InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silhouettes ❯ The New Girl ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silhouettes

 

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Or the lyrics of Silhouettes. Smile Empty Soul owns those.

 

"I don't wanna live like my mother

 

I don't wanna let fear rule my life

 

And I don't wanna live like my father

 

I don't wanna give up before I die---Hey!," Turning sharpley, her eyes met gold staring back at her.

 

"It's getting better," He commented, taking the place next to her on the grass and stretching out.

 

"So says you," She muttered, staring down at the strings. "And even if it was, you didn't have to pull my hair to tell me." She stated simply, sending a glare his way.

 

"Heh, it worked didn't it?" He asked, reaching up and pulling on a lock of her hair.

 

"Stoppit!" Swatting away his hand, she stood up at grabbed her bag.

 

"Where you going, Kag?" No response, as she merley walked off with a quick wave in his direction.

 

---

 

"Kagome! Ayumi called,"

 

"I'll call her back later, Souta." She replied, walking up the stairs. Giving a sigh as she flopped down on to her bed, she blinked at the purple ceiling. Life had...changed. Her mother and father had died recently in a hit-and-run car accident of sorts. Not like anybody could do anything about it. The lawyers had determined that her and Souta needed somebody to live with them, so they sent her grandmother;Kaedae, therby forcing them to transfer back home to Kyoto, from Osaka. Her dad had been a real music buff, investing in guitar lessons for her. He handed down his old acoustic guitar to her. Sure, she could've bought a newer one, but this one was...special.

 

She would start school tomorrow. Joy.

 

---

 

He rolled over, blinking slowly as the at the bright-red "7:45" blinked back at him. Slamming his hand down on the snooze button, just in time for his half-brother to slam his door, and his mother to call up for breakfeast.

 

"It's too fucking early for this shit..." He muttered, pulling out a chair from the table. Sesshomaru raised his eyebrows, while his father took a seat at the table. His mother stared at him.

 

"Inuyasha!"

 

"What now?"

 

"Wait for everybody to be seated,----and watch your language--"

 

Grabbing a piece of toast anyways, he pushed away from the table and left for his room. His mother just sighed, while his father placed a hand on her shoulder.

 

"Eventually..."

 

---

 

Turning up her headphones slightly, she waved to Souta as he walked up to his last year in Junior High. Now, on her way to Sakigama High School, she sighed again. New school meant new-uh---Really, she couldn't remember. Since she had lived in Osaka for most of her school-going life, she had always been at the same school with friends, one thing she didn't have at this school. Still though, what if they still lived in Kyoto? If chance would have it maybe they would all be in the same school....

 

Drifting in to her thoughts, she didn't notice the `mountain' that was slowly coming up before her, and the many students around it.

 

---

 

He slung an arm around his long-time girlfriend Kikyo. Surrounded by friends, newbies to scare, a great girlfriend, what else could he ask for?

 

"Eh Inu?" Miroku Hachii stood to his left, nudging Inuyasha in the ribs. Unfazed by Inuyasha's glare, Miroku's gaze followed the new English teacher up the stairs.

 

"You're a sick little man, Hachii."

 

---

 

"Ayame---I need coffee." The brunette muttered, lying on her back in the grass.

 

"Sorry, but this mocha is mine." She pulled the cup away from her friend's dying reach, as she sipped it contendidly.

 

"No fair," Sango pouted, "Share the coffeee...Woah. Since when did Kikyo...look so unhappy...."

 

The bell rang, startling several of the students out of their Thursday morning-blues, as they trudged up the stairs to school.

 

---

 

Kagome shuffled through the bodies, in attempts to find the office. The school was huge, with one floor having the Math, Sciene, and English, and home rooms 1-A though 2-D. The next floor had the Music, Art, Cafeteria, Media, and homerooms 3-A though 5-D. The last floor, was where she was assuming the office was, there was a small theater, and a couple of classrooms for certain classes.

 

"Oy! Hachii! C'mon!" She blinked as she heard the shout-out. Hachii...she had heard that name somewhere before, right? Wasn't that...

 

Somebody had shoved her against a locker in the mid-morning rush, sending her bag skidding in to the stairs. Rubbing her head, Kagome flipped the back of the person off, before going to collect her stuff.

 

`Now to find the office...' She gave a random guess, and opened the door right next to her. Lo and behold, it was the office.

 

The secretary turned her gaze away from the computer to Kagome, and stared.

 

"Higurashi, Kagome. I'm a new student, I need my schedual." Nodding, the secretary printed out a copy of the timetable for her.

 

---

 

Sauntering into class, the small group took their places in the middle of the class, all desks pushed slightly away from the five. Kikyo, Inuyasha, Miroku, Kouga, and Kagura made the `population' of the school.

 

The small teacher took his place at the front. Slightly---vertically challeneged, he had to stand on his desk to be able to see the whole class.

 

"Attention," He called out, but had no response. Sighing, he decided for going for one of the most drastic methods. "It's Wonderful Wednesday Surprise for lunch today!" Most of the students faced him, horrified looks on their faces. That, was as much attention as he was going to get. "Now, today we have a new student with us---Kagoomay." Unable to pronounce her name, he drew out every syllable, making the students snigger.

 

She walked in. Walking past the rows of desks, not bothering to stop at the front, she picked an empty seat in the back.

 

The room slowly started to open with conversations, mostly about `The New Girl'. A pair of maroon eyes blinked disbelievingly.

 

`Kagome...? You're back?'

 

---

 

Kagome sighed as the bell wrang, happy that English was finally over. It was hard to learn stuff you already knew...wait, that made no sense.

 

`Whatever,' she sighed to herself. She forgot her lunch today, and after taking a look at the cafeteria food, opted for buying some chips out of the machine.

 

Or...not. The machine was, of course, empty. Wait, there was actually a green rice crispy square...Kagome shuddered, and just grabbed her guitar. Walking outside onto the mini deck, the students were scattered around in groups across the area. Taking a seat around the middle, underneath a Sakura tree, she took out her guitar.

 

"Silhouettes above the cradle hold me down

 

They won't let me go the wrong way

 

My mother taught me all the fables, told me how

 

In the end all the sinners have to pay

 

But..." She sang softly strumming the guitar. Several people, both exiting and entering the building smiled at her music. Some taking seats near her just to here the music.

 

Inuyasha's ears twitched as he heard that voice. He'd heard it once before...

 

"...I don't wanna live like my mother

 

I don't wanna let fear rule my life

 

And I don't wanna live like my father

 

I don't wanna give up before I die..."

 

She continued on with the song as several people came in closer to hear. Her vocals reached out through the courtyard, but she didn't notice. Absorbed into the music, she took over the next verse as several sets of recognizing eyes were cast upon her.

 

"...He worked so hard his bones are breaking

 

He wore them down but long ago he lost the feeling

 

His good intentions leave me shaking, show me how

 

I don't ever want to end up like he did

 

And..."

 

"Right Inuyasha?" Kagura asked, across from him. He shook himself out of his stupor as he heard another voice.

 

"Uh-yeah, sure," He agreed absently, trying to pinpoint the voice.

 

"...I don't wanna live like my mother

 

I don't wanna let fear rule my life

 

And I don't wanna live like my father

 

I don't wanna give up before I die..."

 

She came to the closing of the song, but was taken out of her trance by the soft clapping that waved through the yard from each group.

 

Inuyasha clapped absently, as the other four stared at him in disbelief. Sango clapped enthusiastically, recognizing her as soon as she began the song.

 

"Again!" Ayame cried out from beside her, and soon a chorus of cheers followed. Kagome's eyes widened, as she realized almost everybody on third lunch had heard her singing, and slowly picked up her stuff. Backing slowly up the stairs, she saw a flash of silver and dog ears from one of the corners, his eyes fixated on her.