InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Yet Another Setback ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 9: Yet Another Setback


Kagome leaned back in the hot spring, letting the water trickle through her fingers. She and Sango were relaxing after the fight from earlier. The demon exterminator was quiet, and Kagome wondered if the other girl had fallen asleep.

Unfortunately, Kagome herself wasn't having that much luck. She kept running through what happened earlier. What was going to happen the next time they came upon a demon that wanted the shards they had? Especially if that demon had more, like the one today had? She couldn't see the shards. The only way she would be able to help find them would be if Inuyasha could easily kill, or at least temporarily hold the demon in one spot for her.

Miroku and Sango had filled her in on the details of the fight, since she hadn't been able to see what was going on. They'd told her how fast the demoness had been, enhanced by the shards. Her ability to fly only compounded the problem. Were there more like her? The other windwalkers they'd met had not attacked them, but that didn't necessarily mean they were safe from all of the winged youkai, as they'd first assumed.

'And everyone knows what happens when you assume...' she thought, giving a short laugh.

"Kagome?"

"Yes, Sango?"

"Are you ready to go back?"

Kagome could hear the water rippling, and guessed that the demon exterminator was moving towards the bank and their clothes. "I... guess so." She stood, then slowly headed in the direction she thought she'd heard Sango go, arms out in front of her and resting on the surface of the spring.

"You're a little off, Kagome. Step a bit to the right... There. Your clothes are right in front of you." Sango continued to dress as the other girl made it to the shore.

"Do you think we'll see any more demons like the one from earlier, Sango?"

"I'm sure we'll meet other windwalkers. After all, we still have yet to see... whoever it was that was supposed to come to us. I don't believe the one we met today was her."

Kagome finished pulling on her clothes in silence. "Sango... do you think I should just go back to Kaede's village?" she asked in a small voice.

"Kagome, no. Why would you think you should?"

"I'm no help to you. All I can do is sense the Shikon shards now. It was my fault in the first place that the jewel broke, and now I can't even fix it."

The demon exterminator laid a hand on the other girl's arm. "Kagome, you are the _only_ one who can find the shards. Sure, the rest of us could possibly manage to do so, but it would be only with pure luck. We would never have found all that we have without you. That skill is the most important of all of those we have as a group. We work together, and are stronger for it."

Kagome bit her lip, nodding. "Thank you, Sango," she said after a moment, with a small smile.

"What are friends for?" Sango replied with a pat to her arm. "Shall we go back now?"

"Okay."

They walked back without speaking, just listening to the quiet night, and the voices of the others as they got closer to the camp.

"Did you have to leave me alone with them for so long?" Shippo whined as soon as he saw the two girls.

Kagome didn't answer as Sango led her around the fire to her sleeping bag. She sat down, then felt around for the zipper.

"Kagome?" the kitsune asked, moving from his spot beside Miroku to the girl's side.

"I'm tired, Shippo. I'm going to sleep."

Inuyasha watched the exchange from the tree he leaned against across the fire. Something was still bothering Kagome. She was practically ignoring Shippo, _was_ ignoring the rest of them, and didn't invite the little fox demon to share her sleeping bag as she climbed in and turned to face away from the others. He thought about saying something to annoy her into 'sitting' him, like he usually did. But that didn't really solve anything, especially when what she was upset about wasn't necessarily something he'd done.

"Shippo," he called quietly, when the kitsune was about to move around to the girl's other side. He shook his head when Shippo looked up at him wide-eyed. The young demon looked back down at Kagome, then quietly scampered around the fire to where Inuyasha sat.

"Let her rest," the hanyou murmured, golden eyes still watching Kagome worriedly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>

"Damn it, not now!" Inuyasha growled out of nowhere, slamming a hand into the ground beside him.

"What is it, Inuyasha?" Miroku asked, blinking at the outburst.

"What's wrong?" Sango echoed, her hand halting mid-swipe as she cleaned Hiraikotsu.

"It's the moon, isn't it."

The others looked at Kagome. It was the first she'd spoken since early in the morning when they were eating breakfast. Inuyasha had set a quick pace, wanting to make up for the time they'd lost fighting the demoness the day before. Now, they were taking a late-afternoon break, before moving on once more.

Inuyasha turned his face away, folding his arms across his chest. "We don't need this now." How the girl'd managed to keep track of the moon's phases, even without being able to see, he didn't know.

"Inuyasha, you say that every time this happens," Shippo responded with a giggle. The laugh soon died when he realized no one else was joining in.

Miroku looked up at the sky to judge the angle of the sun. "We should find a village before nightfall. If we wait until sunset we can stay there for the night."

Inuyasha nodded, then stood. "Let's get going, then."

Sango helped Kagome to her feet, then picked up Hiraikotsu. "Lead the way, Inuyasha."