. She did say that she would visit and that maybe father would bring us to see her as well.” Shinji felt bad. It truly wasn't Hisoka's fault.
 
“Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that father will definitely want to see her again,” Hitoshi chimed in.
 
“Father has had a strong interest in her girl for some time. Add to that the fact that he held her in his arms as he slept and I think we have a strong chance.” Akihiro always was the logical one. The others nodded their agreement.
 
“Yeah, okay, so maybe we haven't lost yet.” Yoshi smiled a bit at Hisoka who visibly calmed.
 
“I got the feeling she was saying no mostly because of father. She hesitated for a long time waiting for him to answer. Remember Rin and Jaken's stories? Father has always made his dislike for humans known in her presence. It's almost like he is trying to convince himself! I bet he regrets it now!” Hitoshi laughed aloud at his own comment. The thought of their proud father wishing he had kept his mouth shut was just too much. Soon the others joined in, their laughter carrying away any sadness and worry they held. They rushed to finish dressing, all in a hurry to see the miko again and no one wishing to be late and possibly incur their father's wrath.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
The search had been on for a whole day and yet his Saimyosho had yet to locate the girl. They had scoured everywhere Naraku could think of, everywhere they could reach. Of course there were a few places he couldn't see. The Western palace was still under a barrier, which was still pissing him off by the way. There were a few other barriers throughout Japan where his insects could not venture, but Naraku was fairly certain she was not in them. The Northern palace was always under a barrier, as the Lord of the North had a thing about his privacy. There were also several remote shrines and temples spread about that maintained barriers as well.
 
He could find no reason for her to be with the Northern Lord and she would not have been able to reach any of the other locations within the amount of time since he had seen her last though Kanna's mirror which had been when she had foiled Kikyo's spell on that idiot Inuyasha. They were too far away from her last known location and very difficult to reach by foot. No, she wasn't there either. So where in the seven layers of hell was she? Was it possible that some rogue demon had simply killed and eaten her? While he found the idea fairly entertaining, it wasn't to his advantage if she was already dead. No, she would only be fun if she was alive.
 
He had ordered Kanna to show him her mirror constantly since he had sent out the spies, vigilantly checking on their progress. He was a half-demon obsessed, even more than usual. Every now and then he would have her attempt to show him the girl but every time the mirror only swirled and swirled, disobeying his command. He was getting frustrated now but he was determined to get what he wanted. He would find the girl before her friends could rescue her. Then he would let them worry for a while until they had given her up for dead and then he would start the show. Yes, he had it all worked out in his evil little mind's eye and he would have his way.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagome sat on the edge of the futon, looking around the room she was now alone in. She had never seen such beautiful furnishings! The futon was raised and quite resembled a western style four poster bed. The bed was surrounded by silver silk that was tied back at the four corners, holding them open, but they could be closed for privacy. The bedding was also made of silk in silver and shades of blue ranging from the softest baby blue to a dark navy. There was a multitude of pillows in the same shades resting at the head of the bed.
 
Looking away from the bed she saw a fireplace with a mantle which appeared to be carved from one large piece of a soft gray stone. Above the mantle hung a portrait of what could have been any one of Sesshoumaru's pups, except that the boy in the painting held no smile and had the crescent moon only present on Yoshikazu and Sesshoumaru himself. She held no doubt that it was indeed a young Sesshoumaru painted there. She found herself wondering why even at this young age he wasn't smiling? Instead, the longer she stared at it the more she got a feeling of sadness coming from the portrait. Kagome was startled from her near trancelike gaze at the portrait of the young demon lord by a soft voice.
 
“Excuse me, Lady Kagome.” Kagome looked towards the source of the voice. Standing just inside the door was young female youkai. Kagome wasn't sure what kind she was but she suspected a bird of some sort. The girl had short golden hair ending just below her chin that was perfectly straight and shone like the sun. Her eyes were turquoise and held a shy reserved look. She was wearing a plain tan kimono tied with a matching obi of a slightly darker shade. Kagome's inspection was cut short by the voice once more. “I have been sent by Lord Sesshoumaru to assist you in your morning preparations for the day. Please follow me.” The girl walked across the room and stopped at a door on the right of the fireplace that Kagome had failed to notice before. On second glance, Kagome noted another door on the left side. The servant opened the door and waited patiently for Kagome to rise.
 
Kagome was finally able to break from her musings and remember her manners. “I'm sorry. I guess I'm still not quite awake. What is your name?” Kagome asked this while walking across the room to the doorway. She froze mid-step with a gasp. Behind the door was a beautiful hot spring! The spring itself was carved into the floor in a large circular shape and Kagome noticed that there was a ridge just perfect for sitting and relaxing. It reminded her of a modern day hot tub! The water ran slowly through, entering on one side and flowing out on the other. The gentle movement kept the water fresh and clear and at what looked to be the perfect temperature from the steam in the room.
 
The youkai handmaid giggled quietly at Kagome's dropped jaw. When she managed to contain herself she spoke again. “I am so sorry, Lady Kagome. I should have introduced myself. My name is Natsuko. I see you approve of your bathing area?”
 
“Please, no lady. My name is Kagome, and yes, I love it!” Natsuko giggled again at Kagome's enthusiasm before nudging her gently. Kagome got the hint and moved into the room. Natsuko followed and closed the door behind them before moving to Kagome to assist her in removing her sleeping yakuta. It was her turn to freeze in place with a gasp as she caught sight of the markings adorning the miko's left arm. When Kagome noticed where Natsuko was looking she asked her about it but the girl immediately changed the subject, refusing to explain. She helped Kagome into the spring and insisted on washing her hair despite the objections, but Kagome insisted on washing her body without assistance. It wasn't like her arms were broken and she refused to be lazy. Once finished, she helped Kagome into a fluffy white robe and led her back into the bedroom through the connecting door.
 
Natsuko immediately went to the door on the other side of the fireplace and opened it to reveal either a huge closet or a mid-sized room depending on your point of view. Either way, the walls were lined with rows and rows of beautiful kimonos. There was also a section of shelves holding hundreds of pairs of silk slippers. In the center of the room was a bench, the top padded and covered by dark blue silk. Kagome gasped once again at the sight of it all. The handmaid on the other hand did not seem at all surprised and simply went in and looked through the choices before pulling out a pale blue kimono, the bottom and sleeves decorated with sparking dark blue stars. She then selected a silver obi and silver slippers and proceeded to help Kagome dress. Once finished, she sat the miko down in front of a dressing table Kagome had not noticed before. Kagome gazed at herself in the mirror while Natsuko expertly brushed her hair then swept it up in a messy bun, curling tendrils to frame her face.
 
“All done!”
 
Kagome stood and observed herself in the mirror. Never before had she looked or felt quite so feminine! Finally she snapped out of it. “Thanks so much, Natsuko! I can't believe that's me!” Natsuko only giggled once more before leading Kagome out the door.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Once he left Kagome, Sesshoumaru stopped by his own room to dress for the day before heading to his study. Kagome's surprise should have arrived by now. He entered and sat, calling for Jaken. As always the toad came running and skidded to a stop in front of his desk, nearly slamming into another chair in the process. He bowed low before his lord, pressing his green beaklike mouth to the floor.
 
“Yes, my Lord, what can this lowly Jaken do for you, my Lord?”
 
“Has the item I sent for arrived?”
 
“Yes, my Lord, it has.”
 
“Good. I would like it to be delivered to the garden after breakfast. I shall present it to her then. And Jaken?”
 
“Yes, my Lord?”
 
“Make it look good. This is very important and if she fails to be impressed I will hold you responsible.”
 
Jaken visibly gulped before nodding his head repeatedly. “Yes, my Lord.”
 
Sesshoumaru did not bother to look at the toad before motioning his dismissal. His mind was elsewhere. He really hoped she liked his surprise. Maybe she would like it so much she would thank him with a kiss? His mind was once again filled with the memory of her soft lips, both in the dream and when he had extracted his youki. Now if only he could manage a kiss while she was conscious!
 
His thoughts drifted to the marks given by his pups. Now they would sense if she was ever in danger. He found himself slightly jealous of their connection with the miko, before finding being jealous of his own pups ridiculous. Besides, he could fix that. It would be easy enough to add his own mark of protection. That decided, he once again allowed his mind to return to the kiss.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Shippo woke with a start. He felt her, he was sure of it! He didn't know how it was happening but he also didn't care. He could feel his Mama again! She seemed to be pretty far away but he still felt her and now he knew that she was okay, that she was still alive!. He sat for quite a while just reveling in the feeling. It was weak because of the distance but he was sure that it was her. But he was confused. Where exactly was she? Since he knew she was well then where could she be? He knew she was not with Kouga's pack, which he had before considered an option, because he knew Kouga's den rested to the east of Kaede's village and he felt his Mama to the west. Who did she know in the west and why would she go with them without saying anything? His worry returned now as he tried to figure it out. Someone they knew was to the west, now who was it? The kit sat and wracked his brain for several minutes before he got frustrated and decided he didn't care who she was with, he wanted her now! He hopped up and ran past Kaede so fast that she nearly fell over.
 
“Shippo? Shippo!” Kaede called after the kit but before she could blink he was out of sight. She had never seen him move so fast. She had a guess as to where he was going as she could feel her as well but she worried that he would not make it so far alone. Maybe he would realize it too. Hopefully he would come back soon.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kouga had been running for hours. `Where could she be? How could dog breath have lost her? The idiot! I should never have left her with him to begin with. Now my woman could be in danger and no one knows where she is. And on top of that Naraku is looking too!' As soon as he thought that he ran even faster. If that was the case then he had to hurry! He had searched over nearly all of the northern territory himself. His wolves he had sent everywhere but the west. If they had found her he would know so he had to continue. The idiot dog and Kagome's friends had decided to check the south and he had sent wolves there as well, so west was all that was left. He had to be the one to find her. If he found her then he could convince her that she would be safer with his pack than with the half-breed who couldn't be bothered to show up to meet her! He was sure she would see things his way and then everything would be right with the world, well, beside Naraku. It seemed that he had two annoying hanyou that needed to be taken care of.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagome followed behind Natsuko, carefully taking in everything. The walls of the palace seemed to be carved out of a solid piece of shining white marble. The walls and floor of the halls gleamed in the sunlight streaming through the windows placed here and there. She passed countless priceless looking wall hangings and beautiful portraits. There were small tables strategically placed, each holding beautiful vases full of wild flowers. `Now I bet Rin had something to do with all these flowers.' Kagome grinned at the thought. When they finally stopped outside of massive carved wooden doors she fully understood why she had needed to be led. They turned so many times she thought for sure they had gone in circles! She looked up to the doors and admired the carving. Each door was decorated with what looked to be Sesshoumaru in his true form, although it could have been his father as well. The huge dog demons were shown from the side, each facing in towards the small crease between the doors, and were surrounded by clouds. It was breathtaking.
 
After allowing her a moment to inspect the door, Natsuko opened them with ease, a feat that had Kagome's eyes wide. Those doors had to weigh a ton! But then, Natsuko was some kind of demon. Kagome took a few steps into the dining room before stopping in her tracks.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Author's Note: Natsuko - summer child