InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Temple of the Dog ❯ Chapter 22 ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to Inuyasha. Those are the property of one Rumiko Takahashi. I thank her whole-heartedly for giving us such an amazing manga/anime to read/watch.
This chapter is dedicated in loving memory to Kristine Batey, aka Bachan, who lost her battle with breast cancer on 6/17/05. In addition to being my original beta reader for “Temple of the Dog” and my other fanfiction, Bachan was a wonderful friend. She is sorely missed and will always be remembered.
Please note - for some reason, chapters of fanfics I uploaded to Mediaminer lose their formatting on upload, despite the fact that I am using the same word processing program I always do and saving the file the same way. If the formatting is not correct, it is due to the upload and not in the original file. I work from an older MacIntosh and there is an incompatibility between the programming used by MM.org and my computer.
You can find some amazing fanart to go with the story at totd.deviantart.com. Be sure to check out the monthly contests for fanart from the story at my page - urd-chan.deviantart.com.
 
Temple of the Dog - Chapter 22
By Urd-chan
 
Kagura leaned against the smooth, cool stone of one of the intricately carved pillars that lined her balcony. One hand rested on the curved railing that ran the width of the terrace, while her other hand held her closed fan. Her gaze traveled to a second, larger balcony that protruded from the palace a short distance from where she stood. There was no sound, although she could see sheer draperies blowing slightly in the morning breeze, their lengths framing the opening into Sesshoumaru's private chambers.
The wind user peered toward the sun, which had risen far enough to clear the palace roof. She frowned slightly. Something was out of the ordinary. Most days she would have been summoned to the pharaoh's audience chamber by this time. Missing, too, was the soft patter of bare feet outside her door as the silent servant girl left her the gift of a single lotus blossom for her.
Kagura turned and walked back into her bed chamber. She quickly changed from her sleep robes into an elegant one-shouldered gown that left her right arm bare. It took only a moment to run a comb through her hair and slip several feathers into the clasp that held the ebony strands back from her face. A quick glance in the polished bronze mirror that lay on the low table next to her bed showed her that she was ready to face Sesshoumaru. She would have a few choice words for the pharaoh, after she had waited less than patiently for his daily summons.
Two guards were walking towards her as she stepped into the corridor just beyond her bedroom door. One nodded slightly, but both continued walking past her on their rounds. Except for the two men in armor, the hallway was empty.
“If he thinks he can make me wait all morning,” Kagura mumbled to herself as she walked purposefully towards Sesshoumaru's audience chamber, “Sesshoumaru has another thing coming.”
The tall doors leading into the pharaoh's public audience hall were firmly closed, flanked by several of Sesshoumaru's personal guards. The captain of the guards held up one hand in Kagura's direction as she approached, indicating that she should stop.
“The pharaoh is not holding audience today,” he informed her in a low, monotone voice.
“Oh, he'll see me,” she said sweetly as she brushed past the man.
“Go in if you feel you must,” the captain said with a shrug, “but the pharaoh isn't here. He left the palace early this morning.”
“Left?”
“Yes, my lady.” The captain shook his head slightly. “He didn't say where he was going or when he would return.”
Kagura narrowed her eyes and studied the guard facing her. He gave no indication that he was telling her anything but the truth. So, Sesshoumaru went out, she thought to herself. She didn't have to think twice about where he might have gone. She was certain that he had taken the trip to Inuyasha's temple himself, following the path he had been sending her on daily. His obsession with his hanyou brother was curious, and the wind user decided to follow his trail and find out just what it was all about.
“Guard!”
“Yes, my lady?” the captain responded as he snapped to attention.
“The little servant girl who has been in Sesshoumaru's audience chamber the past few days…have you seen her?”
“No, my lady,” the guard said as he shook his head. “Then again, I only just came on duty.”
The wind user turned and retreated down the hallway. She could sense the guard's gaze as she forced herself to maintain a casual pace, denying the humans the luxury of seeing her growing anger.
How dare he, she thought to herself as she pictured the arrogant pharaoh and his unemotional exterior. She was not going to let her treat her like a mere servant. That was for the humans who bustled around the palace as they tended to their daily duties. She was no servant.
And, you really showed Naraku, she thought with a sly smile. Served him right for lowering her to the ranks of the human servants in the palace. Her smile faded as she remembered her punishments for her refusals to follow his orders. She had learned quickly that she would have to give into his demands, or suffer the consequences. Never again.
“My lady?” A servant woman carrying a tray of food stopped and looked at Kagura in confusion. “I was just bringing you your morning tray.”
“I'm not hungry,” Kagura mumbled. She turned back and looked at the assortment of exotic fruits and cheeses on the try. Well, maybe just something small. She reached out one hand and grabbed a slice of freshly cut melon before hurrying to the front entrance of the palace.
The melon was sweet and juicy and Kagura quickly regretted not stopping to eat more as she tossed the rind onto the street. The day was already growing warm from the sun, and the paved street was filled with humans, all scurrying around like insects as they went about their business. The guards flanking the door remained motionless, although she could tell by the shifting of their eyes that they were studying her as she stepped into the street and raised one hand to her hair. In moments she was airborne, directing her oversized feather in the direction of Inuyasha's temple.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“No,” Inuyasha complained as the first worshippers arrived at the temple. “Why can't you just put up one of the statues and let them leave their offerings to it?”
“Inuyasha,” Kagome said softly as she slipped her arm into the crook of his. “You know we can't do that.”
“Well, I don't see why not,” he grumbled as he raised his free hand and placed it lightly on Kagome's. “Why does this temple have to be any different than all the rest?”
“Because this temple has a living deity,” Miroku said as he moved to the large wooden doors that sealed them in. He grunted as he lifted the large wooden plank that secured the doors, glancing back at Inuyasha with a pained expression.
“Don't give me that look,” the deity said as he narrowed his eyes at the temple's priest. “I'm not the one who wants all those people here.”
“Inuyasha,” Kagome scolded lightly. “They are here to see you.”
Sango stepped forward and lifted one end of the locking beam. Miroku looked surprised at the sudden lightening of his burden.
It took only a moment to stash the beam and push open the temple doors.
Shippou began to jump up and down excitedly. “I wonder what they're going to bring today?” He looked at the temple's priestess hopefully. “Sweets maybe?”
“You still have plenty of sweets left from yesterday,” Kagome laughed as the kitsune launched himself at her. She caught him with her free arm and gave him a hug. “Too many sweets aren't good for you.”
“But, there aren't any left from yesterday,” Shippou whined. He turned his head to glare at Inuyasha. “Somebody else ate them. All of them!” He pushed out his lower lip and looked up at Kagome with sad eyes.
“How could you eat off of Shippou's candies?” the priestess said in surprise. “Those were for the children.”
“Funny, but I thought those were brought here as offerings for me,” the deity snarled. He motioned with one hand around the room, indicating the statues and carvings of himself. “This is still my temple, isn't it?”
“Of course, it's your temple,” Kagome said as she leaned towards him and kissed him lightly on his check. “But, even a deity has to learn to share sometimes,”
“There are some things I won't share,” he murmured as he caught the priestess around the waist and pulled him to her, causing Shippou to jump to the floor in order to avoid being caught between them.
“Um... I hate to interrupt,” Miroku said nervously as he smiled at the cluster of worshippers who had gathered at the open doors. “We do have company.”
Kagome blushed heavily as she squirmed out of Inuyasha's embrace. She took a step back, flanking the deity on one side as Miroku moved to take a position on the opposite side.
“Welcome,” the priest said, noting the curious smiles on the unfamiliar faces before them. So, these people would be some of the few who saw a more human side of their deity. He was sure it was a story that would be repeated for many years.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Sesshoumaru stood a slight distance from the temple. He watched as worshippers arrived and departed, his face remaining an emotionless mask. A shadow cast from above caught his attention and he narrowed his eyes against the glare of the sun, looking up at as Kagura brought her feather in for a landing next to him.
“You are not needed today,” he said with a sharp undertone to his voice.
“You didn't summon me, so I had some free time on my hands. I thought I'd see what was happening here.”
“You are not needed,” Sesshoumaru repeated before returning his gaze to the steady stream of worshippers who trekked across the hot sand from the local town to pay homage to Inuyasha.
“So, I am not free to come and go as I wish?” Kagura hissed before turning to him with a knowing smile.
“Do as you wish,” the pharaoh said flatly. “Just do not interfere with this Sesshoumaru. My business is my own.”
“Well, perhaps I simply came to pay homage to Inuyasha,” the wind user said with a sly grin. She quickly forced a bored expression as Sesshoumaru turned to face her.
Pay homage to Inuyasha?” he said, his voice tinged with a hint of anger. “Why would anyone feel the need to pay homage to a lowly hanyou like him?”
“Looks like there are quite a few people who would disagree with you,” Kagura said as she waved her closed fan in the direction of the temple. The stream of worshippers continued without sign of and end.
“Humph!” Sesshoumaru grunted before turning and lifting off the ground. He hovered above Kagura for a moment before gliding silently in the direction of his palace.
“So, you have a bone to pick with your brother,” she said to herself. Perhaps she'd stick around and see if she could find out just what the problem between the youkai and hanyou was.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“It's about time,” Inuyasha grunted as the heavy doors were pulled closed behind the last retreating worshipper. The desert sun was nearly at its zenith and the heat would become too intense for many to make the trip from the town to the temple. Luckily for him, the heat was nearly unnoticeable.
“Yeah,” Kagome agreed with a sigh. She lifted the corner of her robe and mopped at her sweaty brow. “It's turning into a really hot one.”
Inuyasha looked at the low altar, where their lunches waited. “Eat, and then we can go to the river for a bath.”
“I'm not sure I'll be able to eat much,” Kagome said softly as she moved to retrieve plates and bowls for their meal. “I guess I'm just not used to the heat out here. We were fortunate to get breezes from the river back home.”
“Actually, a bath sounds like a good idea,” Miroku said with a suggestive smile at Sango.
“You can wait your turn,” Inuyasha said sharply as he took a plate from Kagome and began to fill it with food.
“I want to go!” Shippou said excitedly as he piled food onto his plate. He stuffed his mouth before he left the altar and found a seat next to Kagome's usual place.
“You can go with Miroku,” the deity said with a glint in his eye. “Kagome and I will bathe alone.”
“Aw, that's not fair,” Shippou mumbled around his lunch.
“I promise to spend time with you later,” Kagome promised the pouting kitsune. “In fact, I noticed that you already brought in some games from the caravan. Do you know how to play Hounds and Jackals?”
“It should be called Hounds and Foxes,” the kitsune said, trying to maintain his pout.
“Well, I'm sure nobody will mind if you want to call it that,” the priestess laughed as she lowered herself to the stone bench next to Shippou. Inuyasha grunted and dropped to a crossed-legged position on the floor in front of her.
The small group ate in relative peace and quiet, the stillness broken only by Shippou's return trips to the low altar for more food and Sango trying to explain to Kohaku what the various foods were.
“It seems wrong to be eating with our hands,” the young boy said as he looked at his messy fingers.
“What else would you eat with?” Miroku asked in curiosity.
“Go ahead,” Sango said with a nod at her brother. Kohaku set his plate aside and went to a small bundle by his bed. He returned in a moment with an assortment of long, slender pieces of wood.
The boy handed two to his sister and took two for himself before settling back onto the floor with his plate. Miroku and Kagome looked on in amazement as Kohaku slid the slim sticks between the fingers on his right hand and began to pick up pieces of food with them. He paused with a chunk of food midway to his mouth.
“How do you do that?” the priest asked incredulously.
“Here, I'll show you,” Sango offered as she retrieved two more of the sticks and tried to explain to Miroku how to use them. “These are chopsticks. You hold them like this.” The youkai exterminator slid first one and then the other stick between her fingers, showing the priest how to move only the top stick in order to capture pieces of food.
The others watched with amusement as Miroku tried repeatedly to handle the chopsticks. Before long Shippou and Kohaku were rolling on the floor, laughing at the inept priest who had managed to get more food on his lap then into his mouth.
“Forget it,” he said as he dropped the sticks and picked up a chunk of meat with his fingers. “I'll stick to the old tried and true method.” Juice from the meat trickled down his chin, joining the assortment of cheese, fruit, and meat already on his lap.
“What about you?” Shippou grabbed two sticks and handed them to Kagome. The priestess shook her head.
“I'm sure I won't be able to figure these out.” She looked up in surprise as Inuyasha stood and slid onto the stone bench to the right of her.
“You hold them like this,” he explained as he lifted her hand and slid the chopsticks between her fingers. Inuyasha continued to adjust the sticks in Kagome's hands, taking them from her now and then to slide them between his own fingers. In a short time the priestess had managed to successfully get several pieces of food into her mouth.
“Show off!” Miroku laughed.
“Maybe you would have learned if you hadn't spent the entire time trying to grab my backside,” Sango whispered to the priest.
“So, I was a little distracted,” Miroku laughed as he picked his dropped food and piled it on his empty plate.
“Yayfor Kagome!” Shippou shouted as he danced around in a circle.
“I…” Kagome paused as a heavy pounding shook the temple.
“Who the hell?” Inuyasha complained as he headed to the temple doors.
“My lord!” a frantic voice outside the doors shouted before the pounding continued.
Inuyasha had the doors open and was standing in front of one of the visiting guards, who bowed in apology.
“My lord,” the soldier said nervously. It was Setne. “I ask forgiveness for disturbing you, but there's a situation I think you should know about.” He waved frantically towards the side of the temple, indicating the way back to Kikyou's tomb and the post he shared with Hapu.
“Damn it…” The deity raced around the corner of the temple, coming to a sliding stop just before a cart and several soldiers. Hapu inclined his head towards Inuyasha before explaining that the soldiers had just come from the areas to the south of the town.
“We were returning from our patrol and came across a flock of sheep that had been horribly mangled,” he explained as he walked towards the cart. An oiled cloth covered whatever was on the wheeled vehicle. “We were just outside a town not far from here. According to the herders we spoke with, the sheep have been hunted nightly for the past week or so. Last night they managed to kill one of the predators.” With a single motion he pulled the tarp off the cart.
“Oh,” Kagome said as she turned away. She and the others had followed Inuyasha and stood back from the small gathering.
On the cart lay the remains of an animal. It looked dog-like, but had a burnished fur that was unlike anything found in the land.
“It's a wolf,” the soldier explained.
“Wolf?” Inuyasha grumbled as he examined the carcass. “This doesn't look like the wolves I know.”
“But, we don't have wolves around here,” Miroku added as he moved to join the deity at the cart. “The only wolves I have heard of are in the south - in the territory of the southern tribes.”
“Exactly,” the soldier said as he covered the dead animal. “I am familiar with them because I have traveled to the south - before the current situation…”
“Situation?” the priest asked.
“Recently there have been rumors of a disturbance to the south. At first I didn't believe the stories,” the man said with a shrug. “But, more and more soldiers who have been sent to the south have failed to come back, and the few that have returned are full of reports. Something horrible is happening to the south, and now it appears that it is driving even the predators into our land.”
Miroku gave Inuyasha a knowing look. “If the animals are fleeing, we might have a real problem.”
The soldier nodded. “Rumors are that even the tribes are shifting in an attempt to avoid whatever it is that is causing this.”
“Kagome,” the deity said sternly. “Take the others and go back into the temple.”
“No.” The priestess said softly in response.
“You don't need to see this,” Inuyasha said as he grasped her shoulders and turned her away from the carcass.
The midday heat had taken its toll on the remains of the wolf, and it's decomposing flesh began to put out a stomach-turning stench. Sand flies circled the dead wolf, slipping under the end of the oiled cloth that hid it from view.
“There's no need to keep the poor animal on the cart, is there? We should bury it, at least,” Kagome said as she turned back to look Inuyasha in the eyes.
“Burning it might be a better choice,” Miroku added as he tried to cover his nose and mouth with one hand. “Whatever we decide to do, I suggest we do it quickly. At this rate, who knows what this thing could attract.”
“We'll get right on it, my lord,” offered Hapu. He glanced at Setne, who nodded in agreement.
“Good,” Inuyasha said as he once again tried to convince Kagome to return to the temple.
“All right,” she finally agreed as she laced her fingers through his and pulled him along beside her. “As long as you're going, I'll go.”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The inhabitants of the temple settled in for a peaceful afternoon. Inuyasha watched as Kagome helped Shippou and Kohaku bring out a small wooden table that had a pattern of holes drilled in it. The three settled around the board as the priestess explained the game to the boys. After a short time, Sango moved closer, watching closely as her brother and Shippou chased each others' pegs around the board.
Miroku looked up from the papyrus he had been studying and motioned to Inuyasha. The priest slipped silently into his private chambers, followed by the silver-haired deity.
“I think we need to request additional soldiers,” Miroku said quietly, glancing at the door to be sure they hadn't been followed.
“I can handle a few fucking wolves,” Inuyasha retorted. “The last thing I want are more strangers around here. The damned worshippers are bad enough.”
“Just remember that without worshippers, there wouldn't be a temple. And, without the town, there wouldn't be worshippers. If the wolves work their way here, we could be in for a very big problem.”
Inuyasha appeared deep in thought, his mind traveling back to the howling he had heard at night. Despite his acute youkai senses, his hearing range was still limited. The howls he heard had been close enough to be a threat to the town.
“I'm not going to let anything happen to the town…” The deity's gaze traveled to the doorway as he pictured Kagome and the others in the next room. “And, I'll be damned if I let anything - or anyone - do anything to the temple.”
“Inuyasha?” Kagome's voice filtered in from the main chamber.
“You're not to talk about this in front of the others,” Inuyasha hissed softly as he walked past the priest.
Miroku nodded wordlessly as he watched his deity leave the room. The priest waited several moments before following, doing his best to act nonchalant in front of the others.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Kagura sat on the roof of the temple, undetected by the others as she watched them deal with the dead wolf. Odd, but the coloring and build of the creature looked vaguely familiar. After a few minutes she remembered where she had seen it - or at least one just like it - before. The wind user usually focused on keeping her feather aloft while she flew, but remembered seeing several of the reddish brown creatures running through the desert. It hadn't occurred to her at the time to think anything odd about it, but now that she heard the guards talking to Inuyasha and Miroku, she realized that she had not seen an animal like it before.
She lay on her stomach and pulled herself to the edge of the temple roof, dangling her head so that she could glimpse the inside of the temple through one of the rough openings that served as a window, high on the outer wall of the main chamber. Kagome was playing a game with two young boys, one of who was obviously not human. His reddish hair and tail marked him as a kitsune, despite the fact that it was similar to the color of the dead wolf that had been buried. Inuyasha and Miroku disappeared for several minutes, retreating into a second room. But, they returned shortly and became engrossed in some parchment that were spread open on the main altar.
What the hell Sesshoumaru wanted with Inuyasha was beyond her. Kagura pulled herself up and took a feather from hair, quickly producing her ride back to the palace.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“What are you doing?” Shippou asked as he peered at the papyrus scroll that Miroku was studying.
“I'm preparing the text for Kikyou's tomb,” he answered without looking up. A second scroll lay spread near his hand, and he glanced at it and began to write something in hieroglyphics.
“What does that say?”
“Shippou, I really don't have time for this…” The priest looked up at the kitsune and shook his head. “Oh, what the heck. It's not like she's going anywhere. Well, at least not again.”
Miroku turned one of the scrolls so that it faced Shippou. He began to explain what each symbol meant.
“I've seen these all over,” the kitsune quipped. “I just couldn't figure out exactly what they meant.”
“Well, in order to learn to read and write, one has to go to school. I studied to be a priest, but I was also interested in learning to write, so I went to scribe school for a time.”
“They're funny,” Shippou laughed as he pointed to the little animal shapes.
“The language of the land is based on what we know. Some are shaped like animals…” the priest pointed to several symbols. “Others are shaped like objects.” Again, he indicated several symbols on the papyrus. “And, some are shaped like men.”
“I can draw those,” the kitsune said excitedly. He picked up one of the writing sticks that lay scattered across the altar and dipped the end into a small bowl filled with an ebony liquid. Before Miroku could stop him, Shippou had duplicated several of the symbols on a small piece of blank parchment mixed in with the scrolls.
Miroku looked at Shippou's handiwork in surprise. “You actually write them rather well.”
“I like to draw,” the kitsune said as he puffed out his chest in a show of pride. “I didn't have anything to do when I wasn't working in the palace, so I started drawing.”
“Can you read these?” The priest indicated the open scrolls.
Shippou shook his head. “I don't know what all the little pictures mean, but I like to draw them.” He reached for another scroll and pointed to a picture that was mixed in with the text. It was painted with vibrant shades of blue and yellow. “I can color them, too!”
“I just might have a job for you,” Miroku said as he patted Shippou's head. “As soon as I finish writing what will go on the walls of Kikyou's tomb, I'll need help transferring it there.”
“You want me to help?” the kitsune asked incredulously.
“I don't see why you can't,” the priest said as he pulled out some blank pages and placed them in front of Shippou. “You'll need to practice a bit first, though.”
The kitsune pushed out his chest and lifted his chin. “I can do it!”
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Kagura walked purposely down the long corridor leading to Sesshoumaru's audience chamber. She paused outside the doors, ready to demand entrance when one of the soldiers turned to her.
“It's about time,” the man grumbled as he pulled one of the heavy doors open. “The pharaoh has been waiting for you.”
The wind user looked surprised. She had received no summons, but nodded her head and walked past the soldier into the large, dark chamber.
“I suggest you not take so long next time,” the soldier whispered as she passed. “Lord Sesshoumaru isn't someone you want to keep waiting.”
Kagura simply nodded and stepped into the room. She stood silently as the heavy door was closed behind her. The late day sun was low in the sky and provided little light through the windows high on the walls. Most of the sconces along the walls of the chamber were empty, with only a handful of torches burning close to the dais that held Sesshoumaru's throne.
The pharaoh sat silently, looking more like a statue than a living being. Only his eyes gave away the sign of any movement as they followed Kagura's movements to the base of the raised dais. Torchlight reflected from his narrowed eyes, making it impossible for the wind user to read his expression.
“I am not used to having to wait.”
“My lord,” Kagura said with a small bow. “I received no summons from you.”
“A guard was sent to your room with instructions for you to come here.” Sesshoumaru shifted his position on the ornate wooden throne and leaned forward, studying the wind user.
“That would explain it.” She smiled knowingly. “I was not in my room.”
“Where were you?”
“I was not aware that you needed to know my whereabouts at all times. After all, you did say I was free to come and go as I wish, didn't you?”
“Do not play word games with me!”
“I am not playing games,” Kagura said as she slowly ascended the stone stairs that led to where Sesshoumaru sat. “You said you didn't need me this morning, so I took some time to…relax. I only just returned from my bath, and came here without first going to my room.”
“Where were you?”
Kagura shrugged. “Just getting some fresh air. I wasn't allowed to leave the palace very often when Naraku sat on the throne.”
The pharaoh watched as Kagura reached the top of the dais, curious to know what she would do.
“So, what were you summoning me for?” she asked as she lowered herself to the smooth stone near Sesshoumaru's feet. She had changed into a sheer, clingy, strapless gown that left little to the imagination. Her hair hung loose around her face, accented with a beaded headdress made from gold. She could feel Sesshoumaru studying her and shifted her position, bringing her legs to her left while she leaned onto her right arm. Kagura smiled and tilted her head to look up at the pharaoh.
“Why did you go to Inuyasha's temple today?”
“I merely figured that you were delayed and would want your daily report,” she said in a soft, low voice.
“I will send for you if you're needed,” Sesshoumaru said as he reclined back into the throne.
“Of course, my lord.”
They sat in silence for several moments, each seeming to be waiting for the other to speak first. The flickering torches shed little light, casting moving shadows across the two figures on the dais as an unseen breeze snaked its way through the room from the open windows above.
“Lord Sesshoumaru,” a whiny voice sounded from the dark doorway along the side wall of the chamber. Jaken shuffled forward nervously, mumbling something about women being nothing but trouble under his breath as he covered the distance to the front of the chamber. He stopped suddenly and looked up, letting his jaw drop open in surprise when he saw Kagura sitting at Sesshoumaru's feet.
“Where have you been?” the toad-like youkai demanded.
“Jaken,” Sesshoumaru said in a monotone voice. “The subject has already been covered.”
“Yes, my lord.” Jaken gave Kagura an angry look before bowing towards the pharaoh. “What do you wish of me, Lord Sesshoumaru.”
“Have food brought.”
Food? Was he going to be reduced to nothing more than a simple servant, now that Sesshoumaru claimed the throne in this foreign land? “There are servants to do that,” the youkai sputtered, unable to contain his disappointment.
“Go!”
“Yes, Lord Sesshoumaru.” Jaken quickly turned and scurried from the room, pausing for a moment to glare back at Kagura before disappearing through the darkened doorway.
The wind user smiled up at Sesshoumaru. “You saw for yourself today that Inuyasha does not carry a sword.”
“He may not carry it, but he has it.” Sesshoumaru crossed his legs and leaned against one arm of the throne.
“Of course,” Kagura nodded. “If he has it, we'll find it.”
The two fell silent again, waiting for Jaken to return with food. It wasn't long before the large wooden doors leading into the pharaoh's audience chamber opened and the little youkai stepped through. He was followed by several servant women, each carrying a large tray filled with food and drink. Two men came behind them, bringing additional torches for the room. They touched the torches they carried to ones already burning, letting the flame spread between them. One man approached the dais and lit the wicks extending from basins of oil on either side of the stairway that led to where Sesshoumaru and Kagura sat. The servants quickly did their jobs and bowed before walking quickly out of the room.
“Your food is here,” Jaken said with a shrug.
Sesshoumaru inclined his head slightly as he waved his hand in no particular direction. “Go.”
Jaken's eyes opened wide and he let his jaw drop. He was being dismissed - again? “But, Sesshoumaru,” he whined.
“Do not make me repeat myself.”
“Of course, Lord Sesshoumaru,” the nervous little youkai said as he turned and scurried from the room.
Kagura smiled slyly as she watched Jaken leave the chamber for the second time.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“I need a bath,” Kagome announced to nobody in particular as she finished cleaning the dishes from their dinner. “And, we should take the rest of this food to the guards,” she said as she placed a cover on the still warm stew.
Inuyasha nodded and picked up the ornate pot. He watched as the priestess disappeared into their room, returning several minutes later with fresh clothing and a cloth bag containing her bathing items. “I'm ready,” she said with a smile.
“Can I go?” Shippou asked hopefully, giving Kagome his most innocent expression.
“No!” Inuyasha moved to the temple door and pushed it open. “You can bathe later with the others.”
Deity and priestess circled the temple, leaving the succulent stew with the grateful soldiers. The men were already serving themselves as Inuyasha and Kagome turned to follow the path to the river.
The sun had dropped below the horizon, leaving the bathers in the half-light of twilight. Inuyasha held out one hand, warning Kagome to wait while he checked the area. Except for several birds that squawked angrily at the deity for disturbing their hiding place in the rushes, the area was clear.
“Go ahead,” Inuyasha instructed as he took the clothing from Kagome and dropped it to the sand at his feet. He reached for the tie of his kilt and paused, looking curiously at the priestess. “What's wrong?”
“Nothing,” she said nervously. “It just feels funny when you watch me undress.”
“What the…? I've seen you naked plenty of times. You're being silly.”
“It's not the same as when you watch me. I feel like I'm on display.”
“You're being silly,” the deity laughed as he moved to stand behind her. He slid one hand to her waist, sliding it around her while he moved her hair from her neck with his free hand.
Kagome sighed as Inuyasha kissed her neck, leaning back against him as she dropped her hands to cover the one at her waist. She squirmed slightly against him, trying to turn to face him.
“No,” he mumbled, his lips warm and moist against her soft skin. “Just relax.”
“That feels so good,” she murmured as Inuyasha's lips traveled to her shoulder. She was too lost in the sensations to feel him stiffen behind her.
“We'll save the rest for later,” he said suddenly as he slid his hands to the ties on her gown and undid them. “Get your bath.”
“What?” Kagome turned and looked at Inuyasha, surprised at his apparent change of attitude. He shook his head and smiled at her.
“Just get your bath. We'll be more comfortable back in our room.”
Kagome nodded and stepped from the soft folds of cloth at her feet as her gown slid to the warm sand of the riverbank. She slipped into the cool water, moving several feet from the bank before turning to face Inuyasha. He stood with his back to her, his head tilted to one side as thought he were listening to something.
“Inuyasha?”
The deity turned and smiled at the priestess before untying his kilt and joining her in the dark water. The moon was low on the horizon, bathing the river and its inhabitants in a pale blue light. Somewhere nearby in the rushes, a bird took flight, disturbing the peace for just a moment as it circled the intruders and flew off in the direction of the distant mountains.
“Here.” Inuyasha took the cloth that Kagome held in her hand and dipped it into the river, raising it to her shoulder and letting the cool water cascade down her skin. He repeated the action, wetting her arms and back before reaching for the flask she held. He made quick work of it, trickling a small amount of the scented liquid onto the cloth before gently rubbing her skin with it. Kagome looked surprised when Inuyasha announced that he was done.
“Have I done something to displease you, my lord?” the priestess whispered as she looked up at the deity's face in the near darkness.
“No,” he mumbled as he drew her to him. He held her close for a moment, closing his eyes and breathing deeply of her scent. Despite the lightly scented bath oil, her own essence managed to come through. The combination of the two were intoxicating to his youkai senses and for a moment he found himself forgetting his reason for returning to the temple quickly.
“Make love to me,” Kagome whispered as she slid her arms around him.
The deity forced himself to slide from Kagome's embrace. “Tonight.”
“Inuyasha…”
Inuyasha pulled her back to him, holding her close and kissing her gently. “I promise…tonight.”
“I don't understand.”
“We just have to figure out how to keep Shippou out of our room,” he chuckled. He ducked under the water to rinse himself off, resurfacing a short distance away. Droplets of water reflected the blue light of the moon as he playfully splashed Kagome.
“You have to be patient with him, Inuyasha,” Kagome said as she tried to dodge the incoming torrent. “He's an orphan in a strange land. We're the only family he has.”
“Well, I'm an orphan in a strange land, and you're the only family I have.”
Kagome moved closer to Inuyasha and brushed his cheek with her lips. “You have more family than you know.”
The priestess ran back to the river bank, her feet splashing through the dark water before they dug into the warm sand. She stooped to pick up one of two clean sheets she brought with them, quickly swaddling herself in it before grabbing the second one and tossing it at Inuyasha as his feet reached the dry bank. The two helped rub each other dry before sliding into clean clothing. Kagome gathered the wet sheets and dirty clothes, making a bundle of them as Inuyasha retrieved her other bathing items. He took a step towards the priestess and then suddenly paused. Even in the dark Kagome could see his back stiffen as he cocked his head to one side.
“What's wrong?” she asked nervously as she tried to locate the source of Inuyasha's concern.
“Nothing,” he mumbled as he covered the short distance to her. “I was just making sure.”
“You didn't act like it was nothing.”
“Guess I'm just a little spooked after those soldiers brought that dead wolf in today.”
“So, you heard something?”
“Nothing for you to worry about,” Inuyasha said, grateful for the darkness that hid any concern that might show on his face. “There's nothing for miles.”
“Don't scare me like that,” Kagome sighed in relief. “You had me worried for a moment.”
“Sorry.” He grabbed the bundle from Kagome's hands and sprinted ahead down the path, making sure not to get too far ahead. “The sooner the others get their baths, the sooner we can lock up for the night,” he said as he paused to let her catch up with him.
After a moment, Inuyasha broke the silence. “Remind me to ask the builders to add a wooden door to our room.”
“Why would you want to do that?”
“It's the only way I can see for us to get any privacy in this place anymore,” he complained as they walked the last stretch of path to the temple.
The visiting guards nodded from their positions in front of Kikyou's tomb, smiling when Kagome waved to them and wished them a good night. Inuyasha and Kagome circled the temple and entered.
The others were lounging around the main chamber, waiting for deity and priestess to return.
“Kagome!” Shippou danced around the priestess, nearly tripping her in his enthusiasm.
“Damn it, Shippou!” Inuyasha warned as he grabbed the priestess' elbow to steady her.
“I'm afraid our little kitsune had a few too many sweets,” Sango explained as Shippou jumped into Kagome's arms and circled his arms around her neck.
“I didn't think a few cakes would hurt the kid,” Miroku said his defense.
“Well, Shippou can burn off his energy at the river,” Kagome laughed as she untangled the boy's arms and gently lowered him to the floor. “I think next time we'll have to be a little less generous with the sweets, though.”
“What the hell?” Inuyasha was behind the small altar, rummaging through the food items stored there. “He ate them all!” he snarled as he pulled out a balled piece of cloth and spread it on top of the altar. All that was left of the cakes that had been brought in offering was crumbs.
“Now, Inuyasha,” Kagome said sternly while Shippou hid behind her legs. “He's just a…”
“I know, `he's a child',” the deity snapped as he leapt to a point on the floor just in front of his priestess. “He's a damned kitsune, and for all we know he could be older than anyone else here!”
“Kagome!” Shippou buried his face in the fabric of Kagome's gown. His voice shook with fear as his tiny hands clung to her legs. “Inuyasha's going to hurt me!”
Kagome turned to Sango. “Take Shippou down to the river for his bath.” She watched as her friend nodded and herded the frightened kitsune to the door, along with Miroku and Kohaku. “As for you…”
Inuyasha shook his head. “I wasn't going to hurt the kid.”
“Well, maybe not, but he didn't know that,” she chided softly. The priestess pushed herself up on her toes to give the deity a kiss on his cheek. “Would you at least try to be nicer to Shippou?”
“I am being nice,” he grunted.
“It's going to take some adjusting,” Kagome sighed. “So much has happened, so quickly…”
Inuyasha slid one arm around her and held her close for a moment before sweeping her into his arms and carrying her to their room. A single lamp burned on the low table next to the bed, casting most of the room in shadows as Inuyasha lowered Kagome onto the soft bed. He lowered himself onto it next to her and pulled her to him.
“Inuyasha,” she said breathlessly as his hands ran over the silken fabric covered her back. She arched her back, pressing her chest into him when he lightly dragged his nails along her spine.
The silver-haired deity slid one hand to her shoulder, loosening the strap on her dress and pulling lightly down on the fabric. He shifted his body towards the foot of the bed, bringing his mouth level with Kagome's exposed breast.
Kagome gasped with pleasure as Inuyasha's tongue darted over the dark circle of her areola. Her nipple hardened under his attention, sending the sensation of pleasure over her entire body. Inuyasha's teeth nipped playfully at the firm button before pulling the tip into his mouth.
“Yes,” she whispered as Inuyasha's hand traveled to her free breast, spreading his fingers around it and gently kneading the firm orb. Inuyasha shifted his position again, rocking Kagome onto her back as he held himself just over her. Proof of his arousal pressed firmly into her thigh, and he pulsed his hips against her as his lips and tongue continued to tease and excite her breast.
“Kagome,” he mumbled. His breath was coming in short bursts as he let his own desire flood through him. He leaned heavily on one arm while his other hand traveled to Kagome's hip, sliding it behind her and pulling her against him. Inuyasha pushed his body along hers, bringing his hips level with hers before kissing her deeply.
The priestess moaned as Inuyasha pressed his hardened manhood against her. The only thing separating him from the warm wetness growing between her legs was the thin film of their clothing, and he moved his hand to the hem of her gown.
“Kagome!” Shippou's frightened squeal echoed through the outer chamber. The kitsune shot through the doorway, knocking down the woven mat that served as the door. He burrowed between Inuyasha and Kagome, oblivious to what he had just interrupted.
“Shippou? What's wrong?” Kagome pulled the strap of her gown into place as she sat up. Shippou's eyes were dark and wide, his extreme fear evident even in the scant light from the oil lamp.
“I...heard…it!” His breath came in gasps, making it hard for him to talk.
Inuyasha jumped to his feet, a look of agitation on his face. But, his concern didn't appear to be Shippou's interruption. The hanyou looked up at one of the windows, his head tilted slightly to one side. His ears twitched as he sought the sound that had brought Shippou barreling into their room, interrupting what was to be a night of pleasure with his woman.
There it was. Inuyasha could hear the howl. Only this time, it was different. A second voice answered the first, involved in what he could only guess was a type of communication between the wolves. A third howl sounded, its timbre different than the first two, indicating a third animal.
“Damn it, Shippou,” he growled without emotion. His words were flat, as thought he were only using them to cover something else. His gaze shifted to the kitsune for a moment before moving back to the window.
“What's wrong?” Kagome asked and she hugged the shivering kitsune to her.
“It's those damned wolves,” Inuyasha snarled. He turned and took in Kagome's concerned expression. “Don't worry, they're a long way from here.”
“I don't hear them,” she offered.
“You don't have our hearing,” Inuyasha said as he tipped his head towards Shippou. A youkai's hearing is better than a human's.
Kagome nodded and whispered quietly to Shippou. The child was beginning to calm down.
A sound in the main chamber caught Inuyasha's attention and he raced to investigate. Miroku, Sango, and Kohaku stood near the main door, draped in sheets and still wet. It was obvious they had not had time to finish their baths.
“What happened to Shippou?” Sango asked in concern.
“He got spooked by something,” the deity said with a shrug. He glanced at Miroku and widened his eyes slightly, indicating the situation was more than his words had indicated.
“I'm getting out of this sheet,” the priest said quickly and disappeared into his room. He reappeared a moment later, wearing his usual kilt. “I hate being wet,” he explained before looking at Inuyasha. The deity nodded slightly.
“Well, Kohaku and I need to dry off,” Sango said as she ushered her brother into the room Miroku had just left.
“What's up?” Miroku said as Inuyasha motioned the priest to follow him outside. They walked in silence until they reached the spot where Setne and Hapu were getting ready for their nighttime shifts.
“The wolves are closer,” Inuyasha said bluntly. He motioned in the direction of the mountains. “The other night I could barely hear them, but this time, they are definitely closer.”
“How close?”
The deity looked at his priest. “Too close.”
“So, what do you want us to do?”
“We're going to secure the temple, and then I'm coming back outside to look for them.”
“What about us, my lord?” Hapu said nervously.
“You should be fine. The wolves are going after livestock, and we don't have any here at the temple,” Inuyasha explained.
“If you have any problems, come to the door and we'll let you in,” Miroku added. He turned and looked at his deity. “What should I do?”
“You're going to stay here at the temple and make sure everyone's safe.” He glanced back at the stone building. “There's no way those wolves are going to get in there, but I still want you here…just in case.”
Inuyasha and Miroku walked back to the temple. Sango was standing near the center of the main chamber, looking worried as the men returned. Kohaku was already curled up on the cushions that served as his bed.
“Okay, tell me the truth,” she said as she studied Miroku's face.
“Shippou heard a wolf,” the priest explained as Inuyasha moved to the temple doors and secured them.
“The wolves are here?” Sango said, her voice full of concern.
Inuyasha shook his head as he returned to the others. “They're not here, but…”
“But, what?”
“They are closer than they were before. And, there are definitely more of them.”
“I'm going to stay here at the temple,” Miroku explained. “Inuyasha is going hunting. Those wolves aren't going to know what hit them.”
“I'm counting on you,” Inuyasha said pointedly to Miroku.
“Nothing's going to happen to Kagome.”
The deity grunted and walked to his room, frowning at the torn mat that lay on the floor just inside the door. Without looking at Kagome, he picked it up and tried to reattach it over the doorway. When he was done, the woven reeds hung haphazardly over the opening, but gave the semblance of some privacy.
Inuyasha turned to look at Kagome. She sat on the bed with several pillows propped behind her back. Shippou was curled up in her arms, the steady rhythm of his snoring proof that he had already fallen asleep.
The deity walked to the edge of the bed, and sat down, sliding across the soft mattress until he was sitting next to his priestess. “We talk to the builders about a real door to our room in the morning.”
Kagome nodded silently, her unspoken question obvious.
“There's nothing for you to worry about,” he assured her. “There's no sign that the wolves are anywhere close to here.”
The priestess looked down at her sleeping charge and absently stroked his head. “What about the town?”
“The wolves are a long way away, but I figured I'd check on things. Just to be sure everything's all right.”
“I want to come with you,” Kagome said. She shifted on the bed, lifting Shippou to lay him on the pile of pillows.
“No, Kagome,” Inuyasha said as he placed a hand on her arm. “There's nothing for you to do out there. Even if those wolves would come close to the temple or the town, I can handle it on my own.”
“I have my bow.”
“Good,” Inuyasha said as he lightly patted her arm. “You'll be here to help Miroku and Sango if anything would happen.” He kissed Kagome gently before standing up.
“Be careful.”
He leaned down to kiss her again. “Don't worry. They're just fucking wolves. I can handle them.”
Inuyasha leapt to the rafters in the ceiling above them. Kagome could hear the sound of stone against stone as he shifted one section of the roof up and over, exposing an opening to the roof. For a moment, his shape was silhouetted against the faint moonlight outside, and then he was gone.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Inuyasha jumped silently to the ground just outside the temple. A quick circuit of the building assured him that everything was secure, and he stopped to check with the guards.
Setne was curled up on his blankets, snoring loudly. Hapu snapped to attention at the deity's approach.
“My lord!”
“You don't have to do that,” Inuyasha complained, feeling uncomfortable at the soldier's formality. “I just wanted to see if there was anything new.”
“No, my lord,” the soldier said as he relaxed. “We haven't seen or heard anything out of the ordinary.”
“Good,” Inuyasha said as he turned to leave. He sprinted to the river and made a route circling the temple and to the town.
Torches burned at intervals along the main path through the town. Several men patrolled the streets, looking up in surprise when Inuyasha approached. None of the men had seen or heard anything out of the ordinary, so Inuyasha moved off to the pens of livestock beyond the town.
A number of sheep slumbered in a large pen. Several goats roamed in an adjoining area, but seemed to be undisturbed. Inuyasha paused to check with the dozing herders, but again, heard nothing of concern.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The night wore on, but Inuyasha could find no sign of the wolves. He heard several howls, but they were distant, as they had been the first night her heard them. The moon traveled across the sky as Inuyasha continued to make his rounds, but he began to think he had been worrying for no reason.
He turned and headed back in the direction of his temple. The darkened silhouette of the stone building was accented by the glow of Setne and Hapu's campfire from behind, adding to the darkness at the front. Inuyasha slowed to a walk, studying three shadows that detached themselves from the gloom. His keen senses picked up the scent immediately. Wolves. The canines snarled and growled as they crept towards their prey. One stopped to lose a mournful howl as his comrades continued ahead.
Only three of them, Inuyasha thought as he leapt forward and slashed at what appeared to be the largest of the group. His claws slashed through the neck and shoulder of the beast, dropping it to the ground in a bloody, mangled heap. The other two wolves snarled and hurled themselves at he deity. He caught the first by the throat, twisting his hand to snap it's neck as he spun to face his final attacker. The lone wolf skirted him, making an attempt to attack from behind. Inuyasha was too swift, and jumped skyward before the wolf could reach him. The hanyou came down hard on the creature, breaking its back with his weight and momentum.
Inuyasha paused and searched the area with his senses. He could hear Setne and Hapu running in his direction, a torch held high in Setne's hand. The soldiers stopped and stared at the remains of the intruders.
“Are you all right, my Lord?”
“They're just regular wolves,” Inuyasha said with a shrug. “Hardly worth fighting.” He turned slowly where he stood, reaching out with his senses. Except for the stink of the corpses at his feet and their blood as it trickled into the desert sand, nothing was amiss.
“Would you like us to dispose of them?” Hapu asked.
“Just do something about the blood,” Inuyasha instructed as he slung the carcasses over his shoulder and sprinted away. He sped down the path to the river and jumped over, racing through the sand and rocks until he felt he had gone far enough. He dropped the dead wolves and quickly dug a pit. In minutes he had buried the bloody remains and headed back to the river.
The cool water ran past him, taking with it the blood that covered him. He dove under the dark surface, shaking his head as he ran his hands through his long, silvery locks. It didn't take long to wash the remaining blood from his body and clothing, and soon he walked to the sandy beach on the temple's side of the river. Rivulets of water trickled down his chest and back, and he started running, letting the nighttime air dry his hair and kilt. He circled the temple several times before checking the work of the soldiers.
His nose picked up the blood scent, but it was already fading where the men had dug and covered the area with clean sand. Something would have to be done to purge the area of the smell. That, however, could wait until morning. Inuyasha turned back to the temple. He reached the wall outside his room quickly, and was on the roof in a single, cat-light leap. He took a moment to test the air again, but could sense nothing but the dying odor of the wolves' drying blood.
The ceiling panel grated lightly as he slid it back into place. Inuyasha jumped down and turned, surprised as Kagome hurdled herself into his arms.
“What…?”
“I was so scared,” the priestess said. Her voice quivered with pent up emotion. “I heard the wolves, and when you didn't come right back…”
“You think I can't handle a couple of wimpy wolves?”
“I didn't know what to think. I could hear them growling and you yelling, and then…nothing. You didn't come back and I thought something might have happened to you.” Kagome's voice broke as she began to cry.
Inuyasha held her to him, gently stroking her hair as he whispered in her ear. “In the future, you don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself. I didn't come right back because I had to bury the fucking wolves. The last thing we need are other animals coming around to feed off the remains.”
“Inuyasha.”
“Don't you trust me to protect you?”
“I trust you,” the priestess said. Her shoulders shook slightly as she tried to get her emotions under control.
“You were supposed to be sleeping,” he chided softly as he lifted her gently in his arms and returned her to the bed.
Shippou was curled up in a make-shift nest of pillows and sheets. He mumbled something inaudible in his sleep as he turned onto his other side.
“Damned kitsune,” Inuyasha grumbled as he sat Kagome on the edge of the bed. He lifted the child and instructed the priestess to get into bed. She obliged and held out her hands to accept Shippou's dozing form.
“Where are you going?” she said nervously when Inuyasha walked to the door.
“Just making sure everyone's all right,” he grunted as he pushed the woven reed mat aside and looked into the main chamber. All seemed normal, so he quickly returned to his bed, climbing in next to Kagome and sliding his arms around her.
“Are you sure you're all right?” she said as she studied his face and chest. The blood from the wolves was gone, and there was no sign of injuries on him.
“I told you, I can take care of myself. Besides, it was just a few lousy wolves. Shippou could have handled them.”
“I love you,” Kagome said as she snuggled against him and kissed his neck. “I can't help but worry.”
“Just go to sleep,” Inuyasha said before kissing the sleepy priestess. “We're going to have to finish cleaning up in the morning, and you need your rest.”
“Good-night.”
Shippou echoed the sentiment with a loud snore, totally oblivious to what was happening around him.
You get a reprieve, Inuyasha thought as he looked at the sleeping kitsune. But, tomorrow night you are not sleeping in our bed!
Kagome followed Shippou in sleep, content to be in her husband's arms. It was late, and the sun would be rising in just a couple more hours.
Inuyasha stroked Kagome's hair lightly as he focused his attention to the sounds and smells outside the temple. He could here the usual night noises - birds and insects and small animals. Nothing seemed out of place, but he didn't to allow himself to sleep. He would be ready if anything else happened.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Not far from the temple, a lone figure stood on a rocky outcropping. The pre-dawn darkness hid his features, allowing only his outline to be seen, had anyone been there to see it. He was tall and muscular, and wore little clothing. A light breeze tussled his hair, which hung in a long ponytail down his back. He tilted his head back and sniffed the air, memorizing the scent of his quarry.
A desolate howl sounded in the distance. The figure turned and raced towards its source. He glanced back over his shoulder as he ran. I'll be back.