InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Midnight Meetings ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 17 - Midnight Meetings
 
 
Shippo had been running since dawn, and it was now getting dark. His little legs were tired and he was out of breath. While he had running, he had been oblivious to the branches that had caught at his clothing leaving tears behind. He had some small cuts as well on his arms and legs, but they were healing. His mess of hair was wild, and full of twigs and leaves. Slowing to catch his breath for a moment, he took the time to observe his surroundings. The forest was suddenly very scary for the kit who had learned to rely on his pack of protectors. Now he was beginning to question the wisdom of running off without telling anyone, with no supplies, and with no knowledge of where he was really going. He was exhausted. He had never run so far, so fast in all of his young life. Looking around in the fading light, he found a hollow in the bottom of a large tree, and decided to hide out for the night. He would continue his search in the morning, when it was at least a little safer. He crawled in and pulled dried leaves and other debris from the forest floor, making a soft bed in the hollow space, and blocking the opening as much as possible, in hopes that no predators would come by and think him an easy meal. It was within moments that the kit had succumbed to his exhaustion and slipped into darkness, even his mind too tired to haunt him with troubled dreams.
 
~
 
Finally, Miroku and Sango were able to get up and actually function. Inuyasha had left them alone, surprisingly enough, after Sango's outburst, but he was happy to finally be up and moving again. His feelings and thoughts haunted him less when he could focus his mind on running and searching for Kagome's scent. When he had been forced to sit in one place for so long, his brain found the perfect opportunity to torture him further with guilt. They were all worried, though, and without delay, the group was up and running, well, Inuyasha was running. Miroku and Sango were riding Kirara, all on their way back to the village, hoping and praying that Kagome had returned on her own somehow safe, or that Kouga had found her. Anything was better than thinking on what would happen if Naraku was the first to find her.
 
~
 
Kouga awoke again from his rest, this time on purpose, as the sun was setting over the horizon. He stood and stretched, his mind still feeding him images from his latest and best dream yet, before steeling his nerves and heading across the border into the western territories. He hadn't gone far, though, before he caught a familiar scent. It was faint, but he was sure it was the sweet strawberries and cream smell of his Kagome. He turned in the direction, without giving a thought to where it was he was heading, and he was off in a funnel cloud of dust and debris, courtesy of the power of the Shikon shards in his legs. He would be the one to find her, rescue her from whatever had taken her, and he was sure she would be so grateful, he would have her as his mate before the sun rose again.
 
~
 
The castle was settling down to sleep. Dinner had been interesting, with the pups all excited over her new mark, asking questions and telling her about their lessons. All the while Sesshoumaru sat at the head of the table, slowly sipping his sake, silently observing it all, taking in the sight of her on his right, talking with his pups and his Rin. It looked like a real family dinner, and he spent the time memorizing the scene. It was too perfect to forget. After dinner, and some begging, Kagome agreed to tell the children a bedtime story and to tuck them all in. When they had heard she would be leaving in the morning, it was nearly impossible to separate them from her at all, but finally, after an improvised rendition of Beauty and the Beast, which had them all hanging on her every word, she kissed each one on the forehead and whispered sweet dreams, and crept out of the room, only to run face first into a hard white wall, or at least, it felt like a wall. When Kagome finally finished rubbing her now sore nose and cursing under her breath she looked up, only to blush furiously.
 
“My, my, Kagome. Such language from a miko! You have indeed spent too much time with the half-breed. Come, I will walk you to your chambers so you make it before dawn.” Sesshoumaru give her a quick smirk before holding out his arm, which she hesitantly accepted.
 
“Hey, now! It's not my fault this place is a maze! I could have found my room!”
 
“While it is possible, this Sesshoumaru has his doubts. My pups have become more attached to you than I had thought possible in such a short time. I foresee many fights with the hanyou in the future when they insist on visiting, another thing we will have to explain somehow.”
 
“Eh, don't worry too much about it. Inuyasha won't give them a second thought. You know he isn't quite rational when it comes to you. He attacks first and asks questions never.”
 
The deep chuckle that echoed through the empty halls startled Kagome for a moment, before she looked up at him and smiled. “You know, you should smile and laugh more often. It makes you seem less, oh I don't know…deadly?”
 
“Does it now? Well, I can't have that. After all, I am supposed to be the cold, ruthless Demon Lord. If I did not seem deadly, as you put it, then I would be disappointing my enemies.” He shot her a smirk as he paused outside her door. “I will be in the room right next to yours, that door there at the end of the hall, if you have need of me. Sleep well, Ka-Go-Me”
 
The intensity of way he said her name before slipping off into the darkness made her knees weak and sent warmth spreading through her entire body. He was getting altogether too good at that. Somehow, she had the feeling she wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight.
 
~
 
Sesshoumaru had been lying in his bed, tossing and turning for hours. It had to be midnight, if not later, but sleep would not find him. His thoughts swirled around in his head until they became tied in knots. He wanted her to stay, but he couldn't keep her here. He wanted to take her love from his brother, but his brother could not know she had been here at all. He wanted to rub their new `friendship' as she called it in his brother's face, but he could not. It was all so frustrating, and he didn't know where to go from here. How could he show interest in her without the hanyou's interference? How could he spend time with her without the idiot throwing a fit? One thing was certain. Neither brother knew how to or enjoyed sharing.
 
After what seemed like forever contemplating his problems, he decided some fresh air would do him good. He would do a quick patrol of his lands, maybe find something to kill. Maybe that would make him feel better. Within minutes he was dressed, armored, armed, and ready. He leapt from his balcony and over the palace walls, not noticed by even his own guards.
 
~
 
Kouga had been running towards the scent of Kagome for a while, but he could not get an exact fix on where she was. It was like her scent had been spread on the breeze, covering miles of forest. Finally, he took a moment to take in his location and froze in fear. Yes, even the Prince of the Eastern Wolf tribes had someone he feared, and right now, he was much closer to Lord Sesshoumaru's stronghold than he would like. He would have to be quiet, careful, and hide his scent and aura.
 
~
 
Shippo awoke with a start. He didn't know why, at first, but then he felt it. There was a strong demon presence nearby that was trying to hide itself. Being an expert in demon magic, as all kitsune were, he could see through the cloaking. The demon was creeping closer. He was surprised he had not woken before, as the demon was quite close, but then he smelled it and understood. He was wrapped in Kagome's scent. It was heavy in the air, lying like a mist floating around the trees. Her scent must have kept him feeling safe and calm until the demon got too close. Shippo snuggled down deeper, trying to breathe as quietly as possibly, praying the demon wouldn't notice him.
 
~
 
Kouga caught another familiar scent on the air, although there was a desperation carried in the scent he had never experienced from the little demon before. What in the world was Kagome's kit doing out here alone in the dark hiding in a hollow tree? He decided to investigate. If he saved Shippo, then Kagome was sure to be even more grateful than expected. Yes, it was decided, he would protect little Shippo, but first he had to find out why in the hell he was out here to begin with. It was just like that mutt to lose not one but two members of his pack. The wolf moved in closer to where he scented the little fox, trying his best not to frighten him. He most certainly didn't want to have to chase him. The kit would tell Kagome if he frightened him, and Kouga had seen Inuyasha get slammed into the ground enough to know that she protected the kit as her own. He was almost to the opening covered with leaves when he sensed another presence, this one also familiar, but definitely not one he was hoping to come across, rather the one he had been trying to avoid.
 
~
 
Sesshoumaru was moving silently through his lands, lurking like a predator in search of prey, which is what he was at the moment. He and his beast had some pent up frustration they needed to let out, and he knew of no better way than killing rogue demons that thought they could run free in his lands. He had already taken out a small group of snake demons that had been approaching a nearby human village. Despite how he felt about the humans as a race, an opinion that was becoming weaker every day now, the village was still on his lands, and he would be damned before he would allow demons to raid it and kill his villagers. The chase had been fun. The first two he had managed to kill by simply sneaking up on the group and launching a surprise attack. The others though, had run for their very lives, spreading out and trying, hopelessly of course, to escape the overstressed dog demon. He had hunted them down and caught them one by one, and had enjoyed it immensely.
 
He had then been on his way home, when he caught the familiar and very unwelcome scent of wolf. He immediately turned and sped off into the direction where the wolf prince was, intent on removing him from his lands. He couldn't kill the mongrel, for political reasons, but that did not mean he had to allow the demon to roam his lands uninvited and unannounced. By the time the wolf came into sight, the scent of fear had flooded the clearing, drowning out any and all other scents. The wolf was apparently, and rightly so, petrified of him.
 
“Kouga, what is it you think you are doing creeping about my lands in the dead of night?” Sesshoumaru's mask was firmly in place and his voice was deadly calm and full of warning.
 
Kouga stuttered a few times before finally being able to make an intelligent response, well, as much as could be expected from a mangy wolf in fear for his life. “Lord Sesshoumaru,” Kouga bowed low to the ground before continuing. “I apologize for my presence, but my intended has gone missing, and my pack has been searching all the lands for her. We think she may have been kidnapped.”
 
“Oh, Princess Ayame is missing? I had not heard. I would have expected a message from her grandfather.” Sesshoumaru heard Kouga gulp before answering.
 
“No, my Lord. Princess Ayame is not my intended. She only thinks she is. Thick headed that one is. No, my intended is the beautiful Shikon Miko, Kagome. Surely you have seen her. She travels with your broth…I mean you half-brother. He lost her somehow, and I intend to be the one to find her.”
 
The vicious, blood curdling snarl that broke free from the demon Lord made the ookami youkai shake in his fur leggings. Little Shippo, who was hiding the whole time listening in, shivered and almost lost hold of his concealing spell, which he had immediately erected when he had detected the presence of who he now knew had been Kouga. Kouga looked surprised at the reaction, but then figured it had to be the brother thing. Really, he knew better than to mention Inuyasha in Sesshoumaru's presence. He bowed low once again, and began apologizing profusely.
 
“I am so sorry, my Lord. I did not mean to mention the… I mean… I am sorry. I will leave your lands now.” Kouga forget all about following Kagome's scent and the scent of her kit, turned tail, and ran as fast as his shard enhanced legs could carry him out of the western lands. When he had finally reached the eastern borders, he found himself a small cave and sat down to try to stop the fear induced quaking. He was lucky to get away alive.
 
Shippo didn't know what to do. Kouga was gone, but the demon lord remained, vicious snarls mixed with angry growls filling the air. He had never heard Sesshoumaru so angry. Hell, he had never experienced anything but indifference from the demon Lord, even when he was fighting with Inuyasha.
 
“His intended? The miko?” he snarled aloud.
 
`The wolf is delusional. If she had been claimed we would know,' his beast answered him inside his head.
 
The snarls continued for a while as his beast actually tried to calm him, a first, he was sure. How dare the wolf claim what was his? But then that was the problem wasn't it. She wasn't his yet, but he fully intended her to be. The wolf had nothing on him. Even if he had a valid claim on the girl, he would never win the courtship challenge. He probably would go running off with his tail between his legs, conceding without any fight at all. No, nothing would stand in his way. The wolf had brought important information though. Her friends have concluded that she had been kidnapped and were searching. He would have to be careful how he went about returning her to them. He did not want to cause problems for her, no matter how badly he wanted to show up the hanyou again. It would all come out eventually, and he simply needed to be patient.
 
Shippo was quaking like a leaf in a hurricane. He couldn't hold the concealment spell much longer, and he was sure that Sesshoumaru would kill him if he found him. The little kit was straining with all he was worth, but he was still weak after his run and his week of Kagome withdrawal, and he had been holding the spell for longer than he had ever imagined he could. Finally the spell fell.
 
Sesshoumaru whipped his head around, his nose sniffing intently. There was another demon here, one who had managed to stay hidden from him right under his nose! How was that possible? He stalked over to the tree, crouched down, and hauled the little demon out by his tail. He lifted the demon, now known to be a young kitsune, high in the air, so he could look at its face. The scent of fear and despair were thick, and he could tell the kit was exhausted. The little fox was covering his eyes with his paws, too afraid to even look at him. For a moment he contemplated killing the intruder, but then he remembered something. Deciding to check his theory he took a closer sniff, his proximity making the kit burst into tears. Yes, he was right. This was Kagome's kit.
 
“Kit, what are you doing hiding in my lands, alone. Were you with the wolf? Where are the half-breed and the rest of your pack?” Shippo continued to cry, near hysterical, gasping for breath. “Calm yourself kit. I will not harm you. Now answer this Sesshoumaru's questions. I will not repeat myself.”
 
Shippo forcibly calmed himself, his sobs reduced to sniffles and hiccups, as he tried to answer as respectfully as possible. “My…my mama (sniff) Lord Sesshou(hick)maru. (Sniffle) She's been (hick) missing for more than (hick) a week now. I (sniffle) I finally could sense her (hick) again, and I ran to (sniffle) find her. The others (hick) (sniffle) left (sniffle) me behind!” Shippo burst into tears once more, and Sesshoumaru merely set the blubbering kit on his shoulder and began to walk away towards his palace. When Shippo had regained some semblance of control again he continued. “I don't know when Inuyasha and the others (sniffle) are, (hick) they left me with Kaede. I don't know how Kouga (hick) knew she was missing. They must have (hick) run into him.” Shippo paused for a moment when he noticed his new position and Sesshoumaru's movement. “Lord Sesshoumaru, (sniffle) where are you taking me? I have to find my mama! I know she's here (hick) somewhere close! I can smell her now and everything!”
 
“Calm yourself, kit. I am taking you to her.” Sesshoumaru was not accustomed to explaining himself, but then, this kit was different. Though he had never before heard the kit call her his mother, Sesshoumaru knew that Kagome considered the kit her son, and when (no if, definitely when) they were mated, that would make the kit his son as well. He might as well start working on a better impression than he was sure the kit had of him now.
 
“Really?” Shippo nearly shrieked in the demon lord's ear, before he realized it and lowered his voice to nearly a whisper. “I'm sorry, Lord Sesshoumaru, but do you really know where my mama, I mean Kagome is?” Shippo had finally noticed his slip, and hoped that Sesshoumaru had not. No matter how sure he was that she loved him, he was still terrified she would deny him if she knew he thought of her as his mother.
 
“Yes, kit. You will be with her in a matter of moments, but she is sleeping. You must promise not to wake her. She can explain everything to you in the morning.” Shippo nodded his agreement so quickly he got dizzy and nearly fell from his perch. Sesshoumaru leapt over the outer wall and reentered his palace through his balcony doors. He then opened his chamber doors and walked the short distance to the next door on the right side of the hall and quietly opened the door to Kagome's chamber. Shippo jumped silently from his shoulder, and he watched as the kit crept up the bed, climbed in silently, and snuggled against the sleeping miko's stomach. Her arms instinctively wound around him and held him close, and as he started to close the door he heard the kits contented purring sigh. A yawning Kazue looked from her perch near the sleeping miko's head to the kit to the demon lord who merely nodded at her, before curling back up and returning to sleep. Sesshoumaru shut the door silently, trying to fight down the twinge of jealousy that had erupted when the kit snuggled into her arms. He so wanted to be wrapped in her warmth and her scent, just as the kit was now.
 
Shippo reveled in the embrace of his mama. He was confused, but he was exhausted, and finally being back in her arms was too wonderful to be bothered by questions. Questions could be asked later. For now, he would sleep; truly sleep for the first time since she had left them nearly two whole weeks ago.
 
~
 
It was only hours before dawn when the tired group arrived at Kaede's hut, to find not only had Kagome not returned, but that Shippo had run off early that morning and not returned. Kaede once again tried to keep their spirits up, but they were too worried, too depressed, and too exhausted to have any real hope left. And even if they did find Kagome, now they had lost Shippo, and she would never forgive them if anything happened to the little fox child. Things were not looking up for the group, now missing two important members. Their worried thoughts turned to troubled dreams as they slipped off to sleep one by one. Even the hanyou eventually lost the fight to remain conscious, and his dreams were the worst of all.
 
 
 
Author's Note: I hope everyone who was worried about Shippo is happy now. And as you can see, this chapter is why I made Kouga afraid of Sess to begin with (at least, one of the reasons)
 
Jean - I don't really think that her keeping the secret is because she is afraid of Inuyasha. (I certainly don't mean it to be) It's more of a not wanting to deal with it kind of thing. We all know how Inuyasha likes to overreact, and Kagome's never been afraid of him. But she does get frustrated. I see it as avoiding the issue for a while. Don't worry too much, because they will all find out soon enough. Thanks for the comment!
 
Coldmoon - Thanks for the review. I already killed Kikyo. What else would you like for me to do to her? ;-) I don't like her either.
 
Sandreline! I'm glad to see you again! I hope you liked this chapter. The next chapter I really like. It's called Fox in a Dog House. See Shippo and the pups meet. A very interesting breakfast.
 
Koori Youkai Hime, Lena, Leslie, and moonrosesa on ASingleSpark, thanks so much for reading and for the lovely reviews!
 
Monk-Miko  - I do my best to get a chapter up every day. I'm glad you like it, and I hope you feel better now that Shippo has been found. He is a very important little guy. One of my favorites. And don't worry, Sesshoumaru will find a way to stay close.
 
deviousauthoress1 - Good guess. Kouga will sense the marks eventually, but the next time he sees her he's a bit distracted.
 
child_of_the_moon, - I'm glad you liked the Kouga dream. I absolutely could not help but laugh at my own stuff this chapter when Kouga calls Ayame thick headed. I love that part.
 
little189 - Don't worry about Kouga. I'm sure he will eventually find someone who actually wants him who he wants too. He just gets picked on a lot here.