InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.
 
Author's Note. This is NOT the version of this chapter that is posted on fanfiction.net as this is definitely a lemon. It is not intended for readers under the age of 18. Please read the fanfiction.net version of this chapter if you are not at least 18 years of age or if you do not like to read fanfics containing the use of graphic sex.
You have been warned. Thank you.
 
Please note - for some reason, the last chapter of a fanfics I uploaded to Mediaminer lost its formatting on upload, despite the fact that I used the same word processing program I always do and save the file the same way. If the formatting is not correct, it is due to the upload and not in the original file. I work from an older MacIntosh, so there is the possibility of incompatibility between the programming used by MM.org and my computer.
 
 
 
 
 
Temple of the Dog - Chapter 17
 
By Urd-chan
 
 
 
Kagome woke to the sound of hammers on stone. The workmen had apparently arrived at the temple early.
“Inuyasha?” She bolted upright and looked around the room. Early morning sunlight filtered through the
small window high on the wall, bathing the room in a dim light. The bed next to her was empty.
“It's about time you woke up,” Inuyasha grunted from his position against the hard stone wall. His gentle expression contradicted his tone as he eyed his priestess.
“Why didn't you wake me sooner?” Kagome scrambled to retrieve her clothing, which was scattered around the bed.
“Don't be stupid. You're human - you need sleep,” he commented dryly as he moved away from the wall and bent to pick up her gown. He held it slightly out of her reach and smiled as she grabbed for it.
“Inuyasha!” she squealed as he knelt on the edge of the bed and pulled her bare form against him. “Give me my clothing!”
“In a minute,” he mumbled as he pressed his lips to hers. “We're not going to have too many days alone, you know. That damned priest and the others will be coming back sooner than I'd like.”
“Well, we're not alone now,” she commented as the hammering outside the temple grew louder.
“Feh! Nobody will be able to hear anything over that noise,” he mumbled as he pulled her down onto the bed and kissed her again.
“They'll be here any minute with our breakfast,” she reminded him before she snaked her arms around his neck and kissed him back.
“I'm not hungry,” he laughed. “Well, at least not for food.”
Kagome blushed and sat up as he released her. “Is that all you can think about?”
“With you looking like that…yes.” Inuyasha bent one elbow and propped his head up with his hand as he studied the priestess's bare form.
“Well, if you had just given me my gown, I wouldn't look like this,” she complained playfully.
“It wouldn't matter. I already saw you, so covering yourself now isn't going to make any difference.”
The sound of someone pounding on the thick, wooden outer doors of the temple reverberated through the stone building.
“Shit,” Inuyasha complained as he reached for his kilt. “They're early.”
Kagome hurriedly collected her scattered garments and slipped into them before following her deity into the outer chamber. Inuyasha had already reached the door and glanced back at the priestess, making sure that she was presentable before he lifted the heavy wooden pole that secured the doors. He pushed lightly on one of the doors and it swung open, revealing the visiting priests and two young boys carrying stoneware with their morning meal.
The head priest bowed slightly to Inuyasha. “I hope that your night was uneventful,” he said in greeting, failing to catch the smug look that the deity gave Kagome. The priestess blushed and looked down at her hands.
Inuyasha shrugged and grunted. “What could happen out here in the middle of the desert?”
“Of course, my lord,” the priest said with another bow. “There would be nothing that one such as yourself couldn't handle.”
Inuyasha looked again at Kagome, but the priestess continued to look at her hands. “With Kagome by my side, there's nothing I can't handle.”
Houjou shifted nervously, obviously uncomfortable from the unspoken implications of what Inuyasha meant. It was common knowledge that the deity had taken the priestess as his wife, and his own feelings for the young woman would have to remain unspoken.
The workmen had continued their work, their hammers and chisels making an almost deafening noise.
“Perhaps we should go inside,” the head priest suggested.
Inuyasha grunted and walked ahead of the others, waiting only for Kagome who entered the temple at his side. The two young boys scurried to the low altar and placed the food there. They paused there as though they were waiting for something.
“Oh, the other dishes,” Kagome exclaimed as she went behind the altar and brought out the clean stoneware pots from the previous day's meals. “Be sure you give our thanks. The food was delicious.”
The boys took the pots and made quick bows to Inuyasha before walking quickly to the temple door.
“Well, we should eat,” Inuyasha grumbled as he watched Kagome take out four plates. Once again their meal would be shared with the visiting priests, and the deity felt uncomfortable with them around. It was especially the younger man who made him nervous, since the man's attention seemed to be focused on Kagome.
The priestess made up four plates of food and served Inuyasha and their guests. She took a seat next to her deity while the visiting priests made themselves comfortable on a second bench. Nobody seemed to want to talk, so they ate in silence.
“Thank you again for your hospitality,” the head priest said as he stood and inclined his head towards Inuyasha.
“Yes, thank you,” Houjou added as he also stood.
Kagome collected the plates and placed them on the altar before returning to Inuyasha's side. He reached out and took her hand in his before turning his attention to the priests.
“You said yesterday that the village is still in need of more work to rebuild what was destroyed in the flood.”
“Yes, my lord,” the head priest said. He continued to talk, explaining to the deity that it took time to bring in timbers for the roofs, since they had to go to the mountains for the wood. “However, the last of the bricks should be made today. Once they have dried and the timbers are here, it will only be a matter of assembling the buildings.”
Inuyasha furrowed his brow and glanced at Kagome. He turned back to the priest. “We'll come to the village and help,” he declared as he stood up.
“My lord, such menial work is hardly suited to one such as yourself,” the head priest said.
“The village needs help, and I'm here. There's no reason I can't do something for the people. They have been loyal and have provided for us.”
Kagome nodded in agreement. “I'm sure there's something we can do to help,” she agreed.
The priests both bowed. The head priest knelt in front of Inuyasha. “The people of your village will be most grateful.”
“Then we should go,” Inuyasha said. The actions of the priest were making him uncomfortable and he wanted to get away from them as quickly as possible. “I'll take Kagome on ahead.”
“My lord?”
“I can travel faster than you, so we'll go ahead and meet you there.”
“Of course, my lord,” the head priest said as he ushered Houjou from the temple and watched as Inuyasha and Kagome followed them into the sunlight outside.
The deity turned and grabbed the large handle of the open door and pulled, swinging it shut before turning to the priestess. “Get on,” he ordered as he turned his back to her and bent his knees.
Kagome blushed as she climbed onto Inuyasha's back. “We'll meet you in the village,” she called as the he began to run across the desert sand. The priests stared in amazement as the deity and priestess were quickly lost to sight.
“Now, if only we could travel that quickly,” the head priest complained as they began their walk back to the village.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Kagura sat in her chambers feeling bored. She reacted with surprise when a loud knocking sounded at her door. “Your presence is required in the pharaoh's audience chamber,” shouted one of the guards from the hallway outside her room.
The wind user slowly stood up and stretched. At least she wouldn't be bored any more, and she was curious about the new pharaoh. She walked slowly to the door and paused before opening it. She could hear the soldiers moving in the hallway, anxious to follow the orders of their new leader. After a moment, Kagura placed her hand on the door and pushed it open.
“I suggest you go quickly,” the soldier said in a gruff voice.
“I move at my own pace,” the wind user explained with a smile as she slipped into the hallway and closed the door behind her.
Four of the pharaoh's guard were standing in formation outside her chambers. She found herself smiling at their obvious discomfort, and couldn't resist adding to it by taking her time going to see the new pharaoh.
“My lady…” one of the guards started.
“I said, I move at my own pace, and if the pharaoh isn't happy with it, he can just…” She paused and waved her hand suggestively.
The soldier muttered something about insubordination as he took his place at Kagura's side. The other guards fell into place, forming a box around the wind user. They were growing increasingly agitated at her insistence in walking slowly and they only relaxed when the small procession reached the door to the pharaoh's audience chamber.
Two more guards flanked the heavy wooden door. One quickly opened the door and waved Kagura in.
The wind user nodded slightly and stood peering into the chamber for a moment before slowly walking in.
“It's about time,” a low, stern voice said as Kagura walked towards the raised dais. She moved to the foot of the stairs leading up the dais and looked up.
Sitting in an ornate chair on the raised platform was a man. He appeared to be taller than the average men of the land. His most outstanding feature was his hair. It was silvery white and flowed behind the throne to the floor, where it gathered in a silken puddle. His skin was pale in comparison to the soldiers that flanked the room, and on it were markings - a purple crescent moon peeked from beneath his fluffy bangs and on each check were double stripes of fuchsia. His chest was bare and he appeared to be only wearing the traditional white kilt of the land. Over his right shoulder was a long, thick boa of white fur.
“When you're called, you are to come immediately,” he said in his low, almost monotone voice.
“Excuse me, your highness, but a woman needs time to prepare for an audience with her pharaoh. As it is I was not even given the time to change my garment for something more suitable.” Kagura's voice was tinged with scorn as she studied the man.
“Don't try my patience,” the pharaoh rumbled as he placed his left arm on the arm of the chair. His movement revealed the handle of a sword at his waist.
“Pardon me, my lord, but I only speak the truth.” Kagura tipped her head in the hint of a bow and narrowed her eyes as she studied him.
“Guards, you may leave the room,” the pharaoh instructed the men who stood at various places around the room. The guards appeared puzzled, but the tone of their leader's voice told them it was in their best interest to follow his orders. They quickly filed from the room and closed the heavy door behind them.
Only Kagura and the new pharaoh remained in the large room. The pharaoh crossed his legs and leaned his head on his arm, which was propped on the arm of the throne.
“You are youkai,” he said bluntly.
“As are you,” Kagura countered with a slight hint of a smile. She was beginning to enjoy this game they were playing. The youkai before her was obviously not any ordinary youkai, and his extremely good looks made the game more interesting.
“You are Kagura.” It was a statement rather than a question.
The wind user nodded and tilted her head slightly. “Yes, I am Kagura, “she said in a voice laced with a touch of arrogance. “I am at a loss for your name, though.”
“His name is Sesshoumaru, although you are hardly worthy to speak it,” said a grainy voice near the bottom of the dais. A short, green, toad-like youkai stepped from the shadows and approached Kagura. He carried a staff crowned with two heads. “You will show your pharaoh respect, bitch,” he growled menacingly as he planted his small body in front of her.
“You dare to threaten me?” Kagura placed her hand on her fan, which she had slid into the sash of her gown. “I could send you to the afterlife with one motion.”
“Jaken, this woman is no threat to me.” Sesshoumaru uncrossed his legs and stood up. He towered above Kagura and Jaken.
“Are you sure, Sesshoumaru? She has already threatened me.” Jaken continued to stand between the wind user and the stairs leading up to the dais.
“Her threats to you do not concern me,” the silver haired youkai said as he slowly walked down the stairs.
“Sesshoumaru?” Jaken appeared shaken at Sesshoumaru's lack of concern. “I was only looking out for your best interests,” he explained in a shaky voice.
“Go, Jaken,” the pharaoh instructed as he approached Kagura.
The wind user stood her ground as she studied the approaching youkai. He was nearly a full head taller than her and his movements were fluid as he walked across the hard stone floor of the chamber. His face was void of emotion, although she could see by his eyes that he was studying her. Good, this game is getting better and better, she thought to herself as she tipped her head to look him in the eyes. They were a deep gold and he kept them focused on Kagura as he stopped an arm's length from the wind user.
“You are the one I need to talk to,” the pharaoh explained as he stood motionless in front of Kagura.
“You need to talk to me?” The wind user's curiosity was piqued and she decided to play innocent, hoping to force him to reveal his real reason for being here. Surely a youkai of his level would have no desire to play leader over a land full of humans.
“Don't pretend to be stupid,” he growled. “You are a youkai in a land of humans. I know of your part in the downfall of my predecessor.”
“Naraku was evil, and he had made many enemies while he was pharaoh.”
“I know all about Naraku,” Sesshoumaru drawled. “You believe him to be destroyed.”
“I was here. I saw with my own eyes…”
“Eyes have a way of deceiving.”
So, he wants to throw me off guard by making me doubt myself, Kagura thought as she gave him smug smile. Yes, an interesting game, indeed.
“What exactly is it you want to talk to me about?”
“Inuyasha. You know where I can find Inuyasha.”
Inuyasha? Of course, that explained everything.
“So, my eyes are right,” Kagura said smugly. “Your hair and eyes. They look very much like Inuyasha's. You are a dog youkai, and he is a half-breed - a mix of human and dog youkai.”
Sesshoumaru opened his mouth slightly, revealing two large canine teeth. “He is an abomination!”
So, Sesshoumaru had issues with Inuyasha. Kagura studied his stern expression and said in a soft voice. “Could it be that he is your son?”
Sesshoumaru snarled and shook his head. “He is the bastard son of my father and a human wench. I would never stoop to mating with a human!”
“But, your father did?” Kagura braced herself for the pharaoh's reaction.
Sesshoumaru remained silent, studying the wind user. Kagura continued to look at him, not letting her eyes divert from his for even a moment. First one to look away loses, she thought to herself. From the corner of her eye she could see Jaken looking on in horror as he stood in the shadows of the dais.
“It seems your underling doesn't follow your orders,” Kagura said sarcastically as she glanced at Jaken.
“Jaken, I told you to leave us alone,” Sesshoumaru said without looking at the toad-like youkai.
“But, Sesshoumaru, you shouldn't trust this woman,” Jaken said in a shaky voice.
“You think this Sesshoumaru is not capable of taking care of himself?” the pharaoh said in a reprimanding voice.
“Sorry, sorry, Sesshoumaru,” Jaken said as he backed quickly from the room. “Of course, I think you're capable…” His voice faded as he closed the door behind himself.
The two youkai studied each other. Kagura cocked her head to one side and raised an eyebrow, waiting for the pharaoh to continue. The two remained silent for several moments.
“You know where Inuyasha is,” the silver-haired youkai stated flatly.
“Of course, my lord,” Kagura drawled. “It is common knowledge that he is at his temple.”
“His temple,” Sesshoumaru said with obvious distaste. “How pitiful these humans are to worship a hanyou.”
“He is a deity in their eyes,” Kagura explained. “They have built a temple to him at a village about two or three days distance from here.” She paused and laughed softly. “Two or three days for humans to travel, that is.”
“I will have a message for you to deliver to him,” the pharaoh said with no hint of emotion.
“A message? And, when do you want me to deliver this message?”
“Soon. I will let you know when.” Sesshoumaru turned and walked slowly back up the stairs to the throne. He turned and sat down and looked at Kagura. “This Sesshoumaru will send for you when the time is right.”
Kagura narrowed her eyes. He's dismissing me? How dare he act like I'm his underling, she thought to herself. Well, she would have to show him just how independent she was. She smiled slightly and bowed her head before turning and walking from the room.
“Kagura,” Sesshoumaru said softly as she reached the door. “Do not think you will be able to destroy me as you helped the others do with Naraku. Sesshoumaru is not one you want to make an enemy of.”
“Of course, my lord,” Kagura said as she reached for the handle on the door. Definitely not someone I want to make an enemy of, she thought as she left the room. A youkai of his position and power would make a much better ally, and one with such extraordinary looks would be better suited to something even more.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
Inuyasha and Kagome reached their destination quickly. They passed a large number of bricks that had been left to dry in the sun before arriving at the outskirts of the village. Once they reached the first of the buildings, they could see how much had been done to reconstruct the homes that had been destroyed by the flood. Much had been done already, but it was apparent that much more work would be needed to bring the village back to its original condition.
The deity and priestess headed first to the home of the village's elder. Inuyasha carefully lowered Kagome from his back when they stopped in front of the door. The priestess stepped forward and knocked lightly on the hard wood of the door.
“Nobody's home,” a young boy said from the road. “Everyone's working on building houses.”
“Thank you,” Kagome said sweetly. “Do you by any chance know where the elders are?”
“Your guess is as good as mine,” the boy said with a shrug. “Anywhere there is work going on, there's a chance you can find them. Everybody in the village is working.”
The priestess nodded. “Thanks. We'll go and look for them.”
Inuyasha and Kagome stepped back onto the narrow roadway that passed between rows of houses. The largest number of workers seemed to be off to their left, so they turned that way and walked quickly to the center of the work.
It didn't take long for them to track down the head of the village. He was busy lifting one end of a long timber and carrying it with another man to one of the ruined buildings.
“We've come to help,” Kagome said over the din of construction noises.
“My lord,” the man said as he handed his end of the timber to another worker and walked quickly to the deity and priestess. “This is menial work, and surely beneath one such as you.”
Inuyasha shook his head. “This village made me their deity and built me a temple. I am given everything I need by the people here. It is only right that I help at a time like this.”
The man looked at Kagome. “You really want to help?”
“Yes, “ she said as she looked around them. Every man, woman, and child of the village appeared to be helping, and yet the work was progressing slowly.
“I fear there isn't much to be done until the workmen return with more timbers,” one of the elders said as he approached the small group. “They have gone into the mountains and will need time to cut and transport large enough timbers to support the roofs.”
“Which way did they go?” Inuyasha glanced towards the mountains he knew were in the distance. His view was obscured by distance and the dust being raised by the workers around him.
The elder pointed in the direction the deity was looking. “The mountains are that way, of course. That is where they are.”
“You stay here and help wherever you can,” Inuyasha instructed Kagome as he turned towards the mountains. “I'm going to help with the timbers.”
The priestess nodded. “Are you sure you don't need me to come?”
“I won't be able to carry you back if I'm carrying timbers,” he explained.
Kagome nodded and moved towards him. She placed one hand on his cheek. “Be careful, and come back quickly.”
Inuyasha glanced at the others around him before leaning towards Kagome and kissing her quickly. “I won't be long.”
“Be careful!” Kagome called out after her deity as he darted down the street and out of sight.
“We're truly honored at your offer to help,” the elder said to the priestess as she turned to survey the commotion going on all around her.
“What can I do to help?”
 
Inuyasha found the workmen quickly. They were busy sawing through slender tree trunks with tools made of stone and bronze. By the looks of things, it would take them far too long to cut enough trees to supply the workmen in the village.
“How many timbers do you need?” the deity asked as he approached the man he assumed to be the foreman of the group.
The man indicated an area of trees. “All the trees marked with a cloth are to be cut,” he explained.
Inuyasha nodded. “I need everyone to stand back - far back.”
The men looked on in confusion. “My lord, is there a problem?”
“Just move back. I don't want anyone getting hurt.”
The men quickly moved to a position behind their deity. Inuyasha studied the trees to be cut and then brought up one hand. He moved his hand quickly through the air, shouting out “Kaze no kizu.”
The workmen looked on in amazement when the energy released from Inuyasha's attack reached the trees. Dozens of trees toppled, neatly cut by a single movement by the deity.
“Amazing!” “It's a miracle!” The men were shouting between themselves as they rushed forward to the fallen trees. The ends had been cleanly cut, leaving them with nothing more to do but to transport the timbers to the village, where they would be honed into suitable beams for homes.
“Help me gather these up,” Inuyasha instructed as he started to scoop up a number of trees.
“What are you doing?” the foreman asked in amazement.
“You need these taken back to the village, right?”
The man nodded mutely. Inuyasha lifted an armload of timbers and turned towards the village. “I'll be right back,” he said as he dashed away carrying the felled trees.
The deity reached the village quickly and deposited the timbers near the area set aside for preparing them. Several men were working at removing the bark and projecting branches on the trees that had already been brought down from the mountains. They looked at Inuyasha in awe as he dumped a large armful of new trees on the waiting pile.
“I'll have more in just a few minutes,” he said as he turned to run back to the mountain. The deity continued to bring back timbers, carrying as many as he could handle each time. It didn't take long until he had the last load in his hands, ready to transport.
“You men can head back to the village,” he said as he once again darted off.
The pile of waiting timbers had grown with his help, and several more men had joined the others, working on stripping the trees and honing the wood to make suitable beams. Inuyasha watched them for a few moments before grabbing a tree trunk and dragging his hand along it. Bark and wood shavings spewed in all directions, revealing a neatly cut beam.
“My lord,” one of the men exclaimed. “How are you able to do that?”
Inuyasha raised his right hand and curved his fingers into a claw. He turned and grasped a second tree trunk, quickly removing the unnecessary portions and adding a second finished beam to the pile. Each timber became a perfect beam as Inuyasha went through the pile. When he had added the last cut timber to the pile of beams he excused himself and went in search of Kagome.
 
The priestess had spent her time moving from place to place, helping wherever she was most needed at any given moment. First she helped watch some of the younger children, keeping them occupied and out of the way of the work that was going on all around them. Next she helped haul water for the workmen, making sure that no one would dehydrate in the heat of the desert sun.
When she began to feel dizzy from too much time in the sun, she was moved to one of the public buildings, which had been turned into a first aid area. Workers who had injured themselves or had just spent too much time in the hot sun for one day were laying on wooden cots. Kagome was busy serving food to a man who had fallen from a low roof when Inuyasha found her.
“Kagome,” he said as he moved to her side.
“You can't be done already,” she said as she set her tray on a low table next to the cot. She helped the man sit up and handed him a large slice of warm bread.
“The timbers are cut and ready to be put into place,” Inuyasha said proudly.
“All of them?”
“All of them, “ he said as he took her hand and pulled her aside.
“I'm not done in here,” she said as he pulled her to him and kissed her.
“I'm not done, either, but I wanted to see you.”
Kagome slid her arms around his neck and tilted her face towards him. Inuyasha accepted her offer and kissed her gently. He wrapped his arms around her and held her for a moment.
“I'm filthy, “ she complained when he moved his lips to her neck and planted a kiss just under her ear.
“I don't care,” he mumbled. “I'm filthy, too. We'll just have to get a bath later.”
The priestess closed her eyes as the deity's lips claimed hers again. For a moment, both forgot exactly where they were.
The sound of a falling tray made Kagome jump. “Sorry,” she murmured as she pulled away from him. “I should be getting back to work.”
“Me, too,” Inuyasha said with a sheepish grin. “You'll have to remind me where we were - later.”
The priestess blushed and glanced at the man on the cot. He was pretending that he hadn't noticed, but the smile on his face gave him away.
“She is my woman, you know,” the deity explained before giving Kagome a final kiss. He reluctantly released her and left the building.
“He's a lucky man,” the injured worker said as Kagome brought him a fresh tray.
“It's I who am lucky,” she said with a smile.
The priestess took the man's empty tray when he was done and found her relief had arrived, so she went back out onto the street, looking for anywhere else that help was needed.
“Kagome.” Houjou's voice caught her attention.
“Houjou?”
“You look lost,” he said as he averted his eyes from her.
“Not lost. Just not sure where to go now. There's so much to do, and I want to help in any way I can.”
“Well, the sun is especially hot today, so I know they are having trouble keeping enough water for the workmen,” the priest said as he studied a rock on the ground by his feet.
“Guess I'll go and volunteer there,” the priestess said with a smile. “I'll see you later, Houjou. Oh, and thanks.” Kagome made her way down the dusty street, heading to the river.
A number of women were wading into the clear water and scooping the cool liquid into jugs. They passed the filled jugs to children who waited at the river's edge. Each child turned and walked back into the village when they had a filled container. As each left, they were replaced by another child, returning with an empty jug.
“Can I help?” Kagome asked of no one in particular. She was waved to the water's edge and handed an empty jug. The water was cold on her legs as she walked into it. It was a sharp contrast to the heat of the day, and she shivered involuntarily as she filled her container with water and returned to the shore. A nameless girl took her filled jug while a young boy thrust an empty one into her waiting hands.
Kagome continued to fill the water jugs until she caught sight of Inuyasha walking to the river's edge.
“Kagome,” the deity called to her. “You need to eat.”
The priestess paused and laughed. She had been so busy helping that she had lost track of time. She suddenly became aware of a rumbling in her stomach. The sun had long since passed its midpoint and she hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. She turned and handed her jug to another woman who had come to help and then walked through the water to the shore.
The two walked through the streets in silence. Kagome was beginning to feel the effects of the day. Her usual duties were not as physically demanding and her muscles had started to protest. She squealed in protest when Inuyasha suddenly scooped her up in his arms and carried her the rest of the way to a small inn.
“Inuyasha,” she protested. “I'm capable of walking by myself.”
He studied her face for a moment and then kissed her . “I know, but it's more fun this way.”
Several elderly men were gathered outside the inn. They looked with amusement at the deity and priestess as the two entered the building.
Inside the inn was chaos. It was apparent that food was being made to be taken to the workmen and everyone in the kitchen was busy. An old woman recognized Inuyasha and turned to tug on the sleeve of a man who was busy adding wood to a fire pit. The man turned and threw up his hands in amazement. He quickly slipped between the other kitchen workers and approached Inuyasha and Kagome.
“We are truly honored by your presence, my lord. What is it that we can do for you?”
Inuyasha grunted and indicated Kagome. “We could use some food.”
“Of course,” the man exclaimed. He turned and shouted orders for two plates and cups before moving to an empty table. “If you would care to have a seat, I'll have your food brought out immediately.”
The deity and priestess sat down on the smooth wooden chairs. Their food was placed before them almost immediately, and both quickly emptied their plates. The old woman from the kitchen took their dirty dishes and left a small platter of fruit. She gave them a toothless smile and turned to greet two newcomers.
“Ah, Inuyasha,” the head priest said as he and Houjou made their way to the deity's table. “I see that you have already eaten. Excuse me if you feel I'm being rude, but do you mind if we join you?” He turned and scanned the room. Every table was taken. “There seems to be no place else to sit.”
Inuyasha grunted while Kagome smiled and indicated the empty chairs at their table.
“Of course, you're welcome to sit with us. We have plenty of room.”
The old women scurried to the kitchen while the two men made themselves comfortable.
“The village is coming along, although I'm afraid there is still much to be done,” the head priest said as he accepted a cup from the old woman, who had returned with drinks for the two priests.
“I can't believe how busy everyone is, “ Kagome commented as she picked out a piece of fruit. “It's amazing how people come together when there's a crisis.”
“Indeed,” the priest agreed. “Of course, the village now also has to prepare for the worshippers who are bound to follow you here.”
“What?” Inuyasha looked from one priest to the other. “What do you mean, worshippers who will follow me?”
“After the events at the pharaoh's palace, there are bound to be those who wish to come and pay homage to you, my lord.”
Inuyasha sat back in his chair with his arms folded across his chest. “You're telling me that there are going to be even more people coming to the temple now?”
“I'm afraid so, my lord. With news of you destroying the false pharaoh, it won't be long before we can expect the first visitors. It is only a few day's journey to your temple from the city of the pharaoh.”
The deity grunted and shook his head.
Kagome placed one hand on his arm. “It won't be that bad,” she said as she gave his arm a small squeeze. “Besides, Miroku will be getting back soon and he will be able to handle things for you.”
“I was wondering… How long do you think it will be before that damned priest returns?”
The head priest shrugged. “Well, since Kikyou's mummy was intact except for the wrappings, I would guess that it will only be a few days - perhaps a week or so at most - before her remains can be returned to her tomb. Of course, it will take longer to transport her mummy and the other things coming with it than it would be to travel unhindered.”
“Well, that gives us a little time to get things ready, too.” Kagome said softly.
“Oh, and I might add that one of the pharaoh's guard passed through the village a short time ago. He came on horseback and left word that a new pharaoh has already been selected.”
“So soon?” Kagome asked in surprise. “Since Naraku didn't have any children, I figured it would take much longer for them to find someone to take over the throne.”
“We weren't given details,” the priest explained. “He only said that a pharaoh had been selected, and that the choice was unanimous by the pharaoh's advisers and the elders of the city.”
“Great,” Inuyasha grunted. “Maybe the worshippers will bother him instead of me.”
Kagome smiled. “I'm sure it will help cut the number who comes here.”
Food was brought for the priests, so the deity and priestess excused themselves and walked out onto the street. The commotion from earlier had not lessened. The road was filled with people transporting supplies for the workers, and the sound of carts carrying bricks rumbled around them.
“Even with us helping, it's going to take time to finish replacing those homes,” Inuyasha observed as they started walking towards the center of the village. He tugged Kagome aside as a cart rolled by. The young men pulling it waved before they were lost in the thongs of people.
“I guess we each have our jobs to do,” Kagome said as the first aid building came into sight. “I'll see if they need me there. Otherwise, I'm not sure where I'll be, or what I'll be doing.”
Inuyasha pulled her to him and kissed her. “Well, you know where I'll be. I would like to get back to the temple before dark, though,” he added with a smug smile on his face.
“I'll make sure I find you before the sun goes down, then,” the priestess said as she slid her arms around him and hugged him tightly. She let go and walked quickly into the crowd of people.
Inuyasha glanced around and made his way to the center of the construction area. There would be plenty for him to help with there.
 
 
“Kagome? You're still here?” Kaede shuffled into the first aid building. She carried an armload of linen strips to be used as bandages. “I thought you and Inuyasha would have returned to the temple by now. It'll be dark soon.”
“It's that late already?” The priestess stood up and brushed off her gown. She had been sponging one of the workmen who had stayed in the hot sun too long.
“Yes, child,” the old woman said as she walked to a large basket in the center of the room and dropped the cloth strips into it.
“I told Inuyasha I'd find him before the sun went down,” the priestess explained as she hurried for the door. “I'm sorry, Kaede. I'll talk to you tomorrow!”
The old woman smiled to herself as she watched the young woman leave. It did her old heart good to see someone so full of life. She moved to where Kagome had been sitting and took over her duties.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome ran up to the unfinished building. She could see his silver-white hair reflecting the red-gold of the sunset as he stood on the roof. “It's late. You said you wanted to return to the temple before dark.”
The deity looked at the sinking sun, surprised that it had already started to get dark. “I hadn't noticed. We've been busy.” He jumped to the ground and walked to where the priestess stood.
“We should take some food with us,” Kagome said as she saw women bringing the workers' meals.
“Then I'm ahead of you,” a voice said. The turned around to find the old seamstress standing behind them. She held a package wrapped with cloth. “I figured you would want to take some food with you, so I made this up for you. I figured it would be easier to carry than one of my clay pots.”
Kagome accepted the package graciously and thanked the old woman. Inuyasha nodded and mumbled something unintelligible. The priestess could tell that he was anxious to return to the temple.
“I'm afraid we need to go,” Kagome explained to the seamstress. “We'll be back tomorrow.”
The old woman smiled. “Be sure you find time to stop by my house. I haven't had time to work on too many garments with everything going on around here,” she said as she indicated the construction around her with a slight wave of her hand. “But, I have managed to make several new gowns for Kagome, and a new kilt for Inuyasha. The fabric your priest found in the back room of the temple was exquisite. I only hope my sewing has done it justice.”
Kagome smiled as she climbed onto Inuyasha's back. “I'm sure they're beautiful. We'll be sure to come by and pick them up.”
The seamstress handed the wrapped package the priestess, who held it with two hands in front of Inuyasha.
“Great,” he mumbled. “I get to smell the food all the way back, but have to wait until we get there to eat.”
The two women laughed as the deity turned and raced into the desert.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
A young girl entered the pharaoh's audience chamber carrying a try of food. She glanced nervously around before making her way to the raised dais at the end of the long room. Sesshoumaru sat silently on the throne, watching the child walk slowly up the steps to stand beside him. She held the tray out without a word.
“This Sesshoumaru does not eat such food,” he said as he studied her face.
The girl remained silent, but appeared to be worried. She glanced around her as though someone was watching her.
“Leave the tray and go,” the pharaoh commanded.
The girl nodded and placed the tray next to the throne. She quickly ran down the stairs and to the door of the chamber. Sesshoumaru could see her stop and glance back at him before she left the room.
The pharaoh shook his head slightly and returned to his private contemplations.
 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
It was dark when Inuyasha and Kagome reached the temple. The door was closed, but not locked, so the deity let Kagome slide from his back and reached out to pull the door open. The priestess slipped into the dark building and waited for Inuyasha to follow her. He closed the door behind him and put the locking bar into place.
“I can't see a thing,” Kagome complained.
The deity moved towards the center of the large room. “Stay there while I light a torch.”
Kagome could hear the sound of flint striking on stone. Within moments a small flame started consuming the oiled rope that served as the end of the torch Inuyasha held. The deity moved around the room, lighting several more torches that were already in place in brackets on the wall. When the chamber started filling with torchlight he moved to the fire pit and wedged the lit torch in his hand under a small stack of wood. The timber quickly caught fire and was soon enveloped in flame.
“That's better,” Kagome said as she walked to their bedroom. “I need to get washed up.” The priestess disappeared into the room, reemerging moments later with a fresh kilt for Inuyasha and a clean gown for herself.
Kagome quickly filled a basin with water and placed it on the floor. She grabbed a cloth and stripped out of her robe and gown. Inuyasha watched silently as she sponged the dirt of the day from her body.
“Must you stare at me like that?”
The deity shook his head. “You were in the sun too long today. Your skin is red.”
“I know,” the priestess said as she cautiously dabbed at the sunburn on her arms. “I try to stay out of the sun during the middle of the day, but it was impossible to do that today.”
The deity retreated into their bedroom, coming back with a large, soft sheet. “Here, put this over yourself when you're done.”
Kagome finished washing and let Inuyasha wrap her in the sheet. She watched as he emptied the basin into a trough along the wall and refilled it with fresh water. He quickly washed and put on his clean kilt.
“Come and eat,” Inuyasha said as he picked up the package of food and undid the cloth ties. Inside was an assortment of meat, flat bread, cheese, and fruit.
“I didn't realize how hungry I was,” the priestess commented as she finished eating. Between the two, they had eaten almost everything in the package.
“I think it's time you get to bed,” the deity said gently when he saw Kagome try to stifle a yawn. “It was a long day, and we will be working again tomorrow. You need to rest.”
“I'm all right,” Kagome lied as she covered a second yawn with her hand.
“I'm taking you to bed.” Inuyasha gently lifted the priestess and carried her to their room. He pushed through the woven mat that was the door to the room and walked to the bed.
“I need to get something from my chest,” Kagome said as she was lowered onto the bed.
“What?”
“There's a bottle of oil,” she said as she pointed at the large wooden trunk.
Inuyasha opened the lid and began to rummage through it. He held out a bottle of something, but Kagome shook her head. “No, it's a smaller bottle than that.”
More rummaging revealed a slender bottle painted a vibrant blue.
“That's it,” the priestess said. She watched as the deity closed the trunk and brought the oil to her. “Good. I need to put this on my skin where the sun burnt it. That way it will stay soft,” she explained as she took the bottle from Inuyasha and opened the lid. She let the sheet fall from her shoulders as she tipped the bottle and spilled some of the lightly fragranced oil into the palm of one hand. Kagome rubbed her hands together before rubbing them against her neck and arms.
“Lie down,” Inuyasha instructed as he took the bottle from Kagome. He sniffed the open end of the container and wrinkled his nose. “It smells strong.”
“Well, the smell will fade quickly once it's on me,” the priestess explained. She turned and lay face down on the bed while Inuyasha spilled a small amount of the oil onto his hand. He pulled the sheet back from her, exposing her bare form to him. He repeated Kagome's actions and rubbed the oil gently onto her reddened back and shoulders. It was slick on her skin and he liked how it felt under his hands. He continued to pour more oil, gently rubbing Kagome's skin with the fragrant moisture until he noticed that the priestess's breathing had softened.
“Kagome?” he whispered, smiling when she didn't respond. “You did too much today,” he murmured in her ear as he lay on the bed next to her and nuzzled her neck. “Silly woman. And you said you weren't tired.” He positioned himself beside her, pulling the sheet over them before wrapping his arms securely around the sleeping priestess.
Inuyasha lay next to Kagome, feeling the warmth of her body and drinking in her scent as he held her sleeping form. His eyes began to feel heavy and his own exertions of the day caught up with him. He soon joined his priestess in sleep.