InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Switching Shoes ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Inuyasha.
A/N: Thanks so much for the reviews. I’d especially like to thank Em-Chan 01, KagvsInu, SummerJasmine, and SugarRos for commented in depth/with length. Thanks you guys
-----------------------------------------------------
It had been a week and a few days since their last battle with the tree-demon. Due to Sango’s internal injuries, the gang had been laying low for a bit, hoping some relaxation would help her recovery. Much to Sango’s dismay of course, ever the fiery spirit, she insisted her wounds weren’t that serious.
“I think we can definitely be on our way tomorrow, In fact, I’ve never felt better” Sango stated, proceeding to stand up and demonstrate her new found health. She flinched slightly, however, and nonchalantly lowered herself back down to the rock she’d been perched on. The flinch had gone unnoticed by all, except Miroku who, for the past week or so, hadn’t taken his worried eyes off of her.
“I agree, we’re wasting precious time sitting around here anyway. Besides, Sango’s relatively strong for a human, I’m sure she’s fine” Inuyasha stated, dangling his slender feet in the river below.
Sango, unsure whether or not to be thankful or insulted, gestured towards Kagome.
“You see? Kagome thinks I’m fine to move on as well” Sango nearly whined, looking towards the Monk.
“Sango, you suffered extreme injuries to your abdomen, you need to allow your body to heal.” Miroku repeated his most recent mantra. And of course it failed to have an impact.
Sango stood up defiantly, wanting to show the stupid monk just who he was dealing with. She reached back for her boom-a-rang and hoisted. A searing pain shot through her stomach and up her spinal cord. It felt as though something had been torn inside of her and she slowly began to fall forward. Bracing herself for the fall, she instinctively put out her hands. The ground never came though, as she felt a strong arm snake around her waist and gently pull her upright. She stood, eyes watering from the pain. She latched onto a bit of royal blue robe and clutched it, trying to find anything to lessen the dull throbbing.
“Sango, you need to lay down, you’re only hurting yourself more and more. And, in all honesty-” Miroku’s baritone voice rumbled against her back, “I don’t think I can take much more of this, I need you to be healthy again. Please Sango, swallow your pride…” Miroku’s pleading, along with the pain in her lower abdomen, allowed her to do just that.
“If you could help me back to my bed, I’d like to rest a bit” She said dully, looking to the ground defeated.
Miroku sighed in relief and took her hand to lead her back to the small cove they’d found to stay in for the past few days. It was well hidden, and perfect place for recuperation.
“No, no” Sango lightly grasped his arm, “If you don’t mind, I’d like Kagome to accompany me” She gave Miroku’s arm and affectionate squeeze, and he nodded. They looked to Kagome(Inuyasha) who was sitting absentmindedly playing with a stick in the water. Miroku coughed a few times, until finally she looked up.
“Whaddya want Monk…” Inuyasha answered, brusquely.
Miroku was taken aback and looked to Sango, she shrugged back. Kagome looked on from a tree branch, shaking her head. The two had become much more accustomed to acting with the mannerisms the other would use. However in times of surprise or absentmindedness it wasn’t uncommon for either of them to forget, and answer as they would in their own bodies.
“I was hoping you wouldn’t mind accompanying Sango back to the cove? She’s feeling a bit tired…?” Miroku said, ending the sentence as a question.
Inuyasha shook himself out of his day dream and answered,
“Oh, right, yes Of course I wouldn’t. Come on Sango” He stood up, walked over, and took her arm lightly. He then began to lead her towards the small cave about 50 feet away. Sango looked back and gave one last comforting glance to Miroku. Kagome shrugged at the scene before her, glanced at Shippo to make sure he was still playing in the shallow waters, and again drifted into a light doze. She had become much more accustomed to sleeping while keeping her balance.
“Here we go Sango. Do you want me to start a fire, pour you some water?” Inuyasha asked, the words still sounding so odd in his own mouth.
Sango shook her head, and looked down, a light blush on her cheeks.
“I- Kagome I need to talk to you. It’s serious. I believe you’re the only one who can truly help put my mind at ease.” Inuyasha became slightly worried, expecting Sango knew something involving Naraku or another powerful demon that the others hadn’t heard about yet. He approached her make-shift bed and sat down next to her.
Sango took a deep breath and took his hand in hers. Inuyasha visibly tensed, and fought the urge to pull his hand away. He looked down at his green skirt, waiting for her to continue.
“I’m late, Kagome” Sango finally blurted out, looking up through her lashes in slight embaressment.
Inuyasha stared at her, dumbfounded.
“How can you be late…we haven’t even gone anywhere in like an entire week…”
Sango looked at the girl, and cocked her head to the left.
“No Kagome…I mean I’m late, I mean for the month…you know…” Sango said, becoming slightly frustrated at her friends inability to understand what she was hinting at.
Inuyasha again stared down at her, now thoroughly fed up with this code he’d never heard of before.
I am thoroughly fed up with this code I’ve never heard of before.
He let go of her hand to scratch his head, confusedly.
Sango sighed and swallowed her tact,
“Kagome. I haven’t gotten my period in a week and 3 days.” She blurted, unabashedly.
Inuyasha, looked at her dumbfounded. He knew about these things, he was aware what happened to a woman for a few days each month. What he didn’t understand was why on earth Sango would be sharing such worthless information with him.
They sat staring at each other for what seemed like hours. Inuyasha’s face dumbfounded, and Sango’s mirroring it in frustration. If she didn’t know any better, she would have sworn “Kagome’s” eyes had glazed over. Finally, almost simultaneously, their faces changed.
“YOU’RE PREGNANT!?” Inuyasha yelled.
“I’M PREGNANT!” Sango screamed at the same time.
There was an odd hush that fell over the cave, as the words echoed off the rocks. Sango bit her bottom lip, and Inuyasha stared at the ground, shocked.
Sango finally became fed up with the silence and looked up at “Kagome”.
“Listen, I know you and I have spoken of the medicines your world has to offer. You remember when we discussed our futures? You said you’re greatest hope would be to eventually settle down with Inuyasha and have many children, and I agreed only with Miroku?” At this Inuyasha darkened 6 shades of red.
WHAT!?
Sango continued, flushed at her uncharacteristic fluster. She used her hands to dictate what she was saying, animatedly.
“Well, remember how we talked about the fact that Inuyasha would know when you were pregnant immediately, and how upset Miroku would be to have to wait and find out? And you described that odd invention from your time that tells you whether or not you are in fact pregnant. And I didn’t believe you, But you insisted it existed? “ She looked at him, hopefully. She nodded her head in encouragement.
Inuyasha stared, then nodded dumbly back.
What could you possibly be going on about!
“So what you’re saying is that it truly does exist, and you could perhaps…get me one?” Sango asked, hopefully.
Inuyasha again nodded blankly, confused beyond belief. However it seemed that whenever he nodded, she became more and more excited, and so he continued to do so. An excited demon slayer is always better than a frustrated one.
A few minutes later, Inuyasha slowly trudged out of the cave, confused and feeling slightly violated. He walked right back towards the riverbed. He marched past Miroku, ignoring his look of confusion. And walked up to the tree. He pointed his finger up at Kagome, who had opened her eyes to the sounds of his stomping.
“You’re gonna wanna be down here when I tell you what I have to tell you, Unless you feel like falling 10 feet down.”
“weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!” Kagome squeeled in excitement, bounding up and down on her bare feet. She grabbed Inuyashas hand and began twirling him around and around. He quickly squirmed away.
“Kagome! I am not you’re fairy boy, stop twirling me around!” Inuyasha said, crossing his arms and turning around.
Kagome never stopped smiling, and began spinning around herself, clapping and grinning from ear to ear.
Sango’s going to have a baby! This is so wonderful! I wonder if Miroku knows…Oh my goodness I’m just going to have to ask mama for anything she has left over from souta’s infancy..
Kagome was pulled out of her musings when she noticed Inuyasha’s abashed face. He stood before her, slowly making small circles with the tip of her brown loafer.
“Something the matter?” Kagome said, in her gravely voice. Inuyasha looked up quickly and then back down.
“We uh…have to go to your time” He said awkwardly.
You said you’re greatest hope would be to eventually settle down with Inuyasha and have many children?”
“How come?” Kagome asked, confused at his sudden bashfulness.
“We need to get a magic stick” Inuyasha whispered
“A magic stick? You mean like a wand?” She asked, still confused.
“No…a magic stick…to tell Sango if she’s pregnant or not” Inuyasha said, almost in a condescending tone.
“A magic-Oh! You mean a pregnancy test!!” Kagome yelled, excited at solving the riddle.
“We can definitely do that!” And she grabbed his hand, rushing out of the brush and past Miroku, who sat helping Shippo dry off from his swim.
“Where could those two be off to…” He wondered absentmindedly, and walked with Shippo back to the cave.
----------------------------
When Inuyasha and Kagome arrived on the other side of the well they were greeted by a small boy of about 11.
Seeing her brother, Kagome rushed forward and enveloped him in a big bear hug.
“Souta! It’s so nice to see your face, I missed being home” Kagome oozed.
“Inuyasha…You’re…Crushing…Me” ; Souta mumbled into Kagome’s red fabric.
She immediately let go, as Souta went tumbling to the floor in a heap.
“What was that about, are you crazy” Souta asked, rubbing his head tenderly.
Heh…opps
Inuyasha stepped forward to fix the situation, he ruffled Souta’s hair and smiled. Kagome was relieved to see Inuyasha had a plan to ease Souta’s curiosity.
“Inuyasha is so excited to see you Souta, he just loves cute little boys. That's all it is.” He gave a big smile, a wink, and walked on. Kagome fell to the floor in disbelief.
Does he realize how creepy that sounded!?
Souta looked at her, and then slowly backed out of the shrine after his ‘sister’ mumbling something about late homework. Kagome trudged out of the shrine behind them, already exhausted.
------------------------------------------------------------
Woooo! I guess in the end im just a diehard Sango/Miroku fan. What can i say Please do review, It's much appreciated!
Next chap will focus completely on their adventures in Kagomes time. And of course, the dreaded purchasing of the pregnancy test! It'd be nice if it could be kept as nonchalant as possible, but as we all know, that's just not Inuyasha's style.