InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ I Must Be Dead and First Blessings ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.
 
Chapter 15 - I Must Be Dead and First Blessings
 
 
Kagome was in shock, or dreaming. Yeah! That had to be it. She must be dreaming because there was absolutely no way that she was walking arm in arm with Inuyasha's full demon older half brother through the halls of his palace while sporting a new blush just thinking about his flirtatious comments. She had to be dreaming or maybe she was dead. Yes! Now that would certainly explain it. She had to be dead because not even in her wildest dream would the silver haired Adonis that is Sesshoumaru flirt with her or allow her to touch his person, let alone instigate it. Yes, it was decided. She was dead. Oh well, then she might as well enjoy it.
 
Sesshoumaru walked alongside the flustered Kagome, attempting to follow her thoughts by the changes in her scent. She smelled overwhelmingly confused and then embarrassed. He glanced over to catch the blush spreading once again across her delicate cheekbones. Then it seemed she went back to confused, then slightly depressed. However, he was quite pleasantly surprised when her scent shifted from depressed to happy and what was that? He took in a deeper pull of her scent and nearly fell over. She was aroused! What in the world was the girl thinking over there?
 
Right now he really wished he could see into her mind as he had been able to do when she was still unconscious, but she now only held a tiny bit of his youki, not enough it seemed to allow him access to her thoughts. Somehow though, they had still shared another dream. He made a mental note to look in the library to figure out why she had held onto a part of his youki and what to do about it but the thought left as quickly as it came as her scent spiked again. He very nearly stumbled as his head got fuzzy, swimming in the most wonderful scent he had ever experienced. Once again his beast was purring, very pleased with its current environment.
 
And what was Kagome thinking that was causing her scent to spike so? She had allowed her mind to drift to the dream she had been having right before she woke, about how his lips felt pressed against hers, and she began to imagine just what it would feel like to really kiss him. Then add to that how nice it had felt to wake up in his arm with his body pressed tightly against her own and you end up with an obviously aroused Kagome. She was dead after all, so she wasn't worried a bit about any consequences of her thoughts. Since this wasn't really happening then it didn't matter if he picked up a change in her scent. It might even make things more interesting. Nope, being dead had its benefits. She sighed aloud and brought her right arm up and began to caress his only arm, the arm that was looped through her left. She watched as he turned to look at her. He had surprise in his eyes, eyes that were tinted pink along the edges. She heard a rumbling sound and looked around for a moment before she realized it was coming from him. THE Great Lord Sesshoumaru was purring at her touch. If she hadn't already been convinced that she was dead, she definitely was now.
 
It was then she noticed that they'd stopped walking and took the time to look around. She was definitely dead. No way did Sesshoumaru have gardens this beautiful. No, she was in heaven. There was no other explanation. He guided her to a stone bench located in the shade of a sakura tree and motioned for her to sit before sitting beside her. She took a moment to look around before turning to look at him. The garden was beautiful. It was surrounded by a waist high wrought iron fence that was covered in blooming vines. There were more types of flowers than she had ever seen in one place before. Off to the right there was a white marble fountain and to the left was a pond with a bridge crossing over it to continue on to more beds of flowers. The grass at her feet was a bright healthy green and there were trees strategically located, giving shade from the bright sun. When she finally looked over at him, he was smiling again.
 
“I take it you like the garden?” he asked softly. “This was my mother's favorite spot, under this very tree.”
 
“It is a beautiful garden. I can see why she liked it.” They looked into each other's eyes for what seemed like hours before they spoke again.
 
“I have a gift for you. Two actually if you choose to accept the second.” He smiled again before turning his head and shouting “Jaken!”
 
Jaken came scrambling out of the palace doors at top speed. He'd barely made it up from the kitchens in time! He was moving his short little legs so fast that he tripped on a tree root and went flying. What he had been holding also went flying but before Kagome could get out a gasp Sesshoumaru had shot up and caught the flying item. He glared down at the thoroughly prostrated toad who was apologizing profusely before stepping on him while returning to the bench. Jaken squawked for a moment, though the sound was quite muffled, flailing his arms and legs as he tried to pry his face out of the dirt where it had become embedded when his lord had stepped on him. When he finally managed to extricate himself he started to apologize again but when Sesshoumaru shot him a look promising death he ran for his little green life. If one had looked at the ground where he had been, one would have found a perfect Jaken beak mold, just add plaster, not that anyone would want a Jaken sculpture. The perfection of the impression of his face was quite amazing. Of course anything Sesshoumaru did turned out perfectly; at least he liked to believe so.
 
Kagome found herself giggling uncontrollably as the little toad fled. Then it dawned on her that as funny as it was, Jaken would most definitely not be present in any dreams of hers, at least not good ones, and was most definitely not included in her idea of heaven. She paled instantly. She had been flirting openly with Sesshoumaru! “Sesshoumaru?” she whispered so low his demon hearing almost missed it. “I'm not dreaming and I'm not dead, am I?”
 
Confusion slid into his gaze for a moment as he heard her question, before his eyes danced in amusement once more as he realized what she was asking. “No Kagome, I assure you that you are quite awake, most definitely alive, and most assuredly delightfully delicious smelling.” He almost laughed aloud as he watched her pale face flood with blood until she looked like a tomato. She groaned and buried her face in her hands. “Why so embarrassed, Kagome?” She shot a glare at him, noting the tiny smirk on his lips before huffing and looking away towards the flowers again.
 
Sesshoumaru smirked even wider and held out the rescued item to Kagome. She looked it over for a moment before accepting it. It was a basket wrapped in silver and blue silk which was tied in an elegant bow over the top of the handle. Kagome looked to him for permission. He nodded and she began to untie the beautiful bow. She paused though when she heard a small whimpering sound. Looking around and finding no source for the noise she continued. She lowered the silk wrappings and looked on in stunned silence for a moment, her embarrassment completely forgotten. In the basket was…
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Inuyasha was fuming. They had rested for two hours and he felt totally refreshed and ready to go but Miroku and Sango were a different story. No amount of poking and prodding could get them to move but that didn't stop the hard headed hanyou. No, he kept on poking and prodding tirelessly until finally Sango rose to her feet.
 
“It's about damn time, wench! We don't have fuckin' time to waste lying around! Kagome is missing, remember?! She could be in trouble right now!”
 
“Inuyasha…” The warning could clearly be heard in Sango's voice and Miroku was quite interested to see Sango hit someone other than himself for a change. He sat up silently and watched the scene continue. “I am only going to say this once. Miroku and I are human. We need more than two hours of rest in a two day period, especially when the two days were spent running all over Japan! Now leave us be. We will get up in a few more hours and then we will continue searching.”
 
“Hell, no!” Inuyasha apparently didn't see the flames dancing around the now livid demon slayer. “You will get up now! I can't have you worthless humans slowing me down! I need to find Kagome!”
 
The pause floated heavily in the air around them and all that could be heard was Sango's breathing. Miroku happened to be holding his breath, glad that it wasn't going to be him this time. “Inuyasha…” her voice was deceptively calm. “We have been looking for Kagome for days longer than you have!” Her voice was slowly rising until she was screaming, causing Inuyasha's ears to plaster to his head both from fear and to protect his sensitive hearing. “We were the ones waiting for her. We were the ones worried about her! We were most definitely not the one chasing after Kikyo. We certainly weren't the one who forgot all about Kagome for a whole week! Just because you decide to be concerned now does not make you the hero! You could have prevented all of this. If you had been back when you said you would be then Kagome wouldn't have been taken on her way to the village. She wouldn't be in danger. So don't you dare try to make this our fault! The only one at fault here is whoever took her and YOU!” She turned on her heel and returned to where she had been laying. Miroku and Inuyasha made eye contact for a few moments before Inuyasha huffed and dove into a tree overhead, muttering to himself. Miroku smirked. Every now and then he needed to be put in his place and without Kagome around to `sit' him, Miroku thought that his Sango did an excellent job of it.
 
Inuyasha sat in his tree sulking. Sango was right. It was entirely his fault. He failed Kagome. He let her get kidnapped again all because he couldn't let go of Kikyo. All the things Sesshoumaru had shown him flashed before his eyes again and once again he found himself disgusted with his own words and actions. He had to find her. He had to find her and then find some way to make it all up to her. He just had to.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Morning lessons were not going so well. No matter how hard they tried, their instructors could not keep the attention of the pups and Rin. They squirmed in their seats and whispered to each other. After demanding silence and attention for the fifth time in the half hour they had been there they finally gave up and told the young ones to read in groups. Of course they knew that there was no chance of actual reading but it was the only way to stop the stress and allow the pups their freedom without sounding like they were giving in, or so the instructors hoped.
 
Immediately all eight children gathered in a circle to talk. They had plans to make. They were determined to find a way to keep Kagome as their mother. Once Rin heard this she instantly agreed. She proceeded to sate their curiosity by telling the boys everything she knew about the pretty miko and her companions. They listen intently, encouraging her to leave nothing out. She told them of the times she has encountered Kagome and her friends, conveying her impressions of the others in her group. She told them all she had been told by Jaken about Inuyasha and the Jewel, how they were collecting the shards and searching for Naraku which happened to be the mission she had mentioned this morning, and of how Kagome had saved and protected her on several occasions. She also told them about her friend Shippo who seemed to consider the miko his mother, even if she had never heard him say it. Once again a ripple of jealousy ran through the boys. She had taken in the kit and played mother to him but she had refused them. Were they not good enough for her?
 
Hisoka started to cry softly and was soon being comforted by big sister Rin, as they called her secretly when no one was around to hear.
 
“Hisoka, do not cry. Kagome has a big heart. There is room for all of us.” Rin held him close and ran her hands through his hair just as Kagome had done not long ago.
 
“We understand. It's just; we all want her to be our mother. It's obvious that father has an interest in her but I'm afraid he will not swallow his pride and let her know. She will be leaving us soon and then who knows when we will see her again,” Yoshi spoke once again for them all, voicing their greatest fears.
 
“She will return to her pack and forget all about us,” Yuudai whined.
 
“No she won't. Kagome could never forget you. She has never forgotten Rin.” Rin tried her best to reassure the young pups but it didn't seem to help much. The sadness in the room was thick in the air when Jaken entered, still wiping dirt from his face and clothes.
 
“What is wrong with all of you?” he demanded. It wouldn't be good for him if his master found his pups in this state. “Why are you not doing your studies?” He cast a disapproving glare at the hired instructors who were huddled together off in a quiet corner of the library chatting amongst themselves about the interesting turn of events in the palace. They barely acknowledged his presence and offered no explanation.
 
“Nothing is wrong, Jaken. Go bother someone else,” Yoshi snapped at him, causing the toad's large yellow eyes to bulge even more than usual before he turned and rushed out, deciding to find a nice place to hide until everyone returned to normal, for surely they had all lost their minds!
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
“It's a puppy,” Kagome said, stating the obvious. The little thing was rather cute. The silk wrapped basket held a little bundle of black fur with blood red markings on the tips of her ears, in bands around her paws, and striped through her fluffy tail. Her eyes were a strikingly soft grayish-blue.
 
“Yes, she is a puppy but she is much more than that. Kazue is very similar to your slayer friend's fire cat. She is a demon with no human form and she will protect you with her very life.”
 
“Oh, that's sweet Sesshoumaru, but how will I explain this to the others?”
 
“We will think of something. Kazue is very special. Let her show you. Kazue, transform.”
 
The little ball of black fur jumped from the basket held in Kagome's lap to the ground a short distance away. Suddenly there was a bright light shining through a light blue mist and when it cleared, Kazue was revealed in her larger form. Her coloring was still the same except that there were misty blue clouds surrounding her feet. She took off to the sky and flew in a small circle above them before landing and returning to her smaller form once again in a flash of blue mist. She jumped up onto Sesshoumaru's shoulder and whimpered quietly.
 
“Here, let me teach you how to communicate with her. The two of you need to make a connection, similar to that made with my pups. I believe the slayer has a similar connection with the neko, although I do not believe the slayer can speak with the neko as you will be able to speak with Kazue.” The puppy leapt into Kagome's lap from the demon lord's shoulder and stared into the miko's eyes. Sesshoumaru gently took hold of Kagome's right hand and carefully cut a small line in the center of her palm. He was so gentle in fact that Kagome didn't even feel the cut. “This will not leave a visible mark on you but it will form a similar connection. Kazue lifted her front left leg and allowed Sesshoumaru to cut a small line in the pad of her paw. She then placed her paw directly over the small pool of blood forming in Kagome's palm. There was a flash of pink and blue light that rose from her hand and swirled around Kagome's form before settling around Kazue, who now had a small pink teardrop under her left eye just like the mark on the pups.
 
`Hello, my Lady.' Kagome jumped when she heard the soft feminine voice in her head. She looked to Sesshoumaru who nodded.
 
“You do not need to answer aloud for her to hear you. Just speak in your mind while thinking of her and she will hear you. She has the same connection with this Sesshoumaru, so if there is ever trouble she can communicate easily. I have however hidden the mark given by me so that your friends will not recognize it.”
 
“Wow, really? This has got to be the coolest thing anyone has ever given me.”
 
Sesshoumaru furrowed his brow. “Cool?”
 
Kagome looked at him and giggled. “Sorry, I meant that it's wonderful.”
 
“You do have the strangest way of speaking sometimes. Why is that?”
 
Kagome froze at his question. She couldn't tell him! Even if she was starting to trust him she still couldn't tell him where she came from. There were just too many risks! “Umm, well… I suppose it's because I talk like the people from my home village.”
 
Sesshoumaru knew something was up. She suddenly smelled nervous but she did not necessarily lie to him so he decided to let it go for now. He would have time to gain her trust in him and then she would share her secrets.
 
Kagome looked back to Kazue. `So, I guess were going to be spending a lot of time together from now on, huh, Kazue?'
 
`Yes, my Lady. I am honored to be gifted to you by the Great Lord Sesshoumaru. You must be very special indeed and I will be with you always to keep you safe from any who may wish you harm.'
 
`Do me a favor? Just call me Kagome, okay? Are you sure you want to go with me? I have some very interesting friends.'
 
`Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru has informed me of your travel companions so that I know what to expect and can better protect you.'
 
`Well, I hope we can be good friends then since we are going to be together a lot.'
 
`I hope so as well La… I mean Kagome. I look forward to my time with you.'
 
Kagome turned and smiled at Sesshoumaru. He felt his heart constrict at the warmth of her smile, a smile just for him. He had made her happy and now he found himself wanting to do it again and again just to see that smile.
 
“The pups are on their way out to play, along with Rin. Please join me in my study this afternoon and we will discuss my other gift to you as well as what to do about your companions. There are things this Sesshoumaru must take care of or I may never see my desk again.” He rose with a small smile and walked into the palace, barely avoiding being knocked down by the running children. They spotted her and in moments Kagome was ambushed by the overexcited group.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Author's Note: Kazue means branch, first blessing, harmonious. I thought it was fitting as first blessing, she is the first gift Sesshoumaru gives Kagome. Plus it is short and starts with a K like Kirara.