InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Strong Enough ❯ Strong Enough ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]





Strong Enough





He was jealous of a flower. Inuyasha, the hanyou that had slain many ruthlessly and without regret, was jealous of a flower. Not that he’d ever admit, of course.

It wasn’t jealousy, he told himself, but frustration over the fact that the girl could just sit there. As if there was no jewel shards, no Naraku, no demons trying to kill her everyday she was there. That was it. He was frustrated.

He watched her silently for a few more minutes as she went about her business quietly. She was perched on a small rock, arms wrapped around her knees as she gave her full attention to the tiny blue flower in her hand. Every so often she stroked the cerulean petals, then resumed looking at it as if it could solve all the worlds problems. He definitely wasn’t jealous. Finally, she sighed and twirled the plant idly in her fingers, looking at the sky. He wondered if she noticed him.

“Hey Inuyasha.” Apparently so. He grunted in response and jumped from his perch, landing gracefully next to her.

“What are you doing out here Kagome? You could’ve gotten eaten and I wouldn’t have been there to save your weak ass.” It wasn’t a total truth, but she didn’t have to know that. She smiled, her gaze returning to the flower once more.

“I’m sorry Inuyasha, I was just thinking.”

Her voice was soft, as if she was still semi-lost in her thoughts. He sat beside her, trying to ignore the fact that the small rock meant they were sitting in an extremely close proximity. He couldn’t move now though, it would be too awkward.

“Keh. What about?” His tone remained indifferent, but he was curious, he always was.

“Lots of things. The jewel, our quest, the past…” She trailed off. She usually was talkative, and making some kind of lighthearted comment, her pensiveness worried him a bit. She smiled and turned to him. “Do you know what kind of flower this is?”

“No, why would I? It’s just a stupid flower.” Was it important for him to know? Inuyasha couldn’t help but wonder where this would lead.

“It’s a forget-me-not.” She said simply, as if it explained it all. “Do you know how it got it’s name?” Again, he grew curious. Did it really matter if he knew or not? It was after all, just a stupid flower.

“No, I have more important things to worry about. Like completing the jewel so I can become a full demon.” Her smile turned sad, and the light in her eyes faded a bit, but she decided not to comment on his last remark.

“I didn’t think you’d know, but I was just curious. They say, once, long ago in a foreign land, a brave warrior and his love were walking along a river. As they walked, he spotted a patch of flowers, these flowers.” She twirled the flower again, her gaze returning to it as she spoke.

“The warrior bent to pick her some, but the weight of all his armor caught him to lose his balance and fall in the river. The current was strong, and his armor heavy, he knew he would be pulled under. So in his last moments he threw the flower to his loved one and yelled ‘Forget me not!’ The flower is a reminder of his and her faithfulness, and their enduring love, even in death.” Kagome let out a small puff of air that barely qualified as a sigh, then remained quiet. Inuyasha sat still for a moment, digesting the information before snorting.

“Keh. Stupid human man. He should’ve known better. If that was me, that wouldn’t have happened, and even if I had fallen in I would’ve found a way out before letting myself drown.” Then, realizing what he had implied he snorted again. “Not that I would even be caught dead picking flowers in the first place!”

Kagome laughed. He turned to her, confused but happy to hear the noise from the woman. He felt warmer every time she laughed, it was one of the rare feelings he allowed himself not to question.

“I know Inuyasha. You’re strong enough as you are...After all those demons you’ve killed, I don’t think something like a river could defeat you.”

The way she said it made him smile softly. The words were filled with trust, trust that he would be there for her whenever she needed it. Kagome saw the smile and grinned widely. He stood, staring out at the sky where the sun had apparently set. Was it that late already?

“Come on Kagome, we should get back to camp, the others are waiting.” She nodded, and accepted the hand he hadn’t known he held out to her. After she had gotten to her feet, she held out the flower to him.

“Here, you can have it.”

He took it silently, and they made there way back to camp, fingers still entwined. He wondered if she minded. He glanced at her through the corner of his eyes and saw her smiling, the light back in her eyes once again. When they broke apart and entered camp he once again resumed his watch in a tree, keeping one eye on the girl who was crawling into her sleeping bag with the yawning kit. Inuyasha looked once more at the flower, the scene just a few minutes ago and her words coming to the front of his mind.

“No, I have more important things to worry about. Like completing the jewel so I can become a whole demon.” Her smile turned sad, and the light in her eyes faded a bit, but she decided not to comment on his last remark.


“I know Inuyasha. You’re strong enough as you are…”


She had promised to stay beside his side forever, which meant she trusted him to protect her as he was. Wasn’t it Kagome who told him long ago that she liked him as a hanyou? Inuyasha sighed, staring at the forget-me-not as if would solve all his problems, then stored it securely in his shirt.
Maybe…Maybe he was strong enough as he was.






____________________________________ ___________



Fluffy one-shot over! I don’t know where I got the idea for this, but as I was listening to the Inuyasha soundtrack, I felt in the mood for some fluffy Inu/Kag goodness. What happens after? Who knows?



Disclaimer!: I don’t own Inuyasha, nor anything relating to it. If I did, well, I probably would have screwed the whole series up then everyone would hate me…and we don’t want that! So, despite my wishes, I don’t own it.



TO those who read You Never Know Until It’s Gone I’m working on an update, but I’m just a little bit stuck right now…Suggestions are always appreciated!!