InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Songs of Faith and Devotion ❯ Preface to the Collection ( Chapter -1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is a songfic one-shot collection featuring the characters Sesshomaru and Rin. All the songs used will be from the band Depeche Mode. In fact, the title for this collection comes from a Depeche Mode album of the same name. During my time writing Inuyasha fanfiction, I have found that the music I listen to plays an important role for certain characters and/or couples. I have discovered that the music I return to most often when writing anything featuring either Sesshomaru, Rin, or both is that of Depeche Mode. The smooth, dark love songs this group routinely put out seem to fit their relationship best. Often, their songs are not about how sweet love is or can be, but how easy it is to lose oneself to its consuming power. Love is not always expected nor is it easy to control. It can lead people to do things they would not do otherwise. So many Depeche Mode songs address that very nature of love, and those songs seem to fit the relationship between Sesshomaru and Rin best. Their love is not easy. It is not always sweet or sugary. It can be dark and consuming and overwhelming. It is not always understood by those around them, and sometimes they don't even understand it themselves. Regardless if their relationship is platonic, romantic, or otherwise, there is still love there. It is not always easy to describe or define. The connection they share is one of faith and devotion, where even if they don't say it to one another, they show it in various ways. We have seen throughout the series, in both the manga and the anime, Sesshomaru, time and time again, rescue Rin, and in the reverse, we have seen Rin care for him through her patience as she waits for his return, or as when she first met him, set out to care for his badly wounded body. They have an unspoken understanding, and that has only grown over time. That is what this collection will attempt to explore---their relationship, love, and connection--- by weaving the lyrics of various Depeche Mode songs throughout each one-shot.
 
The one-shots in this collection will have various ratings anywhere from G to NC-17. All will have their ratings posted in the summary. They will not be interconnected by anything save that they feature a Depeche Mode song. For more information about this collection and my other writings, you are invited to visit my livejournal at farawayeyes4.