InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ How to Embarrass a Miko While Remaining Oblivious to Danger ( Chapter 56 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 56 - How to Embarrass a Miko While Remaining Oblivious to Danger
 
 
Sango and Miroku looked towards Inuyasha when they heard his growl. “What is it, Inuyasha?”
 
“We've got company. You'll see in a second,” he said as he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. They watched as the boys stiffened one by one before lifting their heads to look around. Sango set Rin down and stood, reaching for her boomerang as Miroku took hold of his staff from where it had been propped against a tree. They stood, battle ready, as the boys rose and formed a semi-circle around their sister. They remembered that smell and they weren't looking forward to seeing its owner any time soon. Kirara and Kazue remained in their small forms but were alert and ready, Kirara at Sango's side and Kazue at Rin's feet. Ah and Un moved near the little girl as Jaken readied his staff. He didn't know what was coming but he would be ready.
 
As they looked off into the distance they finally started to see the familiar heads rising over the hill as the group approached. Kouga was, for once, walking side by side with Ginta and Hakaku and there were several other wolf demons following them and a small pack of wolves trotted along as well. Inuyasha waited until they were close enough so that he wouldn't have to yell but far enough that he felt the others were safe before stepping forward. “What the hell do you think you're doing here, flea-bag? I thought Sesshoumaru scared you off for good!”
 
Kouga snarled at the memory. He had retreated at the time because it was just him against the two brothers but now Sesshoumaru would be easy to handle, wherever he was. “Where's my Kagome?”
 
“Ya just missed her! Too bad. Guess you'll just have to turn tail and run on home again. And she's not yours you bastard!”
 
“Where'd she go, mutt?”
 
“None of your fucking business. Now get out of here before I kick your ass! Kagome isn't here to stop me this time.”
 
Kouga looked like he was thinking for a moment before he answered. “I'm not going anywhere. We'll wait right here for my woman to get back.” His attention was drawn to the children when a chorus of vicious snarls erupted from their direction. “What's with the runts?”
 
“Not that it's any of your business but they are Sesshoumaru's pups. What do you want with Kagome anyway? She ain't comin' back for a week!”
 
“We've come to protect her on her travels while she collects the jewel shards. Obviously you can't be trusted to do so since you lost her you worthless half-breed.” Even Inuyasha was surprised by the new round of snarls. Apparently his nephews didn't like it when he was insulted. He smirked at the wolf who looked like he was contemplating his next move.
 
“You aren't fucking welcome here and you aren't fucking needed here either.”
 
“That's up to her, not you. We'll wait for her to return. My Kagome will be thrilled that I've come to travel with her and protect her, just you wait.” Yoshi caught hold of both Yuudai's and Isamu's hair as they attempted to run past him at the wolf. They couldn't stand listening to the wolf calling their Mama his. She was theirs! The two youngest bit back the yelps that nearly escaped as they were jerked back by their hair. Both shot glares at their older brother but he refused to let go. They all watched as the wolves turned and walked away. They didn't go far enough though as they could still sense their presence a few clearings away and their scent failed to disappear, to their dismay of course.
 
Inuyasha turned and looked at the kids. “No one goes near them. The bastard ain't gonna leave unless we make him. Kagome's gotta tell him to get lost. They'll most likely keep their distance until she comes back. Don't worry about them,” he said reassuringly while looking at the two youngest. “You all know Kagome doesn't want him so there's no reason to get worked up, alright?” He waited for a response but when he got none he repeated himself, louder this time. “Alright?” The boys nodded their agreement before relaxing a bit and returning to sit on the blankets that held their Mama's soothing scent. They needed to feel her presence right now.
 
Jaken was confused. He had no idea who the wolf had been or why he called Lady Kagome his. Did Lord Sesshoumaru know that another laid claim to the miko? Jaken made his way closer to the humans and decided to ask. “Who was that wolf? Why did he claim Lady Kagome as his?”
 
Sango looked at the toad and realized that he hadn't been present the last time Kouga `visited'. “Kagome considers him a friend. He kidnapped her a long time ago because she could see the jewel shards and decided he was in love with her. He's been calling her his woman ever since no matter how many times she tries to tell him she's not going to be his mate.”
 
“Does Lord Sesshoumaru know?”
 
“Yep,” Miroku said with a smirk. “He was here the last time Kouga showed up. He said some things that Lord Sesshoumaru didn't much appreciate about Kagome and they fought, though Kagome kept your Lord from killing Kouga. Kouga ran off while Kagome healed Lord Sesshoumaru's arm. Didn't expect him to come back.”
 
“Guess the flea-bag can't take a hint. Sesshoumaru's gonna kick his ass all the way back to his den when he gets back.” Inuyasha flopped down near the fire. He didn't want the wolf so close but he couldn't risk fighting them all when he was supposed to be protecting the pack. When his brother came back though, it would be on. He found that he was sort of looking forward to fighting alongside his brother, especially against Kouga who had been an annoying thorn in his side for too long.
 
Jaken nodded his head in agreement. If the wolf indeed had laid claim to the miko before his lord there may have to be a challenge. He had no doubt that his Lord could skin the wolf alive in an instant so long as Lady Kagome did not intercede. He glanced over at his young Lords. They looked so depressed. He hadn't realized quite how important the miko had become until now, seeing how much they missed her.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Somewhere at the forest's edge in the southern lands sat a beautiful black panther demon. She sat on her haunches and growled softly to herself as she watched a large white feather flying in the distance carrying two passengers. Once it had fully passed her she rose and stretched, her sleek black fur shining in the sunlight. Turning, she ran through the thick forest, with such speed and agility that she appeared as nothing but a shadow slipping between the trees. Just minutes later she arrived at her destination, shifting into her humanoid form. She was just as beautiful in this form with dark tanned skin and impossibly black hair and claws. Her orange shimmering eyes glowed and her long smooth tail twitched swiftly behind her.
 
“She was too close this time.” Her voice was like black silk as she spoke to the others. There were four more, all with the same coloring as the first. “I do not know what she wants here but I do not trust her. She serves the dark hanyou who covets the Shikon jewel.”
 
“She has been passing closer and closer to our den. Something must be done.”
 
“Perhaps we should kill the wind witch and send him a message.”
 
“But if we were to do so would we not be making an enemy of ourselves? He is strong thanks to the jewel. It would not be wise to place ourselves on the wrong side.”
 
“You would align yourself with that abomination?”
 
“I merely believe that it would be better to serve him and be safe than fight against him and lose. I have heard that he is rather generous with jewel shards to those who serve him well.”
 
“If we were to get our claws on shards of the jewel then he would no longer be a threat.”
 
“Perhaps we should see what he has to offer. It is obvious she is searching for us.”
 
“I do not believe we can trust the hanyou.”
 
“Perhaps. Perhaps not. If we join with him and receive shards then we will be powerful enough to defeat him and claim the remaining shard of the jewel he holds if he is found untrustworthy.”
 
“Then it is decided. When she next approaches we will allow her to find us and see just what it is she has to say.”
 
“It should prove to be at least mildly entertaining.”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
“So, do you want to change into something? It might be a good idea for you to get used to the different feel of the modern clothes so when we go somewhere you won't be uncomfortable.”
 
Sesshoumaru considered the idea for a minute. She was probably right. The items she had pulled out so far were different from what he was used to wearing and since he was going to be here a while and most definitely intended to leave the shrine grounds with her it would be to his benefit to become accustomed to the new clothing. He nodded at her and watched her smile widen. Apparently she was looking forward to seeing him in clothes from her time.
 
“What do you think? Regular day clothes, lounging around the house clothes, or more formal?”
 
“Will we be leaving the house today?”
 
“Probably not, unless you wanted to,” she replied.
 
“Well then this Sesshoumaru would prefer the less formal, as you put it, `lounging clothes'.”
 
“Good choice. They'll probably be the most comfortable for you, besides the jammie pants of course.” She began digging around in the bags, trying to find the perfect items for a first time wearer of modern style clothing. She decided on a pair of black cargo pants. She could tell by looking at them that they would be baggy, which she considered a good thing for the moment. Inuyasha had always complained about the jeans she wanted him to wear, saying they were too tight, which they were compared to his usual pants. Kagome figured the same would go for Sesshoumaru. It was better to let him get used to the differences in the clothing a bit at a time. This was not to say that she didn't want to see her taiyoukai in nice tight jeans because she most definitely did, but he wouldn't be as comfortable in them. She grabbed a pair of red boxers, cotton this time with a black waistband that said `You Wish' over and over all the way around. She let out a giggle at the idea of her mother buying something like that. Then she picked a white t-shirt out of another bag and held it up to inspect. Sesshoumaru was startled when she burst out laughing hysterically.
 
“What is it that you find so entertaining?” he asked, trying to hide the interest in his tone.
 
Kagome couldn't believe it. Her mother was amazing! She had noticed the couple of nice button down dress shirts but then there was this. It was so perfect for her demon lord, so fitting. Kagome, while gasping for breath between bouts of laughter, turned the shirt around so he could read the writing on the front. Hiromi couldn't have picked a better one if she tried. The white shirt had black writing on it that said `Leave me alone! I am not being rude, it's just that you are insignificant.'
 
Even Sesshoumaru had to let out a chuckle at the phrase. “It appears your mother has knowledge of this Sesshoumaru.”
 
“I guess so. I can't believe she bought this! I wonder if there are any more. T-shirts with sayings are pretty popular with people my age. There are tons of different ones.” He nodded and watched from his seat on her bed as she stood and approached him with the selected items in her hands. She held out the boxers first and watched as his eyebrow lifted at the words on the waistband. “This,” she pointed, “is the front side. The shirt just pulls over your head, the words on the front.” She held up the pants and showed him the zipper. “This is the front. I'll probably have to help you with the button and zipper so you don't end up tearing them up with your claws. Think you can handle the rest or you need my help?”
 
He examined her face for a minute. He would love her help, not because he needed it so much as he wanted an excuse for her to touch him. He could sense her nervousness and a light blush tinted her cheeks, leading him to believe that she would rather not help him if possible. Giving a mental sigh of disappointment he accepted the items from her. “I believe this Sesshoumaru can manage.”
 
She nodded before moving towards the door. “I'll be right outside the door if you need my help. Call me in when you're read for me to close the pants.”
 
He watched as she left the room, closing the door. `Might as well get this over with,' he thought to himself before disrobing. His armor and swords that had been removed previously had been placed in what she called a `closet' for safe-keeping but he wasn't sure what to do with mokomoko. He was pretty sure that his fur would not go well with his new modern look. Finally he decided, draping it over the chair near her desk. He didn't really want to leave it somewhere not on him or wrapped around her but he had decided he would have to compromise while here in her time. He pulled on the clothing, following her directions. It wasn't so bad actually. The clothes were comfortable, though not nearly as soft as the silk he usually wore. And the pants were about ready to fall down. He took a minute to inspect the odd clasps before giving up. She was right. With his claws and only one hand it wasn't likely that he could do it himself, though it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Now she would have to do it for him. He smirked at the thought as he called her back into the room.
 
When she heard him call her she turned and opened her door before freezing in place at the sight before her. He looked different, very different since she was used to seeing him in the same thing all the time. The dark color of the pants was a stark contrast to his pale skin. It was definitely odd to see him in a t-shirt, something so common on a man that was anything but. A small smile grew on her lips as he raised a brow in question, wondering if she was going to stand there in the doorway all day. “I think I like you in modern clothes. I can't wait to see you in those jeans,” she said before getting lost in her thoughts of Sesshoumaru in nice tight jeans. Definitely a nice thought.
 
She failed to notice as he approached her, didn't notice until his hand moved to rest on her hip. “What are you thinking of to make your scent spike so deliciously?” he asked, his voice a low, sexy tone, his breath brushing against her neck where his face was buried as he attempted to drown himself in the scent of her arousal.
 
She looked up at him, startled and confused. What did he mean, her scent changed? As it slowly dawned on her she groaned and laid her forehead on his shoulder. “Nothing really. Just picturing what you would look like in some other clothes from my time. Looking forward to it.”
 
“Really,” he stated/asked in a seductive tone. “You find this Sesshoumaru attractive in clothes from your time?” he asked teasingly as he kissed her throat. He gave her a gentle kiss on her sweet lips before releasing her and looking at her expectantly. At first she didn't know why he was just standing there looking at her. She looked up at him in confusion. “You were correct in your assumption that I will need your assistance in securing these `pants'.” His face held a rather sexy grin as he watched her realize what he was waiting for. That cute blush from earlier returned full force and she slowly reached for the waist of his cargos, zipping and buttoning them. She lifted her face so she could once more survey the entire outfit. Yes, he definitely looked good. She lifted herself up on her toes and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before moving away towards her bag. Sesshoumaru went to look at the books that lined a few shelves near her desk. While he was scanning titles Kagome pulled her books and papers out of her bag and arranged them on the desktop. Checking her calendar to be sure she remembered correctly she picked up her science book to prepare for the first exam on Monday. When she turned around she found Sesshoumaru lounging on her bed, propped up on her pillows and reading a book. Feeling her eyes on him he looked up and motioned for her to join him. She carried her study materials over to the bed and sat, allowing him to arrange her body so that she was comfortably partially reclined against his chest in such a way that she could still read and take notes and he could read the book he had selected to pass the time. The two sat together for a few hours in silence while they read their respective books.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Not too far away three girls were walking away from the large building they had just left. It was finally Friday and school was out for the weekend. They had a ton of studying to do though so the weekend wasn't going to be much fun. They had finals all week next week and each girl was determined to do well.
 
“I wonder if Kagome is going to make it to school to take the exams,” Ayumi thought aloud. “I hope she will be well enough to.”
 
“She's missed so much school though that she's probably going to have a hard time, especially since the teachers were reviewing all week this week. She won't know what is going to be on the exams so she won't know what to study,” Eri replied.
 
“Maybe we should go check on her, see if she needs help studying. Oh! I know! We should all study together so we can let her read over our notes, maybe even copy them. Plus, if we help her with all the things she missed it will help us remember better for the tests! It'll be like studying only more fun!” Yuka's voice had gotten progressively louder and more excited as she went on and was now bouncing on the heels of her feet as she waited impatiently for her friends to agree.
 
Eri nodded her head. “You're right! That's what friends are for and we wouldn't be very good friends if we didn't help our sick friend to not fail her finals. I'll have to go home first and let my mother know where I'll be.”
 
“I have some notes at home that I need to grab,” Ayumi said while smiling at the idea of seeing Kagome again. They never got to spend time together because Kagome was always so sick, and there was only one more year of school left. They needed to take advantage of every minute they had before they all ended up separated at different colleges in different cities.
 
“Alright. I'm going to change my clothes. How about we meet at the bottom of the shrine steps in half an hour?” Eri and Ayumi nodded their agreement and the three friends took off in different directions before they gathered once more at the shrine to surprise their `ill' friend.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagome's concentration was broken when she heard a door slam downstairs and her little brother yell to her mother that he was home. Looking at her clock she was surprised to see how much time had passed without a distraction and decided it was time for a break. She could use a snack and since her mother always made one for Souta when he got home from school maybe if she got down there quick enough she could get one too. Kagome closed her book and straightened up her papers before scooting to the edge of the bed and standing up. Once her things were placed on the desk she turned around to look at the demon who was watching her carefully. She smiled at him. The sight of him in `normal' clothes lounging in her bed was now lodged permanently in her mind's eye. He looked like he belonged there, even though he was surrounded by pink. “I'm going to take a break and have a snack. You hungry?” He shook his head. Sure, the cookies had been good but they really weren't his thing. “Wanna come downstairs with me anyway? I can introduce you to my little brother.” He nodded and closed the book he had been reading and rose gracefully from the mattress, placing the book on her bedside table. “He's probably going to compare you to Inuyasha. He's kind of Souta's hero. And be prepared for a ton of questions. You don't have to answer him if you don't want to but that won't keep him from asking.”
 
“So then he is like Rin?”
 
“Incredibly curious and overly energetic? Definitely. Come on.” Kagome straightened her t-shirt and shorts that had become misaligned at some point because of her half seated position earlier. Once she was satisfied that she didn't look like someone had been attempting to undress her with their toes she opened the door and led the way down the stairs. She stopped at the bottom, looking into the living room where her little brother had already commandeered the television to play video games. “Souta?” she called to him to get his attention.
 
When he heard his name he turned and caught sight of his sister. In an instant he was across the room and in her arms. “When did you get here? I thought you weren't coming home `til Sunday. How long are you staying? Do you think you'll have time to play some games with me? I got a new one and it's so cool! Did Inuyasha come with you? Would you play soccer with me? Coach said I need to practice my passing but Mom and Gramps can't do it. Do you think you'll have time? We have our last game next Saturday. Will you be here then? Will you come watch me play? I missed you Kagome! I wish you were here more. Who's he? He looks like Inuyasha. Why does he look like Inuyasha? Is he related to Inuyasha? When is Inuyasha going to visit? I haven't seen him for a while! Wow, he's really tall! And the marks on his face are so cool!” His focus shifted completely to Sesshoumaru. “So are you related to Inuyasha? Are you a demon? What's with the markings? Do you have them anywhere else? Do you have any cool attacks like Inuyasha? Could you show me? Do you wanna play video games with me? I can show you how. It'll be lots of fun!” His words had come out in one long stream and it didn't even sound like he stopped to breathe. By the time he had stopped both Kagome and Sesshoumaru were quite overwhelmed by the sheer volume of questions he had launched at them in under a minute.
 
Shaking her head, Kagome ruffled her brother's hair before attempting to answer at least some of his questions. “This is Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru, this is my little brother Souta.” Souta gave a little bow and Sesshoumaru respectfully returned it. “Sesshoumaru is Inuyasha's half-brother. He is a full demon and yes he has very powerful attacks but I don't think he can show you them here. I'm going to be here until at least next Friday but I suppose I can stay Saturday to see your game. Of course I'll help you practice, but I have to study for my finals too. And you ask way too many questions, kid.” She laughed as Souta grumbled at being called a kid. He was at that age where he wanted to be treated like a grown-up even though he still acted like a child, and so he hated any and all reminders that he was still considered a kid. “Did Mama get you a snack yet?”
 
As Souta was shaking his head they both heard their mother come out of the kitchen and turned to look at her. She was carrying a tray that she set on the coffee table in the living room. Kagome grinned as her stomach rumbled in excitement for the pile of cookies and glass of milk that sat awaiting her. There were two glasses and enough cookies for them both, though that wouldn't stop them from fighting about how many each had and who go the last one. Noting that Sesshoumaru hadn't said a word she looked at him in question. He was standing beside her and it looked as if he was inspecting the photos that lined the shelves. “Are you alright?” she asked softly.
 
He nodded at her and took her hand gently before leading her to the couch where they had sat earlier with her mother, who had disappeared back into the kitchen once again. When she gave him a confused look he explained. “This Sesshoumaru can hear your stomach growl. You are hungry. Eat.”
 
“Can do,” she said with a smile before picking up a cookie and her glass of milk and leaning back on the couch. He watched intently as she dipped the cookie in the milk for a moment before eating it. He had to admit, the cookie he had eaten earlier was good, and for some reason he was enthralled by the dunking. He wondered if it made the cookie taste even better. Of course he wouldn't say anything though. He had already told her he wasn't hungry. He was surprised when she turned and held out the half eaten and thoroughly dipped snack. “I know you wanted to try it with the milk so take a bite.” For a second he had intended to question just how she had known but then decided against it as he took a bite of the offered cookie she held for him. Yes, it was indeed better with milk. “Do you want me to get you a glass?”
 
“No. This Sesshoumaru will simply use yours.” With that said he picked up a cookie off the plate, broke it in half as he had watched her do so that it would fit in the glass, and then dipped one half into the milk being held by a stunned miko. “Do you not know how to share?” he asked teasingly.
 
“Well… no… wait, yes… but… why…” Kagome growled her frustration and the demon seated beside her immediately felt the flash of heat that spread through his entire body before settling in one location. She was sexy when she growled! He heard her take in a deep breath before starting again. “Why would you use mine when I offered to get you one of your own?”
 
“Why should you dirty another glass with milk I will not drink?” `Besides my dear, mates share everything which means your glass of milk was already mine as well.'
 
She smirked at him. `No it wasn't. You're not my mate at the moment now are you?'
 
`Merely a formality I assure you,' he said while shooting her a heated smirk that sent an uncontrollable shiver down her spine.
 
“Fine. Whatever. Use my milk. Doesn't matter anyway.”
 
`Have I mentioned to you just how sexy it is when you growl for me?'
 
`I wasn't growling for you. I was growling at you. There's a difference.'
 
`For or at, my reaction was the same.'
 
She turned to look him in the eye. `Reaction?' She looked a tad bit lost for a minute or so but he knew when she finally understood by the rising blush that painted her cheeks a soft pink. `Just the growl?'
 
`That is all it takes. Perhaps even less. This Sesshoumaru finds you irresistible.' He smirked as the pink darkened into red on her cheeks.
 
`You're evil. Did you know that?' Deciding that a new topic was needed she glanced around the room for anything to help her change the subject. While she was desperately searching for a distraction Souta put down his glass and turned the TV back on, immediately catching Sesshoumaru's attention. Kagome felt him tense beside her and looked over to see him staring warily at the foreign object.
 
“It's called television. You know how I explained the camera? Well, they have ones that can record motion rather than just stationary subjects. A lot of the shows are kind of like plays, where the people are actors, not really who they are portraying. Then there are the reality shows where real people compete for some kind of prize. The news has people who inform you of important events. And then cartoons are moving pictures, something someone drew. It's kind of hard to explain. I'll have to show you the different kinds of shows one day.”
 
“So the people are not actually inside the box?”
 
“Nope. It's just technology. I have a set of encyclopedias. They have just about anything you could want to know in them, history, science, technology, literature, arts, all kinds of things. Remind me to show you which ones they are when we go back up to my room.”
 
Now that he didn't need to feel threatened by the mystery object Kagome identified as a `tele-vision' he relaxed and grabbed another cookie. He almost laughed aloud as she automatically held her glass out for him. He watched as the boy pushed a few buttons on the box and picked up a smaller object that had several buttons on it. The picture changed and he watched with interest as the boy seemed to interact with the box.
 
Seeing his curiosity Kagome volunteered the information, knowing he felt rather insecure being surrounded by things he had no knowledge of. “He's playing a video game. The thing he's holding is the controller and he pushes the buttons to tell the game what to do. Kami, it's even harder to explain. Let me see. Well, it's sort of like…”
 
Kagome didn't get to finish as her grandfather entered the room and made an announcement, not even noticing the demon on the couch right away. “Kagome, you've got a visitor.”
 
Kagome fought back the sigh and prayed that her grandfather hadn't let whoever it was in. Of course she was sorely disappointed when her visitor walked into the living room holding a basket with two bottles of cranberry juice, a box of Baking soda, and a package she didn't recognize. As he approached her she could hear the low, rumbling growl coming from Sesshoumaru. No one else could hear it at the moment and she could only pray it stayed that way. She watched as her grandfather finally noticed Sesshoumaru and jumped back a bit, startled. Then he turned and walked away, grumbling under his breath about granddaughters and demons, though both the granddaughter and the demon in question heard him.
 
Sesshoumaru was trying his hardest to hold back the growl but all he could manage was dampening it. He didn't expect anyone could hear it except Kagome. She would most likely be upset if he started growling at her guests.
 
`This boy dares bring our mate a gift?' His beast was thoroughly upset with the presence of an unknown male, especially one showing up with gifts. No male should give gifts to the mate of another unless pack. This boy was not pack. This boy was trying to gain the attentions of his intended.
 
`She does not appear happy to see him. He is not a threat.'
 
`She hasn't sent him away!'
 
`I trust our mate. Do you not?'
 
`No! I trust her! It's him I don't trust.' The beast settled down some as he realized that Kagome truly did not seem at all happy to see her `guest' and remembered just how much they trusted her and her loyalty.
 
“Higurashi! I heard about your cystitis and wanted to bring these things by. My mother said they should help. Hopefully then you will be able to make it to school for finals next week.”
 
“Eh, cystitis? Oh, yeah… well… I'm feeling much better, yeah. I'll make it through the finals. But thank you anyways.”
 
It was like he didn't even hear her as he went on. “Now my mother said that you should be drinking lots and lots of water, and that the cranberry juice should help. You should mix a teaspoon of the baking soda into a pint of water. That will reduce the acidity which should help with the discomfort. And these,” he picked up the as of yet unidentified package, “are moist feminine wipes to help you keep the area clean so the infection won't come back.”
 
Kagome was pretty sure she was going to die of embarrassment. `Did Hojo honestly just bring me wipes for my…? Oh Kami, I am going to kill grandpa for this. I don't even know what the hell cystitis is! But obviously Hojo does and it has something to do with that?' She watched as he set the basket holding the offending items on the table before he turned back to look at her nervously. He had either not noticed the presence of the very tall and beautiful man sitting beside her and her brother or he had simply chosen to pretend that she was the only being present.
 
He could feel Kagome's embarrassment but hadn't picked up on the cause. If he had, Hojo most definitely would no longer be standing upright, probably not breathing, and nearly certainly in several pieces. Then the nervousness that had been flowing off the boy increased exponentially. Sesshoumaru was suspicious. The boy had yet to even look at him so he doubted he felt threatened by his presence. Why was he suddenly so nervous?
 
“So, Higurashi, you're feeling alright then?” She nodded dumbly. “That's good to hear. I was really getting worried with you always getting so ill. Since you're feeling better, do you think you might be up to a movie tomorrow afternoon? Or maybe we could get an ice cream cone and take a walk in the park?”
 
Kagome's eyes shot to Sesshoumaru whose growling had intensified. She could see the red entering his vision, rimming his golden eyes. She instinctively grabbed his hand and laced their fingers together as she searched her mind for some excuse, some way to say no. “I'm sorry, Hojo, but I can't. I have a lot of catching up to do and I have to study for finals.”
 
`He wants our mate! I told you!'
 
Sesshoumaru was having more trouble controlling himself now. The boy had very blatently shown his interest in his Kagome and he did not appreciate it a bit. For the human boy to completely ignore his presence was incredibly disrespectful, which only added insult to injury. When she grabbed hold of his hand his beast calmed at the contact and he found himself reassured just by her simple gesture. Now certainly the boy would realize his mistake and recognize that the miko at his side belonged to him and him alone.
 
“Oh, well I would be happy to help you out Higurashi.” She watched as he slid his book bag off his shoulder and unzipped it, pulling out a folder which he held out for her. “I made sure to take very thorough notes this week. The teachers went over everything that will be on the tests. I made copies for you.”
 
Kagome didn't know what to say. She really could use those notes and it was really sweet of Hojo to take them for her but what would Sesshoumaru think if she accepted them? He was still growling, though it had lessened in intensity when she took hold of his hand. Sesshoumaru was sitting closer to Hojo than she was so she would either have to stand and go to him or reach over Sesshoumaru. She would find some way to explain it to him, but she needed those notes! “Thanks a lot Hojo! The notes should make studying easier.”
 
“Yes, they should. So do you think you would have a few hours for a date? Maybe I could take you out to dinner. I know this great restaurant where they serve only organic fruits and vegetables. They have great tofu too.”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
Cystitis - Inflammation of the lining of the bladder, usually caused by an infection.
 
 
I was really surprised that I only got 5 reviews total for the last chapter. Not that I'm complaining, just curious why. I know with A Single spark down there's probably less readers, at least until they find it posted on one of the other sites. But was there a problem with the chapter? Or is it just the busy holiday thing.
 
I wasn't planning on putting this one up for a few more days but I like it so much I can't wait.
 
I was thinking about playing get to know your author (a game of my own not so original design). I was thinking that you guys could post any questions you have about me personally (not what's going to happen in the next chapter) in the comments section on myspace and I'll answer them in the blog. I spent most of the night last night right up til early morning messaging back and forth with a reader who I most definitely would now consider a friend, and she asked me some interesting questions, like how did I get hooked on Inuyasha, what made me decide to write a story, why I hate florida, all kinds of others too but I can't think of them off the top of my head. But anyway, I had a lot of fun and thought it would be nice for everyone to get to know the answers to any questions rather than me posting little bits here and there in the reviewer responses and answering the same questions over and over again. I don't know. What do you guys think about it?
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Reviewer Responses:
 
Mediaminer -
 
Ethereal Siren - Sure, full out challenge. I know you won't be able to predict it. I can't wait to see your thoughts on it once you read ch 57 though. If anyone can figure it out its you.
 
Syoze - Yes, Sesshoumaru will definitely meet Kagome's friends. Hojo's in this chapter. They will definitely be leaving the house. Haven't decided on lemons but its fairly likely that there'll be a lime.
 
Iloveprettysilverhair - Looking forward to another marathon message. It's so nice to have an adult conversation, an intelligent one at that!
 
Vixen PI - That's funny, ignoring your husband to read the new ch on the phone. I hope he doesn't get too jealous.
 
Vixen PI and Princess Kathleen - About the marks, they only work one way on Sesshoumaru at the moment since Kagome hasn't marked him, and her marks on the boys and Inu isn't anywhere near as strong along the lines of emotions, etc. And there isn't a link Sesshoumaru to the boys, besides the basic bonding between parent and child demons so they probably didn't notice he was because he came right back. Sesshoumaru would have felt the link cut when he made it to the future, cutting him off from Kagome. I just didn't specify.
 
Princess Kathleen - A frozen Sesshoumaru would be incredibly tempting now wouldn't it?! I didn't think the chapter was short. The word count has been staying in the same range not including the authors notes. Maybe it just seemed short cuz your read it fast? Eh, I dunno.