InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Fox Print and Missing One Miko ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 20 - Fox Print and Missing One Miko
 
 
After everyone had eaten, Kagome took the bowls to a nearby stream to wash. Everyone wanted to follow her, but she insisted on taking only Shippo and Kazue, saying that she and Shippo needed some mommy son time, and Kazue could protect them both. No one had been surprised that Shippo had finally started calling Kagome Mama, as they had been expecting for some time now. It took some convincing, and the threat of a three letter word, but finally they were allowed their privacy. Shippo found himself feeling slightly afraid. What was it that Kagome had to say to him that the others could not hear?
 
They walked in silence until Kagome was sure they were out of the hearing range of Inuyasha, and then she began to talk. “Shippo, honey, I… I noticed yesterday, you seemed upset when you saw the marks, and I was wondering, why did you never ask to mark me? I mean, if you don't want to bind yourself to a human, I understand and all, I was just curious.” The last was said in a nervous stream of words, said so quickly Shippo almost missed them. He found himself overwhelmingly relieved.
 
“Mama, no. Of course I would want to bind myself to you. You're my mama, and I love you. It's just, well, you're a miko, and even though I know you are different from all the others, I was afraid you wouldn't want a demon to mark you.”
 
Kagome stopped in her tracks and kneeled in front of the little fox. “Honey, I love you as my own son. I would be proud to wear your mark.”
 
“Really? That would be great! I guess I was a little jealous, when I saw that you had let them mark you, but had never let me.”
 
“I would have sweetie. I just didn't know about it. When they explained the marks, I wondered why you had never asked. Do you know how to do it?”
 
“Yeah. You mean you'll really let me?”
 
“Of course I will. Will you let me give you my mark too? Like I did for the pups? I want to make sure that you are always safe, and the mark gives you some holy powers, and makes you immune to them, so I could never accidentally hurt you, and no one with holy powers could use them against you.”
 
“Yes! Yes, mama. When we're connected, then it will be like you're my real mama! We can feel each other then, and I will always know your safe.”
 
“Tell you what. After we finish washing these bowls, we can do it. Then I'm gonna go home and see my family for a little while, okay?”
 
“Deal!” The two finished their short walk to the stream, trailed closely by Kazue, who was determined to keep a close eye on her mistress. Once the dishes were washed, Kagome sat down, rolled up her right sleeve and presented Shippo with her bare arm. He stood next to her, and traced his paw across her upper arm, cutting four small lines with his little claws, before cutting a line in each little pad of his paw and pressing his paw over her cuts. There was a bright greenish blue flash, and when Shippo pulled his paw away they both marveled at the mark. There on Kagome's arm was a red fox print, surrounded by the greenish blue flames of fox fire.
 
“It's beautiful, Shippo!”
 
“Yeah, it is pretty neat. I didn't know what it would look like.”
 
Kagome then turned to him and told him to be calm and relaxed. She explained that the pups had been unconscious when she had done this, and she wasn't sure if his youki would fight it since he would be aware, so to try and allow it. She then placed a hand over his forehead and a hand over his heart as she had done with the pups, closed her eyes, and focused on what she wanted to do. Shippo kept his eyes closed too and soon felt a flood of warmth surround him. It didn't feel dangerous though, like miko power should, but instead it felt like he was being held in loving arms. The flash of light was visible even behind their closed eyes, and when they opened them Kagome saw the pink teardrop settling under his left eye, giving a soft glow before fading to normal.
 
“I did it! How did it feel?”
 
“It was warm, and it felt like I was wrapped in your arms and surrounded by your love. It was amazing. So it's there then? Can you see it?” Kagome nodded and directed him to look into the stream. He caught his reflection and smiled widely at the mark of his mother on his cheek. Now they would be connected forever.
 
They returned to the village, and Kagome decided not to hide Shippo's mark with the spell. It was under her shirt anyway, and she wasn't ready to let it disappear just yet. Miroku looked at her oddly once again, but no one noticed the new mark on Shippo's face. Kagome gathered her things while having a silent chat with Kazue. She told her she was going home for a few days, and that she would be back, and told her she should wait with her friends in the village. Kazue wanted to go with her, but Kagome told her it wasn't possible and she would see why soon enough. They all escorted her to the well and she hugged each of them tightly before jumping in and disappearing. Kazue sat there shocked for a moment, looking at the others, before deciding to sit and stay right here until her Mistress returned. Shippo had frozen for a moment, his hand over his heart, as he experienced the pain of their connection being cut. They had not thought about what would happen when she went through the well, but now they knew. His eyes widened as he realized what this meant, and then it happened.
 
A blood curdling, heart breaking howl echoed through the land, making everyone's hair stand on end. Whatever had made that sound was big, and scary, and definitely upset about something.
 
~
 
Sesshoumaru was sitting in his library reading up on youki transfer, trying to find out why Kagome had been able to keep a portion of his, how she had been able to hold so much to begin with, as well as to see if he could find an explanation for their mental connection during the time she held his power. He thought her idea was a good one. If he could show Inuyasha the truth then maybe they could be brothers again instead of enemies, which would make his proposition to join their groups that much easier. However, he could find nothing of use. No explanations, no theories, nothing. He had just decided to give up when he felt it. She was gone. He heard his pups let out heart breaking howls as his eyes bled red and he dove out the window to the garden where he instantly transformed and let out an earth shattering howl of his own. It was filled with pain and despair. She was gone! His love, his mate-to-be was gone! But how? He was soon joined in the garden by seven smaller white inus as well as Rin and many servants who had come to investigate the sound.
 
He stood frozen for a moment, baffled, before he barked a few times and leapt away. The smaller forms of his sons followed while one of the servants held Rin back. They had understood their master's orders. `Watch over Rin and keep her here.' He had also called for his sons to follow. In an instant they were all out of sight, running at top speed to the village where he had left her only yesterday.
 
While running he thought. It did not make sense. The only time a bond should have been cut off like this was if she was dead but there had been no warning. They felt no fear from her, no danger, so how could she have died? If she had, he had to get there quickly. He would revive her as he had Rin. He had to find out what happened. He didn't care anymore about keeping the secret from his brother and his group. She needed him, and he would be there.
~
 
There was no warning, no time for grabbing weapons. There had been the howl, followed by a few minutes of silence in which the group had begun to return to the village. They had been surprised by Kazue's lack of response and refusal to follow them. She simply sat next to the well, staring. Then suddenly they were surrounded by a strong demonic aura, which arrived so fast they were nearly knocked to the ground. There, standing above them, was a giant white dog, and surrounding them were seven smaller dogs.
 
“Sesshoumaru,” Inuyasha hissed, before shoving the two humans and the kit on a transformed Kirara and sending them out of the danger zone. Inuyasha was surprised, however, when Sesshoumaru completely ignored him, instead staring at the dumb dog of Kagome's. It looked like they were talking to each other through their eyes alone, which was almost what was happening.
 
Sesshoumaru demanded to know what had happened to Kagome. Where had she gone? Was she hurt? Kazue calmly told him everything she knew, that Kagome had said she was going home and home was somewhere she couldn't follow. She told him of how they had all walked calmly to the well where Kagome said her final good-byes and jumped in. Then she had seen a blue light in the well accompanied by powerful magic and felt her connection cut, which she figured was what had brought them all here so quickly.
 
Inuyasha looked on in shock as Sesshoumaru transformed back into his humanoid form, then turned and spoke in inu to the seven smaller youkai. Why was Sesshoumaru explaining where Kagome went? How did he know? Did the dumb dog tell him? But she hadn't made a sound! Suddenly Sesshoumaru turned on him, glaring at his younger brother, his eyes still red, markings jagged. He looked absolutely feral.
 
“Explain,” was all he said.
 
“What? Explain what you asshole? What makes you think you can come crashing in here and expect me to answer to you?” Inuyasha knew exactly what his brother wanted to know but he didn't know why he wanted to know and that made him frightened, which in turn made him angry. He would not tell his brother about Kagome and the well. He refused.
 
~
 
Hiromi knew the instant her daughter had arrived. She ran out the kitchen door, a dish towel in hand, and looked her over as she exited the well house. `Thank Kami! She has met the third requirement! No need of my mediocre acting abilities!'
 
“Kagome! Welcome home dear! I'm so glad to see you.”
 
Kagome froze in place. Wait a minute. Her mother wasn't running for her in tears, afraid she had been dead all this time? What in the world was going on here? “Mama? Are you okay?”
 
“Yes, dear. I am fine. Everything is perfect now! It is finally time! Come inside dear, and put down your heavy pack. There are some things we need to talk about.”
 
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: Please don't shoot me for ending there. I promise chapter 21 will be up tomorrow, and it contains the hinted at `prophecy'.
 
 
Thanks to marquishawright, Rakuya, Trice, Michelle, and Siruka for your great reviews.
 
Jean - That scene is one of my favorites too, how they are all there looking for comfort in her scent. “Soon the bed once again held eight dog demons, but it was missing one very important miko.” Probably one of my absolute favorite sentences. Is it silly to have a favorite sentence in your own story? Thanks again for reviewing!
 
Arryelle - I'm glad my story makes you happy. Your reviews make me happy, so were even. It's going to be an interesting decision when to end it, but don't worry, it is a long, long way off. I'm trying to decide if I should have a certain number of chapters and then break to a new listing like a part two, or book 2 kind of thing. The way things are looking, this is going to be well over 100 chapters, so help me out here. Do you think I should break it up at a certain point or just go on and on?
 
Qarry - Your review put a smile on my face for the entire day. I'm so glad you like it so much, but there are quite a few amazing stories up here. I know. I think I've read them all. I hope you continue to enjoy the story!
 
Ladydot  - Third thing now accounted for! Thanks for the review!
 
FxB - You made me blush! You're so sweet!
 
bettychan  - Glad you like it, and thanks for taking the time to review!
 
Ethereal Siren - I always look forward to your reviews! Your comments and insights give me new ideas and remind me of things I forgot! Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad that you think it's just right, not too much not too little. I hate stories that have so much potential but the author rushes through them. I can't bring myself to skip through anything that I would be interested in hearing about, and I like details. It might end up with some scenes that aren't essential, but I still think they help the feel, you know? Inuyasha definitely still has a place. Chapter 21 kind of sets up the whole actual plot of the story. Yeah, I'm 20 chapters in and still not really into my planned plot at all. Just breaking the surface. And about Inuyasha no realizing? I'm going with the whole guilt thing. He will eventually figure it out. Once the pups are a permanent installation in Kagome's life, and she figures out Sesshoumaru is interested, then they will have no more need for jealousy. Right now I'm writing a bath scene, right after a big battle scene (chapters 30-32 I think) and I am so excited about it. I love the little flirtations. I don't want to rush into things. Anyway, thanks for your review, and I'm looking forward to the next one!