InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Mouthy Miko ( Chapter 30 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 30 - Mouthy Miko
 
 
“You're going to WHAT?” Kagome screamed, making all the youkai and one hanyou cringe and pray that their ears didn't start bleeding.
 
Sesshoumaru had been right. She didn't like this. She didn't like this at all. He had only managed to get out, “Inuyasha and I will be engaging in a formal battle to…” before she started yelling. Really, how was he supposed to explain this to her if she was going to interrupt and make him deaf at the same time?!? “Kagome please let me finish.”
 
“Let you finish? You want me to let you finish? I don't think that is going to happen. There is no way you two are going to fight. Absolutely no way. We are supposed to be working together now, not beating each other up! What is the matter with you two? I swear, I'm gonna…” Kagome's speech was muffled from there as Sesshoumaru had reached over and covered her mouth firmly with his hand. She was giving him glares that could freeze a flame in place and the things he was getting in his head were not very nice. At least they were quieter.
 
Inuyasha looked on, surprised at his brother's action as well as the fact that Kagome hadn't started trying to pry his hand off her face yet. All the children, along with Sango, were giggling at the sight. Miroku had lifted a brow in surprise, in a very Sesshoumaru-like fashion. Jaken was looking on in shock. Ah-un, Kirara, and Kazue didn't seem impressed.
 
“Kagome, please. This is important and must be done. Apparently my brother doesn't want to help me explain this, so I suppose this Sesshoumaru will do it alone.” He paused for a moment, his eyes widening. She just licked his hand. Did she really? He had to have imagined it, right? She wouldn't have. He decided to go on. “We will be engaging in a formal battle, as is inu tradition, to determine which will become the alpha of the newly formed pack.” She had finally stopped trying to use every curse she knew inside his head, having surprised him with several new and very creative additions to the list he had previously known, and it actually looked like she was listening now. “Like I had explained to you before, Inuyasha is the alpha male of your pack, as you are the alpha female.” Inuyasha shot him a look that made clear he didn't quite agree, which Sesshoumaru immediately caught. “Are you trying to tell me, brother, that she is not your alpha female? Does she not lead in decisions while holding the group together as its central and most essential member? Does she not succeed in making you submit to her at her very whim with only one word? Because it is very clear to me and every other youkai alive that she is most definitely your alpha.”
 
Inuyasha just `keh'ed' while Kagome smiled behind Sesshoumaru's hand. Off to the side, listening in silence, Miroku, Sango, and Shippo were all nodding and Kirara adding in a mew of agreement as well.
 
“Exactly as I thought. So I can continue then?” When the hanyou did not protest, he went on. “So, Inuyasha is the alpha male in your pack and Kagome, you are the alpha female.” He froze again and looked at her closely before asking silently `Did you just lick this Sesshoumaru's hand?' She was silent in his head but her eyes said it all. She was playing with him now! He cleared his throat in an attempt to regain his line of thought. “Yes, and…oh, and I am obviously the alpha male of my pack. There is no alpha female in my pack so no challenge is necessary for you. When the packs are combined you automatically become the alpha female of the new pack. But as there are now two males who wish to be alpha there is a choice. Either one can concede defeat and submit to the other, making a fight unnecessary, or there is a challenge issued and accepted, as we have done. We must fight to ascertain who will be the new alpha male. The loser will then either become the beta, if the new alpha is forgiving, or possibly the omega.” As he said this he shot a look at Inuyasha that clearly stated where he would end up if he lost.
 
Seeing the look Kagome licked his hand again which caused him to immediately turn back to her. This time her tongue did not just flick out for a quick slip over his skin but instead was tracing the lines of his fingers in the most erotic way imaginable. Her eyes sparkled with laughter at the look on his face. She was having fun and punishing him at the same time, in her own very interesting way. Plus, his skin tasted surprisingly good! `Let me go and maybe I'll let you finish talking. Keep your hand here and I will keep you too distracted to think let alone talk.' Her voice was laughing softly in his mind. She knew exactly what she was doing to him. He was torn. He really couldn't decide. He needed to finish his explanation so the battle could begin so she could officially be HIS alpha female, but the sensation of her soft, warm, wet tongue gliding along his skin was very difficult to pass up. While he fought his internal battle everyone else stared at the two in confusion.
 
It really wasn't hard to see why they would be confused. He had just stopped talking and then he got the oddest look on his face. And Kagome, she looked like she was laughing! Wasn't she just furious and screaming a minute ago? Why was she allowing him to keep his hand over her mouth forcing her to be quiet? That was definitely not a Kagome thing to do. They all turned, though, when they heard Inuyasha begin to growl. Jaken had been about to launch into a string of insults. How dare the hanyou growl at his lord? He had opened his beak and taken in a deep breath to begin his rant when he was bopped on the top of his head by the monk, who had his own idea about what was occurring before them, and this time his dirty mind was actually right.
 
He had been completely focused on the sensation which she had yet to halt, lost in the absolutely erotic nature of her actions when she suddenly pulled her tongue back and looked at him surprised before looking at Inuyasha. It was then that the demon lord realized his brother was growling at him. And then he realized why. He had been so focused on her he hadn't even realized that he was becoming aroused, very aroused. Apparently that fact had not been missed by his brother though. He immediately pulled his hand back away from her mouth and turned a bit in an attempt to hide any visual evidence.
 
Inuyasha had been confused too when his brother had stopped talking. Somehow Kagome had distracted him, it seemed, as his eyes were locked with hers. And what did the wench find so fucking amusing? The sparkle in her eyes was just too obvious to miss. She was laughing inside. It was then that he smelled it. He actually had to take a second, deeper sniff because at first he was sure he was mistaking the scent for something else. But no, the second sniff confirmed it. His brother was getting steadily more and more aroused. A quick glance south and he could no longer believe it was anything else, no matter how much he wished it was. The growl that had escaped him had been unbidden. He didn't mean to, but it was just something about his brother being aroused by his Kagome that pissed him off to no end. Oh, now his brother was really gonna get it. If he hadn't been so angry he might have laughed at the look on his brother's face as he realized what had happened to him. And turning had done absolutely nothing to hide it either.
 
But it seemed that Kagome took pity on him as she stood directly in front of him blocking the view of everyone but the hanyou who had already seen anyway. She made a definite point to take one long look down before she spoke, one eyebrow raised in a very cute Sesshoumaru imitation. “Sesshoumaru? You were saying?” Her voice barely held in her amusement but it was also laced with just a hint of flirtation as well. He couldn't think of what to say for a moment. When it became obvious he had no idea where he had left off or where to start she decided to help him out and clue him in just this one last time. “You were saying winner becomes the new alpha and lose becomes the beta or omega?”
 
The others looked on, once again lost at the intricacies of the conversation occurring before them. They had no idea why Inuyasha had been growling or why he was now glaring intently at his older half-brother and soon to be opponent. Kagome had moved soon enough after he removed his hand that no one had seen the source of the added animosity. Now their view remained blocked as Kagome stood in front of the demon lord, leaving only his head and shoulders visible over her head. A demon lord who looked incredibly relieved once she reminded him of where he left off. The wind, thankfully, had been blowing gently in such a way that the scent of his arousal had gone in the opposite direction of the group so none of the demon noses of the new pack had picked it up.
 
Finally getting a bit more control, Sesshoumaru started again. “There will be rules to the battle. No weapons will be used. Because I am a full demon and Inuyasha is only half, I will not be allowed to transform or allow my beast control. My swords will be removed, as well as my armor. Inuyasha will keep the Tetsusaiga to prevent a transformation but will not draw it or use it in any way. Since the cloak of the fire rat serves as a kind of armor for him, we have agreed to fight without any protection to the upper body. Just hakamas will be allowed. Since my poison acts as an additional weapon, in most circumstances I would not be allowed to use it unless the opponent had a similar asset but,” he paused for a moment, wishing he didn't have to draw her attention to it. “because I am missing my left arm my poison will be allowed as the equalizer, compensating for my disadvantage.” He watched her eyes for any negative signs but saw none. He was a bit relieved. At least she didn't grimace at the thought. “The fight will be either until one of us loses consciousness and thus loses or one submits to the other, accepting them as their alpha. It will be a very serious battle but the goal is not to kill but to force the other to submit, thus establishing authority. No one will die. The battle will probably be long. No one may interfere. There is a reason, though, that I had to tell you all of this.” He was sure that this was where all hell was going to break loose again. This was the part that was really going to piss her off, way more than before.
 
Kagome was looking at him with a serious look in her eyes. “Go on. Tell me why I needed to know all this in detail.” Her voice was just as serious as her eyes, if not more so, and he knew this would not turn out well, but it had to be done.
 
“Kagome, as the alpha female, it is your responsibility to observe the battle to ensure the rules are followed. You are the one will declare the battle over if one of us falls unconscious. You must be the witness if one chooses to submit and end the fight. It is also your duty to announce the new alpha to the pack once it has been decided.”
 
“You've got to be kidding me.” Her voice was low and angry. “You two are going to make we watch you fight each other, beat each other bloody, until your both half dead or worse? You want me to stand there and watch and not interfere? And then you want me to reward the winner? You've got to be hallucinating if you think I'm going to condone this by being involved. No. No, I refuse. So you can just go ahead and make Sango alpha female or do it without one, because IT…IS… NOT… GOING….TO… HAPPEN.” Her last words were said just as low as the first, but her tone had turned vicious. She was beyond pissed. When she finished speaking she simply turned and walked away, disappearing into the trees. Kazue trailed close behind her mistress as it was her responsibility to ensure her safety always, even if Kagome really looked like she wanted to be alone.
 
Sesshoumaru turned to look at his brother. His earlier problem was long gone so he could now stand however he wanted. This time her anger had been too serious for him to find it arousing. No, she was really, really furious this time. The way she had looked at them reminded him of how she had looked at Kouga and she used the same low, angry, threatening tone. This was nothing like their fight over her going home. Hell, if he had experienced this first then he would have never been worried then. But now...now he was worried again. She looked like she would never forgive either of them, and it was worse for him because he had been the one to say it all. If his brother had helped, even a little, then maybe her anger wouldn't be so focused on him. “This Sesshoumaru would like to thank you, half-breed, for your great assistance in explaining this to her.” He had never sounded quite so sarcastic in all of his very long life.
 
“Fuck you, asshole. At least I'm not the one she's mad at.” Inuyasha then met with the ground in a most violent way, yet no one had touched him. No, Sesshoumaru had not attacked him. He might have but it happened before he could move. The furious miko had not yet moved as far away as they had expected and she had heard him, issuing a quiet `sit' just loud enough to activate the beads. He deserved it. Once she had done so and was satisfied by the crash and subsequent groan of pain she continued to walk away.
 
He could feel her anger through their mark, as could the others who looked worried for her. She was not only angry, though. She was angry, worried, and frightened. She was worried about them. She didn't want to see them fight. They both were her friends. How could they expect her to sit and watch them brutalize each other? No, she couldn't do it. She was sure.
 
When the hanyou had risen and managed to spit out most of the dirt in his mouth he looked to his older brother. When he spoke his voice was so low that only Sesshoumaru could hear. “I don't know what the fuck was going on, but I want to know right fucking now why you were aroused by my Kagome!”
 
Sesshoumaru snarled in response but spoke just as low. “Your Kagome? Since when has the miko been yours? This Sesshoumaru has not seen your mark upon her. I have seen my mark, the mark of her kit, and the marks of my sons, but not your mark. Perhaps you are mistaken.” The taiyoukai knew just where to attack to cause the most damage. He knew Inuyasha was jealous about the marks. It was a low blow but he was just asking for it and Sesshoumaru couldn't help but take the shot.
 
Fuck you! Goddamnit! FUCK YOU! She has been mine since she was pulled through that damn well and released me! She was mine when she fought against your trick to save me from the unmother when you attacked me! She was mine when she gave the Tetsusaiga to ME! She was mine when you tried to KILL her with your damn poison and FAILED! She was mine when she helped me realize how to make the sword transform! She was mine every time I protected her and saved her from anything and everything that tried to hurt her, including you! She has been mine every single fucking day and every night since her fifteenth fucking birthday. Nearly two years! Just because a couple of weeks ago you decided all of a sudden that you didn't hate her doesn't make her yours! Just because you have a mark on her doesn't make her yours! She is mine! MINE! My miko! My best friend! My angel! My savior! My Kagome! MINE! That girl is fucking everything to me and you will not take her away from me. I won't let you!” When he had finished screaming at the top of his lungs at his brother he slumped to the ground, knees pulled up to his chest and his face pressed into his knees. The stress of everything was getting to be too much for him. He was sure his brother was up to something and that it had something to do with Kagome and he didn't like it one bit. He couldn't take her away from him. He just couldn't.
 
Sesshoumaru had been shocked into silence when his brother had started. He knew his brother cared about Kagome but he had never seen him so passionate about anything before. Without thinking he kneeled next to his brother and spoke. “Inuyasha, I do not wish to take Kagome away from you. This Sesshoumaru is well aware of the bond you two share and I could never hope to break it. I would never try.” At this, Inuyasha looked up at his elder brother. “You have finally found someone who accepts your hanyou heritage, who has never judged you. She has taught you to trust, really and completely trust. She taught you how to love, how to have friends, everything. Just her presence had changed your entire life. She has built a pack around you, giving you a family once more. No, I would never take her away from you, brother. I am glad that you found her and I am even more pleased that you have finally realized her worth. Now, how are we going to settle this? This Sesshoumaru will not submit. If you refuse to as well then the battle will have to occur.”
 
“I'm not going down without a fight, you asshole. Even if I lose, at least I would know I fought. If you win, you have to promise me though. Promise me that you will not make decisions that will put her in danger. And please, don't keep her away from me. I don't care what you make me, beta, omega; it makes no fucking difference as long as she is still by my side.”
 
All the others remaining had been shocked by Inuyasha's outburst, and even more so by Sesshoumaru's response to it. Once everyone saw that they were talking as brothers should for once, everyone pretended to not pay attention. In reality everyone was straining to hear everything that was being said. The pups were all smiling. They knew their father wished to have a relationship with his brother, their uncle, and maybe this would be a start. Jaken had once again been bopped into silence, this time by the slayer. He was sure that if this was allowed to continue on he would receive permanent damage. The two brothers were oblivious to any and all things outside of their conversation.
 
“This Sesshoumaru will never intentionally allow the miko to be in danger. Her protection, as well as the protection of the young, will be our top priority. And I would never keep her away from you. You must promise me, then, than you will not try to keep her away from me as well. This Sesshoumaru very much enjoys her presence.”
 
“Yeah, I noticed. What in the hell was that about anyway?”
 
Sesshoumaru looked over at his brother who was now watching him closely as he tried to decide if he should answer. Eventually he gave a small shrug of his shoulders and spoke. “Our Kagome found it entertaining to distract me from my purpose by licking my hand.”
 
It was Inuyasha's turn to lift a brow. “Our Kagome? And she licked you? What the hell?”
 
“Yes, brother, our Kagome. And yes, I know. I was quite shocked as well. But that is not important at the moment. We have a much bigger issue at hand. How are we going to get her to agree to the battle?”
 
“I don't know. When she sets her mind to something it's damn near impossible to change it. And she hates to see me fight if I don't have to. It's because she cares about me, I suppose. She doesn't like to see me hurt. And now that somehow she's your `friend' too, it's probably the same. Not that I like it, though. I still don't trust you. I still haven't forgiven you or forgotten. But I would do anything for her. For her, I will try to put up with your ass.” Signaling that he was done talking by standing, Inuyasha walked away following the scent trail left by Kagome.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagome stormed away once she had whispered “sit” and heard the sound of Inuyasha hitting the ground. As if it wasn't bad enough that they didn't get along, now they had to fight? Sure, they weren't using weapons but they didn't need weapons. She had seen the kind of damage each of them could do with bare hands. And with no protection? No armor? They were going to tear each other up! And not only was she supposed to watch and reward the winner, she was sure to end up being the one having to bandage and heal all their wounds. No. She would not let them do this to her. She would not be involved. She would not condone. Tradition or not, she wanted absolutely nothing to do with the whole thing.
 
She eventually stopped walking, having ending up deep in Inuyasha's Forest, and she sat on a nice convenient large rock. Kazue jumped into her lap and she automatically started stroking her fur. “Why, Kazue, huh? Can you tell me why? Why do they have to do this? How can they expect me to agree to it? I just don't understand how fighting within the pack can be right. Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru fight enough already. They don't need to fight more. They need to find a way to get along and coexist. I just…I just don't think I could sit and watch.”
 
`Mistress…Kagome, the battle is necessary. A pack can not have two alphas or there would be constant fighting and chaos. If this issue is not decided then they will end up fighting continuously about everything and anything. It is the job of the alpha male to make important decisions for the pack which is followed by all members. Imagine for a minute, we arrive at a split in the pack and we must decide which direction to continue. Do we go to the left or the right? How would your pack decide this'
 
Kagome thought for a moment before answering silently. `I guess we would all give our opinions based on what we sensed, but Inuyasha always ended up making the final decision.'
 
`Exactly. Now imagine the new pack. Sesshoumaru wishes to go to the right and Inuyasha wished to go the left. Who do you follow? Who does the pack listen to? Even such a simple decision could end up dividing the pack, with each member deciding who they chose to listen to. Then no decisions could be made. Fights would happen over every little thing. That is why they must determine who will be the alpha.'
 
`I guess, but do they have to fight?'
 
`Neither wishes to submit to the other. They are stubborn and neither wishes to have to listen to the other. The battle is the traditional inu way to decide these things. To simply submit would hurt their pride and honor, but to battle and lose is not considered dishonorable. It, instead, forms the relationship between the two. Since both must remain in the pack, it has to be decided once and for all who will lead and who will follow. This is why they are not fighting to the death, which some would do. They have chosen the lesser of the two battles for you, so that you do not have to lose either of them.'
 
`Oh. So, some battles to be alpha would be to the death?'
 
`Yes, my lady. Most, actually. Either to the death or with the loser being banished permanently from the pack. Can you think of any other way for them to decide that would make a definite, final decision?'
 
Kagome thought and thought and thought some more. No matter what she thought of, she could still see them fighting again later. It was true. They are both stubborn and neither would willingly submit to the other. There was no way to talk this out. And if they tried to decide by a vote among the pack members then someone would end up being hurt and feeling betrayed. Maybe this is the only way. `Alright, I guess your right. But I still don't like it. I don't want to watch them hurt each other. I care about both of them and seeing them hurt hurts me. It's not fair.'
 
`Kagome, I understand your difficulty with the situation. You are a human trying to live in a demon pack following demon rules that you know nothing of. When it was just your small pack, things weren't as obvious but you still followed pack rules. Now, with so many more demon members, things will be a bit more apparent. Inuyasha's demon instincts will become stronger being surrounded by other inu. There will be some differences that you will have to adjust to.'
 
`Yeah, okay. I see. But just because I understand doesn't mean I have to agree. Can't they do this without me?'
 
`No. You are the alpha female, whether you were aware before or not. You must be there to witness. You must enforce the rules. You are at the same level of authority as the alpha male in most cases and must be present to ensure that the new alpha male is chosen properly. Until the battle has ended you will be the only true authority in the pack. You have to be there. There is no other way. The hanyou approaches us.'
 
Kagome hadn't sensed him before because she had been focused on Kazue and dealing with her feelings. She looked up and saw him walking slowly up to her. He sat in front of her on the forest floor, legs and arms both crossed in his normal fashion. He looked at her and then let out a long sigh. “Kagome, I know you don't like the idea but we have to do this. I can't just roll over for him, even if he is stronger. I have to fight to maintain my honor. Please, Kagome. Do this for me?”
 
Kagome glared at him for a minute before her face softened. “Fine, but I still don't like it.” Kagome stood, as did Inuyasha. Kazue leapt onto Kagome's shoulder and they began to return to their camp.
 
“Really? That was easier than I thought it would be.” Inuyasha had expected a long drawn out fight but she had caved right away.
 
Kagome smiled. “Well, I had some time to think about it.” She had no intention of telling him about her conversation with Kazue. When they returned to the camp Inuyasha simply nodded at his brother who rose from his seat at the base of a tree and approached while the others looked on with curiosity. “I said I would do it. But I still don't like it and I'm still angry. I want you both to promise me that if you are losing and are badly injured, that you will end it and submit. Please don't fight until you get knocked out. It really scares me when you're unconscious.” Kagome looked at Inuyasha with her last sentence. “I never know if you injured your brain or something, and I hate waiting for you to wake up. Sometimes I'm afraid you won't wake up at all.” She turned to Sesshoumaru. “The same goes for you. I know you're strong and have powerful demon healing but I don't want to see you knocked out either. Can you both promise me?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru will do his best, but I cannot promise. Submitting is not in my nature.”
 
Inuyasha scoffed at that. “Yeah, right. And you think it's in mine? Look, Kagome, if I know I'm gonna lose, then I'll submit, but if there is any chance I can win I will fight until the end. I'm sorry, but I can't promise either.”
 
Kagome growled under her breath, startling both brothers for a moment. “Fine, whatever. It doesn't matter what I think anyway. Let's just get this over with.”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
 
Thanks goes to Coffee Flavored Fate for helping me with the revisions. You're Awesome!