InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Inside Story ( Chapter 76 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 76 - Inside Story
 
 
Kagome woke to the slight shifting of a small body against her. Slowly opening her eyes, she couldn't help but smile when she saw Rin snuggled into Sesshoumaru's chest. Sensing that she was awake, Sesshoumaru's golden eyes opened and locked with hers. `Morning Sesshoumaru,' she said silently while yawning.
 
`Good morning to you as well,' he said with a small smirk. `You are still tired.'
 
She lifted herself up on her elbow to look over him and check out the time. `It's only six thirty. I don't need to get up for another hour.' They both looked down at the little yawn, seeing bright brown eyes and a toothy grin.
 
“Rin thought it was just a dream,” she said in an adorable tone as she glanced around. “Is this Mama's room?”
 
“Yes, Rin, this is my bedroom. Did you sleep alright?”
 
A little head of raven black hair nodded before she scooted up to sit so she could look around more. Kagome could tell that there were a million questions dancing around that sweet little mind of hers and sighed. She wasn't getting back to sleep, of that she was certain.
 
“Well, I guess we should get up then. Might as well get a good breakfast in before I head to school.” Kagome sat up beside Rin and looked at Sesshoumaru who got the message and slid out of the bed, standing a bit away so they could both get up too. Taking in the sight of the little girl Kagome smiled. “I've got something for you to wear, Rin. And I got the toothbrush I promised too.”
 
“Really? Can Rin wear clothes like you Mama?”
 
“I've got the most adorable thing for you. Come on. Let's go wash our faces and brush our teeth.” She held out her hand and Rin scrambled to take it, the two disappearing into the bathroom.
 
While the girls were gone Sesshoumaru poked through the piles of clothing at the end of the bed, wondering what Kagome would want him to wear today. He smirked as he found a pair of the pants they'd purchased the day before that had excited her so easily. He wished for a moment that he could work the clasps without damaging the fabric. He would have loved to see the look in her eyes if she came out of the bathroom to find him dressed, especially dressed in these. Digging around a bit more he retrieved a shirt that he thought would go well with the black pants with red straps and stitching, a black t-shirt that had red lettering on it, the letters appearing to have been traced in dripping blood. Holding it out to read he once again found himself impressed with Kagome's mother. The bloody words read `I'm not shy. I'm just examining my prey.' He pulled out another pair of boxers and dropped his selections on the bed.
 
He listened carefully, trying to decide how much time he had before they would return, and judging by Kagome's words he had a few more minutes since she was explaining how to properly brush her teeth to Rin. He silently dropped his pajama pants and pulled on the boxers. He pulled the shirt over his head and then sat, determined to figure out the modern clasps. He smirked as he managed to open the front of the pants without too much difficulty and slipped them on, very carefully repeating the process in reverse to secure them. He glanced in the mirror and took in the sight before him. He no longer looked like the Great Demon Lord Sesshoumaru. He looked more like the males he'd seen at the mall. He looked like a human male Kagome's age instead of a centuries old demon, well, besides the hair, eyes, markings, fangs and claws. Still, the difference was striking and he couldn't bring himself to find it a bad thing. Nothing that could make Kagome smell quite so aroused as she had yesterday could be bad, at least not in his eyes.
 
When Kagome came out of the bathroom with Rin trailing closely her jaw just about hit the floor. He looked… she didn't even know how to describe it except for that seeing him in those clothes made her want to take them right off him. She saw his smirk and the glint in his eye as he took an obvious sniff. She knew exactly what he smelled and she knew he'd done it on purpose.
 
“How'd you manage to work the zipper and button?” she asked in a voice that came out a bit more breathy than she'd intended.
 
His smirk widened. “This Sesshoumaru can achieve many things if the reward is worth the trouble.”
 
“And was it?”
 
“Very much so,” he murmured as he moved closer. He leaned in and pressed his lips to her throat. “Even more than I'd hoped,” he whispered in her ear.
 
They were startled back to reality when Rin spoke. “Mama? What is Papa wearing?”
 
Kagome laughed as Sesshoumaru pulled back, just a second of a sulking face visible, but she'd noticed it. “He's wearing clothes boys from my time that are my age wear,” she said with a grin before moving to dig through the shopping bags. She pulled out a bright yellow sundress that was covered with large orange flowers.
 
Rin nearly squealed when Kagome held it out to her. “That's for Rin?” When she nodded Rin started to bounce on the balls of her feet in excitement. “Can Rin wear it now?”
 
“That's why I got it out, sweetie. People don't wear traditional kimonos like you're wearing now except for on special occasions. Besides, I want to see how you'll look. I've got shoes for you too.”
 
The older of the two miko almost hit the ground as the younger tackled her in an enthusiastic hug. “Thank you, Mama! Rin is so happy! Rin loves it!”
 
“I'm glad. If you let me up I'll help you change.” Kagome immediately found herself released from the small arms of her `daughter' and laughed softly while standing. She helped Rin dress and carefully brushed out her wild hair before securing it in pigtails. Sesshoumaru couldn't keep the smile off his lips as he watched Kagome mother the little girl. More and more the sight was bringing to mind his Kagome with a pup in her arms, with silver hair and bright blue eyes. `Our pups will be beautiful,' he thought to himself. `Just as beautiful as she is.'
 
When Rin was finally dressed and Kagome was done clucking around her like a mother hen she dug through her closet, pulling out a clean and amazingly whole school uniform. She grabbed a few things out of a drawer before she disappeared into the bathroom, as Rin and Sesshoumaru waited patiently for her return. When she finally came out of the bathroom, Sesshoumaru had to force himself not to sweep in and attack her with his lips and tongue. Seeing her in the same clothing as she'd been wearing when he first saw her, as well as most of the times he'd encountered her, stirred his blood. He caught her eyes with his before talking silently in her mind. `This Sesshoumaru will take great pleasure in removing those garments from you.' His tone was full of promises and she blushed.
 
`No claws! This is the only one I have that isn't all torn up or covered in someone's blood! It has to stay wearable until the end of the week.'
 
`This Sesshoumaru can be patient.'
 
Her blush brightened and she turned away. “Alright, well, let's go downstairs and find something to eat.”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
He groaned and found himself wondering why his head hurt so much. He tried to lift his right arm to gently massage his temple but found that he couldn't move it more than a few inches. He repeated the action and the discovery with his left hand. He really didn't want to open his eyes. With the way his head hurt already, he knew that letting any light in was a bad idea. However, the knowledge that he couldn't move his limbs and with no memory as to why bothered him enough to suffer the pain he knew would come with the light.
 
Very slowly Hojo cracked one eye open, just a sliver, hoping that going slow would make it easier. When he looked down at his hands though, his eyes whipped open completely and for a moment he thought the entire world had exploded. He clenched his eyes shut and a few minutes later he decided that it was just his brain that had exploded inside his skull and braved opening his eyes again. He had to have been mistaken. He had to have seen wrong. There was no way that his arms were strapped to the bed at the wrists with what looked like wide leather belts.
 
When he could finally see, his eyes having adjusted a little less painfully this time to the invading light, he discovered that he had seen right after all. `What's going on?' he thought, his voice inside his head already bordering on hysterical. `Where the hell am I? How did I get here?' He looked around the room wildly, trying to find any hint as to where he was and why. There was nothing. The walls were a dingy white and completely bare, and there was a curtain on his left that was blocking his sight entirely which made him nervous. `What if someone's over there?'
 
His head snapped to study the curtain as he heard movement on the other side. “Is anyone there? Please! Is someone there? Where am I? How did I get here?” Hojo cried out frantically.
 
Before his patient worked himself up any more the doctor pulled the curtain back, revealing himself to the boy. “Calm down. You're in the hospital and everything is fine.”
 
“Then why are my arms strapped to the bed?!?” he yelled at the man in a white lab coat.
 
“You bit one of the orderlies that brought you in, so you've been restrained for the safety of the staff. You know, he needed seventeen stitches. It wasn't very nice of you to bite him.”
 
Hojo looked confused. “I don't remember biting anyone!”
 
The doctor furrowed his brows. “What is the last thing you remember?” He watched as the teenager appeared to be thinking, really wracking his brain for the answer. He picked up the chart that was hanging off the end of the bed, immediately understanding. “Don't force it. You'll remember eventually. Sometimes the tranquilizer they used can cause temporary memory loss. You've been admitted for observation and evaluation. Apparently you were making some impossible claims during your interrogation.”
 
“Tranquilizer? Interrogation?” he repeated in surprise. What the hell had happened to him? He didn't remember doing anything wrong, let alone something that would lead to an interrogation. And they'd tranquilized him? Not being able to remember was driving him crazy, but by the way the doctor looked him over it was apparent that they already thought he was. He let out a sigh and allowed his head to drop back down to the pillow. Whatever had occurred, it was obvious he wouldn't be remembering it anytime soon.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Souta had woken with the sun like any kid his age and was already downstairs playing video games while his mother was in the kitchen making breakfast. When he heard his sister coming down the stairs he glanced at her but found that he needed a double-take. There, standing next to Kagome and Sesshoumaru, was a little girl that looked just like his sister!
 
“Whoa! Kagome! Where'd you get the kid? She looks just like you!”
 
Kagome smiled. Rin had been nervous about meeting her family, but the sight of someone close to her own age appeared to have relaxed her immediately. “This is Rin, Souta. Rin, this is my little brother Souta.”
 
“Hey, you wanna play video games with me?” he asked, holding up the second controller in offering. “Where'd she come from anyway?” he questioned Kagome when he noticed the little girl's confusion.
 
“She came through the well last night. I told you about her, Souta.”
 
“She's that Rin?” he said in surprise.
 
Hiromi, hearing their voices, popped her head out of the kitchen to say good morning to her daughter and Sesshoumaru. Her words were caught in her throat when she saw the little girl holding Kagome's hand. The resemblance was uncanny and there was absolutely no way that it was merely a coincidence. Kagome hadn't brought home any pictures of the little girl she'd talked about yet and apparently her descriptions had been lacking. Hiromi felt her chest tighten painfully. He'd promised her. He'd sworn that he loved her, only her, and that she would forever be the only woman for him. Apparently he'd lied to her, because there was no other possible explanation. This little girl had to be her husband's child, Kagome and Souta's half-sister. She might as well have been Kagome, like her daughter had just stepped out of one of the photographs of her as a child that littered the house.
 
Sesshoumaru sensed the wave of despair that was rolling off her mother and immediately drew Kagome's attention to it. “Mama?” Kagome asked softly. The look on her mother's face, in her eyes… she'd never seen her mother look so absolutely devastated, not even when her father had left them and Kagome had been told he was dead. She followed her mother's eyes and realized she was staring at Rin. “Mama? Are you alright?” Kagome's heart clenched as she watched a single tear roll down her mother's face.
 
In a second Kagome had released Rin's hand and had her arms wrapped around her mother. “What's wrong, Mama? I told you about Rin. She's the little girl Sesshoumaru takes care of, remember?”
 
Hiromi nodded absently. “I remember dear. It's not that.”
 
“Well then what is it?” the miko asked in frustration.
 
“It's… it's nothing dear. She just looks so much like you did at her age.”
 
Kagome glanced from her mother to Rin and back. “I guess, but why would that make you cry?”
 
Rin was clinging to the chains and straps that hung from his pants; not knowing what was happening but feeling instinctively that she was the root of the problem. Feeling her distress, Sesshoumaru bent down and lifted her into his arms. “It's alright Rin. Everything is fine.”
 
“But Rin made the pretty lady cry,” she whispered.
 
“It is not your fault Rin. Why don't you go see if Souta can explain the game to you?” When she nodded reluctantly, he carefully set her back on her feet and watched her run to where Kagome's little brother sat with his eyes glued to the television screen. Once she appeared to be settled he walked over to where Kagome and Hiromi stood. “The resemblance is uncanny, it is true, but she is not who you believe she is.”
 
The older woman's eyes immediately locked with his. “How do you know? And how do you know who I think she is?”
 
“Who do you think she is?” Kagome asked curiously.
 
“You have used your crystal to check on him in the past, yes?” Hiromi nodded. “During the last two years?” She nodded again. “Then she is definitely not who you think she is. Her parents were killed by bandits before she came to be under my care. The villagers had been taking care of her, poorly, before she found me.”
 
“You can't be sure! She could just think he died,” she paused and looked at Souta. “Like Kagome did,” she whispered.
 
“Mama! You think that she's…” Her words were cut off when Sesshoumaru covered her mouth with his hand. He released her a moment later when her eyes had calmed. Thankfully she hadn't licked his hand this time. He wasn't sure he would have been able to control himself. “How can you think that?” she hissed at her mother angrily.
 
“She looks just like you, honey. Exactly. What am I supposed to think?”
 
Sesshoumaru appeared to be thinking for a moment before he spoke once more in his calm dull tone. “If she were indeed sired by the same male as Kagome and Souta I would be able to detect it in her scent. While there are similarities, she is not their sister, this Sesshoumaru can assure you.”
 
“Similarities?” Kagome asked in surprise.
 
“Yes. Your scent is very similar to Rin's, just as your appearances are so similar. The only major difference is the eye color.”
 
“Not exactly,” Hiromi whispered. She turned around and grabbed a framed photo off a shelf. “Look at her eyes,” she said while handing it to the demon lord. She watched as his eyes widened in surprise. “She had brown eyes when she was younger too.”
 
“I had what?” Kagome asked in surprise, snatching the picture from his hands. “But… how?”
 
“It's complicated dear, and now isn't the time.” Feeling the weight lifted from her shoulders by Sesshoumaru's reassurances, she turned and walked back into the kitchen. “I'm making French toast,” she called to them in a happy tone.
 
“My eyes were brown?” Kagome asked, more to herself than anyone else. “How could I not notice? There are pictures of me everywhere!” She set the one she'd been looking at down and grabbed another and then another. Every single one had her with obviously brown eyes, at least until she got to the last one that had ever been taken before their father `died'. In that photo she could very clearly see her own familiar blue eyes staring back, eyes that matched her father's perfectly.
 
“This Sesshoumaru does not know, but you cannot allow it to bother you. You cannot be distracted for your exams.” Kagome sighed but nodded, letting her head drop to his chest.
 
Breakfast was interesting since Kagome's grandfather had come down from his room just in time to have completely missed the entire discussion. He'd immediately jumped to the same conclusions, only louder, and both Hiromi and Kagome had nearly tackled him to shut his mouth. He'd pouted all through breakfast after that. Rin and Souta appeared to have clicked immediately and apparently the little girl loved French toast, because she had certainly packed it away.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Inuyasha woke to the worried eyes of eight children. He knew why immediately. “Rin is fine. She's with your father.”
 
“She's where?” Hitoshi asked incredulously. “Father is with Mama. Rin couldn't…”
 
“Rin went through the well last night. She must have woken from the nightmare again. When I followed the trail of her scent through the well I spoke with him. She made it to Kagome's era safely and they decided she would stay the rest of the night there.”
 
“So the well allowed her to pass?” Akihiro inquired. “How did she know it would?”
 
Inuyasha frowned. “I don't think she did. I'm pretty sure she didn't think about it at all. She's lucky it let her through because she would have gotten pretty hurt if she'd hit the bottom.”
 
Miroku walked closer, having been poking at the fire and listening at the same time. “Perhaps the well granted her passage because she was in need of it?” he said thoughtfully, his voice trailing off.
 
“Whaddya mean, monk? Spit it out!”
 
Miroku sighed in frustration at his friend's impatience. “I was merely suggesting that the well let her through because she needed Kagome and Sesshoumaru. Perhaps her distress about the dreams was so great that she could be soothed by no other.”
 
“It does make sense. She really missed Mama and Father,” Yoshi said slowly. “When will she return?”
 
“I'm supposed to go back this morning. He's gonna tell me more about the dreams and I'll bring her back with me then.”
 
“Lucky. Rin got to see Mama and you do too!” Isamu said in a cranky voice.
 
“Isamu! Rin was terrified by her dreams. She was not `lucky'. Jealousy is not befitting of you,” Shinji lectured. “I'm sure that we all wish to see Mama, but none of us would choose to experience the circumstances that led to Rin's visit with her. And Uncle Inuyasha needs to find out what is causing the nightmares so that we can help end them.”
 
Isamu nodded with a sheepish look on his face. “We just miss her,” Yuudai said, smiling at his twin. “We understand. We know you didn't mean it the way it sounded.”
 
Sango decided that they needed a change of topic. “Hey! You guys wanna come along with me to get water for breakfast and wash up?”
 
The children nodded and when Sango started to walk away from camp Miroku's eyes widened. “Sango!” he called out to her.
 
“What, Miroku?” she asked in a frustrated tone.
 
“I wouldn't go that way. Come on. I'll go with you.”
 
“But this is the way I always go,” she said suspiciously.
 
“Yes my love, but the wolf prince fell prey to one of our traps last night and he may still be sleeping where we left him.”
 
Instantly there were eight voices begging for details and with a smile Miroku began his story while leading them to a spot a bit further downstream where there was a much smaller risk of stumbling onto a naked and unconscious wolf demon.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Sesshoumaru had insisted on walking her to school, not that she'd really put up too much of a protest, she didn't want to leave his presence anyway. It was going to be a long day and she wasn't looking forward to it in the least. She hadn't noticed just how much she'd gotten used to his always being with her until she was faced with being without him. Rin had nearly begged to come along, not that they would have left her behind in the first place. Kagome had brushed Sesshoumaru's hair and carefully secured it in a low ponytail at his neck, ensuring that it covered the points of his ears completely, and the full length was currently tossed over one shoulder and out of the way. Rin sat up high on his shoulders, enjoying looking down on the world for once, his hands loosely holding her ankles in case she began to slip. Kagome thought it was absolutely adorable and had insisted on taking a picture of the pair before they left the shrine grounds.
 
They were getting closer to the school now and Kagome couldn't stop the smirk that spread smugly across her face. They were jealous, all of them. She listened to the comments the girls whispered to each other, having no idea they were being overheard.
 
“Holy shit! Did you see the hottie with Kagome?”
 
“Wow, look at that hair! I've never seen that color before.”
 
“How did she manage to catch one that hot?”
 
“I can't believe she's cheating on Hojo! I wonder if he even knows.”
 
“I don't know, but I'd take him over Hojo any day.”
 
“Mmm. I could just eat him, he's so sexy.”
 
“I wonder how old he is. He looks older.”
 
“He has to be older or he would be in school today.”
 
“How come Higurashi gets all the luck?”
 
“I bet he kisses like a dream.”
 
“I'll bet he fucks like an animal.”
 
“He's probably huge!”
 
“I'd give almost anything to be Higurashi right now.”
 
“I'd give just about anything to touch him, even for a second.”
 
“He looks like a Kami!”
 
“He's delicious. So much cuter than the boys at our school!”
 
“I bet Hojo's upset that she dumped him. He's pretty cute. Maybe he'll finally get over her and move on… to me.”
 
“If I had to choose between Hojo and that hunk of man meat, Hojo would lose in an instant.”
 
“Yeah, I don't blame her. Who wouldn't pick him over Hojo?”
 
Kagome wanted to laugh at some of the things she was hearing, but frowned at the mention of Hojo. Really, how much more obvious could she make it that she didn't want to and in fact had never been dating him? Sesshoumaru was holding her hand as they walked and every now and then he would glance at her face. He could feel the smugness pouring off of her and he couldn't help but smirk. She knew he was hers and she was certainly proud of it. He wanted to growl when he heard some of the things the male students were saying, even more so when Kagome started to blush as she heard them too.
 
“Check it out! Higurashi's here.”
 
“Always nice to see her. Did I ever mention just how much I like the girls' uniform?”
 
“Her legs just never get boring.”
 
“Her legs? How about that ass?”
 
“Wonder who the pretty boy is.”
 
“He looks like a fruit, especially with the hair. Who has hair that long?”
 
“What's with the marks all over his face?”
 
“How did this asshole get her attention? I've been trying to get her to go out with me for months!”
 
“Hojo's been after her for years. I wonder if he knows.”
 
“I don't know but damned if I didn't wish I was that guy.”
 
“I'd give just about anything to see what she's got on under that skirt.”
 
“I'll bet it's red… and lacy.”
 
“Nah. She's too much of the sweet innocent type for red lace panties. No, she's got virginal white cotton, maybe with a cute little picture on them.”
 
“Yeah, you're probably right. Either way, I'd pay to see them.”
 
“So would I.”
 
Kagome couldn't believe the things the boys were saying about her! She'd never been able to hear so well before and she almost wished she couldn't because she really didn't need to know what the male student body thought of her ass or what their guesses on her panties were either. She glanced at Sesshoumaru and could see that he wasn't so amused anymore. He'd found it entertaining that all the girls had been talking about him but the possessive, jealous side of him couldn't stand hearing the boys admirations.
 
When they were near the front steps of the school Kagome turned around and leaned up to kiss him softly, all the whispering ceased as everyone watched the two. Sesshoumaru glanced over her shoulder, seeing a few of the boys that had just moments ago been admiring his Kagome's perfect ass. They looked incredibly jealous and he just couldn't help himself as he smirked at them before snaking his hand under the back of her skirt and giving her ass a firm squeeze. Kagome squealed in surprise and when she saw his face she glared at him.
 
“You just had to show off, didn't you?”
 
“The human males needed to be educated as to who you belong to.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and watched as he lifted Rin from his shoulders and set her down carefully so she could hug Kagome good-bye. “Bye, Mama!” she called a little louder than Kagome would have preferred. She closed her eyes and prayed that no one had heard but she was denied again. The whispering started up again, even more than before, and she wished she had a megaphone so she could make it clear to everyone that Rin called her Mama but she wasn't actually her mother! Really, she wasn't even seventeen yet! How could she possibly have a child Rin's age?
 
Deciding there was nothing she could do about it and that it didn't really matter anyway, Kagome knelt down and hugged the little girl. “I love you sweetie. I'll see you when Sesshoumaru and I come back, alright?” They'd explained to Rin that she would be returning to the past with Inuyasha and she'd agreed, though she really wished she could stay with them. She knew that her Mama needed to concentrate and she wasn't too young to know that the couple wanted to enjoy their chance at privacy, something they wouldn't find in the feudal era.
 
Kagome kissed Sesshoumaru again, this time moaning as his hands slipped into her hair and his tongue caressed hers. The kiss lasted for over a minute, only ending when they both needed air. He was hesitant to let her go, but he had things to do today, things that could only be done while she was at school. Besides talking to Inuyasha and explaining the source of Rin's dreams, something he wasn't looking forward to, he had a few things to do with Hiromi that Kagome absolutely could not know about. After another couple shorter, but no less passionate kisses, Kagome finally declared that she had to go inside before the bell rang and she was late. Sesshoumaru and Rin watched as she ran up the stairs and disappeared behind the doors before he held out his hand to the little girl and she took it, the two beginning their short walk back to the shrine.
 
“Papa?” Rin asked in an inquisitive voice.
 
“Yes, Rin?”
 
“How'd you get your arm back?”
 
His eyes widened for a moment. He just couldn't believe that he'd already forgotten about it! He'd been without it for so long that he had expected there to be a longer adjustment period, but it was like he never lost his arm at all. There was no adjustment needed. He hadn't realized that Rin had only ever seen him with one arm. “Kagome was so kind as to return it to me,” he said with a small smile.
 
“Mama did it? Wow!”
 
“Yes, I was surprised as well. She is much more powerful than she knows and has a much greater control than she shows. It was her gift to me, just as she gifted Inuyasha with the ability to use his full demon powers at will.”
 
“Papa?”
 
“Yes, Rin?”
 
“It's nice to have you hug me with both arms. I bet she thinks so too.”
 
“Perhaps, though she was insistent that I did not need it.”
 
“Not needing it and not having it are different though.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru agrees. It is nice to hold her, and you, with both arms. But don't tell anyone about it yet, okay?”
 
“Why?” the little girl asked in confusion.
 
“Inuyasha knows, but this Sesshoumaru would prefer for the others to find out when we return.”
 
“Alright, Papa. I'll keep it a secret,” she whispered in a conspiratorial voice. “Secrets are fun!”
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
He was clutching the railing at his side so tightly that his knuckles were white. It had been bad enough to be turned down by her at the mall, but for her to bring her `boyfriend' here; all he wanted to do was fight the bastard, to prove once and for all who the bigger man was. He'd wanted her for so long, even longer than Hojo's little obsession, and she'd never given him the time of day. It hadn't bothered him when everyone thought she was with Hojo. He knew she wasn't. But this guy, now everyone knew that she'd picked someone else. He doubted he could get lucky enough for the other students to have forgotten his public announcements of his claim on Higurashi. He'd been so confident, so sure she would be thrilled to be called his girlfriend, but apparently he was wrong.
 
He watched as her pretty boy grabbed her ass and when she kissed him. They kissed like no one else existed in the world, like they didn't care who saw. `That should be me! I should be the one kissing her like that! That should be my hand on her ass! She was supposed to be mine!'
“Kyo?” a familiar feminine voice caught his attention.
 
“What, Momoko?” he asked, frustrated. Now wasn't the time. He didn't have time to play with the school slut, not when his Kagome was sucking face with her `boyfriend'.
 
“She turned you down, didn't she?” The boy shot her a vicious glare. “You wanna teach him a lesson, don't you?”
 
Finally he turned and looked at the girl at his side. “What do you have in mind?”
 
“That bitch embarrassed me, let that asshole make me fall in public and he even dared to call me names! I want her to pay. I want to rip them apart. Then she'll come running into your arms just like you want and I can have my fun with her man.” Momoko's voice was full of hatred and Kyo watched as her eyes narrowed in her anger.
 
“How?”
 
“Well, she's taking him to the party this Friday. We can…” An evil smile spread across Kyo's face as Momoko laid out her plan. It was perfect, just what he needed to teach Kagome where she belonged and get rid of the competition all at once.
 
“I'm in.”
 
“Perfect. This is going to be fun,” she said before wrapping her arm around one of his. The two co-conspirators sauntered into the school building, the doors swinging shut behind them just as the bell rang.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
A cool breeze blew across his chest and his shivers drew him from his deep sleep. The wolf slowly opened his eyes, letting them adjust to the bright morning sun, and took in his surroundings. It took a moment, but then he remembered. He'd fallen into a pit that had been filled with some kind of white powder that made him itch uncontrollably. He'd rushed to the stream, hoping the torture would end if he washed it off. It had worked, but he didn't remember moving to lean against a tree. He certainly hadn't covered himself with his furs, as they'd been completely soaked. He'd been so tired that he had fallen asleep just on the bank of the stream. He remembered feeling the cold water on his toes since he hadn't even made it all the way out of the water. So how did he get where he was then?
 
Realizing that he was still naked, just draped in his furs, he stood and quickly dressed, securing his armor and his sword. He shook his head slowly in confusion. Whatever was going on, it was getting weirder all the time. He glanced around, trying to see if there was anything that might lead to some answers, but there was nothing. He extended his senses and noticed that the monk and slayer were a bit upstream with the kitsune and Sesshoumaru's plethora of ankle-biters. Without giving it a second thought, the wolf was moving swiftly in their direction, intent on discovering if they'd also experienced odd things. Maybe they would have some clue as to where his pack was as well! Just as he left the area a bright ray of sunlight broke through the canopy of leaves, shining right on the tree he'd been seated against. There was a soft hissing sound before the sutra, having reached its end, caught fire and disappeared into ashes, leaving nothing behind to prove its existence.
 
Miroku and Sango both tensed as they felt the approaching demonic aura. Kirara and Kazue both immediately transformed, ready to protect their charges from the wolf if necessary. The pups and Shippo looked around nervously and everyone wondered if he'd figured it out already. They didn't have much time to worry as the telltale dust funnel cloud approached and then disappeared, leaving the wolf prince in its wake.
 
Kouga took in the nervous faces and tense forms, wondering why the monk and slayer looked like they were ready to attack him. They hadn't prepared to fight him for the longest time; only the hanyou still readied him self for battle. “Yo,” he said with a fanged smirk. He watched as they all appeared to relax and he furrowed his brows. “I wanted to know if you've noticed anything odd happening lately.”
 
Miroku cleared his throat, trying not to laugh as he realized Kouga still had no idea. “What exactly do you mean by odd?”
 
The wolf demon sighed softly. He really didn't want to go into it and had hoped they would know something and volunteer the information. Apparently that wasn't going to happen. “I woke up yesterday afternoon and I can't remember how I got there. My pack has disappeared and several other strange things have occurred since then.”
 
“Your pack is gone?” Sango asked in a surprised voice.
 
“Yes and the clearing we were camped in had no signs of their departure. It held no signs that we'd been camped there at all.”
 
“Well that is odd,” Miroku replied, doing his best to sound mystified. “I am sorry to tell you Kouga that we haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary. It is odd that…” Miroku was cut off as a red blur skidded to a stop between the group and Kouga.
 
“What the fuck do you want, flea bag?” Inuyasha snarled. When he'd sensed the wolf's presence close to his pack, his responsibilities, he'd made it there as quickly as possible. His heart had been in his throat the entire time as he worried that Kouga had figured it out and was planning on getting his revenge.
 
Kouga crossed his arms over his chest and gave the hanyou an obstinate look. He snorted before looking down his nose at the half demon. “It has nothing to do with you; I was speaking with the monk and the slayer.”
 
Inuyasha snarled and was ready to rip the wolf's head off when Miroku spoke. “Inuyasha, Kouga has just inquired as to whether we have noticed any odd happenings in the area as of late. You haven't noticed anything, have you?”
 
Inuyasha had to fight the smirk that wanted to stretch widely across his face as his stance relaxed. The wolf still had no idea. Everything was fine. Actually, it was better than fine. Kouga was so confused that he was actually asking them? The very idea made him want to drop to his knees and laugh until he lost his voice. “Odd?” he asked in an almost teasing voice. “I ain't noticed anything off. Whatcha talkin' `bout?”
 
Sango answered this time. “His pack has gone missing and yesterday he woke up somewhere and couldn't remember how he got there.”
 
“So, your pack finally got a brain and abandoned you? About time,” he scoffed.
 
Kouga growled and the fur of his tail bristled. “They would never abandon their alpha,” he snarled.
 
Inuyasha lifted his hands in a gesture of surrender. “Of course not. Don't know what I was thinkin'. Well, we ain't seen them and nothing weird has been happenin' to us. Don't know what to tell ya. You sure you didn't send them away and forget about it? Maybe you got in a fight and took a good blow to that hard head of yours.”
 
Kouga bristled further and snarled louder. “I didn't get in a fight you worthless half breed.” He shot a glare at the group of young demons who were now all growling softly at him. “Don't know why any of you would defend this idiot,” he said before turning to the monk and slayer again. “I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. If anything happens to you or if you notice someone sneakin' around, let me know. Something's up, and whatever it is needs to stop before my Kagome gets back. I wouldn't want for her to get hurt. See ya!” he called out as he spun away in his funnel cloud once more, completely ignoring the increasing in their threatening growls at the mention of `his' Kagome.
 
Once they were all sure he was really gone the laughter started again. “Just fuckin' perfect! He asks us!” Inuyasha got out through almost hysterical laughter. When they finally calmed and could breathe and stand upright again, the group returned to camp, ready for breakfast. They'd worked up quite an appetite laughing at the wolf's stupidity.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Breakfast had been quick for the hanyou who was rather impatiently waiting to hear the explanation of Rin's nightmares. He'd scarfed down his food so quickly the others were surprised he hadn't choked. There'd definitely been no time for chewing. After a quick good-bye he was out of camp and down the well, checking the area first to make sure the wolf was no where around. Kouga definitely didn't need to know about the well.
 
Sesshoumaru was just reaching the top of the shrine steps with Rin when he felt the magic of the well. Turning towards the well house, the demon lord and the little miko met the hanyou at the wooden doors. Peering around to ensure they were alone, Sesshoumaru nodded to Inuyasha who slipped out before closing the doors carefully behind him. The three made their way into the house and Hiromi greeted them in a cheerful tone, her earlier worries completely gone. Rin was invited to help make a batch of cookies to take back with her, something the little girl agreed to instantly, and soon the two brothers were alone in Kagome's room in silence.
 
Inuyasha had fought the laughter at his brother's clothes, remembering the reaction last night. Still, he couldn't keep his eyes from the odd pants, his head tilting in confusion as he tried to figure out the point in all the hanging straps and chains.
 
Sesshoumaru sighed at his brother's silent inspection. “Kagome picked them out. They are not uncomfortable and the benefits make the oddity worth it.”
 
“Benefits?” the hanyou asked, lifting a brow in a perfection impression of the elder inu.
 
“The miko finds this Sesshoumaru quite attractive in them,” he said in a suggestive tone that reminded them both of Miroku.
 
Inuyasha frowned. “I so didn't need to know. Forget I even asked.”
 
Sesshoumaru chuckled, the sound almost frightening his half-brother. Inuyasha still wasn't used to the happier and less violent Western Lord. “Perhaps we should discuss what brought you here?”
 
“Yeah,” he said slowly. “Let's do that.”
 
“What is it that you desire to know?” The brothers sat and talked for almost an hour, Inuyasha first told him what he knew and then Sesshoumaru filled in the blanks. The hanyou had grudgingly admitted their activities regarding the wolf and was surprised when he wasn't disemboweled. The elder inu had actually been entertained by Inuyasha's play by play and while he hadn't ordered them to stop, they both agreed that Rin should be kept out of it from then on. Neither guessed that it was more than just the presence of the wolves that had caused the nightmares to return. Neither knew that it had actually been Kouga and his wolves that had led to the innocent little girl's death. Only Kagome knew, and she wasn't telling… at least not yet.
 
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagome was sitting in her desk, looking out the window and waiting for class to begin when her attention was caught. She turned in her seat to listen to the students talking beside her. They'd mentioned Hojo and she was quite curious as to what had occurred after she was injured and unconscious.
 
“They arrested him, and my father got to watch the interrogation. My dad said that he was nuts! He was talking to himself like crazy and then was ranting about monsters and demons; that the whole world was in danger and only he could warn us and save us.”
 
“Really? I can't believe it! He always seemed like such a nice guy!”
 
“Maybe, but apparently he's obsessed with Kagome.” None of the students had noticed her presence, being accustomed to her absence, so she continued to listen as they discussed her involvement, very interested in just what Hojo had done to be interrogated and what he had told the police. She needed to know if they were in trouble.
 
“I always knew he liked her, but obsessed? Wow!”
 
“Yeah. He told them that he was trying to save Kagome from the demon that was pretending to be her boyfriend or something, but that she was a demon too.”
 
“Kagome? A demon? He's definitely lost his mind.”
 
“They called the hospital to take him in for observation and they had to tranquilize him to get him out of there! He bit one of the orderlies!” the well informed student said dramatically.
 
Kagome couldn't help it. She was confused, having missed the beginning of the conversation. “Um, what did he do to get arrested to begin with?”
 
The small group that had been in a huddle around one desk turned slowly, each with eyes wide in surprise. “Kagome?” one of them asked.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Well, there goes that theory. My father and his partner thought that you might have been the one injured. So you weren't there?”
 
“Wasn't where?”
 
“At the mall! You didn't hear? Hojo ran through the food court at the mall yesterday with a knife in his hand that was covered in blood. Freaked everyone out. One woman got her arm broken in the mess of people trying to get away.”
 
“I saw something about the mall on the news last night. So that was Hojo?”
 
The girl nodded vigorously. “I guess he said that he cut you somehow… but then he did say you were a demon too. You don't look like a demon to me!” Kagome's eyes widened a bit more with each new revelation but relaxed as the student decided nothing was out of the ordinary with her.
 
“Nope,” she said with a grin. “Not a demon. I was at the mall yesterday with Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi and my boyfriend but we didn't see Hojo. It had to have happened after we had lunch then.”
 
“I wonder if he imagined it then. But there was blood on the knife. Dad said they're gonna test it.” No one noticed the worried look that flitted over the miko's face for a moment as she began to chew her bottom lip nervously. “Did you know he was obsessed with you?”
 
Trying to act as normal as possible Kagome shook her head. “Not really. I mean, he always brought me gifts, even after I told him not to. He never got it that I didn't want to date him. But nothing was weird until Saturday. He showed up on Friday and met my boyfriend and when we were shopping on Saturday we caught him following us. It was weird. So they think he's crazy?”
 
The cop's daughter nodded with a giant smirk. “Oh yeah! Unless, your boyfriend and you are both horrible dangerous demons planning to take over the world and turn us all into things like you.”
 
Kagome let out a real laugh. It was just too funny, hearing what he was thinking. “Not that I know of.”
 
“Did you hear he bit the orderlies and they had to tranquilize him?”
 
Kagome nodded at one of the other students. “I just can't believe that he's crazy,” she said thoughtfully. “He was a bit dense, but he always seemed harmless.” She watched as the girl with all the information pulled out her phone and began hitting buttons rapidly. “Whatcha doin'?” she asked curiously.
 
“I'm texting my Dad to tell him that you're here and fine. They were going to go to the shrine and check on you.”
 
“Oh,” the miko said, letting out a sigh of relief. If they knew she was fine maybe they wouldn't go to her house, or maybe they would at least wait until she would be there too. She didn't know how they would handle it without her, but she didn't want to find out either.
 
The room was suddenly silent as the teacher walked in and stood behind his desk. “Alright now, everyone take your seats. The exam is a big one and you're going to want to use every minute of this period.” There were low groans but everyone obeyed.
 
As the tests were passed back in the rows Kagome glanced out the window for a moment. `Well, at least they didn't believe him. Poor Hojo. He really did see a demon… and I guess I probably sounded like one.' She turned to stare at the thick packet on her desk that was her science final exam. `I can't think about that now. Come on, Kagome. Focus!'
“And you can now begin,” the teacher announced. The room filled with the rustling of paper and the scratching of pencils, all thoughts of everything but the test forced from everyone's minds.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Author's note:
 
Two announcements:
 
First, Brainshake, or LazyJenny, (Gee, I have no idea which to call you anymore!) just sent me the most beautiful thing. She drew a fanart for SWtPF and it can be found at
 
http://lazyjenny.deviantart.com/art/Kagome-and-the-dog-pile -77105294
 
http :// lazyjenny .deviantart .com/ art/ Kagome -and -the -dog -pile- 77105294
take out spaces
 
If it doesn't show up here, then check out my livejournal, the link to which is in my profile.
 
And Second, the results of the Dokuga Awards are in and SWtPF won:
 
3 rd Place Best Lemonfic
3 rd Place Best Portrayal Sesshoumaru
2 nd Place Best Portrayal Kagome
 
and
 
1 st Place Best Romance!!
 
Thanks to everyone who nominated or voted for the story! I'm really excited!