InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Kagome's Heart-rending Decision ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shippo blinked a couple times and rubbed his eyes, making sure he was seeing properly.
“Did we… really kill Naraku?” he questioned disbelievingly.
“Only one way to find out…” noted Miroku. He uncovered the hand with the Wind Tunnel in it and his eyes widened, half in shock and half in joy, at what he saw: the Wind Tunnel was gone! And he knew that meant one thing; Naraku was, indeed, dead.
“Yes, Shippo… We really did kill Naraku… My Wind Tunnel has disappeared,” he concluded, showing everyone his right palm. They all cheered, each in their own unique way.
Sango heard someone calling to her and she gasped when she recognized the voice; it was her brother Kohaku, who had been under Naraku's control. Sango turned and saw him walking towards her, a small smile on his face.
“Kohaku…?” uttered Sango in disbelief. Kohaku nodded.
“Yes, sister. I remember you now,” he said. Sango cried out happily and ran up to Kohaku, hugging him tightly, tears streaming down her cheeks. Kohaku hugged back. Miroku smiled and surmised, “Since Naraku had to take the shard he put in Kohaku's back out in order to make the jewel complete, that must've broken his hold on Kohaku.” Sango nodded.
“Yes. I'm so relieved that he's okay…” she whispered softly. Kohaku felt tears in his eyes as well.
“I remember everything now…” he said.
Kagome walked up to where the Sacred Jewel had fallen and smiled when she saw it sitting there, whole at last. She bent down and picked it up, looking at it. She was feeling two emotions at that moment: joy, and dismay. She was feeling joy because the Sacred Jewel of Four Souls was finally restored to its original form, and Naraku was gone for good. She was feeling dismay because now that Naraku was dead, she had to return to her world. She snapped out of her thoughts when Inuyasha picked her up from around the waist and spun her around happily.
“We did it! We killed Naraku, Kagome! And the Sacred Jewel is restored!” he howled ecstatically. Kagome forced a smile.
“Yeah… I guess we did…”
“What's wrong, Kagome?” asked Inuyasha, a curious tone in his voice. Kagome sighed sadly and replied, “Now that Naraku is dead and the Sacred Jewel is whole again, I have to go back to my time… for good…” Everyone looked crushed (emotionally) at this, especially Inuyasha. Sesshomaru didn't quite understand what Kagome meant.
“Why, Kagome?” he asked. Kagome swallowed the lump in her throat and felt her eyes burn with hot tears.
“… The only reason I kept coming back here was because my mission in this world was to kill Naraku and restore the Sacred Jewel… And I have completed that mission…” she explained. She didn't bother to hold back her tears anymore. Sesshomaru walked over to her and embraced her comfortingly.
“Then I guess… this is goodbye,” he stated as calmly as possible, sadness in his voice. Kagome buried her face into Sesshomaru's fluffy and nodded, sobbing. Sesshomaru rested his cheek against Kagome's soft black hair and closed his eyes, running his hands up and down her back slowly. Inuyasha looked away, not able to bear seeing the girl he loved fall into the arms of another. And since it was his brother's arms that Kagome fell into, that made him even more depressed. Everyone else moved closer to Kagome. Kagome looked at all of her friends, old and new, with tears in her eyes.
“No, I don't want you to go…” cried Shippo.
“Me neither,” said Sango.
“Nor do I,” stated Miroku.
“But… I just met you, Kagome-san! I don't want you to leave!” bawled Rin. Inuyasha's silence explained how he felt. Kagome hugged each of them in turn; she even hugged Ah-Un and Jaken, even though she knew they wouldn't, or couldn't, hug back.
“I'll miss you… All of you…” she sniffled. Everyone bowed to her and Sesshomaru put his hand on Kagome's shoulder. Kagome looked up at him. She saw sadness in his eyes and wished that she didn't have to leave.
“Come. I will take you to the well,” offered Sesshomaru. Kagome nodded, said goodbye to everyone, and climbed onto Sesshomaru's back. Sesshomaru leaped away and within a few moments, he was out of the castle and out of sight.
“Goodbye, Kagome…” whispered Inuyasha. He hesitated a moment then sped out of the castle, heading for the Bone-Eater's well. The others followed on Kirara and Ah-Un's backs.
An hour later, Sesshomaru stopped in front of the Bone-Eater's well and let Kagome off of his back. Kagome looked into the well, tears dripping from her cheeks and falling into the darkness. She turned and looked at Sesshomaru, her hand clenched over her chest. She stepped closer to him.
“Sesshomaru… I'll miss you…” she whispered. Sesshomaru smiled slightly and wiped Kagome's tears away with his hand.
“I'll miss you too, Kagome… Promise me that you'll never forget…” Kagome smiled a bit and nodded.
“I promise… But I have something to tell you before I go…” Sesshomaru gazed deep into Kagome's eyes.
“What is it?” Kagome took a deep breath and leaned up, capturing Sesshomaru's lips in a passionate kiss. Sesshomaru was a bit surprised, but he eagerly returned the favor, wrapping his arms around Kagome. Many minutes passed, then Kagome broke the kiss.
“What I wanted to say is that I… I love you, Sesshomaru…” she said shyly. Sesshomaru's eyes widened a bit. But before he could reply, Kagome had jumped into the well.
Inuyasha saw Kagome jump into the well and bolted towards it. He yelled, “Kagome!” and leaped in after her. But he didn't end up in Kagome's era; he ended up at the bottom of the well.
“No… No… NO!” he screamed, smashing his fists against the wall. He could feel tears in his eyes. “KAGOME!” He slumped down to his knees in the well, not even trying to hold back his tears any longer. He had held them in for too long, and he was letting them out finally. Sesshomaru looked down at him, feeling tears well up in his eyes as well. He held them back. He hadn't been quick enough to tell Kagome how he felt.
Just then, Sango realized something and gasped.
“Everyone, the Sacred Jewel! Kagome took it with her!” she announced.
“So…?” asked Shippo.
“SO as long as she has it, she can still be connected to us. It hasn't been destroyed yet,” replied Sango.
“I don't know, Sango… That doesn't mean anything. Just because she has the Sacred Jewel with her doesn't mean we'll ever see her again…” said Miroku. Inuyasha heard what Sango said, but he didn't believe it. What's she talking about? Kagome's never coming back, he thought. He jumped out of the well and walked back to Kaede's village. Everyone except Sesshomaru, Jaken, Ah-Un, and Rin solemnly followed him. Sesshomaru took one last glance at the well and whispered, “I love you, Kagome…” into the wind. Then he set off back to his home in the west.
Kagome climbed out of the well on her family's shrine and took off her backpack. Not wanting her family to see her torn and bloodstained clothes, she got an extra pair out of her backpack, slipping the ruined ones off and putting the clean ones on. She then stepped out of the small building, closing the door behind her for the last time. She sulked to her house, tears streaming down her cheeks and sorrow weighing her down. I'll never see them again, she thought. When she walked into her house, her family greeted her warmly.
“Welcome home, Kagome,” said her mother happily. Kagome merely sighed and made her way to her room. A concerned expression replaced Kagome's mother's cheerful one when she saw the tears on Kagome's cheeks.
“What's wrong, dear?” she asked.
“Why are you so upset?” added Kagome's brother Sota.
“Nothing… nothing at all…” muttered Kagome, walking into her room and closing the door. Kagome's family exchanged worried glances.
“I wonder what's wrong with Kagome?” wondered Sota.
Kagome threw her backpack onto the floor and fell onto her bed, burying her face in the pillow, sobbing uncontrollably. No matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't stop the tears from flowing. She already missed all of her friends from the Feudal era. The ones she missed the most were Inuyasha and Sesshomaru.
She heard someone knocking on her door. She lifted her head and wiped her tears away.
“Come in…” she called. Her mother opened the door and stepped inside. She walked over to Kagome's bed and sat on the edge.
“Kagome, what's the matter?” she asked. Tears streamed from Kagome's eyes and she buried her face in her pillow again.
“I can never g-go back t-to the Feudal era… I'll n-never see them again!” sobbed Kagome. Her mother sighed and stroked Kagome's hair.
“Why won't you see the others ever again?” she asked gently.
“Well, my job while I was over there was to gather all the shards of the Sacred Jewel and restore it to its original form… Also to kill an evil demon named Naraku… I accomplished both tasks today…” explained Kagome. Kagome's mother nodded understandingly.
“I miss Inuyasha and Sesshomaru so much, Mom…” Kagome's mom smiled.
“Why do you miss them the most?” she asked curiously. Kagome's face flushed.
“Well, I… uh… I just owe them a lot, that's all. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to kill Naraku,” she lied. Kagome's mom giggled and said, “You like them don't you?” Kagome sighed and nodded.
“I like Inuyasha… But my feelings for Sesshomaru are, well… different…” The smile didn't leave her mother's face.
“Different?” she repeated.
“Yes,” said Kagome. “I don't just like him… I think I… I…” Kagome's mother's eyes brightened and she finished, “Love him?” Kagome's cheeks turned an even brighter shade of pink. Finally, she nodded slightly.
“Yeah… I love him… But I don't think he feels the same way about me, Mom. Besides, we could never be together anyway. I mean, come on Mom, he's gotta be at least 500 years old! A fifteen-year-old and a 500-year-old aren't a good combination…” she mumbled.
“So? When I was dating your father, he was older than me,” stated Kagome's mother.
“Mom, Dad wasn't 500-years-old when you fell in love with him…” acknowledged Kagome. Her mother laughed and agreed, “That's true. But if you think about it, he looks around 18, which is probably his age in demon years. Sesshomaru may be older than you, but he's still a nice person. Don't let his age get in your way,” Kagome smiled slightly.
“You're right… But it's too late now… There's no way back into that dimension. Now that the Sacred Jewel is restored to its original form, I cannot return…” she stated simply, more tears streaming slowly down her cheeks. Kagome's mother put her hand on Kagome's shoulder.
“Sweetie…”
“Just go, please… I want to be alone…” muttered Kagome, lying down on her stomach on her bed, resting her cheek on the pillow. Kagome's mother nodded, stroked Kagome's hair, and walked out of the room, closing the bedroom door. Miserable and lonely, Kagome cried herself to sleep.