InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver-Haired Beauty ❯ Let's meet the family! They want to kill each other?! ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

{}

Afternoon

}

Sesshomaru strode the halls of the mansion as if he owned them. Mostly because someday, he would. Hair trailing behind him in a shimmering silver banner, his coat was pressed and tucked with expert precision. It was white, like many of his clothes, accented at the sleeves and hem with lavender clouds which seem to pass over a pale yellow full moon on one shoulder. He had forgone the full armor he usually wore. After all, it wouldn't do to scare the bride witless. Besides, he still had his swords if she turned out to be violent.

The wine-red color of his upper lids could be clearly seen since he was watching the scurrying servants through half-lidded eyes. Erect and confident, every inch of him was arranged to present a picture of the knowledgeable and assured future Lord of the West.

Only his scattered thoughts belied his calm exterior.

'Even breaths. Yell at the maid for spilling the mop water when she jumped after you'd informed her about missing a spot on the floor. Turn here. Where did that awful scroll hanging come from? Note to self, have it removed and burned, then burn the one who created it and hung it up there.

'Even breaths. Second note to self: fire the cook for burning the buns this morning. Hmm, or set the cook's buns on fire as a future warning? Decisions, decisions… Down this hall. Ooh, I like that vase! Third note to self: tell Jaken to get three more just like it after you skin him alive for his failure and trying to lie to me to cover it up.

'Even breaths. There's the door. Who the hell am I about to marry!?!?'

Coming abreast of the doors leading to the dining room, he paused and took a final steadying deep breath. Feeling composed, he slid the panels aside and entered to greet his future wife.

"Greetings Lord Sesshomaru." piped an aged and cracked voice.

The first sight that met him was the round face of an elderly female youkai. Her skin was a time worn blue from which a myriad number of wrinkles bloomed like wet parchment when she gave him a pleasantly fanged smile. Dark gray hair was gathered into a loose bun on top of her head, which was itself graced by a veritable crown of small horns. Barely coming to his waist, she still wore an expressive smile even though she had to crane her neck up to give it to him.

'OH GODS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' The voice in his head screamed loud enough to almost make him wince. Almost. Smoothly, he glided over to the older woman's side and bowed regally. "Allow me to welcome you to our household."

'NONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!' screaming and clawing at the walls of his mind, the voice rose to a frenzied pitch, which he tried to ignore. "I do hope the trip was not too trying for you. I know that we live quite far from the main roads, so journeying here is often difficult." Gently patting her aged and almost brittle hand, he guided her slowly to an empty seat.

'I REPENT! FOR EVERYTHING, ANYTHING! I REPENT OF ALL MY WICKED SINS, THOUGHTS AND DEEDS, JUST NOOOOOO!' choking and crawling across the space of an imagined prison, the voice continued seeking a means of escape. Sesshomaru continued to ignore it. "Might I have the honor of knowing your name?" he inquired politely, with a distant smile on his lips as he released her arm.

'I REPENT! BY ALL MERCIFUL GODS I REPENT!!!!!' weeping in utter dejection, the ignored voice fell to silence in a corner.

"Wow, he sure grovels well for a blue blood!" The highly amused voice came from another part of the table. Golden eyes flickered up to see a lovely young woman shake her head sadly before she took a large swig straight from a bottle of sake. She glanced up at Lord Yamatsu, who wore a stunned expression on his face from having witnessed his son's performance. The laugh she gave was high and musical, while the hand she laid on the Lord's arm was small and fine-boned.

"I thought for sure he'd have clawed his own throat out when he saw my mom at the door! I owe you a drink Lord Yamatsu." She promptly paid her debt by refilling the cup in the older youkai's unfeeling hand.

Turning back to face Sesshomaru, she shook her head in admiration, causing dark bangs to fall before her eyes. Another swig went smoothly down her lips before she nodded to him once, "But as for you. I've got to admit, you sucked up that first flash of panic and rolled on slick as oil. I like that." Giving him a sly wink and smile, she turned her attention back to the meal before her.

{}

'That boy is too impetuous for his own good.' Rubbing a hand over his face to hide his mortification, Lord Yamatsu sighed instead. 'Gods, let this be a nice quiet meal. Just bless me this once and say that whole fiasco at the door between Shinaki and Sesshomaru was the worst I have to look at today.' The he remembered that his youngest hadn't arrived yet, and the sigh grew deeper. 'Never mind.'

{}

Inuyasha stopped before the towering gates of his father's mansion, landing lightly on the ground. Lacquered wood painted a dark red and banded with iron rose over them, supported by towering walls of pale, thick stones. Kagome slid off his back and wobbled a bit on her feet. Without thinking, Inuyasha reached out a hand to steady her, and held on as he drew her close to him.

"The old fart really must have been worried about somebody biting his balls when he built this tomb." While rude, Kagome couldn't help but wonder if Inuyasha's speculations might have been right. She took a moment to look at the home he'd lived in for so long. 'Still as happy as a cemetery.'

The thought was grim and undeserved, even though it was justified. Despite previous attempts by Lord Yamatsu to make the mansion and grounds more bright and friendly, the overall atmosphere of a place lived in by numerous youkai was still one of shadows and secrets.

Kagome honestly didn't like coming to see Inuyasha's father here, instead preferring the visits he paid them at their cottage. Being at the mansion sometimes gave her a headache. Partially from Inuyasha being so tense the entire time they were there, but the rest of the elusive migraines were linked to her miko abilities. Staying around the vast amounts of youki collected within the walls had sometimes kick started a few flares of purifying magic.

She sucked on the inside of her lower lip as she recalled one unfortunate incident Honestly, she hadn't meant to turn that one servant into a bird. He'd come in with a fresh towel, she'd accepted it and poof! Her abilities had driven out his youki, leaving a behind an ordinary little sparrow. Lord Yamatsu had been very kind about the whole thing, even if most of the rest of the staff tended to either avoid her like the plague or surreptitiously try to kill her.

On the whole, she would have chosen a meeting at a nice quiet inn somewhere. A wry grin briefly lit her face as she tried to envision any inn that would accommodate or survive a Demon Lord, his hot headed hanyou son, frigid heir apparent and whatever the future bride would be.

None came to mind.

Glancing over at where Inuyasha had gone, she rolled her eyes when he got involved in a shouting match with the gate guard. Leaning gingerly against the wall, she idly wondered how the little bout would end and what Lord Yamatsu would say if he was suddenly short a guard. 'Not much really. He'd probably use tensaiga to revive the guy and get into a bigger shouting match with Inuyasha.'

Lord Yamatsu was really nice, so she couldn't understand her beloved's animosity towards his own father. During the whole time since she'd met the older youkai after she and Inuyasha had fought that rogue demon pack five months ago, the kindly dog youkai had gone to great lengths to see that she and his youngest son were happy.

The argument by the gate was really heating up nicely. 'I wonder which one is going to throw the first punch?' Sometimes it was scary how used she'd become to every strange little thing.

Unbeknownst to Inuyasha, it had been Lord Yamatsu who had provided the land and the cottage they lived in. Kagome blushed deeply. He'd called it an early wedding gift for them both. Even Shippo had been warmly included in the many kindnesses showered on the couple. Yamastu had instantly taken a grandfatherly interest in the orphaned kitsune, sometimes taking him around a few quiet youkai villages to meet children his own age.

A genuine smile warmed her face as she thought of the man who'd become like a second father to her in so short a time. She only wished Inuyasha would try harder to get along with him. Coming back over to join her after punching the poor guard in the head, Inuyasha took her hand. "Old fart hasn't changed a goddamn thing." grumbled the love of her life as he roughly pushed open the door.

Sighing again as she followed him inside, she sent a prayer to the heavens.

The walk from the closing gates to the main house was short and uneventful. She watched in amusement as Inuyasha's ears twitched constantly, sensitive nose sniffing for scents only he could detect. Most likely only youkai of one sort or another, nothing to worry about.

For the most part, she was right. The myriad odors floating by were not unusual at all, but one scent made him pause and break out in that wide feral grin. The bride was here.

No longer riding on his back, Kagome could actually see the grin this time. Shuddering when she saw it twist his mouth unnaturally, it gave her a serious case of the willies. Before she could back away or make a comment about it, she was snatched off her feet and into his arms as if she weighed nothing. At any other time, the act would have been comforting or at least normal, but not with him smiling like the high king of hell. 'First this morning, and now he's grinning like a loon! I don't know if I can handle this.'

"Inuyasha, put me down." If he heard her, he gave no sign. Her plea was lost as he dashed forward into the house.

Scenery whizzed by as he unerringly navigated the halls of his childhood home. Apprehensive and definitely not trusting the look in his eyes, she did the only thing she could think of; she wriggled her arms free and tweaked his ears.

A surprised yelp reverberated through the halls.

"Damn it Kagome, that hurt!!" Arms flapping wildly, she gave a small shriek as Inuyasha suddenly released her to tend to his wounded ears. The fall was short, but hard since she was unceremoniously dumped on her bottom. Rubbing the offended area, she could only glare icily at him. "Well I wouldn't have had to yank on them to get your attention if you'd been using them!"

Satisfied his ears weren't in danger of coming off, he drew himself up and screamed back with righteous indignation, "What the fuck do you mean you crazy bitch?! I use them all the time and it's mostly to save your pathetic ass!" His voice was gruff as he absently rubbed his ears again to soothe them. Crazy woman.

The harsh tone didn't even make her flinch. "This isn't a stupid battle and you've been acting majorly weird since this morning and I'm tired of it!" Jabbing a stiff finger against his chest, she poked with every word. "So stop it baka!" Inuyasha backed up hurriedly, as much from that stabbing finger as from her tone of voice. "No need to get mad Kagome."

"Baka!" Eyes glinting, she turned and stomped away, muttering at him under her breath. Inuyasha crouched down on his haunches, listening to every word and smirking as he did so. 'She can swear a blur streak if she said that a little louder.' The smirk widened as he mentally counted backwards from ten. He didn't even make it to seven.

Screaming and running, Kagome came flying around the corner with a small cackling youkai hot on her heels.

'It's not a stupid battle.' he thought mockingly. Stepping in front of her, he swiftly brought his elbow down on the head of the creature chasing her. 'Yeah right.'

A rather large rat youkai lay sprawled on the floor boards after the blow. 'Probably a page or lower servant' he thought. When Kagome gave a small shudder, he nudged the portly side to make sure it was still alive. A loud protracted snore verified that it was most definitely still among the living. Growling at the prone form splayed unconscious on the boards, Inuyasha just said, "feh."

He then reached back and laced his fingers with Kagome's before starting forward. The gesture, both protective and apologetic, brought a blush to her face. A feather soft brush of warm lips against hers only deepened the color. "C'mon, we're gonna be late Kagome." Mumbling happy little curses at him, she followed as he led her to the dining room.

{}

Sesshomaru had been many things in his life, but he could count on one hand the exact number of times he'd been genuinely surprised. Sipping his tea, he plucked a slice of glazed meat from his plate and chewed it thoughtfully.

His mother's death by a flaming runaway steamed bun cart driven by a demon possessed cat and pulled by five duck youkai, was definitely the first.

His father's second choice of wife being human shouldn't have been quite as surprising as it had been at the time.

The birth of his bastard half brother was a given of the marriage, but his continued survival despite daily attempts on his life by his older brother had been an irritating third.

The fourth and probably most shocking one of them all had been the fact that he'd developed what looked like eye shadow and odd tattoos on his face and body when he'd hit puberty. Sufficed to say, the years following that last event were what had molded him into the frosty sonofabitch he was today. He allowed himself a slight smile at the thought.

Today though, he could finally fill out his right hand with the things that had genuinely surprised him. It had merely taken three hundred years or so to do it. Nodding politely again towards the elderly youkai Shinaki, he glanced at the young woman currently balancing chopsticks across her nose. He somewhat…approved of the girl his father had chosen.

'Well, she is attractive enough I suppose.' Noting the almost haphazard way her obi was secured, he amended, 'Though a bit rough around the edges. Nothing that a few well trained handmaidens cannot rectify.' Examining her with a thoughtful yellow gaze, something buzzed annoyingly in the back of his mind. She smelled...just a little peculiar though.

As if noticing his subtle scrutiny, she blinked and turned her face towards him. He sucked up a sharp intake of air, hiding the action behind his cup of tea. Those eyes... He'd never seen eyes that color before, not even in youkai or demons. The cup lowered slowly as he continued to stare.

Shadows in snow was the only way to describe them. They were a blue only seen in deep ice as it met the ocean. Impossibly bright and clear, the iris might have been called washed out if not for their sheer vibrancy. A ring of slightly darker blue-violet ran around the edges with fleck of the same color scattered throughout the crystal depths. Large and open, her eyes were fringed with long black lashes. Ebony brows arched gracefully over them while she openly appraised him even as he finished studying her.

Rosy lips quirked up as a smile tugged the corners. Framed by a mass of the same raven dark hair as her lashes, it was swept up into a loose ponytail. The heart shaped face was touched by a delicate pink across her cheeks and nose. As he looked on, a few errant strands of silky hair fluttered against her slender neck and ears when a cool breeze blew in from the gardens.

So very beautiful.

"What the fuck are you staring at?" Lilting and pleasant, her words were jarring against such a lovely voice. He mentally tacked on etiquette lessons as well. As he was about to respond, the door flew open.

"Hell the fuck lo."

"Inuyasha..." the name slithered out as more of a curse than a greeting. Sesshomaru stood, fully prepared to throw his brother out on his rude ear. A tingle from the left was all the warning he received as he was blind sided by a small lithe body launching itself through the air. Incredulous, he watched as it attached itself to the hanyou in a death grip and squealed delightedly, "INUYASHA!!! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!"

{}

Kagome wasn't sure of a lot of things. Math was top on her list, followed pretty much by English Studies. However, she was instantly sure of two things the moment she saw the beautiful girl practically wrap herself around Inuyasha. One, she was going to kill her quickly, right after a polite greeting.

Stormy eyes looked fiercely at the grinning hanyou. Two, she was going to kill Inuyasha slowly for returning the intimate embrace.

{}

Yamatsu sipped his tea ruefully and surveyed the scene before him. 'This would have gone better if I had just handed out knives and sat back. At least Shinaki hasn't been insulted.' Humming a very pleasant little tune, Shinaki was eating her meal in blissful ignorance of the frosty glares and dagger sharp looks being thrown over her head.

The older youkai sighed. 'Yeah, knives would have cut this torture session blessedly short.' Before any introductions could begin, the young woman he'd chosen to wed his eldest son had rather...enthusiastically wrapped herself around his youngest like a second skin. After an understandably tense moment in which he'd clarified to her that it was indeed Sesshomaru she was to wed and not Inuyasha, the meal had settled down into a sullen silence.

With a solemn cough to clear his throat, the Demon Lord of the West opened his mouth to initiate a conversation. After a brief moment, he closed it again when he couldn't think of something relative or even safe to say. Honey dark eyes took in the stoic and unnaturally beautiful face of his eldest, instantly dismissing any topic as futile.

Anything he said to Sesshomaru would result in a succinct and emotionally drained answer that would somehow also manage to insult everyone in the room as well. No, he actually couldn't talk to his heir apparent. Sesshomaru had withdrawn to wherever the hell he went in his head when he was royally pissed. Which he had been ever since he'd seen his intended bride hug his younger brother.

Sliding from the stiff younger man seated at the table to his youngest child, the old eyes softened. Inuyasha was having enough difficulty just eating. Trying not to chew with a rapidly healing broken jaw that was the result of the angriest 'Sit!' the old Lord had ever seen Kagome do, the boy was doing his best with a bowl of noodles.

For her part, Kagome was seething. Looking down into her lap, she stabbed her food with a viciousness that made him wince inside. If the chopsticks had been knives...his youngest would have died in horrible agony.

The only ray of light in the gloom was the little bride to be. And what was the bride to be doing? Chatting with Inuyasha like a couple of old drinking buddies.

"Oh! Do you remember that time you got so drunk you fell out the boat while it was still on shore? You were rolling around and screaming because you couldn't remember how to swim!" Wiping a mirthful tear from one eye, the girl pressed her hand to her aching stomach. "I told you 'Inukaki, inukaki!' and you just yelled at me to come get you before you drowned!" Completely undone, she dropped her head into a hand, in near hysterics.

Her references to 'dog paddling' just brought a tolerant smirk to Inuyasha's face. "Oi, what about when you promised that young Lord he could sleep with you? If I'm right, didn't you tie him up and rob him blind instead?" *the words were more slurred, but why make you try to read that?*

Leaning back slightly, the girl groaned in dismay, "Oh man! I still can't figure out how he got loose! I was so sure I tied his hands and feet together behind him." Smiling warmly, she playfully lifted one side of Inuyasha's downy bangs away from his face, "But the look on his face when he cornered me in the woods, only to have to face my 'insanely jealous hanyou lover'?!" The hand moved away to hold her stomach again in an effort to contain her merriment. "I laughed so hard at how quick he scampered off I thought I'd wet myself right there!"

A loud bang cut off some of her laughter.

At the mention of the word 'hanyou lover', Inuyasha's face inexplicably slammed straight into his bowl. Noodles flew everywhere as he whipped his head around, bright amber eyes zeroing in on Kagome. "What the fuck was that for!?"

"What are you talking about Inuyasha?" she replied tightly. "I didn't do anything."

"The fuck you didn't!! I heard you mutter 'sit' bitch!"

"I did not you big jerk!! Just because you're a klutz doesn't mean it's my fault!" Sticking out a little pink tongue, Kagome went back to her meal. The ominous sound of clawed fingers cracking loudly near her head didn't break her seemingly mystic connection to the bowl before her.

"Why I ought to..."

"Leave her be Inuyasha. She probably wouldn't have done it if you'd have told her about me before now." Plucking a noodle from his hair, the girl handed him a napkin with an air of mild disapproval. "Honestly, she should have pounded your head in harder."

Kagome blinked. The last thing she would have expected from the girl Inuyasha seemed so close to was understanding. 'Maybe she's not that bad...' Suddenly, she realized a huge breach in manners. Standing quickly, she bowed and introduced herself, "Um, hello. My name is Higurashi. Kagome Higurashi, and it's nice to meet you."

The girl stood to return the belated welcome, revealing a simple but lovely kimono of deep blue with white flowers on it. "Hana, Kuroi Hana. Former best friend and drinking buddy of Inuyasha before that stupid bitch Kikyo nailed him to a tree. Current lieutenant commander in Lord Yamatsu's northern most army." giggling lightly as she pointed at the stoic figure watching them, she chirped, "Future bride of stick up the ass Sessy-pooh."

Crystal blue eyes smiled warmly at Kagome, who found herself smiling back even as she tried to process the names. 'Black flower? She thinks Kikyo's a bitch too?' The last one rocketed to the forefront. 'Did she actually call him Sessy-pooh!?'

An ugly chuckle drifted over from Inuyasha's direction. "Sessy-pooh. I've got to remember that one..."

"If that name escapes your lips again in my presence little brother, I will rip off your head with my bare hands and spit down your half-bred neck." The rather graphic severity of the threat seemed comically out of place against Sesshomaru's unruffled appearance. Delicately sipping his tea again, he lowered the cup to stare levelly at his intended. "That goes for you as well."

Lips curving into a syrupy sweet smile, Kuroi purred, "Then can I call you sex kitten? Because you know you're just so damned pretty!"

Furious pounding was the only thing that saved Inuyasha from choking to death on a mouthful of noodles. Even with the intervention, the hanyou felt it had been a near thing.

His brother didn't even spare him a glance. "No."

Turning to his father, Sesshomaru raised a perfectly arched brow and asked with utter serenity, "Why am I here again?"

A large weary sigh accompanied the response, "To get to know your future bride."

"Why?"

Irritation crept in over the weariness, "So that you can find something you have in common for you life together as man and wife."

"Common? Do not be ridiculous father, I respect you too much for that." Appraising Kuroi with the same calculating yellow eyes, he spoke into the silent room. "We share nothing but beauty, of which hers will fade." Hooded, his eyes glowed faintly. "After all, she is only human."

{}

Inuyasha smiled into his bowl. It wasn't the self-assured smirk he usually wore, or the gentle and loving smile he reserved only for Kagome. No. This was a smile that rarely saw the light of day, one that nobody really knew about and that was fine by him. The smile tugging insistently at his mouth was one of pure, gleefully malicious joy.

Glancing out of the corner of his eye at his old man, he silently applauded. He'd known growing up and hearing whispered details of his father's numerous battles, that Yamatsu could be a shrewd bastard, but this entire situation that had been set in motion? Oh, it took the whole fucking cake. Betrothing his human hating son to a human girl raised by youkai?

Priceless.

Inuyasha muttered a pleased 'feh' as he gulped down some wine, frowning as the liquid stung a few small cuts in his mouth. Growing up around and being raised by youkai had pretty much obliterated Kuroi's human smell. It was still there although very, very faint. A smug look flashed across his face. He was surprised Sesshomaru had taken this long to figure the conflicting scents out.

The smugness died, replaced by a thoughtful look. On the other hand, Kuroi had done a lot of things in her life that had altered her scent dramatically. That and her unique 'ability' further muddled it. Malevolent merriment danced across his eyes again. 'Sesshomaru is going to shit a brick when Kuroi tells him.' Noticing the frigid looks passing between his friend and his brother, he amended 'If she tells him.' A wicked chuckle echoed into his bowl at the thought of his older brother and Kuroi together, "Stupid snob...."

Angry stabbing sounds drew his attention to a more immediate problem. Kagome. His ears, already flattened in displeasure by his general surroundings, flinched at each angry 'clink' of chopsticks against porcelain. She was pissed.

'Maybe I wasn't as nice as I should have been this morning?' he thought. Inuyasha had been so focused on getting here to see the fireworks that he knew he had been too abrupt with her. Reviewing the day in his head, he blinked and winced. Kagome was going to tear him a new one when they got home. Broad shoulders drooped slightly beneath the scarlet haori when familiar musical laughter drifted by.

Not to mention the fact that he'd never said a word about Kuroi. Opting for the tea instead of wine, Inuyasha drank it quickly. Why was it that every supposedly dead woman in his life showed up and proceeded to wrap themselves around him? Right in front of Kagome no less!? A mouthful of noodles slid down his throat untasted. Could his karma actually be that bad?

'I should ask Miroku the next time I see that bouzo.' The young man in question might be a pervert, but he was a damned good monk.

*chink*

But back to Kagome. How to appease her without eating dirt, if it was even possible? The bowl in front of the girl shattered from the last angry stab. Gathering the pieces, she smiled apologetically at Lord Yamatsu, saying something about her miko abilities acting up.

'Yeah right' the hanyou thought, 'there's no tingle in the air. She's just pissed.' A new bowl was whisked before her and the broken remains swept away. Picking her utensils up, she went back to the same silent, angry stabbing.

A noodle hung limply from Inuyasha's mouth as he watched her from the corner of one eye. He sucked it up and swallowed, trying not to twitch as the new porcelain beside him died as slowly as it predecessor.

He was a dead doggy. So dead.

Whether something in his manner betrayed his thoughts, or his father had a sudden desire to save the rest of the dinnerware, Lord Yamatsu announced cheerfully, "I would like for you to all stay here for the night. It would honor me to have my family around again," inclining his head to Kuroi and Shinaki, he added, "both new and old. I'll have the servants prepare rooms for all of you."

The stabbing stopped, but Inuyasha could sense that Kagome was still unhappy. Yamatsu resolved that as well, "Kagome and Inuyasha can take his old room since it's close to the outer gardens that she loves so much."

A delighted cry from Kagome made the hanyou scowl. 'What the fuck is the old geezer up to? Like I would stay anywhere near here with the new moon coming up tonight!' he thought hotly, glaring in his father's direction. About to refuse the offer, Inuyasha quickly lowered his eyes when he saw his father looking back. Suddenly very interested in the bowl of food before him, the young man grumbled, "Sure, no prob."

Kagome started, glancing at him in surprise. Inuyasha ignored her look because he didn't want to get into it right then, maybe not even later. There had been something in Yamatsu's eyes that had disturbed him. Sadness, but that had always been there when he looked at his youngest son, so it was no biggie.

But behind that had been another emotion, something the hanyou couldn't quite identify. The shock of seeing it had made him agree so readily. A small hand touched his leg beneath the cover of the table. Kagome. Grateful for that small contact, he knew he would talk to her about it later on in private.

But first..., "Oi, Sessy! Pass the sauce!"

A bowl came hurtling at his head, where he deftly snatched it out of the air without a drop being spilled. The low growl from his brother signaled that he wasn't supposed to catch that. 'He's ticked that I called him Sessy and not Sessy-pooh. Just different enough that he can't justify disemboweling me at the table. I love this.' Pleased at having annoyed his older sibling yet again, Inuyasha called out a quick, "Domo dick head!"

"You should watch yourself little brother. Tonight is not a good time to invoke my ire." Secure in the smug knowledge that the hanyou would be helpless in a few hours, his taunt brought a fierce snarl from Inuyasha. Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes, fingers flexing in preparation for a fight. Setting their food aside, both brother half rose from their seats.

The boom that rattled the dishes, shook the table and floor as Yamatsu slammed a fist against it. "Look you two," his voice was low and thick with barely restrained fury. As he looked at each of them, the old Lord flattened his hand out to keep from using it on his sons, "I would at the very least, like to eat a meal in something that you might be able to squint at sideways and call 'peace'."

Fury gave way to clipped military tones, "Suck it up and shut it down! NOW!!"

The growling died down, but very slowly. Still wanting to have the last word, Inuyasha gave a short bark. Kagome looked around in confusion, noting that both Sesshomaru and Yamatsu looked thunderous. To the young miko's surprise, Kuroi was grinning at Inuyasha as if she'd understood the sound he'd made.

Her suspicion was confirmed when the girl lightly punched Inuyasha's arm, "Inu, stop teasing the poor thing. Sesshomaru's just upset because his bride's not a youkai." Kuroi flittered her fingers over one of his ears, barely stroking the velvet surfaces.

The slight contact made Inuyasha want to purr aloud, but not with his brother and father around. The hanyou allowed himself a 'feh' to acknowledge the caress, even though he could feel his mate looking at him pointedly. 'Shit, she's going to cut them off anyway so I might as well enjoy this while I can.' Resigned to his fate, he grinned back at Kuroi.

Kuroi gave him a brighter smile and popped a chestnut into her mouth. Wiggling an ebon brow, she proceeded to juggle ten of them with one hand, letting them fall one at a time into her mouth. Despite her anger, he heard Kagome giggle beside him. The little performance evaporated his bad mood as well, and he felt himself start to chuckle.

Somehow the threat of physical rearrangement by Kagome and the rest of his family didn't seem so important, he was just so happy to see Kuroi again.

More than a little surprised, but still ecstatic. It hadn't hit him until she'd hugged him at the door how much he had unknowingly wished for her presence. He glanced over just as she turned to look at him.

They both smiled at the same time.

'Little flower, I have missed you.' The truth was, he admired her. He always had really. She was funny, bright, one hell of a fighter and very little got her down. Remembering the times when she'd made him laugh, or pushed away the loneliness he'd often felt in his life, Inuyasha hid his face behind his bangs and smiled. In his personal opinion, she was way too good for his stupid brother.

'Asshole would probably try to dress her up like a doll. She's too old for that shit.' the derisive thought brought an interesting point up. However, Kagome asked the question before he could.

"Um, Kuroi?" Frowning softly, she turned to the girl and asked hesitantly, "I was just wondering...well. How could you have known Inuyasha from so long ago since he was trapped on that tree for fifty years?" Appraising the slim figure and smooth face quickly, she finished lamely, "You don't look that ol...um, you don't seem like..."

"Like a bent over wrinkled up old hag?" came the amused responses. Kagome flushed and nodded. Scratching her head, Kuroi gave a shy little laugh. "Let's just say that I'm not as human as I appear to you, or smell to inu youkai."

Snowy browns rose in inquiry as the voice in Sesshomaru's head piped up. 'Secrets? Interesting. She might not be a bad choice after all.'

He plucked and ate a piece of tender meat as he ticked off each point, 'Let me see. In her favor; she is somewhat pretty so looking at her will not be a chore. She can fight and defend herself if she's a lieutenant, which means she will not be completely defenseless in my absence. So unlike Inuyasha, I won't be required to save her all the time. She is going to be my bride, an honor she should be realizing in the near future.'

He moved his chopsticks over to the steamed vegetables, 'Strikes against her. She is human, enough said about that. She likes my brother, more than enough said about that. She is a human who likes my brother.' Crisp sliced carrots were chewed thoroughly.

Perhaps the last one had been a stretch, but he felt that the significance of it far outweighed the bonuses. However, the last thing she had said invoked his curiosity, "So what are you if you are not a mere human?"

Once open and expressive, her face closed like a door. "I am simply what I am. Sufficed to say, I'll live as long as you barring some bizarre gristly accident. The rest is none of your damned business." Bracing both hands on the table, she leaned towards him, "And if you think you'll find out in time, then you can damned well forget it." Blue fire burned in her eyes as she scowled at him, "I've spent the last two hundred years guarding it and no one is getting it out of me. So you can go fuck yourself before thinking about an attempt." Having promptly shocked the room into silence, she sat back and drained her bottle of the remaining sake.

'She's definitely not shy.' Despite his outer detachment, her determination sparked a grudging bit of respect from him. Although something about the way his brother was smugly watching him over the rim of the bowl enraged Sesshomaru. They seemed so close, Kuroi and Inuyasha. Almost unnaturally so. Observing them side by side before him, he watched them finish their meal in eerie harmony.

Kuroi's nose would wrinkle cutely at a particular food and Inuyasha would whisk something else before her, without once looking up from his own meal. As the hanyou drained his cup, Kuroi would unerringly refill it although her full attention was focused on something Lord Yamatsu was saying. Back and forth, the two moved bowls and platters of food around in accordance with the other's unspoken whimsy. It continued like that for a while before they finally sat back full and relaxed.

On whole, it was the most disturbingly fascinating thing he'd ever seem. 'It's like seeing a mirror dance with another mirror, or itself.'

Noting the confusion gliding over the miko's face, he knew he wasn't the only one who had seen the peculiar...ballet that Inuyasha and Kuroi had performed. Sliding his gaze back and forth between the two 'friends', he seriously wondered about their actual connection.

'What secrets does Inuyasha know about her, that it seems even I, the mighty Lord Sesshomaru, will be denied knowledge of?' Oddly, he found that it bothered him more than he wanted to admit.

{}

Night

"Kagome, how do you think my dad feels about me?" Laying on his back in bed, Inuyasha watched the shadows move across the ceiling with a slight frown. Pressed up against him, the love of his life propped herself up on her elbow as she thought about her answer. They had quickly made up once safely ensconced in the room, something she was glad of.

With a soft sigh, she kissed his cheek and stated simply, "He loves you." before dropping back down and closing her eyes to get some sleep.

No suck luck. Two warm hands pushed her slowly only her back as her lover rolled over on top of her. "What do you mean he loves me?" Dark eyes searched her face as if seeking an answer in every curve and line he saw. "I never saw that bastard more than once every few months after my mom died, so how the fuck can you sit there and say he loves me?"

Sensing a thread of honest need behind the gruff tones, Kagome placed a hand against his chest and another against his face. "First of all, I'm laying here saying it. Secondly, Myouga told me that youkai feel time differently than hanyou and humans do. Maybe for your dad, it only felt like a week had gone by, or even just a day or two."

Kissing him to stop the mounting protests, she rolled him back over and straddled him. Looking down into the handsome face highlighted by the distant lamplight pouring in from the outer garden, Kagome felt a swell of love for him. "He loves you Inuyasha. Sheesh, he loves Sesshomaru and I haven't figured that one out yet."

Still not fully convinced, Inuyasha folded his arms over his chest. Groaning at his stubborn attitude, she smacked him lightly across the muscled mounds. "Damn it Inuyasha, just watch him sometimes when he's with Shippo. He's a good father!" Rubbing her hand over the assaulted flesh, she added thoughtfully, "Maybe he had to defend his territory from other youkai around that time. Lord Yamatsu doesn't strike me as a the type of person to sit back and let others defend what's his." Glancing at the powerful body beneath her hips, her lips curled into a mischievous smile, "He reminds me of you in that aspect."

Waving a hand around them as she leaned forward on the other, her hair fell in a dark curtain around their faces, "Besides my little human, he did give us the only room in this whole place that you and I both feel secure in for your night of transition." Grumbling at the reminder of his human state, but apparently at ease about the rest, Inuyasha pulled her down and kissed her again.

Trailing the kiss down under her chin he purred against her neck, thrilling inside as the blood rushing in his ears demanded he reaffirm his claim on her. "I'll tell you what koibito, show me that thing you did before and I'll talk to my dad tomorrow." Dipping his tongue into the hollow of her neck, his voice was thick, "Okay?"

A squeal of delight melted into a moan when his mouth locked onto her shoulder. As his tongue played over the sensitive skin, it was all she could do to nod. Her lips parted with a gasp as his hands slid up her thighs and pulled her fully onto his need.

After that, she was only too happy to comply with anything.

{}

On the opposite side of the grounds from the couple, Sesshomaru was searching the garden for his missing retainer. He had a promise of physical torment to fulfill after all. Wandering fruitlessly, he stopped under a large tree and admired the sky. He didn't have his brother's aversion to the moon free night, it appealed to him.

Not only for the opportunity to stalk and terrorize the hanyou in his helpless state, but also because it let him see the stars so clearly. Overhead, the stars shone with a chilled and perfect beauty.

'The night is beautiful. Cool and live with naught but the soothing stars to light my way. I really should skin the toad alive for avoiding me this long.'

Losing himself to the heavens, the young lord tensed as he saw a distant shadow crouch low on the roof. 'I cannot believe someone is foolish enough to try and burgle a Demon Lord.' Incredulous, he rose smoothly into the air to confront the intruder. As a master of stealth and speed, he was displeased that the figure noticed him and ran.

'No one escapes Lord Sesshomaru. I may not have gotten to kill that misbegotten hanyou, but I will slaughter someone this night!' with a burst of speed, he began the chase. It should have been over quickly, but the figure sped up even more as Sesshomaru closed the distance between them.

Bounding from roof to roof, it headed to the eastern walls. Nothing lay beyond it but dense patches of woods and a towering waterfall, which was itself braced by sheer and slippery jagged rocks. 'Fool. You will be trapped there.' cracking a crimson striped hand in anticipation, Sesshomaru's mouth pulled cruelly to the side, 'And then, you are mine.'

A twelve foot gap that lay between the last roof closest to the eastern wall and the wall itself was leapt effortlessly by the shadowy body. The display of inhuman prowess was immediately followed by an equally impressive jump to the ground outside the wall.

Not even slowing down from the landing, the figure ran on. Despite himself, Sesshomaru was intrigued. 'That's a thirty foot drop. Who is this?' Perhaps it was a spy from the Wolf Lord and his tribe, but it didn't smell like one of those mangy curs. In fact..."It doesn't smell at all."

Slipping fluidly over the wall as the pursuit continued, the inu youkai decided not to kill the other man when he caught him. Flying level to the ground he decided to extract as much information as possible first.

Then he'd kill him.

Amusing while it lasted, the chase was coming to an end. As he flew after his prey, Sesshomaru could hear the persistent roar of the falls and taste the faint moisture in the air. Obviously unaware of the impending doom, the cloak swathed figure took to the trees in an effort to evade him.

Sesshomaru wove through the thick woods and branches effortlessly. 'This might be somewhat challenging if Inuyasha didn't do it so often that I was used to it by now.' The thought of his brother unknowingly assisting him brought a rueful smile to his exquisite lips, even as he closed in on his quarry. 'Oh well, it seems the sport is over.'

Breaking through the tree line, he glimpsed the swaddled figure stop at the water's edge. Mist and shadows obscured much of the surroundings, but the ample starlight was enough for him to see by. Landing a few feet away, the youkai dropped his smile.

"It seems that you have run out of options. Thief or spy, your business at the mansion is now concluded." Stiffening at the degrading titles, the other remained silent. Sesshomaru wasn't terribly interested anyway. Breathless answers and incoherent babbling for mercy could wait until later. "Come with me quietly and I promise your death will be clean and painless." Which was true. He hated to mess up a nice outfit unnecessarily.

Swathed in a heavy and shifting fabric, only an empty hood regarded him when the figure turned slightly. Almost imperceptibly, it shook its head once and fell back into the water with a loud splash. Bubbles arose briefly in the inky water, then were swept away by the current.

"I hate having to do this the hard way." Very displeased, Sesshomaru floated over the turgid water to where the cloak had floated up near the bank. Holding his arm to the side, the tips of two fingers began to glow. "Kousen!!"

Back and forth, his arm swung in graceful arches across the water. A few lashes with the light whip shredded the dark cloth, sending tattered remains to float forlornly down the river, but no coppery tang of blood met his questing senses.

Rapidly becoming more upset, he floated out to the middle where it would be easier to hide in the deep water. The darkness blazed bright as day as he sent his ribbon of death snaking through the stream, shattering the stone riverbed and sending gouts of steaming water into the air.

Despite the display of controlled fury, a broken body still did not rise.

Unsatisfied, confused and more angry than he could ever remember, Sesshomaru sent out one last beam before flying home.

Long after he left, a head popped out from the base of the fall and dipped sadly back down. Framed by dark silver hair, it swam under the mass of rocks and through a tiny crevice. Tiny if you happen to be a broad shouldered ten foot youkai. Pulling himself up on a small ledge, the cerulean skinned young man stared down into the clear water he had just left and reflected on exactly why he was where he was.

Kiso thought of himself as a nice young man. Not outrageously gorgeous, but handsome enough to garner a few interested smiles from young ladies both hanyou and youkai. He loved and respected his mother, and since his father had passed away he helped her out regularly with his younger brothers and sisters. He did his chores, helped around the house if needed, hung out with his friends and tried to lead a normal life.

So why was he watching the future Lord of the West make underwater sushi? Large, tilted and completely yellow eyes looked at the figure curled behind him. His big sister Kuroi stared right back.

"What?" Scooting her body around to lean against the smooth wall of the cave that had formed just under the falls, she scowled at her baby brother. Shaking his head, Kiso reached in the black and green short robe he wore, producing a surprisingly large and dry blanket and pillow. "You're going to have to tell him someday sis." He admonished her as she wrapped herself up and prepared to go to sleep. "Lord Sesshomaru is going to be your husband after all."

"Fuck him."

Unfazed by the vehemence packed in the terse reply, Kiso shrugged and rolled his eyes. Silently slipping back into the water, he lifted a dark brow, "You really should try to get along with him sis. I know you think he's an ass, but Lord Yamatsu wouldn't steer you wrong on this. Just try." When Kuroi didn't respond, he shoved away from the ledge and slid completely into the frigid water.

When she was sure he had gone, *hard to do when he uses that damned water elemental thing...* she sat up. "I can't tell him, I don't want to tell him and I won't" the miserable rant looped adamantly both through her mind and around the small space until it was drowned out by the stronger roar of the falls. She drew her knees closer under the covers for warmth. With the pillow between her head and the wall, she closed her eyes and longed for the familiar presence of a certain hanyou.

{}

Yamatsu stood on the balcony looking out over the western courtyard. A small body walked up beside him. He smiled fondly, "You always smell like roses Shinaki."

"And you will forever carry the strength of the mountains you are named for, Lord Yamatsu."

"Will this work, do you think?"

"We can only wait my Lord. We can only wait and see."

Together, the old friends returned to the room, leaving the night to its own affairs.