InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Another Perspective ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 20: Another Perspective


"Be careful, father." Marieko had followed Maruku to the group's early morning meeting, wanting to wish them well on their journey to rescue Morihiko.

The windwalker nodded in response to his daughter's entreaty.

"The rest of you, as well. I'm confident you will bring my uncle back home where he belongs."

"Thank you, Lady Marieko. We will do our best," Miroku responded with a small bow. His usual charming grin was absent in respect for the mission they were about to undertake.

The sun was just beginning to brighten the sky, though not much light could be seen through the leaves that surrounded the demon village. The group was waiting on the walkway next to the lift that brought them up when they first arrived. Tamaeri was to meet them one last time before they set off, with any last-minute instructions or news.

It had been a restless night for them all, with the exception of Shippo. The kitsune, as usual, had almost a full night's sleep. The others, however, had quite a bit less, but a lot more weighing on their minds.

Sango had not only been troubled by thoughts of what could lay ahead, but by possible answers to the questions Kagome had asked. Some part of her had also recognized that Miroku did not return, though she tried to push such thoughts away.

The monk had spent the better part of the night sitting near Lady Tamaeri's hut, trying to clear his mind. After most of his attempts failed, he returned to where the others were resting, though chose to remain outside, leaning against the small dwelling's wall and dozing as best he could.

Kagome's mind had raced from Sango and Miroku, to various scenarios of their rescuing the windwalker leader's mate, to contemplating how she would be able to help in such a task with the loss of her sight, and back again. Her thoughts had chased themselves in circles until she finally fell asleep a couple of hours before they were to awaken.

Inuyasha, with his usual arrogant assuredness of their ability to handle any demon that possessed Shikon shards, watched Kagome toss and turn. His own thoughts unknowingly paralleled some of the girl's. He would rather she stayed in the winged youkai village until they returned, but her ability to sense the jewel made her a valuable asset, even without her sight. He would definitely need to keep all his senses alert in order to keep her safe.

Now that morning was upon them, their thoughts were focused on the rescue mission, all personal feelings put aside.

"Leaving so soon?"

Sango looked up from fiddling with Hiraikotsu's strap at the familiar voice. She was standing the furthest away from the lift, which gave Nikorai an easy path to her. She blushed and looked back down at the wooden planking. "Yes. We... we have to go this morning," she replied, unsure of how much to tell the windwalker. "But we'll be back."

"You are to help bring Morihiko back home," he stated, the laughter in his eyes the day before replaced by a serious expression. "I understand."

Sango blinked at him in surprise before nodding. Surely it shouldn't be surprising that others knew why the group of travelers had been welcomed into the village.

"Here, I brought you a gift," Nikorai continued, holding out a small parcel in one hand. "It is not much, but something that may help along the way. Willow bark, to ease pain." He flashed her a small smile. "Possibly to rid yourself of one of those headaches you complained of yesterday."

Sango smiled at him gratefully, taking the bundle. "Thank you. I'm sure it will be put to good use."

"Visiting your patients this early, Nikorai?"

The winged demon turned, drawing Sango's attention to Lady Tamaeri, who stood behind him. Nikorai bowed, responding, "A few, my lady. I also wished to bestow a small gift on our guests that may aid in their journey."

Tamaeri arched an eyebrow in faint amusement, her arms folded across her chest. "Please continue, then."

"I was actually just about to say good-bye, my lady," he informed his leader before turning to the rest of the group. "I wish you good luck on your journey, and safe traveling." He didn't wait for anyone to acknowledge his send-off, but took Sango's hand.

The others, of course, were now watching the two.

"I do hope you will permit me to see you again once you return," he told the demon exterminator, holding her fingers gently with both of his hands.

"I..." Sango had no idea what to say to such a request. She was still confused as to how she felt about the windwalker, and the situation between herself and Miroku. It could not hurt to say yes, though, could it? If she came to some conclusions before they again arrived at the village, she would at least be able to tell him of her thoughts.

Before she could give herself a chance to rethink her decision, she nodded, returning the smile he gave her.

"Until then," Nikorai murmured, bending his head and placing a kiss to the top of her hand. He squeezed her fingers before stepping away. Wordlessly, the windwalker bowed again to Lady Tamaeri, then quietly strode away.

Miroku watched the exchange out of the corner of his eye, carefully keeping his expression neutral. He could not hear what was said from his vantage point near the lift's gate, though he took in the windwalker's movements, as well as Sango's flushed cheeks and shy smile. With an inaudible sigh, he absently turned his gaze to what little of the sky could be seen through the leaves above.

Marieko quickly hugged her father before following in Nikorai's wake, giving a bow of respect to Tamaeri as she passed.

The windwalker moved closer to the group, after watching her niece disappear around a corner in the path and clearing her throat. She shifted her shoulders, pale wings resettling with the movement. "I appreciate your willingness to help us," she began, the solemn tones of her voice laced with gratitude. "This is no easy task, though I believe that you will be able to succeed. Maruku will guide you, as he now knows where Ataru's stronghold lies. Do not hesitate to send for others if you believe it is necessary. There are many here who would welcome the chance to aid you in rescuing my mate, especially those who lost family to Ataru's attacks."

"Your confidence is well placed, Lady Tamaeri," Miroku responded. "We will do our best."

The windwalker nodded. "I will wait for a message from you, Maruku. Please alert me of any changes in the situation."

"Yes, my lady." As if her words were a dismissal, the demon opened the lift's gate and waited for the others to step aboard the platform.

"May the wind guide you on your journey," Tamaeri called as they filed onto the lift.

The others were silent as they settled, Maruku taking his place just inside the gate. He lifted a hand to signal to the youkai manning the ropes that they were ready to depart.

Lady Tamaeri stepped forward just as the platform began to descend. "Please bring him back to me," she murmured, so quietly that none of them should've heard. Inuyasha did, however, the desperation in the windwalker's voice drawing his gaze towards her. The hanyou nodded once before disappearing from her sight beneath the walkway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ; ;

"Miroku, could you help me down, please?" Kagome requested after feeling Kirara's feet touch the ground. For the better part of the morning, they had been travelling by way of the air, if you could count Inuyasha's leaping as flying. Shippo was treated to another ride with Maruku, while Kirara had born Kagome, as well as Sango and Miroku. They were continuing on foot to give the two-tailed cat time for some much-deserved rest.

"Certainly, Kagome," the monk replied from where he stood next to Kirara's side. His voice conveyed most of his usual cheerfulness, but Kagome picked up on the tiredness beneath it. He took her hands and assisted her to the ground, letting go to reach for his staff once her feet were securely planted on the dirt.

Inuyasha, sniffing the air experimentally, strode towards the pair. "Oi, Kagome, come on," he muttered, reaching for her arm to guide her along as he had been doing for the past few days.

The girl gently removed his hand before he could tug her forward. "No, I'm going to walk with Miroku for now." Before the hanyou could protest, she held up a hand and continued. "You need to be up front with Maruku, watching for anything. You can't move as quickly with me, and I would only be in the way if we run into any other demons."

Inuyasha clenched his jaw, unable to find fault with her logic. "Fine," he growled, glaring pointedly at Miroku before stalking towards where their windwalker guide stood.

"I do believe Inuyasha wanted to walk with you," Miroku commented.

Kagome blushed and turned her face away, a smile on her lips.

"Shall we get going?"

"Of course. Where's Shippo?" Kagome asked, stretching a hand out for the monk's arm.

"With Sango and Kirara, in front of us," Miroku responded, crooking his elbow as he had seen Inuyasha do before.

Inuyasha and Maruku waited for the others to start moving before taking the lead.

Kagome was, as she had done with Sango, trying to figure out how to bring up the events of the day before. Miroku was much better at hiding what he truly felt, never giving anything away unless he wished to. How was she supposed to get anything out of him?

"Is there something wrong?"

The question startled her. "No, I... Not really. I was just thinking."

They continued on for a few steps before Miroku spoke again. "Is it something I could help you with?"

Could she use that as an opening? It was worth a try. "Well... Since I couldn't see anything, I might be reading things wrong," she started, phrasing her words so the monk would hopefully not guess where she was going with the comment. "But it seemed to me like that windwalker was showing a lot of interest in Sango this morning."

She felt his arm tense slightly, but he remained silent.

"I mean, he said he was wanting to see all of us off, but he mostly spoke to her. And that... that bark or whatever, that he said was a gift, was pretty much for her, too." Maybe playing the gossipy female would work?

"I could not hear what was said from where I stood."

She sensed the statement was meant to end the discussion, but refused to take the bait.

"I wonder why he said she had a headache yesterday?" she pretended to muse aloud. "Did you know she met him yesterday?"

Miroku nodded before remembering such gestures were currently lost on the girl walking at his side. "Yes, I did."

His voice was carefully noncommittal, though the muscles in his arm were flexing as he fought to relax.

"Oh. Did you meet him, too?"

"No."

"Do you know how they met, then?"

"She ran into him."

The monk was beginning to sound as if he was grudgingly answering the questions of a curious child. Kagome resisted the urge to smile at the thought. Maybe she was getting through to him after all.

"Ran into him? Like, just passed by, or--"

"Sango was not looking where she was going, and was walking quickly. I called out to her, to warn her that someone was in her way, but was too late." Miroku sighed faintly, the sound reaching her ears merely because she was listening for any telling gestures he might make. "I am surprised Sango did not tell you of this herself."

Kagome bit her lip, wondering if she was pushing to hard. She did not want him to be angry with her, but she had yet to get any of his own thoughts on the matter from him.

"Miroku..." she started a few moments later, deciding to throw her concerns out in the air, and see how he reacted.

"Yes?"

"Do you... do you think Sango truly likes him?"

His answer was a long time in coming. And when it did, it frustrated her to no end.

"She is free to like who she chooses."

"Don't you care at all?" Kagome wanted to yell at him, but doing so would attract the attention of the others, which was something she didn't want.

"Whatever my feelings, Sango is still free to make her own choices," Miroku told her quietly. "Whether I care or not makes no difference." He paused once more, surprising her when he went on. "I did try to warn her the demon may not have pure intentions. As her friend it is my duty to inform her of such situations. I do not want to see her hurt."

Kagome stayed silent, unsure of what to say.

"I want her to be happy. I am not certain, with her past, that a demon could possibly fulfill her dreams. But if she believes he can do so, then far be it from me to stop her from pursuing that happiness."

"She only met him yesterday!" Kagome burst out. "How do you think she could know if he would make her happy?"

The monk continued, almost as if he had not heard her. His tone was much quieter, with a small hint of bitterness creeping through. "Better a demon with nearly human traits than a cursed man that can promise her nothing."

"Miroku..." She could feel him clenching the hand that held the air void, as well as hear the sealing prayer beads clinking together. "But..."

He sighed and rolled his shoulders. "I am content to be her friend, Kagome. I would rather spend whatever time I have with her in that way, than cause her pain later with my absence. Trust me, it is better this way."

Kagome reached her free hand behind her neck to massage the muscles there. After last night, and today, she was going to be the one in need of that remedy Nikorai had given to Sango. She had just one more question. "What if... what if she wanted you to be more than a friend?"

"It is not wise to pursue such thoughts as things are now. Perhaps if such a time comes that we have defeated Naraku, and my curse is lifted, then maybe it would be possible..."

"What do you mean, if?" she asked when he trailed off. "We will defeat Naraku. And the air void will be gone, and Sango will have avenged her family, and... and Inuyasha will have resolved the situation with Kikyou," she insisted.

"You are right. It is always better to look on the bright side of things, than the dark."

"Of course it is!"

"And in that case, you hope Inuyasha will choose you, not Kikyou."

Kagome missed a step and nearly fell to the ground. If the monk had not quickly switched his staff to his cursed hand and caught her, she would have dragged him to the ground as well.

"I-- That wasn't fair."

"No? I would say it was quite similar to a question you asked me a moment ago."

The girl's mouth shut with a nearly audible snap.

"Now, if you do not mind, I was rather enjoying the view before I noticed you were so deep in thought."

"I'm not even going to ask," Kagome muttered, turning her face away to hide the pink coloring her cheeks.