InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.
 
Author's Note. This is NOT the version of this chapter that is posted on fanfiction.net as this is definitely a lemon. It is not intended for readers under the age of 18. Please read the fanfiction.net version of this chapter if you are not at least 18 years of age or if you do not like to read fanfics containing the use of graphic sex.
You have been warned. Thank you.
 
Please note - for some reason, the last chapter of a fanfics I uploaded to Mediaminer lost its formatting on upload, despite the fact that I used the same word processing program I always do and save the file the same way. If the formatting is not correct, it is due to the upload and not in the original file. I work from an older MacIntosh, so there is the possibility of incompatibility between the programming used by MM.org and my computer.
 
One final author's note. It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of Kristine Batey, aka Bachan. Not only was Bachan a vital member of the Inuyasha fandom, but she was my beta reader and a close, personal friend. Her passing leaves a void bigger than words can describe. I miss you, Kristine. And, I promise to uphold the Inuyasha fandom in your honor. I will continue to hold to your high ideals and pure heart. You are truly missed by many. We will strive to keep your spirit alive, always.
 
 
 
 
Temple of the Dog - Chapter 18
 
By Urd-chan
 
 
 
Kagome woke to the soft touch of Inuyasha's fingers stroking her arm. She could feel the slickness of oil as he poured a small amount on her skin and gently massaged it into her sunburn, which was already fading.
“Inuyasha?” she murmured as she lifted her head to look at him. “What are you doing?”
“I'm just putting more oil on your sunburn. You told me yesterday that it felt good.”
“While I'm sleeping?” the priestess said as she tried to stifle a yawn.
“Well, you're not sleeping now, are you?” he said with a knowing grin.
“You wanted me to wake up, didn't you?”
“Why would I want that?” he said as he averted his eyes from hers.
“I'm not sure, but I think you have a reason.”
Inuyasha shifted from where he sat crossed legged on the bed next to her, slipping down the length of the bed until he was lying even with her. He slid his arm under her and gently pulled her against him.
“Inuyasha?” Kagome gasped as the deity gently grasped her hair and pulled her lips to his. The soft kiss quickly deepened as Inuyasha pulled her more tightly against him.
“You fell asleep on me last night, “ he whispered as he lowered his lips to her jaw line, trailing their warm moistness down the length of her neck. He nuzzled her shoulder as he moved his hand from her hair, bringing it down to lightly cup her breast.
“I'm sorry,” she gasped as he gently squeezed the soft roundness under his hand.
“The sun won't be up for a while,” he said as he moved his lips across her silken skin, pausing where the sheet covered her chest. He grasped the edge of the soft fabric with his teeth and tugged, revealing her bare breasts. “That's better,” he said as he returned his lips to the soft skin leading to her nipple.
Kagome gasped and arched her back as Inuyasha gently tugged on the pink tip, feeling it harden between his lips. The priestess wove her fingers through the hair on the back of his head as she lowered her lips to one of his ears. She blew lightly on the velvet triangle, watching it twitch in response before she opened her mouth and took its quivering softness between her lips. She closed her eyes as she drew the tip of her tongue along the point, smiling when Inuyasha moaned with pleasure and increased the pressure of his lips on her erect nipple.
“You know that drives me crazy,” he commented as he opened his mouth to take in more of her breast. His tongue circled the dark circle of her areola, paying particular attention to firm peek in the center.
Kagome squirmed under him, her breathing coming in gasps as she pressed herself against him. “Inuyasha,” she moaned as he moved his lips to her other breast. His tongue and lips teased the nipple to erection as he softly circled her other breast with his hand, massaging the firm flesh gently before catching the tip of its nipple between two fingers and rubbing it gently.
The priestess moaned again, her pleasure obvious. Inuyasha's own arousal heightened in response to her gasps and groans, and he began to push his hips against her as he increased his attention to her perfect breasts.
“Kagome,” he mumbled as she began to rub one of his ears. She continued to tease the second one with her lips and tongue, enjoying the response she was getting from him.
The deity pulled away from her long enough to reach the vial of oil on the table next to the bed. He poured a small amount into his palm before returning the bottle to the table, and then began to rub his hands together. The friction warmed the oil, and he returned his hands to Kagome's breasts, massaging the slick liquid into her soft skin. She arched her back again as he stroked his hands over the soft mounds, coating her skin with a thin film of the scented liquid.
“Inuyasha,” Kagome moaned again as the deity moved down her body, pulling the sheet further off her body with his teeth. His hands continued to stroke her body, following the curves of her waist before he grabbed the sheet and pulled it off her, letting the fabric float to the floor next to the bed.
Kagome lay naked beneath him, her skin shimmering in the flickering lamp light where Inuyasha had spread the fragrant oil. She writhed with pleasure as Inuyasha returned his hands to her body, spreading his fingers across her stomach before pulling them downward and covering her abdomen. He continued to move towards the foot of the bed, bringing his face even with his hands.
Inuyasha lowered his lips to the gentle roundness of her abdomen, kissing her skin as he let his hands slide further down her body. He slid his open palms to the inside of her thighs, gently pressing outward to spread her legs. The priestess didn't resist, letting her legs open to reveal the soft moistness of her womanhood. Her body was already responding to Inuyasha's attentions, and the warm muskiness of her arousal lifted to him, urging him to find its source. He lowered his face to the dark patch of hair between her legs, nuzzling her with his chin and mouth as he slid his hands beneath her and lifted her hips slightly, bringing the warm wetness that coated her swelling folds to his lips.
Kagome moaned again as Inuyasha kissed her gently between the legs. He opened his mouth, letting his tongue lap the nectar of her womanhood as he pressed his face to it. The young priestess brought her hands down to his head, grasping his hair as he moved against her. His lips and tongue continued to stroke her growing arousal, and Kagome found herself unable to control herself as he moved one hand from under her and slid two fingers into the welcome warmth of her womanhood.
“Yes!” she squealed as waves of pleasure rippled from the source, sending her entire body into ecstasy. She quivered at his touch as he pushed his digits in and out of her, bringing her to the brink of release before slowly withdrawing.
“Don't stop!” she pleaded as she pressed her hips against him.
“Not yet, “ he murmured as he rocked back onto his heels and grasped her thighs. “Turn over,” he commanded.
Kagome rolled onto her stomach, delighting in the feel of Inuyasha's lips on her firm, round buttocks. He grabbed the oil again and drizzled a small amount into the small of her back, returning the bottle to its resting place before using his finger to drag the oil in lines down her bottom and onto the back of her thighs. He returned his open palms to the roundness of her cheeks and began to massage the oil into them. Kagome gasped with pleasure when his hands dipped between her thighs, only to return to her bottom. She sighed. “Why do you keep stopping?”
“I'm not stopping,” he laughed as he grasped her hips and pulled upward. Kagome found her backside in the air, only inches from Inuyasha's waiting hips. He coaxed her legs to a kneeling position before pushing his hips against her. His hardened shaft slid along the lightly oiled skin of her butt before sliding between her thighs.
“Now!” Kagome moaned as she reached one hand up to help guide his manhood into its destination. She gasped and threw back her head as he pushed deeply into her, feeling him pulsing inside her.
Inuyasha pressed himself deeply into her before grabbing her by the hips and rocking back onto his heels. She came to a straddle over his hips with him still deep inside of her. His hands lifted her slightly as they slid from her hips, coming to rest just beneath her thighs. He released and let her slide back down, her body stroking his throbbing shaft with its up and down movement. Inuyasha lifted her again, feeling her take over the motions as she gently pulsed up and down on him. Each movement slid him almost from her and then thrust him back, the movement sending him deep into the warm tightness of her womanhood.
Kagome's breath was coming in gasps as she moved faster over him. Inuyasha brought one hand up and pushed her hair from the back of her neck, letting it cascade across the front of her shoulder as he kissed the top of her shoulders. He moved his fingers across her back and around her side, letting them slide across her breasts. He squeezed gently before taking her nipple between his fingers and rubbing it with a gentle pressure.
Inuyasha's own breathing had quickened as Kagome's body stroked the length of his shaft. He slid his other hand from beneath her to the soft patch of pubic hair between her legs, moving one finger to the nub just above his entrance into her. He began making firm circles across it, adding pressure when he felt she was close to release.
“Inuyasha,” she gasped as she pressed her back into his chest and looked back over her shoulder. He arched his neck to reach her, kissing her deeply as her body began to quiver. She gasped around the kiss as waves of ecstasy escaped her special place and radiated through her entire being.
Inuyasha returned his hands to her hips, guiding her movements as her climax peaked. He rocked his body forward and pushed her back into a kneeling position as he knelt behind her, his hands firmly holding her hips as he slammed into her from behind. His thighs slapped against the back of hers as he thrust himself into her again and again. He could no longer hold back, spilling his own climax into her. He slowed his movements, enjoying the tightness of her body as she clenched around him. He continued slowing, finally coming to a stop deep inside her.
“Ohhh…” Kagome gasped as she felt him slowly withdraw from her. She let her body slide down to the bed and rolled onto her back. Inuyasha moved to lie next to her, taking her into his arms and kissing her long and hard.
“I hope that was okay,” he mumbled.
“More than okay, “ she said as a final quiver shook her body. “I never knew I could feel this good.”
“Then I guess my job is done,” he laughed as he wrapped his arms tightly around her.
“Inuyasha?”
“What?”
“I love you, you know.”
“I know, silly.”
“Inuyasha?” Kagome's voice was growing slurred.
“Yes, I love you, too,” he mumbled as he wrapped himself around her. “You have time to get a little more sleep.”
Kagome answered with a yawn.
 
 
 
 
Kagura sighed as she stood on the balcony and looked into the distance. The sun was just rising, and it was already burning away the light fog that lifted from the river beyond the palace grounds. She closed her eyes and tilted her head to catch the slight breeze that carried inland from the river. The day promised to be hot, but for the moment the temperature was tolerable.
The wind user had taken it upon herself to move her quarters from the dark recesses of the lower levels of the palace to the open, airy room she stood in near the pharaoh's personal quarters. Naraku had kept her hidden while he ruled. With his destruction came her freedom, and she was determined to take advantage of it.
The sound of movement just beyond her doorway caught her attention. By now she was used to the sound of palace servants and guards moving through the corridors, but the rustling sound of feet stopped just outside her door. She could hear the sound of metal against metal as a loud knocking sounded through her room.
“The Pharaoh demands your presence,” a rough voice shouted through the heavy wood.
The pharaoh demands? Kagura snorted softly as she continued to lean against the cool stone of a pillar. The breeze was already dying down and she shook her head slightly. She might as well go and see what the pharaoh wanted of her. Her curiosity of the silver-haired youkai was piqued and she wanted to find out more about him.
“Lady Kagura,” the bodiless voice rasped again. “The Pharaoh demands your presence. Now!”
The wind user walked slowly to the door and paused with her hand half-way to the door handle. “I need to dress first, “ she said sweetly as she glanced at the gown she wore. She had been dressed for hours, but wanted to milk the situation for all it was worth.
“I suggest you hurry,” the gruff voice said from the hallway.
Kagura turned and walked slowly to a low table next to her bed. An array of personal items were fanned out on the flat surface. She picked up a polished metal mirror and examined her reflection. Yes, it would do. Her hair was impeccable, as always, and her cheeks had a pink tint to them from being out in the sun the previous afternoon. She picked up her fan and slid it into the sash that was tied loosely around her waist. She was ready to meet with the new pharaoh.
“It's about time,” one of the guards grunted as Kagura stepped into the corridor beyond her room. By his voice she could tell that he was the same one who had been shouting through her closed door. He had the look of someone who had been through many battles, and who had lived most of his life in the harsh sun of the desert. Three more soldiers stood at attention, obviously the underlings of the rude man who now grasped Kagura's elbow and tried to steer her in the direction of the pharaoh's audience chamber.
The wind user shook off his hand and turned to glare at him. “Do I need to remind you who I am? You will not touch me that way!” she hissed as she glared at the man. “The pharaoh will not be pleased to find that you are treating a member of his court this way.”
The man nodded and bowed slightly. “Forgive me, my lady,” he said without emotion.
Kagura narrowed her eyes at him before turning and walking ahead of the guards down the hallway. She could hear the four men fall into step behind her and smiled. She would set the pace of their movement as she gradually slowed to a casual stroll.
“My lady,” the head soldier said impatiently as he almost ran into her from behind. “The Pharaoh did make it clear that we should hurry.”
Kagura smiled to herself and maintained her slow walk. She would reach the audience chamber soon enough. Her entrance would have more impact if she didn't rush at the pharaoh's command.
“My lady,” the guard started as they reached the heavy wooden doors leading to Sesshoumaru.
Two additional soldiers stood at attention on each side of the doorway. They nodded to the gruff man and moved to open the doors. Kagura maintained a bored expression as she slowly walked past the men and entered the darkened chamber beyond.
“You're late,” Jaken whined as he ushered the wind user to the raised dais of the throne.
Sesshoumaru studied Kagura's approach through half-opened eyes. The pharaoh reclined on the throne, his long hair falling to the floor behind the ornate chair, and his long, fluffy boa dragging on the smooth marble to his side.
“Kagura's here,” Jaken said nervously as he glanced from the wind user to the new pharaoh.
“You can go,” Sesshoumaru said in a low, monotone voice as he shifted to lean forward in his seat. Only his eyes betrayed the fact that he continued to study the wind user as she bowed slightly at the foot of the stairway leading to his perch.
“What, my lord?” Jaken's voice shook as he groveled to the pharaoh and quickly retreated up the path Kagura had taken coming into the room.
The heavy wooden doors closed noisily behind the toad-like youkai, who mumbled to himself about not being appreciated. He snapped a vague order to one of the guards, trying his best to appear dignified. The men glanced at each other, doing their best to keep straight faces as the short, green servant of their pharaoh rambled incoherently.
Sesshoumaru tilted his head slightly. “You were told to come immediately.”
“Forgive me, my lord,” Kagura said with a sly smile. “A lady needs time to dress and prepare for an audience with someone such as yourself.”
“You needed no time.” Sesshoumaru leaned back into the throne. “You were already dressed.”
“I don't know what you're talking about…”
“You were seen on the balcony of your room,” the pharaoh said in a low voice. “Sesshoumaru is not used to being kept waiting.”
“Of course, my lord,” Kagura said in a soft voice. “It takes more than clothing to prepare oneself for an audience with their leader.”
Sesshoumaru's eyes shifted to focus on some unseen spot behind the wind user.
“Now that I'm here, I'm wondering what it is I was summoned for, “ she continued.
“Inuyasha,” Sesshoumaru said in a flat voice.
“My lord?”
“You know who Inuyasha is,” the pharaoh said as he shifted forward again.
“Yes, my lord,” Kagura said with a slight nod. “What interest do you have in Inuyasha?”
“My interests are none of your concern,” Sesshoumaru said with an undertone of annoyance. “This Sesshoumaru only wishes to know where Inuyasha is.”
Kagura smiled and tried to look puzzled. Of course, the resemblance between the youkai before her and the hanyou who had freed her from Naraku's control was unmistakable. She found Sesshoumaru's interest in what she assumed was a half-breed, half-brother curious. What would a full youkai such as Sesshoumaru want with someone who was an obvious insult to his lineage.
“Inuyasha should have arrived at his temple by now.”
“Temple? That lowly humans would make a temple to honor a pathetic hanyou is amusing, “ he continued without emotion.
“It makes sense,” Kagura explained. “Look at the deities of the land. Surely these humans feel honored to be in the presence of someone they see as a god.”
Sesshoumaru grunted slightly. “You will keep an eye on Inuyasha. You will report to me if he leaves his temple.”
“Of course, my lord,” the wind user said with a slight bow.
Kagura stood silently for a moment, waiting for the pharaoh to speak. Sesshoumaru remained silent. He appeared to be thinking.
“My lord?”
“That will be all,” he said as he waved one hand slightly towards the chamber's doors.
He's dismissing me? Just like that? “Of course, my lord,” the wind user said with a hint of sarcasm.
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes. “It would not be wise to anger your pharaoh,” he warned as he watched Kagura walk slowly from his audience chamber.
“If he thinks he can summon and dismiss me at a whim, he's mistaken”, Kagura thought to herself as she brushed past Jaken and the palace guards. She had endured Naraku as her pharaoh. She was not going to allow this new pharaoh the same privilege. If nothing else, she owed Inuyasha and the others a debt for ridding her of Naraku. No, she refused to be nothing more than a convenience to Sesshoumaru. If he wanted a servant - a slave - there were plenty of them at the palace already. She would have to find a way to make sure he treated her with the dignity she deserved.
“My lady? Is something wrong?” the gruff soldier said with a hint of humor in his voice. It was obvious that Kagura wasn't happy with her audience with the pharaoh. That would show the woman not to take orders lightly.
“Wrong?” Kagura turned slowly and cocked her head as she smiled at the man. “Of course, not, “ she said in a soft voice as she turned and walked back to her room. She made certain to hold herself with dignity as she disappeared from the view of the soldiers.
“Damn you, Sesshoumaru,” she mumbled to herself as she closed her chamber door behind her. She tossed her fan onto the ornate bed and returned to the balcony. A glance told her that the balcony was in sight of Sesshoumaru's room. No wonder he knew she was already dressed. So, did that mean he had been watching her earlier? The wind user smiled and made herself comfortable against a pillar in the shade of the balcony.
The day promised to be very hot, and she was going to be sure to catch any breeze she could as she let her thoughts drift back to the mysterious new pharaoh. She would have to watch him closely.
 
 
 
“Kagome,” Inuyasha whispered as he nudged his priestess awake. Sunlight streamed through the narrow windows high on the walls of their room.
“What?” Kagome squirmed and stretched.
“It's time to get up,” the hanyou said as he prodded her again. “The workmen are already here, and it's going to be getting noisy soon.”
Kagome opened her eyes and looked up at Inuyasha. He bent over her, his hair falling in a curtain around their faces as he leaned forward to kiss her.
“Hmmmm…” The priestess slid her arms around her deity's neck, pulling him to her for another kiss.
“We need to get up, “ he said disappointedly. “The priests warned me yesterday that we will probably get the first of the worshippers coming to the temple today. If you want to get a bath, we're going to have to get to the river early.”
Bath. The word sounded wonderful to Kagome, but she found herself unwilling to release her hold on Inuyasha. “Just a few minutes,” she complained as she arched her neck and kissed him gently on his neck.
“You mean you didn't get your fill earlier?” Inuyasha pulled her to him and kissed her deeply. “Unfortunately, we aren't going to have time now. I can smell food - our breakfast is coming.”
“We can always skip breakfast,” Kagome suggested as Inuyasha pulled her up to sit next to him on the bed.
“You're going to need the food,” he said as he stood and retrieved his rumpled kilt from the floor next to the bed. “There's still a lot of work to be done at the village, and now we're going to have to deal with all these worshippers.”
“They're coming to pay tribute to you,” the priestess reminded him as she grabbed her gown and slid it on. She slid her legs over the side of the bed and stood up, finding herself shaky from the previous day's exertion.
“Be careful,” Inuyasha said as he rushed to her side and put a supporting arm around her.
“I'm all right, “ she insisted. “I just stood up too quickly.”
“No, you need to eat. You hardly had any food yesterday, and between being out in the sun and doing all that work, you need your nourishment.”
“I should get dizzy more often,” she giggled as she slid her own arms around Inuyasha and hugged him.
“No you shouldn't,” he said with concern. “I'm going to be sure you eat right today. I'm not going to let my woman get sick just because she won't take care of herself.”
“'Your woman.' I like the sound of that.”
A loud pounding on the front door of the temple interrupted them.
“Time for you to eat,” Inuyasha said as he grabbed her robe from the corner of the bed. “We'll get you a bath just as soon as we get some food inside you.”
Kagome tightened her sash and followed Inuyasha into the main chamber. She retrieved several torches and lit them from a burning oil lamp as the silver-haired deity took down the locking bar and pushed open one of the large temple doors.
The visiting priests stood outside, each carrying part of their meal. The head priest bowed his head towards Inuyasha. “We have brought your breakfast, my lord.”
“Good, “ the deity said as he moved away from the door and motioned them in.
“I thought you would want to know, “ the priest started as he moved to place the bowl he carried on the low stone altar. “A short while after you left the village yesterday, several travelers arrived. They are here to pay homage to you, my lord, and should be coming to the temple later today.”
“Damn, “ Inuyasha grumbled as he watched Houjou place a covered pot next to the other food. “There's a lot of work left at the village.”
“My lord, “ the priest said as he watched Kagome prepare four plates of food. “I have been asked to tell you that the people of the village are very grateful for the work you've done. In one day, you have completed more work than all the workers could have done in weeks. Just the beams you cut and transported have made it possible for the rest of the work to be completed quickly by the regular workers.”
“Thank you.” The priest smiled at Kagome as she handed him a plate of food before returning his attention to Inuyasha. “They are concerned that they have taken you away from your temple long enough, and that with the large number of visiting worshippers you will be receiving, that your presence will be needed at your temple more than at the village.”
“Feh,” Inuyasha grunted. “If I'm needed in the village, the worshipers will just have to wait.”
The head priest glanced at Houjou. “We thought you might say that, but I feel it necessary to convince you to remain at your temple for now. While the visitors that have arrived are from relatively close towns and villages, it's only a matter of time before you receive those who have traveled a much longer distance. My personal feeling is that your place is here at the temple at this time.”
Kagome placed a hand on Inuyasha's arm. “Perhaps for the first few days, Inuyasha could receive the visitors at the village. That way, we can continue to help with the rebuilding and won't have to deny the worshippers a chance to pay tribute to Inuyasha.”
The head priest nodded. “That could work - at least for a while. Once we get in the more affluent guests, I'm assuming they will expect to greet you here at the temple.”
“The village does need more work,” Houjou suggested, “especially if there will be that many people coming soon.”
Inuyasha slid his hand to Kagome's and squeezed hers lightly. “I wish I could just put out a statue to greet the guests,” he whispered.
“How long do you think this will last?” the priestess asked of their guests.
“I really don't know,” the head priest said with a shake of his head. “In all my life I've never heard of another living deity, and with the commotion over Inuyasha defeating the false pharaoh, you'll definitely going to have to expect a lot of people, and for quite some time.”
Houjou nodded in agreement. “Perhaps we should set some limits on what times the worshippers can come to the temple.”
“Limits?” Kagome furrowed her brow as she thought. “Oh, like only mornings, or only certain days.”
Houjou nodded. “I wouldn't suggest having Inuyasha greet his worshippers only on certain days, since many of them will be coming from a long distance, and the village is already going to be hard-pressed to put everyone up.”
The head priest scratched his head. “Perhaps having the temple only open in the morning would be good, since it would get people back to the village before the hottest part of the day.”
Inuyasha grunted. “There are still going to be a lot of people. I don't like having a lot of strangers around. It makes me nervous.”
The head priest nodded to nobody in particular. “Of course, by the time the largest number of worshippers come through, you should have your regular temple priest back, too.”
Miroku. Why did the thought of having that perverted priest around make Inuyasha feel less nervous? Of course, it was because Miroku had a way with people, and could smooth any ruffled feathers that Inuyasha might cause. Yes, having Miroku back would be the best thing for dealing with swarms of strangers.
“How much longer do you think it will be before the others return?” Kagome asked as she retrieved plates from the others.
The head priest shrugged. “That is going to depend on how fast they can travel with all they have to bring. The morticians felt that it wouldn't take long to prepare Kikyou's body to be returned to her tomb, since the only thing they really have to do is rewrap her remains and seal them with resin. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to have her ready to move. My concerns are more with the other items. I'm not sure how much was received in the way of offerings, but I have a feeling it will take quite a few carts and men to transport everything back to your temple.”
“Hopefully Miroku and the others will come ahead,” Kagome suggested. “Most of the donations won't be needed right away.”
“Kikyou,” Inuyasha mumbled.
“I'm sure they'll bring her back with them,” the head priest suggested. “You're probably right about the other items, though. They can make their way more slowly. But, it would be best to have Miroku back as quickly as possible. He is the temple's priest, after all, and the villagers will be more comfortable with him back in charge of things.”
“Some of the villagers,” Inuyasha whispered. “I'm not sure most of the women would agree with our guest here.”
Kagome covered her mouth to hide her smile. It was good to see Inuyasha keeping his sense of humor, despite the fact that she knew he was extremely nervous about the idea of dealing with so many strangers. The short time he accepted visitors back at the temple of Osiris had been difficult enough. The priestess could only hope that he'd be more comfortable at his own temple.
“Let's just hope Miroku thinks the same way we do,” the priestess said.
 
 
 
Inuyasha watched as the visiting priests and his priestess stepped into the sunlight before pulling the heavy doors of the temple closed behind them. He glanced at the workmen, who had finished the pillar and were busy crafting the statue of Kagome.
“If anyone comes to the temple, you should direct them back to the village,” the head priest said. The foreman nodded and said something inaudible over the sound of chisels on stone.
“Kagome and I are going to the river first, “ Inuyasha explained to their visitors. “We'll meet you in the village in a little bit.
The deity and priestess turned and walked in the direction of the river as the priests started making their way back across the desert to the small village. The air was still and very hot, and it only promised to get worse as the sun climbed further in the sky.
“I'm bringing you back early today,” Inuyasha said as he slid his arm around Kagome.
“I said I'll be all right,” the priestess complained.
The silver-haired deity smiled and pulled Kagome to him for a quick kiss. “I'm not going to be happy if you fall asleep on me again tonight, “ he murmured in her ear.
Kagome responded by blushing.
 
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome arrived at the village, only to be greeted immediately by the two visiting priests.
“We've taken the liberty of setting up a place for you to greet your worshippers, my lord,” the head priest said as he indicated a small building across the dirt road. “It's not large, but should serve the purpose,” he explained as he led the deity and priestess into the dark interior of what appeared to be a new storeroom.
Two chairs had been set up on one end of the rectangular room. A number of lamps were lit and their flickering light struggled against the glare of sunlight that streamed through the open doorway. Several potted palms had been moved into the building in an attempt to mimic the stone pillars of a real temple.
Kagome glanced around. “This should work out fine,” she said as she glanced at Inuyasha.
The deity looked annoyed, but managed to mumble something that sounded affirmative. The priestess slid her hand into his and gave it a gentle squeeze.
“Remember, this won't take long,” she reminded her deity.
“Feh,” Inuyasha mumbled. “Maybe not long today, but what about when all the strangers start coming through?”
“I'll be right by your side the entire time,” Kagome said as she stood on her toes and brushed his cheek with a quick kiss. “It'll be all right.”
“When will the first people be here?” the deity grunted.
“Actually, my lord, I believe they're already here.” The head priest stepped out into the street and greeted a small gathering of people. He spoke quietly with the group before leading a man and woman into the building.
“I really hate this part,” Inuyasha mumbled to Kagome as they sat down in the make-shift thrones.
 
 
 
Inuyasha's audience with the visiting worshippers was over quickly. The small group had been quiet and polite. It was obvious that the presence of the living deity had them in awe. Kagome recognized several of them from her previous visits to the village.
“Many of the first worshippers to arrive will be from neighboring villages,” the head priest explained after leading the last of the worshippers out of the make-shift temple. “They probably have family and friends here, so I suspect there won't be much business at the inn for a few days.”
Kagome nodded. Inuyasha only grunted, obviously glad to have the ordeal of greeting so many strangers over.
“Are you sure we can't just put out one of those damned statues of me for these things?”
His priestess leaned over and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek. “It's not that bad,” she said in a reassuring voice. “Besides, I'm right here, and Miroku should be back before the big crowds start coming.”
“Big crowds,” Inuyasha repeated with a snort. “Like today wasn't bad enough!”
“You are a deity,” the head priest reminded him. “They only come to pay tribute to you, my lord.”
“I know,” the silver-haired hanyou replied. He reached over and took Kagome's hand. “I wouldn't be able to make it through this without you here,” he whispered as he returned her kiss.
Houjou averted his eyes and shuffled his feet nervously.
The head priest smiled sadly at his underling's unease. The young priest's feelings for the priestess had been obvious for a long time.
“Well, if we are no longer needed, perhaps Houjou and I can find some lunch before we start working at our stations.”
Inuyasha responded with an inaudible grunt, but the wave of his hand let the priests know they were dismissed. Houjou, in particular, seemed happy to be away from his duties there, although he was unable to resist a final glance. He sighed when he saw the deity pull his priestess into his lap.
“There's no way you can compete with that,” the older priest said as he slapped Houjou lightly on the back. “But, the bright side is that we should be returning to our regular duties soon, and I know of at least three beautiful young priestesses there who are going to be vying for your attention.”
Houjou smiled shyly and blushed as the two men made their way to the inn.
 
 
 
“You're going to have to promise me you won't overdo it today,” Inuyasha said sternly as he wrapped his arms around Kagome and pulled her against him. “I'm going to need you with all these people coming to the temple.” He shook his head. “I really hate this part of being a deity.”
Kagome laughed and circled her arms around his neck. “I promise I won't overdo it,” she said solemnly. “I also promise that you won't have to endure this for long. People are fickle, and they'll lose interest soon enough. I'm sure their attention will be turned to the pharaoh's palace very soon, and you'll be lucky to have anyone other than the people from this village coming to pay tribute to you”.
Inuyasha lifted Kagome in his arms as he stood up. He kissed her gently before lowering her feet to the floor. “I'm holding you to both of those promises,” he said as he pulled her to him for another kiss.
“We should probably get busy,” Kagome reminded him as she hugged him. “There's a lot to be done, and you did say you wanted to get back to the temple early.”
“We won't have the place to ourselves for too much longer, “ he said with a hint of mischief. “Once Miroku and Sango are back, we're going to be stuck in our room at night.”
Kagome blushed and buried her face against him. “And, you think that's a bad thing?”
“It just means the altar will be off limits for us,” Inuyasha said with a sly grin.
“Inuyasha!”
“We should get busy,” he said as he released his hold on Kagome. “The sooner we're done here, the sooner we can get back to the temple, you know.”
“You, my lord, have a one track mind,” the priestess said as she blushed.
“You are my wife, after all,” he reminded Kagome. “There are certain privileges that come with that fact, and after having to deal with all this deity-garbage today, I plan on taking advantage of them.”
“I think Miroku's perverted ways are rubbing off on you,” Kagome giggled.
“I haven't heard any complaints from you,” Inuyasha returned as he tilted her face to his for one last kiss.
 
 
 
Inuyasha's audience with the visiting worshippers was over quickly. The small group had been quiet and polite. It was obvious that the presence of the living deity had them in awe. Kagome recognized several of them from her previous visits to the village.
“Many of the first worshippers to arrive will be from neighboring villages,” the head priest explained after leading the last of the worshippers out of the make-shift temple. “They probably have family and friends here, so I suspect there won't be much business at the inn for a few days.”
Kagome nodded. Inuyasha only grunted, obviously glad to have the ordeal of greeting so many strangers over.
“Are you sure we can't just put out one of those damned statues of me for these things?”
His priestess leaned over and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek. “It's not that bad,” she said in a reassuring voice. “Besides, I'm right here, and Miroku should be back before the big crowds start coming.”
“Big crowds,” Inuyasha repeated with a snort. “Like today wasn't bad enough!”
“You are a deity,” the head priest reminded him. “They only come to pay tribute to you, my lord.”
“I know,” the silver-haired hanyou replied. He reached over and took Kagome's hand. “I wouldn't be able to make it through this without you here,” he whispered as he returned her kiss.
Houjou averted his eyes and shuffled his feet nervously.
The head priest smiled sadly at his underling's unease. The young priest's feelings for the priestess had been obvious for a long time.
“Well, if we are no longer needed, perhaps Houjou and I can find some lunch before we start working at our stations.”
Inuyasha responded with an inaudible grunt, but the wave of his hand let the priests know they were dismissed. Houjou, in particular, seemed happy to be away from his duties there, although he was unable to resist a final glance. He sighed when he saw the deity pull his priestess into his lap.
“There's no way you can compete with that,” the older priest said as he slapped Houjou lightly on the back. “But, the bright side is that we should be returning to our regular duties soon, and I know of at least three beautiful young priestesses there who are going to be vying for your attention.”
Houjou smiled shyly and blushed as the two men made their way to the inn.
 
 
 
“You're going to have to promise me you won't overdo it today,” Inuyasha said sternly as he wrapped his arms around Kagome and pulled her against him. “I'm going to need you with all these people coming to the temple.” He shook his head. “I really hate this part of being a deity.”
Kagome laughed and circled her arms around his neck. “I promise I won't overdo it,” she said solemnly. “I also promise that you won't have to endure this for long. People are fickle, and they'll loose interest soon enough. I'm sure their attention will be turned to the pharaoh's palace very soon, and you'll be lucky to have anyone other than the people from this village coming to pay tribute to you”.
Inuyasha lifted Kagome in his arms as he stood up. He kissed her gently before lowering her feet to the floor. “I'm holding you to both of those promises,” he said as he pulled her to him for another kiss.
“We should probably get busy,” Kagome reminded him as she hugged him. “There's a lot to be done, and you did say you wanted to get back to the temple early.”
“We won't have the place to ourselves for too much longer, “ he said with a hint of mischief. “Once Miroku and Sango are back, we're going to be stuck in our room at night.”
Kagome blushed and buried her face against him. “And, you think that's a bad thing?”
“It just means the altar will be off limits for us,” Inuyasha said with a sly grin.
“Inuyasha!”
“We should get busy,” he said as he released his hold on Kagome. “The sooner we're done here, the sooner we can get back to the temple, you know.”
“You, my lord, have a one track mind,” the priestess said as she blushed.
“You are my wife, after all,” he reminded Kagome. “There are certain privileges that come with that fact, and after having to deal with all this deity-garbage today, I plan on taking advantage of them.”
“I think Miroku's perverted ways are rubbing off on you,” Kagome giggled.
“I haven't heard any complaints from you,” Inuyasha returned as he tilted her face to his for one last kiss.
 
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome made their way to the inn, where they saw the visiting priests eating their lunches.
“Should we ask to sit with them?”
Inuyasha looked at Kagome. “That might not be the best idea. I don't like the way that Houjou looks at you.”
Kagome slid her hand into his and squeezed lightly. “He's a friend. That's all.”
“Well, that's not all he wants you do be,” Inuyasha said as he glanced back at the young priest.
“Let's just sit over here,” Kagome suggested as she tugged on his hand and led him to a table across the room from the visiting priests. A server approached them nervously.
“Can I get some food for you?”
The priestess smiled and asked for a light lunch. She turned back to the deity as the girl hurried away with their order.
“Remember, you promised you would take it easy,” Inuyasha reminded her.
“I promised that I wouldn't overdo things. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do my share of work.”
“I want you to stay out of the sun, too,” the silver-haired deity said as the server brought them a platter of food.
“I've lived in the desert all my life…” Kagome started.
“But, you aren't used to spending the whole day in the sun. I don't want you to get burned again.”
“I promise I'll stay in the shade as much as possible,” the young priestess said as she reached for a piece of fruit.
The two ate in relative silence, finishing their food quickly before heading back to the hard dirt street outside.
“You don't need to walk me there, “ Kagome said as Inuyasha followed her to the first aid area.
“It's on my way, “ he grunted. “Besides, I'm not going to see you for the rest of the afternoon. Is there a problem with me wanting to stay with you as long as possible now?”
“No,” Kagome said as she pushed up onto her toes and kissed his lightly on his lips. “No problem at all. In fact, I like it.”
Inuyasha noticed several of the villagers looking at them and suddenly felt self-conscious. “Get to work,” he instructed as he turned to head back up the street. He stopped and turned to watch Kagome enter the low building, avoiding the smiles directed at him by the onlookers. Didn't they have something better to do than spy on him and his woman?
 
 
 
The afternoon passed quickly. Inuyasha stayed busy, helping with the construction of new homes while Kagome gravitated between the first aid building and a second building set up as a day care for the workers who had small children. She looked up in surprise when Inuyasha walked in. She had been singing to a crying infant, who was now sleeping contentedly in her arms. The priestess smiled at her deity, who looked at her with an unreadable expression.
“Is something wrong?”
Inuyasha shook his head. “You look… it's nothing.”
Kagome glanced down at the child and smiled. “I love babies.”
The deity's expression remained unchanged, but he seemed unable to take his eyes from the priestess and her ward.
“Kagome.” A young woman approached them and offered to take the sleeping child. “You've been a great help today. More of us can work when we have someone to watch our children, after all.” The woman bowed to Inuyasha before taking the sleeping child from Kagome's arms.
“Does that mean you can leave?”
Kagome nodded to Inuyasha. “You did say you wanted to get back early, and it's nearly dinner time.”
“Let's get you some food, then,” he said as he watched Kagome stand up and brush off her gown. He put his hand lightly on her arm and guided her out into the sunlight.
The inn was busy - it was dinner time and most of the tables were filled. A server approached Inuyasha and Kagome and led them to an empty table in a corner of the room. A small potted palm tree acted as a screen, giving them some privacy from the crowd. The room was noisy and several servers hurried from table to table, bringing food and taking orders. One approached the deity and priestess, and quickly left to get food for them.
“I can't believe how much work has been done since the flood,” Kagome commented as she poured water for them from a pitcher on the table. “The villagers have really come together.”
Inuyasha lifted his cup and drank its contents in one long drink. The priestess quickly filled it again when he placed it on the table.
“That's what I liked about the village when I first came here. The people here get along. They made me feel welcome.”
Kagome nodded and smiled as the server returned with their meal. “I've noticed that. I grew up in the city of the pharaoh, and while the priests and others at the temple are close, the other people in the city seem so distant.”
“I don't like crowds,” Inuyasha admitted.
“I noticed,” his priestess laughed. “Actually, I prefer it here in the village over the city. It's like everyone here is part of the same family. Everyone helps each other.”
Inuyasha grunted his agreement as he bit into a chunk of cheese. The two finished their food quickly and stopped by the table where the priests were sitting. An open jug of wine was nearly empty as the two talked over their meal.
“We'll be back in the morning, “ Kagome promised.
The head priest stood awkwardly and bowed to Inuyasha. His speech was slightly slurred as he bid them farewell. Houjou kept his eyes focused on the table in front of him.
“Let's get going,” Inuyasha whispered as he placed his hand on Kagome's elbow and pulled her with him towards the door. He waited until they were on the outskirts of the village before bending down and instructing Kagome to get on his back.
“We'll get back to the temple faster this way.”
Kagome took her place as the deity gripped her thighs, making sure she was secure before he stood up and began to run across the desert.
 
 
 
They arrived at the temple just as the workers were finishing up for the day. The statue of Kagome was nearly complete, with only the details of her face and hair needed to finish the work. The men were carefully removing the debris from around the base of the statue when the foreman approached Inuyasha and Kagome.
“Forgive me, my lord. I am not trying to be rude, but I would like to study Kagome's features for a moment to be sure I have them right for the statue.”
Inuyasha glanced at Kagome and grunted. He moved to recline against the nearest pillar as the man took the priestess's head in his hands and studied the line or her jaw. He mumbled to himself, making mental notes about the shape of her face and the angle of her nose. He finished quickly and bowed to Inuyasha.
“I thank you for your patience, my lord. I only wish to do justice to your lady.”
The deity shrugged as he turned and pushed open the temple door.
Kagome bid farewell to the workers before following Inuyasha into the main chamber of the temple. “You could at least try to be more pleasant,” she chided.
“I don't like the way he was looking at you,” Inuyasha grumbled.
“He was only studying my features for the statue,” Kagome reminded him.
“I still don't like it.”
The priestess glanced out the door. “It's still light. Do we have time for a bath?”
 
 
 
The two returned from the river a short time later, clean and refreshed after working hard all day. As they approached the temple, Inuyasha put out his hand, blocking Kagome's path.
“Why'd you do that?”
“Someone's at the temple,” he explained as he lifted his nose to the air and sniffed. “It's not those priests or the workmen, or anyone else I've met before.”
“It's probably just some worshippers who missed the audience with you this morning.”
“I don't think so,” he said as he shook his head. “I hear the sound of armor.”
“Armor?”
The deity glanced around, making sure nobody was within sight. “Stay here a minute,” he ordered as he slowly walked in the direction of the temple. “I'll make sure it's all right.”
Kagome nodded and froze where she stood. She watched as Inuyasha crept towards the back of the temple before jumping silently to the roof. He disappeared from her view.
Inuyasha peered over the edge of the temple roof, watching the two soldiers who sat on the sand near the entrance. They were dirty and had obviously been in the sun frequently, as their skin was dark from tan. Their armor clanged as they shifted, the metal rubbing against more metal. Their weapons were sheathed, and from their conversation, they appeared to be harmless.
“I wonder how long they'll be gone?” the first soldier asked of nobody in particular.
“Can you believe that Naraku is really gone? I always wondered about him, with his airs and trying to be all mysterious and everything.” The second one leaned back on one elbow, using his free hand to remove a skin of water from his waist. He sat up again, loosening the plug that held the water in and then tilting his head back and letting the cool liquid pour over his face.
“You're wasting that,” the first soldier said.
“There's a well, you idiot, “ the second one quipped. “Damn, I need a bath.” He lifted one arm and tucked his face under it, taking a whiff of his own stench before wrinkling up his nose. “We're not quite properly dressed to call on a deity, you know.”
“Yeah, what are we going to do about it? It's not like we've been living at the palace, you know.”
The two men continued their idle chatter, unaware of the silver-haired hanyou who had planted his feet beneath him and jumped to the ground in front of them.
“What the hell?” The first soldier scrambled to his feet, one hand on his weapon as he studied Inuyasha.
The second soldier leapt to his feet as quickly, taking a battle stance while he took in the wild-eyed hanyou who faced him.
“Who are you?” the deity demanded.
“We're here to see the living deity, Inuyasha.” The first soldier relaxed his hold on his weapon. Despite the sudden appearance, the hanyou didn't appear to be a threat.
“What business do you have with him?”
“We have come to pay our respects, and to share with him some information.”
“Information?”
The first soldier narrowed his eyes. “You are Inuyasha, are you not?”
The deity nodded and walked to the corner of the temple. He peered around the corner, waving to Kagome to come to him. The priestess ran quickly to Inuyasha, eyeing the strangers as she came within sight of them.
“These men have come with information of some type,” Inuyasha began.
“Yes, my lord,” the first soldier said. “I am Khui, a captain in Naraku's army. However, we have come to learn of the destruction of Naraku.”
Inuyasha nodded silently.
Khui continued. “We were sent on a journey by Naraku and have only just returned. We heard from other soldiers that Naraku had been destroyed, and that you are the one responsible for his death.”
The deity moved between the men and Kagome. “So, you have come to take revenge on Naraku?”
“No, my lord. You must forgive my friend,” the second soldier said. “I am Setau. I am a lieutenant of Naraku's guards. We served the pharaoh, but had reasons not to be loyal to him.”
“What reasons?” Inuyasha glanced at Kagome, wondering what her thoughts were.
The priestess stepped forward, coming even with her deity.
Setau continued. “We always suspected that Naraku was not what he appeared to be. His treatment of his soldiers and others under him was nothing less than abusive. I thought for sure when he assigned me on this duty for him that I would not survive his wrath for coming back empty handed.”
“And, what were you supposed to bring back to him?” Kagome's interest was piqued, and she eyed the two soldiers, wondering what the rest of their story was.
“Naraku had sent numerous soldiers in search of a magical jewel. Those who returned without it were tortured and slain. Those who did not return…” the man shuddered. “I would not even wish to guess of their fate. What we have seen in the lands to the south are more than even a soldier can bear.”
“Inuyasha, these men have traveled far, and I'm sure they could use something to eat.” Kagome motioned to the door of the temple, which Inuyasha had closed when they left to go to the river.
The hanyou grunted and moved to the door, opening it and standing aside for Kagome to enter first. He followed her and watched as the priestess took an unlit torch from it's holder on the wall and moved to the single lit oil lamp. The end of the torch burst into flame on contact with the flame, and Kagome quickly walked around the room, lighting additional torches before replacing the one she had lit from the lamp. The two soldiers had followed them inside and stood silently just inside the heavy wooden doors.
“You men must be hungry,” Kagome said as she walked to the altar and reached beneath it. She brought forth a large wheel of cheese wrapped in oiled cloth, and an uncut loaf of bread. “I'm sure we can find something for you to eat, although it won't be a cooked meal.”
Khui nodded to Setau. “We are visitors of the deity, Inuyasha. It is not our place to eat his food.”
“We have more than we can ever need,” Kagome began as she produced two plates and began cutting chunks of cheese from the wheel. “Please, eat. It's obvious that you have traveled far, and I'm sure you are tired and hungry.”
The men looked at the food and then at each other. Surely if the priestess of the temple was offering them a meal, it would be all right to eat.
“Thank you,” Khui said as he moved forward and took the plate that Kagome offered him. The other soldier quickly retrieved his meal and the two found benches to sit on and began to eat.
Kagome brought out cups and filled them with water, giving each man one. They ate as though they were ravished, emptying their plates and still looking hungry. The priestess cut more cheese and bread and added dried fruit to their plates. The soldiers continued to eat, feasting on their first real meal in weeks.
After a time the men slowed, each leaving the remains of something on their plates. Kagome gathered the dishes and stacked them on the altar. She glanced at Inuyasha, wondering what the deity was thinking.
“Now that you have eaten, perhaps you can tell us this information you have for us,” he began in a low, monotone voice.
Khui nodded. “My lord, as I have already said, we questioned the leadership of Naraku. His ways were not those of a pharaoh. He seemed only interested in finding this legendary jewel, and gaining what power it is supposed to possess.”
“Legendary jewel?” Inuyasha laughed softly. “Surely this is a joke. Naraku would never have fallen for a fable like that.”
“It is not a fable, my lord,” Setau said. “I know there have always been legends and rumors about things outside our normal world. I agree with you that most are of no consequence. However, after being to the lands to the south, it is my honest opinion that this mysterious jewel is real. What we have seen and heard leave me no doubt that there is truth to the legend.”
“Naraku himself believed it, “ Khui continued. “He had been sending soldiers to the lands of the southern tribes for years, having them search for this jewel for him. Most of the men never returned. Those who did were subjected to Naraku's anger. They were tortured and killed in the most horrible ways.”
“Few of Naraku's guard were truly loyal to him. Most served him out of fear. Fear for themselves, and for their families. Naraku was not a forgiving pharaoh. I've seen things at the palace that are rivaled only by what I have seen in the southern lands.”
“This jewel, “ Kagome asked. “What exactly is it? What is it supposed to do?”
“The jewel contains the soul of a powerful priestess, who battled evil beings from another world. The jewel is supposed to give power to whoever possesses it, which is why Naraku wanted it for himself.”
“I've heard stories of this jewel,” the priestess continued. “My grandfather has been a priest at the temple of Osiris in the city of the pharaoh for many years. He believes this jewel really exists. It's called by the name Shikon no Tama. Nobody alive has ever seen it, though.”
Khui took a long drink from his water cup before continuing. “Naraku is not the only one searching for the jewel, either. There are those from the southern lands who seek it, too. They will stop at nothing to find it. What we have seen would give even the bravest soldier nightmares.”
“What exactly have you seen?” Inuyasha asked.
“Men's heads mounted on wooden stakes after their bodies were devoured by dog-like animals. It is said that the leader of the southern tribe is a barbarian, and that he guts his enemies and eats their entrails. After what we have seen, I believe the stories.”
Kagome shook her head. “How could anyone be so barbaric? I have heard that the southern tribes are not civilized, but to act so much like animals goes beyond words.”
“My lady, I can only hope you are never subjected to the sights we have seen. Between Naraku's acts and those of the ones to the south, I will never be able to sleep again without nightmares.”
The priestess glanced at Inuyasha, trying to read his reaction. His face remained without show of emotion, but she could see him clenching his hands. A small trickle of blood flowed from the spot where one of his long claws dug into his palm. He was oblivious to the blood, or to the pain.
“Someone has to stop them,” he muttered. “If that jewel falls into the wrong hands…”
Kagome swallowed hard. The thought of what could happen to their wonderful land if the leader of the barbarians was able to gain such power made her stomach turn. She had heard enough about the attacks the southern tribes had launched on the southern-most villages of their land. She had seen the scars of those who survived, and heard tales of those who didn't.
“What can anyone do?”
“Someone has to do something, “ the deity said in a voice choked with emotion.
The soldiers stood. “My lord,” Khui began. “It was not our intention to upset you. We only felt that you should know what was going on, since your temple is not far from the southern edge of our land. The attacks have been moving gradually, finding villages more and more to the north.”
“Those damned barbarians better not try coming here, “ the deity growled.
“We only wished to warn you, my lord,” Setau added. “That, and to thank you for ridding us of Naraku. My family has served the pharaoh's palace for as long as anyone can remember, but never has any pharaoh treated his people the way Naraku did. You did a great service to our land, ridding us of him.”
Kagome glanced at Inuyasha. “My lord, “ she began in a quiet voice. “These men have traveled far, and it is late. We should offer them a place to stay for the night.”
“Here?” Inuyasha looked at the low altar for a moment before looking back at Kagome. “It's not too late for them to go to the village.”
“My lord,” the priestess continued. “The hour is late, and they are weary. It seems only fitting that we invite them to stay. They have brought with them information that may help your people, after all.”
Inuyasha growled softly and shrugged. “You are welcome to stay here the night,” he offered in a voice void of enthusiasm.
“Thank you, my lord, “ Khui said. “Your priestess is right. We have traveled far, and it has been the most difficult journey. Your hospitality is very much appreciated by us, and we promise to be gone at first light.”
The deity shrugged and looked at Kagome. His priestess smiled and placed her hand on his arm. “Miroku won't be back for several days. It's not like tonight was our only night alone at the temple.”
“That doesn't make me feel any better,” Inuyasha grumbled. He looked wistfully at the altar and stood. “I'll bring out some cots, and Kagome will find anything else you need for the night.”
“Thank you, my lord.”
 
 
 
Kagome followed Inuyasha into their private chamber, holding a lit torch in one hand. She quickly lit a single oil lamp next to their bed and slid the torch into a holder on the wall across the room.
“I'm sorry, Inuyasha,” Kagome said as she returned to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. “It is just for the one night.”
“One night. I have a feeling this is going to be a very long night.”
“We'll just have to make up for it tomorrow, “ she said as she kissed his neck.
Inuyasha scooped Kagome up and carried her to the bed. At least he could hold her while she slept, although it was hardly a compensation for what he'd be missing.
The priestess snuggled against him as he pulled a sheet over them. “Good night, my lord,” she whispered.
“Yeah, and just what's so good about it?”
“I love you, Inuyasha.” Kagome slid her arms around him and rested her head on his chest.
The hanyou pulled her more tightly to him, enjoying the feel of her softness against his bare chest. He buried his face in her hair and inhaled her scent as she relaxed in his arms. “I love you, too,” he mumbled.
Within moments, she was asleep.
Inuyasha lay awake for a long while, wondering about the information the soldiers had brought with them. Just what impact would the news have on his temple and it's village? He was their protector, after all. And, there was one thing he was sure of. He would never allow anyone to harm Kagome.
“I'll protect you always,” he whispered in the ear of the sleeping priestess.