InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Taken ❯ Modern Medicine ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Taken
Chapter 4: Modern Medicine
I do not own Inuyasha or the characters therein; all rights go to Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Productions.

It had been three hours, and his ears were starting to ache from the pressure of the hat on his ears, but the pain was minimal in comparison to the pain he felt in his heart. He ached deep inside, like he’d failed his one true love, and he felt like he had. His heart was pounding in his chest and there was a knot in his stomach the size of a boulder. He wanted to be there, but the doctors told him that he had to sit out there and wait for them to call him. He didn’t know what to do any more; he thought he could protect her forever. What a cruel way for the Kami to prove him wrong. He had been in the chapel of the hospital for an hour praying as he sat in the small, makeshift church, praying that she would be okay. He wanted so badly to hold her and beg her forgiveness; instead he was forced to beg Kami for his. He prayed so hard that he was sure he’d made up for over fifty years of sins, but he didn’t feel that it was enough, he was begging for Kagome’s life.
After a while, he decided that he was doing no good just sitting there, it wasn’t his style, so he walked into the waiting room again and sat there, praying that they would call him soon. Finally, he got up and walked up to a very bored looking nurse and demanded that he see Kagome. “It’s been an hour! I brought her in here, now let me see her!” he said impatiently.
“Sir, she had a lot of wounds, they’re still working on her. She had a lot of deep cuts. We’ll let you know as soon as they’re done with her, until then, why don’t you call her family or get them.” She said to him as she typed the information into the computer.
“Okay, I’ll get them.” He whispered defeatedly as he walked from the desk and rushed to the shrine to get her family. He walked up to the door, and entered quietly as he looked around for Mrs. Higurashi. He found her sitting on the couch, staring blankly into space. “Mrs. Higurashi?” he asked as he knelt before her.
“What’s happened? I know you wouldn’t have torn her bag out of my hands and run off like that unless something was wrong.” She whispered.
“She was kidnapped from a bar.” He said, “The bastard cut her, a lot, carved her skin.” He said as gently as possible. “He’s dead. Kagome’s at the hospital.” He whispered taking her mother’s hand.
“How bad is it?” she asked as she came out of her reverie.
“Her face, arms, and chest.” He finally sobbed, letting his guard down, knowing that Kagome’s mother wouldn’t mind him crying to her like this. “I–I let her down! I was supposed to protect her, Mama! I tried, I promised her I wouldn’t let anything happen to her, and now she’s in the hospital, getting stitches everywhere.” He sobbed into her lap.
The tears began to fall from Mrs. Higurashi’s eyes, she was sobbing brokenly into the hat on Inuyasha’s head. “You didn’t let my baby down!” she whispered into the fabric on his head, “She’s still alive, and you saved her life again.” She said, hugging his head gently and kissing his head.
“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry!” he said as he sobbed into her skirt.
“Inuyasha, take me to her, Sota and Dad are with a family member out of town right now, I can call them from the hospital.” She said as Inuyasha took her outside and bent down so that she could get up onto his back; he wiped his eyes and leapt to the roof. She was startled by the first jump, but adjusted quickly, and they were soon at the hospital and rushing in. She raced to the desk and startled the nurse as she said, “Where is my daughter? Kagome Higurashi… where is she!” she demanded, her husband and I need to see her.”
Inuyasha was stunned to hear Mrs. Higurashi lie to someone, she was always so honest, and he began wondering who this ‘husband’ was, until she realized that she meant him.

She awoke to the beeping of different machines, and doctors working on her legs. The pinches from the needles piercing her flesh to sew her up were driving her out of her mind. “I–Inuyasha?” she asked as she realized she was back in her own time. There was a bright light over her, shining down on her thighs, “W–where am I?” she asked as she shook the cobwebs out of her mind, but they just didn’t seem to want to go away.
“You are in the hospital, you’ve been cut in a lot of places, we’ve already stitched up your face, we did the stitches as best we can to minimize the scarring, can you tell us what happened?” a caring nurse asked.
“I–I don’t know who did this, I don’t know his name.” she whispered hoarsely… “He–he didn’t rape me did he?” she asked.
“No, why do you ask?” she asked as Kagome closed her eyes with the relief that flooded her.
“He… he said he was going to, I–Inuyasha saved my life.” She sobbed with the relief that had set in.
“What did she say?” the doctor asked quietly.
“She said that a dog demon saved her life.” She whispered to the doctor. “I think she’s delirious from the medication.”
“Must be.” The doctor said as he went back to work on her stitches.
Moments later a very worried looking woman and a strange looking man walked into the room, racing immediately to her side, each taking one of her hands. “Mama!” she rasped as she looked into her mother’s face.