InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Something Wicked This Way Comes ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 22: Something Wicked This Way Comes


Something was wrong. She could feel it, but not quite single out the cause of her uneasiness.

The scene before her was familiar, each detail increasing the sense of deja vu. Kikyou and Inuyasha stood not twelve feet in front of her, talking.

She tried to step closer, to hear them better, but Inuyasha's loudly spoken words froze her in place.

"You may still hate me, but I... I haven't stopped thinking about you for a single day!"

She gasped. She'd heard those words before. They were ones she'd tried hard to forget, but it was nearly impossible. The sentiment behind them haunted her every day.

She watched in horrified fascination as Kikyou moved closer to the hanyou, placing her hands against his chest and stretching up to kiss him. Inuyasha responded, wrapping his arms tightly about the undead woman.

"Why do I have to watch this?" she asked, her voice sounding strange, distorted, to her own ears. She tried to move, to run, but found she was held immobile by some unseen force. Frantically, she struggled against her invisible bonds. She knew her inability to move was connected to Kikyou, as it had been the first time she'd lived through such a scene. "I'll leave you alone, just let me go!" she cried, hoping this time, the undead priestess would listen.

But... if this was indeed like the first time, then Kikyou would--

"Inuyasha! She's going to try to drag you to hell!" she tried to warn the hanyou.

No sound came from her mouth. Her vocal chords were paralyzed along with the rest of her body.

'No, this can't be happening! Inuyasha!'

Eerie magic began to surround the two embracing in the clearing. Inuyasha's arms tightened about Kikyou as the ground they stood on started to descend.

'Inuyasha, no! Inuyasha, you can't go with her!'

As if he heard her, he looked up, giving her a mocking grin that showed his fangs. His golden eyes gleamed with an unholy light as he nuzzled his face into Kikyou's black hair.

'Inuyasha, please! What about the shards! What about our quest? What about the others? What about... me?' She felt a tear slide down her cheek as she fought Kikyou's hold on her.

She could only watch as the two were dragged further down.

Wait... watch? She was watching... she was able to see...

But... she _couldn't_ see!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>

Gasping, Kagome jerked upright in her sleeping bag. She was sweating, heart pounding, breathing erratic. Familiar blackness greeted her eyes when she opened them wide.

She dropped her head into her hands, drawing in deep gulps of air.

It was just a dream.

As real as it had felt, it was only in her mind. Something her brain had thrown together as a result of the stresses of the day.

She shivered as the cool night air seeped through her damp shirt to her skin.

"Kagome?"

Her head snapped up, ears trying to process from which direction Inuyasha's voice had come. Funny how, in her dream, his voice had not sounded distorted.

Her dream! Had she spoken in her sleep? Had he heard anything?

"You all right?"

She felt his weight settle beside her.

"I-- I'm fine," she responded shakily. "It was just a bad dream, that's all."

Though his voice was quiet, Kagome could clearly hear the concern he usually tried to mask under his gruff tone. "Like the last one?"

The last nightmare? Of course, the night he was human, just after their fight with Shiori. She was surprised he remembered. He hated the nights his youkai blood faded, leaving him with only above-normal human strength, and none of his demon senses. Did he remember what he'd told her that night as well? That he needed her? He'd most likely deny it if she asked.

"No, no, Inuyasha. Just some mixed-up images from my time. I've been worried about my tests and all. No youkai, none of you involved." Kagome forced a weak smile, knowing he'd be watching for any sign that she was not telling the truth.

She could hear the skepticism in his tone. "Are you sure?"

"I don't always dream about things that are going on here."

"I know that."

Kagome's smile widened. "Thank you for worrying, Inuyasha."

"Keh."

"I'm going to go back to sleep now. I hope you're resting, too."

"I don't need--"

"I know. You're a youkai, not a weak human. But with what's ahead of us, I just don't want you to be too tired to handle what's thrown our way."

He snorted, shifting at her side.

Kagome settled back into her sleeping bag, turned towards him. "Good night, Inuyasha."

He didn't respond. She wondered if he'd followed her advice, and fallen asleep that quickly. Probably not.

Her suspicions were confirmed minutes later.

Inuyasha wordlessly took one of her hands in his, squeezing her fingers. The gesture went a long way towards helping her at least temporarily forget about him and Kikyou and her dream.

With a tiny contented sigh, Kagome let herself drift back towards unconsciousness.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>

"Inuyasha, is there something wrong?"

Maruku stopped beside the hanyou, scanning the surrounding trees and listening for any unusual sounds. The forest at midday was rather quiet, but a few birds and other wild animals scurried about their business in areas further away from the group's path.

They were once again giving Kirara the chance to rest, after the fire cat had carried three people for most of the morning.

Inuyasha sniffed the air, a slightly puzzled look on his face for a moment before he shook his head and began walking again.

"What is it you smell, or think you smell?"

"It's nothing," the hanyou told the windwalker with a dismissive wave of his hand.

Maruku glanced back at the others before moving along himself. None of them seemed to notice anything unusual about Inuyasha's behavior.

Several minutes later, the half dog demon stopped a second time. Eyes narrowed and ears perked, he turned to the left.

"What is it?" Maruku persisted.

Inuyasha ignored the question, focusing on his sense of smell.

"Why are we stopped?" Sango asked as she and Kagome caught up with the two youkai.

"Ask Inuyasha," Maruku replied, gesturing to the hanyou and ruffling his wings in irritation.

Kagome frowned. "Inuyasha? Is there something wrong?"

"I smell something," he replied cryptically, just before plunging through the bushes lining their path.

Maruku quickly followed suit, wondering why the hanyou was veering from their path. They had little time to spare just to check on some odd scent Inuyasha was picking up.

"What, Inuyasha?" Kagome asked, not realizing the hanyou had disappeared.

"He's gone. So is Maruku. Come on, Kagome," Sango urged, pulling the other girl by the hand as she shoved the bushes aside to climb through.

"Wait, where--"

Kagome's protest was cut off as she was yanked forward. She let go of the other girl's hand to shield her face as she tripped through the leaves and branches.

Sango turned just as Kagome barreled into her, knocking them both to the ground.

Kagome sat up quickly, having landed sprawled across the demon exterminator's legs. "Sango, are you all right? I'm sorry."

Sango pushed herself up to lean back on her hands. "I'm fine. It was my fault for pulling you so hard. Kirara? Where are you?"

The fire cat, who'd been in the her arms, mewed from beside the two girls. She'd landed on all four paws with typical feline grace.

"Something evil is moving this way," Miroku informed them as he pushed aside the plantlife and climbed through.

"What is it?" Sango asked, surveying the surrounding trees while he helped Kagome to her feet.

"I am uncertain."

Shippo sniffed the air as Inuyasha had been doing. "I don't smell anything."

"We need to move quickly, to catch up with Inuyasha and Maruku," the monk added, offering his hand to Sango. "Is Kirara rested enough?"

In response, the fire cat transformed, waiting for the three humans and Shippo to climb onto her back.

"What could it be? I don't feel any shards..." Kagome murmured, holding tightly to Sango's waist as Kirara leapt into the air.

"The demon energy is familiar," Miroku replied, eyes closing as he concentrated. "There are two. Two different energies, both ones I have felt before."

Kagome suddenly stiffened. "Inuyasha only runs off when it's..."

Sango laid a hand over one of Kagome's. "We know, Kagome."

"I am curious, though. He did not warn us to stay away this time," the monk added from behind her.

"Maybe it's not Kikyou, then?" Kagome allowed a tiny bit of hope to break through the sadness creeping over her. She and Inuyasha had been growing so much closer. She didn't want anything to intrude just yet. Especially in light of her dream the night before.

"It is too soon to say."

"Faster, Kirara!" Sango cried, seeing the red of Inuyasha's robes just ahead of them.

The demon exterminator watched as the hanyou stopped in his tracks a moment later. His actions drew her gaze to the scene playing out below. She gasped in surprise, eyes widening.

The trees had thinned on the edge of a small cliff. Two figures faced off on the clear ground, the earth around them scarred by their battle.

One, dressed in the garb of a priestess, stood panting from exertion quite close to the cliff's edge. Several lacerations on her arms and legs stained the white cloth of her robe with blood.

The other figure wore a long white pelt with a hood, and stood closer to the treeline. This one, however, appeared to be no worse for the fight.

"What is it? What do you see, Sango?" Kagome asked, feeling the other girl's rigid posture.

"Kikyou... and... Naraku..."