InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.
Please note - for some reason, chapters of fanfics I uploaded to Mediaminer lose their formatting on upload, despite the fact that I am using the same word processing program I always do and saving the file the same way. If the formatting is not correct, it is due to the upload and not in the original file. I work from an older MacIntosh and there is an incompatibility between the programming used by MM.org and my computer.
You can find some amazing fanart to go with the story at totd.deviantart.com. Be sure to check out the monthly contests for fanart from the story at my page - urd-chan.deviantart.com.
 
Temple of the Dog - Chapter 23
By Urd-chan
 
Inuyasha gently lifted Kagome and eased her onto the bed next to him, his senses ever alert to the sounds outside the temple. The remainder of the night had passed without incident and the sun would be rising soon. It didn't leave him much time for what he needed to do.
Miroku jerked awake when Inuyasha rapped on the doorframe to his room. “Is something wrong, my lord?” he asked as he secured a fresh kilt around his waist and shuffled into the main chamber.
“Open the door,” Inuyasha instructed as he turned and moved to the casks of oil reserved for the temple's lamps. He hefted two onto his shoulders and joined the priest at the temple's entrance.
The heavy wood creaked as Miroku pushed one door open. He looked back at his deity, one eyebrow raised in unspoken question.
“Get a torch!” Inuyasha moved past him into the darkness outside. He lifted his chin and sniffed the air, following the blood scent that remained on the sand not far from the temple entrance.
Miroku returned quickly to find Inuyasha soaking the blood-stained sand with oil from the casks. He threw first one and then the other vessel behind him as they emptied and then stepped back and grabbed the lit torch from the confused priest. A flick of his wrist sent the burning torch spinning through the air, creating a glowing path to the oil-slicked sand.
Flames erupted, their dancing forms reaching skyward around a column of black smoke that snaked upwards into the darkness. The fire sputtered as it greedily consumed both oil and drying blood. It wasn't long before the heat and light from the fire began to lessen, it's fuel supply quickly exhausted. Soon only scattered patches of dying flame were visible, each extinguishing as the last of the oil burned up.
Inuyasha and Miroku stood silently in the darkness. “Am I allowed to ask what that was all about?” Miroku quipped.
“I'll be damned if I let the smell of those dead wolves attract other things to the temple,” Inuyasha grunted as he moved forward, kicking at the charred sand as he tested the air with his nose. He could smell oil and the carbon smell left behind from the fire, but the blood smell was gone.
“Get the soldiers,” the deity commanded as he circled the blackened sand. He stepped away from the circle and began to throw handfuls of clean sand over the scorched area. Miroku rounded the temple, running until he reached Setne and Hapu's camp. The three returned quickly and took up positions around the burned circle of sand. The sun was just coming up when the last remnant of the fire was covered.
“Thanks,” Miroku said to the tired soldiers. “You are free to return to your camp.”
Setne nodded silently before turning and trudging back to his bedroll and what remained of the night. Hapu mumbled a praise of the deity before him and quickly followed his comrade.
“So, did it work?”
Inuyasha sniffed the air one final time and nodded. “I'll have to check it later, but the smell is gone for now.”
The priest excused himself and returned to the temple, pausing only long enough to splash water from a basin on himself before returning to his room. Inuyasha followed a few moments later, pulling the heavy door of the temple back into place and sliding the locking bar across it. He padded quickly to his room and slid silently into bed next to his priestess. Kagome stirred, but didn't awaken.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Inuyasha?” Kagome wrinkled her nose and looked at her companion. “You're filthy!” she exclaimed as she sat up and studied the soot-covered deity lying next to her on their bed.
The hanyou studied his hands and arms for a moment before turning and giving the priestess a sheepish look. “I didn't think about the dirt.”
“What's going on?”
“I couldn't leave the mess out there for my worshippers to see, now could I?”
“I guess not, but…” Kagome's gaze fell on the patches of ash covering Inuyasha's side of the bed. “You really should have bathed before coming back to bed, though.”
The deity grunted as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and stood up. “Come with me to the river.”
The priestess stretched lazily before slipping out of the bed. She turned back to grasp the soft cotton sheets and pulled them off. “I'll have to wash these while I'm at it.”
“You don't have to do that.”
“It's my job,” Kagome reminded him.
“You're a priestess, not a servant woman,” Inuyasha reminded her as he gathered the bundle of sheets from Kagome and dumped them in a pile near the door. “Get what you need so we can get back before we're swarmed with people.”
“Your worshippers don't swarm,” she chided gently. “Remember that they are here to pay tribute to you. One of these days the crowds are going to stop and then you're going to wish they were back.”
“They may stop coming, but I'll be damned if I wish they'd come back.” Inuyasha held aside the mat covering the door and waited for the priestess to walk through. He moved past her to the temple door. The locking bar had already been removed, although the doors were closed.
“Sango and the boys went down to the river to bathe,” Miroku sighed from his position at the main altar, on which several open scrolls were scattered. “She wouldn't let me go with them.”
“Serves you right,” Inuyasha snickered as he pushed the heavy door open. “We can start walking. They'll probably be finished before we reach the river anyway.”
“I guess it would be pointless to ask if I can follow,” the priest said with a smirk and a shrug.
“Pointless unless you really have a death wish.”
Kagome tried her best to hide her amusement at the banter between deity and priest. “You do realize that nobody would believe me if I told them how you two act,” she giggled.
“What do you mean by that?” Inuyasha grunted.
“You two hardly act like a deity and his priest,” Kagome explained with a laugh. “If I came across two men who acted like you two do, I'd have to guess you were friends, or perhaps even brothers.”
“Humph.” The hanyou looked annoyed as he motioned for his priestess to follow him from the temple. “We do not act like brothers!”
The priestess gave Inuyasha a confused glance. His reaction to her comment had been unexpected and she would have to ask him about it. Later, she told herself when she saw the set of his jaw. Something had angered the deity and she had been with him long enough to know it would be best to let him calm down before she pushed the issue.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Kagome!” Shippou dropped to all fours and bounded to where Kagome stood. The kitsune hurdled himself into her arms, his wet hair and tail splashing Inuyasha in the process.
“Damn it, Shippou!” Inuyasha growled as he wiped water from his eyes. “You're going to hurt Kagome doing that if you're not careful.”
“He's fine,” the priestess said softly as she returned Shippou's hug and then loosened his hold on her. “We're going to bathe,” she explained as she lowered the kitsune to the ground at her feet. “Why don't you go back to the temple with Sango and get things ready for breakfast?”
Shippou responded with a loud growl coming from his stomach. “You don't mind?” he said as he put on his most innocent face.
“Go ahead,” Kagome laughed as she watched Shippou race ahead of the others, his stomach's needs preempting any desire he had to annoy Inuyasha.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Inuyasha paused at the river bank, his head tilted slightly as he sniffed the air. He could feel the hair on the back of his neck rising as he singled out several foreign scents.
“What's wrong?” Kagome asked as stopped next to him.
Inuyasha glanced at her, wondering just how much he should say.
“Well?”
“It's those damned wolves,” he said as he took a step into the river. The cool water swirled around his calves as he turned around to look back at the priestess. “I was sure I got them all, but there must have been more than I thought. Their stink is still strong here.”
Kagome looked around in concern. “How long ago?”
“Don't worry about it,” Inuyasha said as he stepped further into the river and slipped off his kilt. He wadded the soft fabric into a ball and tossed it onto the sand next to Kagome. “Come on in.”
The priestess slipped out of her gown and walked quickly into the water, letting out a surprised squeal when the cool water enveloped her. “The water's cold today!”
“It must have rained up in the mountains,” the deity said as he slid his arms around the shivering priestess. “The water's always coldest when it rains.”
Inuyasha leaned his head towards Kagome's, his mouth almost touching hers. He paused only long enough to pull her chilled body against his before capturing her lips with his own. The warmth of their bodies pressed together contrasted with the cold water that continued to rush around them. Kagome slipped her arms around his neck, her slender fingers weaving through his golden tresses as she eagerly returned his kiss.
The deity broke away from her, motioning in the direction of the temple. “They're waiting for us. We should hurry.”
Kagome nodded wordlessly, her disappointment obvious despite her attempts to hide it. She washed quickly, not noticing that Inuyasha had made his way to the far bank and stood as still as a statue. His only movement was the twitching of his triangular ears as he sniffed the air. He glanced back at the priestess before returning to the water and swimming under its surface to her side.
“We'll have to come back out here tonight,” Kagome said shyly as she slipped into a clean gown and turned to face her husband.
“The water will probably still be too cold.” Inuyasha tied his kilt securely around his waist before retrieving their discarded clothing from the sand. “I wouldn't want you to get sick,” he said as he drew her to him for another kiss.
“We have company!” Miroku's voice carried over the small dune that hid the river bank from the temple.
“What the hell?” Inuyasha rushed to the top of the rise, glaring at his priest. “We have company every day. What…?”
Miroku bowed his head slightly as Kagome joined them on the hill. “I wouldn't have disturbed you if I didn't think the situation warranted it.”
“This had better be good,” the silver-haired deity grumbled as he led the way back to his temple.
Setne and Hapu were talking to what appeared to be two other soldiers. Inuyasha's anger began to build until he noticed that the two strangers weren't dressed the same manner as the other men.
“Ah, here he is,” Setne said as he turned to face the returning group.
“We have visitors,” Hapu added excitedly. “They're here all the way from Greece.”
Inuyasha eyed the strangers, taking in their armor and weapons. They didn't appear dangerous, but he would be sure to watch them closely all the same.
“My lord,” the first foreigner said as he bowed deeply. “So, the rumors are, indeed, true. A deity really is living here in the land of the pharaohs.” His manner reflected a confidence that could have only come with someone in a leadership position. He was short compared to the other men, although his stance and attitude gave him the illusion of height. His skin was fair compared to Setne and Hapu's, a stark contrast to his ebony hair, which hung in a long braid down the middle of his back. He had deep blue eyes which took in everything around him. On his forehead was a purple, cross-shaped mark.
“He's even prettier than we were told,” the second stranger remarked in a strangely feminine voice. He moved closer to Inuyasha and reached out to take a strand of the deity's hair in his hand. He was taller than the first soldier and had his black hair pulled into a knot high on the back of his head. His dark brown eyes were accented with blue stripes that began just below his bottom lashes and trailed to a point in the middle of his cheeks. He was dressed like his companion, except for a purple sash that ran over one shoulder and tucked into the armor at his waist.
Inuyasha snatched his hair from the stranger's hold. “What the fuck do you think you're doing?”
“I apologize for my comrade,” the first soldier said with a warning glance at his companion. “We have traveled a long way from our homeland and I'm afraid he has momentarily forgotten his manners.”
The second stranger eyed Inuyasha, letting his gaze travel up and down the hanyou's body. His eyes lingered momentarily on the filmy kilt that left little to the imagination.
“I'm Bankotsu,” the first soldier said before sending a second warning look to his comrade. “We come from the north, across the great sea, and have come to see for ourselves the wonder of the land's only living deity.”
The second stranger tilted his head and smiled knowingly at the silver-haired hanyou standing before him. “They call me Jakotsu,” he said with what appeared to be a cross between a bow and a curtsey. He lowered his head and looked up through his heavy fringe of eyelashes. “You truly are a wonder to look upon, my lord.” His last words were spoken with an undertone that was impossible to read.
“Damn it, Jakotsu,” Bankotsu muttered under his breath. “Do you really want do die here?”
“I only wish to pay homage to this living wonder,” Jakotsu said with a flourish of one hand. “We have discovered many marvels in our travels, but never one so…” He paused long enough to slide his tongue slowly over his upper lip while he let his gaze travel across Inuyasha's form. “One so perfect.”
Inuyasha glared at the stranger, his hands clutched tightly into fists as he absorbed the words and their underlying meaning. He planted his feet shoulder width apart and turned squarely to face the insulting stranger.
“Ah, that the customs and manners of different lands should be so apparent,” Miroku started as he placed a warning hand on Inuyasha's arm. Kagome moved close to his other side and mumbled something inaudible as she gently touched his other arm.
“I've heard wonderful things about your land,” the priestess said as she took Inuyasha's hand in hers. “Surely you will stay and eat with us? I'd love to hear more about your homeland.”
Setne and Hapu glanced at each other, their relief obvious in their expressions. They were two of the pharaoh's best soldiers, but word of the superior training and weapons of other lands had them nervous about fighting the strangers. It was definitely a relief that the situation had been defused. Neither man was keen on testing their own skills against those of the strangers.
Inuyasha grunted and turned away from the group, trudging slowly to the temple doors. He paused only long enough to make sure Kagome had followed him, giving her time to catch up to him. He grasped her elbow firmly and led her into the shadowy confines of the main chamber.
Shippou, Kohaku, and Sango glanced up from where they stood by the low altar. The spread of fresh food was proof that their breakfast had arrived. Shippou jumped up and down excitedly. “They brought melons!”
Kagome smiled at the kitsune and turned back to the deity. “We should eat while everything's fresh,” she suggested as she watched Miroku and the visiting soldiers enter the temple.
Inuyasha grunted and dropped to a seated position on the floor. He glared momentarily at Jakotsu, hoping his unspoken warning would be understood. The stone bench next to his chosen spot was reserved for Kagome and the deity would not tolerate anyone else sitting there.
Kagome and Sango quickly filled plates for the others, offering food first to Inuyasha and the strangers before giving Miroku and the boys their breakfasts. The two young women finally filled plates for themselves and took their places by their respective men.
Miroku began with a quick introduction of everyone in the room. He hesitated for a moment when he noticed Jakotsu looking him over, suddenly understanding how Inuyasha had felt earlier when the stranger had made suggestive remarks about the deity. The priest made a mental note to talk to Inuyasha about the situation, but for the moment knew he would have to play his role of temple priest.
The small group ate in relative silence, save for the loud, slurping noises coming from Shippou as he consumed slice after slice of juicy, ripe melon. The kitsune let out a loud burp after swallowing his last bite. He ran to the small altar, returning with a frown when he saw that the melon was gone.
“Here, Shippou,” Kagome offered as she held out a slice of melon from her own plate. The kitsune rushed to her side and took the offered food, downing it quickly before he jumped to the priestess' shoulder and planted a wet and very sticky kiss on her cheek.
“Thanks, Kagome!”
“Idiot,” Inuyasha growled. “You had more than your share already.”
“That's all right.” Kagome leaned forward and whispered something into the deity's ear. Inuyasha looked back at her but maintained his stern expression and attitude.
“Feh!” Inuyasha folded his arms across his chest and looked pointedly at Shippou. “You let him get away with everything,” he mumbled.
The kitsune glanced around before scooting closer to Kohaku. “Kagome…”
“All right, you two,” the priestess said sternly. “We do have company, after all.”
“You let a mere woman speak to you that way?” Jakotsu narrowed his eyes as he studied Kagome. After a moment he turned his attention once again to Inuyasha.
“Hmmp,” Inuyasha mumbled as he leaned back against the bench Kagome sat on.
“I realize things are different in your land,” Miroku interjected, “but here we feel that a woman has the same rights as a man.”
“Even a lowly priestess?”
“She's not a lowly priestess,” Inuyasha snarled. “Kagome's my woman and I'll be damned if I let you talk about her that way.”
“Excuse me, my lord.” Jakotsu bowed his head slightly. “I meant no offence. I merely pointed out what would be obvious to someone from my land.”
“It seems my comrade and I have much to learn about this mysterious land,” Bankotsu said as he shot yet another warning glance at Jakotsu. Keep this up and we'll both loose our heads, he thought to himself. “You'll have to forgive him. I promise you that he means no offence. He's just rather outspoken and his views on women and their places among men are rather…unique.”
“No offense taken,” Kagome said softly as she rested her hand on Inuyasha's shoulder. She could feel the knot of his muscle relax under the soft pressure of her fingers on his back.
A sound came from the temple door. “My lord,” Setne said hesitantly. “I'm sorry to interrupt, but the first of the worshippers have arrived.”
“It seems we're going to have to cut our conversation short,” Miroku said with a forced smile. “We have business to attend to.”
“Of course,” Bankotsu said as he stood. “I hope it's all right if we remain and observe.”
“I'm sure that will be all right,” the priest said before Inuyasha could respond. “Though there's not much to observe, I'm afraid. Just Inuyasha receiving his worshippers.”
“Sounds fascinating,” Jakotsu said with a smirk.
Bankotsu pulled his companion aside as the others quickly readied the temple for its daily influx of visitors. “You're taking some rather large risks, my friend. We're hardly in the position to anger this living deity. After all, we're strangers in this land and if we want to make it home alive, I suggest you remember that.”
“Don't be so serious,” Jakotsu said as he lightly patted Bankotsu's backside. “I'm just having a little fun. Besides, have you ever seen such a beautiful man in your entire life?”
“Just so your fun doesn't get us executed. We came here for a reason, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let your flirtations stop us from fulfilling our quest.”
“Oh, stop being so serious. I can think of worse things than getting in trouble over a man like him.” Jakotsu turned and watched as Inuyasha and Miroku took their positions for the daily audience. “And, I get to watch that scrumptious priest as a bonus. What better quest to fulfill?”
“Damn you, Jakotsu,” Bankotsu laughed under his breath. “You really do have a one-track mind.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The morning passed without event, although Inuyasha made it apparent that he was ready for the day's audience to end long before it was over. He fidgeted and grumbled between each worshipper, calmed only by Kagome's presence and Miroku's way with the visitors. Soon the last of the worshippers had left and Inuyasha could finally relax.
“I'll be in my room until our food gets her,” he announced bluntly as he disappeared into his private chambers.
Kagome apologized to the others before following the deity. “I don't think you should bother him right now,” she whispered to Shippou as he jumped onto her shoulder. The kitsune gave her his best sad face before jumping down and running back to the others.
“She can go into his room when she wants?” Jakotsu asked of nobody in particular.
“Well, it's her room, too,” Miroku explained as he sorted through the daily offerings. “She is his wife, after all.”
“Wife?” Jakotsu shook his head. “Such a waste. I could offer him so much more.”
The priest looked up in surprise. The actions of the visiting soldiers had intrigued him, but for the first time since they arrived he realized that the stories he had heard of fighters from their land were true. Miroku suddenly became very self conscious, aware that his own kilt had ridden up while he bent over to retrieve a large lacquered box. He stood quickly and pulled down on the thin fabric, although not soon enough to prevent Jakotsu from seeing more than the priest wanted him to see.
“Perhaps Setne and Hapu can show you around the grounds and the nearby town,” the priest suggested.
“Perhaps…” Jakotsu smiled and winked before moving towards the temple doors. His walk had a definite feminine movement to it despite the fact that he was dressed in armor. He paused only long enough to turn and look longingly in the direction where Inuyasha had disappeared . Such a waste, he thought to himself as he moved from the cool confines of the temple into the heat of the desert outside.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Inuyasha,” Kagome said softly as she sat next to the deity on the edge of the bed. “You shouldn't let someone like that soldier upset you so much.”
“Upset me?” The deity stood and turned to face the priestess. “He was trying to look up my damned kilt, and I'm not supposed to be upset?”
“I've heard about men from the Greek army,” Kagome said with a shake of her head. “Many stray from the usual lifestyle of other men.”
Usual lifestyle?” Inuyasha looked at Kagome in amazement before suddenly laughing out loud. “I think that's being a bit generous, if you ask me.” He returned to his place next to Kagome and slid his arm around her. “I'm happy with my usual lifestyle and sure the hell don't want men like him trying to look up my kilt!”
“You could see it as a compliment,” the priestess said with a mischievous grin.
“Like hell, I will,” the deity complained. “I don't think having another man want to see what's under my kilt is a compliment, no matter how you look at it.” He pulled the priestess closer and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. “I'll stick with my woman, if you don't mind.”
With that Inuyasha lie back on the bed, pulling Kagome with him. “We have some time before lunch gets here,” he mumbled as he nuzzled her neck.
“Inuyasha!” Kagome squirmed half-heartedly in his grasp, not wanting to stop his advances, but worried at the same time about the close proximity of the others in the main chamber. “What about Shippou? He might come in…”
“He's too busy going through the loot from this morning,” Inuyasha laughed. “He'll be busy until lunch, and probably most of the afternoon, too.”
“Inuyasha…” Kagome's voice trailed off as Inuyasha kissed her, unable to resist the silver-haired hanyou as he showed her just what lifestyle he chose to lead.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The two visiting Greek soldiers didn't return for lunch, much to Inuyasha's relief. Houjou and his superior arrived with their meal, bringing with them a number of scrolls and other parchments.
“The builders asked us to bring the plans for the temple,” Houjou explained. “Originally the temple was planned to be much larger, but Inuyasha wanted only what you see here now. However,” the priest paused as he untied the cord securing one of the scrolls and unrolled it, “it seems that with the changes since the building was completed that perhaps my lord would want to reconsider his decision and have the temple enlarged.”
“The original plans were only for Inuyasha and the priest - my grandfather - to live here,” Miroku added as he unrolled a second scroll. “The priestess wasn't brought in until a short while later, and she took over my grandfather's quarters, leaving him to sleep on a cot in the main chamber.”
“It's big enough,” Inuyasha grunted.
“Forgive me, my lord,” the visiting head priest said as he indicated the others, “but it seems that with this many people living at the temple you might want to reconsider. While it might not seem like a problem now, I'm sure in time you'll find yourself wishing for more space.”
“Maybe we should consider it,” Kagome said softly from her position next to Inuyasha. “Things are starting to get a bit…cramped.”
“It would mean more privacy,” Miroku added with a knowing smile.
Inuyasha shrugged. “Just how long would it take to build the new temple?”
“Well, my lord,” Houjou said as he glanced at his superior, “the thing is, most of the cutting of the stones is already done. All that would be needed would be to assemble them here on this location. Naturally, that would speed things up.”
“How long?” Inuyasha repeated.
“We really can't say,” Houjou said uncertainly. “The problem is, other temples were built slowly, allowing for the stones to be cut as needed. In this case, the stone cutters have continued to prepare the stones, even as you slept. They were hesitant to build for fear of disturbing you.”
The senior priest nodded. “Remember, too, that you had only approved what you see around you. Until you awoke, it was impossible for the builders to actually assemble the buildings.”
Miroku smoothed the open scroll in front of him. “The plans are actually very basic, although they do call for several buildings, and, of course, both public and private courts.”
“What's that?” Shippou pointed to a rectangle surrounded by what appeared to be palm trees.
“That would be a pond,” Miroku said as he glanced in Kagome's direction. “It would be a perfect place to cool off without the trouble of walking down to the river.”
“Can we get one?” the kitsune asked excitedly.
Inuyasha only answered with a grunt.
“We'll see,” Kagome said as she stood. “It's going to have to be Inuyasha's decision, and there are a lot of things we have to take into account.”
The priestess walked slowly to the low altar and lifted the lid from a large clay pot. Steam curled upwards, bringing with it the aroma of the thick stew. “Why don't we eat while the food is hot,” she suggested as she moved to get their plates.
Shippou's stomach answered for everyone.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Inuyasha lounged against a pillar in the main chamber, unable to get excited at the prospect of a new temple. He watched and listened as Miroku and the two other priests discussed the plans in front of them, shaking his head when they presented him with suggestions regarding the proposed building.
Kagome and Sango finished clearing the plates from the noon meal.
“Do you want to practice with your bow?” the youkai exterminator asked as she put the last of the clay dishes away. “I think the men are going to be busy for a while and we have some time.”
“Sure,” Kagome said as she glanced at Inuyasha. He looked bored and for a moment she thought about changing her mind.
“Go ahead,” the deity said with a weak smile. “Nothing's going to be decided right now.”
“I'll be right outside if you need me.” Kagome kissed Inuyasha lightly on the cheek as she walked past him. She lifted her bow in salute as she walked through the door.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The afternoon passed without event. Shippou curled up on his bed for a nap after finishing off more food than any of the others. He burped contentedly before falling asleep.
Inuyasha tired of dealing with construction plans and visiting priests and worked his way outside, where he jumped silently to the roof of the temple and positioned himself to watch Kagome's target practice. He nodded to himself when he noted that both Setne and Hapu kept a respectable distance from the priestess. Only Sango helped her with her stance and shooting.
“I'm never going to hit that thing.” Kagome looked disappointedly at the arrow that lay on the sand several feet short of the target.
“You'll get it,” Sango laughed. “It takes practice…and muscles.” She held up her arm and flexed her muscles. Despite her training and skills, her arms looked too slender and feminine to have the strength to shoot the bow herself. She held out one hand to Kagome, indicating that she wanted the bow.
Sango's first arrow hit the center of the target. A second arrow lodged just next to the first.
“How do you do that?”
“You need to shoot higher - allow the arrow to arc so it can travel farther.” Sango handed the bow to Kagome and positioned herself next to the priestess, gently pushing up on Kagome's left hand as she let loose the arrow with her other hand. The slender projectile soared first up and then dropped, lodging just inches from the center of the target.
“See what I mean?”
Kagome looked up at Inuyasha. “I did it!” she squealed in girlish delight.
“I don't know why you're worried about shooting that thing anyway,” the hanyou said with a shrug. “You have me to protect you.”
“I know you'll protect me,” Kagome said softly. “I don't know - I just like knowing that I can protect myself, I guess.”
“She really helped when we fought Naraku,” Sango reminded Inuyasha.
“That was just a lucky shot,” the priestess laughed. “I could never do it again.”
“I don't know about that,” Miroku's voice came from the shadowed entrance to the temple, where he had come to watch Kagome's training. “It wasn't just the arrow. I sensed something when you shot Naraku - I can only describe it as a type of power. Believe me, that was no lucky shot.”
“Power?” Kagome shook her head. “I'm just a priestess, not a sorceress or magician. I don't have any power.”
“Now, that I have to disagree with,” the priest continued as he moved to join the others. “I saw you at the town when the river was flooding. You held back the water.”
“There are people with special powers,” Sango added. “I have to agree with Miroku. There's something inside you, Kagome. Something very special.”
“Now you're just being silly,” the priestess said as she turned and shot a second arrow. This one followed a perfect arc through the air, hitting Sango's first arrow and knocking it from its place in the target.
“Again, that was no lucky shot.”
Inuyasha opened his mouth to add his own retort, but stopped when he sensed something in the distance. All his senses focused on a point near the river, but all he could feel was an uneasiness. No scent or sound reached his perch on the temple's roof.
“Inuyasha?” Kagome looked up at him with concern. “What's wrong?”
“Nothing.” The deity jumped from the roof, landing a few feet from where Kagome stood. He moved to her and slid his arm around her. “Although I think you've had enough practice for today. Your face is getting red.”
“That and my arms are starting to hurt,” the priestess added as she rotated her right shoulder. “Shooting this thing is definitely harder than it looks.” Kagome swung her bow over her free shoulder and smiled at Inuyasha.
The small group returned to the cool recesses of the temple. Inuyasha paused just before walking through the door, turning to search the horizon for something - anything that might explain the feeling of uneasiness he had experienced on the temple roof. Something was out there, of that he was sure. He made a mental note to talk to Miroku and the soldiers when the women weren't around. There was no need to worry Kagome and Sango when he didn't even know what it was that was bothering him.
“We should be going.” The visiting priests finished rolling the scrolls they brought and stashed them in a tall basket behind the altar. “Your meal should be arriving soon, and we have duties to attend to in town.”
“Thanks,” Miroku said as he walked the two men to the door. “I'll talk to Inuyasha tonight and see if I can get him to agree to at least some of the additions.”
Houjou nodded. “He does seem to be very stubborn.”
Inuyasha grunted in response, his sensitive youkai hearing picking up everything around him.
“Don't worry about it,” Miroku said to Houjou with a shrug. “You get used to it after a while.”
“I heard that,” Inuyasha growled.
“See what I mean?”
“Perhaps you'd like to go with them?” Inuyasha snarled as he walked to the door. He tipped his head, indicating to Miroku that the priest should follow him. A glance told him that Kagome was already occupied with Shippou, having been nearly knocked down by the energetic kitsune the moment she entered the temple. Sango and Kohaku had set up the board and were already in the middle of a game of Hounds and Jackals.
The two men left the temple and circled to the back, where Setne and Hapu were lounging just outside of Kikyou's tomb. The soldiers scrambled to their feet when they saw the deity approaching.
“So, what's up?” Miroku asked. He could sense that something was bothering Inuyasha.
“I felt something earlier,” the hanyou said with a shrug. “I can't put my finger on it, but something's wrong.”
“I'm sorry, my lord, but we haven't seen or heard anything out of the ordinary. What is it?”
“Earlier, when I was at the river with Kagome, I could still smell those fucking wolves. They must have been all over both banks last night.”
“You think the wolves are back?” Setne asked in concern.
“No,” the deity explained, looking at Miroku in hopes that the priest would understand. “They had already been gone for hours, but there was something else there. I could sense…”
“A power?” the priest asked.
Inuyasha nodded. “Something like that, I guess you could say. I could sense youki.”
“Youki?” the second soldier asked in confusion. “What's that?”
“It's the energy from a youkai,” the deity explained to the still-confused soldiers.
“Shippou's a youkai,” Miroku added, hoping the explanation would be enough. Setne and Hapu nodded their heads, although the priest was sure they were still bewildered. It will have to do for the time being, though, thought Miroku. He was sure Inuyasha was already impatient to talk about what was bothering him.
“I thought I sensed something last night - about the time the wolves attacked, but it was too far away for me to be sure.” Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder in the direction of the river. “Then, earlier today, when Kagome and I went to bathe, I could smell the wolves, but I got the same feeling.”
“Did you say anything to Kagome?” Miroku asked.
Inuyasha shook his head. “I didn't want to worry her if I didn't have to, but a little white ago, when Kagome was practicing with her bow, I sensed it again. It was only for a moment, but it was closer this time. It moved away too quickly for me to get a scent or anything, but I'm sure it was there.”
“So, you think a youkai is traveling with the wolves?”
“I'm not sure.” Inuyasha shrugged. “Either that or it's controlling the wolves.”
“You think this youkai might have made the wolves attack last night?”
“It's possible. We'll need to watch closely,” the deity said as he turned to head back to the temple.
“Inuyasha,” Miroku said softly as he caught up with the hanyou. “Can you think of any reason why a youkai would want to attack your temple?”
Inuyasha responded with silence, although the sudden set of his jaw was all the answer the priest needed.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Kagura wandered through the corridors of the pharaoh's palace. And I thought it was boring here when Naraku was in charge, she thought as she rounded a corner into another empty corridor. Sesshoumaru had left the palace early, giving her no indication where he was going or when he would return. It didn't take much to figure where he had gone, and she knew there was no way she could follow him without him noticing her. So, the wind user had spent the day alternating between sitting in her room and wandering the vast stretches of hallways that honeycombed through the palace.
She rounded another corner, realizing that she had managed to circle back to her own room. With nothing better to do, she opened the door and entered. Servants had changed the bedding and provided fresh food and water through the day, but otherwise no one else had been there. She found herself glancing at her bed, half expecting to find a lotus flower laying on her pillow. No, the girl had not returned.
The afternoon wore on and Kagura found herself drawn to her balcony. She shaded her eyes from the sun with her open fan and looked across to Sesshoumaru's room. It was apparent that he wasn't there, but still something drew her. She raised one hand to her hair and pulled out a feather. It took only a moment to travel from her balcony to the pharaoh's quarters.
His rooms were large. She entered his sleeping chamber and paused to look around her. Many of the ornate decorations left from Naraku had been removed. Sesshoumaru was a man of simple tastes - the only elaborate piece of furniture in the room was his bed.
Tall pillars reached to the vaulted ceiling from its four corners. Silk bunting cascaded in gathered folds around the pillars, giving them the illusion of softness. The bed itself was thick and covered with an overstuffed mattress and numerous pillows. Sesshoumaru's scent was faint there, indicating that he seldom used the bed. Even so, Kagura found herself hunting out even the faintest indication that he had been there.
The mattress and pillows were soft and inviting, calling her to curl up in them. No harm. He won't be back for a while. Kagura snuggled into the warm softness and closed her eyes, letting her imagination run away with her as Sesshoumaru's scent enveloped her.
I'll just lie here for a bit, she thought to herself with a yawn. Nobody will be the wiser.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Inuyasha,” Kagome whispered as she played with one of the hanyou's ears. The velvet triangle twitched slightly at her touch and Inuyasha moaned.
“Damn it, Kagome, do you have to do that now?”
“Confess, my husband,” the priestess said in a breathy voice by his ear that sent shivers of pleasure through Inuyasha. “You love it when I do this.”
“Only when nobody else is around,” he grumbled, turning his head to take in the gathering of the temple's occupants.
Miroku poured over the plans for the temple while Sango looked on, pausing now and then to explain and describe things to her. Shippou and Kohaku were busy making their own rules to Hounds and Jackals, with Shippou insisting they were kitsune and not jackals at all. Dinner had been served and cleared, and they had been treated to a surprise desert made of fruit and honey. The boys had both taken second helpings and the sugar was having an effect on Shippou, who was practically bouncing out of his seat with every move of his kitsune marker.
“I win!” Shippou announced loudly to everyone in the room.
“That's not fair, you changed the rules,” Kohaku complained as he set the board up for another round. “This time stick to the rules!”
Inuyasha leaned back against Kagome's knees, his silvery-white hair spreading out over the priestess' lap. He sat on the floor at her feet, a position that had become natural for him. Kagome scratched absentmindedly just behind one of the hanyou's ears, forcing him to relax despite the hubbub around him.
“Keep that up and I'm going to fall asleep right here.” Inuyasha turned to look at Kagome. She smiled and shook her head.
“Would that be such a bad thing?”
“I plan on us both not getting much sleep tonight.” The deity untangled his legs and stood up, reaching one hand toward Kagome.
“But, it's early,” the priestess said shyly. “The others are awake. They'll hear…”
“They won't even know we're gone.” Inuyasha took Kagome's hand and pulled her to her feet before scooping her up in his arms and slipping away to their room.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Where's Kagome?” Shippou asked after a while. He looked up in surprise when the object of his inquiry appeared in the doorway to the chambers she shared with Inuyasha.
Kagome's eyes were bright and her cheeks were flushed. Her breathing was heavy despite her attempt to get it under control. Her blush deepened as Inuyasha stepped out of the room to join her. He moved behind her, letting his hand brush the firm roundness of her backside before mumbling something in her ear.
“Inuyasha!” the priestess gasped at the suggestion only she had heard.
“Hey, Shippou!” the deity said dryly as he slipped one arm around Kagome. “I think it's about time you sleep in your own bed, don't you?”
“Huh?” The kitsune looked confused. “I wanna' sleep with Kagome!”
“That's my job,” Inuyasha mumbled as he locked eyes with Shippou. “You have your own bed.”
“But, Kagome…”
“I'm sure Kohaku would be glad for the company,” Sango interjected. “This room is big - I'm sure he'd both be more comfortable if you stayed with him.”
Shippou looked at his friend and shrugged. “I guess…”
“Why not show Kohaku how to write some of your letters?” Miroku glanced first at Sango and then at Inuyasha and Kagome. It didn't take a genius to figure out what was up, and the priest was going to have to help appease the whining kitsune if he didn't want to end up sharing his own bed with the little fur ball.
Shippou smiled and nodded, happy for the chance to show off his writing abilities. “Well, I don't know all the letters - yet,” he explained as he scrambled to get out some papyrus and writing instruments. He gripped a stylus. “You hold the pen like this…”
Miroku looked sternly at Inuyasha, making certain he knew just what part the priest had played in convincing the kitsune to stay away from the bed the deity shared with his priestess.
“You owe me,” Miroku mouthed soundlessly.
Inuyasha's eyes lit mischievously. “Since when does a priest ask for payment for doing his duty?” he laughed softly.
The priest shook his head and tried to look serious, bowing suddenly to hide the grin on his face.
They'd never believe me, he thought to himself as he pictured the other priest candidates he had studied with. Not only was he the only priest in the land's history - outside of his own father and grandfather - who had been honored with the task of serving a living deity, but here he was, speaking to that deity in a manner that would certainly be considered sacrilegious, at the very least.
The boys were obviously sleepy, so Kagome and Miroku made a circuit of the main chamber, extinguishing most of the torches for the night. In moments only the brazier next to the main altar and two flickering torches cast their light on the room. Sango moved silently to where the boys slept, carefully tucking a soft sheet around them before joining Miroku at the door to their chamber. Deity and priestess had already disappeared into the confines of their own room.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Sesshoumaru returned to his room to find an unexpected guest. Kagura lie sleeping on his bed, her legs pulled up in a semi-fetal position while her slender arms circled a satin-covered bolster. The translucent gauze of the wind user's gown left little to the imagination as it clung to the her sleeping form.
The pharaoh paused, his face as cold and expressionless as the stone pillars circling the room. Slowly he raised one hand, pausing with it level with the waistband of his kilt. Sesshoumaru remained motionless for several moments before lowering his arm and turning to make his way to the balcony.
The sun had set some time earlier, replaced now with the silvery glow of the rising moon. The night air circled the pharaoh, its invisible fingers winding through his long, flowing hair and chilling his exposed skin. He seemed unaware of the cool air and his surroundings as he stood and looked out at the night.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Inuyasha lie in the dark, straining his senses to reach as far into the night around the temple as was possible. The fingers on one hand stroked Kagome's hair absentmindedly as she slept next to him. The priestess shivered slightly, pulling Inuyasha away from his odyssey of the senses long enough to draw a soft, woven sheet across her. He focused for a moment on the woman lying beside him, watching the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest until he was certain she was soundly asleep. The mysterious howl from the previous nights had returned, luring him to hunt.
The hanyou slipped from the bed, pausing only long enough to grab his discarded kilt from the floor. He wrapped the garment around him, securing the ties as he stealthily leapt to the heavy wooden beams above him. Inuyasha slid the stone panel of the roof effortlessly, revealing an opening to the roof. He hesitated only long enough to replace the large, stone tile before surveying the surrounding land.
In moments he was racing across the sand of the desert, tracking the elusive howl that led him first one way and then another. Each time he was certain he had cornered the source of the sound, he found himself empty-handed. All he could find were traces of youki mixed with the scent of a wolf. Before long he realized that in their impalpable game of cat and mouse, he had quickly become the mouse.
Kagome. The realization hit him hard that he had allowed himself to be led further and further from the temple. He tried to shake off his feeling of uneasiness as he closed the distance between himself and his temple. He slowed to a walk as he came within sight of the shadow of the building, its shape and features barely distinguishable in the night. He could smell smoke rising from the flickering firelight of Setne and Hapu's camp, the dim light providing little illumination for even his youkai senses.
All appeared as he had left it. He sprang effortlessly to the roof, noting that the stone tile was still in place as he had left it. He slid his fingers into the narrow space around the roof tile and lifted.
Inuyasha paused. Something wasn't right. He quickly jumped through the opening, taking in his surroundings as he landed on the hard, stone floor below. Kagome slept as he had left her, her dark hair spreading like a fan on her pillow. The sheet he place on her before he left remained unmoved. Even her breathing remained unchanged, indicating that she was still in a deep sleep.
All his senses told him to relax - except one. His nose wrinkled up in disgust when the scent of wolf assaulted it. What the hell? Inuyasha spun around, peering into the dark corners of the room, but the source of the stench wasn't there. Whatever - or whoever - had left the scent was now gone. But, he was certain of one thing. That someone had been in the room while he was in the desert hunting for them. That someone had been in the room while Kagome was alone and unprotected. That someone was obviously playing some type of sick and twisted game and Inuyasha refused to go along with it.
The deity slid out of his dusty kilt and slipped quietly back into bed. Kagome moaned slightly as he pulled her firmly against him. He eased his hold on her, but kept his arms wrapped protectively around her.
It was obvious that the mysterious intruder was targeting the temple. What wasn't obvious was the reason behind the actions. There was one thing Inuyasha did know for certain, and that was that they were going to need more help guarding the temple and its occupants.
He looked down at Kagome. She looked so peaceful as she slept, oblivious to the worries that kept her husband awake for the rest of the night. Inuyasha lie silently in the dark, waiting for the howling that never came.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
On a rocky outcropping downwind of the temple, a shadowy figure paused and studied the hulking stone of the building. He smiled to himself as he reviewed the list of occupants of Inuyasha's temple. One pitiful hanyou playing deity. One kitsune who was hardly old enough to be any real threat. Four humans inside the temple, of which only the youkai exterminator could be a problem for him, and two human soldiers on the outside.
The figure laughed under his breath. They were hardly worth his time. Perhaps he'd send a couple of his underlings to take care of things. He lifted his head to look at the moon and howled before turning and disappearing into the night.