InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Forgotten Memories From Beyond the Grave ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru woke when he kept feeling hands pressing lightly on his chest. He opened his eyes a little bit and looked up. Rin was over him, a worried expression on her face. Sesshomaru blinked his eyes, focusing them. Rin smiled when Sesshomaru opened his eyes.
“I'm so glad you're alright, my Lord!” she cried happily. This puzzled Sesshomaru and he sat up, saying, “Yes, I'm alright. Why wouldn't I be?”
“You've been asleep for a whole day, Lord Sesshomaru! You didn't move an inch since you went to sleep the night Kagome left and I was getting really worried about you,” explained Rin. She got off of Sesshomaru so he could sit up. Sesshomaru pulled himself upright, running his right hand through his long, fluffy bangs and let out a small sigh.
“All day I was asleep, was I?” Rin nodded.
“Uh-huh. It's nighttime now,” she said. Sesshomaru chuckled.
“Believe me when I say I've slept longer,” he revealed truthfully. Rin gasped.
“You've slept LONGER?!” she exclaimed. Sesshomaru nodded.
“It was a long time ago. When I was still inside my mother's womb,” he divulged amusingly. Rin laughed.
“In that case, I've slept longer than a day as well,” she said. Sesshomaru smiled and got off of the bed, standing up and walking to the door, exiting the room. Rin ran after him, calling out, “Wait for me!” Sesshomaru peered over his shoulder at Rin a troubled look in his eyes.
“Rin, stay here with Jaken,” he ordered. “I'm going to go for a walk.” With that, he made his way down the hall and descended the stairs.
Jaken, who was in the main hall of the castle, saw Sesshomaru heading for the door and questioned in his vexatious but normal voice, “Where are you going, my Lord?” Sesshomaru did not answer and left the castle, leaving Jaken behind with Rin and the other servants.
Sesshomaru had a lot on his mind that night and preferred to be alone. He missed Kagome dearly, and he was finding the new emotion a little painful. He had told her that he would miss her, but didn't think missing someone would hurt him so much inside. He had never missed anyone, not even his father when he died. And yet he was missing a human woman whom he had only recently began communicating with. But the more he thought about his heartbreaking new emotion, the more his mind wandered to Kagome and all of the things the two of them had been through. For one thing, he had rescued her from the bat demon on the first day they met each other. Second, he blocked Kikyo's arrow from hitting her. Third, he saved her from Kagura. Fourth, he revived her with his Tenseiga after Naraku killed her. And last but not least, he assisted Kagome in destroying Naraku for good. The answer was clear to him; he was madly in love with Kagome.
Sesshomaru shook his head, trying to get Kagome out of his mind. But it was no use. The girl haunted every corner of his mind and he could not get her out. He smiled when he remembered what had occurred between the two of them before Kagome went into the well:
“Sesshomaru… I'll miss you…” whispered Kagome. Sesshomaru smiled slightly and wiped her tears away with his hand.
“I'll miss you too, Kagome… Promise me that you'll never forget…” Kagome smiled a bit and nodded.
“I promise… But I have something to tell you before I go…” Sesshomaru gazed deep into Kagome's eyes.
“What is it?” Kagome took a deep breath and leaned up, capturing Sesshomaru's lips in a passionate kiss. Sesshomaru was a bit surprised, but he eagerly returned the favor, wrapping his arms around Kagome. Many minutes passed, then Kagome broke the kiss.
“What I wanted to say is that I… I love you, Sesshomaru…” she said shyly. Sesshomaru's eyes widened a bit. But before he could reply, Kagome had jumped into the well.
Sesshomaru felt his whole body get comfortably hot at the memory of Kagome telling him that she loved him. If he had been a bit faster, he would've had time to tell Kagome about his strong feelings towards her. But he hadn't gotten the chance and he was feeling at a loss.
Fifteen minutes later, he arrived at his destination: a clearing with a small hot spring in the center. As soon as he set foot in the clearing, forgotten memories began flying into his mind. Sesshomaru looked around, stepping across the soft, wet grass, his hair rippling behind him in the tender breeze.
“It has been so long since I was last here...” he said to himself.
He saw visions of himself as a young child no more than twelve-years-old with a beautiful woman. The woman had long silver hair that reached her ankles and amber eyes. She wore dark blue eye shadow and had one purple stripe marking on either side of her fair-skinned face, a blue starburst mark on her forehead. Her long royal-blue kimono covered her legs and feet even while she was sitting and it was adorned in patterns of cherry blossoms and other flowers. At her waist, she had a sword fastened at her sash. Other than her stern expression she was very beautiful. She had claws, pointed ears and fangs, which revealed that she was, in fact, a demon. Sesshomaru recognized her as his mother. He watched his mother run her hands through his younger self's hair affectionately. Then, she spoke.
“Inu no Taisho, Sesshomaru will be a fine warrior when he is fully grown,” she said. Sesshomaru's eyes widened when he heard the name `Inu no Taisho'; it was his father's name.
“He will, indeed,” agreed a very masculine voice.
“Father…” whispered Sesshomaru. He looked to his left and saw his father seated in front of a tree and leaning on the trunk. Inu no Taisho was the most powerful demon in the west while he was alive. He had long silver hair that reached his waist when it was worn in a ponytail high on the back of his head and reached his knees when it was down. His usual clothing consisted of a long fur cape, a white kimono and armor which looked very similar to Sesshomaru's. Sesshomaru couldn't believe his eyes. He walked over to his father slowly, standing beside him and reaching out to touch his shoulder. But as soon as his hand touched Inu no Taisho's shoulder, the images of his family and himself from so many years ago vanished into thin air, leaving him all alone.
Sesshomaru tried to grasp what he had just seen. He smiled at what he heard his mother and father say about him. He looked up at what little patch of sky was visible through the leaves.
“I will be a fine warrior, will I?” he questioned quietly. If someone were in the clearing with him, they would've thought he was talking to himself, but they would be sadly mistaken. Sesshomaru was not talking to himself, but his father. As he stood in the clearing, he sensed that his father's spirit still resided there and believed it was his father who had brought him the vision. He and his father had not gotten along as well as they should have, but Sesshomaru still respected him. Sesshomaru had remembered when he had tried to remove the Tetsusaiga from his father's tomb and walked away unsuccessfully and badly wounded by the sword that he had worked so hard to claim.
Sesshomaru wrapped his fingers around the hilt of Tetsusaiga and pulled as hard as he could. He felt pain shoot from his hand into his arm and removed his hand, looking at what had happened; the sword had burned his hand and his expression turned shocked and impressed.
“Father has done his work well. The blade is ensorcelled,” he realized, his hand returning to normal.
“Sesshomaru!” shouted a voice, which Sesshomaru recognized as Inuyasha's. Sesshomaru looked over his shoulder and saw Inuyasha leap down from one of their father's rib bones, shouting, “We're not finished yet!” Sesshomaru ran out of the way and jumped up before Inuyasha got him with his claws. Inuyasha crashed into the ground but recovered quickly, standing and looking around.
“Now where'd he go?” he asked, annoyed. He looked up when he heard something and saw Sesshomaru watching him from one of his father's ribs. Sesshomaru's expression was scorning.
“Be more respectful! It's our father's tomb,” he snarled. Inuyasha growled and looked up at him, countering with, “Look who's talking! You're the one who's here robbin' his grave! Why not respect him by leaving?!”
Sesshomaru growled at the memory of that day. It seemed so long ago, but he remembered it all too clearly. He had tried to steal the sword he thought should be rightfully his and almost paid with his life. Back then, Kagome was against him and Sesshomaru didn't care for humans any more than he would an insect. In fact, he had tried to kill her with his poison claws after she had pulled out the Tetsusaiga. But he had known for a while that the reason Kagome could pull the sword out and he and Inuyasha couldn't was because she was mortal.
Sesshomaru ran up to Kagome, staring at her. Kagome let out a small scream, holding the Tetsusaiga tightly in both hands.
“What are you, and how did you draw the sword?” questioned Sesshomaru, looking at the sword then casting a sidelong glance at Kagome. Inuyasha got to his feet angrily.
“Sesshomaru! Leave her alone, she's not involved in this!” he barked. Sesshomaru turned to look at his younger brother, an indifferent expression on his face.
“For some unknown reason, I was unable to draw Tetsusaiga. Fortunately, you were unable to draw it either. It is obvious that she must die,” he said.
Sesshomaru's eyes widened at what he had said he would do to Kagome all because she could pull out the sword and he couldn't. He couldn't believe it. But the memory continued, and it just got more troubling.
Sesshomaru looked down, eyes closed and he made a small, disapproving sound.
“Inuyasha… your patience with this creature is astonishing to me,” he said, referring to Kagome. He placed his hand just below his left ear, his fingers entwining a few strands of his hair. He glanced over at Inuyasha as he did so and said, “You protect her, indulge her… even seem to love her.” Inuyasha looked shocked at this comment. Sesshomaru ran his fingers through a few strands of his hair, flipping it outward and stepping closer to Inuyasha.
“Certainly, these feelings of mercy of yours aren't something I inherited from our great and terrible father. It must've been that mother of yours, that human mother, who caused our father to meet his end in this ignoble place. Her blood affects you as well,” he stated in somewhat of an insulting tone.
“Is it that which so endears you to them? When it comes to humans, I, of course, bear no such weakness.” It was at that moment he whipped around and sprayed Kagome with poison from his claws.
Kagome screamed and held Tetsusaiga in front of her. “Inuyasha!” In moments, she was covered with melted bone from Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's father.
“Kagome!” shouted Inuyasha worriedly. Sesshomaru lowered his hand, saying, “So fragile… wouldn't you agree, little brother?”
Sesshomaru shook his head, eyes closed, trying to escape from the horrible memory. He managed to shake it off and opened his eyes, a drop of cold sweat rolling down his cheek.
“I almost killed her…” he said to himself doubtfully. But it was the truth, and he knew it. He sat beside the tree he had seen his father sitting at those many years ago (and in the vision he had recently seen), trying to remember how Kagome had survived his toxic poison. Then it hit him; when he had sprayed Kagome with poison, she was still holding Tetsusaiga. The sword was forged to protect humans and defended her from the poison. If she had not been holding it at the time, she most certainly would've perished. More painful than the thought of what he did to her, however, was what he had called her: a creature. He had called her a creature, and he said it as though she was nothing more than a wild animal, something unfit to look at. Then, without warning and to Sesshomaru's despair, some more of the memory unfolded.
Inuyasha lunged at Sesshomaru, scratching him across the armor plate he had across his chest. Sesshomaru, shocked, leaped away.
“That was for mother!” screamed Inuyasha, hurling himself at Sesshomaru again. “And this, this is for Kagome!” he growled, scratching Sesshomaru again across the chestplate. Sesshomaru was puzzled. A moment ago, Inuyasha couldn't even touch him, but now he was scratching at his armor. Sesshomaru landed lightly on the ground, looking down at his armor. The spiked part that protected his chest and looped around his shoulder to the back cracked and broke off. Sesshomaru looked up at Inuyasha, an amused expression on his face.
“All that for a memory and a dead mortal girl? If I had known that's what it took to make you fight, I'd have killed her sooner,” he remarked casually.
The last thing he said in the memory literally made Sesshomaru believe he had no heart back then. “Father, please, stop! I have seen enough…” Sure enough, the memory stopped unravelling right after Sesshomaru pleaded his father's spirit not to show him any more of it.
“I didn't say that… I didn't say that…” Sesshomaru muttered to himself, closing his eyes and trying to convince himself that what he was seeing in his mind never happened.