InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ A Chance to Fly ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 18: A Chance to Fly


"Oi, Sango, let go."

The growled order was accompanied by a strong hand taking hold of Kagome's wrist.

"Inuyasha--"

"Let go," the hanyou insisted.

Sango, who had been assisting Kagome in his place as they left Tamaeri's hut, removed her hand from Kagome's elbow and took a step back.

As soon as she had moved away, Inuyasha swept one arm around Kagome's back and the other under her knees, picking her up.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome squeaked at the unexpected move, throwing her own arms around his neck to steady herself.

Sango frowned at the half dog demon. "What are you--"

Again, she was cut off. "We're going to have a little talk," Inuyasha muttered, eyeing the trees around them. "Hold on," he told Kagome, allowing her to secure her hold before leaping over the railing onto the closest branch.

"But, Inuyasha, I thought you said..." She trailed off as the hanyou continued on without a backward glance.

"Hmm. Maybe I should try that maneuver sometime," Miroku said in her ear, his arm sneaking around her back, his hand sliding lower than it needed to be.

"Pervert!" The demon exterminator rounded on him with a resounding slap to his cheek. "Keep your hands to yourself!" she yelled before nearly stomping off in the direction of the hut they'd been given to rest in.

Shippo, who was sitting on Miroku's shoulder, just shook his head. "You should try a little harder, Miroku. You haven't been getting enough of those lately."

"Well, it worked for Inuyasha," the monk responded with a shrug as he watched Sango walk away from them.

"You're hopeless," the kitsune sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Sango, watch--," Miroku called out, stretching a hand out as if to stop the collision he could see was about to happen. The demon exterminator had been watching the ground in her anger, not what was in front of her. She looked up at his words, but it was already too late. "...Out." The monk winced as she collided with the back of the windwalker who stood in her path.

Sango's hands instinctively went up to clutch at whatever it was that she had run into. She immediately let go when she realized the softness tickling her fingers was the pale feathers adorning the wings of a rather tall demon.

"I'm so s-sorry," she stuttered as the windwalker turned around in surprise. Clutching her hands to her chest, she looked up, only to meet a pair of the deepest blue eyes she'd ever seen.

"Are you all right?" he asked, reaching a hand to her shoulder to steady her. When she didn't respond right away, a small concerned frown appeared on his features.

"F-f-fine." Her voice was stuck in her throat, and the only thing she could do was stare at the very handsome face before her. The windwalker had long golden hair to go with his tanned skin and blue eyes.

"What, do I have feathers sticking out of my ears?" he asked after a moment, the corners of his lips twitching upwards.

Sango blinked, then let out an embarrassed giggle and looked down at the ground to hide the flush on her cheeks. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to stare." She bit her lip, looking at the ground past the demon's feet to judge whether there was enough space for her to pass by or not.

"That's quite all right," he reassured her. "Now it is my turn to be sorry, for it seems I am blocking your way. Please excuse me." The windwalker shifted to the side and held out an arm to indicate she should move beyond him.

"Th-thank you," she muttered, intent on hurrying on her way. She'd taken only a few steps when the front edge of her sandal caught on one of the planks that made up the walkway. She cried out as she flew forward, holding her hands out to stop her fall.

She never hit the ground. Opening her eyes, which she'd squeezed shut as she tripped, she looked down at the pair of strong arms that circled her waist. She was set on her feet and turned around, the windwalker's blue gaze travelling down to her toes as his hands rested on her upper arms.

"Are you hurt?" he asked, concern once more lacing his tone.

"No, no. I'm fine," she rushed out, wanting to get away even faster to save herself further embarrassment.

"You could have a splinter," the winged demon told her, letting go of her arms and bending down. "Hold on to the railing," he murmured before lifting her foot.

Sango resisted the urge to giggle at his gentle prodding of her toes. Her eyes widened when he gently pressed his lips where his fingers had been, then stood and gave her a brilliant smile.

"An old remedy we healers are taught from the start. Usually it only works on children, however," he added wryly.

The demon exterminator bit her lip, giving in to the urge to return the smile.

"I am Nikorai. I am sorry I did not introduce myself sooner," the windwalker added with a bow.

"Um, my name is Sango. It's, um, nice to meet you, Nikorai."

"The pleasure is mine, I assure you."

"Nikorai, is that you out there? I thought you were bringing that ointment!"

The shrill voice from inside the hut behind them nearly made Sango laugh. She covered her mouth with her hand to stop the few giggles that managed to escape.

"Duty calls," the windwalker sighed. "Would you like a tour of our village? I could show you around, if you do not mind waiting for just a few moments," he informed her, giving her another smile.

She shook her head in response, giggling when the voice came again.

Nikorai bowed once more, sending her a wink before he turned to enter the hut.

Sango watched him until he moved out of sight, giving a little sigh of appreciation before turning away to head for the group's hut.

Miroku, who had watched the entire exchange, followed Sango with narrowed eyes.

"Gee, she certainly seems to like him," Shippo commented from his shoulder.

The monk said nothing, but his fingers tightened on his staff as he stepped quickly along the walkway. By the time he reached Sango, his expression was carefully set in his usual calm mask. The clinking of the rings on his staff heralded his arrival. The demon exterminator turned away, hoping he would move inside, and not bother her.

"Making new friends, I see," Miroku said, leaning against the railing that led to the hut's doorway opposite Sango. Shippo had hopped off when he was halfway to the dwelling, claiming he wanted to watch something going on farther below.

"And that's a crime?" she retorted.

"No."

"Then why mention it?"

"I am merely looking out for your best interests. And they do not include being friendly with a male demon who has designs on you."

"And who's to say he has 'designs on me' as you put it?"

"I am a man. I recognize such things."

Sango rolled her eyes. "I think I can handle anything he might try. As you mentioned, he is a demon, and my specialty is demon slaying. And I think my reflexes are pretty good from having to fight you off."

"That's different."

"How so?"

Miroku looked down at his feet, then up at the trees. Sango watched him fidget, wondering what it was he wanted to say.

"Because I..."

She bit her lip, her heart rate picking up. Was he possibly going to--

He looked at her, giving a small sigh. "Because I am a monk. And your friend. He is a stranger, someone you met only a few moments ago."

Sango's shoulders slumped slightly in disappointment and she gave a short laugh. "As my _friend_, you should respect my choices. For once I would like to spend time with a man, even if he is a demon, who doesn't try to grope me every chance he gets!"

"Sango--"

She shook her head, not wanting to listen any longer. Stiffly, she pushed away from the railing and took a few steps forward. "I can do what I please. If you're not happy with that, then you can just deal with it."

Miroku watched her go, his mask slipping, revealing the hurt in his violet eyes.

"Shippo? What are you doing out here?" Sango brushed a strand of hair behind her ear as she moved to the walkway railing on which the little kitsune was sitting.

Shippo turned to look at the demon exterminator as she rested her arms on the wood and gazed out at the sunlight peeking through the branches and leaves of the many trees surrounding them. "Just watching them," he replied, pointing to a spot a bit below them. Several of the young windwalkers were cavorting about in the air, tossing around what looked like some sort of crudely fashioned ball. Their yells and laughter drifted up to the two onlookers.

"That looks like it would be fun, doesn't it," Sango mused with a small smile as she watched the winged demons at play.

Shippo nodded. He rested his elbows on his legs and set his chin in his hands. "I wonder what it's like to fly?"

"I think the closest you and I will ever get is riding Kirara," the demon exterminator chuckled.

"I could show you."

Sango and Shippo turned almost simultaneously to look behind them, eyes widened in surprise. Maruku stood there, dark wings folded loosely against his back. The windwalker had been on patrol duty for the day, so the group decided to wait until the next morning to leave, to give him time to rest.

"Oh no, that's all right."

"Would you, please?"

The kitsune and demon exterminator spoke at the same time, their words running together.

Maruku laughed and grinned at them. "Are you sure?" he teased Sango.

"Quite sure. But thank you anyway. I'm sure Shippo will enjoy it much more than I would."

"Okay, then," the windwalker shrugged and picked Shippo up off the railing. He placed the kitsune on his shoulders. "Now, slide down a bit, and hang on."

With a leap reminiscent of Inuyasha's, Maruku hopped to the top of the railing, then on to some of the branches further out. He chose a fairly open spot, then seemed to fall forward. Shippo squealed, the sound turning into laughter as the demon's wings opened and caught the air.

Sango grinned at the pair as they glided down towards where the young windwalkers were still playing their game.

"Would you like to watch from a bit closer?"

The demon exterminator spun around once more, one hand pressed to her chest.

"I am sorry for frightening you." Nikorai flashed her another of his toothy smiles.

"It's all right," she murmured, drawn by the color of his eyes as she had been before.

"I know a spot down there that is a much better vantage point than sitting up here."

"Oh."

He laughed at her response. "Would you like to join me?"

"I--"

"I can explain the game to you."

"Oh, no, I--"

"Please?"

She bit her lip, trying to resist the pleading in his eyes. She started to shake her head, but found he'd taken her hand before she could say anything more to refuse.

Nikorai stepped up to the railing, then pulled her around behind him.

"We have to fly....?" she asked as he stretched his wings out to allow her room on his back.

"Of course. Now, put your hands on my shoulders... Good."

Sango blushed as she found his hands drawing her legs around his waist just as Inuyasha did to carry Kagome on his back. She was thankful he couldn't see it. And hopefully, neither could anyone else.

"Hold on."

The demon exterminator cried out and clutched his neck tighter as he leapt onto the railing just as Maruku had done a few moments before.

Nikorai chuckled in response, jumping to another branch. "Is this so bad?"

Sango wasn't used to being carried on anything smaller than Kirara in her transformed state. She definitely was not sure if she felt quite safe enough with just her arms and his holding her up.

"Ready?"

"No!" The cry was lost in the wind as he again mirrored Maruku's actions and fell forward, the rushing sensation easing as his wide wings fully unfurled. Maybe flying wasn't so bad after all.

Miroku, who had entered the hut to meditate when Sango left him earlier, was startled by the cry. He stood and walked to the doorway, just in time to see the tips of Nikorai's wings before they disappeared. The monk slowly shuffled to the railing where Sango and the windwalker had stood moments before, the rings on his staff jingling with each step. His gaze followed the two until they disappeared through the canopy of branches below, his serene expression betraying none of his inner thoughts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>

Inuyasha easily found the clearing they had been in the night before, moving through the trees around to the other side and slightly beyond. They were close enough to the village to get back to it quickly, yet far enough away that they would have some privacy.

He leapt from the last branch he'd landed on, down onto the ground, Kagome still safely held in his arms. As soon as he'd straightened, he swung her feet down, waiting until she could stand before letting her go and stepping away. He studied her for a moment, golden eyes narrowed and arms folded across his chest.

Kagome had been waiting for the explosion to arrive as soon as he placed her feet on the ground. A frown crossed her face when it didn't come. She heard nothing but the faint chirp of birds and the rustling of leaves high up in the trees. "Inu... yasha?" she called tentatively, wishing he'd stayed close by so she would know he was at least still there with her.

"Why the hell didn't you tell me they were telepathic?" he growled, his voice not quite pitched at a yell, but fairly close.

"I-- I just-- I didn't think it was necessary--"

"Not necessary?!" he asked incredulously.

Kagome raised her voice and continued on as Inuyasha sputtered incoherently. "Please, Inuyasha--"

"How the hell is knowing something like that not necessary?"

"Inuyasha, just listen. I thought about telling you--"

"And you _didn't_?" His voice was getting louder with each word he said.

Kagome fisted her hands at her sides in frustration. "Just wait a minute! I was going to tell you, but I didn't, because you were already trying to find an excuse to leave." She took his silence as a sign to continue. She took a deep breath, wishing she could see his reaction. "I didn't want to end up just leaving the windwalkers when there might be something they really needed our help with, which we now know they do. I didn't want you to go straight for Lady Tamaeri, either. Couldn't you hear the pain in her voice? Even just as we met her, before this morning when she told us what she needs us for. She was trying so hard to hide it, because she's their leader; she has to stay strong. But it was there. Couldn't you hear it in Marieko's voice, when she spoke of her uncle, the missing Morihiko?"

Inuyasha said nothing in response to her words.

"I... I just wanted to help them, Inuyasha. I didn't think--"

"No, you didn't think," he finally spoke, in a voice much quieter than it had been.

She bit her lip, waiting to see if he would say more.

"You didn't think it would matter, because you didn't think there could be any possible way they might be deceiving us."

"I... No. That never occurred to me," she admitted.

"Keh," he snorted. "That's just like you, assuming things are good until they prove otherwise."

A small smile raised the corners of her mouth. "Well, I did that with you." She ducked her head folding her hands nervously behind her back. "And you haven't proven otherwise."

"Keh. How many times do I have to tell you humans--"

"I know, I know. All demons are bad. No matter what." Kagome rocked back on her heels, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"How did you figure it out?"

"Figure what out? That that's what you keep telling me?" she teased.

"No," he grumbled, apparently not appreciating her trying to lighten the mood just yet.

"Just from Marieko."

"But how? Did she tell you?"

The girl shook her head. "No. It was when she told us her father said Lady Tamaeri was waiting for us. And I asked you if Maruku had come back, or if any birds had flown by."

"How did you remember all that?" he asked in astonishment. He hadn't noticed anything odd about what the windwalker said at the time, though he had been paying more attention to watching out for signs of a trap.

"I... I've just had to pay more attention."

Inuyasha grunted in response.

"I really was going to tell you, eventually," she told him, the last word added almost as an afterthought.

She heard him sigh, then a slight shuffle on the ground. She could feel that he had moved closer, but his voice was aimed away from her. "Kagome... how can I protect you, when you don't tell me things like that, that I need to know?"

"I'm sorry."

Kagome didn't know what else to say. She reached out a hand when the silence dragged on, her fingers encountering the billowy sleeve of his robe and sliding down until she found skin. She took hold of his hand, waiting for him to either grasp her fingers or ask her to let go.

Inuyasha looked down in surprise, eyeing their hands for a moment before wrapping his fingers around hers and studying the effect. Definitely better, he thought with a smirk.

"Can we... walk back?"

The hanyou looked up, eyebrows raised at such an odd question.

As if she could see his expression, she rushed out, "I just don't want to hurry back. If you don't want to, we don't have to." She turned her face away to hide her disappointment. "It was just a thought."

"Come on," Inuyasha murmured, taking a step forward and pulling on her hand.

A bright smile lit her features as she moved to follow his lead back to the windwalker village.